Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E22: The Bureau

• Start Topic

With Pimento’s life still in peril, Captain Holt calls on an old friend in the FBI to help with a seemingly impossible heist. Meanwhile Amy makes a breakthrough while undercover, and Terry and Gina discover an information leak in the Nine-Nine.

Best training montage ever.

Holt talking about Sex and the City was hilarious.

Stephanie Beatriz.......damn.

I knew something was up Dennis Haysbert's character  when he suggested the heist.

True.  I was still a fan of Bob for the rest of the fun of the episode.  The Sex and the City episode was a highlight for me.

Good for Charles becoming a dad.

Also, good for Gina for being competent.

• Love 1

I actually gasped a little at the Bob reveal---despite being a lifelong mystery addict, I somehow never see these twists coming :) 

Also, good for Gina for being competent.

So the thing about that for me is that she DOES give the impression that she very proudly refuses to take her job (or much of anything) seriously, and since they knew the leak came from somewhere in the department, I didn't think it was outrageous for Terry to consider the idea that she had been the source of it. I don't know, I just feel like the "see, Gina's actually the most awesome one of all!" thing has been pounded home too often for me. I wish that storyline had been used to help her realize that she comes off like an obnoxious jerk sometimes and therefore she can't blame people for not automatically assuming the very best about her.

I miss Charles/Jake together more than I miss Jake/Amy :)  And I wish the Charles-as-possible-father thing had been a recurring thing throughout the season so that last night's news would have had more impact. I actually kind of forgot he was even dating someone, but that's more the fault of my sieve-like memory, not the show! 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 7

Oh Bob.

Fantastic ep. Haysbert and Braugher together is a match made in heaven. (Sorry Kevin.) Right away I suspected Bob might be dirty just as I suspected Terry was inadvertently responsible for the leak. I don't mind. Getting there was most of the fun.

The training montage was hysterical. Rosa's (SB's) limberness is impressive. Loved when we see her tucked into the shelf when Scully removes a box. Jake trying to do a pull-up was great. Loved when Holt asked him if he could do it without screaming. "Proh... bah... blee!" And then he had to stuff something in his mouth to keep from screaming. And Gina teaching Holt about Sex and the City was great. 

The stuff with Jake's pocket lint was great, esp because Holt and Bob took it seriously.

Holt's conversation with the Paul Blart guard was so funny. I think I've seen two eps of that show, so I didn't get all the references. No matter. Just perfect.

I'm enjoying the prison scenes, too. Loved Amy calling for the guard when Charles wouldn't stop talking about his and Genevieve's sex life. Aida Turturro is so good in this. 

The whole back and forth betw Holt and Bob over "Let's break into the FBI," was priceless. I don't think I'd have gotten tired of it if it lasted for the entire ep.

Charles: The doctor said my sterility is so aggressive it may have spread to her.

Holt: We have to build a case first. 4:13 pm. Our subject finishes his coffee. Or tea. Mark the beverage as… unknown.

Jake: We're just sitting here watching him eat a peach.
Holt: That's a nectarine.
Bob: It's either a nectarine or a peach. Just write… Unknown stone fruit.

Jake: I'm only human. You can't always expect me to be the coolest guy ever.
Bob: Coolest guy ever? Try telling that to Alan Greenspan.
Holt: Nice burn, Bob.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 7

What I would give for a web series or something of Holt and Bob back into the days.  Andre Braugher and Dennis Haysbert in 80s outfits, solving crimes, and competing to see who can be the most deadpan, would be the greatest thing ever!  That was a fun casting choice, but I had a feeling he was going to end up turning bad.  I noticed the file thing and it did seem strange that he suddenly was down with Jake's crazy break into the FBI idea.  As soon as Jake and Rosa left them to celebrate, I knew he was going to be dirty.

Loved the montage of Rosa doing all those crazy yoga moves (look like Stephanie Beatriz did a lot of them herself), while Jake was struggling to do just one pull-up. Also loved both of their reactions, anytime Holt or Bob were being their normal Holt and Bob selves.

I could care less about Sex and City, but I would probably listen to auto-recordings of episodes, if Holt recapped them.  And I like that Holt was apparently a fan of whatever character Blair Underwood played on that show.

I guess Amy and Boyle's stint in prison is done now.  Probably don't want to drag that out for too long, because it was fun, especially since Amy/Boyle aren't use as much as the rest, so it was nice to see that pairing for a decent amount of screen time.

I knew Terry was going to accidentally be the mole, so I was kind of bored with his stuff and Gina's.

• Love 1

Hey, it's the Allstate guy! What perfect casting as a counterpart for Holt.

I feel like I should have caught it because I couldn't figure out what was going on when Bob intercepted the package and said he just needed to put his return address on it. If he had the clearance to be on that floor why couldn't he have retrieved the file himself (I wondered)? Now it makes sense.

Oh my - this was the season finale wasn't it? Damn.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 2

I love that the show knows its strengths. It's not the big reveal/twist, so it un-apologetically left blatant clues to the Bob reveal, and didn't try to over-twist us. It's strengths are in the little bits of comedy that surround all those moments. Bob playing off Holt, the lint discussion, Holt's Sex and the City quips, the candy bars. Those were all excellent bits of comedy underlying the advancing plot.

I also loved how Terry and Gina, despite having their own plot, were involved in the A plot as well.

The show is definitely finishing with a strong kick.

• Love 4

The Allstate guy?! Show some respect. That's President Palmer you're talking about. Seriously though it was perfect casting as is almost always the case with this show. The two best cast cop shows on TV today IMHO are B99 and Blue Bloods. Great casting is probably the only thing those two series have in common.

• Love 3

Oh Bob. President Palmer, I expect more of you!

A hilarious episode, with a bit of a "shit just got real" kind of ending. I like the Charles and Amy prison stuff going on in the background. I love the idea of Charles as a dad, especially with an adoption angle. Plus, we will hopefully get to see more of Genevieve.

I used to watch Sex and the City (the re runs on TBS were my middle school/high school guilty pleasure), so all the references cracked me up, although by the end of that show, it was kind of a mess (and the movies were terrible, both for different reasons), but this episode actually gave me some nostalgia.

• Love 1

So last week I said the show wasn't doing it for me anymore, and then they go and bust out Dennis Haysbert. This was a very funny episode, because it finally featured plenty of Holt and Bob. Their deadpanning back and forth was great.

Also I loved the use of the 24-style split screen boxes with Haysbert guest starring. Great touch.

Edited by TheRabbi
  • Love 3

Another stellar episode!  I agree that Dennis Haysbert was the perfect counterpart to Captain Holt. I'd love to see more of them embracing their wild side.  Of course, with the exception of eating chocolate and nuts together.  Because that's overkill.

And a nod to the "hot surfer dude" from TMZ??! This show, like, gets me. 

QuoteOh my - this was the season finale wasn't it? Damn

Not until next week--whew!

Edited by Duke2801
  • Love 4

I am EXTREMELY impressed with Holt's mastery of Sex and the City in such a short amount of time. I liked how he piqued the guard's outrage by saying Carrie should have ended up with Aleksandr Petrovsky. LOL, he was such a dick. Memories.

• Love 7

I am EXTREMELY impressed with Holt's mastery of Sex and the City in such a short amount of time. I liked how he piqued the guard's outrage by saying Carrie should have ended up with Aleksandr Petrovsky. LOL, he was such a dick. Memories.

HE SLAPPED HER!

• Love 2

Loved the episode for all the reasons mentioned. I still remember Haysbert as being on Major League as Pedro Cerrano (with Jobu!). It's fun that B99 now has two famous insurance commercial spokespeople (Haysbert and the mayhem guy as the Vulture- just please no Progressive Flo).

Unknown beverage. Unknown stone fruit. Cracks me up.

• Love 2

It's fun that B99 now has two famous insurance commercial spokespeople (Haysbert and the mayhem guy as the Vulture- just please no Progressive Flo)

If they are going to get famous insurance commercial folks, I vote for the next one to be J.K. Simmons, he of Farmers Insurance ads (when he isn't too busy doing awesome things like yelling at Peter Parker or throwing chairs at Miles Teller.  He even won an Oscar for that last one!)

• Love 6

JK Simmons would be awesome! He's very funny also. And I think 'Progressive Flo' would be fine, too. She was good in Mad Men. And it's not that I'm campaigning for her to be on the show; I just don't think she would be bad. 

• Love 1

I could see Progressive Flo taking a turn as Gina's cousin or something. Just in case they wanted a trifecta of insurance pitchmen ;)

Peralta's "(GASP) There's two of them!" cracked me up so much. It's like he was reading my brain.

• Love 2

Oh Bob.

Fantastic ep. Haysbert and Braugher together is a match made in heaven. (Sorry Kevin.) Right away I suspected Bob might be dirty just as I suspected Terry was inadvertently responsible for the leak. I don't mind. Getting there was most of the fun.

The training montage was hysterical. Rosa's (SB's) limberness is impressive. Loved when we see her tucked into the shelf when Scully removes a box. Jake trying to do a pull-up was great. Loved when Holt asked him if he could do it without screaming. "Proh... bah... blee!" And then he had to stuff something in his mouth to keep from screaming. And Gina teaching Holt about Sex and the City was great. 

The stuff with Jake's pocket lint was great, esp because Holt and Bob took it seriously.

Holt's conversation with the Paul Blart guard was so funny. I think I've seen two eps of that show, so I didn't get all the references. No matter. Just perfect.

I'm enjoying the prison scenes, too. Loved Amy calling for the guard when Charles wouldn't stop talking about his and Genevieve's sex life. Aida Turturro is so good in this. 

The whole back and forth betw Holt and Bob over "Let's break into the FBI," was priceless. I don't think I'd have gotten tired of it if it lasted for the entire ep.

Charles: The doctor said my sterility is so aggressive it may have spread to her.

Holt: We have to build a case first. 4:13 pm. Our subject finishes his coffee. Or tea. Mark the beverage as… unknown.

Jake: We're just sitting here watching him eat a peach.

Holt: That's a nectarine.

Bob: It's either a nectarine or a peach. Just write… Unknown stone fruit.

Jake: I'm only human. You can't always expect me to be the coolest guy ever.

Bob: Coolest guy ever? Try telling that to Alan Greenspan.

Holt: Nice burn, Bob.

"Nice burn Bob!" made me laugh so hard that I cried.  It cannot be said enough how fantastic Andre Braugher is.

• Love 1

The bit that cracks me up, even just remembering it, is Terry's "Oh dang!" on two occasions. Somehow there's just one subtle way to inflect and time it so that it's inherently funny, and Terry Crews nails it, both times.

• Love 5

Hey, it's the Allstate guy!

The Allstate guy?! Show some respect. That's President Palmer you're talking about.

I think you both mean Pedro Cerrano. ;)

Now I want to see Bob produce Jobu and threaten Holt with it. :)

Who knew B99 would produce the best pentultimate cliffhanger of the season?

• Love 2

The Allstate guy?! Show some respect. That's President Palmer you're talking about.

I've never seen 24 (and had to look him up to see what show you all were talking about). He's the Allstate guy to me.

I'm confused about who Charles is having a baby with. Who is Genevieve? I don't remember him getting married or anything.

iMonrey, on 14 Apr 2016 - 2:45 PM, said:iMonrey, on 14 Apr 2016 - 2:45 PM, said:

I've never seen 24 (and had to look him up to see what show you all were talking about). He's the Allstate guy to me.

I'm confused about who Charles is having a baby with. Who is Genevieve? I don't remember him getting married or anything.

She's his maid. J/K.  She's his girlfriend. There was a whole episode dedicated to how they met.  

Edited by Duke2801

I guess I know too many people who have adopted, because that storyline was probably the most unrealistic thing this show has ever done. So in the time that Charles has been in Texas, they managed to start and finish the adoption process in a matter of weeks, despite being unmarried (not unheard of, but certainly not as hot of a candidate for adoption as an established couple) and Charles being gone for any home studies or interviews? 

• Love 6

Yeah it wasn't the most nuanced B storyline the show has ever done, but it was simply used as a mechanism to end the undercover storyline. I hope if they do end up adopting that it comes up in a slightly more believable (for this show) way.

Nor does it seem likely that the sister would break down at "real-ly" Amy's "just tell me everything (including your boyfriends' names and job titles". And shouldn't the FBI already be involved if the NYPC is conducting an investigation across state lines, in a federal prison, involving a mobster? Especially if Bob Anderson already tagged files with that name for his investigation. Or maybe it will be revealed that he knew long before Holt called him and was manipulating the situation.

But I enjoyed the episode a lot despite that. I knoew Terry would be the leak and I wasn't a fan of "Gina is secret the most genius, awesome person at the 99 but she prefers to be a mean, stupid bitch persona". But Terry Crews' performance made up for that entirely. I knew it was going to be him but it was fun getting there.

Charles' line reading of "my best friend Jacob Peralberg" cracked me up with just his tone, and the Peralta/Samberg was a fun nod. I did miss Jake/Charles and Jake/Amy both pairings I enjoy, but Charles/Amy is a rare pairing on the show and it worked great as is usual when this cast mixes it up.

I did actually smile when Sully/Hitchcock were so happy they made Terry so confused that he went away.

Bob/Holt. What can I say. I pegged him as a bad guy because that's what you do when a TV show casts the most famous name in an episode (something B99 has 99% gone along with) but it was great watching them get there. Loved Rosa's yoga and Jake's pull ups. Although I think someone that could legit do 1000 push ups without needing medical attention could have developed the strength to do like 10 pull ups.

• Love 1

"Oh, Bob." Omg, Andre Braugher's delivery on that line was absolutely perfect!!!! I'm still laughing.

I also really liked him telling Jake (and Rosa?) to "behave" when they first met Bob.

"Oh, Captain, how dare you try to sneak math into this!"

Edited by DeepPoet117
  • Love 2

Charles' line reading of "my best friend Jacob Peralberg" cracked me up with just his tone, and the Peralta/Samberg was a fun nod.

Ohhhh..... I totally didn't understand the name he was saying, so I missed this. I thought he just made up a random friend to flesh out his backstory. Now all of the "I tell my best friend 'Yacob' everything" stuff makes so much more sense.

On 13 April 2016 at 5:29 PM, iMonrey said:

I feel like I should have caught it because I couldn't figure out what was going on when Bob intercepted the package and said he just needed to put his return address on it. If he had the clearance to be on that floor why couldn't he have retrieved the file himself (I wondered)? Now it makes sense.

Bob had clearance to be on that floor but he said he couldn't simply request the file because that would have tipped off the bad guy.

And I like that Holt was apparently a fan of whatever character Blair Underwood played on that show.

I don't think it was the character as much as Underwood himself.  I finally was able to watch this episode last night, and I think the line was: "So Miranda could have been with Blair Underwood but she chose Steve?"  Totally cracked me up.  I'm right there with you, Captain Holt!

On 4/13/2016 at 10:23 PM, thuganomics85 said:

If they are going to get famous insurance commercial folks, I vote for the next one to be J.K. Simmons, he of Farmers Insurance ads (when he isn't too busy doing awesome things like yelling at Peter Parker or throwing chairs at Miles Teller.  He even won an Oscar for that last one!)

Bumping this up because I'm binge-watching B99 and took a break to read the past posts on the show and when I got to this one, I had to laugh since, of course, J.K. Simmons DID guest-star on the show later in season 07, ep 9, "Dillman."

• Love 4