Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Willowsmom said:

a lot of heart deaths leave little or no evidence. It could be that the coroner is waiting on toxicology to come back to be sure it's not something else, being cautious in a high profile case.

Toxicology is definitely at least 1 of the things they're waiting on. I did hear them say that.

7 minutes ago, roamyn said:

My second NOOOOOOO! of the evening (following the Indians).  Hubby and I had seen him quite a few times and he was fricking HILARIOUS!

I'm sure his weight had something to do with it.  I just wish he would've gotten healthier, so he could make us laugh longer.

Did he do a season on Celebrity Fit Club? For some reason I'm remebering him doing ok on the show.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

Did he do a season on Celebrity Fit Club? For some reason I'm remebering him doing ok on the show.

He did; I remember him saying he wanted to be able to run around with his kids.

I'll miss Ralphie. He used to come on or call in one my local radio morning shows a couple times a year and he had everyone in stitches every time.

• Love 2

So devastating. Tom Petty was a rock icon who put out so much brilliant music that stood the test of time, whether it was with the Heartbreakers, the Traveling Wilburys or his solo songs. Besides writing great songs, Petty made great music videos, such as "You Got Lucky," "Learning To Fly," ""Runnin' Down A Dream,"" Into the Great Wide Open, " "Free Fallin'," " Mary Jane's Last Dance" & "Don't Come Around Here No More," the latter two of which were filled with the kind of dark humor that made them classics. 

Speaking of humor, Petty was also hilarious as the voice of the barely coherent Lucky on King Of the Hill. Petty had struggled with addiction in the past but he had reportedly overcome it and had been clean and sober for almost 20 years, which isn't easy, especially in show business.

BW Manilowe: That picture is beautiful and poignant, on several levels. Thanks for posting it.

Tom Petty made many great videos, but my favorite is "Don't Come Around Here No More," because of the aforementioned dark humor, especially the last shot:

Don't Come Around Here No More

RIP, Tom. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 10

BW Manilowe: That picture is beautiful and poignant, on several levels. Thanks for posting it.

That picture makes me sad and nostalgic.  I miss them both in respective ways.  :-(

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 8
On 10/6/2017 at 3:39 PM, Brooklynista said:

He did Last Comic Standing the first season they did it.  It was such a good show but it couldn't keep it up for the next season.   He was hilarious on that.  He had a BEAUTIFUL girlfriend who showed up at the house for a visit and blew everyone's mind.   You just don't think of someone that huge having that. 

• Love 2

From USA TodayHervé Léger Founder Hervé L. Leroux, Creator of the Bandage Dress, Dead at 60 

From Multiple Sources, Including People Magazine: Zachariah, Son of iHeart Radio Syndicated Nighttime Host Delilah, Dead of Depression-Related Suicide

If you're not familiar with it, Delilah's show usually airs in the hours before midnight on radio stations that normally play what was called "Adult Contemporary" or, maybe, "Top 40" music when I was growing up. It's a song request/dedication type show, running live either 5 or 6 nights a week with a "Best of" type show airing the other night or 2 in the week, which usually plays love songs or songs about friendship or other relationships; &, between songs, Delilah usually also talks about love & relationships. I've listened to it before, when I knew what local station carried it, & I have nothing bad to say about it. I actually kinda like it, to be honest. But I haven't heard it in a long time (longer than I'd like, actually) because the station I heard it on dropped it awhile back (a long while, really) & I'm not sure what local station, if any, carries it now (guess if her website has a "where to listen" area I need to check it out soon).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a link.
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, wings707 said:

He did Last Comic Standing the first season they did it.  It was such a good show but it couldn't keep it up for the next season.   He was hilarious on that.  He had a BEAUTIFUL girlfriend who showed up at the house for a visit and blew everyone's mind.   You just don't think of someone that huge having that. 

It was still good for a few more seasons.

That girlfriend became his wife.  They're now divorced.  

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, roamyn said:

It was still good for a few more seasons.

That girlfriend became his wife.  They're now divorced.  

Yes, I remember now that now.  It stopped being good when they no longer lived in a house together.  I loved Dave Mordal.  I think 3 or 4  seasons were good.  

Thanks for the info on Ralphie's life.  I am not surprised to hear of his death given his weight.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

That's the same age my youngest brother was when he passed away ten years ago this month from pneumonia.  I wonder what the cause of Mychael's death was.

Oh no!!! He was so talented and smooth. Damn! 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

That's the same age my youngest brother was when he passed away ten years ago this month from pneumonia.  I wonder what the cause of Mychael's death was.

According to TMZ, his Irritable Bowel Syndrome was wreaking havoc on his immune system this past year and he was being treated for intestinal issues when he died.

• Love 1

I moved to Canada in 1990 so The Tragically Hip are part of the soundtrack of my adult life. I followed the story of his diagnosis, the final tour, and his advocacy for Native Canadians. We had CBC Newsworld on at work when the announcement was made and it's pretty much the only story they're covering. Still can't believe he's dead. 

Edited by Irishmaple
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Damn, that's way too young.  My condolences to his fans, who must be devastated (especially his fans in his native Canada).  Oh, and FUCK CANCER.

Are the Hip well-known outside of Canada?

I feel like this is one of those cultural things where, as a Canadian, I cannot properly judge this. The Hip are as Canadian as Tims and complaining about the weather on the 2-4 weekend. I am 32 and I cannot remember a time where I didn't know Ahead By A Century. Justin Trudeau cried today talking about Gord's death. Gord Downie is a Canadian legend and even if you're not a huge fan (I'm actually not despite admiring him soooo much as a person) you know him, his voice and his words.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, vibeology said:

Are the Hip well-known outside of Canada?

I live in the U.S., and they don't seem to be all that popular or well-known here. The only reason I've heard of the group is because we used to have the MuchMusic channel for a time back in the late '90s/early '00s, and I remember seeing a couple videos of theirs on there at one point. Maybe there's certain areas of the U.S. where people might be more familiar with them, though, but if I were to bring them up in my area I'd get blank looks.

Anywho, condolences to Downie's family, friends, and fans. Judging from that link and the comments made here, he sounds like he left quite a good legacy behind. Way too many talented, good people dying lately, it seems. 

• Love 3

I saw people on Reddit posting from US border cities and towns. Buffalo was one. Most of the non-Canadians I saw were people with geographical access to Canadian TV and/or radio, or people who crossed the border for work or school, or had a Canadian parent. My sister lives in Ireland and she wasn't familiar with them.

• Love 3

I've been a Tragically Hip fan since the 90's when I heard Courage (for Hugh MacLennan) used in the sound track for The Sweet Hereafter (what a sad movie...)  I immediately had to find more of their music - I love them.  RIP Gord; you were amazing.

Edited by amaranta
typo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Irishmaple said:

I saw people on Reddit posting from US border cities and towns. Buffalo was one. Most of the non-Canadians I saw were people with geographical access to Canadian TV and/or radio, or people who crossed the border for work or school, or had a Canadian parent. My sister lives in Ireland and she wasn't familiar with them.

I have heard of them but I live near Canada. So I do listen to their radio.

• Love 1

Difficult to write these words because I am crying.  The Hip was never known in the US, which is a bit surprising.  I don't get why some bands are big in the US and others aren't.  But I am pretty sure the Hip didn't care about that.

Gord Downie, you were adored.

• Love 2

Country (Country/Pop?) vocal group Lady Antebellum performed their cover version of Tom Petty's Learning to Fly at recent concerts (October 4 & 5 in Manchester, England & Dublin, Ireland--cities according to the video in the embedded Tweet; performance dates according to their Wikipedia page).

The video in the embedded Tweet is a combination of the Manchester & Dublin performances; the song begins with the Manchester performance & changes over, maybe about halfway, to end with the group completing the song among the Dublin audience (sandwiched between 2 layers of security guards; at least 1 individual guard, in particular, is your typical "big & burly" type). The song was, originally, on the group's iTunes Sessions digital-only release according to Wikipedia.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add info. Then to fix punctuation and spacing.
  • Love 4