Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E24: Winner Chosen

• Start Topic

The finale was a special event. It was the series finale in addition to being the series finale, so lots of people tuned in who didn't watch this past season.

Adam's Top 5 appearance was well-publicized as his farewell appearance on Idol, so any fans wanting to see him on the show one last time had that opportunity.  If they chose not to take it, that's on them. 

And that's it for me.  Geez, this is what happens when I can't sleep.  Insomnia's a bitch.

• Love 3

The finale was a special event. It was the series finale in addition to being the series finale, so lots of people tuned in who didn't watch this past season.

I don't understand your point. We're not talking about Rihanna or Taylor Swift - huge recording artists. Every single Idol alum who's achieved post-Idol success in the music business owes their success to the show. Not a single contestant was successful before auditioning for the show.

You're not a success in the music business because you win a singing competition.  That's why the prize is a recording contract.  That's what the contestants are competing and hoping for.  And even winning that doesn't mean you're successful, as I think Caleb Johnson and Candice Glover would agree.

This is why singing competition shows are criticized so much.  Especially The Voice.  Because there isn't enough focus on what it takes to sustain a career as a successful recording artist.  And being popular on the show means nothing if people don't buy your records once you've put one out or pay to see you perform live.  Viewers don't pay anything to watch the show and the don't pay anything to vote.  

I heard Jax do a radio interview shortly after her elimination, and wow - she was incredibly obnoxious. Totally impressed with herself, over-the-top cocky, and very condescending to the 2 interviewers, even though they were being very nice to her. She didn't trash AI, but she sure did praise herself. Over and over, and someone landing from another planet would have thought for sure that she was some kind of amazing superstar with a decades-long career. She went on and on about her talent and her fans and life in the public eye as though she was on some other level that mere mortals couldn't possibly understand. Talk about an ego out of control!

I was not far from where the interview was being done, and I really wanted to go there and smack her.

Wow, really? She didn't seem like that on the show. Any where I can hear or read this interview?

All past winners appeared on the finale along with the following contestants:

I don't think that's a complete list. Jasmine Trias, for instance, can be seen in the opening number off to the right (the girl with the flower in her hair). And looking through that list, nobody fits the girl I saw behind Melinda/Candice either (she was on the heavy side).

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't think that's a complete list. Jasmine Trias, for instance, can be seen in the opening number off to the right (the girl with the flower in her hair). And looking through that list, nobody fits the girl I saw behind Melinda/Candice either (she was on the heavy side).

I did some more looking and came up with this list:

Former contestants slated to make appearances on the finale episodes of the series include Kelly Clarkson, William Hung, Ruben Studdard, Fantasia, Carrie Underwood, Taylor Hicks, Jordin Sparks, David Cook, Kris Allen, Lee DeWyze, Scotty McCreery, Phillip Phillips, Candice Glover, Caleb Johnson, Nick Fradiani, Ace Young, Allison Iraheta, Amber Holcomb, Blake Lewis, Bo Bice, Brandon Rogers, Bucky Covington, Carly Smithson, Casey James, Chris Daughtry, Clark Beckham, Clay Aiken, Colton Dixon, Constantine Maroulis, Danny Gokey, David Archuleta, Diana DeGarmo, Elliott Yamin, George Huff, James Durbin, Jasmine Trias, Jennifer Hudson, Jessica Sanchez, Joshua Ledet, Justin Guarini, Katharine McPhee, Kellie Pickler, Kimberley Locke, Kree Harrison, LaToya London, Lauren Alaina, Melinda Doolittle, Mikalah Gordon, Pia Toscano, Sanjaya, Skylar Laine, and Tamyra Gray.

The ones in bold are the winners.  

Mikalah Gordon, maybe that's who you're talking about?

Edited by Dodginblue

I don't understand your point. We're not talking about Rihanna or Taylor Swift - huge recording artists. Every single Idol alum who's achieved post-Idol success in the music business owes their success to the show. Not a single contestant was successful before auditioning for the show.

The flipside of that argument is that this assumes they wouldn't have succeeded without the show.

Kelly Clarkson, if I recall, already had her name on music execs desks and I think was cast for Idol Season 1 simply because the producers had heard of her that way. She very well may have broken through anyway, in other words.

And lets not forget the people who were ditched from the show pretty quickly and yet are reasonable successes now.  A partial list: Best New Artist nominee this year, Tori Kelly. Hillary Scott, frontwoman of multi-Grammy winning act Lady Antebellum. Mary Lambert--who's not a huge star admittedly but many people will know (from that Macklemore & Ryan Lewis song Same Love, at the very least). Both Amber Riley AND Naya Rivera from Glee. Actor Alan Ritchson--who proves the idea that if you don't succeed at one branch of showbiz (singing) then maybe acting will work out for you.  That's just off the top of my head--I know the list is probably four or five times that size.

• Love 2

Wow, really? She didn't seem like that on the show. Any where I can hear or read this interview?

I have a strong feeling Jax got burned really bad after Idol. That could change you for the worst. Borchetta seemed to love her on the show and always pimping her, he got her the gig to sing the National Anthem at NASCAR, she even mentioned wanting to get an apt.in Nashville. She obviously didn't get signed and seems very bitter now.

I loved seeing Elliott Yamin return. He schooled the others in the soul medley by far. I wish they had him sing a duet with Melinda Doolittle. That would have been on fire.

Great to see Kelly, Tamyra (what was up with that red hair?!), Clay, Ruben, Bo, Latoya, and Jordin return as well. I could have done without all the J.Lo(pez), Pia/Jessica, WGWG Bowie, Kara, William Hung segments.

I wish Trenyce, Vonzell, Mandisa and Paris would have made an appearance as well.

Constantine is still a camera whore. How he ended up doing a bit part in the country medley is so wrong. If a soul Idol pulled out of appearing, would you ask Constantine to take his place too?

I never cared for Carrie or Katharine in their respective seasons but it's hilarious to see the Idol pimpage still working its magic on the beautiful while the ugly are tossed aside into bit parts.

• Love 2

All this back and forth over Adam not being there Thursday night, wow! Now, I watched the "American Dream" retrospective on Tuesday night, and Adam was all over that. So for me, that was sufficient. Sure, it would've been great if he'd been on the finale on Thursday, but...there was SO much jammed into those two hours that if he had been there, he'd have sung one song and that would've been it. It almost would have been more frustrating. For example, I love, love, love KLo - seeing her sing 'Eighth World Wonder' made me very nostalgic and left me wanting so much more, which of course was impossible. Same with seeing Clay - I was thrilled that he got a solo but it was so fleeting, as were all the performances. There just wasn't enough time to highlight so many people. The show could've easily been four hours, and that would have been amazing. So while I absolutely missed Adam, I felt that seeing him on the retrospective show two nights earlier was OK for me. I don't any impression or reason to think that he was intentionally snubbing the show. It is what it is. We each have our favorite performers and there were just too many participants to give each of them dedicated time. I also really like P2 and would have truly enjoyed a solo performance but that wasn't happening either. I think they did the best they could under the limitations they had. Some things worked and some didn't. 

• Love 5

The finale was the last desperate gasp of a show that went seven seasons too long. If people really cared about a particular contestant they could have kept up with that person by googling them and finding out upcoming appearances. They would have known Adam was on just a few weeks before and watched or DVR'd accordingly. If they didn't care enough to keep up, oh well.

The contestants fulfilled their duties during their respective seasons, they don't owe the show anything and are not obligated to come back. It's nice if they do but I don't hold it against anyone who chose not to.

• Love 2

Added: No Casey Abrams or Haley Reinhart?

They don't need Idol. They're doing what they love instead of chasing some mediocre pop star dream and doing fine in the process.

• Love 1
(edited)

Adam's Top 5 appearance was well-publicized as his farewell appearance on Idol, so any fans wanting to see him on the show one last time had that opportunity.  If they chose not to take it, that's on them. 

And that's it for me.  Geez, this is what happens when I can't sleep.  Insomnia's a bitch.

The finale was a once in a lifetime, history making show that got tons of media coverage.  It was fun seeing the alums coming together days before the show in rehearsal hanging out.  Lots of fun, behind the scene stuff.  Pics of Kris, Allison, Danny reuniting.  BTW, David Cook also had a guest spot a few weeks ago, but his WGWG group tribute to David Bowie got way more press attention. 

Edited by ifoundit
  • Love 2

Has anyone ever figured out why Jason Castro wasn't there?? (I am dying to know!)

Also, does anyone know what Elliot Yamin is up to?

Those 2 were two of my favorites from past seasons.

As far as Adam not being there (another of my favorites), that doesn't bother me at all, but no tribute to Michael Johns does.

• Love 1

The finale was a once in a lifetime, history making show that got tons of media coverage.  It was fun seeing the alums coming together days before the show in rehearsal hanging out.  Lots of fun, behind the scene stuff.  Pics of Kris, Allison, Danny reuniting.  BTW, David Cook also had a guest spot a few weeks ago, but his WGWG group tribute to David Bowie got way more press attention.

Exactly. The finale was a huge reunion for the fans and all the past singers and folks associated with the show. Of all the high profile people from the show over 14 seasons, Mariah Carey was the only judge that didn't make an appearance, and Adam was the only contestant no-show. (I'm a huge Crystal Bowersox fan, but even I would concede she's not high profile). So this sticks out. No one's scratching their heads over Mariah, but Adam passing makes me wonder.

I wonder if maybe there's some personal reason, i.e. maybe there's someone from his group he doesn't want to see, or maybe he didn't like whatever idea they had planned for him. Adam's very strong-minded about everything he does, so I can see him saying no to something that doesn't feel right to him. Just speculating.

• Love 1

I will miss this show.  That's how the finale made me feel.

Loved seeing all the familiar faces.   I have watched this show since the beginning.   Root hard for my favorites to win (which doesn't happen often LOL).  Then when the show is over I root for everyone to find success with what the love :)  

It was fun to see everyone again.  Would have never guessed that was Bo.  Loved seeing Justin too!  Idol hasn't been kind to him JMHO.   Some people I really didn't recognize at first and the camera went by people so fast!

Sad that I could not hear Melinda at all.

• Love 2
Clay doesn't sing much anymore.  These days you will find him talking politics on CNN.

Oh, that's right. Clay ran for public office in S. C. but didn't win. Thanks for that reminder, I had forgotten.

I can't recognize Adam Lambert any more since he turned his hair normal. I liked it when it was black and he was all goth-like. So maybe he WAS there somewhere ...

• Love 2

Unless I hear it directly from Adam, that he willfully declined to appear because he didn't want to be there, I will not assume that is the case. If he is off filming a movie or doing whatever, then it's possibly he just could.not.make.it. He wasn't there - unless or until he says publicly, "I was asked and I chose not to go. I was at home Thursday night," then as far as I'm concerned, he had a conflicting obligation and could not make it. Period. He was on the retrospective Tuesday night and was nothing but effusive. There are only so many hours in one's life - personal and work obligations might just take priority, even if the performer had a positive Idol experience.

A friend of mine is a HUGE Casey Abrams fan - massive. She was distraught that he wasn't on the show Thursday night, but upon checking his webpage, she found that he's over in Europe doing whatever. So...she was fine with his absence. 

With a show that ran 15 seasons and involved a very large number of participants, there's only so much that can be done when attempting a reunion of sorts. Hey, I planned and organized my 30th high school reunion, and while absolutely no one involved (about 250 people) is a celebrity of any sort, some folks just couldn't make it and were really bummed about that. Even giving people a year's advance notice wasn't always helpful. 

While it seems that Josh Gracin flat out said nope, not doing it, is there any other contestant who has publicly gone on record as saying, "I was asked and said absolutely not, no way."? 

• Love 3
(edited)

What is all this hubbub about Adam not showing??? He had a prior commitment and couldn't get away, the end. I fail to see where the conspiracy theory is. There is nothing that I've ever seen or read about to indicate that there is any beef between Adam and anyone on the show, past or present, that would say that he didn't want to be there. Hasn't he appeared on the show like 47 times since his season? If the reason is that he was busy on another project and couldn't make it -- and it's not like he's making the project up, we know what he's doing -- then he was busy on another project and couldn't make it. The end. I would have loved to see him in the finale too, and blow whoever else was on stage with him out of the water because ADAM LAMBERT, but he couldn't be there. Disappointing, but it is what it is. The world did not end. He couldn't show. Not everyone could come. Not everyone could arrange something. Jennifer Hudson was able to pre-tape her performance with Fantasia and LaToya? Good for her. What does that have to do with what Adam and his schedule could accommodate?

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 14

Beyond thinking he has an amazing voice, I have no feelings about Adam one way or another. To me, there's a huge difference between Carrie Underwood, who is the star/leader of whatever project she has going on, putting her other projects on hold so she can be at the finale, and Adam, who based on what I've read here, was needed on set at RHPS, of which he is not the star (or even a major player, if I'm reading correctly) and likely has zero control over the film's shooting schedule. The producers of RHPS are unlikely to juggle their schedule so he can sing for 45 seconds on the AI finale.

As Chicken Wing essentially said above, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. No grudges, no ulterior motives, no Grassy Knoll.

I broke down and watched Jax's video, and here's the message I took away: They didn't make me feel special enough, it was a lot of really hard work, and all that stuff in the fine print of my contract is true. Jax, welcome to Hollywood (or real life, for that matter.)

• Love 2

Has anyone ever figured out why Jason Castro wasn't there?? (I am dying to know!)

Also, does anyone know what Elliot Yamin is up to?

Those 2 were two of my favorites from past seasons.

As far as Adam not being there (another of my favorites), that doesn't bother me at all, but no tribute to Michael Johns does.

According to his Facebook page, Jason was in the audience, behind LaPorsha's family. I don't know why he wasn't on stage though :(

Elliot still tours, mostly playing small clubs and venues. He was here in San Diego a couple years ago. I don't think he's making a fortune, but he's making a living doing what he loves. His bit on the finale was probably my favorite of the evening; wish we could have seen more of that and a whole lot less JLo and Kara.

I also wonder why Anoop wasn't there.

Very disappointing they didn't even mention Michael Johns.

• Love 1

Maddie (Jason's adorable daughter) and I had the same expression. Heh. She is TOO CUTE, just like her daddy.

It was neat to see all the alums, but I felt so bad for the current batch who got pushed aside. Too bad we couldn't have had 1 night of All Alums/AI Goodbye then the finale with the current group.

• Love 2

With a show that ran 15 seasons and involved a very large number of participants, there's only so much that can be done when attempting a reunion of sorts.

Which makes it pretty shocking that everybody came back. Even with all the schedules, the plans, the temperaments, and the egos. I think it's a testament to how grateful every major player is to Idol for what the show did for them that they all participated. Even Phillip Phillips, who's in a nasty, bitter legal dispute with TPTB showed up! That one really surprised me. It's only because of this that I find Adam's absense conspicuous, and grassy knoll-worthy.

As for Adam's past appearances on the show - I saw them all, and enjoyed them. It's not that I needed my Adam fix, but the finale was special and different. It was cool seeing everybody back on that stage, together (or in sometimes strange groupings), in that familiar milieu. Frankly, when Ryan said a David Bowie tribute was coming up after the break, I thought for sure that meant Adam (I didn't hear him say past winners), and I was bummed when it didn't happen. Did my world come to an end? Of course not. But it did make me go hmmm...

UO, but I didn't love Sanchez. Or Pia.

If AI wanted Adam to do Aint Too Proud to Beg with Gokey and company then I can see why he declined. Not saying that is what happened, but if it did.... I get it.

If Archie didnt' want to do Imagine for the whatever-th time, I get that too.

They should have mentioned Michael Johns. imo

• Love 3

No Nikki McKibbin! I know she had addiction issues, but she did get camera time recently when her son auditioned. I would have liked more people from season 1 just because it was the beginning (and SO long ago!).

I was actually irritated that Adam was ALL over that retrospective, so I've seen all I need to see of that doofus.

• Love 4

I never cared for Carrie or Katharine in their respective seasons but it's hilarious to see the Idol pimpage still working its magic on the beautiful while the ugly are tossed aside into bit parts.

While I don't think Carrie did her best possible job on that finale (her first song was okay, but her second one was so damn shouty), I actually think Katherine did a great job with her assignment. And this is from someone who while he liked her in her season, has been horrified at what Katherine McPhee has called a "music career" since then (I mean it's eye rolling when someone's best music output has been on a crappy TV show but every album and single she's put out and actually tried to sell has rightfully tanked). 

(edited)

If I was attending the finale, I'd get Constantine a gift basket filled with various soaps. It's mind boggling how he managed to look unwashed and gross for more than a decade!

Speaking of gross, does JLo's ass really needed all that publicity? Are her Vegas shows not selling well or something? Her poor kids are gonna get mocked for that footage.

Instead of dedicating a 5-minute segment for JLo shedding her clothes, I wish they would've had all the judges performed a song or medley together. And then have Simon walk out to give his classic 'ghastly cruise ship birthday parties with karaoke clowns' critique at the end. Boom, done!

Edited by rollerblade
  • Love 6

A friend of mine is a HUGE Casey Abrams fan - massive. She was distraught that he wasn't on the show Thursday night, but upon checking his webpage, she found that he's over in Europe doing whatever. So...she was fine with his absence.

She can find him on a lot of videos on YouTube, in particular singing with Postmodern Jukebox (with whom Haley Reinhart has also performed).

Pfft! Good for him for not returning to this drivel.

From the article, I'm pretty sure Josh would have returned had they let him have a solo singing his own song. His objection was that he was going to have to sing the country medley with the other contestants.

Hmm. That Buzzfeed article really did point out to me a lot of faces I would have expected to see on the finale that we didn't (some people who made big marks even if they weren't all final 3). For example. John Stevens. Brooke White. Kristy Lee Cook. Jason Castro. Jon Peter Lewis.

• Love 2

George Huff was there? He was one of my favorites. What did he sing?

George was in the group with Elliot Yamin, Danny Gokey, Brandon Rogers, and Clark Beckham. They sang a Temptations song, complete with choreography. I want to say it was "Ain't Too Proud to Beg". I was just so tickled to see him (and Elliot, another favorite) that I can't even remember what the song was.

I don't identify as Christian and normally can't stand "Christian Music", but there's something about George that just makes me smile.  I even bought his CD, back in the day.

• Love 3

Adam Lambert fan wars lighting up this thread, lol. I feel like I accidentally opened up a door to 2009.

Heh.  I thought we went through a time warp and we were back on the old twop boards. 

Angie Miller probably wasn't there because she thinks she's too good for this show since she got to sing a duet with Adam Lambert.  (I kid, I kid)

• Love 1

Yeah, the Adam thing doesn’t bother me. I only wonder why they didn’t tape something by him, since Kelly recorded something weeks earlier than when he visited the show? Maybe they/he thought it would be disrespectful to record a solo when nobody else besides Carrie and Kelly (and JLO….) got whole slots to themselves. I'm actually surprised they were able to get LaToya and Fantasia there at an earlier date to record for JHUD and then at the actual finale, too.

The only real mess-up was not giving a moment to note Michael Johns' passing. He wasn’t one of my top favorites, but he visited the show several times after his season. Maybe they thought it would be a downer to bring it up, but it wouldn’t have taken more than a second from Seacrest.

• Love 3

If I were in charge of the finale, I would have included a short montage of all the iconic moments from various judges -  In place of Kara and J Lo's songs. 

It could have been a high point, if the moments were chosen well, like :

Simon telling people they were "horrible", and making one of his cruise ship type comments,   Paula telling people "you look beautiful" Randy yelling about the Dog Pound!,  Steven Tyler making weird sexually-tinged remarks, Professor Harry lecturing about the finer points of music, Keith name-dropping, Jennifer getting "goosies", And then ending with more insults from Simon. 

NOT the judges interacting with each other,  they did show some of that -  the focus should be on them judging contestants. 

Edited by backformore
  • Love 4

Hi guys!! Can anyone tell me if my two favorites, Trenyce (Paybee) and Christina Christian, were on the finale? I've read the recap and the thread, and haven't seen them mentioned.

I watched AI through S4, and decided I was way too emotionally attached to the show. :p

Edited by punkypower

Best moments for me:

Obama's intro

• I think that pop culture has the biggest chance of making social change than any politician could ever do; it was appropriate and smart for Obama to speak.  Like it or not, AI was a juggernaut.  The right concept at the right time.

Simon/Paula/Randy

• The show wouldn't have been what it was without Simon, Randy, and Paula. Great moment with Simon surprising Paula and Ryan.  I'm guessing Randy may have been in on it??? They all seem to genuinely like each other.

Brian Dunkleman

William Hung

• Awesome and appropriate moment!  kudos to AI for bringing him back.  It was a great reminder that AI is a tv show first and foremost and that it is for every-day people

Kelly Clarkson - all of it

• The girl is impressive. The number of hits she's had is insane.  
  • I also liked when she said that if people couldn't handle Simon, they'd never make it in the biz because it's far worse than Simon could ever be.  I think one reason Kelly was able to make it is that she was able to endure working with the post-show record producers. 

Past contestant's performances

• It was awesome to see so many past contestants!  Agree with those who thought the performances were slapped together at the last minute.  They could have been better, but in this case, if forced to choose, I preferred quantity to quality.  That was a lot of people to corral.  I'm really glad all seasons were represented.  

Favorite Group Sings

• The 3 divas; I understand Fantasia, Latoya, and Jennifer have always been friends and super supportive of each other.  It appears to still be the case.  That says a ton about them as people.  So lovely to see.
  • Clay singing background for Rubin.  I would like to have seen Kimberly Lock as the 3rd though!  I wonder if they are all still friends?  They were tight back in the day.  Clay and Kelly were pretty close too. 
  • I LOVE Kimberly Locke's voice! Always have.

Worst moments for Me

Kara DioGuardi's performance

• It was so off base and random that it was offensive.  Every second she performed was a second lost with past contestants.  I get that she is highly regarded as a song-writer - but she did not belong on stage.

JLo's performance

• The amount of time her performance took was just as offensive. It went on, and on, an on.  It came off as self-serving and obscenely so given how long it was.   Plus...I'm no spring chicken so perhaps I can get away with saying it, but JLo was looking a little old - at least for that kind of performance.  It wasn't good.  Nothing about that performance was a positive reflection on her (IMO). 

Harry's duet with the young girl from New Orleans

• Great idea that Idol recognized the success of "Idol Gives Back" but man.  That duet was horrible.  They weren't in tune with each and the girl looked like she was being forced to be there.  I'm a Harry fan, but that was BAD. 

Trent's "It was God's will"

• Trent kept saying to LaPorsha "It was God's will" after he won when he buried him self in her arms.  Ugh for so many reasons - chief among them is that what he's also saying is that it was God's will that LaPorsha LOST....which I'm certain is not something she would want to revel in at that moment.  I'm sure Trent's a nice guy, but that was completely inappropriate and stupid.
Edited by Jextella
  • Love 6

Sorry, I don't have any idea.  I just heard it on the radio, totally randomly.

I have a strong feeling Jax got burned really bad after Idol. That could change you for the worst. Borchetta seemed to love her on the show and always pimping her, he got her the gig to sing the National Anthem at NASCAR, she even mentioned wanting to get an apt.in Nashville. She obviously didn't get signed and seems very bitter now.

She didn't sound at all bitter in in the interview I heard.  She was flying high, very upbeat, talking about how talented and famous she is, how she has so many fans who adore her and would do anything for her, etc.  When they allowed callers to ask questions, she was really up on her high horse with them.  Totally in love with herself.  She couldn't believe she had been eliminated and she wasn't gracious at all about the other contestants.   I didn't love her on the show - I picked up a definite obnoxious vibe.  But this interview really surprised me because I've never heard an eliminated contestant - or a winner - carry on the way she did about how fabulous she is.  And famous.  She was all about being famous - That's what she talked about most.  How famous and beloved she is.  

She very well may be bitter now.  But if this girl got knocked down a few pegs and is now disappointed, that's totally ok with me.

Exactly. The finale was a huge reunion for the fans and all the past singers and folks associated with the show. Of all the high profile people from the show over 14 seasons, Mariah Carey was the only judge that didn't make an appearance, and Adam was the only contestant no-show. (I'm a huge Crystal Bowersox fan, but even I would concede she's not high profile). So this sticks out. No one's scratching their heads over Mariah, but Adam passing makes me wonder.

I wonder if maybe there's some personal reason, i.e. maybe there's someone from his group he doesn't want to see, or maybe he didn't like whatever idea they had planned for him. Adam's very strong-minded about everything he does, so I can see him saying no to something that doesn't feel right to him. Just speculating.

Adam has returned to Idol many times, most recently last week (finale week) where we saw quite a lot of him.  It's not always possible to re-arrange schedules.  Sometimes it's just as simple as that.  It probably just made more sense for him to do it the way he did, and it's not as though he turned his back on the end of Idol.  Far from it.  Unless he says that he deliberately stayed away from the last night, I see no reason to think that was the case.  Certainly someone who is strong-minded would have no problem stating the truth. 

I broke down and watched Jax's video, and here's the message I took away: They didn't make me feel special enough, it was a lot of really hard work, and all that stuff in the fine print of my contract is true. Jax, welcome to Hollywood (or real life, for that matter.)

Exactly!!!

• Love 3

Clay "sang back-up" for Ruben? I saw Clay sing a solo!

Why did Pia Toscano get a solo, is the question, if we're going to say that no-one should sing one if they're not of Kelly caliber!

I can't find that there have been any other "Idol Top 10" deaths besides that of Michael Johns. To recognize any below Top 10 would have been weird, but MJ? Yes, should have had a mention.

Well, it's all troubled water under the bridge now. Back to finding their own path to success, whatever Season they were on.

P.S. Remember the not-on-the-Finale Lazaro?

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • Love 4
Unless he says that he deliberately stayed away from the last night, I see no reason to think that was the case.

He was filming Rocky Horror in Toronto that day - he couldn't just leave and I'm pretty sure a big production isn't going to re-arrange their schedule for a guy with a bit part.

Edited by areca
  • Love 1

Worst moments for Me

Kara DioGuardi's performance

• It was so off base and random that it was offensive.  Every second she performed was a second lost with past contestants.  I get that she is highly regarded as a song-writer - but she did not belong on stage.

JLo's performance

• The amount of time her performance took was just as offensive. It went on, and on, an on.  It came off as self-serving and obscenely so given how long it was.   Plus...I'm no spring chicken so perhaps I can get away with saying it, but JLo was looking a little old - at least for that kind of performance.  It wasn't good.  Nothing about that performance was a positive reflection on her (IMO). 

IMO the past contestants got plenty of time on the show.  The Season 15 contestants, on the other hand, were utterly shafted.  Why couldn't TPTB have eliminated Kara's ~performance, or cut down JLo's, and at least thrown a bone to the Top 10 and given them a song all to themselves?  Let's face it, the finale was likely the last opportunity most of them will have to be on national television.. 

Or did it happen while I was dealing with the digestive issues of one of my cats, and it was so unmemorable that nobody has mentioned it?

• Love 6

Clay singing background for Rubin.  I would like to have seen Kimberly Lock as the 3rd though!  I wonder if they are all still friends?  They were tight back in the day.  Clay and Kelly were pretty close too.

Harry's duet with the young girl from New Orleans

Great idea that Idol recognized the success of "Idol Gives Back" but man.  That duet was horrible.  They weren't in tune with each and the girl looked like she was being forced to be there.  I'm a Harry fan, but that was BAD.

No one sang backup for Ruben. He sang a duet with someone I can't recall (didn't watch all the seasons), Clay had a solo, and KLo sang her own song as part of a medley.

Yes, they're all still friends.

And then some. 

Clay talks about his friend Kelly (from 2015.)

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that Harry's duet, while well-intentioned, was awful. The girl didn't look at all comfortable with being onstage, and vocally, the whole thing was less than thrilling.

IMO the past contestants got plenty of time on the show.  The Season 15 contestants, on the other hand, were utterly shafted.  Why couldn't TPTB have eliminated Kara's ~performance, or cut down JLo's, and at least thrown a bone to the Top 10 and given them a song all to themselves?  Let's face it, the finale was likely the last opportunity most of them will have to be on national television..

Yeah, I was shocked that Kara was featured. Honestly, I didn't watch her season(s?) and really have no idea who she is aside from being a former Idol judge. Though I had no burning desire to hear any of them again, it would have been nice for this season's top 10 to get a chance to do something besides show up in the background and wheel out a giant memento for Ryan. 

Edited by designing1
  • Love 4