Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, slowpoked said:

And for those who can and are able to do so, the #BettyWhiteChallenge is ongoing today

image.thumb.jpeg.8bcad82d5ac37e56d75dfce133da5bee.jpeg

I did my donation, but I did $100 in honor of how old she would have been.  

Five dollar donations are a nice gesture, but as someone who works in non-profit, they don't amount to much once the credit card companies take their fees, a portion is allocated to overhead, etc.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 11

White — who died Dec. 31 after suffering a mild stroke several days earlier — introduced the documentary Betty White: A Celebration, which had a one-day theatrical run on Jan. 17, what would have been her 100th birthday. "I just wanted to thank you for coming to my party," said White, who recorded the message at her home in the Brentwood neighborhood of Los Angeles, where she passed away. "I also want to thank you for all the support you give me. Thank you so much… I'm remembered."

The documentary's producers, Steve Boettcher and Mike Trinklein, had filmed with White for years, first as part of the PBS docuseries Pioneers of Television and more recently as they created this doc, a shorter version of which first aired in 2018. Boettcher tells EW they will not be publicly releasing the video of White and that they have turned down offers by various outlets and streamers to buy it. 

https://ew.com/movies/betty-white-100th-birthday-documentary-final-on-camera-appearance/

I hope the producers eventually change their minds. It would be nice for a lot more people to eventually see this movie. I would have loved to take my grandma to watch yesterday, but due to Covid concerns for her, we decided to skip it. Someone upthread also mentioned weather issues, so it would be unfortunate to be able to lose a chance to see this forever due to things out of the audience's control. 

30 minutes ago, madmax said:

I did my donation, but I did $100 in honor of how old she would have been.  

Five dollar donations are a nice gesture, but as someone who works in non-profit, they don't amount to much once the credit card companies take their fees, a portion is allocated to overhead, etc.  

I think the $5 came about so that more people can feel they can participate in it. I also did more on my end because I can and able to do so, but I think the amount is set so low so that those who want to do it, but cannot contribute a lot, can participate and still feel like they made a difference in joining a worthwhile cause.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 19
37 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

I think the $5 came about so that more people can feel they can participate in it. I also did more on my end because I can and able to do so, but I think the amount is set so low so that those who want to do it, but cannot contribute a lot, can participate and still feel like they made a difference in joining a worthwhile cause.

Exactly.  Not everyone can afford even close to a $100 donation and, besides, every little bit helps.  

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Exactly.  Not everyone can afford even close to a $100 donation and, besides, every little bit helps.  

Those who can spare more and have the good nature to do so, like @madmax and @slowpoked, will.  The $5 invitation gets more people there- and helps the word spread- but once there it's a nice thing for people to give what they can (especially since as mentioned the funding pages do charge plenty for each donation processed.)  Betty would be proud. 

OIP.wnu7SqmtNsSCe9HOXTuEQwHaGN?pid=ImgDe

• Love 19
6 hours ago, Drogo said:

Those who can spare more and have the good nature to do so, like @madmax and @slowpoked, will.  The $5 invitation gets more people there- and helps the word spread- but once there it's a nice thing for people to give what they can (especially since as mentioned the funding pages do charge plenty for each donation processed.)  Betty would be proud. 

OIP.wnu7SqmtNsSCe9HOXTuEQwHaGN?pid=ImgDe

And these are the results of people’s generosity and their love for Betty:

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/betty-white-challenge-metro-detroit-animal-shelters-receive-tens-of-thousands-of-dollars-in-donations.amp

https://www.10tv.com/amp/article/news/local/columbus-animal-shelters-raise-thousands-in-honor-of-betty-white/530-ffb80719-0f3d-4a83-a388-25a7deb510a9

https://www.newschannel5.com/news/betty-white-challenge-brings-in-more-than-30-000-for-nashville-humane?_amp=true

• Love 18
7 hours ago, slowpoked said:

6 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

6 hours ago, Drogo said:

Believe me,  I totally understand that every little bit helps; like I said, I work non-profit.  But out of that $5, maybe half goes to actually help the animals once fees/overhead/etc. are taken out.

And I guarantee you that whoever has to process those $5 donations is rolling their eyes at every single one.

• Love 5

Miss Mimieux  who born in Los Angeles to a French father (Rene Mimieux )and a Mexican mother (Carmen Montemayor) was more than a pretty face, she actually had one of the most brilliant and prescient quotes about fame that I've ever read (and YouTubers and 'reality' TV folks,etc. would do well to consider the following):

"There are tribes in Africa who believe that a camera steals a little part of your soul, and in a way, I think that's true about living your private life in public. It takes something away from your relationships; it cheapens them."

RIP, Miss Mimieux

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/yvette_mimieux_865199

• Love 12

I had wondered about Andre Leon Talley's health the last few years every time I saw him. 

Sidney Poitier’s Cause Of Death Revealed.

Sidney Poitier died in early January from a combination of cardiopulmonary failure, prostate cancer and Alzheimer’s dementia, according to a death certificate issued by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health. The document was made public today.

There's a trifecta you don't want.

• Useful 1
56 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

There's a trifecta you don't want.

But one that, at 94, you're likely to have (as a man [the prostate cancer prong]).  At least he died at home, with his family present.

I can't find a more recent public appearance than 2017, at the TCM Classic Film Festival when In the Heat of the Night's 50th anniversary was celebrated and he participated in the Q&A, but his daughter posted a picture of him playing on the beach with his granddaughter a year ago.  So it seems he was doing physically well for most of his 94 years, but I hope he - and his family - didn't suffer the ravages of dementia for terribly long before his heart - the cause of death, with dementia and prostate cancer being listed as underlying health issues - gave out.

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 9

R.I.P. Mr. Talley.  You were a force.  

Obituaries from the fashion industry:  

WWD:

https://wwd.com/business-news/media/fashion-journalist-andre-leon-tally-dead-at-1235039207/

British Vogue:

https://www.vogue.co.uk/news/article/andre-leon-talley-vogue-died

GQ:

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/fashion/article/andre-leon-talley-obituary

Tweet from Diane von Furstenberg:

HF Twit Met Gala tweet:

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 4
41 minutes ago, MissAlmond said:

Horrible news! Gone way, way too soon. Loved him in Xavier Dolan's It's Only the End of the World, which he won the César Award for Best Actor. Gorgeous and talented. R.I.P!

• Love 1

Poor Andre.  His health had been on the decline for a while.  His book The Chiffon Trenches is an eye opening account of the fashion industry, particularly his relationships with Anna and Karl Lagerfeld.  He had an eye for true fashion.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, MissAlmond said:

Good lord. My husband just got so excited seeing the Moon Knight trailer a couple of days ago, and now this. 

It's only mid-month, so January, can you let up a little bit?!

• Love 8

Opera singer Maria Ewing has died, age 71.

https://www.npr.org/sections/deceptivecadence/2022/01/11/1072186661/opera-singer-maria-ewing-dead

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2022-01-12/opera-singer-maria-ewing-dies-at-71

Ewing's family history of "passing" was the inspiration behind Rebecca Hall (Ewing's daughter) decision to direct the recent Netflix film Passing based on Nella Larsen's novel.  

Edited by MissAlmond
On 1/18/2022 at 9:21 PM, MerBearHou said:

A broken heart had to hasten Andre Leon Talley’s death.  What a force of nature he was.  Anna W treated him so, so coldly after all of their years together.  

Can you expand on this?  I can't find anything online.  (Maybe for the best, in which case, ignore.)

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Leeds said:

Can you expand on this?  I can't find anything online.  (Maybe for the best, in which case, ignore.)

Try Anna Wintour Andre Leon Talley drama. There are a ton of articles. 

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
39 minutes ago, Leeds said:

According to Andre (and Anna has alluded that it's true), in recent years Anna cut him off from their friendship.  It was Andre's perception that she thought he was "too old, too fat, too uncool".  They had been so close and he was a Vogue fixture for ages.  

• Love 1

Oh, damn. Wow. Sad to hear that news.

My mom had the song "Paradise by the Dashboard Light" on a mix tape - I remember hearing that song all the time when I was a kid. I imagine she and my dad probably had a couple of his albums, too. 

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Singer/actor Meat Loaf. :( I rarely admit to my guilty pleasures, but yes. He was one of them. I remember buying Back Into Hell on tape back in 1993, and that's still my favourite album from him.

This cuts right to my teenage self, singing along to BOH, along w/friends, on our way to the beach w/some (illegally obtained) beer.  We’d sing ‘Paradise Bythe Dashboard Light’ on the way down there, loudly and out of tune.  But oh, was it so much fun and freeing.

RIP Mr. Aday.  At least you didn’t go out the way of ‘Eddie’

• Love 15

Poor Meat Loaf. Apparently he’s had health problems for a while, so maybe this wasn’t unexpected but JFC it’s only the third week of January, give us a break!

Fun fact: he was going to be the backup casting for Bluto in Animal House if John Belushi could take the role.

Gonna listen to “Hot Patootie” and “I Will Do Anything For Love” for tribute.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 11

Aw, Meat. That sucks. His music was a total pleasure, not a guilty pleasure. The man had talent, and he seemed like a truly good guy. (I base that on his "Behind the Music" episode, where I found him relatable and funny and so appreciative of his fame.)

• Love 18
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Poor Meat Loaf. Apparently he’s had health problems for a while, so maybe this wasn’t unexpected but JFC it’s only the third week of January, give us a break!

TMZ is reporting that he died from COVID

The singer's manager, Michael Greene, confirmed Meat Loaf died Thursday night. Sources with knowledge tell TMZ ... he was supposed to attend a business dinner earlier this week for a show he's working on -- "I'd Do Anything for Love" -- but the dinner was canceled because he became seriously ill with COVID. Sources tell us that condition quickly became critical.

Our sources say Meat Loaf has been outspoken about COVID, railing with folks in Australia recently about vaccine mandates. We do not know if he was vaccinated.

It says in that article that he died of Covid with his family by his side.  If true things are handled differently where he was because most people I know of who have died of Covid did so without anyone other than a nurse by their side.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Meatloaf was a story teller in song.  I loved the dramatics. 

12 minutes ago, mishy said:

Louie Anderson has died

Oh man.  This hurts.  I was just thinking about him recently.  And then some local shows started sharing that he was suffering from cancer but it was "aggressive but treatable."  However, something made me think he might be sicker because the description of the announcement was that he was "resting comfortable." 

1 hour ago, SusannahM said:

It says in that article that he died of Covid with his family by his side.  If true things are handled differently where he was because most people I know of who have died of Covid did so without anyone other than a nurse by their side.

Nowadays, what with most people being vaccinated, they've been able to ease up on visitor restrictions for COVID patients.  Even in the earlier days, though, a lot of hospitals would allow families in as their relatives were dying.

• Useful 7