Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

59 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

May I have a I'm Hating My Job and Wanna Quit ministry? Not sure what good it do for others though. Is doing good for others a requirement? 

I felt your pain almost 10 years ago.  Mr. Xword had the same employer for over 20 years, and we hated our jobs.  Not everything or everyone, but enough to make us eagerly anticipating the earliest date we could retire.  Now they have to pay us to stay away!  We live on less, but it's been very much worth it.

Putting on a few years does have its advantages.  

55 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

Let me be the first to join your ministry.

You'll be there before you know it.  Trite but true.

Dear Lissy:  your parents won't let us see your uncovered head.  You are very cute, and even if you're bald, no shame.  My cute baby girl was largely bald her first year.  You'll take just as cute photos without those apparently trendy knotted head covers.

• Love 10
23 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I would but I only eat the tacos cant make them.  I'm  a polish American woman from Cleveland 

How about some kapusta?  I LOVE that stuff!

My ministry is books:  every genre except hardcore science fiction and spy technothrillers.

On topic, those stupid headbands are so trendy even with bigger girls--a bunch of my fourth graders have been wearing these bands!  Yuck.  They all look like Aunt Jemima!  Lissy's brown band does not look cute with her pink dress.

Edited by magpye29
on topic
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

May I have a I'm Hating My Job and Wanna Quit ministry? Not sure what good it do for others though. Is doing good for others a requirement? 

Count me in!  After the day I had today, especially :(  

Have we ever seen Lissy's head?  Are they covering up something they don't want discussed.....with something that is going to be discussed?  Enough is enough!  Those things are stupid.  Maybe she'll start tugging them off soon.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Fostersmom said:

I'm sure every generation finds other generations idea of style just appalling and the ugliest thing ever. Saying it's horrible over and over isn't going to change the current fashion trends or convince anyone to stop dressing their kid they way they want. My only complaint with her head knot is it doesn't match her dress. 

A work friend is having a baby girl in a couple of weeks and she just posted on her Facebook a bunch of those turban headbands, captioned with "She's going to be the most stylish baby!".

I hadn't seen them before I saw pictures of Felicity wearing them, but apparently they are one of the newish baby trends, along with those bandana bibs. (The first time I saw a friend always using those instead 'regular' bibs, I thought she just had a thing about dressing her son like a cowboy).

• Love 12

I'm not a mother but I do know an infant's head needs to be shaped so it doesn't end up looking like an upside-down pear.  I can remember my mother telling me she spent many moments shaping my head, turning my head this way or that in the crib.  (I've had hair stylists tell me I have a beautifully shaped head. Thanks, Ma.  LOL.)  So my question is:  Will these turbans have any effect on head shape or size.  If a baby wears it all the time, it seems like it would impede growth or something. 

Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. :-/

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I'm not a mother but I do know an infant's head needs to be shaped so it doesn't end up looking like an upside-down pear.  I can remember my mother telling me she spent many moments shaping my head, turning my head this way or that in the crib.  (I've had hair stylists tell me I have a beautifully shaped head. Thanks, Ma.  LOL.)

I've never heard that babies need their head shaped, and I've had three kids.  My mom had five kids, no head shaping.  Grandma had 14, no shaping.  We all have normal heads, so I'd skip pressing on a newborns head and manipulating their neck by moving the head around. 

Maybe @Doodlebug could weigh in on this, because I'm worried that someone could accidently hurt their baby if they tried head shaping.

• Love 13
8 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I'm not a mother but I do know an infant's head needs to be shaped so it doesn't end up looking like an upside-down pear.  I can remember my mother telling me she spent many moments shaping my head, turning my head this way or that in the crib.  (I've had hair stylists tell me I have a beautifully shaped head. Thanks, Ma.  LOL.)  So my question is:  Will these turbans have any effect on head shape or size.  If a baby wears it all the time, it seems like it would impede growth or something. 

Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. :-/

Say WHAT?  Never heard that in my life.  And I'm not a kid.  If that's ever been a real thing in the U. S., I'm pretty sure it's not current practice, because my daughter researched baby care with almost maniacal fervor from the moment she became pregnant. Shaping my grandson's head is one of the only things she didn't obsess about when he was tiny. 

Now, I'm not saying that the way a child lies in the crib can't affect head shape.  Having been born with a dislocated hip, I spent several months as a baby wearing  heavy casts on both legs. To make things even more cumbersome, there was a bar that kept my legs apart.  I was held a lot--my tiny mother was a super-woman, and I also had older siblings who doted on me and carried me a lot--but when I was sleeping I was flat on my back. Sure enough, the back of my head is fairly flat and a little pointed. But . . . big deal! Luckily I have plenty of hair, and my brain is absolutely fine.  (Some may argue with that last point--haha.)  Also, I can't know for sure that my head wouldn't have been a little flat in the back anyway. If genetics helps determine the shape of one's hands, ears, and overall frame, surely it also plays a part in whether one has a roundish head, a squarish head, etc. Am I way off base, @doodlebug or other medical experts?

Edited by Portia
  • Love 6

I'm not advocating head shaping, at all, but I do think since the "back to sleep" campaign for babies, a lot of them spend a lot of time on their backs, and in infant seats, car seats, etc. and I notice a lot of small babies/children with flat heads in the back.  My daughter in law held her babies a lot, as did all of us, and the three of them have great shaped heads.  My kids were of the generation of Oh no, not not their backs, they will choke!  Whether that is genetics or from not spending most waking moments lying/sitting on their backs, who knows.  It takes, what, about 5-6 months for a baby to sit up?  But some are stowed in the car seats a lot.  Anyway, interesting discussion.

• Love 4

I don't think @Gemma Violet (beautiful name, btw) was saying her mom was pressing on her head as a newborn, but moving her position in her crib/cradle so she didn't end up with a flat spot. One of my nephews spent so much time lying flat on his back as a newborn that he had a flat spot on the back of his head. However, this corrected itself once he could roll over and change positions on his own. 

The turbans are a new one to me. I think I'd object less if they matched the turban to Felicity's outfits. Or not, I just got used to those big floppy bows that everyone thought baby girls needed instead of the cute little ribbon bows *I* used.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Portia said:

Say WHAT?  Never heard that in my life.  And I'm not a kid.  If that's ever been a real thing in the U. S., I'm pretty sure it's not current practice, because my daughter researched baby care with almost maniacal fervor from the moment she became pregnant. Shaping my grandson's head is one of the only things she didn't obsess about when he was tiny. 

Now, I'm not saying that the way a child lies in the crib can't affect head shape.  Having been born with a dislocated hip, I spent several months as a baby wearing  heavy casts on both legs. To make things even more cumbersome, there was a bar that kept my legs apart.  I was held a lot--my tiny mother was a super-woman, and I also had older siblings who doted on me and carried me a lot--but when I was sleeping I was flat on my back. Sure enough, the back of my head is fairly flat and a little pointed. But . . . big deal! Luckily I have plenty of hair, and my brain is absolutely fine.  (Some may argue with that last point--haha.)  Also, I can't know for sure that my head wouldn't have been a little flat in the back anyway. If genetics helps determine the shape of one's hands, ears, and overall frame, surely it also plays a part in whether one has a roundish head, a squarish head, etc. Am I way off base, @doodlebug or other medical experts?

No, it is a thing.  I had a baby two years ago.  At one of his early doctor's appointments he was looking a little flat headed in the back, so the pediatrician gave me some advice.  She told me to go out of my way to give him lots of time on his stomach (while he was awake) and to move his head so he was laying on different sides of his head in his crib and during diaper changes.  The back to sleep idea has reduced SIDS, but apparently has increased babies with "flat heads."  I also bought a 'noggin nest'  (look it up on Amazon)!that I put in his bouncer and car seat that kept his head straight so he wouldn't lean to one side.  All of this worked, and my son didn't need to have the helmet that some babies do!

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Zahdii said:

I'd skip pressing on a newborns head and manipulating their neck by moving the head around. 

LOL.  No pressing or manipulating.  It's simply varying which side you position the baby in the crib.

3 hours ago, Nysha said:

I don't think @Gemma Violet (beautiful name, btw) was saying her mom was pressing on her head as a newborn, but moving her position in her crib/cradle so she didn't end up with a flat spot.

Thanks!  Yep, that's it exactly.

1 hour ago, lucy711 said:

my son didn't need to have the helmet that some babies do!

There's also baby head shaper pillows now.  That might be the Noggin Nest you're referencing.  Here's a baby head shaper:

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Head-Shaping-Pillow-registry/dp/B078T36ND9/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1539707369&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=baby+head+shaping+pillow&psc=1

This baby head shaper pillow helps your baby develop a round head over time with its contoured pillow center.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, CountryGirl said:

Why Jeremy feels the need to kiss Jim Boob's ass is beyond me.

He already ate the nasty as hell canned tuna with BBQ sauce. He should be set for life.

Not a Jeremy fan before the ass-kissing comment, and I like him even less, now.

Remember when Boob went to Jer's bachelor apartment and made a nasty remark about Jer's closet stinking?  Maybe Boob should smell his own reputed halitosis.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, CountryGirl said:

Why Jeremy feels the need to kiss Jim Boob's ass is beyond me.

He already ate the nasty as hell canned tuna with BBQ sauce. He should be set for life.

The internet won't stop speculating that Jim Bob hates him and that Jeremy is generally disgusted with the Duggar family and is leading Jinger away from their bad habits. Jeremy is pulling a Jessa and delivering a fuck you internet. 

• Love 4

Damn, it's not even winter yet (does that area of Texas even HAVE real winters) and still with the hats.  ???

She's a cutie, but why does she never have an uncovered head?  Even indoors?  Do today's babies have to wear head coverings at all times?

• Love 8
15 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Damn, it's not even winter yet (does that area of Texas even HAVE real winters) and still with the hats.  ???

She's a cutie, but why does she never have an uncovered head?  Even indoors?  Do today's babies have to wear head coverings at all times?

Well, you know Jingle wears knit hats all the time. She probably thinks everybody should. I remember her wearing a knit hat in late-ish spring in Sydney.... And there's little to no chance it was actually knit hat weather there at that time. ....I don't know whether it's just style or whether her ears get abnormally cold or something. But knit hats are a Jingle trademark. Just hope they don't drive Felicity nuts the way some parental clothes-fetishes do when they get applied to a kid who doesn't respond to things the same way. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6
On 10/14/2018 at 3:01 PM, awaken said:

LOL, I’m starting a banana bread ministry like Jill!  Except I’ll give out big slices!  

Megan Markle seems to belong to your ministry (she took her homemade banana bread to Australia to share with a family that they had a meal with). 

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Megan Markle seems to belong to your ministry (she took her homemade banana bread to Australia to share with a family that they had a meal with). 

I saw that and I thought hers looked pretty awful too. 

• Love 6

Jinger posted a picture of Felicity in the Felicity hat right after she was born. It was an issue then since it was 100 degrees out and she was literally just showing a picture of a gift. So at least she's wearing it in a more weather appropriate time and it's only going to fit this year. She looks comfy cozy and adorably snug in her hat and matching outfit. 

• Love 7

Haven't some suggested that a possible reason Felicity is never seen without a hat is because she has no hair?  And a bald baby girl is not acceptable to Jeremy and/or Jinger?  Sounds reasonable to me.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Fosca said:

Haven't some suggested that a possible reason Felicity is never seen without a hat is because she has no hair?  And a bald baby girl is not acceptable to Jeremy and/or Jinger?  Sounds reasonable to me.

She's not completely bald. Maybe they just got gifted a lot of hair thingees and want to use them. 

Screenshot_20181018-133142.jpg

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Fosca said:

They do seem very devoted to the gender signaling of bows, etc.

• Love 4