Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I'm here to vent my frustrations with Colonial Penn and the 3 P's.  Price price and price.  The white guy looks like the aliens from a Twilight Zone episode "To Serve Man" and the old lady's pink lips I'd like to just slap her.  Then the whining sound in the background music played for Shriners Hospital.  😱

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, mousegirl said:

That damned Consumer Cellular ad may just cause me to destroy my TV one of these days.  Those smug baby-boomer types yammering about how clever and wonderful they are for deciding to go with CC have the some of the most smack-worthy attitudes and facial expressions I've ever seen in a commercial (and I'm a boomer myself, so I get to trash my peers without being ageist, right?).  The first lady with her "I know what I want - I like my eggs scrambled, my coffee strong, and classic rock on my play list" - hey bitch, BIG WOW - what an effing rebel you are, eating your eggs scrambled!  Who would have thought you could be so daring at this stage in life?  And you like strong coffee - what a badass!!  The rest of the players on this commercial are even worse, culminating with the wifey who calls her husband "Texty McTexterson" - good God Almighty.

Listen up, Consumer Cellular - on the basis of this ad alone, I will NEVER use your services.  Piss off and die, already.

(Rant over - I feel better, thanks!)

I hate these ads, too! First of all, that woman you mention looks like a giant loser dork playing the air guitar... But what really pisses me off is that somehow the women all come off as old-fashioned and more scared of the scarey new-fangled smart phones.  “I like my flip phone!” “Consumer Cellular will answer our questions, which is good because people our age don’t know how to use these things!” What really fries me is the women all just want to talk on their flip phones; it’s the men who are the Texty-McTextersons (and, yeah, UGH) even if sometimes reluctantly.  It really seems to reinforce tired old stereotypes. So, yeah, I won’t ever be using their service either! Take that, Consumer Cellular!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 2/22/2019 at 11:59 PM, millennium said:

Any and all TD Ameritrade commercials in which a series of aging one-percenters worry whether they'll "have enough" to retire as they idly play darts in their spacious den or chat about their golf games with the bearded spokesman.

Yeah, like the one where the woman says she keeps having this dream where she's 85 years old and has to take a job wearing a giant hot dog suit.  It's really insulting to those of us that actually have a real reason to worry about that!  Every time I see that commercial I wonder how the elderly cashiers at my local Walmart feel about that.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Yeah No said:

Yeah, like the one where the woman says she keeps having this dream where she's 85 years old and has to take a job wearing a giant hot dog suit.  It's really insulting to those of us that actually have a real reason to worry about that!  Every time I see that commercial I wonder how the elderly cashiers at my local Walmart feel about that.

That's exactly why I hate those commercials. Yes, so many people do have to worry about that. I hate when he asks where that's coming from? Ah, everywhere? Where have you been? She probably sees how many people in their seventies and eighties who are still working because they have too. It almost makes me think of that commercial I think tis another etrade or something where their showing the elderly man lifeguard, fireman, the DJ and etc. Then shows how many people aren't ready for retirement. Yeah, its funny but also true and scary.  Its not always because they aren't investing and stuff. But stuff happens, or didn't earn enough to save because everything went to food, mortgage and stuff. Or if you got screwed over by your employer. Or medical bills.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

Yeah, its funny but also true and scary.  Its not always because they aren't investing and stuff. But stuff happens, or didn't earn enough to save because everything went to food, mortgage and stuff. Or if you got screwed over by your employer. Or medical bills.

I know, like me!  Despite a few retirement accounts and even a small pension they don't add up to all that much despite saving diligently toward them.  Life got in the way, like being unemployed due to no fault of my own (hello recession), illness, not making that much money to afford to put that much away, etc.  This is the story for most people in the US.  And not to mention that no one from TD Ameritrade would even talk to someone that wasn't in the 1%!  I've tried taking advantage of offers of investing advice from my 401K companies and when they find out how little you have they don't pay that much attention to you.

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I know, like me!  Despite a few retirement accounts and even a small pension they don't add up to all that much despite saving diligently toward them.  Life got in the way, like being unemployed due to no fault of my own (hello recession), illness, not making that much money to afford to put that much away, etc.  This is the story for most people in the US.  And not to mention that no one from TD Ameritrade would even talk to someone that wasn't in the 1%!  I've tried taking advantage of offers of investing advice from my 401K companies and when they find out how little you have they don't pay that much attention to you.

That's what happened to my parents too. Sure they had ups and downs but somehow manage to put away money in retirement accountants and investments that they would have been a pretty good retirement. Well, then life hit. My great-grandfather (Mom's grandpa) got sick and moved in with us the last year of his life. Medical bills skyrocketed but they paid them off thinking there would be plenty of time to put the money back. Well, then my mom found out she was going to be in the next round of layoffs at her company (they'd been laying people off every few years) from her boss and took early retirement. She found a job in a call center working from home she hated it but it was a job. Then my dad's store closed and he was out of a job. Then the recession hit. He found a job through my brother as a parts driver which he loved so it looked like things were going to get better. Well, then I got sick and was sick of and on for five years and they had take over my bills after once all my money was gone (I once had a 401K and savings, off to a good start ) because I had a hard time keeping a job since I kept getting sick and doctors to find out what was wrong with me. Finally got that fixed. I moved out and everything was looking like it was going to work out. Well, then I got sick again with my current problem and had to move back because in a span of three months I could no longer take care of myself. So my medical bills spiraled out of control. Then a few months after I moved in my mother had her first heart attack. For two years she had heart attacks and seizures and her medical bills skyrocket. So there went all the money. Dad had to leave his job to take care of both of us. After my mom passed away the only thing that saved Dad and me from losing the house was he was able to take out a loan on the house and pay off everything. All their years of saving, planning none of it mattered. Its all gone. I have no idea if we'll ever be able to replace or save because my health problems are still no where resolved so who knows that or how it'll turn out. The only retirement plan we have now is my brother, sister-in-law, Dad and I all living together at some point and hope for the best.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I just want to see if this is just me.  Watch this Febreze commercial and tell me what might be offensive about it.  For me it's a subliminal message.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/diFt/febreze-air-effects-shes-doing-it-again

I'm not sure where you're going with this, but I was mildly put off by the "other spray" lady's outfit. A sweater vest on an old woman? Really, Febreze?

I actually use Consumer Cellular and, yes, I have a flip phone. Since I keep my phone in my pocket, one o'them "smart/eye" dealios would be too big to fit and with a flip phone, there's NO chance of butt-dialing.  And I hate texting.  But, honestly, I'm not a luddite. Really. Sure.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm not sure where you're going with this, but I was mildly put off by the "other spray" lady's outfit. A sweater vest on an old woman? Really, Febreze?

You're close.  I think the implied message of that commercial is that Febreze is for pretty, young people that live in new, clean, bright houses.  Not like us older people that (in their minds) are unattractive, dress like the 80's, live in dingy, outdated houses and use that "other spray" that "only masks the smell".  I think it's mildly offensive to older women and encourages younger people to look down on older people in general.  You don't want to be anything like her, after all.  She's old and therefore dumb and lame, but Febreze is smart, young, and ergo cool!

• Love 3
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:59 PM, millennium said:

Any and all TD Ameritrade commercials in which a series of aging one-percenters worry whether they'll "have enough" to retire as they idly play darts in their spacious den or chat about their golf games with the bearded spokesman.

I hate those ads b/c they promote wealth eny and are anti-American.

13 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I just want to see if this is just me.  Watch this Febreze commercial and tell me what might be offensive about it.  For me it's a subliminal message.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/diFt/febreze-air-effects-shes-doing-it-again

She has a serious bad flatulence problem?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 2/22/2019 at 11:59 PM, millennium said:

I saw the results of a poll today in which respondents were asked what if you had a medical emergency where it was going to cost you $1000 out of pocket.   Only 40% of those polled said they can cover it.  Meaning 60% can't.

The only thing I like about those commercials is the shade of green in that room. The one I really can't stand is an early one where the woman does't have a spare moment to tend to her finances. It's either tai chi, lunch, classes, or she has a little vegan taking all her time.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Jaded.obsidian said:

I'm here to vent my frustrations with Colonial Penn and the 3 P's.  Price price and price.  The white guy looks like the aliens from a Twilight Zone episode "To Serve Man" and the old lady's pink lips I'd like to just slap her.  Then the whining sound in the background music played for Shriners Hospital.  😱

And two of the P’s are the same! A price you can afford and a price that fits your budget are the same thing Alex Trebeck.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

And two of the P’s are the same! A price you can afford and a price that fits your budget are the same thing Alex Trebeck.

I was looking at it differently. If you make $1000.00 (easy round numbers for this), you could technically afford $1000.00 for whatever. You make enough to afford it. But your budget for said item is $50.00 because you need the other $950.00 for other things. 

• Love 1

I think that you would set your budget for life insurance based on what you can afford. Most people know that their monthly salary must cover numerous things so they might budget for $100 a month for insurance because it is what they can afford. Same thing in my opinion.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Febreze gives me a headache and makes me sneeze.

Depends- any air freshener involving 'vanilla' or 'floral' anything are revolting. OTOH, our Airbnb's all feature Febreeze 'Gain'scent plug-ins, and we get many positive comments on how great the units smell.

1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Depends- any air freshener involving 'vanilla' or 'floral' anything are revolting. OTOH, our Airbnb's all feature Febreeze 'Gain'scent plug-ins, and we get many positive comments on how great the units smell.

The spray can ones are pretty awful but I have had good experiences with the plug ins. I think it's the spray is just...ugh. I can taste it in the air after it's been sprayed, no matter the scent. 

That damned Consumer Cellular ad may just cause me to destroy my TV one of these days.  Those smug baby-boomer types yammering about how clever and wonderful they are for deciding to go with CC have the some of the most smack-worthy attitudes and facial expressions I've ever seen in a commercial (and I'm a boomer myself, so I get to trash my peers without being ageist, right?).  The first lady with her "I know what I want - I like my eggs scrambled, my coffee strong, and classic rock on my play list" - hey bitch, BIG WOW - what an effing rebel you are, eating your eggs scrambled!  Who would have thought you could be so daring at this stage in life?  And you like strong coffee - what a badass!!  The rest of the players on this commercial are even worse, culminating with the wifey who calls her husband "Texty McTexterson" - good God Almighty.

Listen up, Consumer Cellular - on the basis of this ad alone, I will NEVER use your services.  Piss off and die, already.

So.Much.Word! I want to tell all these people to go piss up a rope.

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:30 AM, configdotsys said:

And many of the 40% who can, blame the 60% who cannot for their own circumstances. Critical thinking and empathy have gone the way of the dinosaur. I read an article not long ago in the NY Times that was talking about health care and there were actually a large number of comments that blamed people with cancer, diabetes, etc., for their condition. "You should have exercised and had a better diet...." Well, fuckface, I did and got it anyway but thanks for the lecture. 

Bearded guy comes across as sincere in those commercials, but the only one that was remotely close to realistic was the 40-something (maybe 50?) looking couple who managed so save $103k which was a fortune to them. 

I heard a lot of that crap during the government shutdown here (not trying to be political).  Any time there was a food drive for the TSA or Federal Prison people who were working without pay (including friends of mine), they would all dogpile on with "Should have thought of that when you took the job.  If you can't be without one paycheck without needing a food drive, you need to evaluate your life".  Ok....except for many of those workers get paid once a month.  So missing one check IS a huge deal.  My husband is struggling to stay employed with some health issues that may be serious (we're getting test results on Thursday that may or may not tell us what is going on).  I hear lots of "He should have chosen a better career", because he's unable to stand for 8 hours, which a lot of the jobs that are actually available in my area require.  The ones that don't need skills he doesn't have.  At age 46, he's not likely to go back to school to learn something new - the cost vs benefit doesn't justify it.

A little empathy would go a long way nowadays.

• Love 14
On 2/23/2019 at 9:30 AM, configdotsys said:

Bearded guy comes across as sincere in those commercials, but the only one that was remotely close to realistic was the 40-something (maybe 50?) looking couple who managed so save $103k which was a fortune to them. 

There was also one where a couple went on vacation, the husband had some accident and they had to dig in to their 401K. There have been a couple of others where the clients don't appear to be rolling in it. I know they show the golf guy, but I think they do a good job showing a range of financial situations. Especially compared to other financial services companies.

And I really like the bearded guy. I can't figure out why I like him, but hate the Chevy bearded guy. lol 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

The old rule of thumb is that you should have enough savings to go six months without any income.

Agreed, but I don't know many who can do that.  I have the recommended $1000, but not 6 months worth.  And working without pay isn't fair for anyone, and a little empathy for them instead of rudeness would have been nice.  There were so many rude comments toward people who were working without pay that were just unnecessary.

• Love 11

I occasionally see commercials for "Keeps", a men's hair loss system which seems to be targeted to young men.  Most of them are fine except for one which features a guy with the absolutely most unsymmetrical face on the planet.  I mean nothing lines up side to side or up and down.  It's so distracting that when I first saw it I had no idea what he was saying or what is the product.  I'm all for using "average joe" types in commercials, but man!

https://ispot.tv/a/IVWx

9 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

The old rule of thumb is that you should have enough savings to go six months without any income.

Yes, and there are plenty of people who could do something like that but instead choose to spend pretty much every penny they make on whatever tickles their fancy, because they have no concept of delayed gratification, saving for the future (and the unexpected), etc.  But too many people lump the much larger group of people whose life circumstances mean there is no choice, they could not possibly sock away even half that cushion if they did everything "right," in with the first group, and thus hand-wave away every paycheck-to-paycheck lifestyle as self inflicted, and look down on it.  And, increasingly over the past few decades, that's simply not the case. 

So these financial planning services commercials that prattle on about luxuries and future lives of leisure are almost inherently going to annoy a huge section of the audience - those for whom having anything significant left over after necessary expenses is unrealistic and those who think outside their own bubble and have compassion and understanding for that huge segment of the population - rather than capturing the attention of those who actually could do something strategic with their income.  The middle class of old has largely vanished, so most of these commercials feel a good 25 years out of date.  They really need a more realistic tone.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 18
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

Yes, and there are plenty of people who could do something like that but instead choose to spend pretty much every penny they make on whatever tickles their fancy, because they have no concept of delayed gratification, saving for the future (and the unexpected), etc.  But too many people lump the much larger group of people whose life circumstances mean there is no choice, they could not possibly sock away even half that cushion if they did everything "right," in with the first group, and thus hand-wave away every paycheck-to-paycheck lifestyle as self inflicted, and look down on it.  And, increasingly over the past few decades, that's simply not the case. 

So these financial planning services commercials that prattle on about luxuries and future lives of leisure are almost inherently going to annoy a huge section of the audience - those for whom having anything significant left over after necessary expenses is unrealistic and those who think outside their own bubble and have compassion and understanding for that huge segment of the population - rather than capturing the attention of those who actually could do something strategic with their income.  The middle class of old has largely vanished, so most of these commercials feel a good 25 years out of date.

Exactly, there are so many people who actually can't put away that much in savings or do but constantly have to take it back out because stuff pops up that they have to take care of. My brother and sister-in-law have jobs that should put them in a good place but the bulk of their money went to daycare for their son. Daycare is insanely expensive at least where we live. They looked all over town and kept finding ones that were booked until they found one spot but it was expensive. They struggled to pay it along with all their other regular bills. They were so happy when their son was finally old enough to go to school and no longer have to pay it. They thought they'd finally be able to save. But then their fence fell down and insurance denied paying for it so they had to pay it. Got that done and then their car broke down. They thought they got lucky because I sold them my car since I can't drive and who knows when I'll be able to drive away. But then of course the other car broke down. There's just always something that keeps popping up that has to be taken care off. So many people are in the similar or worse situation. So many are struggling and really trying and get nowhere. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I heard a lot of that crap during the government shutdown here (not trying to be political).  Any time there was a food drive for the TSA or Federal Prison people who were working without pay (including friends of mine), they would all dogpile on with "Should have thought of that when you took the job.  If you can't be without one paycheck without needing a food drive, you need to evaluate your life".  Ok....except for many of those workers get paid once a month.  So missing one check IS a huge deal.  My husband is struggling to stay employed with some health issues that may be serious (we're getting test results on Thursday that may or may not tell us what is going on).  I hear lots of "He should have chosen a better career", because he's unable to stand for 8 hours, which a lot of the jobs that are actually available in my area require.  The ones that don't need skills he doesn't have.  At age 46, he's not likely to go back to school to learn something new - the cost vs benefit doesn't justify it.

A little empathy would go a long way nowadays.

God, yes, those comments drove me nuts, too. I'd love to tell those people, "You want to do their jobs, then, if you think it's so easy? No? Then kindly shut up." I don't know why people think it's their place to make those kinds of judgments about somebody's job like that.

Hoping all turns out well for your husband with his test results, by the way. Sending positive thoughts to you guys. 

Also, my mom is totally with those of you who can't stand those Consumer Cellular commercials. The one with the woman being all "Good ol' rock and roll" is definitely cheesy as hell. 

• Love 8

Every time I see her perky "good ole rock and roll" I scream obscenities at the tv and I'm a baby boomer who adores the old rock and roll, and I have a flip phone. My reason for having one is I'm at home about 99% of the time, I have a 23" screen computer that I can actually see and I refuse to pay AT&T another dime every month. I do not want a cell phone plan and I have to argue with some youngster every time I have to call AT&T. I will however, probably be having cataract surgery in the next few months and might be able to see but I still do not want a phone with internet service.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Every time I see her perky "good ole rock and roll" I scream obscenities at the tv and I'm a baby boomer who adores the old rock and roll, and I have a flip phone. My reason for having one is I'm at home about 99% of the time, I have a 23" screen computer that I can actually see and I refuse to pay AT&T another dime every month. I do not want a cell phone plan and I have to argue with some youngster every time I have to call AT&T. I will however, probably be having cataract surgery in the next few months and might be able to see but I still do not want a phone with internet service.

B but then how do you settle bar bets?

• LOL 8
17 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

So many people are in the similar or worse situation. So many are struggling and really trying and get nowhere. 

And lots more were in that boat in the recession a decade ago, and they're not going to have much sympathy for a bunch of folks who have secure jobs and will just get paid a little late, especially when the reason is widely known, so nobody's going to rush to penalize them for getting behind on their bills.

• Love 2
On ‎02‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 1:38 PM, Yeah No said:

You're close.  I think the implied message of that commercial is that Febreze is for pretty, young people that live in new, clean, bright houses.  Not like us older people that (in their minds) are unattractive, dress like the 80's, live in dingy, outdated houses and use that "other spray" that "only masks the smell".  I think it's mildly offensive to older women and encourages younger people to look down on older people in general.  You don't want to be anything like her, after all.  She's old and therefore dumb and lame, but Febreze is smart, young, and ergo cool!

I didn't get that at all.

On ‎02‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:40 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

The old rule of thumb doesn't account for low-wage jobs or the cost of healthcare in this country.

• Love 16
3 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

And lots more were in that boat in the recession a decade ago, and they're not going to have much sympathy for a bunch of folks who have secure jobs and will just get paid a little late, especially when the reason is widely known, so nobody's going to rush to penalize them for getting behind on their bills.

Except a lot of those employers were contracted employees who probably aren't going to get back pay.  I don't imagine the custodial staff at the Capital gets paid mega-bucks, and jobs like that aren't necessarily all that secure.  And you don't know that people won't be penalized for paying bills late.  I'd think anyone who'd been in the same boat during the recession would have more empathy, not less.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I'd think anyone who'd been in the same boat during the recession would have more empathy, not less.

But it can raise the bar on what you feel worthy of empathy when it's widespread (lest you become depressed or an emotional wreck).

My family has been in very serious financial straits-like, to the point where we needed food stamps and whatnot. 

And I still had plenty of sympathy for those federal workers whose paychecks were disrupted. Especially given the reason why their paychecks were affected was because of a situation that could've been avoided altogether.

And I'll end there to avoid this turning political. 

• Love 19
On 2/22/2019 at 7:33 AM, Haleth said:

I do love Natalie Dormer scolding him though.  "Didst thou bring enough for everyone?"

Is that who that is? I'll have to pay closer attention next time.

Caught a new insurance ad yesterday while getting ready to go to work. I think it was Colonial Penn, because there's a woman sitting in her living room reading a letter from her newly-deceased husband and half-smiling, half-crying. Because he made sure to buy the advertised insurance to provide for her once he was gone. I get what they were going for, but it just seemed morbid and gross since the guy died not that long ago.

• Love 4

Okay, this commercial for the Venetian in Las Vegas? Way to get me to want to come to your hotel, Venetian, using the theme song of one of the most horrible, spoiled, selfish little girls in movie history. NOT.

The commercial grates on every nerve I have, making me vow that I'd stay at the worst fleabag hotel in Vegas before I'd stay at the Venetian. Not sure why my reaction to it is so visceral, but it repulses me. Maybe the discordant way the song is sung, the cartoonish look of the characters, the general feeling of selfishness...? I can't figure it out.

• Love 5

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I may have to stop watching TLC. Those Dr. Pimple Popper commercials seriously make me want to vomit. That is not to say I don't sympathize with the patients-I just don't want to be "in the room where it happens" so to speak. Ew.

• Love 10
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:25 PM, MadyGirl1987 said:

This State Farm commercial.

The kid complaining about getting a car bugs me to no end. You are getting your own car! If you don't like it, save up for one on your own.

Yeah, if I were those parents, after that outburst, I would sell the car and tell him to dust off his bicycle. And kid, if you can't get a date, it's not because of the car, it's because you look like a hobbit. Might want to rethink the haircut.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
48 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Yeah, if I were those parents, after that outburst, I would sell the car and tell him to dust off his bicycle. And kid, if you can't get a date, it's not because of the car, it's because you look like a hobbit. Might want to rethink the haircut.

The guy is clearly not thinking of what he could do with a big station wagon with a fold-down rear seat. At the least, he might get to hang out with some guys in a band, in return for hauling their equipment.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Emma9 said:

Thank you, I can't stand that one. Spoiled little snot.

I do kind of feel sorry for the kid.....I certainly didn't grow up privileged but there was that one part of me who was still hoping for the brand new car with a big bow in the driveway when I turned 16 (didn't happen).  Image is everything at that age and no matter how grateful you should be to even have a car, I think it is normal to be a little mortified to have been given the opposite of a cool car when you are a teenager.        

• Love 5
58 minutes ago, AnnieHeights said:

I do kind of feel sorry for the kid.....I certainly didn't grow up privileged but there was that one part of me who was still hoping for the brand new car with a big bow in the driveway when I turned 16 (didn't happen).  Image is everything at that age and no matter how grateful you should be to even have a car, I think it is normal to be a little mortified to have been given the opposite of a cool car when you are a teenager.        

If they actually gave him the car ie. put it in his name, he could always sell it and buy some some unreliable little used sports car and look cool sitting in the driveway.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2