Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Mister Poitier had a great career as an actor and then transitioned into an impressive career as a director. (We'll give him a pass on his last one) R.I.P.

What was the last one?

*looks it up on Wikipedia then sees what it was*

Oh. Oh. Ugh. And yeah, we'll give him a pass on that one.

• LOL 12

Heh, yeah, my mom would definitely agree with Hartman's character's description of him :D. She's always said he was a good-looking man. 

Rest in peace, Mr. Poitier. Just keep losing all the great legends, don't we? 

• Love 11

Wow, the generation is truly turning over. Our oldest, great legends are dying. I wish for the younger generations to see their work. RIP to Sir Sidney and Peter B. 

Betty's death was a gut punch to me, just because she personally reminds me of my own grandmother, who thankfully is still with us. 

If you think about it, Betty White IS U.S. Television. She's older than television itself. And what a career it was.

Both Daytime and Primetime Emmy's better step up their game for their Betty White tributes. 

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Betty's death was a gut punch to me, just because she personally reminds me of my own grandmother, who thankfully is still with us. 

My mom said Betty always reminded her of a great aunt of mine - similar mannerisms and way of speaking and whatnot. When people kept sharing that one photo of her in her younger days after her death, I thought back to the younger photos of my great-aunt that I've seen, and I could totally see the resemblance. 

• Love 10
37 minutes ago, giovannif7 said:

One of my earliest crushes - thank you sir, for (among many other wonderful things) helping me connect with who I am. 😥😥😥

1803673772_SidneyPoitierRIP.jpg.cb1de89423e8293416c055a63864eab9.jpg

He was one of my earliest crushes, too.  In addition to being handsome and intelligent, I loved the way he moved.

• Love 10

Losing Sidney Poitier so soon after Betty White...I was just not prepared.  He always carried himself with such dignity and self-respect.  One of his little known (at least to me) roles that I just fell in love with him was For the Love of Ivy. He was swoon worthy.  I still remember when he was awarded an honorary Oscar (2002?), how he just commanded the audiences attention. He will be missed.

• Love 13
13 minutes ago, MisterGlass said:

It's minor by comparison, but I always enjoyed him as the put upon straight man in the ensemble cast of Sneakers.

I think that's the most recent of his performances that I have seen.  Poitier and Redford together -- swoon!

• Love 8

As of January 8,2022, Sinead O'Connor has made the public statement that her 17-year-old son Shane who'd been missing for two days had been found deceased, evidently by his own hand.  

I truly hope there are folks who will somehow support and comfort Miss O'Connor and the rest of their loved ones during this horrific time and she somehow finds the strength to cope with this ghastly tragedy. May young Shane Rest in Peace.

https://news.yahoo.com/sin-ad-o-connor-son-101009879.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

• Useful 1

Marilyn Bergman, Oscar-winning lyricist, dies aged 93.

Marilyn Bergman, the Oscar-winning lyricist who teamed with husband Alan Bergman on The Way We Were, How Do You Keep the Music Playing? and hundreds of other songs, died at her Los Angeles home Saturday. She was 93.

Their songs included the Streisand-Neil Diamond duet You Don’t Bring Me Flowers, Sinatra’s Nice ’n’ Easy and Dean Martin’s Sleep Warm. They helped write the uptempo themes to the 1970s sitcoms Maude and Good Times and collaborated on words and music for the 1978 Broadway show Ballroom.

But they were best known for their contributions to films, turning out themes sometimes remembered more than the movies themselves. Among the highlights: Stephen Bishop’s It Might Be You, from Tootsie; Noel Harrison’s The Windmills of Your Mind, from The Thomas Crown Affair; and, for Best Friends, the James Ingram-Patti Austin duet How Do You Keep the Music Playing?

The Bergmans won three Oscars – for The Way We Were, Windmills of Your Mind and the soundtrack to Streisand’s Yentl – and received 16 nominations, three of them in 1983 alone. They also won two Grammys and four Emmys and were inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

Edited by Hiyo
7 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

It's minor by comparison, but I always enjoyed him as the put upon straight man in the ensemble cast of Sneakers.

That's actually the film of his I chose to watch in toast to him last night.  It's one of the greatest casts ever assembled (seriously, Sidney Poitier, Robert Redford, Mary McDonnell, Ben Kingsley, David Strathairn, River Phoenix, Dan Aykroyd constituting just your main cast, and then you've got Lee Garlington, Eddie Jones, George Hearn, Timothy Busfield, etc. in small roles?) and a fun caper, and I was in the mood to celebrate him that way.  I'm reserving the heavier stuff for a tribute marathon.

• Love 13
On 1/7/2022 at 4:21 AM, cynicat said:

I know he directed some great movies.  For whatever reason though, the main thing tied to  Bogdanovich in my brain is that he and Dorothy Stratten were lovers.  She moved into his house and told her husband Paul that she was leaving him because she was in love with Bogdanovich.  

He married Dorothy Stratten's little sister in 1988 when she was 20 and he was 49. They stayed married until 2001.  I'm still creeped out by it though because Hugh Hefner (I know. I know.) apparently accused him of seducing said sister when she was 13 which Bogdanovich denied. He married her a few years later though. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

The bad feelings were mutual with regard to Bogdanovich and Hefner.  Bogdanovich blamed Hefner for Dorothy Stratten's murder in that Hefner's barring Paul Snider (the husband) from the Playboy Mansion set off the rage in which Snider killed Stratten. PB also maintained that Hefner "forced himself" (via pressure, not anything physical) on Stratten -- which, given material in Holly Madison's book, is not unthinkable. 

According to Bogdanovich -- and, of course the victors/survivors are those who write the history, so consider that it's his point of view -- Snider was okay with Stratten leaving him for Bogdanovich. He'd been aware of it for quite a while and taken no action.  However, Snider considered Stratten's Playboy association as his bread and butter; hence the rage when Hefner cut him out. 

https://www.vulture.com/2022/01/peter-bogdanovich-in-conversation.html
(Hefner stuff is about 2/3 of the way through)

Bogdanovich likened his relationship and marriage to Louise as two people clinging to the same piece of wreckage and becoming close -- and of course, he was old enough that he should have known better.  After the divorce, he eventually moved back in with Louise (platonically) and her mother, and they all seemed to get along well. 

Bogdanovich was a mess in many, many ways.  He was unfaithful to his wife and later to the woman with whom he had cheated; incredibly pompous (but he knew his stuff, so he could back up a lot of the a***ole behavior, IMO); and made enemies easily (to be fair, one of those enemies -- Billy Wilder -- was pretty good at making them himself). 

But I think many of Bogdanovich's works showed his deep love and understanding of cinema, with at least one of them widely considered a masterpiece -- and I deeply appreciate his love and respect for the medium and enjoy many of his films, even the lesser ones.  So, while he certainly was not perfect, and everyone's got to go sometime, I mourn his passing.

Edited by Miss Anne Thrope
gotta keep the tense correct
  • Useful 4
  • Love 5

Dwayne Hickman, the protagonist of The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis (1958-1963) has died of complications of Parkinson's Disease on Sunday, January 9,2022. He was 87! Although he himself never quite captured the onetime stardom of that show, some others did. Most notably costars such as Warren Beatty playing the well-heeled rival for the affections of a stunning girl played by Tuesday Weld! Of course, his best  spacy, beatnik buddy Maynard G. Krebs was played by a rather intelligent performer named Bob Denver who'd soon become immortalized the next year playing the even goofier title character on Gilligan's Island (1964-1967) while the not conventionally sultry but kindhearted and brainy girl Zelda Gilroy  who wanted to be more than friends with him was played by the performer billed as Sheila James who would become a landmark lawyer and legislator fighting for women's and LGBTQ rights' under her actual name of Sheila Kuehl!  May Mr. Hickman RIP!

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/dwayne-hickman-many-loves-dobie-180449676.html

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Blergh said:

Dwayne Hickman, the protagonist of The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis (1958-1963) has died of complications of Parkinson's Disease on Sunday, January 9,2022. He was 87! Although he himself never quite captured the onetime stardom of that show, some others did. Most notably costars such as Warren Beatty playing the well-heeled rival for the affections of a stunning girl played by Tuesday Weld! Of course, his best  spacy, beatnik buddy Maynard G. Krebs was played by a rather intelligent performer named Bob Denver who'd soon become immortalized the next year playing the even goofier title character on Gilligan's Island (1964-1967) while the not conventionally sultry but kindhearted and brainy girl Zelda Gilroy  who wanted to be more than friends with him was played by the performer billed as Sheila James who would become a landmark lawyer and legislator fighting for women's and LGBTQ rights' under her actual name of Sheila Kuehl!  May Mr. Hickman RIP!

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/dwayne-hickman-many-loves-dobie-180449676.html

When I was growing up, one of my local stations used to run "Dobie Gillis" every weekday afternoon. I would get home from school and do my homework while I watched it. I used to love those 1950s sitcoms. It's available on Tubi; I watched a bunch of episodes last year during lockdowns.

• Love 7

Are you kidding me?!

One of my most prevalent childhood memories was watching him on America’s Funniest Home Videos. That used to make me laugh.

I cannot lie, I was not a fan of Danny Tanner. His OCD level of neat-freakness was annoying. Still, as much as I’ve grown to hate How I Met Your Mother, he really was perfect as “adult” Ted.

65 is way too young…

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

Rest in Peace Bob Saget. I loved Full House when I was a little kid and would watch it when it was part of T.G.I.F. that was a huge part of my childhood. 

Same. And I too remember him as the host of "America's Funniest Home Videos".

Stunned by this news. Wow. May he rest in peace. 

• Love 9

Man, 2022 isn’t letting up. He was such a huge part of my childhood. I am in disbelief. I feel entirely too young to be losing stars from my childhood sitcoms already. 
RIP Bob. AFHV was our Youtube before Youtube. Damn.  65 is way too young. 

• Love 11

I don't know that I've ever actually seen Bob Saget in anything, so I have no personal feelings of loss, but how horrible for his loved ones -- reading that he was only 65 and in the middle of a tour, it seems this was a totally unexpected death.  That's extra hard to deal with. 

• Love 15

Whoa Bob Saget.  RIP.  Honestly the only thing I remember him in is Full House from back in the day.

Is it me or does it seem like celeb deaths seem to come in clusters at the end and beginning of the year?

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 5