Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Condolences to those here, and to Jimmy Fallon, who have recently lost a parent.  Very unexpectedly I lost my Mom in June.  We spoke on the phone every night, had been doing so for years.  To talk about nothing, or everything.  She sounded fine, happy and well; already teasing me about my birthday a full 6 weeks early.  But that was Mom; she'd start talking about Christmas during September and would finish her shopping before Halloween.  She woke up about 5am, short of breath and dizzy.  She called 911 but by the time they got there she was gone.  And no one quite knows why.  She just... stopped.

I wish Jimmy - and my fellow posters - well.  I've learned there is no set grieving time - it takes as long as it takes.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, amaranta said:

Condolences to those here, and to Jimmy Fallon, who have recently lost a parent.  Very unexpectedly I lost my Mom in June.  We spoke on the phone every night, had been doing so for years.  To talk about nothing, or everything.  She sounded fine, happy and well; already teasing me about my birthday a full 6 weeks early.  But that was Mom; she'd start talking about Christmas during September and would finish her shopping before Halloween.  She woke up about 5am, short of breath and dizzy.  She called 911 but by the time they got there she was gone.  And no one quite knows why.  She just... stopped.

That's pretty much what happened to MY mother.  She went to take a nap, and she just never woke up.  I simply figured that after everything she'd been through over the previous year (including a nasty fall that resulted in a broken hip and a probable concussion and most recently, a pacemaker implant just a couple of weeks before she died), her body had just decided that it had had enough and called it quits.

My condolences to you and your family.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 6

Former Blue Jays/Phillies pitcher Roy Halladay died in a plane crash in the Gulf of Mexico today.

This one guts me. He was only forty years old with two kids and probably would have been a Hall of Famer.

• Love 4
On 11/6/2017 at 0:47 PM, amaranta said:

I wish Jimmy - and my fellow posters - well.  I've learned there is no set grieving time - it takes as long as it takes.

I'm sorry for your loss :(

And for Jimmy's. 68, wow she wasn't that old :(

Edited by blueray
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, blueray said:

I'm sorry for your loss :(

And for Jimmy's. 68, wow she wasn't that old :(

And, sadly, the former MLB player who died in the plane crash was almost 30 years younger than Jimmy Fallon's mom. That sucks even worse than Jimmy's mom's age when she died. Although I doubt there's really any "good" age for someone (especially our family, friends, & other loved ones not specified) to die at, other than as old as possible. 

From USA TodayRobert Knight, Who Recorded the Original Version of the Song "Everlasting Love", Dead at 72.

I think there's a YouTube audio post with his version of the song embedded in the linked obit, by the way.

On 11/10/2017 at 9:52 AM, ABay said:

I'm going to pretend Higgins has been reunited with the lads.

Thanks for remembering his role in Blazing Saddles, @AimingforYoko.

And I've been doing the same on the deaths of Barbara Hale and Mary Tyler Moore, among others:

--With Barbara, having her reunited as Della with Perry and Paul in that great Mason detective office in the sky.

--And with MTM, having her reunited with the face of her production label, that great kitten/cat named Mimsie.

• Love 1
On 9/3/2017 at 9:47 AM, BetterButter said:

And earlier this week (I get so busy posting in other forums/threads, I sometimes miss posting stuff in others. Sorry!), Walter's widow wrote a letter to Walter's fans about his death, which was posted in the media. She says, among other things (& I thought the whole letter/statement was worth reading), he died of an extremely aggressive form of esophageal cancer (insert the obligatory F Cancer! here), the diagnosis of which, during a routine physical, took him & his loved ones by surprise; between the aggressiveness of the cancer & the toxicity of the chemotherapy regimen Walter was on, he died less than 4 months after the diagnosis.

7 minutes ago, UYI said:

Actress Ann Wedgeworth has passed away. Many will remember her as Lana from Three's Company, but I remember her as Dylan McDermott's Aunt Fern in Steel Magnolias, who made a mean bleeding armadillo groom's cake (but didn't have enough counter space to make a snake-shaped cake, mind you)!

That was just on TV one night this week, and of course I had to watch it yet again, even though I've seen it numerous times and have the DVD.  I primarily associate her with Steel Magnolias, Evening Shade, and Roseanne (Dan's mom, even though she only played the role in one episode).

7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That was just on TV one night this week, and of course I had to watch it yet again, even though I've seen it numerous times and have the DVD.  I primarily associate her with Steel Magnolias, Evening Shade, and Roseanne (Dan's mom, even though she only played the role in one episode).

I LOVED her in that Thanksgiving episode as Dan's mom. MUCH better than how they portrayed her by the time that episode with Debbie Reynolds in the role rolled around. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, UYI said:

Actress Ann Wedgeworth has passed away. Many will remember her as Lana from Three's Company, but I remember her as Dylan McDermott's Aunt Fern in Steel Magnolias, who made a mean bleeding armadillo groom's cake (but didn't have enough counter space to make a snake-shaped cake, mind you)! RIP, Ann.

http://www.welovesoaps.net/2017/11/ann-wedgeworth-dead-at-83.html

NOOOOO!!!  Not Lahoma!!!

She also won a Tony.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, magdalene said:

It's sad for family having to say good bye no matter what age you are when you die. But if you make it into your nineties you lived a long life and I don't feel the same as when someone like Bowie goes at 69.

That is quite true, especially of Barbara Hale and Monty Hall!

Woah! Wendy Pepper!? That's the second person from Project Runway to pass in less than a month. She was an interesting bird she was. Jay and her going at it, made for good tv. I remember she had a young daughter when she was on the show. Hope she's doing alright. 

• Love 3

Azzedine Alaia, the fashion designer dubbed The King of Cling, has died.

http://wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-features/azzedine-alaia-dies-in-paris-11053101/amp/

He dressed Marie-Hélène de Rothschild, Louise de Vilmorin, Greta Garbo, Tina Turner, Raquel Welch, Grace Jones, Madonna, Janet Jackson, Brigitte Nielsen, Naomi Campbell, Stephanie Seymour, Michelle Obama, Carla Bruni, Victoria Beckham, Shakira, Franca Sozzani, Carine Roitfeld, and Carla Sozzani.

He created some of the costumes for Grace Jones in A View to a Kill

https://girlsdofilm.wordpress.com/2014/12/20/a-view-to-a-kill-bond-finally-meets-his-match/

He was referenced by Cher in Clueless.

He was referenced by Madonna in the Bad Girl video. 

2 minutes ago, magdalene said:

Dementia at 64?  I didn't know you could get it that young.  Scary.  And so sad.

You can get it even younger than that.  Early onset dementia has been seen in people in their 30's.  It's not very common but tends to progress more rapidly and result in death sooner than in older folks.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

You can get it even younger than that.  Early onset dementia has been seen in people in their 30's.  It's not very common but tends to progress more rapidly and result in death sooner than in older folks.

Shudders. That's what some football players also get, isn't it?

1 hour ago, magdalene said:

Dementia at 64?  I didn't know you could get it that young.  Scary.  And so sad.

This is slightly different, but Rita Hayworth died at 68 from Alzheimer's; she was diagnosed at a pretty young age with the disease.