Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

I worked all day yesterday with a long LONG commute and was thinking about Jinger...

Why doesn't she teach piano?  She could do it for free as a ministry or charge a small amount of money and have a little part time job. 

• Love 8

Jinger could do so many things with her free time if she showed any interest in anything. I'm sure Jeremy would allow her to take community college classes online, like Michaela who I think got an associates.

Spending all day at home with your husband gets boring and annoying after a while. I certainly wouldn't want my headship breathing down my neck all day ruining my alone time.

• Love 9

It appears Jinger is a competent cook, and Jeremy is appreciative and not critical. They seem to like each other, at least. They're clearly attracted to one another. They are not rushing to cram a baby into that little apartment. Maybe the marriage will go all right for them.

• Love 15

I mentioned this over on an episode topic, and won't beat it to death. But. Jinger's been indoctrinated all her life to believe that her role is wife and mother. Her mother was obsessed with making babies, and IIRC her mother's fertility chart was posted in the kitchen and the Duggar daughters were responsible for keeping it updated. Jill has already, on camera, asked Jinger if she's pregnant yet. Jinger's sister-in-law and married sisters have been pumping out babies - each of them I believe got pregnant ASAP. Jill sure did, and I believe Anna was peeing on sticks probably from the morning after her wedding night, and only Josh's absence at Jesus Jail has slowed her roll with the pregnancies. 

I think Jinger is, and will continue to be, under a lot of pressure (spoken or unspoken) from her family of origin to get busy having babies. Her parents and her siblings appear to believe that the state of her uterus is a matter for family inquiry and conversation, and I don't think they will ever back off. "Are you pregnant?" is going to be, I think, the phrase Jinger hears most often from her relatives, until she finally *is* pregnant.

That's a lot of pressure for a sheltered and somewhat immature young woman to withstand. I hope JereME is sensitive to that, and supportive of her. It could really get hard for her.

And, as for now, we may see lots of things she could be doing with her time in addition to the modest housekeeping demands of a husband and small apartment. But I don't think Jinger does. Maybe Babe will be a supportive husband and leader in this regard. Because Jinge would need someone to lead her, I hope gently, into seeing more possibilities than she was reared to know. 

• Love 13
(edited)

At least Jeremy did say that 5 years from now seems like a good time to start a family. Did Jinge and Babe publicly agree, in their wedding vows, to only have unprotected sex and let the lord decide the amount of kids?

Edited by louannems
  • Love 2
On 6/19/2017 at 3:41 PM, Mollie said:

I don't think there is much of an audience for Jeremy's "Biblical exegetical expository teaching."  His church only has about 25 people attending services.

I don't know how this works.  Are the 25 members paying Jeremy's salary or does his paycheck come from some magical kingdon in the sky?

• Love 4
Just now, Jellybeans said:

I don't know how this works.  Are the 25 members paying Jeremy's salary or does his paycheck come from some magical kingdon in the sky?

I THINK since it's a church plant, the "daddy church" that is planting Grace Laredo is paying him until the church actually grows roots and is stable on its own.  In addition, the tithes and offerings from those 25 people go directly to Grace Laredo church. 

That is typically how a church plant works.  

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I THINK since it's a church plant, the "daddy church" that is planting Grace Laredo is paying him until the church actually grows roots and is stable on its own.  In addition, the tithes and offerings from those 25 people go directly to Grace Laredo church. 

I thought a church plant was a "plant"... i.e., someone who was put there secretly for purposes of spying... lol.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Jellybeans said:

I thought a church plant was a "plant"... i.e., someone who was put there secretly for purposes of spying... lol.

Hahahaha

I'm a conspiracy theorist so I'm Ok with that! 

• Love 2
On 2017-06-19 at 7:06 PM, Marigold said:

We have never heard him mention the families in Laredo with any type of love, compassion or service.  Maybe he does but I have never seen it nor does he give that vibe. Writing a sermon for 40 hours with candles burning in a comfortable home office doesn't scream "service" to me.  He really should be in the church office and be available for people to come in to talk to him, ask for help, volunteer for help etc.  JereME has really cut himself off from his own congregation.

Excellent point! That in itself is very telling on Jeremy's actual goals and motivations (not that I wasn't aware he was some self-serving pretentious asshole, but geez, dude).

I remember watching and finding this a bit odd, but it wasn't until I read your post that it really hit me.

(slow clap) Good job, Jeremy. Good job.

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, Marigold said:

In this situation it depends on whether the "daddy church" and the "church plant" fall under the big umbrella of Grace Community Church, which is a national brand.  There's some proof the churches are at least loosely affiliated with GCC, but it's unclear whether Tim Conway runs a franchise so to speak.  We don't know who directly signs Jeremy's checks: GCC or Tim Conway.  But the promising sign is if they are even loosely affiliated that Jeremy may have access to decent health insurance since a lot of times national churchs and denominations will create a pool for health insurance purposes.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, Jellybeans said:

Lol! Love it :D

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lunera said:

Jinger could do so many things with her free time if she showed any interest in anything. I'm sure Jeremy would allow her to take community college classes online, like Michaela who I think got an associates.

Gah! I hate that Jeremy has to "allow" his wife to do anything ...

• Love 15
28 minutes ago, saylubee said:

In this situation it depends on whether the "daddy church" and the "church plant" fall under the big umbrella of Grace Community Church, which is a national brand.  There's some proof the churches are at least loosely affiliated with GCC, but it's unclear whether Tim Conway runs a franchise so to speak.  We don't know who directly signs Jeremy's checks: GCC or Tim Conway.  But the promising sign is if they are even loosely affiliated that Jeremy may have access to decent health insurance since a lot of times national churchs and denominations will create a pool for health insurance purposes.

Do you know if Grace Pregnancy Centers are part of the national brand? Because the church and a pregnancy center share space. 

http://www.gracepregnancycenterlaredo.com/location--contact.html

• Love 2
(edited)

Ok, we know that Jinger will never show any initiative but in case Jeremy reads here...

Jinger was homeschooled.  There are tons of homeschoolers everywhere  (I am one of them) and Pastor Jeremy can easily plug into any homeschool group. 

Jinge can:

1. offer to help in a homeschool co-op teaching music

2. Offer to help in a homeschool co-op doing photography

In my little co-op this year, we have two adults who were homeschooled, volunteering, as they attend college.  One took school pictures with a fancy $ camera and that greatly helped with getting a slick yearbook for the kids. She even took pictures for the homeschool prom, which was really cool!   The other young woman  gives music lessons. 

This is not splitting the atom for Jinger.  This is not attending a scary, evil college.  This is something she is familiar with and actually enjoys doing. It's a great way to make friends, give service to people, support homeschooling and invite people to their church. This is a completely reasonable plan for Jinger.  Something that she can manage and it's ONE day a week. 

We are all hoping that she is going to break out and be a bad ass.  Probably not going to happen. Let's be real.     But there are PLENTY of things she can do, in her own circle, to use her talents. And she is not even doing that.  That's the part that makes me nuts. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 9

Okay so the Tim Conway this thread is talking about is NOT the Tim Conway that's the comedian Carol Burnett worked with, right?  So no sermons by Dorf?  Nothing from Eunice or Mama Harper coming our way?  I just want to make sure.   

• Love 24
3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

That's a lot of pressure for a sheltered and somewhat immature young woman to withstand. I hope JereME is sensitive to that, and supportive of her. It could really get hard for her.

I think this is why every chance she's had she's deferred the question to Jeremy.  I think that they discussed children before marriage and decided to limit them in whatever way they were both comfortable doing.  Neither Jeremy's parents or his main church group are quiverful or opposed to birth control.  I still believe Jeremy had a box of condoms in his suit case for the honeymoon.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, EAG46 said:

Okay so the Tim Conway this thread is talking about is NOT the Tim Conway that's the comedian Carol Burnett worked with, right?  So no sermons by Dorf?  Nothing from Eunice or Mama Harper coming our way?  I just want to make sure.   

Now, THAT would be worth watching!!!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

I think this is why every chance she's had she's deferred the question to Jeremy.  I think that they discussed children before marriage and decided to limit them in whatever way they were both comfortable doing.  Neither Jeremy's parents or his main church group are quiverful or opposed to birth control.  I still believe Jeremy had a box of condoms in his suit case for the honeymoon.

I hope we get to see a scene where Babe is in the same room as Jinge and they are bombarding her with "are you pregnant ?" and he tells them that that is personal and he and Jinger will let them know when they are expecting. 

• Love 15
(edited)
2 hours ago, EAG46 said:

Nope. Cause if you listen to Jer's sermons, you'll be absolutely sure that the last person who would give him a job would be a comedian. ... He is not funny, people. He is sending y'all to hell. (just like all the other Duggar adjacents.... They're like Satan's personal ushers.)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Gah! I hate that Jeremy has to "allow" his wife to do anything ...

Oh, I hear ya! I completely agree.

But the reality is that Jinger was raised to be under a man's thumb. The best that can be hoped for right now is that she is under the thumb of someone who in gentle and caring and who will take her best interests into consideration and encourage her to grow ... and that eventually this will lead her to her realize that she doesn't have to be under anyone's thumb at all!

• Love 20
48 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Oh, I hear ya! I completely agree.

But the reality is that Jinger was raised to be under a man's thumb. The best that can be hoped for right now is that she is under the thumb of someone who in gentle and caring and who will take her best interests into consideration and encourage her to grow ... and that eventually this will lead her to her realize that she doesn't have to be under anyone's thumb at all!

Now that wouldn't be any fun for controlling JereMe.  Remember, he likes her meek. 

• Love 6

Grrr, that word again! Meek! 

I guess as long as "meek" means Jinger is "allowed" to wear pants and read books and not be instantaneously impregnated,  I'm gonna have to support the guy. At least for now. 

I reserve the right to declare him an oppressive asshole at a later date, though!

• Love 18

This is not going to be a popular opinion but I will say it anyway.

I hope that Jinger and JereME decided together about birth control.  Or did Jeremy give his opinion on what he wants and Jinger agreed because that is what her husband wants?  What if Jinger would like a baby sooner than Jeremy?   Does Jinger get a say in the matter?  I bet she doesn't.  Jeremy likes 'em "meek"

• Love 5

Let's say they are on a five year plan before starting a family.

Wouldn't it be great if Jinge decided to get her GED, go to college and get a degree in what she wants or is interested in because she has 5 years to realize her own ambitions?

Even if she decided to do something in college to help their ministry, she would be doing more than any other woman in her family other than pumping out bambinos.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, louannems said:

At Jeremy did say that 5 years from now seems like a good idea to start a family. Did Jinge and Babe publicly agree, in their wedding vows, to only have unprotected sex and let the lord decide the amount of kids?

I don't think he actually said they'd start in five years.  When they were asked where they see themselves in five years, he said with children.  The plan could be to start having them in the second or third year of the marriage.

• Love 6
(edited)

I would be surprised if it was five years.  It doesn't bother me if it's Jeremy's idea they wait. She's 23 and he's 29. Anyway if one person wants to wait to have kids, I think it's more fair to wait since as couple they can change their minds later.  Once anyone decides to have kids, that decision is made and that ship is sailed.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 4
30 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

I don't think he actually said they'd start in five years.  When they were asked where they see themselves in five years, he said with children.  The plan could be to start having them in the second or third year of the marriage.

This is the way I also understood it: they will have started their family by the five year mark. 

• Love 2
On 6/19/2017 at 3:51 PM, Jeeves said:

It's nice to fantasize about Jinger writing a book, but we all know she won't.

Actually, it's not necessarily carved in stone she won't. If a Christian publisher decides they'd like a ghostwritten "romance" about Jinger and Holy Goalie's squeaky clean courtship, you bet your butt it's going to happen. It's a slam-dunk digital and paperback success. Let's face it: Snooki wrote at least one romance novel. (GHOSTWRITER). Chris Harrison, that smug ass from the Bachelor/Bachelorette, wrote one and claimed he was going to write at least one novel every year moving forward. Uh, duhhh, dude. You obviously a) found out how difficult they are to write and b) didn't want to put the work in, even with a ghostwriter. He's still at one. I'm also thinking sales weren't what the publishing house was expecting because if they were, they'd freaking write it for him and release it under his name. Of course Nicholas Sparks (World's Biggest Asshole -- seriously, he vies for that title with KJB and the orange abomination) claimed it was his idea and he mentored (please hold my hair back while I vomit) Harrison. The Pioneer Woman wrote the story of how she met her husband and sold a bunch of them.

Uh, he had nothing to do with it but suggesting it. Sparks is unbelievably arrogant to a genre and a few thousand romance authors whose hard work has been keeping publishing afloat for years now.

In related Duggar content, you know that J-Chelle will coo that gosh, the biggest romance of all is with Jesus, but she's oh, so proud of her author daughter. This romance novel is "okay" to read because Jesus helped her write it or some other bullshit. The Holy Goalie might want to consider the effect on the family savings account of oh, $100K or so that his wife worked a few hours a day for two weeks to a month to "earn". If you're a celebrity being ghostwritten by an actual author, you get money for very little work and everyone is just SO impressed. LOL

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Marigold said:

This is not going to be a popular opinion but I will say it anyway.

I hope that Jinger and JereME decided together about birth control.  Or did Jeremy give his opinion on what he wants and Jinger agreed because that is what her husband wants?  What if Jinger would like a baby sooner than Jeremy?   Does Jinger get a say in the matter?  I bet she doesn't.  Jeremy likes 'em "meek"

Since he will be the only one supporting the kid/s, I'll grant him the final say.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Marigold said:

I worked all day yesterday with a long LONG commute and was thinking about Jinger...

Why doesn't she teach piano?  She could do it for free as a ministry or charge a small amount of money and have a little part time job. 

That's a GREAT idea!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Since he will be the only one supporting the kid/s, I'll grant him the final say.

I agree.  There’s nothing like having kids you can’t afford.  In an episode of “Bringing Up Bates”, Gil and Kelly said that they apologized to their older kids for what they went through.  I was hoping they’d elaborate more, because it seems as though Alyssa is still harboring some ill feelings.  The fact that the Duggalos have been married for more than six months and there is still no bambino in sight, gives me hope.   

• Love 9
(edited)
50 minutes ago, Adeejay said:

I agree.  There’s nothing like having kids you can’t afford.  In an episode of “Bringing Up Bates”, Gil and Kelly said that they apologized to their older kids for what they went through.  I was hoping they’d elaborate more, because it seems as though Alyssa is still harboring some ill feelings.  The fact that the Duggalos have been married for more than six months and there is still no bambino in sight, gives me hope.   

I think that's one of the reasons people can tolerate the Bates more than the Duggars. At least Gil and Kelly can acknowledge that their children went through hardships due to the parents choices and they can validate their feelings. 

As as far as Jeremy having the final say on when they have kids, if Jinger really wants a baby she will have one when she wants baring any medical limitations- humans being humans and the nature of mamamillain reproduction women have the final say over that. Not that I think Jinger doesn't care about Jeremy's opinion but it helps she isn't baby crazy like her sisters.  In non fundy world women have "forgotten" their contraception etc after discussing family planning with their husband/partner because they didn't like the plan. 

Edited by Scarlett45
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

If Jinger's family of origin is any indicator, she'll be doing the vast bulk of the childcare. Not to mention obviously being the one who has to get pregnant and give birth. I think it is she who should have the final say - this after they both agree that they are financially ready for a child.

I realize the Duggars are no mathematicians but I do think Jinger is a tad more on the ball than the others. And I believe she is just as capable of monitoring their financial situation and making a decision about when the time is right for them to have a baby as Jeremy is.

I guess I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea of Jeremy controlling the purse strings and that meaning he is entitled to call the major shots in their marriage, especially when it comes to something like when to have a child.

• Love 21
(edited)
16 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Who is supporting them now?  I disagree that the spouse with the largest economic stake in the marriage gets to be final arbiter over the number of kids they have, but, the fact of the matter is that Jinger is indeed employed and I am willing to bet heavily that the income they derive due to her TV show is far higher than whatever salary Jeremy gets from his part-time ministry efforts.  And, I also believe that it was at least in part, her TV show and the potential exposure and earnings it provides that incentivized Jeremy to court her.

While spouting the Gothard party line about being submissive helpmeet, all of the Duggar daughters have far and away the more lucrative 'careers' than their respective spouses.  While the show isn't going to last forever, it has launched them all into marriages which have allowed them and their husbands to essentially be at home full time. And, those husbands get to hang out and do whatever floats their boat while accepting no responsibility for maintaining the household, let alone raising the kids.

Edited by doodlebug
mismatched tenses make me tense
  • Love 21

I wouldn't be surprised if fewer kids was part Jinger's decision.  She was never all that maternal with her buddy group.  She was the only sister that seemed to follow through with her "hobby".  She has dreams of living in a bigger city.  Jinger just always seemed way more grounded then some of the older sisters.  

I would think if anything Jeremy would want kids right away.  He's pushing 30, his best friends have multiple children, and marriage/kids tend to legitimize Pastors.  He's also got a good relationship with kids like Spurgeon and his friend's kid that knew about the engagement ring.  He doesn't give off the "I hate kids therefore I don't want to have them" vibe.

• Love 3
On 2017-6-18 at 8:31 AM, Jellybeans said:

Love the video.  She is filming something other than babies, weddings and her husband.  

I watched the ant video all the way through! Twice! Something I cannot do with anything involving live Duggars. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

If Jinger's family of origin is any indicator, she'll be doing the vast bulk of the childcare. Not to mention obviously being the one who has to get pregnant and give birth. I think it is she who should have the final say - this after they both agree that they are financially ready for a child.

I realize the Duggars are no mathematicians but I do think Jinger is a tad more on the ball than the others. And I believe she is just as capable of monitoring their financial situation and making a decision about when the time is right for them to have a baby as Jeremy is.

I guess I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea of Jeremy controlling the purse strings and that meaning he is entitled to call the major shots in their marriage, especially when it comes to something like when to have a child.

I think WE should have the final say!  HA!  Frankly I think it needs to be a mutual decision.  Since Babe was raised with a semi normal family he may not pressure her to have as many blessings for jesus as her fertility will allow which would be a good thing.  Personally I would like her to embrace her freedom, decide babies are for her sisters not her and live however she wants.  But who knows.  At least she is wearing pants.  Bar is so low you cannot limbo under it.

• Love 8

I wonder (and this is just me spitballin' in the air) if Jeremy doesn't understand that Jinger won't make a single decision without him telling her to.  He grew up more "fundie-lite", where it's preached that the man is "the head", but women still decide things on their own.  (For example, hairstyle). Jinger grew up literally unable to make a single decision on her own.  So, if Jeremy doesn't mention teaching piano or taking some college courses, Jinger won't, even if she wants to. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Hey it was 107 degrees in my beautiful So Cal a few days ago! And I assure you we are no Laredo. :) :) The highest was 117 four years ago. My daughter thought she was going to melt. Good thing Ginger can now wear shorts.

Edited by SMama
  • Love 2

Sadly, not necessarily.  We had a lot of 100/100 days in Florida.  I apparently erroneously thought Laredo wouldn't be super high humidity.  I should have known better from our last drive across Texas.

• Love 8
On 21.6.2017 at 5:57 PM, Jeeves said:

But. Jinger's been indoctrinated all her life to believe that her role is wife and Jill sure did, and I believe Anna was peeing on sticks probably from the morning after her wedding night, and only Josh's absence at Jesus Jail has slowed her roll with the pregnancies. 

Not even that . Anna is having a child roughly every two years and she's right on track for Number 5 .

• Love 6
(edited)
25 minutes ago, SMama said:

Hey it was 107 degrees in my beautiful So Cal a few days ago! And I assure you we are no Laredo. :) :) The highest was 117 four years ago. My daughter thought she was going to melt. Good thing Ginger can now wear shorts.

But SoCal has no humidity. You're in the desert. I live in NoCal. No humidity up here either, except in the mornings when the clouds burn away with the morning heating. I could NEVER live in the South. But then, we live without a/c in most homes around the Bay, so life would be totally different than what I'm used to. I can't imagine how miserable 100/100 must feel. 

Right now, it's 106 in Laredo, but only 21% humidity, with a comfortable dewpoint of 58, so it's not *that* unbearable. I'd still rather be where I am right now, where it's a much more pleasant 73. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3