Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Aw, Robert Guillame.  But 89 certainly ain't bad.

His return to Sports Night after his stroke (which was written into the show) was one of my favorite moments of the series.  "Hey, Lady - are you planning to get my show on the air any time soon?"  Cue chills at hearing that voice again, slightly altered.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

His return to Sports Night after his stroke (which was written into the show) was one of my favorite moments of the series.  "Hey, Lady - are you planning to get my show on the air any time soon?"  Cue chills at hearing that voice again, slightly altered.

You and me both.  I'll have to break out the DVDs tonight.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Spartan Girl said:

I'll always remember him as Rafiki in The Lion King. 

Totally did not know that was him. Wow. 

I liked him on "SOAP", too. He was fun. Shame to hear this news-may he rest in peace. 

One of my favorite quotes ever, from Sports Night. Written by Sorkin, delivered impeccably by Mr. Guillaume.

Issac: You know I love you, don't you?

Dan: Yeah.

Isaac: And because I love you that I can say this: no rich, young, white guy ever got anywhere with me comparing himself to Rosa Parks.

R.I.P.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

89 is a decent age but still: go burn in seven hells, cancer.

Absolutely heartbroken over Robert Guillaume.    Great actor.   Great person from what I understand.   

The quote was because I totally agree with this sentiment.   Doesn't matter the age, cancer SUCKS.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Totally did not know that was him. Wow. 

I liked him on "SOAP", too. He was fun. Shame to hear this news-may he rest in peace. 

I didn't either. That movie was one of my favorites as I was growing up.

RIP Mr. Guillame.

• Love 2

Years ago, while having lunch at a Baltimore Waterfront restaurant, we saw Robert Guillaume sitting a few tables away. Our server explained he was in town making a TV movie.  Not wanting to disturb him we started waving & he kindly acknowledged our greeting by standing up, smiling & waving back at us. A true gentleman. RIP.

• Love 11
48 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always found my thrill on Blueberry Hill! And many a time found myself thinking "Ain't that a Shame" whenever those words applied to the particular situation. *SNIFF.*

I wonder if he and Robert Guillaume ever crossed paths? I guess he preferred the tag Fats to his given name of 'Antoine, Jr.'. Still,  I think it's fitting that he got to make his exit in the same place as he came into this world- the Crescent City! RIP, on that hill, Mr. Domino.

• Love 7

Way, way back in the day my school went on a field trip (6th grade).  We went to the theater.  It was my first live play experience; a musical called Purlie and it starred Robert Guillaume.  Afterwards I was so thrilled, awed and excited I didn't sleep at all that night; I had found something incredible.

Rest in peace, Mr. Guillaume.  Thank you.

Edited by amaranta
typo
  • Love 14

I'll be honest and say like Spartan Girl I can't hear that song without thinking of Richie Cunningham because he used to sing it on Happy Days whenever he was going to get lucky with a girl! Also first heard "Aint' That a Shame" in American Graffiti(also starring Ron Howard).

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I'll be honest and say I can't hear that song without thinking of Richie Cunningham because he used to sing it on Happy Days whenever he was going to get lucky with a girl!

And I just learned we have the SAME birthday! How did I NOT know that before today?

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Another talented, legendary musician gone. Sigh. 

This sucks. Rest in peace, Fats. 

But he lived a good long life.  We should be grateful he didn't succumb to substance abuse, heart disease or cancer, too young.

• Love 11

So sad to hear the latest passings!  

I grew up watching Robert Guillaume on Soap and its spinoff, Benson.  He had rapid fire delivery!  

I also remember a news story which happened in the early 90s:  A little girl was choking on her lunch at school and a classmate ran to her aid and performed the Heimlich Maneuver, saving her life.  He said he had learned it watching a rerun of Benson in which the character saved Krause's life with it.  It made national news, although Guillaume  was flattered since the episode had been taped a decade prior and found it interesting he was such an influence!

Definitely a bummer losing The Fat Man.  I, too always associated Blueberry Hill with Richie's anticipated romantic conquests!  But Domino did so much more and came from a very musical family so it's no surprise he had so much talent!  I had heard on the radio today that after a while he refused to tour again - and remain in his home town of New Orleans.  He was getting royalties from his past hits (money wasn't a problem by this point in his life) and he hated not finding good food like he could get in The Big Easy!!   The mountain had to go to Mohammed - so to speak.

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, Vera said:

I think I'll pull out my Sports Night DVD and watch The Six Southern Gentlemen of Tennessee tonight.

This brought tears.  What a fabulous show Sports Night was.  And what a fabulous actor Mr. Guillaume was.

8 hours ago, amaranta said:

Way, way back in the day my school went on a field trip (6th grade).  We went to the theater.  It was my first live play experience; a musical call Purlie and it starred Robert Guillaume.  Afterwards I was so thrilled, awed and excited I didn't sleep at all that night; I had found something incredible.

Rest in peace, Mr. Guillaume.  Thank you.

This gave me a chill.  You're so lucky to have seen that.  I saw him at the National Theatre in Guys and Dolls when I was in college... and I promptly quit school and got a job at said theatre.  Okay, I quite the next year, but I did get a job at the National.  And that show was probably the one that made me realize I didn't want to be in school at that moment, I just wanted to work.  (I went back and got a degree later.  And I worked at the National for the next 35 years.  So it all worked out.)

• Love 9

From The Hollywood ReporterActor Jack Bannon, Who Played Assistant City Editor Art Donovan on "Lou Grant", Dead at 77

His mother was actress Bea Benaderet, best known for The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show, Petticoat Junction, Green Acres, & for voicing the character of Betty Rubble in The Flintstones. His father was actor Jim Bannon, who played Red Ryder in 4 movies. Actor/singer & Oscar nominee John Travolta was 1 of his brothers-in-law by marriage; Bannon married John's older sister, actress Ellen Travolta, in 1983. She's best known for playing Scott Baio's mother in the sitcoms Joanie Loves Chachi Charles in Charge.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To remove excessive italics & add info.
  • Love 6
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:29 AM, BW Manilowe said:

From The Hollywood ReporterActor Jack Bannon, Who Played Assistant City Editor Art Donovan on "Lou Grant", Dead at 77

His mother was actress Bea Benaderet, best known for The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show, Petticoat Junction, Green Acres, & for voicing the character of Betty Rubble in The Flintstones. His father was actor Jim Bannon, who played Red Ryder in 4 movies. Actor/singer & Oscar nominee John Travolta was 1 of his brothers-in-law by marriage; Bannon married John's older sister, actress Ellen Travolta, in 1983. She's best known for playing Scott Baio's mother in the sitcoms Joanie Loves Chachi Charles in Charge.

That's quite a Hollywood pedigree.  I enjoyed the Lou Grant series so much.  Bannon was part of an excellent cast and would turn up in guest appearances on many other 1970s/80s series.  I can still remember when his mom died, too.  RIP.

• Love 1
On 10/27/2017 at 0:29 PM, BW Manilowe said:

I had a crush on him when he was on "Lou Grant."

• Love 2
2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

That is so sad.  My mother was 76 when she unexpectedly passed away last January, so I can imagine that the passing of Jimmy's mother at only 68 (WAY too young, if you ask me!) must have felt like a sucker punch to the gut even if he knew it was coming (and it sounds as though he probably did, which must be why he canceled Friday's taping and immediately went to be with her).  My condolences to him and to his family.

• Love 9
12 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

That is so sad.  My mother was 76 when she unexpectedly passed away last January, so I can imagine that the passing of Jimmy's mother at only 68 (WAY too young, if you ask me!) must have felt like a sucker punch to the gut even if he knew it was coming (and it sounds as though he probably did, which must be why he canceled Friday's taping and immediately went to be with her).  My condolences to him and to his family.

Condolences on the loss of your mother; especially since her passing was unexpected. My dad passed away over Memorial Day weekend at 81 (if he'd lived until almost the end of July, he'd have made it to 82); unlike your mom, we (& I suspect Jimmy's family, both biological & non) knew it was coming, for a few years now in our case (cancer f-ing SUCKS, big time).

I hope Jimmy & his mom's other loved ones got to say a proper goodbye to her beforehand. When my dad went to the hospital for the last time, the last thing I ever said to him wasn't "I love you", which I've been regretting for the last few months, as I didn't get to talk to him on the phone, & my own health has kept me rather immobile, & pretty much homebound/stuck in bed for about the last 3 years... which he, thankfully, was aware of & understood--especially since he was a doctor by profession--so I didn't get to see him again at the hospital, like my mom & brother did. So the last time I ever saw/talked to him was right before the ambulance took him to the hospital for the last time, & I guess I was trying to keep things light, or something; I guess I was trying to pretend this wasn't "it"--though Mom & I were pretty sure it was--& so I didn't say "I love you", like I probably shouId've. I said something like I'd see him when he came home, even though Mom & I knew he probably wouldn't, & I'm kicking myself for it now. I agree, 68 is rather young for an adult to pass, all things considered.

According to this, from my Sunday morning paper's Living/Entertainment section via AP, not only was Friday night's edition of The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon replaced with a rebroadcast due to his mother's death, but all of this week's episodes will be repeats as well. Which I suppose is to be expected, seeing as they probably didn't have the funeral immediately after she died plus they should have some time to mourn/grieve properly afterwards as well.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To fix some typos.
  • Love 11