Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

Not to beat this dead horse (and social media ain't helping with constant back and forth between Chachi and Erin's family, spreading the misinformation even more), and not that I give any fucks about him, but why doesn't Chachi clarify/correct that it wasn't him who said "if you drink and do drugs then you're gonna die" but the ones who interviewed him who said it and AV Club attributed it to him? Because now The Wrap attributed it to him along with the heroin overdose and now he's in a Twitter war with her brothers over saying BOTH, and Chachi claiming it's all because he's a 45 supporter. And because of this, now this heroin overdose has been incorporated into her cancer and all mashed up as the reason for her death.????

• Love 5
On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:32 AM, MrSmith said:

I appreciate all the extra context, @Drogo. That said, he still tweeted what he tweeted and, as far as I'm concerned, he deserves the heat he's getting for it. The reason my position is such is that this is why you don't say things like that using a medium or in a situation where you're unable to supply all the context that is required for people to correctly understand your intent - and he should know this. As my Sophomore and Junior year high school English teacher always said: If the message you're trying to deliver is not understood, the failure to communicate rests entirely with you - not with your audience.

I think Baio's biggest mistake was forgetting that as a celebrity that he doesn't have an anonymous internet identity to hide behind.

He was not the only one speculating on the manner of her death and rehashing the gossip/scandal of her adult life by any stretch.

• Love 2

Believe it or not, we have never seen Silence of the Lambs.  But Philadelphia was a great movie.  The story, acting, score, cinematography.  And it made you really see the people affected by AIDS.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

Did he have cancer?  I thought it was heart disease.

Esophageal cancer (according to his publicist's statement), but the article linked above cites a family source saying the cancer plus complications from heart disease.

I didn't know until reading an obit that his nephew was the director Ted Demme(The Ref, Beautiful Girls, Blow) who died of a heart attack in 2002. The Truth about Charlie Jonathan's remake of Charade is dedicated to his memory.

• Love 1
On 4/26/2017 at 6:28 PM, merylinkid said:

RIP Jonathan Demme.   He was an awesome director with an incredible range.

Seriously?!?  I'm the only one that loves Caged Heat?  and Citizen's Band?  RIP indeed sir.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Wow, I always liked him. I'm old enough to remember what I think was his breakout role as Jim Jones in the People's Temple movie back in '79 or '80 (I Think, it was a long time ago !) He really channeled Jones in that, it was kind of scary. Also just re-watched Frailty when they put it on Netflix recently. Great movie.

68 isn't really that old these days. Did he have cancer or something that we didn't know about ?

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, willco said:

68 isn't really that old these days. Did he have cancer or something that we didn't know about ?

Initial reports say he passed from natural causes, but what those causes are is unclear. He did pass away in his sleep, though, so he went peacefully. 

That really sucks. After losing Bill Paxton earlier this year, another Agents of SHIELD villain alumni, I was just waiting for that next celebrity death to hit me. I had no idea it would be Powers Boothe.

Boothe also played Curly Bill Brocius in 1993's Tombstone, where he deadpanned a farewell to Kurt Russell's Wyatt Earp.

Earp: "I just want you to know that...it's done. We're leaving."
Brocius: "Well....bye."

RIP, sir, you somehow managed to make being a jerk humorous.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, willco said:

Wow, I always liked him. I'm old enough to remember what I think was his breakout role as Jim Jones in the People's Temple movie back in '79 or '80 (I Think, it was a long time ago !) He really channeled Jones in that, it was kind of scary. Also just re-watched Frailty when they put it on Netflix recently. Great movie.

It's like Steve Railsback. All I remember from him is playing a great Charles Manson in "Helter Skelter".

• Love 1
(edited)

Charley  Boorman, currently renowned for his epic motorcyle journeys has commented on Mr. Boothe's death on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/charleyboorman

It didn't become a huge blockbuster hit (and ,for all its earnest appeals   to preserve rain forests and their original inhabitants,at times was a bit hokey). However; it is definitely worth checking out "Emerald Forest" in which Mr. Boothe played a US hydroelectric dam engineer in Brazil who discovers that his longlost son played by Boorman has embraced the culture that took him as a child. I won't give the entire plot away but their reunion at a waterfall is quite an epic moment.  RIP, Mr. Boothe.

Edited by Blergh
colon addition
10 hours ago, Drogo said:

Such a brilliant actor, a perfect villain.  He was a real presence in Deadwood and Blue Sky. 

I remember him [Powers Boothe] best as Curly Bill Brocius in Tombstone with Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, and Bill Paxton (among others).

13 hours ago, willco said:

He won his Emmy for playing Jim Jones. It was in what I think is now, if it wasn't then, a category in the TV Movie/Limited Series genre (like maybe where the FX OJ Simpson project was placed in at the most recent Emmys). And he crossed a picket line (either an actors or writers strike) to attend the ceremony &, it turned out, to collect his Emmy.

From the way celebrities are responding to the death of Powers Boothe, he was the exact opposite of all the evil people that he portrayed.  It seems like he's in our house every weekend because Tombstone is always playing on one channel or another (and my husband must stop and watch it, no matter that he's seen it six bazillion times).  And we were huge Deadwood fans.  

Rest well, sir, you will be missed.

• Love 3
(edited)

I was just listening to one of the amazing cover versions Chris did the other day.  Not only was he a great singer and musician in his own right -- someone with true, real talent (unlike so many singers and artists these days) -- but he had an incredible way of taking other people's songs and doing something totally different with them, making them his own.  He covered Led Zeppelin, Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson -- so many.    He was great at it.   In fact, I think he did a live cover version of "I Will Always Love You" right after Whitney died, although it was a little rough because he hadn't rehearsed it.

Another one gone way, way, way too soon.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 5

This is shaking me more than I thought it would - I actually thought it was a hoax when I saw the headline on Facebook, until I saw it came from a legit news source. Ugh, this breaks my heart; Soundgarden got me through some tough times. 

• Love 6