Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

On 2/10/2022 at 9:00 AM, Blergh said:

I hope the authorities thoroughly investigated whether there was any chance that Mr. Saget truly was alone when he allegedly slipped and hit his head- and ruled out the possibility that anyone else might have pushed him. BTW, could he have been wearing  socks or bedroom slippers that might have been too slick for the hotel room floor and  was there any kind of rug or carpet? Regardless, one can't be   cavalier about one's head or neck! 

I agree.  Since authorities are so certain there was no foul play, I suspect there must be video and digital proof that he entered his room alone, stayed alone and that no one else came into the room before his body was found.  The only other possibility would be if he was injured prior to entering the room.  It’s a curious story for sure. 

• Love 12
On 2/10/2022 at 9:00 AM, Blergh said:

I hope the authorities thoroughly investigated whether there was any chance that Mr. Saget truly was alone when he allegedly slipped and hit his head- and ruled out the possibility that anyone else might have pushed him. BTW, could he have been wearing  socks or bedroom slippers that might have been too slick for the hotel room floor and  was there any kind of rug or carpet? Regardless, one can't be   cavalier about one's head or neck! 

It turns out his head injuries were more extensive (and worrisome) than originally reported according to this article in the New York Times.  I am wondering if there will be more investigation now.  It looks like they're sticking with describing it as the result of an accident, but considering how bad the injuries were there is room for doubt now about that.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

It turns out his head injuries were more extensive (and worrisome) than originally reported according to this article in the New York Times.  I am wondering if there will be more investigation now.  It looks like they're sticking with describing it as the result of an accident, but considering how bad the injuries were there is room for doubt now about that.

The coroner specifically mentioned that the injuries were consistent with an 'unwitnessed fall'.  I presume he was seen entering his hotel, and there is probably security video of him getting in the elevator, etc alone and with no signs of injury.

The sort of fractures caused by a blow to the head with a blunt object would generally not look the same as those caused by falling and hitting his head.  The coroner also noted he had an abrasion on the back of his head consistent with a fall.  I think there is also a good possibility that the police found some sign in the room that he fell and hit his head on the floor or the edge of the tub.  There would likely be some blood, hair and the like on those objects.  Slipping and falling backwards against a hard surface like a tile floor could easily cause the kinds of injuries described.

Obviously, Saget didn't realize how seriously he was injured, reports are that he was in the bed and appeared as if he'd fallen asleep as usual.  He may have been a bit disoriented and not thinking clearly at the time and figured he could sleep it off.  As I recall, Natasha Richardson did the same.

• Useful 10
  • Love 6
13 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

Obviously, Saget didn't realize how seriously he was injured, reports are that he was in the bed and appeared as if he'd fallen asleep as usual.  He may have been a bit disoriented and not thinking clearly at the time and figured he could sleep it off.  As I recall, Natasha Richardson did the same.

Dr. G Medical Examiner, (the best show in the world!) just showed an old episode where the cause of death was a subdural hematoma from a slight bump on the head.  She mentioned it happens more often than you might realize.

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, cynicat said:

Dr. G Medical Examiner, (the best show in the world!) just showed an old episode where the cause of death was a subdural hematoma from a slight bump on the head.  She mentioned it happens more often than you might realize.

Another common reaction to possible severe injury (or near drowning or being mugged etc.) is to be embarrassed and not want others to make a fuss. This too happens more often than one might realize.

Further, the New York Times article notes he was on 2 prescription medications that are known to cause falls——which also happens more frequently than those taking them or prescribing them seem to take seriously.

• Useful 12
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Further, the New York Times article notes he was on 2 prescription medications that are known to cause falls——which also happens more frequently than those taking them or prescribing them seem to take seriously.

They won’t let me open that. Paywall. Could you please tell the the two medications? Thank you. 

21 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

They won’t let me open that. Paywall. Could you please tell the the two medications? Thank you. 

Here's a snippet where they are mentioned...

No alcohol or illegal drugs were detected in the actor’s system, according to the autopsy. But there were signs of Clonazepam, commonly known as Klonopin, a benzodiazepine that is used to prevent seizures and treat panic attacks. Tests also found Trazodone, an antidepressant, the report said.

• Useful 7
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Rootbeer said:

The sort of fractures caused by a blow to the head with a blunt object would generally not look the same as those caused by falling and hitting his head.  The coroner also noted he had an abrasion on the back of his head consistent with a fall.  I think there is also a good possibility that the police found some sign in the room that he fell and hit his head on the floor or the edge of the tub.  There would likely be some blood, hair and the like on those objects.  Slipping and falling backwards against a hard surface like a tile floor could easily cause the kinds of injuries described.

That makes sense:  that’s a helpful explanation.  When I read the story on Yahoo News before coming here, they were heavily citing a Daily Mail (I know, trash) report and it read as more “sinister” than that, claiming in the story that a doctor said the injuries in the autopsy appeared consistent with a blow to the skull with “a baseball bat or falling 20 to 30 feet.”  But those ritzy hotels have those super-hard granite, tile or marble floors and tubs, so if your feet get out from under you, you could really smack your head hard on one of the surfaces.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Jaded said:

Here's a snippet where they are mentioned...

Both Clonazepam and Trazodone are sedatives, too, so they may have caused him to sleep more deeply and not be easily aroused. 

Trazodone, aside from treating depression, is often used for insomnia.  Saget was traveling, sleeping in hotels, performing late at night and in a different time zone.  He may have taken the Trazodone to make sure he'd sleep.

Clonazepam is often taken to relieve nerves before a big event like giving a speech.  I believe Saget had just started his first stand-up tour in many years.  He might've taken it to help him relax and perform.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Useful 12
35 minutes ago, Peace 47 said:

But those ritzy hotels have those super-hard granite, tile or marble floors and tubs, so if your feet get out from under you, you could really smack your head hard on one of the surfaces.

Yes unfortunately I could see a hard fall on the tub causing a lot of damage.

My grandpa fell about 10 years ago and sustained a severe concussion. Granted, it was off a ladder rather than from the floor but still. He fortunately didn't have a skull fracture from it, but he was very disoriented. He knew who we were but had no clue what had happened to him or what day it was. He kept telling us not to call an ambulance and that he just wanted to lie down. I overruled him and my grandmother, who was panicking and unsure of what to do, and called 911. Fortunately, he was ultimately okay, though it took him several hours to regain his senses. His cognitive abilities, like his short-term memory, have never quite been the same, though. 

But based on that incident, I could totally see how Saget may have sustained a nasty fall and his response, while alone, was just to want to go to sleep and be left alone, completely oblivious to how severe the fall was. He may have been like my grandpa and came to unaware that he'd fallen. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
7 hours ago, BetterButter said:

I’m crushed. He helped give us so many greats, not just Ghostbusters. There was also Meatballs, Stripes, Twins, Dave,  Animal House, Kindergarden Cop, Beethoven…he even was the motion capture stand-in for a certain cameo in Ghostbusters Afterlife. 

See you on the other side, Ivan. 

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I’m crushed. He helped give us so many greats, not just Ghostbusters. There was also Meatballs, Stripes, Twins, Dave,  Animal House, Kindergarden Cop, Beethoven…he even was the motion capture stand-in for a certain cameo in Ghostbusters Afterlife. 

See you on the other side, Ivan. 

I just watched Animal House Saturday and Ivan was in the special features talking about  making Animal House.  I loved his movies.  Always so funny.  Now I want to watch Stripes.

• Love 12

Bob Saget having more than one skull fracture doesn’t seem sinister.  He could have slipped and hit his head on the sink and then the floor or tub.  Or hit his head and then tried to get up and fell again.  He may not have even realized he fell twice, if he was disoriented.

When I was in high school,  I fainted in our bathroom and just barely missed both the front of the toilet and the tub.   Why I thought it was a good idea to look in the mirror at the bloody hole where my tooth had been I will never know. 🤷‍♀️ 

• Useful 1
  • Love 11

I don’t understand the whole Saget autopsy thing.  No one in his circle (wife, kids, ex-wife, friends, extended family, etc.) has expressed any doubt/concern about his cause or manner of death.  Why in the hell should anyone else have any access to his autopsy/medical records?  I would think if there truly was something fishy about what happened, someone would have spoken up by now.  He seemed to have so many friends who loved him, not to mention his wife & kids, that I have an extremely hard time believing that one of them would not have come forward to say “But it doesn’t make sense that …”

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 11

Falling, hitting your head, and dying in your sleep must be more common than we know, since there’s even a nursery rhyme about it.  “He bumped his head, went to bed, and couldn’t get up in the morning.”

• Useful 4
  • Love 15

I feel so bad for Bob Saget’s widow and children. Its bad enough to be mourning an unexpected death. Having to deal with all these conspiracy theories surrounding the way he died isn’t fair. Hopefully the world moves on with the next big news story.

• Love 17
9 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I don’t understand the whole Saget autopsy thing.  No one in his circle (wife, kids, ex-wife, friends, extended family, etc.) has expressed any doubt/concern about his cause or manner of death.  Why in the hell should anyone else have any access to his autopsy/medical records?  I would think if there truly was something fishy about what happened, someone would have spoken up by now.  He seemed to have so many friends who loved him, not to mention his wife & kids, that I have an extremely hard time believing that one of them would not have come forward to say “But it doesn’t make sense that …”

They shouldn't,  but Florida has Sunshine laws where everything is public if you want to see it.  It pretty much socks that family has to sue to keep them private.

This has been going on for years.  In 2001 Dale Earnhardt died at the Daytona 500 and his widow had to sue because "investigators"from the Orlando Sentinel wanted autopsy photos to show what happened to him.

1 hour ago, jennifer6973 said:

This has been going on for years.  In 2001 Dale Earnhardt died at the Daytona 500 and his widow had to sue because "investigators"from the Orlando Sentinel wanted autopsy photos to show what happened to him.

And though it didn't happen in Florida, David Carradine's death is a pretty good example of how, if the media can get ahold of either death scene or autopsy pictures, many will disseminate them. And once they're on the internet, they are there forever. 

32 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

I remember when the internet first became a big thing Chris Farley's autopsy report was online.  Why?  Who needs to read that?

Some are morbidly curious, some are fans, others might even be amateur investigators thinking they could find something.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, magicdog said:

Some are morbidly curious, some are fans, others might even be amateur investigators thinking they could find something.  

People watch those videos of journalists being beheaded. There is no understanding the fascination people have with violent death. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

59 is too young, especially for someone whose life has so much to offer the world--doing the behind-the-scenes stuff that makes the magic happen. 
3 kids left fatherless too. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Brenner_(film_editor)
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0107463/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

Jamal Edwards, SBTV founder and music entrepreneur, dies aged 31.

Edwards was also a director, author, DJ, entrepreneur and designer, and was awarded an MBE in 2014 – when he was 24 – for his work in music.

The careers of some of the world’s most successful musicians – including Ed Sheeran, Dave and Jessie J in a long list – were launched through SBTV, Edwards’ platform, which began as a YouTube channel, before they were signed by major labels.

1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Former Miss Alabama’s death said to be from tragic accident in Florida, said to be a fall from her third floor balcony!  There was no elaboration. Article says there was a call about a possible suicide attempt…..I’m not sure how this all adds up.  

https://people.com/human-interest/miss-alabama-zoe-bethel-death-was-tragic-accident-police-say/

Oh, I hope the authorities are looking VERY carefully at this one. 

• Useful 3

Frank Pesce, a beloved character actor whose many credits included Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop, Paradise Alley, and Flashdance, died Feb. 6 due to complications of dementia. He was 75.

A native of New York City, Pesce began his showbiz career in the late 1970s, landing guest roles on the crime dramas Police Story and Kojak. He'd go on to appear in such '80s and '90s TV staples as Knight Rider, The Greatest American Hero, Miami Vice, Matlock, and Who's the Boss?

9 hours ago, BetterButter said:

The Amazing Johnathan, Celebrated Comic-Magician and Las Vegas Stalwart, Dead at 63

We got the initial report and he was in poor health in recent years.  Seems he hadn't performed in at least 7 years and retired from performing around 2014.  It's a shame because he was funny as all get out!  

• Love 1

According to the linked article he returned to performing in 2017.

Szeles, however, lived well past that year and actually returned to performing in 2017. In 2019, he was the subject of a documentary, The Amazing Johnathan Documentary, directed by Ben Berman, which examined his career, a possible comeback, and his illness — yet it also openly wondered whether Szeles, who was using meth during filming, had actually faked his terminal diagnosis.

Berman suggests that possibility to his subject during a particularly tense scene. “Are you disappointed I’m not dying in your time frame?” Szeles asks, before walking out on the interview.