Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E18: Ragnarok

(edited)

So they killed Scully?

Congratulations, Fox. In S1, you had another X-files. Now you have another HIMYM.

It boggles my mind that the showrunners and the network never seemed to understand the power and the rarity of the chemistry that exists between N.Beharie and T.Mison, and spent two thirds of their run letting it rot. It's as if they were given a diamond and were trying to change it into a piece of coal.

I checked out after a couple of episodes in this season, I don't exactly remember when. I expected they had learned their lesson and would center the show around Ichabod and Abbie together and quickly it appeared to me that they didn't, diluting the focus of the show more and more and needlessly introducing  new love interests and new characters. Since for me, the weak point of the show was always the plotting/writing (nothing ever truly made sense, tbh) I found myself with no reason to watch.

I just checked the recaps in case I had a reason to come back, so I'm not mad because I wasn't emotionally invested anymore. But what a slap in the face, what a fuck you to the fans who supported the show and faithfully watched it all along; since there is no way in hell or elsewhere that TPTB didn't know why many of them watched, the partnership between Ichabod and Abbie.

I'm sorry for the cast and crew who are stuck with SH if it gets another season or afraid to lose their jobs if it's cancelled. But in any case, I hope that the writers, showrunners and executives who changed this little gem of a show into a fuming turd will spend a long, long time in TV purgatory.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 20

I stopped watching last season, but I'm still sad and oddly hurt - I know it's just fiction, but it seems so unfair. It seems unfair that they had this incredible potential in Abbie, in Nicole Beharie, and they never did anything with it. Reading a few things (like her talking about not being asked to participate in DVD commentary last season, like their Twitter not even following her until she sent a tweet to them last month) makes me wonder if they were always ashamed of the character or their success being in large part because of Abbie, rather than just Ichabod and his fish out of water story and the love of the ages with Katrina's sexy corset-wearing self. 

I remember the shock at the ratings the show got in the first season, and the buzz surrounding the show - it felt fresh for the genre, and a lot of people responded to the show in a way they hadn't to something in a long time. 

And the various showrunners responded by taking apart seemingly anything they loved or enjoyed, choking the life out a show that could have run for many years.

I'll never understand it.

Or maybe the problem is that I do. 

Best of luck to Nicole. She deserves it.

• Love 23

- My theory is that they will try to capture lightning in the bottle again and maybe attempt to cast someone new.  Since the show's most rabid fanbase at the end seemed to be WOC and the show was being hailed for its diversity, i would imagine they are going to try to cast another black actress.

Don't be silly.  Black men are sexy; black women are scary!  They'll probably cast a Woman of Light Color (odds on someone of Indian descent) and scream "look how diverse we are!"

Orlando Jones @TheOrlandoJones

"The white male lead should totally sacrifice his life to protect the *dark skinned* black girl" said no development executive EVER.

And here's Olando to agree with me!

You know the worst part? No more hanging out with you guys. Now I'm just sick.

I know!!!

Are you sure? It's pretty much dead on....

Who are you and what have you done with Halcyon Days? These posts sound like the were written by a FOX hack, not someone whose posts I've looked forward to for almost three years. 

• Love 12
(edited)

Woooooooooooooooow. This is the worst show ending since... the last one.

Congratulations on ruining everything, writers. I can believe I was actually enjoying this season.

Folks, I've never been this mad about a tv show screwing things up before. I never do this, but this show is dead to me. I don't care if it comes back, this was the series finale for me.

I admit I'm in constant state of anger over this season of The 100, but yeah, this was disgusting on so many levels.

ETA: And BTW, have you noticed how Abbie clearly DIDN't love Crane romantically in any way? Because this show was quick to remind you every five seconds.

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 8

Even if they get a S4, they'll be lucky if they get half of their viewers to come back.

And I will be so pissed if they actually promote it now... with the "new lead". Won't that be telling.

I seriously doubt this was NB - she's a massive introvert - no way she's being a diva onset. If she had been, we might not have gotten that mess of a S2. And thirdly - tonight is NOT the NIGHT for rumors attacking Nicole Beharie and besmirching her name. People are seriously hurting over this and there is NO proof of anything just rumors, when what we have stated from the show is that NB wanted to leave. TM and NB are very good friends, and NB doesn't have a history of being that way, so just no.

Especially given how FUCKED up this show has treated NB for most of its run, it's not Nicole who has been "difficult". Even throughout S2 when Katia Winter and Goffman were AFTER HER job and she could have easily outed that BS, she didn't. Thus it's highly unlikely that she was a diva on set. The DIVA onset in S2 was Katia, who couldn't keep her bitterness out of her mouth in interviews, where she either attacked Abbie fans or Ichabbie fans - and in some cases going after the fanbase on twitter in mean spirited posts.

**Slow clap** Well, it didn't take long for someone to try to start a rumor attacking the one cast member who was so demonstrably mistreated fans launched a twitter campaign to complain. As a fellow introvert, I suspect she was touched, but also embarrassed by the attention.  Ugh. Nothing will make me angrier than if there's any attempt to start a "Beharie is a diva" whisper campaign.  The only good news from the night is that Nicole Beharie is free to go on to better things. 

• Love 17
(edited)

If Nicole Beharie really did want to jump this ship, I'm glad for her, but I can't help but wonder if she would have wanted to stay in a well-written show. Because this just wasn't, not for a long time. Because no, what Abbie Mills did on this show was not establish the show's mythology, Mr. Campbell. The show's mythology has been incoherent and boring since the end of Season 1, and I don't believe anyone watching honestly thinks the point of Katrina or Betsy was anything other than getting a pair of breasts in the center of the screen so a series of bad writers could have a pairing they knew how to write for. What Abbie and her relationship with Crane brought to the table was a reason to watch despite the lame writing and pointless characters swirling around them.

What a disappointment.

Why in the flaming hell did they call the episode "Ragnorak"?!?!

The episode had nothing to do with the mythology they were referencing with that title.

Fuckers.

Sure it is. It's the incident where the old gods burned down the world.

Orlando Jones @TheOrlandoJones "The white male lead should totally sacrifice his life to protect the *dark skinned* black girl" said no development executive EVER.

Yeah, and about that. I seem to recall new guy in the writer's room mansplaining mightily that over his dead body would a character of color be treated disrespectfully on his watch. I trust his wife and family will move forward in peace now that his life's purpose in advancing their story is done.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 12
(edited)

Honestly, I would have wanted out of a show I was supposed to be a lead on after dealing with the crap fest that was S2 of Sleepy Hollow where it was clear there were some messed up shenanigans going on in the writing room where Abbie was second fiddle to another supporting character. (And at least she made the decision to leave rather than be booted off like another actress who got a raw deal this past week.) Heck she had to ask the damn show to follow her on Twitter. They didn't even ask her to do DVD commentary! Something in the milk wasn't clean.

I was sad to see Mills die but at the same time the way they did it was absolutely dreadful.  To recap off her run on the show she:

Got stuck in another dimension with Moloch. 

Got stuck in another world entirely for who knows how long.

Had to give up her life essence to stop a God.

While the white male lead chills out.  I can't help but thing this season probably solidified for her that her exiting was right move.  

Also the whole, Abbie is the woman Crane loves thing occurring far too late for anything to be done about it with her "essence" being sent to another person that shares her "bloodline" so either Crane can get out of ever having to love anyone again besides Katrina (the worst witch ever) and dead Abbie who he will "never" get over or fall in love with this new person because HE MUST NEVER BE WITH ABBIE MILLS is just disgusting. Hell, they couldn't even let her "essence" go into her own sister because no doubt who they replace her with (if the show continues which I doubt it will or even be successful) will probably be ... you know what, I'm not going there tonight.

I had already checked out of this show a long time ago after S2 and this solidifies it.  I hope she joins the Shondaland family where she'll be respected as the awesome actress that she is.

Edited by FiveByFive
  • Love 9

I had already checked out of this show a long time ago after S2 and this solidifies it.  I hope she joins the Shondaland family where she'll be respected as the awesome actress that she is.

Can she join Lee Daniels instead? His women get to do better stuff.

• Love 1
(edited)

Now that Horseman of Death is out there somewhere, I wish I could send him after the SH's showrunners. Although calling them "showrunners" would be an insult to all the good showrunners out there, the ones who don't destroy their own shows. Showruiners might be more accurate.

And you know why? I wasn't moved. I was laughing at their own stupidity. Was it a bitter laugh? Certainly, but laughter anyway because the idea that this show might have a chance without Abbie is too ridiculous for words. I might come back out of morbid curiosity (and because I love Ichabod) but I know I'll be in the minority and rightly so, this show doesn't deserve otherwise. TPTB have killed their own show and they're still patting themselves on the back like champs. They're completely delusional.

Edited by Helena Dax
  • Love 3
(edited)

I'd say I wish she could appear on Walking Dead but that show already has a lot of good female characters and she'd probably get ripped on Twitter for looking at Daryl the wrong way or something.

I'd say I wish she could have some scenes with Jensen Ackles on Supernatural, as I think they'd have a good vibe, but...then I remember how women get treated there too.

Sigh.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 3

This is such a disappointment!!....This show is a dead show walking!!

I honestly tried to hang in there this season, but the uneven writing was so bad it was the chemistry of the two leads that kept me watching....and now that's gone and so am I.

Goodbye to a once really good, fun show!!

• Love 3

Out of the ashes of this bullshit, our Trollando is reborn!

‏@TheOrlandoJones
NEGL was legit worried that they might kill off La'Porsha Renae on @AmericanIdol because...reasons!!

‏@TheOrlandoJones

"The white male lead should totally sacrifice his life to protect the *dark skinned* black girl" said no development executive EVER.

‏@TheOrlandoJones

If anything happens to Iris West I'm fiddinta burn this mutha fucka down

• Love 21
(edited)

So much clueless arrogance from the writers/runners. And such insincerity.

Agree with so much that’s been said above. If NB wanted out, okay, let her go with good grace, but to end it like that?

And there was so much filler and wasted space this season with minor characters and story lines and padding. If they knew she was going, why not make it a fantastic, rich show that told a great satisfying story? Instead we got a manipulative mess.

Did NB and TM not get on anymore? I’m struggling. I don’t understand why they’d do that. I bet the UK audiences drop significantly from here on in. They’re a couple of weeks behind I think.

The writers must have such a belief in their story-telling abilities. I think they’re mistaken.  If we’d lost Abbie but had a good story to go on with, I may have stuck around, but this hot mess? Nooo.

Lol. I’m tempted to put Assholes in everyone of my posts at the moment because that’s all I can think about them. Manipulative, arrogant, vindictive assholes.

Oh, what the hell. Assholes.

Edited by Three
  • Love 7
(edited)

This is so perfect

Here's another:

youtube.com/watch?v=JWiUMW… "What we do here is save 1 white person at a time; making them shine" #TheApproachableNegro

Edited by topanga
  • Love 11
(edited)

Wait, what?

The actor is great, and his character is great, but the emotional center of the show wasn't him. It was himandher, herandhim, regardless of whether there was ever a romantic connection. Without both of them, there's nothing left but plot writing... and the plot writing isn't that good.

It's a shame that the powers that be were so bothered by that.

Obviously I was wrong to give this show the benefit of the doubt after the fiasco that was season 2. But I'm duly impressed that they were able to double down on the badness.

At least pushing the delete series button on my DVR will be satisfying.

Edited by Panopticon
  • Love 15
(edited)

Okay I slept on this, still pissed but if Nicole really wanted out and it's not some spin by the writers then I wish the show well for Tom and Lyndie's sake since it's a source of income.

That being said, I still can't watch it without Abbie so I won't be back if it gets renewed. Have absolutely no interest in Ichabod with it Abbie...zippo zilch

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Love 2
(edited)

Boob Whisperer always had on a sundress. Everyone else would be bundled up and she'd be walking around in a sundress and maybe boots.

Don't forget the dramatic eye makeup and false lashes. LOL But I DID like the show, it made me cry a lot.

Edited by taurusrose
  • Love 2

The only good things about the episode:

1. August Corbin.  I was hoping during the conversation with Abbie that Joe would show up.  Hell, I'm getting teary just remembering it.  Clancy Brown is a god among actors, that he can steal an entire episode (hell, an entire SEASON) with a few minutes of exposition and a hug.

2. Headless (and Snowy!) came back!  Of course, that didn't last.  It did, however, make me seriously wonder if this was the last episode ever, which might actually have made me a tiny bit happier.

Otherwise, such a crock of shit.

I can't believe they're going to try the "Doctor Who" pseudo-regeneration-with-a-new-actor thing.  So we have a show with no Abbie and less Crane?  What is the fucking point?  Granted, I enjoy seeing what batshit-looney thing they've come up with to retcon American history, but that's not enough to sit through the rest of the dreck.

I wish only the best to all the actors, and look forward to seeing them again in other things.  The showrunners, not so much.

I'm also very much looking forward to the fanfic that will be written over the next few days to end this show the RIGHT WAY.  I suspect, whether one is a shipper or not, there'll be plenty to choose from.  And it will all be better than this was.

• Love 8
(edited)

What the FUCKING FUCK?!

I am a spoilerphobe so when Abbie got sucked into the box and then disappeared, I thought welp, time for Ichabod to figure out where she went AGAIN. I truly did not believe that they would kill Abbie and have Crane go on without her. I am gobsmacked (a word I never thought I would actually use). So basically everything that happened this season (adding Danny, all the stupid flashbacks with Betsy, etc.) were for nothing in the end. I just can't with this.

From a logical point of view (because I waited a while to process my reaction to this episode before posting, mostly because I couldn't form coherent sentences after the episode ended), the new mythology rules about the witnesses make no sense.

(1) There must always be two witnesses. Really? So who were the witnesses before Abbie and Ichabod? Did they two before die together? Is this like a neverending cop show where you have to keep getting new partners until you die?

(2) A witness's soul is eternal and when a witness dies, their soul goes into another person from their bloodline. How exactly does this work? If Abbie's soul goes into Jane Doe's soul, where does Jane Doe's original soul go? Does it get dumped out completely? Do they merge to become a combination of the two people? Is it manifested like multiple personality syndrome where they take turns being the one driving the body?

If Abbie's father has all of this important information, why hasn't he told Crane and Jenny all of it? It takes a while to get a headstone made (Abbie) and to have someone cremated (Joe) so in the time between Abbie's death and Crane's visit to her grave at the end, Papa Mills still hadn't filled him in on everything, which is fucking bull shit.

Poor Jenny. She lost Joe and Abbie in the space of, what? Two days?

There will be a time, I imagine, in the mythology of Witnesses, when Tom will do the same for a Witness that he’s partnered with.

So next season is going to be like Colors?

When Abbie told Crane, "Be brave," I was expecting her to follow that up with, "Live. For me."

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 14
(edited)

As far as I remember, it was the lead actress in Blindspot or whatever the show with the tattooed woman is called.

The bonkers leading lady blind item was never revealed. It also couldn't be Jamie Alexander (Blindspot) sine the Blind Item was released in April 2015 and Blindspot started in September of 2015. Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

What the fuck was that? Worst ending ever. Ever ever ever.

What the hell they have in their heads to public something like that?! I mean - aren't they ashamed to public shit like that? I can't believe no one had questioned that. Feel sorry for the cast crew - they had to participate in that shit.

If Nicole really wanted to go I can live with that, it's her choice to make. But I can't live with such a bad ending. I loved the show but it screwed me over.

• Love 4
(edited)

There must always be two witnesses. Really? So who were the witnesses before Abbie and Ichabod? Did they two before die together? Is this like a neverending cop show where you have to keep getting new partners until you die?

You know, that's a real interesting question, because Ichabod was undead and still in possession of his soul for 250 years, so either the previous Abbie witness was  floating around the void waiting to start the clock on the current body for over two centuries or there have been quite a few generations of one witness.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4

I woke up depressed this morning and for a moment didn't know why.  Then I remembered.  Yeah, I know it's just a show, and I know that no one really died, but I still feel heartsick.  If the writers knew Nicole was leaving for awhile, why couldn't they at least have given her a beautiful send-off, instead of screwing around with the whole Danny thing and then having her disappear (yet again) into some other dimension?  Crane and Abbie could have become closer over the weeks and then she tragically dies in his loving embrace.  I would still regret what could have been, but at least it would have had some emotional heft and closure.  Abbie has turned into whirling special effects and vanished too many times in this show for me to have the appropriate emotional response to it.

I suspect Sophie might be the one who inherits Abbie's soul, but as someone said above, what then happens to Sophie's soul?  I like Sophie.  But I don't want her to be a substitute Abbie.

I really hate this. 

• Love 7

Nope, nope, nope, not okay!

And the implication that Abbie's job was to be Ichabod's guide rather than her own person . . . I can't even.

**plans to spend the weekend reading every social media post about magical negroes and black women constantly having to self-sacrifice**

FML (and Fox, too)

I know! And it also put her in the same category as Betsy Ross - fuck that. With all due respect to Mison, this was Nichole's story from the get-go. HE was the guide. And while the Revolutionary X-Files team gone astray could be an interesting storyline, not without Abbie. Nope. Not gonna watch it.

I couldn't believe what I was seeing every step of the way (missed some of it because my DVR crapped for the part when Pandora's box exploded and came back in the last minute of Abbie and Ichabod in the cell). I've never even been a die-hard fan, but I was pissed beyond belief, I was in denial for most of it, figuring they'd find a way to bring her back.

Daughter pointed out that I have "Outlander" to look forward to tomorrow. She said "One of your shows has died, and Outlander will rise from the ashes."

Nice call back to the Corbin scene.

I'm not a WOC, and I wasn't a shipper (though I was finally convinced there was enough heat to get past my knee-jerk anti-shipping on shows I like). But for me it has always been Abbie and Ichabod at the heart of the show, with Abbie as the lead.

I hope Beharie gets something good, and soon. She was ill served by this show. She deserves something better.

• Love 6
(edited)

Thank you fuck head writers of Sleepy Hollow and asshats of Fox. You have helped me decide to stop watching live tv. It's Netflix and binge watching from now on. Three weekends wasted will be a hell of a lot better than three years.

Edited by Sasha
  • Love 4

I feel like I just got my divorce papers from a sad three year marriage.

The first year was so giddy and happy and wonderful.

But he cheated on me the second year, barely noticed I was alive. 

We tried to reconcile in the third year, we really worked at it, we had some great moments, things were starting to look up.  But then nothing seemed to feel right.  We just couldn't recapture the magic no matter how hard we tried.

And then he betrayed me one last time.  One time too many.  So that's it.  it is over.

I need to watch a finale that ends on a hopeful, happy note.  Maybe I'll go re-watch the Eureka finale.

• Love 19

I'm going to fanwank that Ichabod's deep bow to Abbie was Tom saying goodbye to Nicole. 

(Thanks for the off the charts chemistry you guys. It was a beautiful thing.)

I don't like to wish mean things, but I hope that the show runners responsible for pissing away Sleepy Hollow's potential are never in charge of anything ever again. 

• Love 14

Surprised that no one has mentioned the Star Trek episode that was referenced - 'The City on the Edge of Forever'. A strange time portal device throws Kirk and Spock to 1920s New York, where, waiting for Bones to make it to that time, Kirk meets and falls in love with Edith Keeler, who runs a local soup kitchen. A common woman who dreams of a better future and aims for the stars, through looking through multiple time reels courtesy of the portal's recording of history, shows two very different futures for Earth. One where she lives, and Hitler and fascism rise; one where she dies in a vehicle accident and the world is as it should be. The Enterprise hangs in the balance as it is between times and choices. Very interesting reference for Ichy to make. Slight parallel to the finale.

The soul moving to another body may just be a walk-in. Those who believe in reincarnation and soul contacts find this intriguing.

• Love 1

The truth bombs, no wonder they fired him since he was telling it like it is.

• Love 11

The soul moving to another body may just be a walk-in. Those who believe in reincarnation and soul contacts find this intriguing.

I don't believe in reincarnation, but I do find it interesting. However, I've yet to see done well (that I can remember, with the possible exception of Dr. Who, but that's a different show).

I'm not sure it can overcome the baggage of losing the lead (beloved)character. It would have been easier to digest if it had been a basic part of the mythology (like Who's regeneration), and shown that both of the leads had received the "spark" earlier in the series. But this is, and felt like it was, tacked on at the last minute.

Frustrating to see good ideas, good actors and great chemistry go to waste.

• Love 3

I hope you don't mind but I will be using this phrase in the future.

Not at all! That was the only thing/words that came to my brain as I watched, not believing the fuckers were doing this, yet they did.

I think we should subtitle this episode thread with that phrase.

I know, right?

The last time I was this angry, I was a teenager. When I saw my crush at the time, Bobby Ewing, getting mowed down by his psycho, stalker ex-sister-in-law, Katherine, to save Pamela, and then seeing him all bloody and flatlining. I cried me some ugly tears, was yelling, my parents had to calm me down.

So I was ecstatic when Patrick Duffy came back, erasing the season before as Pamela's dream, because I DID.NOT.CARE. Bobby was back and alive. That's ALL I cared about.

Then again, Dallas had like nine years of history behind it, and there was JR, but still. It was Bobby.

Ahem.

I can't believe someone would think that first blind item thrown out here, would think it was Beharie. Especially since she's been a CLASS ACT since Day ONE.  It's why I never believe or speculate on such things.  And that's all I'm saying on the subject.

Oh, and FUCK YOU AGAIN, FOX AND CAMPBELL.

• Love 8
(edited)

So, Jenny lost Joe and Abbie in the same day. Screw you, show.

Through the course of the show, Ichabod lost his entire life when he woke up in the future, his friend Abraham, Katrina, Jeremy, Betsy (in a sense), and Abbie. And then they made him stand on the runner of an SUV and talk to the air like he's on a fucking soap opera. This man should be in the depths of grief.

Did anyone else get that little feeling of hope when Ezra showed up at the cemetery with George Washington's letter, thinking it was going to be the hook into next season, the seed of hope for Crane to get Abbie back (in her own fucking body and not this body snatchers bullshit)? Fuck you show, for giving me that little feeling of hope.

Edited by Abra
  • Love 5
(edited)

Sure it is. It's the incident where the old gods burned down the world.

So substitute "Gods" with "Hacks" and it's kind of the same thing?  

Otherwise, all the title Ragnorak signified was a self-consciously ironic reference, not anything that informed the narrative. Yet another of THO's unrealized threats of mayhem is not quite the same as an entire pantheon destroying themselves and the world they rule over, even with vague commonalities like beings hidden in trees and (talk of) flooding.

Edited by yuggapukka
  • Love 3

Badly written and a sad way to end a series - or, even a season IF it comes back which would surprise me.  I never saw romantic stuff between the two leads so I don't much care about that side of things but they really did waste the very nice chemistry between the leads with lousy storytelling and also keeping them apart from each other in so many episodes except for a few scenes.

And, sorry, I just think the whole story was stupid - The first season was fun - the rest has been sort of a slog when I did watch.  

If they don't come back I won't be disappointed at all because the last thing I am interested is Crane in DC with black suits and black SUVs just like every other idiotic conspiracy story - 

I have zero idea - not having followed any of it - on the background on what the story is with Beharie but, whatever happened, I wish her luck and also to TM - both deserve (as do the rest of the cast) much better material.  Hope they find it.

• Love 2

Did anyone else get that little feeling of hope when Ezra showed up at the cemetery with George Washington's letter, thinking it was going to be the hook into next season, the seed of hope for Crane to get Abbie back (in her own fucking body and not this body snatchers bullshit)? Fuck you show, for giving me that little feeling of hope.

Yes!  Right up to the end I thought there would be a way of getting Abbie--the whole Abbie, not just her soul--back.  I even thought that maybe when Crane was at the cemetery making his speech to the gravestone that he would look up and get a glimpse of Abbie through the trees and the last line would be "Abbie?" and that would be the cliffhanger.  Stupid me.  I always give the writers too much credit for sheer human decency. 

• Love 7

After this finale, I really hope that I follow my own advice.

I received some flack on another board about my decision to not watch the final episode of the current X-Files. I said that there was too much good TV available now for me to continue watching a show that had wandered so far from what made it great in the beginning. My tastes have changed, and I expect different things from my entertainment now.

The first season of this show had me excited, then it completely derailed. I stayed with it solely based on the chemistry between Beharie and Mison (which remained in spite of TPTB doing everything they could think of to kill it).

Now...well, you've all said everything that needs to be said.

Best of luck in the future Nicole (and Tom), you deserve it.

I really hope that I have finally learned my lesson...( I might be looking at you Walking Dead...)

• Love 4
(edited)

Yeah, and about that. I seem to recall new guy in the writer's room mansplaining mightily that over his dead body would a character of color be treated disrespectfully on his watch. I trust his wife and family will move forward in peace now that his life's purpose in advancing their story is done.

Brilliant post #1

I hope she joins the Shondaland family where she'll be respected as the awesome actress that she is.

Can she join Lee Daniels instead? His women get to do better stuff.

I'd prefer Shondaland.  She (and her disciples -- HTGAWM and The Catch) understand true diversity and mix things up well.  And NB has the [Viola Davis] chops to portray the emotional roller coaster she'd be on.

I like Empire, but only Cookie gets much depth, and Laura giving up her treasured virginity to Hakeem was Hidden One-levels of stupid and ghastly and abusive.  No thanks.  (I haven't seen the latest ep, but I understand even worse happens there...)

I feel like I just got my divorce papers from a sad three year marriage.

Brilliant Post #2

ETA:

I'm rooting for Nicole to pull a Taraj P. Henson and wind up on something huge.

Brilliant Post #3

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 4
(edited)

So substitute "Gods" with "Hacks" and it's kind of the same thing?

Otherwise, all the title Ragnorak signified was a self-consciously ironic reference, not anything that informed the narrative. Yet another of THO's unrealized threats of mayhem is not quite the same as an entire pantheon destroying themselves and the world they rule over, even with vague commonalities like beings hidden in trees and (talk of) flooding.

OK, I think their answer would be that Pandora's tree / the tree on her box was supposed to be Yggdrasil (or Mimir's tree) which reaches between the realms in Norse cosmology and is at the center of Ragnarök, the battle which destroyed the old Gods. I imagine that's why until it was destroyed Abbie was trapped between. The whole thing really screams deconstructivist college student charting literary allusion on graph paper to me, but mileage varies.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 6
(edited)

Oh Sleepy Hallow. You truly were the best of time, and the worst of times. You were an age of a shotgun wielding Headless Horseman, and a pointless whispering witch. You were an age of great chemistry, and chemistry black holes. It was a time of great characters, and pointless death scenes. It was Sleepy Hallow, a show that started as a  buzzworthy hit, and then ended up as a cautionary tale in how to take a fun show, and run it into the ground.  

But seriously, this was a mess. We somehow went from the new X Files to the new How I Met Your Mother. This was an insult to the fans, to the characters, and the actors. These show runners and writers deserve all the grief they are getting, and more. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 15

My husband has been very kind to me tonight and this morning, helping me to process that finale. I've blogged about it, thought about it, and even got choked up about it this morning. I'm grieving right now, as silly as that may sound, the loss of a show I once knew and loved. And I think it's been happening for a while.

I'm glad that this forum is here and it's a comfort that many reacted to this ending the way that I did-many of us are saddened, angered, confused but I take solace, and I really do, in the fact that I'll always have season 1(and snippets of 2 & 3) the beautiful fan art, writing, and the like.

I don't know that the show will be renewed, but if it does, it won't be the show that I fell in love with which returns. It'll be something different and at this time, I'm not ready to be open minded about that and it's really okay. My hope is that I'll get to enjoy Miharie in another form some day.

• Love 6

I'm going to fanwank that Ichabod's deep bow to Abbie was Tom saying goodbye to Nicole. 

(Thanks for the off the charts chemistry you guys. It was a beautiful thing.)

I don't like to wish mean things, but I hope that the show runners responsible for pissing away Sleepy Hollow's potential are never in charge of anything ever again. 

Oh, I 'm sure they will be. Incompetent white people in Hollywood always get a 2nd, 3rd and 44th chance.

• Love 12

As far as the Star Trek reference goes... don't flatter yourself, Television Program. And also, no. Just no.

Yeah, The City on the Edge of Forever is a fantastic episode of television. It's haunting and memorable despite the cardboard sets, cheesy special effects, overacting, dated gender roles, and obvious plotholes.

The thing is, the woman who died to allow the future to go forward was a guest star. Guest characters generally exist to move the leads along. Star Trek was infamous for having a Babe of the Week who existed solely to remind Kirk (or occasionally one of the other male leads) how wonderful he was. It's something that a modern viewer can choose to dismiss with an eyeroll, or not. Later offerings of the Star Trek franchise corrected the gender roles issues, and Star Trek was generally ahead of its time when it came to race.

What happened here was different. The co-protagonist of the series was reduced to "plot device there to move the real lead along." It was a retcon. It was sexist. It was racist.

It was bad TV.

If you're saying Abbie Mills = Captain Kirk's Babe of the Week, fuck you, Television Program.

• Love 23

I am still can't believe they did this. They should have killed off both Ichabod and Abbie if they wanted to continue the show. People would have stuck around to support the show. Killing Abbie and reducing her significance to the story just made me bitter about everything SH. 

With that said, I do think SH will be renewed for season 4. Fox is a business company and they want their money back will mean getting certain amount of episode made for reruns. 

I just don't have to watched or be associated with it any longer. FUCK SLEEPY HOLLOW!!!!

• Love 5

Oh Sleepy Hallow. You truly were the best of time, and the worst of times. You were an age of a shotgun wielding Headless Horseman, and a pointless whispering witch. You were an age of great chemistry, and chemistry black holes. It was a time of great characters, and pointless death scenes. It was Sleepy Hallow, a show that started as a  buzzworthy hit, and then ended up as a cautionary tale in how to take a fun show, and run it into the ground. 

Judging from how they presented Katrina then Betsy, it was always A Tale of Two Titties.

(I'll see your literary reference and raise you a title parody...)

• Love 19

The City on the Edge of Forever

Word to your whole post. I knew The City on the Edge of Forever. The City on the Edge of Forever was a friend of mine. You, sir, are no City on the Edge of Forever

• Love 17

I was glad that the show was at least thoughtful enough to bring Clancy Brown back to see Abbie out. I thought that showed a good impulse in the part of the show. Too bad the dialogue put in both their mouths diminished her contribution as a unique character. I really wish Abbie had been allowed to express sorrow at everything she would miss out on in life instead of her platitudes about being at peace and his blather about a phoenix rising in another form. I think the character deserved some poignancy to her last scenes instead of this retcon that she was only there to facilitate someone elses' journey and she was replaceable.

I sort-of understand the impulse to promote the idea that the story is not over, but Abbie's story is over and I would rather have heard silence than hear her individuality trivialized.

• Love 6

Word to your whole post. I knew The City on the Edge of Forever. The City on the Edge of Forever was a friend of mine. You, sir, are no City on the Edge of Forever

In back to back posts we've got Charles Dickens and the 1988 vice presidential debates. And it's all on topic.

I love the internet.

Sleepy Hollow does not deserve its fanbase.

• Love 22