Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, MunichNark said:

Blimey, you both struck such a chord with me I just had to log in early morning.

My Mother was emotionally VERY distant indeed and whilst I was never physically abused or shouted at, she did make me feel very very useless. I'm just starting to realise and acknowledge that abuse comes in all shapes and sizes and it is perfectly fine to call it abuse regardless

Thank you for saying so. Important to hear. I struggle with calling my upbringing abuse because it wasn't "that bad"- not physical or sexual in nature, but neglect. The impact is still felt greatly, and for a lifetime. Thank goodness for trained, professional therapists :-)

3 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

And this is why this guy gets on my nerves.  No way he makes enough money to support the metrosexual wardrobe. 

Me too. no way. Nice to be a tv star to support that part time rookie pastors salary!

• Love 8
33 minutes ago, Mollie said:

"Jeremy loves books.  I love Jeremy.  Now I love books."  

That sounds like something a small child would write.

Yes, or maybe a Stepford wife?  That is what some of these fundie women remind me of.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I am kinda hoping she stumbles across a Jackie Collins book.  Next year she can move onto the 50 Shades books (I have not read them, I heard they were terrible but since she is not an experienced reader would she know the difference?).  You are welcome Jeremy.

I'd like her to read some ordinary 'chick-lit' so she can start to see autonomous women with jobs and boyfriends as normal, and sex as just one part of a relationship/married life. Maybe she could get her imagination cranking with Roald Dahl's children's books. Imagine the marvellous medicine she could make for Mechelle. Between George Mrs Twit and Matilda, think where her imagination could go in terms of getting revenge on her parents.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Mollie said:

Books. Not reading. Books.

• Love 20
(edited)
2 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Books. Not reading. Books.

Good observation! Her reading skills are probably so poor that Jeremy has to read adult books to her, like a parent reading to a child.

Edited by EVS
  • Love 3
(edited)
19 minutes ago, EVS said:

Good observation! Her reading skills are probably so poor that Jeremy has to read adult books to her, like a parent reading to a child.

Well, if he is willing to put the time into doing that, anything is better than what she has experienced thus far. Or maybe audiobooks? My son-in-law is very intelligent but was not brought up as a reader and never learned to be comfortable with reading books. My daughter, on the other hand, loved reading from a very early age and is just finishing up a Master's degree in library sciences. She has instilled in her husband an actual passion for "reading" (though it just about gives her hives to call it that) audiobooks. He's gained all sorts of knowledge and appreciation for language. Though, to be fair, he actually did have that in some form from the outset, having a relatively successful avocation in at least the local scene as a rapper. But the books have really expanded his boundaries.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
because I never manage to spot typos, especially the minor ones, until they are posted in earnest.
  • Love 8
11 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Well, if he is willing to put the time into doing that, anything is better than what she has experienced thus far. Or maybe audiobooks? My son-in-law is very intelligent but was not brought up as a reader and never learned to be comfortable with reading books. My daughter, on the other hand, loved reading from a very early age and is just finishing up a Master's degree in library sciences. She has instilled in her husband an actual passion for "reading" (though it just about gives her hives to call it that) audiobooks. He's gained all sorts of knowledge and appreciation for language. Though, to be fair, he actually did have that in some form from the outset, having a relatively successful avocation in at least the local scene as a rapper. But the books have really expanded his boundaries.

I agree that any exposure to literature would be great for Jinger. I think audio books are great for people who don't enjoy reading or have the time. My comment was more of a criticism of the poor education the Duggars children seem to have received. Also, I've read comments here where people have speculated that Jeremy is behind many of the changes in Jinger and may be kind of molding her into who he wants her to be. I was picturing him reading her books that he is interested in. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. I am probably reading too much into Jinger's simple comment

• Love 5
1 hour ago, EVS said:

I agree that any exposure to literature would be great for Jinger. 

I don't think Jeremy or Jinger are reading literature.  It's more likely that they are reading "biblical exegetical expository teaching."  At least Jinger will get to read something that wasn't written by Bill Gothard.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Mollie said:

For some reason, and I may be reading too much into it, I find Jinger's comment to be rather sarcastic.  I can't pinpoint why but it comes across that way to me.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, EVS said:

I agree that any exposure to literature would be great for Jinger. I think audio books are great for people who don't enjoy reading or have the time. My comment was more of a criticism of the poor education the Duggars children seem to have received. Also, I've read comments here where people have speculated that Jeremy is behind many of the changes in Jinger and may be kind of molding her into who he wants her to be. I was picturing him reading her books that he is interested in. That's not necessarily a bad thing though. I am probably reading too much into Jinger's simple comment

Well, 'Enry 'Iggns molded Eliza, and she did end up with a mind of her own. I know that's fiction but sometimes the right sort of nudge can have a far-reaching impact. Then again, much does depend on the quality of the mentor's mind.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Lunera said:

A Duggar blog on tumblr sent Jinger a list of books recommendations and is hoping she doesn't get blocked.

20170602_111624.png

Oh My -- I love ALL of these books.  Especially To Kill a Mockingbird and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (the move is wonderful as well-from 1945).  I don't think anyone will get blocked.  Jinger would love these books.  

• Love 7

I noticed that "Pride and Prejudice" is at the top of the list.  It is my all time favorite.  That book led me to the miniseries, which spawned my great love for Colin Firth. I think Jinger would also enjoy "Sense and Sensibility".

• Love 11
23 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

And this is why this guy gets on my nerves.  No way he makes enough money to support the metrosexual wardrobe. 

Who knows? He could've made decent money with Soccer. Maybe he invested well.

• Love 2

Jeremy wore the golfing outfit on Counting On.  I don't remember the episode number, but it was after JinJer were engaged and his friends came into town to tour the Duggar compound.  TLC may have comped the outfit to show that he was a quirky fashionisto. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Adeejay said:

I noticed that "Pride and Prejudice" is at the top of the list.  It is my all time favorite.  That book led me to the miniseries, which spawned my great love for Colin Firth. I think Jinger would also enjoy "Sense and Sensibility".

I guess that leaves Jessa as Emma and of course Jana as Anne Elliot of Persuasion. Jill? Pious Fanny Price of Mansfield Park. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, MamaMax said:

Who knows? He could've made decent money with Soccer. Maybe he invested well.

He was a backup goalie in second-rate leagues. Someone looked it up and the most he made was under $50k in New York. I don't know where he gets the money for his decidedly metro wardrobe.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

He was a backup goalie in second-rate leagues. Someone looked it up and the most he made was under $50k in New York. I don't know where he gets the money for his decidedly metro wardrobe.

He doesn't strike me as a guy who buys used & saves the difference.

• Love 2
(edited)

Will Jinger start taking him to thrift shops? I hope that influence in this marriage is a two-way street.

Edited by Sew Sumi
Autocorrect now defaults to JinJer. LOL
2 hours ago, Lunera said:

A Duggar blog on tumblr sent Jinger a list of books recommendations and is hoping she doesn't get blocked.

20170602_111624.png

In addition to some on your list, these were required reading in my high school:

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is by Mark Twain

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank 

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

The Call of the Wild by Jack London 

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck

We also read a lot of plays.  These are just a few that I remember:

Romeo and JulietJulius Caesar, and Macbeth
by William Shakespeare 

Our Town by Thornton Wilder

The Crucible by Arthur Miller

It's difficult for me to understand how far behind all the Duggar kids are when it comes to their education.  They've missed so much, including excellent teachers.

• Love 6

Great lists of books, but, seems too ambitious for a person just starting her "literary career".  She wouldn't understand most of them or what they represent.  Maybe start on Nancy Drew?  

• Love 14
1 minute ago, lookeyloo said:

Great lists of books, but, seems too ambitious for a person just starting her "literary career".  She wouldn't understand most of them or what they represent.  Maybe start on Nancy Drew?  

Just like her understanding of the Bible!

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Mollie said:

Actually, it sounds like a page in a small child's book.

I hope Jinge means she likes reading books, and not hollowing them out and making purses and boxes out of them.

I could assemble an outfit for Babe from thrift stores.....and it would be equally as nice as that golfing outfit, if not better......just give me a few days. (( OMG....are you listening, TLC ?? ...a new show, "Thrift Shop Challenge"!! Infinitely more interesting than the Duggs.))

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, drafan said:

Actually, it sounds like a page in a small child's book.

I hope Jinge means she likes reading books, and not hollowing them out and making purses and boxes out of them.

I could assemble an outfit for Babe from thrift stores.....and it would be equally as nice as that golfing outfit, if not better......just give me a few days. (( OMG....are you listening, TLC ?? ...a new show, "Thrift Shop Challenge"!! Infinitely more interesting than the Duggs.))  

See Jane run.  Run Jane run.  I'm dating myself, I know.

I thought the same thing when I saw that post.  It sounded like a sentence a second grader would write.

Jinger's assignment was Who Is Your Favorite Person and What Do You Like Best About Them.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

I would suggest Judy Blume.

• Love 13
18 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

My love of reading started with Nancy Drew books.  My best friend & I bought them at yard sales & flea markets when we were young. We spent many an afternoon reading our new purchases in our backyards over the summer. Too bad the Duggar kids can't have these  pleasant memories. 

13 hours ago, luvbadtv said:

I would suggest Judy Blume.

Judy Blume came to my mind too.  I can still remember reading & rereading "Are you there God, it's me Margaret?" among her other books.  Definitely not Duggar approved & once again it's too bad that the girls couldn't sit around giggling over the good parts  (& learning things) like we all did.  Much better than learning things from MEchelle.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Sweet Valley High or Babysitters Club?

If that fails there's always Dr. Seuss. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Sweet Valley High or Babysitters Club?

If that fails there's always Dr. Seuss. 

My daughter read these by the dozen back in the day.  I never censored what she read, and my mom never censored what I read, (which sure would shock the shit out of these wacko fundies.)  Guess what, Duggars?  All you're doing is limiting your kids' potentials forever!  

• Love 8
On ‎4‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 6:14 AM, Sew Sumi said:

That's the whole idea. If you keep them away from things that might make them think critically, they are easier to control and keep in the cult. 

I really hope that Jinger does have that spark that so many people thought they saw back in the day, and that it makes her look at everything she is now being shown - the art, the plays etc., and think "my parents kept this from me", and that is the push for a full on rebellion.

• Love 13
12 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

It's sad that Jinger only now loves books since she supposedly wrote one.

This is so true.  Says allot about why they did that book $$$$ boob style.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

It's sad that Jinger only now loves books since she supposedly wrote one.

"Supposedly" being the key word. It was ghost-written by David Waller and another Gothardite whose name I'm not familiar with and can't remember at the moment. 

• Love 4