Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 3/20/2019 at 12:53 PM, smittykins said:

Confession:  My apartment has a dishwasher, and I’ve never used it(and I’ve lived here almost a year).  I live alone, and it would take probably at least a week to amass a full load like they recommend, and it’s just quicker to wash them by hand.

I used to live (also alone) in an apartment with a dishwasher (one drawer in the entire kitchen, but I had a dishwasher 🙄). I mostly used it as a drying rack after I washed dishes by hand (little counter space; didn't need a countertop rack taking up any of it). I think I actually ran the thing once or twice in the year I lived there (and it didn't seem to work that great, anyway).

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:52 AM, Deni said:

I’m annoyed by the Huggies commercial where the woman is bouncing her baby on her lap on the subway train, saying that her baby isn’t wet after 5 stops. If you look at everyone on the train, they are wearing long-sleeved shirts. The baby is wearing only a diaper, and a short-sleeved shirt. Does the mother really take her baby out in cold weather like that?

What's worse to me is that the mother pulls out the side of the diaper to see if the baby has pooped. Please never do that when you're sitting next to me on public transportation.  Keep it inside your and their pants.

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
30 minutes ago, Brookside said:

What's worse to me is that the mother pulls out the side of the diaper to see if the baby has pooped. Please never do that when you're sitting next to me on public transportation.  Keep it inside your and their pants.

THIS.  Seriously.

• Love 8
21 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I don't really understand what you mean? I don't think more (English) characters would help. But I'm probably the wrong audience since I can read Japanese (ish) so I know what the possible vowels are. There's only one way to pronounce ra-ku-te-n. If it were supposed to be ra-kyu-te-n it'd end up spelled that way. If the question is about which syllable gets the emphasis, the spelling doesn't help there either.

According to their ad, the correct pronunciation is RACK-uh-ten and spelling it "rackuhten" would probably work for that. I'm not sure there's a good way to translate the syllables individually  in a generic way that'll get you an unambiguous ra-ku-te-n. A "koo" would probably work more often that "ku", but the last two really need to be done together.

On 3/22/2019 at 12:57 PM, Tom Holmberg said:

The Japanese say the same thing about Lumber Liquidators.

Rachel and Jun (of JunsKitchen) have an interesting video about why native Japanese speakers have trouble with L and R. (He's Japanese, she's American, and they live in Japan. And I want her hair.) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4MsJHn-lRA

I have mixed feelings about the chewy.com commercials. If you need advice on what to feed your puppy, ask your vet! And how exactly is he supposed to help you put together a crate over the phone? But on the other hand, puppy! 🐕

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I have mixed feelings about the chewy.com commercials. If you need advice on what to feed your puppy, ask your vet!

The point of  that chewy.com commercial is the pet didn't like the food the person ordered and they wanted to return it. Chewy told them to donate the food to a shelter, they would refund his money, and send a sampler to see what food the pet liked. A vet isn't going to tell you what kind of food your pet likes.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

The point of  that chewy.com commercial is the pet didn't like the food the person ordered and they wanted to return it. Chewy told them to donate the food to a shelter, they would refund his money, and send a sampler to see what food the pet liked. A vet isn't going to tell you what kind of food your pet likes.

No, that's a different one (that's a picky-eater cat). This is a woman asking for advice on what to feed the new puppy, while her hapless husband struggles to put together a crate. 

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/IpW1/chewy-com-puppy-training

• Love 2

Most vets don't know much about nutrition (at least feline nutrition, but I suspect it's the same for canine) - thus all the Hill's and Royal Canin for sale in many clinics.  Not that a random customer service rep for a pet food & supply company would be better, but - may not be any worse.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Katy M said:

It's ironic if he decided to buy cigarettes because of the commercial.

Nah, that's just everybody's reaction to a The Truth ad - even if they've never smoked.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

Really, though, you should have the crate put together and have toys, the collar and leash, and even puppy pads BEFORE you get the puppy home.  And ask the breeder or shelter or whatever place you got the puppy BEFORE you bring the puppy home what it's been eating and buy the same food.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Most vets don't know much about nutrition (at least feline nutrition, but I suspect it's the same for canine) - thus all the Hill's and Royal Canin for sale in many clinics.  Not that a random customer service rep for a pet food & supply company would be better, but - may not be any worse.

I have to jump in and say veterinarians do take nutrition courses that allow us to understand peer-reviewed evidence-based scientific information about diets for all species (sans humans).  That is exactly why there are products like Hill's and Royal Canin available.

• Love 11
14 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

You have inspired me to create my own Uber-like company that offers free rides, only if you're already at your destination.

This made me second guess myself, so I looked it up to be sure.  The line is "It's a free ride when you've already paid," not "...when you're already there," which is I think what this is referencing.

OK, so my company will offer free rides to customers who have already paid.

I have never been very good at understanding song lyrics. For the longest time, I thought Bono was singing "I believe in King Kong" in the song "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For."

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, Brookside said:

What's worse to me is that the mother pulls out the side of the diaper to see if the baby has pooped.

It bugs me when people put their diapered baby on the counters at fast food restaurants.  I don't want your kid's butt that close to where my food is going to be.

• Love 13
On 3/21/2019 at 4:23 PM, Suzn said:

ITA  So very many commercials show children ruling the house, the family, everything!  The children decide what food they will be served (so many little snowflakes will only eat chicken nuggets); they decide what they will wear (the little girl who will only wear her princess dress or sheriff costume); they even have say so over the choice of the family vehicle.  I don't mean that children should not have some input in areas about their own lives, but what we see non-stop is children dictating to their parents in all matters.

Ugh. The car commercial with the brat who says "Mine" about everything, and then gives mom the evil "I will get you for this" non-smile when mom asks if she's excited about baby sister..... 

I hate this commercial so much that I've even suppressed what brand of car it's for. 

• Love 9

The people behind the newer Progressive commercials should be locked in a small room and made to watch the stupid commercials over and over again as a punishment. If the rest of us have to suffer seeing them, the people behind them should have to suffer with the rest of us.

• Love 2

I don't even know what product it's for, because I run screaming every time the commercial comes on, but every four or so words are "For Baby".  And they say those words louder than the others.  Make...it.....stop.

• Love 11
23 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I don't even know what product it's for, because I run screaming every time the commercial comes on, but every four or so words are "For Baby".  And they say those words louder than the others.  Make...it.....stop.

A-MEN!  For baby for baby!  I think it is a Gerber commercial; remember when those were cute and adorable?

• Love 7
2 hours ago, funky-rat said:

Oh, thank you! I hate that commercial way out of proportion to what they're selling -- baby food -- but it sends me into a tooth-gnashing rage every time until I can mute it. I have nothing against babies since I actually used to be one, but this ad makes me want to smash something. Aargh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

We're all friends here, right? Because I have to vent about the stupid fucking Ice Breakers commercials with the stupid fucking unicorn. The latest one is just the limit. Chick gets a text from some dude and she busts through the wall of his apartment on her SFU. Aaarrrggghhhh!

• LOL 4
  • Love 4

Didn't want to quote the whole string, but somebody upthread comments on how annoying the 'kids rule the household'-type ads are. I'm putting one out there to add to those: Emgality(I think) some kind of medication for migraines- mom is now good to go, and they're gonna play 'Pirates'! They have elaborate yet Etsy-like costumes and a wheelbarrow decked out as a boat. Then they run around the backyard dressed in equally elaborate hand-crafted monster or spaceman costumes. 

I am old, but I is this honestly how modern families spend their time and energy? This seems like pure fantasy for normal families that (by my observation) mostly revolve around fast foods and staring at device screens.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Didn't want to quote the whole string, but somebody upthread comments on how annoying the 'kids rule the household'-type ads are. I'm putting one out there to add to those: Emgality(I think) some kind of medication for migraines- mom is now good to go, and they're gonna play 'Pirates'! They have elaborate yet Etsy-like costumes and a wheelbarrow decked out as a boat. Then they run around the backyard dressed in equally elaborate hand-crafted monster or spaceman costumes. 

I am old, but I is this honestly how modern families spend their time and energy? This seems like pure fantasy for normal families that (by my observation) mostly revolve around fast foods and staring at device screens.

I've wondered about this ridiculous commercial too.  I can't swear it never happens but parents dressing in costumes and spending the day in fantasy play with their children seem far-fetched.  Not to mention, don't children want to play with other children, rather than their mother?  I can't even imagine wanting my mother to play like that when I was a kid!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, Suzn said:

I've wondered about this ridiculous commercial too.  I can't swear it never happens but parents dressing in costumes and spending the day in fantasy play with their children seem far-fetched.  Not to mention, don't children want to play with other children, rather than their mother?  I can't even imagine wanting my mother to play like that when I was a kid!

There were no costumes involved, but I remember when I was around 3 or 4, I always wanted my mom to play house with me.  I'd be the mommy and she'd be the little girl.  I don't remember what that actually consisted of happening, I just know I would always ask her, and sometimes she'd say yes, sometimes she'd say she's busy.  I also liked her to play board games with me.  I would probably drop her like a hot potato if/when other kids came around, though.  I'm a mean inconsiderate little bugger.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5

My youngest step-daughter and her husband play with their kids a lot, particularly on weekends when Dad is home. They have a park nearby where they also play with other kids, while Mom and Dad visit with the other parents. They have a bin full of costumes, so it's not unusual to see someone in costume. Screen time is strictly limited, but reading is encouraged.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
On March 21, 2019 at 12:16 PM, mmecorday said:

The people trying to pronounce Rakuten have succeeded in getting on my last nerve, especially the guy that says, "Ra-COOT-ten!" Not even close, genius.

Yeah, that commercial is annoying. It's a website, who cares if people are pronouncing it 'right' as long as they can spell/type it?

(In fact, they might've been smarter to run a commercial with people arguing about it without providing an actual correct answer or even having an official pronunciation in hopes of causing viewers to debate amongst themselves.)

• Love 4
On 3/3/2019 at 10:32 AM, NinjaPenguins said:

There’s a weird Audi commercial where a woman enters a butcher shop to, I assume, buy a steak or something. The butcher starts talking about how the lady clearly wants something more full-blooded as she leads her deeper into the building. Finally they arrive at a large, darkened room with only an Audi parked in it. The butcher encourages the customer to “dig in”  once said customer is in the driver’s seat. Honestly, until I saw the Audi, I thought this was an ad for a horror movie. 

This.  Every time I see it (which is far too often) I just want the lady to say "No, actually I really just wanted pork chops,  Thanks."

Somebody in marketing should also be fired for the Carite(?) commercials that tell us their motto is "We just don't care".   I get that they're referring to people's credit situation but I don't want to buy something from someone who just doesn't care, lol.

• Love 4

The spring training baseball on MLB Network was sponsored by Best Western, so practically every commercial break, there is an ad where a woman looks down at her phone, wonders aloud, "Today's Best Western.  What does that mean?" with a dopey smile on her face, and then stares with total amazement as a bunch of pictures of the hotels and her features fly out of her phone.  They probably expect viewers to pay attention to the stuff about the hotel, but all I just keep thinking is that the woman doesn't seem very bright.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Suzn said:

Not to mention, don't children want to play with other children, rather than their mother?

I think today most kids don't live in neighborhoods where almost every house had kids their age. When I was a kid I never wanted to do anything in which adults were involved, including sports.  They basically wrecked everything and took all the fun of it and made it like work.  Plus most of the stuff we did parents wouldn't have approved of. And if parents were around, it usually ended up with a lot of yelling.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Love 5
18 hours ago, sempervivum said:

: Emgality(I think) some kind of medication for migraines- mom is now good to go, and they're gonna play 'Pirates'! They have elaborate yet Etsy-like costumes and a wheelbarrow decked out as a boat. Then they run around the backyard dressed in equally elaborate hand-crafted monster or spaceman costumes. 

I remember commercials from 30 years ago when I was a kid, before all the phones and devices, where parents would do pretty high-investment "play" with their kids.  I remember wanting my parents to be that involved, but in reality, I spent most of my free time running the neighborhood playing with friends which was probably healthier.   I think it's just a ploy advertisers use even if the product itself isn't directly related to the activity.  It sets up a vision of a lifestyle in the viewer's mind about what they could do (or should do).  Migrane suffers most likely see that commercial and think "There is no way I could create costumes and act like a pirate with my daughter!  OMG I need those pills!"

Also, regarding the pharmaceutical commercials, they are pretty careful about wording things like "Have a discussion with your doctor about....." or "Talk to your doctor and see if you can agree on a treatment plan for...."   Well no shit, there is no other way to get these drugs.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

I think today most kids don't live in neighborhoods where almost every house had kids their age. When I was a kid I never wanted to do anything in which adults were involved, including sports.  They basically wrecked everything and took all the fun of it and made it like work.  Plus most of the stuff we did parents wouldn't have approved of. And if parents were around, it usually ended up with a lot of yelling.

My nephew has that problem. There just aren't any kids in his neighborhood anywhere near his age to play with. He has friends from school but they live further away so they can't play together every day only on weekends when one of the parents don't have errands and things to do and can watch them. Which isn't that often since they all work during the week. It really stinks. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

Also, regarding the pharmaceutical commercials, they are pretty careful about wording things like "Have a discussion with your doctor about....." or "Talk to your doctor and see if you can agree on a treatment plan for...."   Well no shit, there is no other way to get these drugs. 

Because in a lot of cases, your doctor may not think you need their drug, so he/she doesn't suggest it to you.  The pharma companies want you to push for their drug so they make money off it, not because it's the best treatment for you.

• Love 7

In the commercial for the COPD drug with the kid's "Three Little Pigs" themed birthday party, the announcer says, "Tell your doctor if you have high blood pressure." Most office visits involve a physician's assistant taking the patient's vitals, so the doctor would know if a patient had high blood pressure without being told.

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

In the commercial for the COPD drug with the kid's "Three Little Pigs" themed birthday party, the announcer says, "Tell your doctor if you have high blood pressure." Most office visits involve a physician's assistant taking the patient's vitals, so the doctor would know if a patient had high blood pressure without being told.

That's the FIRST thing the nurse does, takes my blood pressure!  Every single time.  I HATE drug ads!

• Love 11
10 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

That's the FIRST thing the nurse does, takes my blood pressure!  Every single time.  I HATE drug ads!

I do, too.  OTC stuff is one thing, but you can't get prescription drugs without a prescription.  If you don't trust your doctor, or want information, then do research from medical journals and whatnot.  Don't get your health info from commercials.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I do, too.  OTC stuff is one thing, but you can't get prescription drugs without a prescription.  If you don't trust your doctor, or want information, then do research from medical journals and whatnot.  Don't get your health info from commercials.

I remembered an episode of Emergency where people were going to the ER thinking they had a certain medical condition they saw on a medical television show. It is interesting how people can see something on television, or now on the internet, and think they have a certain medical issue or need to take a certain medication.

After all the fun I have been dealing with for the last four years related to a thyroid condition, I check out every medication, treatment and tests my medical team wants me to have. I was put on five different medications for a medical issue, and the side effects were bad. I was told I had chemicals in my brain making me more sensitive to certain meds. Lucky me! I ask questions and refuse to take medication(s) if the side effects start kicking in right away especially if it can affect my thyroid hormone levels and/or my eye health.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I ask questions and refuse to take medication(s) if the side effects start kicking in right away especially if it can affect my thyroid hormone levels and/or my eye health.

Good for you!  I absolutely do the same thing.  Doctors are NOT God.  I have no problem questioning them, asking for alternatives, etc.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Good for you!  I absolutely do the same thing.  Doctors are NOT God.  I have no problem questioning them, asking for alternatives, etc.

A big part of the reason for all my lovely medical issues I have is due to a doctor who thought he was God. I am also picky who I see medical team wise. If I do not like the attitude, I say goodbye. Luckily the team I have now actually know what they are doing.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

A big part of the reason for all my lovely medical issues I have is due to a doctor who thought he was God. I am also picky who I see medical team wise. If I do not like the attitude, I say goodbye. Luckily the team I have now actually know what they are doing.

That's also the reason why it took my 5 years to get diagnosed with my stomach problem because every genius doctor I saw kept insisting it was the flu or I was pregnant. Not a single one would do anything else until I finally found one who referred me to a specialist who diagnosed me. I got the same run around for 4 years with my current health problem before getting into see my current doctor. Thank you Genius Doctors for wasting 9 years of my life!

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

That's also the reason why it took my 5 years to get diagnosed with my stomach problem because every genius doctor I saw kept insisting it was the flu or I was pregnant. Not a single one would do anything else until I finally found one who referred me to a specialist who diagnosed me. I got the same run around for 4 years with my current health problem before getting into see my current doctor. Thank you Genius Doctors for wasting 9 years of my life!

I was told I had situation anxiety or situation depression related to my husband's illness. It took going in to be a possible kidney donor for my husband to find out I had endometriosis and Graves Disease because the kidney specialist noticed swelling near my thyroid and ordered a kidney ultrasound to see how my injured left kidney looked like after a surgery I had after being hit by a car when I was three years old. It was the OB/GYN ordering blood tests six months after my endometriosis operation and diagnosis to find out I had a thyroid disorder.

I am waiting for a commercial stating if you were misdiagnosed and got the run around due to a doctor playing God and decided it was all in your head, not listening to you when you said something feels off, and not looking at your blood tests the right way, we will take on your case and sue the pants off said doctor.

Edited by bigskygirl
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I was told I had situation anxiety or situation depression related to my husband's illness. It took going in to be a possible kidney donor for my husband to find out I had endometriosis and Graves Disease because the kidney specialist notices swelling near my thyroid and ordered a kidney ultrasound to see how my injured left kidney looked like after a surgery I had after being hit by a car when I was three years old. It was the OB/GYN ordering blood tests six months after my endometriosis operation and diagnosis to find out I had a thyroid disorder

I'm sorry you went through that. Doctors suck.

I am waiting for a commercial stating if you were misdiagnosed and got the run around due to a doctor playing God and decided it was all in your head, not listening to you when you said something feels off, and not looking at your blood tests the right way, we will take on your case and sue the pants off said doctor.

Now there's a commercial I'd love to see! Come on Lawyers you'd have clients lining up around the block!

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I'm sorry you went through that. Doctors suck.

Now there's a commercial I'd love to see! Come on Lawyers you'd have clients lining up around the block!

Thank you. I am feeling better. Right now I am mild hypothyroid with another med dosage change. It seems like this time of year my levels go off for some reason.

Sorry you had problems finding out what was wrong too. It took awhile to find out I have some stomach digestive problems also.

Edited by bigskygirl
1 minute ago, andromeda331 said:

An ad like that would be for a local law firm, so you're not likely to see it unless it's so good it goes viral.

44 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

There have been numerous studies published that show that doctors do not listen to women. My own OB/Gyn told me that while he was in medical school they were taught that period cramps were all in womens heads and nonexistent. 

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

There have been numerous studies published that show that doctors do not listen to women. My own OB/Gyn told me that while he was in medical school they were taught that period cramps were all in womens heads and nonexistent. 

I would straight up punch anyone who said that to me. 

I get annoyed enough with my mom when she tells me cramps aren't supposed to make me throw up.  Well, what do you want from me?  They obviously do whether they are "supposed" to or not.

• Love 13
25 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I would straight up punch anyone who said that to me. 

I get annoyed enough with my mom when she tells me cramps aren't supposed to make me throw up.  Well, what do you want from me?  They obviously do whether they are "supposed" to or not.

Oh, yeah it made me furious. 

• Love 6

I had a (male) doctor when I was 12, tell me I couldn't POSSIBLY be in as much pain as I was "pretending" to have.  My mom (bless her heart) got me another doctor, and I had peritonitis from a burst appendix, surgery that same day. 

• Love 8