Type keyword(s) to search

In Memoriam: Entertainment Industry Celebrity Deaths

Message added by Mr. Sparkle,

Reminder:

This thread is for deaths of celebrities in the entertainment business only. No notices about politicians, please. 

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Inquisitionist said:

Taylor didn't have any children after Liza Todd -- Mike Todd had her sterilized while she was still under anesthetic from that difficult delivery.  She'd previously had two children with Michael Wilding. 

Wow, how did I not know that? And how did she not kill him when she woke up and found out what he had done?

• Love 11

Are you fucking kidding me? Really? Goddammit.

RIP Debbie, along with Singin' in the Rain and Charlotte's Web, my favorite performance of hers was in Mother with Albert Brooks.

God, I think she's the last major star to go out from MGM's heyday, when they had "more stars than there are in the heavens."

Edited by Popples
Fixed past vs. present tense
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, Inquisitionist said:

Taylor didn't have any children after Liza Todd -- Mike Todd had her sterilized while she was still under anesthetic from that difficult delivery.  She'd previously had two children with Michael Wilding. 

She didn't physically have anymore children after Liza Todd, but her Wikipedia page says Richard Burton adopted Liza Todd, & also adopted a daughter they named Maria Burton. She was a German orphan, born in 1961, who Elizabeth started the adoption procedure for when she was still married to Eddie Fisher. So I was almost right about Carrie & Todd having a half-sibling through their dad & Elizabeth Taylor (& I said I wasn't positive about that anyway).

Is this sad? Yes. Do I feel for her son & granddaughter? Yes. Has this been a hard year as far as celebrities passing away? Hell yes. But at 84, she lived a very long life, and it seems pretty clear she wanted to be with her daughter. I can't begrudge her that. RIP.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

She didn't physically have anymore children after Liza Todd, but her Wikipedia page says Richard Burton adopted Liza Todd, & also adopted a daughter they named Maria Burton. She was a German orphan, born in 1961, who Elizabeth started the adoption procedure for when she was still married to Eddie Fisher. So I was almost right about Carrie & Todd having a half-sibling through their dad & Elizabeth Taylor (& I said I wasn't positive about that anyway).

Thanks, BW.  I had forgotten about her adopted daughter with Burton.

I feel devastated for Billie Lourd. To be 24 years old and to lose your mother with whom you were close with is heartbreaking enough, but to lose your grandmother the very next day? And all this happening around holiday season? That poor girl. I cannot even imagine how she is going to get through this.

RIP Debbie.....I really hope you were reunited with Carrie in the afterlife somewhere and she is giving you total shit for eclipsing her "death" news story.

• Love 11
9 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

I feel devastated for Billie Lourd. To be 24 years old and to lose your mother with whom you were close with is heartbreaking enough, but to lose your grandmother the very next day? And all this happening around holiday season? That poor girl. I cannot even imagine how she is going to get through this.

RIP Debbie.....I really hope you were reunited with Carrie in the afterlife somewhere and she is giving you total shit for eclipsing her "death" news story.

Thankfully she still has her father, his partner, her uncle & aunts.

I hope Todd has a supportive extended family as well.

If it's a double funeral, Hollywood will be shut down for the day.

PS:  Not to take anything away from Ms. Reynolds, but Mary Pickford was the original Anerica's Sweetheart.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Constantinople said:

Something similar happened earlier this month in Australia.  Geoegia Blain, a novelist, died on December 9th from brain cancer, 3 days short of her 52nd birthday.  3 days later her mother, Anne Deveson, a writer and social activist, died at the age of 86, I believe from complications due to Alzheimer's.

1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

That's heartbreaking, too.  :-(

Similar thing happened recently here in Dallas as well. Brian Loncar, a popular personal injury attorney in Texas (locally famous for his "Strong Arm" commercials) died two days after his teenaged daughter's funeral. Her cause of death was suicide but his autopsy results have not yet been released. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Holy shit.  That poor family.  Joely Fisher tweeted "God Speed Mama" like 3 hours ago so I wonder if it happened then and they only just announced it publicly.

It definitely says something re Miss Reynolds character that the younger Miss Fisher termed her'Mama' when she was NOT her mother but her own father's first wife and mother of her two eldest half-sibs.

Poor Todd Fisher and Billie Lourd losing these two shining lights in their immediate family barely a day apart! Now they may need  plan a double-service to salute both Old Hollywood AND Star Wars  . I can't help but think that mother-and-daughter may actually have been amused at the thought of that kind of double-funeral.

In any case, I'm glad that mother-and daughter WERE able to become genuine friends and like each other for whom each of them were rather than keep holding onto ancient grudges and misunderstandings. RIP, Unsinkable Mollie Brown.

• Love 13

That "Any Postcards From the Edge fan has to darkly appreciate the thunder stealing" tweet did, indeed, make me laugh for Debbie Reynolds and, especially, Carrie Fisher.  But I cannot imagine being Todd Fisher or Billie Lourd right now.  I read that Todd said pretty much the same thing of Billie:  "Carrie's daughter is 24 years old. To have to lose the girls, it's just horrible.  She's got their genes, but you can't even imagine. I can't imagine being 24 and having to do this, and I'm 59."

It has been a long time since I've felt this strongly for people I don't know, but to lose your sister and mother or mother and grandmother within barely more than 24 hours of each other -- I honestly can't wrap my mind around it.  It would have been hard enough had they, say, been in an accident together, and the possibility of losing both was known.  But first Carrie has an unexpected heart attack, they spend a few days waiting and hoping, making decisions, etc. and then she's gone, and then the very next day, in the midst of planning her funeral, they lose Debbie to another unexpected medical emergency.

• Love 22

Debbie Reynolds was of an age where I wouldn't normally think of her death as a tragedy, because she had lived a long and full life. However, under the circumstances, it's got to be extraordinarily devastating to both Todd Fisher and Billie Lourd. I saw the reports of Carrie Fisher being unresponsive for so long, and then there was no news on her condition other than that she was stable and on a ventilator. While I had hoped she would recover, as time passed and there was no word of her regaining consciousness, it seemed almost inevitable that she was not going to recover, and the family was simply waiting until they were ready to let her go. It must have been crushing for Debbie, and so while I'm not surprised that she died very soon after having to face her daughter's death, the double whammy of these two deaths is like a punch in the gut. I had seen Debbie in several roles and always enjoyed her, but Carrie was someone I admired for her writing and her openness about her mental health struggles. I can't fully imagine what it must be like for the family. The closest I can come to this is a situation I read about years ago, where there was a plane crash that killed everyone aboard, and one of the passengers was in fact flying to attend a funeral of a family member, so this family that was already having to deal with one death suddenly had to deal with another death in the family.

And although I know full well that 2016 is an artificial construct and incapable of influencing or causing events, 2016 as a whole has taken far too many iconic figures entirely too soon, while providing damn few positive events to balance things out.

• Love 21
5 hours ago, BookWoman56 said:

And although I know full well that 2016 is an artificial construct and incapable of influencing or causing events, 2016 as a whole has taken far too many iconic figures entirely too soon, while providing damn few positive events to balance things out.

I think this is what is so sad and so frightening.  So many cultural icons died this year AND we had an election that tore the country apart and there is much uncertainty as to what will happen in 2017.  

• Love 20

There have been a couple of comparable situations mentioned over the last page or two and the one that I keep thinking of is Jennifer Hudson.  News like this (a mother and child dying within 24 hours of each other) must shake her, and others who have been through it, a little. 

46 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

So many cultural icons died this year AND we had an election that tore the country apart and there is much uncertainty as to what will happen in 2017.  

I'm pretty sure that's why I cried at the news of Carrie even though she's not a celebrity that I followed much (but did enjoy the movies that she was in).  A lot of the celebrities were on the young side of old, too.

• Love 3

When my sister sent me this yesterday, it didn't even register with me that Debbie Reynolds was mentioned in the George Irving announcement, but it smacked me in the face when I reopened my email this morning and this was still in my preview window.

IrvingRIP.png

• Love 6

The death of Debbie Reynolds a day after her daughter died is devastating, on several levels. Ms. Reynolds was a true triple threat, as she proved in Singin in the Rain   alone and did for decades since. I've heard of spouses dying of broken hearts when their loved ones died, but never a parent dying after their child does.  My heart breaks for the family, but my heartbreak is nothing compared to theirs. 

RIP, Ms. Reynolds. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 5
39 minutes ago, AgentRXS said:

I was feeling pretty down this morning, thinking about poor Billie Lourd and what she must be going through.

I saw this meme  that made me smile a bit and thought I'd share what it said with you all because it made me think of this thread:

"It's become increasingly obvious that David Bowie has established a better alternate universe and is populating it selectively one-by-one." Just the thought of all those we lost rocking out in  Bowie-verse cheered me up a bit.

I saw a theory where Bowie was running an outer space bar populated by those we lost.

• Love 3

Former Atlanta Falcons safety Keion Carpenter died at age 39 from a brain aneurysm. He was rushed to a nearby hospital, but fell into a coma. It happened while Carpenter was on vacation with his family. Carpenter made his NFL debut with the Buffalo Bills in 1999 and was a graduate of Virginia Tech.

“He had a heart of gold. His work with The Carpenter House and other charitable organizations to help those in need truly embodied the Virginia Tech spirit,” said former Hokies head coach Frank Beamer.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

A lot of the celebrities were on the young side of old, too.

I think this is exactly why 2016 seems so horrible. It's one thing when someone in their 80s or 90s dies like Florence Henderson or John Glenn, it's sad, but they've had long lives. 2016 seems to have had a disproportionate amount of deaths of people in their middle ages or younger. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

There have been a couple of comparable situations mentioned over the last page or two and the one that I keep thinking of is Jennifer Hudson.  News like this (a mother and child dying within 24 hours of each other) must shake her, and others who have been through it, a little.

I don't know if it's comparable or not, because that was outright murder.  And of a 7yr old boy, not (just) an adult.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, GaT said:

2016 seems to have had a disproportionate amount of deaths of people in their middle ages or younger. 

A dear friend used to say that people who die young are getting 'early release, time off for good behavior.' To put a better spin on it, I guess.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, GaT said:

I think this is exactly why 2016 seems so horrible. It's one thing when someone in their 80s or 90s dies like Florence Henderson or John Glenn, it's sad, but they've had long lives. 2016 seems to have had a disproportionate amount of deaths of people in their middle ages or younger. 

Florence shocked me because while yes her age, days before she looked well. She was sitting at the DWTS finale and looked healthy enough. Days later she died. That's also why Carrie has shaken me as well, she was doing all these tv shows for her new book, less than four weeks ago.. and now? It just.. shocks me so much.

• Love 5

People die. Hearts give out.  Old age happens. It's the ridiculously tragic deaths that get to me.  Last year Anton Yelchin got pind by his own car.  Paul Walker death was also ridiculous in tragic nature but that wasn't this year.  I am not sure how many "ridiculously tragic" deaths there were this year.   

Still far too many stars I watched in my childhood have died this year.  

• Love 3

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/hbo-moves-up-carrie-fisher-debbie-reynolds-doc-air-date-deaths-959953

HBO's buzzy Bright Lights documentary is being moved up to a January 7 air date after the passing of its subjects, Hollywood icons Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds. 

The premium cabler had originally planned to air the documentary in March. The project, directed by Alexis Bloom and Fisher Stevens, premiered at the Cannes Film Festival in May, where Fisher promoted the title. 

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, maraleia said:

Is anyone else having as hard of a time coming to grips with Carrie Fisher's death as I am? I may never get over it for as long as I live.

Tonight at 10:00 p.m. 20/20 is airing a special tribute to both Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, maraleia said:

Is anyone else having as hard of a time coming to grips with Carrie Fisher's death as I am? I may never get over it for as long as I live.

But, wait, you don't even know who will die tomorrow!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, maraleia said:

It is tough.    I remember when Princess Diana died.   I was gutted.   It still hits me quite often.   It's not like I knew her or anything.   But somehow, even with her issues, she was gone far too soon.    Same with Carrie Fisher.   Made a huge difference to women, not just from the 70s but throughout the years.   Now she is gone and the world is a sadder place for it.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, maraleia said:

When I think of Carrie Fisher, I think of a summer afternoon and the excitement we felt when my sister, our friends and I walked from summer school to the local movie theater to see Star Wars for the first time.

Letting go of Carrie Fisher is like letting go of that summer afternoon.

• Love 10