Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, ethalfrida said:

Some of the stories the "girls" told about how he ran his bed were just nasty. To me he was lauded as some type of awesomeness that does not exist for other pimps no matter how classy they are. He was just a pimp...

Well, if they were his girls, what does that say about them? That they sold out to be popular (fame), to be taken care of, or for a paycheck (allowance). In some cases that would mean it was mutual usury. Now that he's deceased I'm sure some stories that have been kept mum will begin to emerge. Agreed, perhaps not so pretty. 

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Well, if they were his girls, what does that say about them? That they sold out to be popular (fame), to be taken care of, or for a paycheck (allowance). In some cases that would mean it was mutual usury. Now that he's deceased I'm sure some stories that have been kept mum will begin to emerge. Agreed, perhaps not so pretty. 

I am sure you are right. Actually, though, I wasn't trying to exclude them. In fact, when I was listening I was thinking how unclean they all were. And especially if you are in that bed with your sister. And this was a while back so we just know lots of them are going to try and cash in on everything.

• Love 2

Tom Petty IS gone.  His daughter confirmed it with her RIP --

And the official Tom Petty Facebook page has confirmed it too, as well as the L.A. Times and other places.  We all knew it earlier today.  They (the family, band, friends and manager) just needed time to say their goodbyes and officially announce it.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 4

Yup, I had a feeling (like @TVFan17 stated) they were retracting the news until the intimate family had a chance to say their goodbyes. It was extremely shitty of the media to report the news earlier than the family expected.

RIP Tom. Hope you, Prince, George and Roy are having one hell of a jam session in the afterlife.

• Love 8
Just now, AgentRXS said:

Yup, I had a feeling (like @TVFan17 stated) they were retracting the news until the intimate family had a chance to say their goodbyes. It was extremely shitty of the media to report the news earlier than the family expected.

RIP Tom. Hope you, Prince, George and Roy are having one hell of a jam session in the afterlife.

Glenn Frey and Chris Cornell might join in on a couple of tunes.

• Love 5

Rest in peace Tom Petty.  What a shock this one was.  He was performing just a few days ago.

I remember having a crush of sorts on him back in the 80s and also very much enjoyed him in the Traveling Wilburys later on.  Very sad, he was far too young.

• Love 3

It sort of feels like the mourning was interrupted because of all of the confusion over the retractions.  Now I am seeing some comments around the Internet from people who still don't believe Tom is actually gone because of the earlier premature reports.  I just posted something on my Facebook page about it, and one of my Facebook friends was insisting that he is not dead.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 2

I was driving to the airport as his hospitalization on life support was announced, and just as I arrived it was announced that he'd been taken off life support.  I - possessing a basic understanding of science - took this to mean exactly what was said: life support had been removed, and thus extrapolated that natural death would inevitably follow.  As I got back in my car to drive my parents back to their house, it was reported he'd died, and I thought that was quick.  Then by the time I got them home, the media had entered the "Wait, not dead yet" phase.  What an unnecessarily muddled mess!

I don't know many of Tom Petty's albums, and know even less about him off-stage, but I like almost all of his singles.  I don't need to know more than that to say he was a true talent, and to die days into retirement (especially at his age) is a shame.

• Love 10

I think Tom's death is going to hit Stevie Nicks really hard.  They were close friends (as well as duet partners) for a long, long time.  I'm sure the media is trying to get to Stevie to coax her to make some sort of statement, but, as far as I have seen, I think she has been silent so far.   She posted something about Glenn Frey on her website quite soon after he died, but I don't think that one hit her in the same way.   She was much closer to Tom Petty and I suspect she is really devastated right now -- especially since this death was so unexpected.  There was no reason to think Tom was 'on the way out.'  Although.... when TMZ caught him on camera recently, as he was about to do a concert, to comment on the hurricane hitting Texas, Tom didn't look completely well.  He looked a bit more frail and out of sorts than usual -- not drastically different than usual, but slightly. 

• Love 4

My ASL teacher's ex-husband worked for Tom Petty for 10 years and they and their daughter loved him.  Before the end of class last night, because of this news and Vegas, she signed to the song "Peace in L.A" which he wrote after the L.A. riots.  It was a bittersweet moment.

• Love 9

His music was just so perfectly simple and straightforward and honest. I think that's the biggest reason people loved him so much. There was no pretense. He had such a relatable, everyman charm about him, so down to earth. 

6 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

I think Tom's death is going to hit Stevie Nicks really hard.  They were close friends (as well as duet partners) for a long, long time.  I'm sure the media is trying to get to Stevie to coax her to make some sort of statement, but, as far as I have seen, I think she has been silent so far.   She posted something about Glenn Frey on her website quite soon after he died, but I don't think that one hit her in the same way.   She was much closer to Tom Petty and I suspect she is really devastated right now -- especially since this death was so unexpected.

I was wondering yesterday how she'd react to this, too, yeah, and what she would have to say. 

The variety of musicians that have spoken about Tom Petty thus far just further serves to show how popular and memorable he was, too. I'll be curious to see what kinds of tributes will be done in his honor going forward. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

His music was just so perfectly simple and straightforward and honest. I think that's the biggest reason people loved him so much. There was no pretense. He had such a relatable, everyman charm about him, so down to earth. 

I was wondering yesterday how she'd react to this, too, yeah, and what she would have to say. 

The variety of musicians that have spoken about Tom Petty thus far just further serves to show how popular and memorable he was, too. I'll be curious to see what kinds of tributes will be done in his honor going forward. 

Have you seen the video of Coldplay and Peter Buck performing Free Fallin'?  

There have been a lot of great written tributes since yesterday.  John Mayer wrote some really nice words on Instagram (where he could say more than he could say on Twitter).   Rob Thomas from Matchbox Twenty posted a very short, but potent, message on social media.   Natalie Maines from the Dixie Chicks posted on Instagram.  Lots of great messages from lots of people.  I suspect that Stevie is probably somewhere writing a beautiful tribute to her friend that we will see or hear in the near future.

I've been waiting for something from Keith Urban -- who I think was a fan of TP, but also is someone who likes to cover artists' songs after they have passed on.

If Bruce Springsteen were doing a regular tour at the moment, he would most definitely whip out a cover version of a TP song -- especially since he and Tom knew each other.  Last year, Bruce was keeping busy, covering David Bowie, Glenn Frey and Prince during his performances.   However, he is just about to start his Broadway run, and I don't know if that will be the sort of format or forum for doing cover versions.

• Love 4

Maybe he knew his health/heart was in poor condition.

After all he said the 40th anniversary tour that he JUST finished was going to be his last protracted one.

Edited by roamyn
ETA I'm backwards today.
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, TVFan17 said:

Have you seen the video of Coldplay and Peter Buck performing Free Fallin'?  

I had not, no! Thank you for sharing that link-I'll definitely watch that soon here. I like Coldplay-cool to see one band I like honoring another favorite musician of mine. 

Thanks for the info on the other artists who've tweeted and shared comments and thoughts about Petty, too. I'll go check out what all they said. 

I've been waiting for something from Keith Urban -- who I think was a fan of TP, but also is someone who likes to cover artists' songs after they have passed on.

Yeah, he's definitely a fan :). My sister loves Keith Urban and she talked about how he had Tom Petty music playing before a concert of his once, and I think he's covered "Free Fallin'" before, too. 

6 minutes ago, TVFan17 said:

Can't you just picture Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen, in the '70s, driving down Sunset Boulevard to the beach, stopping to comb the aisles of Tower Records?  Such an L.A. thing to do for two guys from Florida and New Jersey, respectively.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7988626/bruce-springsteen-tom-petty-death-devastated-twitter

That story is awesome. Hanging out and listening to music with those two would've been such a blast. 

• Love 5
10 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

I think Tom's death is going to hit Stevie Nicks really hard.  They were close friends (as well as duet partners) for a long, long time.  I'm sure the media is trying to get to Stevie to coax her to make some sort of statement, but, as far as I have seen, I think she has been silent so far.   She posted something about Glenn Frey on her website quite soon after he died, but I don't think that one hit her in the same way.   She was much closer to Tom Petty and I suspect she is really devastated right now -- especially since this death was so unexpected.  There was no reason to think Tom was 'on the way out.'  Although.... when TMZ caught him on camera recently, as he was about to do a concert, to comment on the hurricane hitting Texas, Tom didn't look completely well.  He looked a bit more frail and out of sorts than usual -- not drastically different than usual, but slightly. 

I loved their duets. I think his death will hit Stevie hard too.

• Love 3

One of the best lyrics ever written:

"It was a beautiful day, the sun beat down
I had the radio on, I was drivin'
Trees flew by, me and Del were singin' little Runaway
I was flyin'"

Every time I hear "Runnin' Down a Dream" I can feel this lyric.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, rcc said:

I loved their duets. I think his death will hit Stevie hard too.

Stop Draggin' My Heart Around is a wonderful song. I agree this must be real hard for her.  His family and friends are in my thoughts.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, TVFan17 said:

I think Tom's death is going to hit Stevie Nicks really hard.  They were close friends (as well as duet partners) for a long, long time.  I'm sure the media is trying to get to Stevie to coax her to make some sort of statement, but, as far as I have seen, I think she has been silent so far.   She posted something about Glenn Frey on her website quite soon after he died, but I don't think that one hit her in the same way.   She was much closer to Tom Petty and I suspect she is really devastated right now -- especially since this death was so unexpected.

I suspect this is the case. I am a huge fan of Stevie’s and she mentions Tom In about 80 percent of her interviews and largely credits him with the success of her solo career because her gave her Stop Dragging my Heart Around for Bella Donna. Pretty much my first thought after damnit was this is going to be rough for Stevie.

I listened to Travelling Wilburys Volume 1 on the bus twice through this morning. My mum is a huge George Harrison fan and had this album when it first came out when I was about five years old and listened to it a ton. It was my first introduction to Tom Petty.

• Love 4
On 10/3/2017 at 1:05 AM, AgentRXS said:

On 10/3/2017 at 1:07 AM, TVFan17 said:

Glenn Frey and Chris Cornell might join in on a couple of tunes.

Don't forget David Bowie! 

My favorite Tom Petty song is Don't Come Around Here No More. The music in that song (to me) is pure sex. You've got the slow build up and then the song goes flying, complete with a woman wailing in the background. Meanwhile, the lyrics say "Stay away from me!", which always makes me chuckle.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, riley702 said:

My favorite Tom Petty song is Don't Come Around Here No More. The music in that song (to me) is pure sex. You've got the slow build up and then the song goes flying, complete with a woman wailing in the background. Meanwhile, the lyrics say "Stay away from me!", which always makes me chuckle.

Yeah, that's my favorite too. I saw Tom Petty back in the late 90's and I can honestly say it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Lucked out with some 5th row seats also.

• Love 2

Re: "Don't Come Around Here No More"

I don't think I've ever heard of Tom Petty telling the following story, but it was either  Dave Stewart or Joe Walsh who told it in an interview on the Howard Stern Show years ago. (I think it was Dave.)

Don't Come Around Here no More was apparently somewhat inspired (at least the title, if not the lyrics too) by some sort of love triangle with Steve Nicks, Joe Walsh and either Jimmy Iovine or Dave Stewart.

Stevie had romantic relationships or some sort of flings with Joe Walsh (years after she had been involved with his bandmate, Don Henley), Dave Stewart and Jimmy Iovine --  but I forget who she was with at the time this all happened.

Apparently, the Stevie-Joe Walsh break-up was a bitter one, and Joe was not taking it well.  Stevie had begun to see either Dave or Jimmy (I think it was Dave at that point).   Dave (or maybe Jimmy) was in bed at Stevie's house, and Joe Walsh supposedly showed up, causing a scene, ranting and raving, all because of this break-up (and probably because of the influence of some sort of substance, I would imagine).   I think Joe saw that she had another man there too, and he was not amused.   He and Stevie were arguing, and she told him to not come around there anymore, and to leave her alone.

The story of the ruckus with Joe and Stevie was then relayed to Tom Petty (who was friends with all of them) by either Jimmy Iovine or Dave Stewart, and it resulted in Tom naming his song "Don't Come Around Here No More."  I don't know if the lyrics were also inspired by the story, but the title definitely was.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 6
On 10/3/2017 at 7:20 AM, Annber03 said:

I saw him and the Heartbreakers on their previous tour, and this drunk guy behind us kept telling his companion, "This is what America sounds like."  I think, especially when he/his music is juxtaposed with the shooting, it's what people want America to sound like.  I'd say his music is what Americana sounds like.

• Love 4

That's a perfect description. I completely agree :). 

@TVFan17, finally got to watch that Coldplay performance last night. That was lovely. Especially cool to see how into the song the crowd was. Thanks again for sharing that. 

Just hearing those opening guitar notes was enough to get me choked up, too. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

That's a perfect description. I completely agree :). 

@TVFan17, finally got to watch that Coldplay performance last night. That was lovely. Especially cool to see how into the song the crowd was. Thanks again for sharing that. 

Just hearing those opening guitar notes was enough to get me choked up, too. 

You're very welcome!  

I'm still having a hard time not getting choked up, because I still can't believe Tom Petty is gone.  It was so sudden and so out of the blue, and only about one week after the final concert he was ever to perform.  

In a strange way, even though it was all so unexpected, it was kind of a near-perfect end.  He finished up his 40th anniversary tour in the town where he was a longtime resident (Tom loved California).  So his own fellow Los Angeles residents got to see his final concert ever.  And then he went home and died there -- not in a hotel room somewhere; not on a tour bus; not onstage at a show.  He died at home, in bed (well, essentially he did -- even though there was the whole 'he's dead; he's not dead' mess on Monday).

It dawned on me -- and I had completely forgotten this until today -- that Tom either cancelled or postponed some shows back in August.  It was supposedly due to laryngitis and bronchitis.  That sounded believable at the time, and it could be that laryngitis/bronchitis was all it was.  But I can't help but wonder if he was sicker than that -- maybe he was just not feeling well for a while and didn't want to tell anyone.   I have a feeling he would have pushed himself to continue, kind of knowing in the back of his mind that this would be his last big tour and this would be the last chance for a lot of his fans to see him.  But it could be that the stress of touring was too much for his body to take, or maybe he had a more potent illness like walking pneumonia or something.

Anyway, as for the ongoing tributes from other musicians.... Today, Miley Cyrus was on the Howard Stern show, and she performed Tom's song "Wildflowers" as a tribute.   I've never been a Miley fan, but it was lovely.   It's only on Sirius, but if you have Sirius you should be able to find her interview from today.

Also, this article features other tributes -- some from lesser known artists... http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/7988949/tom-petty-bands-pay-tribute-coldplay-wilco

And here is Gavin DeGraw, with a little portion of his Tom Petty tribute --

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

From ETOnline, the website for Entertainment Tonight, & other sources: Tom Petty's Death Being Investigated by the LA Coroner's Office, Despite Autopsy Being Performed

What I'm unclear on is if this is standard procedure, being done because Tom was a celebrity, or if something started not to feel right, in retrospect.

I'm not sure about California/The US in general, but in my jurisdiction any death that is 'sudden and unexpected', which would include most cardiac arrest deaths in people under 70 without pre-existing diagnosis of a condition that would increase the likelihood of cardiac arrest would automatically be referred to the coroner. The coroner can then decide whether to investigate. Which they may choose to do if an autopsy failed to find cause of death, which is common in cases of cardiac arrest, they may also investigate at the request of the family, even if the coroner does not think an investigation is necessary.

Re. Don't Come Around Here No more, it is also one of my favorite Tom Petty songs. Also I find it the variations that exist in the story of its creation fascinating. In addition to the in information @TVFan17 provided above, I have a couple of additional tidbits regarding its creation and the creation of the video clip. Apparently, the song was never intended to be a Tom Petty song, it was intended for Stevie Nicks' third solo album, or at least the first, Jimmy Iovine-produced version of it. Stevie went in to record it, had a huge blow up with Jimmy, who was her ex-boyfriend, stormed out of the studio, scrapped the sessions a couple of weeks later and Tom ultimately decided to keep the song for himself.

The film clip was inspired by Dave Stewart, who had gone to a party at Stevie's, before he knew her well, and had somehow ended up asleep in Stevie's bed. He was awoken at about 5 in the morning by Stevie and a couple of her friends playing dress-ups in Stevie's closet which reminded him of Alice in Wonderland.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Willowsmom said:

In California if someone dies suddenly and is not under doctors care an autopsy is required.

Yes. Tom had an autopsy, but the coroner's office is continuing the investigation into his death.

15 hours ago, Willowsmom said:

In California if someone dies suddenly and is not under doctors care an autopsy is required.

I think that is the case in most states.  Even if you are under a doctors care an autopsy is required in some situations.     

6 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

Yes. Tom had an autopsy, but the coroner's office is continuing the investigation into his death.

a lot of heart deaths leave little or no evidence. It could be that the coroner is waiting on toxicology to come back to be sure it's not something else, being cautious in a high profile case.

• Love 1