Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, Temperance said:

It seems he should listen to his own advice anyway and actually practice what he preaches. 

As far as I can tell, Jeremy lives in an echo chamber of his own self regard. 

He looks at a lot of books, but I wonder whether he ever picks up anything that doesn't just mirror his prior thoughts (which have to be largely based on nothing, except probably some of this father's preaching). As I've harped on before, while his website does mention in passing the "mentor" of whose church Jer's church is a plant, the rest of the site makes it pretty clear that he's never actually listened to a word his "mentor" says. His attitude is a complete 180 from the stuff that guy says. 

"Ministry" means "ego" and ego only to Jer, I think, just as, I suspect, soccer did. I admit that this was my first impression of him. But I don't think his behavior is proving my impression wrong, unfortunately. Of course, if that's what Jingle likes, then, knock yourself out, Jingle. 

• Love 12

I know Jeremy is balls deep in this crazy theology, but if there is a couple that I think who will become less crazy over the years, it is this one.  I can see them becoming your normal conservative Christian. Jeremy's exposure to the real world will help. I think eventually ( maybe in 5 years) he will realize that life kind of sucks being so rigid and will desire to enjoy his life again. I'm not saying he will be out partying but I think he will desire normal-ness. 

I also think Jessa and Bin will slowly step away but it will be harder for them as they have had way less exposure to the real world. 

• Love 9
(edited)

Jeremy posted a picture last night of a very dirty looking stray puppy he met on her evening walk. I have no idea why he would post that but he was getting tons of crap in the comments for not taking him to a shelter. Any other person would have taken the puppy and tried to find him a nice home but he was found by fundies.

Edited by Lunera
Mistakes
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, yogi2014L said:

I know Jeremy is balls deep in this crazy theology, but if there is a couple that I think who will become less crazy over the years, it is this one.  I can see them becoming your normal conservative Christian. Jeremy's exposure to the real world will help. I think eventually ( maybe in 5 years) he will realize that life kind of sucks being so rigid and will desire to enjoy his life again. I'm not saying he will be out partying but I think he will desire normal-ness. 

I also think Jessa and Bin will slowly step away but it will be harder for them as they have had way less exposure to the real world. 

I think you're right.  Jeremy can only walk around with starch in his underwear for so long before he realizes it's a lot of work to be uptight about about damn near everything all the damn time.

• Love 4

Jeremy has PLENTY of material to teach at HIS church without mentioning the Catholics, Mormons, Jews or anyone else.  Just stay in your lane, Jeremy. 

Bashing is nothing new with the sons in law.  Ben has made a few videos interviewing "experts" who trash talk the LDS with very inaccurate information.  He stopped Mormon bashing and recently posted some anti Catholic book he is reading.    

Ben and Jeremy are poking around with a stick to see where they get a reaction.  The LDS don't give a crap about the Duggars.  They are monitoring Sister Wives and still getting over Big Love!!!   When Ben's LDS bash video fell flat, he moved onto Catholics. He just posted an anti Catholic book on Instagram. 

Jeremy knows damn well that bashing Catholics in his online sermons will get him publicity and some love with the evangelicals.  Being an ex "soccer star" and then deliberately pursuing a Duggar kidult tells me he is in it for the fame.  He is deliberately trying to be controversial. 

Jeremy is very attention seeking.  

• Love 8
(edited)
31 minutes ago, Lunera said:

Bashing other religions is a fundie pastime, what's new? FU Margie...

At least she tried to keep it civil and didn't name a list of religions that are going to hell.   

The theme is the same but I give her credit for, at least, trying to be softer and wording things a little nicer than haters Ben and Jeremy who are so offensive when they post/talk. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, Marigold said:

At least she tried to keep it civil and didn't name a list of religions that are going to hell.   

The theme is the same but I give her credit for, at least, trying to be softer and wording things a little nicer than haters Ben and Jeremy who are so offensive when they post/talk. 

I like wolves to dress as wolves. Give me Duggar-in-law directness rather than some nicely worded statements that amount to the same exact thing. She's saying that people of every religion except evangelical protestant Christianity are going to hell.--she should own that.

• Love 15
5 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I like wolves to dress as wolves. Give me Duggar-in-law directness rather than some nicely worded statements that amount to the same exact thing. She's saying that people of every religion except evangelical protestant Christianity are going to hell.--she should own that.

To think she was almost an in-law! By yes, she's just polishing a turd. I hope the Israelis give her a good talking to.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I can agree with that point of view also. 

She is deliberately vague so she doesn't "offend anyone".  I'm LDS (ex IFB) and not really offended by her post. I would think it could slide by a Catholic also. 

I just personally hate the "hell list". 

• Love 6

Actually I think she is not bashing moderate Christian churches. I don't think she is bashing Catholics, but then I am not truly aware of their salvation beliefs.  Must moderate Christian churches believe in grace-and don't think you need to dress, eat or drink in certain ways to be saved.  It's the Duggars that think you have to do extra things.  Now she is bashing Islam and Jewish religions. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Jeeves said:

^^^Well said. Jeremy said he spends, IIRC, 40 hours a week with his [religious/theology] books. 

So, that's 40 hours a week he is *not* ministering to his church, *not* checking in with the church members, *not* maintaining and fixing up the rundown church property, *not* reaching out personally to people who may need comfort and emotional support in times of need, certainly *not* visiting the sick, and *not* providing any practical support to members of his church (a ride to the hospital to visit a relative, a ride to the job center, help filling out job applications, etc.). 

Yep. His "ministry" = sitting on his ass in his home office for hours while Jinger does the laundry and cooks, preaching awful sermons that he carefully videos and posts online, traveling to interact with big name pastors in the evangelical/fundie world, and plenty of SM posts to be sure we all are Keeping Up With Jeremy V. 

Jesus wept.

I feel like it must also be very uncomfortable for jinger, having to tiptoe around the small apartment in her housewife role. Get hubby out of the house so she can watch some soaps! I would hate having to keep quiet while doing everyday tasks so I wouldn't bother the Master At Work, and that task will be damn near impossible once they have kids. Why can't he give some impression of doing work by actually going to his church office, and maybe then he could do some good if someone happened in who needed counseling or aid. I'm Methodist, and my church office is open every day except Monday and Friday for these reasons. 

I always thought it would be fun to be a minister, except writing the actual sermon. I love being in front of a crowd, and could easily give the sermon, but I would hate having to come up with one every week. I would love the counseling, volunteering, and especially visiting church members. Sounds like Jeremy and i are polar opposites!

• Love 5

I'm sure the first few months it was fun to be home alone all day with Jeremy but now she must be bored.  Pastor Vuolo writing all day in the other room?  Yuck. 

I bet he is very controlling.  At the TTH she could slip in and out without Jana noticing too much.  now?  Jeremy must hear the door open and yell  "Jinge, what are you doing, my love???" 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

Actually I think she is not bashing moderate Christian churches. I don't think she is bashing Catholics, but then I am not truly aware of their salvation beliefs.  Must moderate Christian churches believe in grace-and don't think you need to dress, eat or drink in certain ways to be saved.  It's the Duggars that think you have to do extra things.  Now she is bashing Islam and Jewish religions. 

The Catholic church is big on works and, like the Catholic church, many of the mainline denominations are big on working for social justice as a requirement of the faith and so on. I'm pretty sure she's bashing everybody there. These folks are fixed mainly on Catholics a lot of the time, and Marjorie is no dummy, so there's not even a chance that she hasn't picked up the word about works and Catholicism, seems to me. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

I feel like it must also be very uncomfortable for jinger, having to tiptoe around the small apartment in her housewife role. Get hubby out of the house so she can watch some soaps! I would hate having to keep quiet while doing everyday tasks so I wouldn't bother the Master At Work, and that task will be damn near impossible once they have kids. Why can't he give some impression of doing work by actually going to his church office, and maybe then he could do some good if someone happened in who needed counseling or aid. I'm Methodist, and my church office is open every day except Monday and Friday for these reasons. 

I always thought it would be fun to be a minister, except writing the actual sermon. I love being in front of a crowd, and could easily give the sermon, but I would hate having to come up with one every week. I would love the counseling, volunteering, and especially visiting church members. Sounds like Jeremy and i are polar opposites!

Jeremy spends all day studying because he's not prepared to be a minister.  He was 'ordained' by his father, not by a recognized organization.  He never went to seminary and has no idea what the heck he is doing.  He accused Derick of being a 'self-appointed' missionary.  The same thing could be said about Jeremy.  Just because his buddy set him up in this church doesn't mean that he is prepared to do the work.

Those sermons he preaches in Laredo don't connect with the congregation at all. 

• Love 9
(edited)

Hey Pastor Volvo-

Use a laptop so you can cut and paste and delete.

Using a fancy pen and writing it in cursive doesn't make it any more profound or meaningful.

A good sermon just has 3 points that you fill it up with Blah, blah blah.

Most congregations don't want too much info... they  want a nice message, sing a few songs, have a prayer or two and be outta there in 45 minutes.

15 minutes cookies and punch social then load up the car...got things to do on our Sunday off...

Don't bore the audience.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 20
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Pastor Vuolo writing pretentious, offensive, boring, poorly stated crap all day in the other room?  Yuck. 

FIFY

1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

I always thought it would be fun to be a minister, except writing the actual sermon. I love being in front of a crowd, and could easily give the sermon, but I would hate having to come up with one every week. I

would love the counseling, volunteering, and especially visiting church members. Sounds like Jeremy and i are polar opposites!

Jeremy likes the part where you stand up in front of people and drone on and on, showing them how brilliant and wise and holy you are, while they stare up at you worshipfully. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
Just now, humbleopinion said:

Hey Pastor Volvo-

Use a laptop so you can cut and paste and delete.

Using a fancy pen and writing it in cursive doesn't make it any more profound or meaningful.

Ha! I was thinking the same thing while watching that. Who the heck uses pen and paper anymore? He looked so 1980's studying for finals.  And how long would it take to clean that tiny apartment every day? Once she has a system in place I'm thinking an hour a day. Then what does she do the rest of the 23 hrs? lol.  Jinge is going to want to have a baby sooner than later just to have something to do.

• Love 4

I like the idea that Jinge lazes around all day...having had to do the housework, childcare and cooking for her mother and brothers for throughout her childhood and teens she should take selfies of herself sitting on her ass with her feet up in different spots of her apartment laughing...

• Love 21

Jeremy is writing a sermon for 40 hours a week? 

Derick is looking like a go-getter!

You know Jeremy reads here...he has a lot of time on the computer.  Alone.  He googles himself daily.  ;) 

Uh-oh...I hope this doesn't lead to Satan building a fortress in his heart.  Josh had a lot of alone time also and look how that turned out. 

• Love 7
On 6/12/2017 at 10:16 PM, asuwur said:

Bedtime I totally need a fan blowing on me, really cool air and a thick comforter....I'm a chick of many contradictions!

As a Catholic, it really upsets me how anti-Catholic Jer  (and I guess the lot of them) are but him especially since he's a Northeastern Italian and must have a few Catholic relatives. BUT I do enjoy that he appears to relish sticking it to Boob at al....

I so badly want to sleep with a thick comforter but i have my AC cranked down to 64 overnight, a fan pointing at my head, my ceiling fan on and I can still only sleep with a thin blanket :( :( :( 

Isn't church about loving everyone? Isn't that what God wants us to do?? I'm Lutheran but not active but I'm pretty sure that's what we were taught. And the catholic church was HUGE in my tiny town!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, humbleopinion said:

What Jinge does all day:

-Binges on Brady Bunch reruns and Netflix

-Trolls on her sisters' and bro-in laws' SM

-Writing Fundy romance novels

..his hot breath on my neck from his fervent side hug stirred the woman in me..

....I entwined the fingers of my left hand with the fingers of my right hand ...imagining that is what it will be like on my wedding day and the sweet knowing that comes from mashing my husband's palm forcefully flush against my open palm...

Even the Brady bunch might not be appropriate!!! They don't even consider every episode of Andy Griffith okay. Greg and Marcia kissed people they weren't married to, and even Bobby did in that one episode! Plus, carol was thought to be divorced, and mike could get kind of randy in some of those scenes. Maybe those would be okay for jinger, since she's now married, but the moment her 27-year-old sister Jana walked in the room, that would have to be shut down...

• Love 3

I grew up Fundy and we had a big push for actually practicing the faith. James 2:14-19 (Faith without works is dead...") was heavily emphasized and preached on at least one sermon a year. And our pastor followed through on setting an example of that. He was an excellent sermon-giver but also went into the community, worked in his office with the door open, did counseling, etc. 

Seems Jer and Dreck need to read their Bible a bit more carefully since both of them think sitting on their ass and posting Bible verses is sufficient to their faith. Here's a hint guys: it makes Christianity look like a joke. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Even the Brady bunch might not be appropriate!!! They don't even consider every episode of Andy Griffith okay. Greg and Marcia kissed people they weren't married to, and even Bobby did in that one episode! Plus, carol was thought to be divorced, and mike could get kind of randy in some of those scenes. Maybe those would be okay for jinger, since she's now married, but the moment her 27-year-old sister Jana walked in the room, that would have to be shut down...

Marcia and Jan show way too much leg though. Some of their dresses barely cover their bottoms. Still I guess Jinger could watch as long as she yelled "Nike!" when Jeremy enters the room.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Marigold said:

Still it boggles me, and this probably belongs in a discussion of religion overall, but why are churches bashed for good works? Even we Catholics don't believe you get to heaven through works alone, but if you're faith is in Christ wouldn't you be compelled by your beliefs to do good work in his name? 

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Clemgo3165 said:

Still it boggles me, and this probably belongs in a discussion of religion overall, but why are churches bashed for good works? Even we Catholics don't believe you get to heaven through works alone, but if you're faith is in Christ wouldn't you be compelled by your beliefs to do good work in his name? 

Move it over to the Religion forum and we can talk there! 

(edited)
49 minutes ago, Clemgo3165 said:

I think it's basically a misunderstanding of the early reformer Protestants. They were understandably grousing about corruption in the Church where they saw some people able to buy their way out of sin and so forth. And they weren't actually condemning the whole enterprise -- they were calling it to reform itself, not disappear. So they stressed the "faith is the thing" aspect, which they thought had been lost by many people....

But when  that theology gets the telephone game played with it hundreds of years later by a bunch of dunderheads who, like most dunderheads, mostly love being special and right while they bash other people, it just turns into gobbledydook about how the whole works thing is wrong wrong wrong. And then of course it's been further corrupted -- although these asses don't know it -- by the long American history of discrimination against Catholics because they came from the wrong countries and in many cases weren't white enough -- so that played into some earlier Americans embroidering on this Catholics-and-works-are-bad theme.

And then all this goes into the mouths of this gang of uneducated "pastors" and other commentators and whee!!! We have the REAL Jesus cause we just have faith! Self-important judgmental idiots and theology don't mix well. 

Everybody in this group is a SOTDRT graduate and most are either members of cults or have been sucked into the Duggars' cultish ways to some degree, so about all we could ever expect from Jer, Der, Bin, Marge, etc., is garbled self-righteousness that thinks it's theological depth, I expect. They live in a bubble and a self-righteous bubble at that. .... Besides, if they don't condemn Catholics and mainline Protestants, they might have to go out and try to convert somebody who doesn't even believe in Jesus at all. That would be more difficult and expose us to human differences!  (and we don't do those in Duggardom.)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 14
(edited)
9 hours ago, Marigold said:

Jeremy and Derick are really milking that 35 hour thing. 

Hey, they're going above and beyond it! This is why they're the TeeVee holy family! 

Have to admit that I'm a slow writer, too, though. And actually I'd rather they spent some time looking stuff up and thinking things over before pronouncing than just winging it, especially since both start from the know-nothing position. And I've seen some of what they say with preparation. So I hate to think about what they'd say if they were winging it. And I doubt that it would be any shorter, either. Sermonizers who are freeform rambling tend to just ... ramble. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3
8 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Hey, they're going above and beyond it! This is why they're the TeeVee holy family! 

Have to admit that I'm a slow writer, too, though. And actually I'd rather they spent some time looking stuff up and thinking things over before pronouncing than just winging it, especially since both start from the know-nothing position. And I've seen some of what they say with preparation. So I hate to think about what they'd say if they were winging it. And I doubt that it would be any shorter, either. Sermonizers who are freeform rambling tend to just ... ramble. 

Yeah, IIRC the one-hour guy freely admitted he's capable of extemporizing off an outline but stressed that not everyone's got that gift, which I should think not.

• Love 3

Interaction with his congregation would probably help him with the sermon writing. I wonder how much Jeremy really gets out there, or how much they would come to him, if he were at the church.

• Love 8

I shared this in the episode thread, but I made breakfast tacos today, just like Jinger.  And it actually is easier to put the eggs and sausage in a serving bowl and then put it into the tortilla shells as needed.  Jinger taught me something.  :)  I am amazed at the amount she made, though.  It looked like enough for 12 people.

That's how it should be.  But people usually come down on one side or the other.  They do a lot of "good" works without a real heart change, or they say they have faith internally but do nothing to show it on the outside. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, lascuba said:

And how many other world religions has she truly studied?

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Interaction with his congregation would probably help him with the sermon writing. I wonder how much Jeremy really gets out there, or how much they would come to him, if he were at the church.

If wonder how many in Jeremy's congregation understand and speak good English, and if Jeremy speaks or understands any Spanish. 

• Love 4

As someone who has spent the last 10 years taking classes, I don't have a problem with Jeremy, at this stage in his career, having to spend 40 hours a week prepping for his sermon. I spent almost as much time on a 15 minute PowerPoint presentation justifying my master's thesis, which I had spent the last 10 weeks preparing. Since he didn't go to college and get a theological degree, every subject he preaches on is going to be new to him and to do a good job, he's going to have to do a lot of research. 

• Love 8

Pastor Volvo's speaking Spanglish would endear him to the congregation who understand enough to get the jest of his message.

Sprinkling in as much Spanish in the local vernacular mixed in with futbol (soccer) references should make him a big hit among the congregation.

Las Mujeres would think PastorV is muy guapo and would listen to his blah blah blah.

I would love a picture of Jinge gazing up at him while he is preaching so we could snark....

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, 88Keys said:

I shared this in the episode thread, but I made breakfast tacos today, just like Jinger.  And it actually is easier to put the eggs and sausage in a serving bowl and then put it into the tortilla shells as needed.  Jinger taught me something.  :)  I am amazed at the amount she made, though.  It looked like enough for 12 people.

21 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Pastor Volvo's speaking Spanglish would endear him to the congregation who understand enough to get the jest of his message.

Sprinkling in as much Spanish in the local vernacular mixed in with futbol (soccer) references should make him a big hit among the congregation.

Las Mujeres would think PastorV is muy guapo and would listen to his blah blah blah.

I would love a picture of Jinge gazing up at him while he is preaching so we could snark....

I'd guess the women of the congregation are very invested in Jinger making sure the man is stuffed full of food.  A friend's fiance once taught ESL in night school in NYC and his lady students were always bringing him food to fatten him up, and sometimes even clothes.  They were also very concerned that he was currently single and thus, "alone" at the time without anyone to do such a thing for him.

Edited by queenanne

Culturally you show your affection/appreciation by making something from your hands and your heart...  like food or clothing if they think your wardrobe needs spiffing up.

Treating him like a family member and caring about someone doesn't need translation... he was being showered with affection from his students.

• Love 2

I think Jinger will go blonde at some point. Jeremy will get her to abandon the DIY hair, and one day she'll be at a hair salon and the stylist will suggest highlights and it'll just never stop. 

• Love 6
On 6/16/2017 at 0:32 PM, humbleopinion said:

-Writing Fundy romance novels

..his hot breath on my neck from his fervent side hug stirred the woman in me..

....I entwined the fingers of my left hand with the fingers of my right hand ...imagining that is what it will be like on my wedding day and the sweet knowing that comes from mashing my husband's palm forcefully flush against my open palm...

Jinger's going to have to try harder than that if she wants to make any money. The "fundie romance novel" is actually called Inspirational in the industry and those who write them do pretty well financially.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Missy Vixen said:

Jinger's going to have to try harder than that if she wants to make any money. The "fundie romance novel" is actually called Inspirational in the industry and those who write them do pretty well financially.

That sounds ghastly.

• Love 6