Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On ‎03‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:54 PM, janie jones said:

I disagree.  If he purchased the chips with the intention of sharing them (and with the understanding of everyone in the household that they are to share), then he isn't entitled to all of the chips.  If he bought them with no intention of sharing them, then it isn't calling dibs, it's eating the chips he bought for himself, and he needs to just tell his family that these chips are not for them. 

I'm with you on this one.  I find the father obnoxious, not the kids.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I do, too.  OTC stuff is one thing, but you can't get prescription drugs without a prescription.  If you don't trust your doctor, or want information, then do research from medical journals and whatnot.  Don't get your health info from commercials.

That's fine, but sometimes you don't even know there's a new treatment for something, and therefore don't know to ask your doctor about it.  I mean, most of these commercials are terrible, but they're not completely void of usefulness.

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I do, too.  OTC stuff is one thing, but you can't get prescription drugs without a prescription.  If you don't trust your doctor, or want information, then do research from medical journals and whatnot.  Don't get your health info from commercials.

I was an office manager for a engineering firm and part of my job was selecting our health insurance plans each year. I was asking why some drugs had a much higher co-pay than others. I was told whatever you saw advertised on tv was gonna be the ones that had the higher co-pay.

• Love 3

There's a super weird commercial for Nike  Reebok that has a bunch of guys playing basketball, then suddenly a little girl shows up and she looks sort of like Samara from The Ring, and she looks like she's going to do the splits? Then stops halfway, which makes me think she's going to pee on the floor. It's super weird and super creepy and I can't find a link to it anywhere. 

Edited by iMonrey
Oops, it's Reebok. Thanks Brattinella!
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I was an office manager for a engineering firm and part of my job was selecting our health insurance plans each year. I was asking why some drugs had a much higher co-pay than others. I was told whatever you saw advertised on tv was gonna be the ones that had the higher co-pay.

Of course.  They have to pay for that advertising somehow.

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:31 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Before the comic Paula Poundstone adopted her kids, she used to keep take-out menus in her dishwasher.

So now that's where she keeps her children?

• LOL 11
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

There have been numerous studies published that show that doctors do not listen to women. My own OB/Gyn told me that while he was in medical school they were taught that period cramps were all in womens heads and nonexistent. 

Any male doctor who told me that would have severe cramps in a certain part of his body after I kicked him in his private parts.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Any male doctor who told me that would have severe cramps in a certain part of his body after I kicked him in his private parts.

He didn't agree with it he was just telling me what they taught him in med school.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

There's a super weird commercial for Nike that has a bunch of guys playing basketball, then suddenly a little girl shows up and she looks sort of like Samara from The Ring, and she looks like she's going to do the splits? Then stops halfway, which makes me think she's going to pee on the floor. It's super weird and super creepy and I can't find a link to it anywhere. 

Horrible ad.  Scary as hell.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I remembered an episode of Emergency where people were going to the ER thinking they had a certain medical condition they saw on a medical television show. It is interesting how people can see something on television, or now on the internet, and think they have a certain medical issue or need to take a certain medication.

When I was a kid in the 50s, the Miami Herald carried a column called "Ask Dr. Molnar" - people would write in with symptoms and he'd diagnose them (!) My grandmother managed to "have" everything Dr. Molnar diagnosed. Too bad he didn't diagnose cirrhosis of the liver, 'cause that's the one thing she DID have & didn't know it.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, mmecorday said:

In the commercial for the COPD drug with the kid's "Three Little Pigs" themed birthday party, the announcer says, "Tell your doctor if you have high blood pressure." Most office visits involve a physician's assistant taking the patient's vitals, so the doctor would know if a patient had high blood pressure without being told.

Sort of yes and no? If you always go to the same doctor and every time they take your blood pressure it's high, they'll diagnose you with high blood pressure and they'll know it/it'll be in your file. If you go to any one doctor once and they take your blood pressure and it's high at that time, the nurse (in my experience) will ask you "do you have high blood pressure?" and the snark in me would want to say "you're the one with the device measuring it" but they are expecting you to tell them that you generally do have high blood pressure vs if it's normally fine. If it's never been high before, they're not going to jump to you having high blood pressure as a diagnosis. They'll probably ask a ton of questions about why it might be high today. They might even take it again later. It's only after a pattern of it being consistently high that you'll be labeled as someone with high blood pressure. But you can avoid that back and forth altogether if you open with "I have high blood pressure" before the nurse takes it, and then nobody's surprised when it's high. So while the commercial is probably suggesting telling your doctor about your high blood pressure in order to get you into a discussion of blood pressure medication with your doctor or to be wary of the HBP conflicting with other drugs, it's still reasonable for the patient to bring up having it or not vs just leaving it to "they took my blood pressure when I walked in".

• Useful 1
On 3/25/2019 at 10:35 AM, funky-rat said:

I don't even know what product it's for, because I run screaming every time the commercial comes on, but every four or so words are "For Baby".  And they say those words louder than the others.  Make...it.....stop.

Baby is not a proper noun!(*) For your baby, for the baby, for a baby, fine. For Baby - grr.

Does anyone in the real world ever use it that way? Seems like I've been hearing it in ads all my life.

(*) Unless she's Dirty Dancing. And you don't put her in a corner.

• LOL 9
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, theatremouse said:

Sort of yes and no? If you always go to the same doctor and every time they take your blood pressure it's high, they'll diagnose you with high blood pressure and they'll know it/it'll be in your file. If you go to any one doctor once and they take your blood pressure and it's high at that time, the nurse (in my experience) will ask you "do you have high blood pressure?" and the snark in me would want to say "you're the one with the device measuring it" but they are expecting you to tell them that you generally do have high blood pressure vs if it's normally fine. If it's never been high before, they're not going to jump to you having high blood pressure as a diagnosis. They'll probably ask a ton of questions about why it might be high today. They might even take it again later. It's only after a pattern of it being consistently high that you'll be labeled as someone with high blood pressure. But you can avoid that back and forth altogether if you open with "I have high blood pressure" before the nurse takes it, and then nobody's surprised when it's high. So while the commercial is probably suggesting telling your doctor about your high blood pressure in order to get you into a discussion of blood pressure medication with your doctor or to be wary of the HBP conflicting with other drugs, it's still reasonable for the patient to bring up having it or not vs just leaving it to "they took my blood pressure when I walked in".

Exactly.  In my second pregnancy, one of my pre-natal appointments registered a high reading.  They asked me about it because I didn't have a history of high BP.  I had just had another of many long knock-down drag-out fights with my husband, which was why it was high.  Long story short, I left him eight months after the child was born and we were divorced later.  Yes, if you don't have a written history of high BP, they will ask you if there's a reading that isn't in normal range.

11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My dentist has started taking my blood pressure. (Well, not the dentist, the hygienist.) 

My eye doctor took my blood pressure once since high blood pressure can affect your eyes along with certain blood pressure medications can cause dry eyes and eye pain.

11 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Baby is not a proper noun!(*) For your baby, for the baby, for a baby, fine. For Baby - grr.

Does anyone in the real world ever use it that way? Seems like I've been hearing it in ads all my life.

I've never heard people do it in real life, but they always say it on Call the Midwife and I find it off-putting.

12 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Or a leopard in 1938, cavorting with Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant:  "I can't give you anything but love, Baby!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Jamoche said:

They do the same thing in the Burlington (formerly Coat Factory) ad "Everything for baby." Ugh.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Katy M said:

I would straight up punch anyone who said that to me. 

I get annoyed enough with my mom when she tells me cramps aren't supposed to make me throw up.  Well, what do you want from me?  They obviously do whether they are "supposed" to or not.

I have PCOS, and that time of the month is pure hell.  My mom always goes off with "I had bad cramps too".  "I had heavy bleeding too".  As if my inability to get off the couch because I'm in so much pain is faking.  Maybe she had heavy bleeding too, but she never had to explain to a garage worker that the seat in your car need cleaned and it's covered under warranty because it's a human body fluid, and then had to explain what it is so they can use the correct chemicals?  Or had to keep a change of clothing at work?  Dropped blood clots bigger than her hand?  Changed out hygiene products on the hour, and still went through?  I didn't think so......so just STFU.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I have PCOS, and that time of the month is pure hell.  My mom always goes off with "I had bad cramps too".  "I had heavy bleeding too".  As if my inability to get off the couch because I'm in so much pain is faking.  Maybe she had heavy bleeding too, but she never had to explain to a garage worker that the seat in your car need cleaned and it's covered under warranty because it's a human body fluid, and then had to explain what it is so they can use the correct chemicals?  Or had to keep a change of clothing at work?  Dropped blood clots bigger than her hand?  Changed out hygiene products on the hour, and still went through?  I didn't think so......so just STFU.

{{{HUGS}}} No heavy bleeding with endometriosis, but I remember the pain and bloating. The first period after the doctors took out the cyst and left ovary was bad enough. Throw in Graves Disease, and I was ready to call up the doctor and tell him to take out everything I did not need anymore because of the pain and other lovely symptoms I was having. I thought I was going through early menopause.

2 hours ago, fairffaxx said:

Or a leopard in 1938, cavorting with Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant:  "I can't give you anything but love, Baby!"

2 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Or Kojak saying "Who loves ya, baby!"

But in those cases, they are using "baby" in place of a person's name, not referring to a baby.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

And I was ready to call up the doctor and tell him to take out everything I did not need anymore because of the pain and other lovely symptoms I was having

I had chronic PID when I was about 19, and after about the third or fourth bout with it, I begged the doctors to take everything.  They made me wait til I was 25 (in case I ever wanted a baby. I didn't.)

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 4
(edited)

I am cranky right now due to not feeling well (mild hypothyroid and sinuses and/or allergies kicking in.) I am ready to send an email or call Nutrisystem and ask them to use a different spokesperson because I cannot stand Marie Osmond at all.

Edited by bigskygirl
  • Love 1

I'm sorry you're not feeling well, bigskygirl. Marie annoys me to no end as well. I don't like the women on the Jenny Craig commercials either. That one girl who looks like Elle Fanning needs to stop slouching. 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I'm sorry you're not feeling well, bigskygirl. Marie annoys me to no end as well. I don't like the women on the Jenny Craig commercials either. That one girl who looks like Elle Fanning needs to stop slouching. 

Thank you. Marie is just as bad as when they had Kristie Alley doing the commercial. It seems like they get the most obnoxious celebrities who lost some weight to do the commercials over and over again.

50 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Thank you. Marie is just as bad as when they had Kristie Alley doing the commercial. It seems like they get the most obnoxious celebrities who lost some weight to do the commercials over and over again.

Marie's are not even commercials, they're completely phony baloney infomercials. All that "Hey woman, look at you!" You're no bigger than a minute!" I hate that folksy down home crap coming from multi millionaires.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

Marie's are not even commercials, they're completely phony baloney infomercials. All that "Hey woman, look at you!" You're no bigger than a minute!" I hate that folksy down home crap coming from multi millionaires.

to be fair, she wasn't always a multi-millionaire.  She's from Ogden, Utah. She has 8 older brothers.  She started out singing country music.  That's probably just the way she actually talks.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Speaking of multi-millionaires doing weight loss commercials, Oprah is featured in a new WW ad in which she's talking "face to face" with people on their tablets and hand-held devices, congratulating them on their success. Shortening Weight Watches to WW is stupid. It sounds like she can't think of a web address. "I dunno. It's WW-something."

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Speaking of multi-millionaires doing weight loss commercials, Oprah is featured in a new WW ad in which she's talking "face to face" with people on their tablets and hand-held devices, congratulating them on their success. Shortening Weight Watches to WW is stupid. It sounds like she can't think of a web address. "I dunno. It's WW-something."

Or "Women's Wrassling", an attempt at reviving GLOW from the 1980's.

I noticed that the "civility" PSA I hate so much is back in circulation. For those who not remember, this one features a heated argument between two politicians in a town hall meeting that gets interrupted by what's spssd to be a cute precocious little girl saying something stupid about them needing a time out, followed by everyone pondering her pearls o' wisdom. Ugh, it just annoys the crap out of me.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
47 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

It also takes longer to say. Weight Watchers is 3 syllables. WW is 6.  And it looks weird when typed.

• LOL 2
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

It also takes longer to say. Weight Watchers is 3 syllables. WW is 6.  And it looks weird when typed.

LOL!  I ALWAYS sound out syllables and stuff, deciding which is more concise.  :)

• Love 3
(edited)
8 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I noticed that the "civility" PSA I hate so much is back in circulation. For those who not remember, this one features a heated argument between two politicians in a town hall meeting that gets interrupted by what's spssd to be a cute precocious little girl saying something stupid about them needing a time out, followed by everyone pondering her pearls o' wisdom. Ugh, it just annoys the crap out of me.

I remember that one. It's one of those preachy-ass Values.com PSAs. I haven't seen one in years. Thank goodness.

https://ispot.tv/a/7wgp

Edited by InDueTime
  • Love 2

One ad that I thought had run it's course and been taken out behind the barn and shot and chopped up into steak and hamburgers has inexplicably re-appeared on tv.

Can you tell I'm not a fan?

I think it's for Home Depot, but it might be for Target. It's one of those "order using our app because you are too lazy to actually come into our store and y'know, SHOP, and thus maybe enable us to give SOME of our employees a .01 cent raise. But thanks to your laziness that won't be happening. What might be happening is one of those employees becoming hooked on drugs and overdosing and dying. Seriously, your life can't POSSIBLY be so busy that you don't have half an hour to stroll around our MAGNIFICENT store. We've even got Caramel M&M's!!! In those huge 5 lb bags!!!! But NO, you're too lazy to do more than dick around on your phone and make our employees run all over the goddamn store plucking YOUR items off the shelves and holding them in a special place for you so you can just ooze your lazy ass in and pick up your stuff and flee" type ads.

You know the one I'm talkin' 'bout, right? The guy goes over and says some garbage about needing some office supplies for the team and the employee says, "And two boxes of Twizzler?!" And the dude says, "For the team. GOOOO TEEEEAAAAM!" and then he slinks away, hopefully to get blindsided by a delivery truck in the parking lot.

What annoys me is the way he says, "Go team."

What annoys me more is the sound of the plastic wrapping on the Twizzers boxes crinkling and crackling.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
(edited)

Yeah, that's Staples.  I have a feeling those Twizzlers aren't really for the team, but are going to end up in his kitchen.  As far as being too lazy to shop, I find my local stores often do not have what I'm looking for so I end up buying online and shipping to the store anyway.  

Oops.  Office Depot. Thanks for the correction, KillingAdam. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 8
18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Kelly Le Brock was raised in the wealthy London suburb of Kensington. I seriously doubt she's the folksy type.

I wasn't implying she's folksy, but rather she's rich Hollywood movie star telling everyone else how to live their lives.  Reminds me of the Firesign Theatre's "The Howl of the Wolf Movie": "Presenting honest stories of working people as told by rich Hollywood movie stars."

• Love 3
8 hours ago, KillingAdam said:

You know the one I'm talkin' 'bout, right? The guy goes over and says some garbage about needing some office supplies for the team and the employee says, "And two boxes of Twizzler?!" And the dude says, "For the team. GOOOO TEEEEAAAAM!" and then he slinks away, hopefully to get blindsided by a delivery truck in the parking lot.

Yeah, I hate the way he says "go team" and it's obvious those are for his personal stache, as if the employee gives a shit about what he bought.

• Love 4
(edited)

I am still trying to figure out the one Liberty Mutual commercial where a driver makes a turn and scratches another vehicle. How wide did the driver turn, and was the vehicle he or she scratches parked, or was the vehicle at a stop sign or traffic light.

Edited by bigskygirl
1 minute ago, bigskygirl said:

I am still trying to figure out the one Liberty Mutual commercial where a driver makes a turn and scraps a vehicle. How wide did the driver turn, and was the vehicle he scraped was parked or was the vehicle at a stop sign or traffic light.

The way I understand this one is the other vehicle is moving in the opposite direction, meaning, a collision.

• Love 3
On 4/1/2019 at 3:48 PM, Katy M said:

Yeah, but you could mistakenly think, "WW = Winfrey, Winfrey!"  ...and isn't it more important that we think about OPRAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Yeah, but you could mistakenly think, "WW = Winfrey, Winfrey!"  ...and isn't it more important that we think about OPRAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I's rather think"Dub-Dub" - Wendy Watson from the late, great "Middleman"

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Haleth said:

Yeah, that's Staples.  I have a feeling those Twizzlers aren't really for the team, but are going to end up in his kitchen.  As far as being too lazy to shop, I find my local stores often do not have what I'm looking for so I end up buying online and shipping to the store anyway.  

Why can’t he say the Twizzlers are for him?  Ain’t nothing wrong with liking Twizzlers...

*raises arm to shield self from flying produce*

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, smittykins said:

Why can’t he say the Twizzlers are for him?  Ain’t nothing wrong with liking Twizzlers...

*raises arm to shield self from flying produce*

I don't see the need for the cashier to comment on anyone's purchases at all. 

• Love 19