Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, Lunera said:

The cute twin, Jeremiah.

8 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Jeremiah (I think).

Thanks, I really couldn't tell.  Was he the "bad" one who had to go to some kind of camp?  He is cuter than any other male from that family.  

5 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Thanks, I really couldn't tell.  Was he the "bad" one who had to go to some kind of camp?  He is cuter than any other male from that family.  

That was Josiah but I think the twins were also sent to Alert. He wasn't bad just showing too much personality. Josh and Joe went at some point too.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, drafan said:

Total turn-off.      Also: Jana does not need the cami layer under her t-shirt at all. It's so stupid. Like Mullet levels of stupid.

Um... I basically wear camis under everything casual, needed or not. It's not a modesty thing at all, sometimes I just like the added color or thinks it adds more of a (dated) style, but really it's because I pretend it helps to slim out my tummy.

... it's actually pretty dated and I should stop, but I've been doing it for so long I'm honestly not sure I'd know how to dress myself!

• Love 19
(edited)

She seems like a romantic, maybe something like Gone with the Wind would interest her as well

Naw, that Scarlett was a brazen hussy who flirted with mens without being married to them. Although she did have a way with an economical wardrobe - buy curtains & save the difference!

i think cute twin was the only one who had to go to Jesus basic training. 

Edited by heckkitty
  • Love 2

Wow - you guys think Jer is the cute twin? I thought Jed was - he's more traditional looking. Jer looks odd to me with the curly hair, freckles etc.

While it would be great for Jing to dive in and read anything she wants -- I'm not confident that she's at a high school reading level. Why not start with the late elementary/early pre teen stuff? That stuff tends to be "cleaner" and less mind blowing as it isn't so obviously about sex, questioning religion, life etc. Am I awful to think the Babysitters Club series is a good place to start? No idea if that's still available but female friendships, kids, and usually some minor "problem" that serves as a lesson; plus it introduces minor "issues" and shows that they are ok -- weren't there some divorced parents (Kristy?) that remarried someone, a widowed single dad (Maryann?), a really bad student with a genius sister (no idea who?), was someone adopted??! It'll open her mind to these ideas the same way you do that for 4th graders.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Lunera said:

Ok, I thought it was in Magnolia because there is another picture of Jessa in front of the shop wearing another souvenir Magnolia tee.

Jinger and Jeremy were not on this particular run into Waco. 

1 hour ago, Lunera said:

That was Josiah but I think the twins were also sent to Alert. He wasn't bad just showing too much personality. Josh and Joe went at some point too.

Only Jer and Joe went to Alert (of those you mentioned). Jed and Josh never went (never say never with Jed, though). Mechelle clarified this when they were pushing ALERT HARD  over multiple posts on their FB page a few months back. 

• Love 1

I do remember Joe went to alert only bc I remember that the family went to his "graduation" and there's a time when the "cadets?" stand at attention in front of their families but can't speak/interact yet. Jing ogled Joe and carried on with the "omg I miss him so much I can't stand it" and "I just need to [side]hug him" in such a manner that it was just uncomfortable. If someone didn't know them they'd think it was a girl talking about her boyfriend, not her brother. Gross.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, cereality said:

Wow - you guys think Jer is the cute twin? I thought Jed was - he's more traditional looking. Jer looks odd to me with the curly hair, freckles etc.

While it would be great for Jing to dive in and read anything she wants -- I'm not confident that she's at a high school reading level. Why not start with the late elementary/early pre teen stuff? That stuff tends to be "cleaner" and less mind blowing as it isn't so obviously about sex, questioning religion, life etc. Am I awful to think the Babysitters Club series is a good place to start? No idea if that's still available but female friendships, kids, and usually some minor "problem" that serves as a lesson; plus it introduces minor "issues" and shows that they are ok -- weren't there some divorced parents (Kristy?) that remarried someone, a widowed single dad (Maryann?), a really bad student with a genius sister (no idea who?), was someone adopted??! It'll open her mind to these ideas the same way you do that for 4th graders.

When my daughter was around 4th grade-ish, she was reading all the babysitter's club books, and I'll admit that I read them all as well. Not that they were captivating reading, but I'm one to pick up more or less whatever is lying around and they were cute stories - you could easily get through the book in less than an hour if I recall  (I can't quite remember how long they were). It was probably shortly after that when the Harry Potter books came out and we both (and my sons as well, though they were a little bit later getting into reading) read all of those the day they came out. By the time the last of the books were published, I was having to buy four of them since we all wanted to read them immediately and no one wanted to wait their turn! I wonder how Jinger would react to those? I know she's probably been brainwashed to believe that anything with "magic" is a stepping-stone for the devil to take up residence in your heart, but it seems that even within the Fundie community there are those who can accept fantasy tales with good moral messages, and on the off chance that this is the way her headship was raised, he might actually be able to convince her otherwise. And I think that if she did read it, she might actually find it appealing. 

I think it was also close to the same time, though maybe it was when she`was 11 or 12, that I first introduced my daughter to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books (which I had been obsessed with ever since they first came out) and she loved those immediately as well. My sons never did really get into those, though the younger one did come to appreciate Douglas Adams eventually. I suppose it's too much to hope that any Duggar could ever learn to enjoy anything that far off the wall....

• Love 1

Just in case Jinger or Jeremy skimmed over the few (million) references to her hair. It's time for a cut. Maybe 10" off the bottom and a couple of layers to enhance the waviness.

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I love long hair but Jinger's hair needs a cut.  It's damaged and it shows.

Maybe a cut and regrow?  

Jinger has naturally curly hair and spends a long time straightening it every day, which does serious damage to her hair.  She should cut it shorter and get it styled in layers and just let it be curly.

0 0 1 a cut 2.jpg

• Love 4

I'm pretty sure Jinger hair isn't naturally curly. Years ago, when they did that perming episode, one of the sisters said that Jessa was the only one with naturally curly hair. What killed Jinger's hair is the years of perming even after the rest of them stopped.

• Love 1
(edited)

I remember that perming episode but the recent hair tutorials show Jinger talking about her curls, beating the shit out of them with a straight iron and not washing her hair too much or it's a puff of curls. 

Duggars lie so who the hell knows what they were talking about in that perm episode.  It's puzzling! 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I remember that perming episode but the recent hair tutorials show Jinger talking about her curls, beating the shit out of them with a straight iron and not washing her hair too much or it's a puff of curls. 

Duggars lie so who the hell knows what they were talking about in that perm episode.  It's puzzling! 

Is it real curls or what straight haired people call curls? I have super curly hair and I'm always annoyed/amazed when straight haired people have like 1 S-wave and go, "OMG SO CURLY!" Or more likely in Jinger's case, all the heat and chemical damage has resulted in permanent frizz.

• Love 7

I have stick straight hair but my impression from her hair tutorials was that her hair is curly with loopy curls and not some waves. 

I totally get what your saying.  The perm video did say that only Jessa has curly hair but Jessa's hair doesn't seem very curly to me. Unless puberty hit and Jinger got curls?  It is so freaking weird. The old perm video and the current Jinger curls do not add up. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this interesting. 

More interesting is that Gothard likes curly hair and Jinger straightens her hair. 

• Love 2
(edited)
12 hours ago, cereality said:

Jer is easy on the eyes, but I think that Jed is the best looking Duggar guy - period.  And also, Jed is the only son over 14 who doesn't have a receding hair line.  

Edited by Adeejay
  • Love 1

One of the recent episodes of Counting On showed Jinger in the bathroom straightening her hair with a heat apppliance, while Ben was waiting to take her to the airport for her first trip to Laredo where she met Jeremy's parents for the first time.  It was on that episode that she said she hated her curly hair and she had to straighten it every day.  That's why her hair always looks so dry and brittle.  

• Love 1

I assumed she straightened it prior and was doing a little demo of what she did an hour ago...you know how DIY videos do that.  I figured she wouldn't want to be seen with her hair not done.  

Maybe it's just frizzy wavy that neither curls nicely or lays flat? 

I have pin straight hair so I can't tell what is really happening.  No flat irons in my bathroom!  

Duggars lie like rugs so it's hard to even get an actual factual answer on whether her hair is curly or not. 

• Love 4

You can have curly, wavy hair that looks like crap if left alone.  My hair is like that and I set it with orange juice cans back in the day to control it.  My daughter has the same very thick hair--we were always told our hair has lots of "body"--but you can't just let it go.  She straightens her hair and it looks great.  She could probably get great banana curls if she wanted, but she is not so inclined! Banana curls aren't the rage in Portland, Oregon~

• Love 3

Curly hair is all about using the right products. I have naturally curly hair (3a/3b) that I straightened for years because I could never get it to look right. I tried lots of different products. My stylist was no help. Then 6 months ago, I walked into a beauty supply store on a whim and a stylist with curly hair directed me to the right products. Now I just let my hair dry naturally and I get lots of compliments. 

Of course, I don't have 6 inches of fried split ends like the Duggar girls.

• Love 8
(edited)
15 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jinger and Jeremy were not on this particular run into Waco. 

Only Jer and Joe went to Alert (of those you mentioned). Jed and Josh never went (never say never with Jed, though). Mechelle clarified this when they were pushing ALERT HARD  over multiple posts on their FB page a few months back. 

Josiah, the one that courted Marge did go, there are pictures of him with the buzz cut and uniform. I'm not sure what forum I read it on but it was mentioned that Josh might have also gone to ALERT during the specials. There was speculation because he had a buzz cut. I don't know the time line well, but I think it was also around the time they were investigated.

20170607_110724-1185x1061.png

Edited by Lunera
3 hours ago, Marigold said:

I have stick straight hair but my impression from her hair tutorials was that her hair is curly with loopy curls and not some waves. 

I totally get what your saying.  The perm video did say that only Jessa has curly hair but Jessa's hair doesn't seem very curly to me. Unless puberty hit and Jinger got curls?  It is so freaking weird. The old perm video and the current Jinger curls do not add up. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this interesting. 

More interesting is that Gothard likes curly hair and Jinger straightens her hair. 

I think it was puberty. They also permed Jessa's more wavy than curly (due to the weight, I'm sure) hair back then. 

I remember Jinger saying she can't brush her hair or it becomes a frizzy mess. I deduced that she has to comb it when it's wet? Don't ask me; my hair got a little body and wave to it when I started going gray; before that, it was stick straight and baby fine. 

1 minute ago, Lunera said:

Josiah, the one that courted Marge did go, there are pictures of him with the buzz cut and uniform. I'm not sure what forum I read it on but it was mentioned that Josh might have also gone to ALERT during the specials. There was speculating because he had a buzz cut.

20170607_110724-1185x1061.png

Josiah was already mentioned in the post I was responding to. I corrected Josh and Her, who OP said HAD gone but actually hadn't.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, lascuba said:

Is it real curls or what straight haired people call curls? I have super curly hair and I'm always annoyed/amazed when straight haired people have like 1 S-wave and go, "OMG SO CURLY!" Or more likely in Jinger's case, all the heat and chemical damage has resulted in permanent frizz.

Im a fellow poodle head? Seems im a 3b and i tend to snort pityingly when people with barely a wave blather on about their curly hair

edit, if i brush my hair, i resemble sideshow bob. I can relate

Edited by MunichNark
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, lascuba said:

Thank you!

Yeah, I wouldn't call Jinger's hair curly at all if that video shows her hair in it's natural state. More like very slightly wavy and frizzy, like an unhealthy 2A: https://www.curls.biz/curly-hair-type-guide.html

It could be like mine.  Not curly but not super straight.  It has weird bends and flips and the underneath curls up.  Its irritating when you want straight hair.  Girl needs about a foot cut off, a very good conditioner and let it go natural once in awhile.  It isn't like she has anything to do like a job.  While she is rehabbing her hair I have yet one more suggestion.  Get rid of the black eyeliner and wash your face once in awhile.  It always looks like she has last weeks eyeliner on and just keeps smearing more on.  It drives me crazy they all look semi greasy all the time.

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

It could be like mine.  Not curly but not super straight.  It has weird bends and flips and the underneath curls up.  Its irritating when you want straight hair.  Girl needs about a foot cut off, a very good conditioner and let it go natural once in awhile.  It isn't like she has anything to do like a job.  While she is rehabbing her hair I have yet one more suggestion.  Get rid of the black eyeliner and wash your face once in awhile.  It always looks like she has last weeks eyeliner on and just keeps smearing more on.  It drives me crazy they all look semi greasy all the time.

YES!  Jessa has cleaned up quite a bit though. 

Jinger's make up is always greasy or looks days old.  Jinger needs to 1. wash her face more with a different cleanser  or 2. change brands of makeup

I have a feeling she will be cutting her hair soon.  Jeremy would be totally fine with shoulder length hair and Jinger's hair desperately needs to have damage cut off.  She can regrow if she likes. 

(I have long hair and have had to cut and regrow a few times over the years) 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I remember Jinger saying she can't brush her hair or it becomes a frizzy mess. I deduced that she has to comb it when it's wet? Don't ask me; my hair got a little body and wave to it when I started going gray; before that, it was stick straight and baby fine. 

This is my hair too. I'm glad to finally have a little body and curl but I have to keep it super short. 

31 minutes ago, Marigold said:

YES!  Jessa has cleaned up quite a bit though. 

Jinger's make up is always greasy or looks days old.  Jinger needs to 1. wash her face more with a different cleanser  or 2. change brands of makeup

I have a feeling she will be cutting her hair soon.  Jeremy would be totally fine with shoulder length hair and Jinger's hair desperately needs to have damage cut off.  She can regrow if she likes. 

(I have long hair and have had to cut and regrow a few times over the years) 

Jessa does look less greasy.  That is exactly what Jinger needs to do.  I have done the same thing.  Just cut over 12 inches off my hair and I know I will eventually grow it a little but not nearly as long as it was.  That was just a silly length of hair!

• Love 2

It hasn't been all that long since she stopped perming and she doesn't cut her hair, so I wonder if her "curls" are really just the old perm that's growing out. 

6 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I remember Jinger saying she can't brush her hair or it becomes a frizzy mess. I deduced that she has to comb it when it's wet?

Yep. I detangle in the shower with conditioner saturated hair and a wide-tooth comb. If I try getting a brush through my hair when dry, I'd end up tons of breakage. 

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:39 AM, Jynnan tonnix said:

It could be a point well made, but on the other hand "writing" that book was no doubt part of the "job" she had to do in an attempt to keep the family relevant. Lots of people slog themselves to jobs they don't enjoy to keep a roof over their heads, so her contributing words to the book didn't mean she was obligated to enjoy it in any way.

Hopefully she enjoyed some money from it.

9 hours ago, EVS said:

Curly hair is all about using the right products. I have naturally curly hair (3a/3b) that I straightened for years because I could never get it to look right. I tried lots of different products. My stylist was no help. Then 6 months ago, I walked into a beauty supply store on a whim and a stylist with curly hair directed me to the right products. Now I just let my hair dry naturally and I get lots of compliments. 

Of course, I don't have 6 inches of fried split ends like the Duggar girls.

Same here. Well, minus the straightening thing because even if it didn't cooperate all that well most of the time, I still preferred the look of letting it air dry to straightening it. Tried that once or twice, and pretty much everyone agreed that it just wasn't me. But it's actually only been in the past couple of years that I've convinced myself to splurge a bit on some of the specialty products for curly hair. Current favorites are from the Deva Curl line which honestly are life changing! I've gotten lots of compliments on my hair since using them, too :)

• Love 2
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Same here. Well, minus the straightening thing because even if it didn't cooperate all that well most of the time, I still preferred the look of letting it air dry to straightening it. Tried that once or twice, and pretty much everyone agreed that it just wasn't me. But it's actually only been in the past couple of years that I've convinced myself to splurge a bit on some of the specialty products for curly hair. Current favorites are from the Deva Curl line which honestly are life changing! I've gotten lots of compliments on my hair since using them, too :)

Devacurl is what I use too!

Edited by EVS
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Whelp. According to Pickles, Jeremy finally went there and preached an anti-Catholic sermon. He apparently said, and I quote "Just as Paul and Silas encountered the demonic in Phillipi, so we encounter that in Laredo. In this city we have the pagan religion of Catholicism gripping the souls of the majority." 

Jesus would not be pleased.

Did Jeremy mention that he was born of pagans?  Both his mother and father used to be Catholics and most of his relatives still are Catholics!  Catholics comprise 1/2 of all Christians in the world.  There are 1,285,000,000 (billion) Catholics in the world and 800 million Protestants.  Protestant Christianity was only invented a few hundred years ago, so I guess, in Jeremy's mind, all Christians until then were demonic pagans.  

In Laredo, TX, 52.7% of the population is Catholic.  If Jeremy doesn't like them, then he shouldn't live there because he's not going to be able to convert them to his way of thinking and they aren't interested in his "exegetical expository teaching."

• Love 21
36 minutes ago, Mollie said:

Did Jeremy mention that he was born of pagans?  Both his mother and father used to be Catholics and most of his relatives still are Catholics!  Catholics comprise 1/2 of all Christians in the world.  There are 1,285,000,000 (billion) Catholics in the world and 800 million Protestants.  Protestant Christianity was only invented a few hundred years ago, so I guess, in Jeremy's mind, all Christians until then were demonic pagans.  

In Laredo, TX, 52.7% of the population is Catholic.  If Jeremy doesn't like them, then he shouldn't live there because he's not going to be able to convert them to his way of thinking and they aren't interested in his "exegetical expository teaching."

In 1517 Martin Luther wrote his Ninety- Five Theses, thus beginning the Reformation on October 31,1517.  This is a big year for my fellow Lutherans. So that is 500 years.

The rest of your post is spot on.

• Love 7
41 minutes ago, Mollie said:

The Catholic Church is not very big into trying to force its teachings down other people's throats as of late. Thank God. However, this was not always true, with the Inquisition as one example. I think they started to realize that a) it is contradictory to its core teachings and b) it does not work.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Whelp. According to Pickles, Jeremy finally went there and preached an anti-Catholic sermon. He apparently said, and I quote "Just as Paul and Silas encountered the demonic in Phillipi, so we encounter that in Laredo. In this city we have the pagan religion of Catholicism gripping the souls of the majority." 

Yet Fundys are persecuted. 

• Love 9
(edited)
10 hours ago, BitterApple said:

UGGGHHHHH. 

Seriously, Jeremy. Here I am thinking you are the best of the Duggar sons-in-law (it's a low bar, I know). 

Well, at least you still *let* Jinjer wear pants, y'all didn't have a honeymoon baby, & you're  still the best looking (IMO...my heathen self still would).

I'm not religious but I was raised Catholic & am "culturally Catholic." I find it hilarious that these fundies are so gung-ho on the Catholic-hate since if you were to ask the average Catholic what they think of fundies they probably would answer with something like "I don't think of them at all." 

Jeremy's just jealous of the size of the local Catholic parish's flock (& perceived tithing) relative to that of his church. I mean, he even married a Duggar! Why aren't they ditching mass and filling HIS pews? His only hope is to convert some of the local Catholics.

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 18
1 hour ago, fonfereksglen said:

In 1517 Martin Luther wrote his Ninety- Five Theses, thus beginning the Reformation on October 31,1517.  This is a big year for my fellow Lutherans. So that is 500 years.

The rest of your post is spot on.

I can't wait for one of the Duggar kids to name a child 1517.

• Love 9
58 minutes ago, ariel said:

Psst - Jeremy - Jesus was born Jewish, practiced the faith, & died Jewish.  He wasn't a fundy like you.

Churchhoney can fill you in on this as well. Fundies seem to have some confusion in this area; they insist they revere the Jewish faith while telling actual Jewish people they have to accept Jesus as their Savior or they're not "saved". It was no accident that a certain child in the Duggar family was named "Israel", either. The fundies' beliefs claim Jesus will return to the Holy Land as well.

So let's see here. The Holy Goalie is formerly Catholic, became a fundie and yet another born-again virgin, married a virgin and now he's preaching against the evils of Catholicism? Would it be rude to suggest he find another hobby? My opinion, of course.

• Love 14

Really disappointed in the Catholic hate. I don't like that its rearing it's ugly head again, along with a lot of other kinds of hate. 

When my parents were relatively newly married they lived in SWVA/East TN and during a city parade the parents of the Catholic school kids had to march along side of them because of death threats - to children. In my own high school days, also in SWVA, I was told by a friend, a local preacher's son, that he had "sympathetic love" for me because I was going to hell when I died. Because I was Catholic. That was 35 years ago. Thought we'd moved on.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

I can't wait for one of the Duggar kids to name a child 1517.

But then ALL their kids would have to have a name beginning with 15.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, SnarkyShark said:

The Catholic Church is not very big into trying to force its teachings down other people's throats as of late. Thank God. However, this was not always true, with the Inquisition as one example. I think they started to realize that a) it is contradictory to its core teachings and b) it does not work.

Nobody expects the Jeremy Inquisition. 

2 hours ago, Clemgo3165 said:

Really disappointed in the Catholic hate. I don't like that its rearing it's ugly head again, along with a lot of other kinds of hate. 

When my parents were relatively newly married they lived in SWVA/East TN and during a city parade the parents of the Catholic school kids had to march along side of them because of death threats - to children. In my own high school days, also in SWVA, I was told by a friend, a local preacher's son, that he had "sympathetic love" for me because I was going to hell when I died. Because I was Catholic. That was 35 years ago. Thought we'd moved on.

Luckily, many have. The Duggar contingent are into retrograde motion, however. 

• Love 13