Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

Sew Sumi, Its down to 101 right now (7:45 pm) in Stockton, and should ONLY be 103 tomorrow.  This has been a terrible weather week, and only last weekend we had hail and a lightening and thunder storm.  Go figure!

• Love 1

I heard the thunder and we had a shower here in Oakland after midnight (so on my birthday) on Sunday/Monday. I was kinda freaked out by the thunder. I wasn't gunshots. It wasn't fireworks. What the HELL? At midnight???? Then it poured for a couple of minutes and went away. Soooo strange. 

Woke up to a perfect 75 degree day. 

• Love 2

The vineyards were covered in white (hail), and a funnel cloud was spotted.  And we had LOTS of lightening and thunder.  It was really strange, considering we don't get rain from June through September.

That was such a FREAK storm! My husband had just got home from work, was in the shower, and missed it! We had maybe three rumbles of thunder, one flash of lightning, then a downpour for that lasted maybe two minutes. That's about as exciting as our weather is in the Bay. 

Sorry, but that weather should be illegal. It gets to 100% humidity here, but doesn't really get above 30 deg C, and that is bad enough. If Jinger can keep sweet with a smile plastered on her face while wearing thick layers in that weather, I'm impressed. I would be scowling.

• Love 4
(edited)
19 hours ago, irisheyes said:

I wonder (and this is just me spitballin' in the air) if Jeremy doesn't understand that Jinger won't make a single decision without him telling her to.  He grew up more "fundie-lite", where it's preached that the man is "the head", but women still decide things on their own.  (For example, hairstyle). Jinger grew up literally unable to make a single decision on her own.  So, if Jeremy doesn't mention teaching piano or taking some college courses, Jinger won't, even if she wants to. 

Jingle has a growth curve. Its been only about 7 months since she made a very dramatic life change. She wasn't raised to be anything more than a breeder so is huge that she's not yet on that train. She's learning to cook, dress herself, and acclimate to her very new surroundings. Yeah, and getting to know the guy she's living with. She hasn't been encouraged to be ingenious or ambitious so I'm going to give her more time on the curve before she's considering suggestions to occupy her time.  And, yes, as you say, there will have to be suggestions; this girl has never been encouraged - or allowed - to think for herself.

Edited by mimionthebeach
  • Love 12
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 7:59 PM, Celia Rubenstein said:

Oh, I hear ya! I completely agree.

But the reality is that Jinger was raised to be under a man's thumb. The best that can be hoped for right now is that she is under the thumb of someone who in gentle and caring and who will take her best interests into consideration and encourage her to grow ... and that eventually this will lead her to her realize that she doesn't have to be under anyone's thumb at all!

I was hoping that for Jill.  I thought Derick & his mom would help her out.  Sadly that didn't happen.  They became the crazy fundies.

• Love 8
19 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Isn't 100% humidity called rain?

No, it's called Hell. 

I'm in Iowa and once in awhile in the summer we can see close to 100/100 and even 80 degrees with high humidity is the freaking devil. 

• Love 17
4 hours ago, gunderda said:

No, it's called Hell. 

I'm in Iowa and once in awhile in the summer we can see close to 100/100 and even 80 degrees with high humidity is the freaking devil. 

I'm in Iowa too and I agree 100%.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, mimionthebeach said:

Jingle has a growth curve. Its been only about 7 months since she made a very dramatic life change. She wasn't raised to be anything more than a breeder so is huge that she's not yet on that train. She's learning to cook, dress herself, and acclimate to her very new surroundings. Yeah, and getting to know the guy she's living with. She hasn't been encouraged to be ingenious or ambitious so I'm going to give her more time on the curve before she's considering suggestions to occupy her time.  And, yes, as you say, there will have to be suggestions; this girl has never been encouraged - or allowed - to think for herself.

Jinger has always come off extremely introverted to me. Normally I don't like speculating on the contents of a woman's uterus but it is the Duggars so... It wouldn't surprise me if Jinger and Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabe are putting off having children because Jinger is enjoying peace and quiet for the first time in her life. There's also the added bonus of JB and Michelle being far away so they're not squawking for another cash cow grandchild to Jinger's face.

Jill and Dullard also are a cautionary tale about jumping into the sack to make babies on the first try.

• Love 18

Texas is great. Nice people, mostly, you can find any type of land you want we  have ( small) mountains Big Bend National park, hilly areas, San Antonio, flat land Lubbock, a long coast line. That's one good thing about being a large state you have a lot to choose from. I will say, as a third generation Texan, I hate our summers, but the winters are good. As northerners tell me when they move here, you don't have to shovel sunshine.

• Love 6

I have to say that Texas seems to agree with Jinger. I don't hear her whingeing about how much she misses the Stinkertoy House.  From everything she's said, she's enjoying not being surrounded by chaos 24/7. And, she appears to be thriving.  Jeremy really seems to appreciate her cooking. 

• Love 16
(edited)

Jeremy's former football team, New York Red Bull's is playing NYC FC.  It doesn't relate directly to them on the show,  but he did have a 9 year run as a professional footballer.

PS it's on Fox until 2:30 Central.

Edited by mzskyhawk00
Put down which broadcast station it's on.
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, mzskyhawk00 said:

Jeremy's former football team, New York Red Bull's is playing NYC FC.  It doesn't relate directly to them on the show,  but he did have a 9 year run as a professional footballer.

His professional career was more like two years:

"After college [2011], Vuolo signed with Finnish club AC Oulu and appeared in 24 games for the team and recording 11 cleansheets, helping the club to a third-place league finish. [He was only on the Finnish team for one season.] Vuolo returned to the United States when he signed with Major League Soccer club New York Red Bulls, on January 25, 2012.

"After his release from New York, Vuolo briefly stepped away from the game to concentrate on full-time ministry, but announced in April 2013, that he had signed with NASL club San Antonio Scorpions. At the beginning of the 2014 season, he was an unused substitute for the first two matches, and then lost his place on the team. As of at least June 2016, he no longer was among the NASL roster of active players."

That's from Wikipedia.  Jeremy's one year with the New York Red Bulls was a failure.  "Vuolo signed with the New York Red Bulls in January 2012, quickly finding himself playing backup to rookie goalkeeper Ryan Meara. As the season went on, though, Vuolo slipped further and further down the depth chart when the team added Hummelstown, PA native Bill Gaudette to its roster in July and one-time US international Luis Robles in August ... On November 19, 2012, New York declined his option for the upcoming year."  http://www.phillysoccerpage.net/2013/03/11/philadelphians-abroad-former-rbny-keeper-vuolo-leaves-soccer-for-ministry/

Jeremy was just another college athlete who couldn't make it professionally.  He likes to say that God called him out of sports to be a minister.  The truth is that sports kicked him out.   He's just not honest enough to admit that.

• Love 21
4 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Jeremy was just another college athlete who couldn't make it professionally.  He likes to say that God called him out of sports to be a minister.  The truth is that sports kicked him out.   He's just not honest enough to admit that.

Being honest seems to be a hard concept for the Duggars & the Duggar adjacent to live by.

• Love 12
(edited)

In the absence of knowledge of those teams he played for, I was being quite generous to Jeremy.

Also, I was including college.  Not all professional years.

Edited by mzskyhawk00
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 6/16/2017 at 0:07 PM, Mollie said:

Jeremy spends all day studying because he's not prepared to be a minister.  He was 'ordained' by his father, not by a recognized organization.  He never went to seminary and has no idea what the heck he is doing.  He accused Derick of being a 'self-appointed' missionary.  The same thing could be said about Jeremy.  Just because his buddy set him up in this church doesn't mean that he is prepared to do the work.

Those sermons he preaches in Laredo don't connect with the congregation at all. 

Jeremy's church needs to invest in a taller pulpit or else he's going to end up permanently hunched over like a fundie wife who's Nerf-gunned out a million kids.  And please, please Jeremy, for the love of God (no pun intended) - please learn how to write a coherent sermon that doesn't swing wildly around, circle back only to say the same thing with slightly different words, then violently swing about again.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  This is what happens when, as MOLLIE said, you go to the equivalent of the SOTDT for pretend ministers whose daddy bestows a fake church title.  Also, not for nothing, please do something with that little devil-horn piece of hair that was sticking out and distracting me away from your hard-as-nails nipples.  I have my priorities, you know.

Edited by Magoo
Forgot to credit Mollie!
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, Magoo said:

And please, please Jeremy, for the love of God (no pun intended) - please learn how to write a coherent sermon that doesn't swing wildly around, circle back only to say the same thing with slightly different words, then violently swing about again.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

He went to college, so I assume he had to take a speech class at some point or even a writing class that taught him to make an outline with a thesis statement and support for his thesis? I had to take those two classes during my first year b/c they're the basis for every writing and presentation project required in almost every class I took for the next 10 years.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/15/2017 at 6:32 AM, WhineandCheez said:

That's a cute typo!  I've always loved your name Maharincess.  Great Lucy episode.

Oh geez, I just noticed this.  I love that episode too.  Every time I see your name I crave jelly beans. 

On 6/14/2017 at 9:40 PM, Maharincess said:

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Nysha said:

He went to college, so I assume he had to take a speech class at some point or even a writing class that taught him to make an outline with a thesis statement and support for his thesis? I had to take those two classes during my first year b/c they're the basis for every writing and presentation project required in almost every class I took for the next 10 years.

Unfortunately, many take the class but don't really take the point! And I imagine that, as an athlete, Jer didn't spend much time practicing the skills for several years there. .... Plus, I wonder whether, when you feel you're god-inspired, you may be less likely to pay a lot of attention to logical connections and all that? Inspiration may seem to trump those things a bit?

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4
(edited)

Has Jer/Jin done anything for their church, like take meals to new parents, or someone who's down on their luck or the elderly?

ETA  - I think I hear crickets chirping.

Edited by ariel
  • Love 7

Jinger claimed during last night's episode that they were "working on the ministry." That's a vague statement, and she didn't elaborate. In real time, this would have been early February. 

• Love 3

So, does anyone know what the real time line is from when Jeremy was called to 'be a preacher" to when he starting doing it officially? I read here somewhere that he has no actual seminary or divinity school training at all and no theological classes in college either....so, on who's authority does he preach and is a pastor? He's telling others how to live and what to do, from HIS OWN OPINION? He is the pot calling the kettle black referring to the Dillards unpreparedness to be missionaries....step aside, Derick & Jill, Jeremy is seated right next to you. Jer has a lot of nerve calling DDD out.

• Love 7
(edited)
41 minutes ago, floridamom said:

So, does anyone know what the real time line is from when Jeremy was called to 'be a preacher" to when he starting doing it officially? I read here somewhere that he has no actual seminary or divinity school training at all and no theological classes in college either....so, on who's authority does he preach and is a pastor? He's telling others how to live and what to do, from HIS OWN OPINION? He is the pot calling the kettle black referring to the Dillards unpreparedness to be missionaries....step aside, Derick & Jill, Jeremy is seated right next to you. Jer has a lot of nerve calling DDD out.

Well, the Duggars are special people & they just have to watch someone do something for maybe 5 minutes or so & they become an expert on it. ;)

Edited by ariel
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jinger claimed during last night's episode that they were "working on the ministry." That's a vague statement, and she didn't elaborate. In real time, this would have been early February. 

If I'm not mistaken, they believe the show is a ministry. Jeremy was working out and Jinger was straightening her hair to get camera ready, bam, working on the ministry. 

• Love 8
(edited)
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

Well, here's the Wikipedia account of his soccer career. ... And I remember reading an account at some point of him tied up in some sort of mental knots over whether soccer was his calling or whether there should be something else. when he was with the NY team, I think. I remember some stuff about him thinking that his less-than-hoped-for performance on the field might be some sort of message from God or something and the coach talking to him, with what I sort of interpreted as bafflement that somehow not being the greatest sports star could be seen as a message from God to go preach and trying to get him to take a more realistic perspective .... Jer wasn't having that realistic perspective thing, hwoever. 

'Vuolo began playing at college soccer in 2006 at Hartwick College, before transferring to Syracuse University in 2010 to complete his senior year.[1] Before and during college, Vuolo also appeared for PDL club Reading United between 2005 and 2010.[2]

'After college, Vuolo signed with Finnish club AC Oulu and appeared in 24 games for the team and recording 11 cleansheets, helping the club to a third-place league finish.[3] Vuolo returned to the United States when he signed with Major League Soccer club New York Red Bulls, on January 25, 2012.[4]

'After his release from New York, Vuolo briefly stepped away from the game to concentrate on full-time ministry, but announced in April 2013, that he had signed with NASL club San Antonio Scorpions.[5] At the beginning of the 2014 season, he was an unused substitute for the first two matches, and then lost his place on the team.[citation needed] As of at least June 2016, he no longer was among the NASL roster of active players.[6]'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Vuolo

So, in other words -- the pastor thing ... not very long in the making. Although with his father having the career -- and Jer's ego! -- he may well have had it in the back of his mind forever as his next move after pro sports .... I definitely got the impression from stuff I read that he was kind of blindsided that his pro sports career was of such short duration, though. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
6 minutes ago, floridamom said:

What, these idiots STILL believe that their TELEVISION SHOW is a ministry?...how in any way, shape or form is it that?  Oh, come on Duggars/Dillards/Seewalds/Vuolos/Foresyths...

They all totally believe that!

JB and M convinced their kidlets that it was a ministry as soon as they got it and they also seem to have convinced them that it's pretty much the entire meaning of their lives -- both monetarily and in every other way.................

And then, I'm convinced, JB mainly -- or only? -- has cottoned on to suitors who were ripe to buy this as well. Derick is a kind of sad little nerd who liked missionarying and wished he could do it full time. Bin a horny somewhat sad teenager who wanted a preaching ministry. And Jer a sports never-was who ditto. .............And Anna was easy because her nutso Gothard parents are all about everything being a "ministry," too.mSo, yeah, they're all all about everything being their ministry.

Like Jessa's clothing is her ministry. .......I mean, the Duggarlings learned about "ministry" and "missions' when they'd go to some Central American beaches for a week and visit some towns and hand out dum-dums and nail polish. And they were told that that was a big big deal for God. And they're really all so dim and they've been so well barricaded against gaining any additional knowledge or understanding  -- and they've also been very well schooled in the whole Duggar ego thing, which all the ones we ever actually hear from seem to have in spades, as far as I can tell -- that as adults they apparently hold on to this horse hockey completely. When Joe wears his stupid -- Are you going to hell tonight while you sleep? -- tee shirt to the amusement park .Yep! That's the big ministry. 

• Love 12

Somewhere around here, perhaps on the Dillards topic, someone snarked that if Jinge and Babe stick around Laredo for awhile, Jinge will soon be speaking Spanish much better than Jill. Out of idle curiosity I looked up info on Laredo. I agree about Jinger's opportunity to learn Spanish. Laredo's population, which grew by 42% from 2000 to 2014, to 252,309, is 95% Hispanic. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Jeeves said:

Somewhere around here, perhaps on the Dillards topic, someone snarked that if Jinge and Babe stick around Laredo for awhile, Jinge will soon be speaking Spanish much better than Jill. Out of idle curiosity I looked up info on Laredo. I agree about Jinger's opportunity to learn Spanish. Laredo's population, which grew by 42% from 2000 to 2014, to 252,309, is 95% Hispanic. 

And Jinger said on last night's show that most of the church members speak Spanish. I'm assuming Jeremy's sermons are in English. I hope the congregation is bilingual. 

• Love 4
Just now, GeeGolly said:

And Jinger said on last night's show that most of the church members speak Spanish. I'm assuming Jeremy's sermons are in English. I hope the congregation is bilingual. 

They probably are. And I assume that most people in Laredo speak English, and plenty of people with Hispanic heritage may not speak Spanish at all. I know lots of Hispanics (I'm not in Texas) whose families have been in the US for periods ranging from one generation to hundreds of years (yes, some families go back to the Spanish land grants). Many of those families "lost" the Spanish language along the way. I know one guy who learned to speak Spanish so he could talk with his grandmother. I knew another accomplished professional from an old land grant family who tried to learn Spanish, but struggled with it forever, just didn't have the knack. 

I didn't mean to imply that nobody speaks English in Laredo, but OTOH there are lots of opportunities to practically immerse yourself in Spanish and plenty of Spanish-speaking people, a lot more than in the average US city.

• Love 8
Just now, galaxychaser said:

Jeremy is the hottest husband so far. Jinjer is lucky to have his 20 babies.

I think his face is kind of rabbity-looking from several angles. Ben is IMO better-looking and his physique isn't so bad either. OTOH Jeremy's a man, while Ben's barely out of his teens and still wet behind the ears. "Hottest husband" for Duggar daughters so far isn't a really high bar to clear.

• Love 12
25 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Can Babe speak any Spanish?  If he has any plans of converting the Catholics who live there to his particular flavor of Christian, he's going to need it.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I think his face is kind of rabbity-looking from several angles. Ben is IMO better-looking and his physique isn't so bad either. OTOH Jeremy's a man, while Ben's barely out of his teens and still wet behind the ears. "Hottest husband" for Duggar daughters so far isn't a really high bar to clear.

Maybe Austin, because he doesn't seem to like Jim Bob that much and because he never talks about having a 'ministry.'  

• Love 5
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Maybe Austin, because he doesn't seem to like Jim Bob that much and because he never talks about having a 'ministry.'  

I hope to heck he isn't just biding his time until one day he up and tells us about his dream to have a Reno and Flip Ministry. 

Like -- which one is it? Jason? Justin? -- who's going to be a "preacher mechanic"?  ..... On the other hand if he's really a mechanic who fixes preachers, he'll have lots of work right in the family.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 15
(edited)
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

They probably are. And I assume that most people in Laredo speak English, and plenty of people with Hispanic heritage may not speak Spanish at all.

That's why I was rolling my eyes at the preview for next week where Jingner and Jeremy were struggling to communicate with the waitress. I live in the Southwest in a city with a huge Latino population and in ten years I've never had a problem communicating with anybody. But of course the Duggar have to play up the stereotypes.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

I think JinJer is smarter than Jill, too.  Jill seems to be lacking brain cells.  Not that JinJer would be a contestant on Jeopardy, but I am proud of her for (I hope) NOT getting pregnant right away, no matter how they are so fortunate to avoid her having a baby, at least in their first year of marriage.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

That's why I was rolling my eyes at the preview for next week where Jingner and Jeremy were struggling to communicate with the waitress. I live in the Southwest in a city with a huge Latino population and in ten years I've never had a problem communicating with anybody. But of course the Duggar have to play up the stereotypes.

Traveling in Texas and the SW, only once have my daughter and I needed to speak in Spanish to do business.  Although I have to admit that was in Pecos, TX. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

I'm perennially surprised Jessa lined Jinger up with someone who could even remotely be competition for Ben in the looks department.  She seems like she'd be too insecure and clinging with fingernails for dear life to the "honor" of having the "hot" husband.

• Love 3