Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 12/11/2020 at 8:23 PM, Maverick said:

I don't want to go all Bloody Mary and summon it, but Peloton has been suspiciously absent this holiday season (and much of the pandemic, actually).   Are they not able to import these?   Did they go out of business because of their marketing budget?   Did they run out of high rise glass-walled apartments inhabited by exhibitionists to sell to?

There were all sorts of posts online over the past six months from people raging that their delivery dates were being cancelled. Some found out the day before delivery that it was postponed, sometimes for months. I mean, people were really going crazy. A friend of mine is still waiting after months and months and that's what got me looking online to see if there were delays all around. Oh boy.

They did a relatively low key pitch for their new bike and dropped the price of the original but still laid low. I am guessing that they knew they would be unable to fulfill orders from six months ago by Christmas so heavy advertising during the holidays might make people think they were available. That is, until they received a delivery date of next August or something. 

• Useful 5
1 hour ago, configdotsys said:

There were all sorts of posts online over the past six months from people raging that their delivery dates were being cancelled. Some found out the day before delivery that it was postponed, sometimes for months. I mean, people were really going crazy. A friend of mine is still waiting after months and months and that's what got me looking online to see if there were delays all around. Oh boy.

They did a relatively low key pitch for their new bike and dropped the price of the original but still laid low. I am guessing that they knew they would be unable to fulfill orders from six months ago by Christmas so heavy advertising during the holidays might make people think they were available. That is, until they received a delivery date of next August or something. 

Thank God they're not rerunning last year's "Controversial Christmas Gift" ad with the wife who thanks her husband for getting her a Peloton and then being all cringey apprehensive about using the damn thing.  I did see one low key Peloton commercial with the monthly fee now $49.   Wasn't it much higher last year, like $65 or $89?  Times they are a changing!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:
3 hours ago, Red Bridey said:

I always hear the little girl singing, "Give me a loan, Daddy...it's for you." Which makes no sense, so I then listen to it the next time it's on, and I still hear it. What exactly is she saying?

I think she says "You need a loan? Daddy it's for you." Either way it's annoying as hell. 

When I first heard it, I thought she was saying "Leave me alone?" which really didn't make any sense. When I finally took the time to listen and realize it was a commercial for a loan company, I figured she was saying something about a loan, and assumed it was "give me a loan?" But I STILL hear it as 'leave me alone.'

Ha, and I am slow. I just now understood that 'daddy' is the guy giving out the loans, not someone who needs one. So, yeah, 'you need a loan' makes sense in that context, lol.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I watch the Buzzr channel and a few others on the Pluto app pretty frequently. I mention that because this commercial comes on during every single break sometimes twice at a time. It's driving me bonkers due to how often it's on along with the fact that it's one of the commercials that raises the volume.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Jaded said:

I watch the Buzzr channel and a few others on the Pluto app pretty frequently. I mention that because this commercial comes on during every single break sometimes twice at a time. It's driving me bonkers due to how often it's on along with the fact that it's one of the commercials that raises the volume.

I have no idea what that little creature is but I wouldn't let my kid pick it up.  It's filthy.  Ew.

That SNL Lexus commercial is hilarious.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 5
On 12/12/2020 at 3:04 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I have NEVER understood the appeal of and/or the reasoning behind Amazing Grace being played at funerals by a bagpiper when the dead person isn't even a Scot. Especially a dead cop, like they show in every damn movie or TV show that has a cop who dies.  WTH?

I notice that too and I wonder why they play bagpipes at every cops funeral ....

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Nicmar said:

I notice that too and I wonder why they play bagpipes at every cops funeral ....

Brought to the United States over one hundred and fifty years ago by the Scottish immigrants, the bagpipe has become a symbol of mourning for fallen heroes, especially firefighters and policemen.  The hauntingly beautiful music of the pipe is especially suited to songs of mourning whether played by a single piper, ensemble, or by a bagpipe band.

Bagpipes are often thought of as a Scottish instrument but in fact all Celtic people have played bagpipes at funerals, wakes, weddings, and dances for centuries.  They were a tradition that the immigrants from Scotland brought with them to the United States. The British also had a centuries old tradition of using bagpipes in conjunction with honoring fallen heroes.  Military units often had their own pipers and comrades who fell in battle were honored with bagpipe music at their funerals.

• Useful 11
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

There's a commercial for the March of Dimes featuring footage of premature babies in the NICU. The message is, "Without your money, these babies will die."

I guess that's better than holding a gun up to its head... 😱

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I love the Lexus SNL skit.   

I thought the Mercedes-Benz creature was a stuffed animal come to life?   A lot of the trucks I see have a stuffed reindeer head, or a wreath or something this time of year.   I can't imagine a M-B owner wanting a dripping wet stuffed animal around that expensive car's pristine leather seats.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I have finally read that properly.  I kept reading that as hemorrhoids.

To spend huge amounts of money on an indoor bike, and then add on top of that a monthly fee seems to me to be ridiculous.  Of course the fine print is really fine print on most of these commercials where I need a magnifying glass to read it, and the add disappears before I finish reading it, so I usually miss out on all of the fine print..

The Daisy sour cream on the nose thing doesn't bother me.  Yeah, it is kind of dopey, but the bigger thing that bothers me is that the commercial shows the recipe in the lower right corner of the screen and I can't read it.

That happens with those news alerts that they run under the show. Fat lot of good it does to try to keep people informed when they make the letters too small for anyone to read.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, tres bien said:

The narrator of the University of Phoenix scholarship commercial is so damn annoying.  I'm always expecting her to start crying. 

Glad I'm not the only one thinking that! I've actually developed a pretty good imitation of her wobbly, 'caring' tone, although my husband says I just sound like Katherine Hepburn.

• LOL 11
1 hour ago, bkathi said:

I can't change the channel fast enough when the Popeyes testimonial commercials come on.  Especially the one where the guy squeals.  I just can't with that one.  

You mean the one where the guy sings? If it's that one, I agree. I find it very disturbing.

3 hours ago, bkathi said:

I can't change the channel fast enough when the Popeyes testimonial commercials come on.  Especially the one where the guy squeals.  I just can't with that one.  

Is that the #inkyhooper one with the old guy in the car and some woman cackling in the back?  If so, I commented on that one a while back.  I hate that commercial so much that I immediately grab the remote.

Actually, I hate all the Popeyes commercials.   

• Love 3
4 hours ago, bkathi said:

The first thing that came to mind when I read this was:

image.png.14eff21fd8a37cd79b5159a71126c454.png

I know you're talking about the chicken place. They actually do have really great chicken and sides, but their commercials are not good.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 12/14/2020 at 3:24 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I thought the Mercedes-Benz creature was a stuffed animal come to life?   A lot of the trucks I see have a stuffed reindeer head, or a wreath or something this time of year.   I can't imagine a M-B owner wanting a dripping wet stuffed animal around that expensive car's pristine leather seats.  

I think I am more disturbed that the truck owner strapped a sentient being to the front of his semi-truck.

23 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I have finally read that properly.  I kept reading that as hemorrhoids.

Are you sure that's in correct? 😉

18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That happens with those news alerts that they run under the show. Fat lot of good it does to try to keep people informed when they make the letters too small for anyone to read.

Time to get a larger TV! 😉

9 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Is that the #inkyhooper one with the old guy in the car and some woman cackling in the back?  If so, I commented on that one a while back.  I hate that commercial so much that I immediately grab the remote.

I think he's talking about the white guy who thinks he's M&M but comes off more like Lil' Kevin.

Kevin.png

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

Oh, good, someone finally addressed the critical problem with lightweight heating pads. I'm SO tired of leaf blower attacks in my bedroom by some guy with a heating pad vendetta.

The commercial is stupid, but I think the product might be useful. I used to suffer terrible menstrual cramps and would spend one day a month at home with the heating pad. I found more relief from the combination of heating pad and cat. Once I had the weight of the cat atop the heating pad, my cramps would ease quite a bit. The extra pressure was quite helpful.

• Useful 4
  • Love 11
12 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Actually, I hate all the Popeyes commercials.   

It is that one - nails on a chalkboard.

• Love 4

The one from Burger King. People in the drive through are "surprised" by the creepy king etc. That's not the way to make me want to buy burgers. The one lady screaming in supposed excitement, but her face says terror is pretty much spot on. I want to scream in terror when I see the creepy king. 

• Love 8
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The commercial is stupid, but I think the product might be useful. I used to suffer terrible menstrual cramps and would spend one day a month at home with the heating pad. I found more relief from the combination of heating pad and cat. Once I had the weight of the cat atop the heating pad, my cramps would ease quite a bit. The extra pressure was quite helpful.

See, Cat Mom?? We don't just lay around looking cute, we're sometimes [rarely - Ed.] utilitarian, too!

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I agree. My current heating pad it too light. If I don't press down on it, sometimes I don't feel like I'm getting the heat.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
18 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I agree. My current heating pad it too light. If I don't press down on it, sometimes I don't feel like I'm getting the heat.

I have one you heat in the microwave. It is filled with lavender and some kind of beans. It's nice and heavy.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I have one you heat in the microwave. It is filled with lavender and some kind of beans. It's nice and heavy.

I have a couple of wonderful neck wraps like that. I guess I should structured my joke differently so that it read that my crucial issue with lightweight heating pads is that I'm tired of leaf blower-wielding men blowing them off me. 😜

• LOL 13
1 hour ago, Scout Finch said:

I have a couple of wonderful neck wraps like that. I guess I should structured my joke differently so that it read that my crucial issue with lightweight heating pads is that I'm tired of leaf blower-wielding men blowing them off me. 😜

Right? They just come right into your bedroom, don't even bother to knock and then they blow all your stuff all over the place. Why isn't the government stopping these atrocities?

• LOL 15

Old commercial that they continue to air that's so annoying -- GoodRx.

The mom worriedly rushing into the pharmacy to check the price of a prescription she says her son needs.  Pharmacist relays price, mom clucks her tongue, makes a face and says, "sorry" when the pharmacist tells her about Good Rx.

Why are you shocked at the price, Mom?  You say your son needs it, I'd think you'd be well aware of the general price.  And you turn away after you find out what it is?  Apparently Jr and his issues aren't worth under $60 (whatever the initial cost was).  Get your act together, at this rate you'll be dithering about the cost of his broken leg when he drops over in a dead faint at a crosswalk because he didn't get his prescription.

Edited by littlebennysmom
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, littlebennysmom said:

The mom worriedly rushing into the pharmacy to check the price of a prescription she says her son needs.  Pharmacist relays price, mom clucks her tongue, makes a face and says, "sorry" when the pharmacist tells her about Good Rx.

Why are you shocked at the price, Mom?  You say your son needs it, I'd think you'd be well aware of the general price.  And you turn away after you find out what it is?  Apparently Jr and his issues aren't worth under $60 (whatever the initial cost was).  Get your act together, at this rate you'll be dithering about the cost of his broken leg when he drops over in a dead faint at a crosswalk because he didn't get his prescription.

A lot of people can't afford to pay $60 for a prescription. It's that or buy food, or use the money toward paying rent.

• Love 19
22 minutes ago, littlebennysmom said:

What's got me wondering about this commercial is the little boy grabbing his crotch as they walk to counter, I have to think it was deliberate, otherwise I'd think they'd reshoot it. Seems like strange stage direction. And all the GoodRX commercials show the same initial price - $67.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

I've been in the same situation.  My comment was about her utter lack of preparation and shocked look about it.  

It's been my experience that docs have no idea what meds cost so it's not surprising that mom would hand over the scrip and find out it costs a whole lot more than she expected.  A doc once prescribed a med for my son and when I found out it was going to cost over $500 I called him on vacation and insisted he prescribe something cheaper.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

What's got me wondering about this commercial is the little boy grabbing his crotch as they walk to counter, I have to think it was deliberate, otherwise I'd think they'd reshoot it. Seems like strange stage direction. And all the GoodRX commercials show the same initial price - $67.

It's been a while since I've seen this one. I don't recall the crotch-grabbing, but maybe that what the med is for? 😄

6 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

I've been in the same situation.  My comment was about her utter lack of preparation and shocked look about it.  

I do see your point (if I'm understanding it) that the commercial gives the impression that it's a medication the son takes regularly.

It's not a well-produced ad, but to me it's still 1000x better than the Martin Sheen SingleCare ones. 

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

It's been my experience that docs have no idea what meds cost so it's not surprising that mom would hand over the scrip and find out it costs a whole lot more than she expected.  A doc once prescribed a med for my son and when I found out it was going to cost over $500 I called him on vacation and insisted he prescribe something cheaper.

Going to small talk with my story of prescription sticker shock.

• Love 4

I hate to tell you this, but I get Joe N's commercials year round here.   That one's not going away.   When it's not open season, then I bet they're going for the new Medicare members, or those who move, and need to switch plans.  

Martin Sheen looks better than his son, Charlie does in that commercial. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

There is a little voice in my head that wants to make a smart ass comment.

I was already to open my pie hole, when...

We must have the same little voice.🤣

I didn't notice the little boy was grabbing his crotch until it was mentioned further up in this thread.

Is that the one with Charlie Sheen in it and he looks like melting wax?   Charlie didn't look good at all.

Why is Joe Namath still on my television screen?    It is long past December 7th, what gives?

Isn't that Martin Sheen?

• LOL 1
41 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

I hate that commercial with the four old hens sitting around the table playing cards and discussing life insurance.

I don't think I've seen that one, does it feature animation of elderly chickens? Or real live human beings who are women?

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
On 12/4/2020 at 10:13 PM, mmecorday said:

Regarding the discussion of Medicare commercials (make them stop!), the one that's set up like a talk show with the guy interviewing Rhonda is the one that's bugging me right now.

any commercial that has a fake talk show or fake focus group or fake infomercial irritates the h**l out of me. 

• Love 6