Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E19: Man Shouldn't Lie

I haven't laughed that hard at a comedic payoff on this show since the Las Vegas episode last year. Every time I think the show has lost a step, they prove they can still bring it.

The whole Gloria/Manny convo about "Mystery Kidz" (with a z!) was hilarious, too:

(paraphrased)

"I had to watch your favorite stupid show when you were a child."

"Masterpiece Theater?"

And the puppet host that was actually Alan Cumming.

Plus, Adam Arkin! So good to see him back as his likable self instead of the despicable character he played on "How to Get Away with Murder."

The show's still got it. And I'm still humming "Man Shouldn't Lie."

• Love 3

When Phil said he wanted a parrot (cockatoo?) to ride on his shoulder, Claire could have referred to his earlier scruffy appearance: "I don't want to be married to Bluebeard the pirate."  (OK, Blackbeard was the pirate and Bluebeard was the guy who killed his wives.)

Exactly what anniversary are ya celebrating there, Alex? I thought the last time they were together it was all about closure? Yeah, I'm with Haley--Sanjay grabbed the first thing he could as a gift. Sad, Alex.

Gee, Gloria and Jay lying to each other again because it's all about being right. Rinse, repeat.

Speaking of...Cam the drummer!

• Love 2

It is a meh episode except for the last part where "Men Shouldn't Lie" was sung. Then it is a LOL moment!

Literally!  I can't remember the last time I opened my mouth and guffawed at Modern Family.

Cam looked so horrified and still did such a good job with his improv.  What a pro!

• Love 8

So Phil is on some kind of 'staycation' and Claire is working but she won't have time to cook anything that night?  What year is this?  This, along with the 'making lunch for my adult kids' thing, makes me think the writers are drunk.

Loved Mr. Arkin.  He was the only good thing about this episode. 

• Love 2

This is nit-picky, but it bothers me:

A fossil of a dinosaur bone isn't a bone.  It's a fossil.  A rock.  A dog would have no interest in it or in burying it.

How much would an authentic dinosaur fossil of that size cost?  I would guess over $10,000.  I really don't know.

• Love 6

I loved how big the sign was for the band - considering they were playing for maybe 50 people.  Either get a bigger crowd or don't make it seem like they are playing for packed theater.

Yeah, I should probably stop watching this show.

Did I miss something? Wouldn't the Christian band guys realize that Cam and Mitch are gay? I know they were painted as naive small town hicks (because small town people don't have cable or the Internet, so they're not wise to the ways of the world, yo), but they are two adult men living together and have an obviously adopted child.

While Jay always makes me laugh (Ed O'Neill is great), his dynamic with Gloria is tiresome. She screeches at him, he kowtows to her but is actually lying, and ha ha she's lying too. What a marriage.

• Love 9

The Christian band twist was pretty funny, especially Cam's reaction during his drumming. The way he screamed that last line!

But I was a bit disappointed too, that Cam's point that not all Christians are gay bashers was shot down.

Did not care for the dog bit, but I did LOL at Phil with the crumbs in his beard.

• Love 4

Did I miss something? Wouldn't the Christian band guys realize that Cam and Mitch are gay? I know they were painted as naive small town hicks (because small town people don't have cable or the Internet, so they're not wise to the ways of the world, yo), but they are two adult men living together and have an obviously adopted child.

While Jay always makes me laugh (Ed O'Neill is great), his dynamic with Gloria is tiresome. She screeches at him, he kowtows to her but is actually lying, and ha ha she's lying too. What a marriage.

I love Ed O'Neill.  I always watch Dutch when it comes on and wonder why he didn't become a solid "everyman" movie star, like William Macy.  He's wasted with the perpetual storyline of appeasing the screeching wife with the irresistibly hot body she may threaten to withhold at any time.  Now he doesn't even have a closet business anymore!

I'd accept Jay and Adam Arkin as a non-sexual bro couple raising Manny--three guys with different styles--as another iteration of a modern family.  Bring Stella.

On your first point, you would die laughing/crying if you could see the extent to which some people around me will go to deny anyone is gay.  Does not exist; does not compute.

• Love 1

The reveal with the Christian band was funny, but I was disappointed that Mitchel was proven right about religious people all being homophobes. I do always like how Cam always appreciates his small town upbringing, even though he acknowledges it was frequently ridiculous, and really not for him, but then they go with the "small town Christians are all dumb anti gay types" stereotypes. Of course, this show has always gotten laughs out of every kind of stereotype, so I cannot say I am surprised.  

The Jay and Gloria plot was funnier, especially the end where Jay actually got into the chick flick. 

• Love 9

While funny, this episode was everywhere. I let the: "all Christians are anti-gay" roll, because I know they aren't. However, they played them very naive to not figure things out or the fact they think they are so awesome they have to have a sign that is bigger than the stage they play on. I don't get Alex and Sanjay's relationship anymore. First they break up because Sanjay met another girl and then realized that was stupid and they had "closure" now Alex is getting him an anniversary gift and an actual fossil dinosaur bone? Yeah, that makes no sense and if they would have depicted the dog was burying other things then I could buy it going after the bone, but really, it is a rock. I'm sorry, it doesn't have any scent on it except for cleaning solution. Hence a dog would think of it as a chew toy, especially because at that point, it would break its teeth on it. I did like that Manny got pay back, but Master Piece Theatre? Oh stop it writers, I will never buy that Manny was that "old fashion" he watched it. If he did in his pre-teen days, that I could buy. Yeah, Gloria and Jay lying and it backfiring, yeah, we haven't seen that since season 1. It stopped being funny in season 2. Especially after Jay's trick with Claire about retiring and leaving the company to a person who hadn't worked there in over 20 years to prove a point. Yeah, that didn't work either. 

While I could see Phil doing this "natural" thing, even this was a bit much for him, funny because the actor can knock it out of the park, but what next? Decides to play "Naked and Alone" in his  backyard to see if he can survive off of nature? While then getting arrested because of nudity. Just stop it. 

I know it is unkind to snark on children, but I can't stand little Joe. I don't think he's adorable or cute in anyway. If a child actor cannot enunciate clearly, do not give him lines until he can. Now, I'll just be over here, packing myself into a hand basket for my trip to Hell...

• Love 10

I know it is unkind to snark on children, but I can't stand little Joe. I don't think he's adorable or cute in anyway. If a child actor cannot enunciate clearly, do not give him lines until he can. Now, I'll just be over here, packing myself into a hand basket for my trip to Hell...

Scooch over and save me a seat. :-) 

• Love 3

Scooch over and save me a seat. :-) 

Same here, just like if the actor can't do a good job with the material you are giving them. The answer is not to keep giving them more hoping they will have a break through. The answer is: "Don't". When Joe bit the girl that Manny was into and then he locked him in the dog cage. I actually laughed. I also liked Manny's reasoning: "He wants to act like a dog, then I'll show him the dog life." Joe shaped up real fast there. While I was laughing at his situation with the tar a few weeks ago. At the same time, I just want to know how Gloria ever could raise anyone. She is capable, but she left Manny to basically raise himself and kept smiling and let his antics go on way too long. Now with Joe, she skips over the basic stuff and doesn't think about the trouble he can get into. Meanwhile, Jay saw it all, but doesn't get Manny's thinking since his kids, including Joe are acting like regular kids. Of course, I still can't get over how naive and oblivious Mitch is at times. I mean seriously?

• Love 1

I'll bring the snacks

Edited by Granny58
  • Love 5

Boooooo LA Kings! BOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it was at Staples, but I think the Ducks got more (background) screen time than the Kings did, which is fine by me.

I liked a lot about this episode. The Christian band thing was hilarious. I thought the twist would be that the main singer was gay himself, or that the band knew Dexter was gay. It turned out to be much funnier. And damn that song was really catchy.

The only thing I know Adam Arkin from is The West Wing. When I saw him as Jay's cool friend I went, "Josh Lyman's therapist!!!"

The mangy dog was cute but the misunderstanding(s) with Phil got old quick.

If a child actor cannot enunciate clearly, do not give him lines until he can.

Didn't stop them from casting Nolan Gould and keeping him on for 6+ seasons.

• Love 6
A fossil of a dinosaur bone isn't a bone.  It's a fossil.  A rock.  A dog would have no interest in it or in burying it.

How much would an authentic dinosaur fossil of that size cost?  I would guess over $10,000.  I really don't know.

The dinosaur bone is a fossil because it is preserved remains of a dinosaur.   It looks like something that can be purchased on ebay for around fifty dollars - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hell-Creek-Dinosaur-Fossil-Champsosaurus-Lower-leg-Bone-/252350246018

I never have difficulty understanding Joe.  I think both he and the way he speaks are adorable.  I can understand that some people don't like it though.   I hated the twins on Full House and could never make it through an episode (of course the show was craptastic anyway)... but plenty of people thought they were the cutest thing ever.

ETA:  I was unfamiliar with Adam Arkin, and thought it was George Clooney when he first appeared.  I'm not a big Clooney fan, but I thought he looked like him quite a bit.

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 1

Depends on the dog. We have had dogs bury books, clothes, rocks, a box of easter candy, etc.

• Love 2

As a germ freak, I was horrified when Claire brought home the "stray" dog and proceeded to let the dog go around the house and on the couch. Yeech. They didn't give the dog a bath and assumed the dog had no fleas or contagious diseases. I knew the dog was not really going to be a stray, but Claire did not know that.

• Love 1

Gee, Gloria and Jay lying to each other again because it's all about being right. Rinse, repeat.

I love those stories because that is completely the dynamic my husband and I have and we've been together 13 years. 

We'll probably never divorce because neither of us would want to admit that we were wrong (in wanting to marry the other person).

If a child actor cannot enunciate clearly, do not give him lines until he can.

I didn't find it difficult to understand Nolan when he was little, but it seems like his tongue has outgrown his mouth. What's amazing is neither he nor Rico has grown as an actor over the course of the show. A line delivery that's acceptable when you're nine just seems lazy when you're 17.

Edited by designing1
  • Love 4

My nitpick - Why would Gloria new PTA friend be talking about cursive (yeah, I know it is so they could do a cursive/cursing joke). Either Gloria knows her from the high school's PTA or from the pre-school's PTA (assuming they would have one).  Cursive is a 3rd grade thing.

I haven't had any trouble understanding Joe so far. Luke and Gloria on the other hand...........  There have been many times I had to rewind for them (mostly the one-liners), but still couldn't figure out what they said. 

• Love 3

Yeah I have no problem understanding Joe, but I do find his eyes a little weird, are they really hooded or something? Otherwise cute as a button.

Sometimes the Jay/Gloria dynamic bugs me, sometimes not, this episode I liked them. Might have been something to do with Adam Arkin whom I love. Not to be confused with Alan Arkin of In-Laws fame whom I also love.

Like others, hated that they went with the stereotype of gay-hating Christians, but loved the catchy tune the boys played. Singing it in my head right now...

Depends on the dog. We have had dogs bury books, clothes, rocks, a box of easter candy, etc.

Off-topic, but my new beagle-off-the-highway has taken and buried my cell phone, both tv remote controls, my appointment book, my lip goo and the salt shaker.

It's like he knows the most important stuff.

ETA:  Here's a REALLY good website to file away:

www.wheresmycellphone.com

Edited by candall
  • Love 6

Off-topic, but my new beagle-off-the-highway has taken and buried my cell phone, both tv remote controls, my appointment book, my lip goo and the salt shaker.

It's like he knows the most important stuff.

ETA:  Here's a REALLY good website to file away:

www.wheresmycellphone.com

omg that is interesting! He DOES know the good stuff. If he got in the freezer and buried the ice cream, I'd give him the side eye! :-)

• Love 2

I'm not a huge fan of Joe, because he's so generic. What I love about this show is you see in the kids exactly who their parents are. All the Dunphy kids are a mix of Phil and Claire. Lily has acted like both Mitch and Cam. Manny doesn't act much like Gloria, but it worked for comedic purposes.

Joe is just...there. He's not like Jay, he's not like Gloria. He's also not completely opposite from them, either. I feel like when Lily was that age, they were starting to imbue some of her parents' personality in her. Joe could be some random kid they found on the street. I haven't seen him have much of a personality other than "cute kid."

For a show that usually gets those details so right, I have to admit he does stand out in that sense. Nothing against the kid actor. It's just a writing fail, in my eyes.

• Love 2

As others have mentioned, I was disappointed Cam was proven wrong about not all Christians being anti-gay but the pay-off was funny so whatever. 

I'm not a huge fan of Joe, because he's so generic. What I love about this show is you see in the kids exactly who their parents are. All the Dunphy kids are a mix of Phil and Claire. Lily has acted like both Mitch and Cam. Manny doesn't act much like Gloria, but it worked for comedic purposes.

Joe is just...there. He's not like Jay, he's not like Gloria. He's also not completely opposite from them, either. I feel like when Lily was that age, they were starting to imbue some of her parents' personality in her. Joe could be some random kid they found on the street. I haven't seen him have much of a personality other than "cute kid."

Joe not wanting to watch his show with Manny because Manny asks too many questions was pretty Jay-like. Maybe they'll give him more of a personality as he gets older.

I didn't find it difficult to understand Nolan when he was little, but it seems like his tongue has outgrown his mouth. What's amazing is neither he nor Rico has grown as an actor over the course of the show. A line delivery that's acceptable when you're nine just seems lazy when you're 17.

Yeah same. I had an easier time understanding Nolan as a kid than I do now. He speaks like he has marbles in his mouth. And I agree about him and Rico not having grown much as actors since they were kids, I actually think they might be worse now because they seem more self-conscious about what they're doing and saying and it impedes their acting. Plus they don't have being cute kids to fall back on anymore. On the other hand, Ariel Winter seems to be doing just fine. Makes me wonder if any of the "kids" are going to be interested in acting beyond the show. 

• Love 2

The thing that bugs me about Joe is his haircut, which I blame on the wardrobe/hair/make-up people.  It looks to me like it is the same scraggly haircut all small boys have had on tv since Eight is Enough.   I don't think I have ever seen a young boy with that haircut in real life.  

• Love 6

I recently turned 43 years old.

That's how long it took me to realize Alan Arkin and Adam Arkin are related.

Pretty good episode.

I think the Christian group likely did know the two of them were guy. I think they could just separate the message of their song from the personal way you treat people, even if you disagree with what they are doing.

• Love 3

The song with the band was hilarious and I cracked up even before that with Cam's red spiky hair and Goth lipstick.

The look on Cam's face when the lyrics started and then Mitchell slowly slinking off the stage. Full marks to Cam for trying to sell his off the cuff alternate lyrics.

• Love 6

While funny, this episode was everywhere. I let the: "all Christians are anti-gay" roll, because I know they aren't. However, they played them very naive to not figure things out or the fact they think they are so awesome they have to have a sign that is bigger than the stage they play on. I don't get Alex and Sanjay's relationship anymore. First they break up because Sanjay met another girl and then realized that was stupid and they had "closure" now Alex is getting him an anniversary gift and an actual fossil dinosaur bone? Yeah, that makes no sense and if they would have depicted the dog was burying other things then I could buy it going after the bone, but really, it is a rock. I'm sorry, it doesn't have any scent on it except for cleaning solution. Hence a dog would think of it as a chew toy, especially because at that point, it would break its teeth on it.

I was so amused and impressed with the Cam drumming/singing/freaking out that I totally spaced on the dinosaur bone implausibility.
  • Love 1