Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E24: Winner Chosen

• Start Topic

Trent kept saying to LaPorsha "It was God's will" after he won when he buried him self in her arms.  Ugh for so many reasons - chief among them is that what he's also saying is that it was God's will that LaPorsha LOST....which I'm certain is not something she would want to revel in at that moment.  I'm sure Trent's a nice guy, but that was completely inappropriate and stupid.

Unless God got more than 10 votes per line, in which case all of God's multiple phone, Internet and Twitter votes were what put Trent over the top.

Taking tongue out of cheek, this bugged the heck out of me too. Trent should be thanking the VIEWERS. You know, the ones who actually VOTED for him. God had nothing to do with it. Not ONE SINGLE THING. Trent's the one who got in his car and drove to the audition, not God, and viewers were the ones who kept Trent on the show, not God. Geesh. Like God forgot all about all the starving kids in the world, the wars and blights, to make sure Trent won AI. How full of himself.

• Love 5

Unless God got more than 10 votes per line, in which case all of God's multiple phone, Internet and Twitter votes were what put Trent over the top.

Taking tongue out of cheek, this bugged the heck out of me too. Trent should be thanking the VIEWERS. You know, the ones who actually VOTED for him. God had nothing to do with it. Not ONE SINGLE THING. Trent's the one who got in his car and drove to the audition, not God, and viewers were the ones who kept Trent on the show, not God. Geesh. Like God forgot all about all the starving kids in the world, the wars and blights, to make sure Trent won AI. How full of himself.

I also thought this was silly to say much the same as when the Superbowl MVP claims it was God's will that his team win as if God was not on the side of the players on the other team.

At first I also thought it was an incredibly rude thing to say to her in that moment. Having said that, I do think that Trent is someone who believes that everything in his life is God's will and both he and LaPorsha posted Instagrams with each other asking for God's support leading into the finale. LaPorsha's actually asked God to help them both "fulfill our destiny, whatever it may be for each of us" so I suspect they had conversations about what they believed God's role was in this process. I saw an interview with Trent afterwards where he said he was telling her it was God's will that it turn out this way but that it didn't matter who came in first because they would both be on each other's albums and tour together and be a part of each other's careers. Based on comments from both of them, I think they both probably do believe the end result was God's will as silly as it seems to a lot of us.

And frankly, LaPorsha might think it was indeed God's will that she won't be tied to Borchetta in that same way that Trent will be. Heh.

Edited by TeeMo
  • Love 5

All the judges' performance time at the expense of the Season 15 contestants is exactly why Clay tweeted in January why he didn't like what the show had become as the shift was from the "kids" to the judges.

• Love 8

I can't stand when they go on and on about God in cases like this but to be fair Trent is extremely gracious to fans on social media..always saying "thank you", posting videos to them daily and saying he loves them.  It was a poor choice of words in that quick moment but he does show gratitude often. Yesterday he even posted a nice message thanking not just the fans but the crew, vocal coaches, etc and everyone at Idol for everything they've done for him.

• Love 6

And frankly, LaPorsha might think it was indeed God's will that she won't be tied to Borchetta in that same way that Trent will be. Heh

LOL! I guess that means God likes LaPorsha better than Trent after all.

• Love 5

I would have loved to have seen a Carrie/Kelly duet - I've always wanted them to do one since they are the 2 best winners and they can each sing basically any style. But I just saw online that they've apparently been "feuding" for the past 8 years (has anybody heard anything about this?). (The same article also said that Carrie was mad that she had to do a duet and kelly got to do a medley of her own songs).

I would have also loved to have seen a trio from Ruben, Clay and Kimberly locke ( i felt that the three of them worked well together).

I could have done withouth the "diva trio" - I had no idea that's what they used to be called, and I never could stand Fantasia's singing (obviously a lot of America disagreed with this), and I couldn't even remember the 3rd person.

• Love 2

But I just saw online that they've apparently been "feuding" for the past 8 years (has anybody heard anything about this?). The same article also said that Carrie was mad that she had to do a duet and kelly got to do a medley of her own songs.

I think you can discount the entire article, then, given that Carrie not only did the duet but also got her big solo at the end (which admittedly probably would have been Kelly's spot as The Original Idol, had she been able to be there.) They're both wildly successful and neither seems unintelligent or petty; what in the world would they feud about?

• Love 3

Honestly, I didn't enjoy most of the final episode. It was medley after medley, and while some of the pairings and groupings were obvious, others were weird and random. The show was chaotic. Maybe there was no way to make it otherwise, with this many people jammed in.

See, here is where I disagree. I thought Nigel's production of this finale was SUPERB. The whole look of the show was a classy, sparkly, laser-beam filled dose of eye candy. The coordinating gowns and suits were awesome and each performers "style" and personality came through. The staging of the musical numbers and pairings seemed well thought out and complimentary. Those who got a solo really showed how much they have grown into performers and seemed to be having fun on stage. Yes, there were some wtf moments (cough, Kara. JLo), but all in all, a super enjoyable show that went by too fast for me. I loved it.

Edited by JustDuckie
  • Love 8

I too thought they did a pretty good job of orchestrating the whole thing and putting the medleys together, especially since they likely had an idea early on of what they wanted to do but didn't have a whole lot of control over who exactly would be available to actually be in it. They mixed and matched everything and figured out a place for everyone who was able to participate fairly well, IMO.

Edited by Chicken Wing
  • Love 6

Trent should be thanking the VIEWERS. You know, the ones who actually VOTED for him. God had nothing to do with it. Not ONE SINGLE THING.

One of things I noticed about Simon's speech is when he said: "and to this year's finalists - always remember the fans who voted for you." Smart.

• Love 7

Has anyone ever figured out why Jason Castro wasn't there?? (I am dying to know!)

I know that Jason and his sibs have been signed to a record deal and were doing a corporate gig that night, so he wasn't available anyway. But according to a response he made on Twitter, "it would have been fun but Itnwas a crowded stage. Didn't get the invite!"

He WAS in the audience the night before, with his 4-and-a-half year old daughter, right behind Dalton's parents. (His daughter was a big Dalton fan and cried when he was eliminated, and Mama Rapattoni spent the break consoling her.)

Edited by rereader2
  • Love 4

I think you can discount the entire article, then, given that Carrie not only did the duet but also got her big solo at the end (which admittedly probably would have been Kelly's spot as The Original Idol, had she been able to be there.) They're both wildly successful and neither seems unintelligent or petty; what in the world would they feud about?

Some big country star was on Watch What Happens Live.  It was a female but for the life of me, I can't remember her name.  She was asked who she'd rather duet with and she immediately said Kelly. She said it in a tone that made me think she was not a Carrie fan although I could be reading too much into it.

I don't follow gossip much but I'm wondering if Carrie got a little bit of a big head?

I thought Nigel's production of this finale was SUPERB. The whole look of the show was a classy, sparkly, laser-beam filled dose of eye candy. The coordinating gowns and suits were awesome and each performers "style" and personality came through. The staging of the musical numbers and pairings seemed well thought out and complimentary.

This articulates much better what I wrote several pages back. Putting this spectacle on ... figuring out the players, songs, lighting, staging, yada, yada, was a Herculean effort. Production and everyone involved deserves a free European vacation, courtesy Simon and Nigel!

Whether one liked the singers/songs or performances doesn't take away from the entire show being a fantastic production.

And, oh yeah, Trent won.

• Love 4

And if there had been unlimited voting (as in the past?) then Dalton would have won. (imo)  ...tweens..... teens.... and whoever voting a gazillion times per individual  :-).

I didn't hear Trent say that, but YIKES>

Really, the Ruben/Amber duet?  I just relistened to it twice, I don't hear any backup vocals at all except maybe an "ahhh" or two, and he's not shown.  Though it wouldn't surprise me.  Jordin was a backup for Kara. 

I relistened, and I think Clay very softly sings about four notes (literally: "there" and "through her hair".) I do hear additional "ahhs" toward the end, but it's not clear to me who's singing.

I've seen this said by several including Simon Cowell, wasn't it?  I don't really understand.  I didn't see any more time spent on the judges in the later seasons.  I'm not a fan of the judges but I feel like Simon and Paula got as much airtime as the current batch.

The original judges used didn't used to take long with their actual critiques (except Paula, who has a hard time forming sentences) but Simon and Paula would spend inordinate amounts of time bickering, leaving the contestant twisting in the wind -- and sometimes prompting them to answer back. This batch of judges is comprised of performers who perform their own numbers throughout the season. I think that pulls far less attention from the contestants than the [manufactured] drama of Simon and Paula.

I just read the Time.com review linked a few posts up. If the reviewer is already looking down his nose at the entire franchise before actually watching the episode he's reviewing, does it really count as a review? I can't imagine what it would have taken for him to have written something positive -- I'm not sure it would be possible.

Edited by designing1
  • Love 3
La'Porsha has come out as opposed to "the LGBT lifestyle"

.Reading her quotes, then how they were twisted by the writer of this article ... wow. IMO it's the writer who has the gigantic bias and super-thin skin, not LaPorsha. A good example of Yellow Journalism, that link.

Time.com put out a scathing review of the finale.

Geesh, Daniel D'Addario, bitter much? At least you said the finale was "Glorious" in your headline. Do all online writers now have to talk smack about everything? Does that make them "current" and "hip" and "smart"? Let's hate everything and then we're "cool"?

So long, days of journalists who actually could write a well-thought-out review.  

• Love 3

Parts of the finale were very good, and parts were a hot mess--much like the series itself. I still am highly annoyed with the way they treated this season's contestants. Seriously, if they wanted it to be a farewell-to-the-show season, they could have made it a showcase for their former contestants--there are certainly enough of them--instead of bringing in a bunch of kids, rushing them through so they got far less exposure than any earlier season, ditching the only thing that earned any of them any money (the tour), and then burying them in the finale. Not classy, AI.

• Love 2

La'Porsha has come out as opposed to "the LGBT lifestyle".

http://jezebel.com/american-idols-laporsha-renae-does-not-agree-with-the-l-1770148125

Wow. 

She's doing the passive-aggressive, "You should accept me even through I don't accept you," BS, along with the "that's not how I was raised" crap that implies that gay people are like that because they were raised wrong. Oh, and she throws in a good heaping dose of "I have gay friends!"  Yeah, the "I have black friends" defense.  Pfft.

She really reeks of, "No matter what bad things I've done, at least I'm not gay!  That way no matter what I do I'll always feel superior to someone."

What. A. Turd.  I'm so glad this nasty creep lost.  

ETA:  My comments are on LaPorsha's comments in isolation, not what the article author wrote around it.  LaPorsha's comments stink all by themselves.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 5

La'Porsha made those comments on a conference call so it wasn't one author twisting her words around. Multiple bloggers/journalists transcribed what she said. Saying being gay is a lifestyle..ugh. She also said on Instagram that she has been given the title of being Kellys bookend and she'll prove that through success. Um yeah OK and even if she does end up with success she is NOT and won't be the last AI winner/Kellys bookend. That's a totally separate thing.

• Love 6

La'Porsha made those comments on a conference call so it wasn't one author twisting her words around. Multiple bloggers/journalists transcribed what she said. Saying being gay is a lifestyle..ugh. She also said on Instagram that she has been given the title of being Kellys bookend and she'll prove that through success. Um yeah OK and even if she does end up with success she is NOT and won't be the last AI winner/Kellys bookend. That's a totally separate thing.

I don't think she meant any harm... but wow, she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer by the things she's been saying recently.

I think La Porsha was a little naive in how she answered the questions but the message I took was one of tolerance.  She's entitled to her beliefs....as we all are.  The key is tolerance of different beliefs - which Porsha clearly conveyed.

The author is angry that LaPorsha may not believe homosexuality is "right" given her religious beliefs/upbringing - and that is the opposite of tolerance.  The author is the one who has issues.

I agree with Nigel about the WGWG being the best performance of the night.  I actually really liked the fact that they were WGWG.    They owned it and sang/performed really well together.   It wasn't my favorite moment only because it wasn't nostalgic, but they performed well.

If Kimberly Lock sang with Ruben and Clay, that would have been my favorite.  They coulda sung Old MacDonald and I would have loved it.

Edited by Jextella
  • Love 3

The author's issue is LaPorsha labeling someone's identity as a "lifestyle" subject to her disagreement.

Yes. And also, describing another person's sexual orientation as a "lifestyle" is dismissive, condescending, and implies it's a choice, and not a core part of the person's identity. Whenever I hear someone's sexual orientation described as a "lifestyle" I want to ask the person using that description just when and how they chose the heterosexual "lifestyle."

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 9
God had nothing to do with it. Not ONE SINGLE THING. Trent's the one who got in his car and drove to the audition, not God, and viewers were the ones who kept Trent on the show, not God. Geesh. Like God forgot all about all the starving kids in the world, the wars and blights, to make sure Trent won AI. How full of himself.

Wow. Maybe it was God's will for Trent's life for him to win AI. After all, Trent has some amazing pipes.  How will we ever know? But if Trent and LaPorsha are having this conversation with each other then who cares? And since you brought it up, I wonder why people think God only cares about wars and blights and starving kids.  How one dimensional.  With that line of reasoning unless you are one of the people in the world affected by starvation, war or blight, God won't give you the time of day.  

• Love 3

Trent has been thanking his supporters every day (sometimes twice a day) on social media... almost to the point that I'm like "OK dude. I get it." So I doubt any of his voters care that he said "Thank you, God" when he won. Some people believe that they can do nothing without God. It's their belief and I have no problem with that. And it seems like La'Porsha and Trent had that discussion before.

• Love 5

Here's Trent's Facebook page FWIW. As I said before hes very, very kind to his fans. He thanked him every week he got through and has been extremely gracious since winning, he posted right after the show ended a video saying "thank you"  If he's been doing nothing but giving God credit since winning I would find it obnoxious but I'm cutting him a ton of slack for something he said during a very emotional moment.

• Love 4

The author's issue is LaPorsha labeling someone's identity as a "lifestyle" subject to her disagreement.

The author may consider sexuality to be genetic whereas others may consider it to be a lifestyle choice.  LaPorsha may be in the latter camp but it's her camp.  She doesn't need to believe something just because others believe it to be true.  I think its the tolerance that's important since humans will always disagree on most things. 

• Love 2

I assume that Trent and LaPorsha had a conversation before the winner was announced, and they agreed that which ever one of them won, it was "gods will" (not that I believe in that ),  and that they would both accept whichever outcome cam to pass.   I know a lot of religious people who handle disappointment by saying "I guess that's not what God had in mind, he has other plans for me."   It's just a way to not stress about something over which you have no control.    I think Trent was reassuring LaPorsha, reminding her that god may have another plan for her.  

I think it's silly to read more into it than that. 

• Love 7

I think La Porsha was a little naive in how she answered the questions but the message I took was one of tolerance.  She's entitled to her beliefs....as we all are.  The key is tolerance of different beliefs - which Porsha clearly conveyed.

The author is angry that LaPorsha may not believe homosexuality is "right" given her religious beliefs/upbringing - and that is the opposite of tolerance.  The author is the one who has issues.

Maybe the author is gay and doesn't appreciate someone saying being gay is a "lifestyle" and a "choice" with the implication that being gay makes her (the author) a lesser human being or someone who is making "bad choices."  Phrases such as "being gay is a lifestyle" and "being gay is a choice" are code words with negative meanings toward an entire group no less than "thug" or "welfare queen."

The "you must tolerate my intolerance or else you're intolerant" fallacy doesn't wash and neither does the "if you don't like me calling you a [slur/code word] then you're the one with issues" argument.  People aren't required to put up with someone like LaPorsha publicly belittling and being condescending to an entire group of people and then just take it and not stand up for themselves.  La Porsha said something really stupid in public and she's rightfully getting called out on it.   

She has a right to her opinion, but others have a right to have an opinion about her opinion.  

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 9

but wow, she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer by the things she's been saying recently

And that's exactly why I'm glad she didn't win. That, and the "single mom" story over & over again. Fantasia did it first. Enough already!

• Love 1

Here's Trent's Facebook page FWIW. As I said before hes very, very kind to his fans. He thanked him every week he got through and has been extremely gracious since winning, he posted right after the show ended a video saying "thank you"  If he's been doing nothing but giving God credit since winning I would find it obnoxious but I'm cutting him a ton of slack for something he said during a very emotional moment.

I totally agree. I voted for Trent -- I have not voted since the Adam Lambert year, but because this was the final season of Idol I wanted to vote for someone -- and I don't take any offense to the fact that he thanked God and not the people who voted.  I am normally the first person to champion a 'give credit where credit is due' philosophy -- I believe in giving credit to others, and thanking others for their efforts, and I hope that they will do the same for me -- but in this case I don't fault Trent at all.  Oscar winners have forgotten to thank important people in their lives.  Assorted pageant winners have thanked God and not others who helped them.  These are emotional moments, as you said, and millions of people are watching them.  I doubt that Trent could even think straight immediately after Ryan announced his name.  He just said whatever he could think of and form into a sentence, but he was probably overcome with many emotions and simply overwhelmed.

One of the things I like(d) about Trent was that he was always very polite, humble, respectful, grateful, etc.  He always listened to feedback.  He wanted to improve.  He was never full of himself or full of attitude.  He did nothing wrong.  He showed up.  He worked hard.  He did a good job.  He won.

As for the "it's God's will" statement to La'Porsha, I do think they probably talked privately behind the scenes and came to the conclusion that whatever happened was God's will or God's doing.  Trent wasn't saying that to be cocky, insulting, disparaging or rude.  He stood there and said -- trying to not cry -- that she pushed him and basically helped him (to be better).  I feel strongly that his comment to her was based on a longer conversation between them that we did not hear.  I really don't think it was anything more than that.

• Love 2

And that's exactly why I'm glad she didn't win. That, and the "single mom" story over & over again. Fantasia did it first. Enough already!

I haven't voted for anyone on Idol for over a decade but I were a regular voter, I think I'd sort of lean towards not letting the contestant's personal lives influence me one way or the other. I totally get that money - having it or not having it - impacts your life in a huge way. Being able to have a place to live, food to eat, clothing, health care, access to transportation, education - these are all things that vastly improve one's life, to name a few, and their common denominator is so often the money it takes to obtain and to keep them. So...when I hear a contestant get up there and say, "I want/need to win Idol so that I can help my child/my family," all I hear is, "I need money and hopefully, I'll get it via winning Idol." I feel as if they see winning Idol as a quick and immediate influx of cash - which it may well be, I truly don't know - and that has, for me, tainted my view of that contestant to an extent. The more the contestant mentions how life-altering winning would be; the more he or she talks about "improving" their situation; the more I hear, "Give me money." I know that's a huge exaggeration on my part, and an unfair conclusion for me to reach, but on some level, that's what I'm hearing: "I need money. Winning Idol will give me money. Vote for me so that I can get money." I understand that there are a million ways to make a living, and that performing music is one of them. But being so bald-faced about it rubs me the wrong way.

I don't begrudge La'Porsha or any other contestant for having a baby at a young age and now perhaps facing financial hardships as a result. Having a child exhausts every single resource you have, and if you don't have adequate resources to begin with, you're even further behind the eight ball. If, however, you come on a show like Idol and willingly expose your personal life to those responsible for your fate on the show, it's bound to be met with a variety of reactions, some of which may be really critical. I acknowledge that the show itself highlights some of these situations - we did not necessarily need to see 875 shots of La'Porsha's daughter each time we tuned in. We get it - she has a child and is a single mother. Got it, got it, got it! Is her singing ability affected by that? Doubtful. Is the emotion and context behind her singing affected by her single motherhood at a young age? Very possibly, sure. It's a fine line - I want to know a little about what makes a contestant tick and don't mind some context, but at the same time, I pretty much don't care if you're a young, single mother or that your family is looking to you to help them financially, or whatever your tale of woe may be. Just sing. If you flub the lyrics or sing off-key or smile during a very sad song, it is highly unlikely that I will think, "Well, he needs the money...I'd better vote for him so that he has a better chance of winning and thus be in a better financial situation."

• Love 3

Does anyone know why there is no tour this year? To me, this is overlooking a gigantic cash cow. Some of the past contestants whom we saw on the finale could have joined it. I think the crowds would have been gigantic for this "last' fling for AI. Even a "Past Contestants" tour would have been something to not miss.

Also, what did Trent win? Money, or a recording deal/contract? I remember Kelly Clarkson saying she was locked into an AI contract so had to appear in that "From Justin to Kelly" movie, whether she wanted to or not. I don't remember hearing any plugs about what the winner wins, unlike other shows where that carrot-on-a-stick is hung out multiple times per show.

• Love 2

Trent's talk about "God's will" is on the same wavelength as him saying, "I worked SOOOOoooOOO hard!!!" as soon as he won. I'm sure hard work and God's will (and talent, imo) had nothing to do with why you won--and, worse, it implies that the others didn't work hard. But I always found him rather fake. Not as fake as Scotty McCreery, but definitely a put-on.

Poor girl really stepped into the crosshairs of people angry about NC's and Mississippi's religious freedom laws. The only thing she really got wrong in her comments was the word "lifestyle." Besides that, she seemed supportive of equality regardless of her religious beliefs. Between that headline and the other about Carrie and Kelly's invented "feud," I'm not sure which is more laughable.

Let's be honest, Kelly was the only contestant at the finale who really won. She's finally free of her Idol contract after all these years.

• Love 4

I live in Los Angeles (in a very entertainment business-oriented area of the city) -- where "fake" can be found around every corner.  I don't see Trent as fake at all.  Not in the least bit. 

I'm not going to run out and buy whatever music Trent puts out, and there are other Idol contestants I have preferred in past seasons, but he seems like a nice young man.  I don't see where he said or did anything wrong, and yet there seems to be a need to somehow paint him in a bad light (I've seen it on Facebook and here).  He is the one who won -- he is entitled to talk about how he worked hard.  His win is about him -- it's not about the other contestants.  Quite frankly, it was very nice of him to mention that La'Porsha pushed him and helped him -- he didn't need to do that, just as she didn't need to help him.   All of the other contestants are entitled to talk about how they worked hard too.

I am certain that if we were to go back into the Idol archives and analyze the words of every contestant and winner, we could find all sorts of statements that could be interpreted a certain way, if not being just flat-out obnoxious remarks. 

• Love 5
Trent's talk about "God's will" is on the same wavelength as him saying, "I worked SOOOOoooOOO hard!!!" as soon as he won.

The "I worked SOOOoooooooo hard" thing irritated me more than anything. He said it last episode, too. Yeah, maybe he was working 24/7 and was tired, but so was everyone else, including the stage crew. I wish he would have just thanked AI for this wonderful opportunity and left his "hard work" out of it.

I personally don't give a care how much sleep someone did or didn't get, I only care about what I see on my tv set. Whether Trent worked himself to the bone or sat around and ate bon bons all day means nothing to me and I don't want to hear about it. His performance was all I cared about.

Thanking god always makes me wonder why people don't take credit for their own success.

The only thing she really got wrong in her comments was the word "lifestyle."

Agree with that. And why can't it be a lifestyle? As a straight person, if I decide to take a same-sex life partner or lover, isn't that a new "lifestyle" for me? I'd have no problem with people calling it that or anything else. It's my life after all, so who cares?

Did anyone ask Trent about LGBT "lifestyles"?

• Love 1

Yes, LP stepped in it. I hate the whole "lifestyle" rhetoric. As the person said in the article (or somewhere) being born Vietnamese (or any nationality or race) is not a "lifestyle" (choice)  and neither is sexual orientation. Sheesh.

To me, lifestyle is something someone can CHOOSE to change.

The "worked SOOOOO hard" was annoying to me too. IDK why. "God's will" kind of bugged as well. If you are final two on AI you're doing ok. If you're staving and sick somewhere,... you need God's, or someone's ,  help (imo)

Edited by ari333

Implying being gay is a choice not a trait you're born with is pretty inflammatory, especially when you're also coming from a place of believing it's a sin, which I guess also implies it's a choice.  And a bad one.  

What I don't understand about "I worked so hard" is what does it really take, outside of learning your songs and your choreo?  I know they have grueling schedules but they all work hard, learn their songs and their choreo.  Was Trent cleaning their hotel rooms while the others napped or something?  

^^^^^^^^ this

on both points

Implying being gay is a choice not a trait you're born with is pretty inflammatory, especially when you're also coming from a place of believing it's a sin, which I guess also implies it's a choice. And a bad one.

What I don't understand about "I worked so hard" is what does it really take, outside of learning your songs and your choreo? I know they have grueling schedules but they all work hard, learn their songs and their choreo. Was Trent cleaning their hotel rooms while the others napped or something?

I have no idea what he might have done to work harder than anyone else but more than one of the producers mentioned how hard he worked often with the implication that he was the hardest worker of the lot and Ryan also mentioned his intense focus. I think he may have come in with more of a concrete plan on what he needed to do to win and tried to execute that plan step by step. He kept his family away so as not to be distarcted, he did tons of social media "check ins" to connect with his fans and he seemed to come in with a plan for the songs he wanted to sing as well. His YouTube page from before Idol has only about 20 videos on it but he sang probably half of the covers he did there on the show.

Someone earlier in this thread or in his thread mentioned that he said he moved off the he farm a year ago to focus on music and give it a serious try. I think he may have had such a serious approach to the show because it felt like it was his one real shot to get off the farm and he came to LA with with a very serious plan of attack. As one of the older contestants, I am sure his approach was also different in the sense that he may have felt like the window was closing on him to make it in music.

I have no doubt that all of them worked very, very hard but I think the difference with him may have the overall approach. I remember in the beginning weeks Harry commented that he noticed Trent changed some aspects of his delivery and Trent acknowledged that he did. I don't think that leather bound book of judges' comments he kept was was just to remember his experience. I really think he used it to try to improve every week and took it all very seriously. Even his style evolved quite a bit from the beginning to end so that he looked more like a put together performer at the end. I think that was all thought out as well.

The "I worked so hard" thing followed by the "God's will" comments were odd and off-putting to me at the time as well but in the post show interviews he said that moment was the first time in nearly a year he let himself relax. I think the exclamation of "I worked so hard" was a bit of disbelief that the work paid off and some true relief that he could finally take a breath. He has since posted several things thanking the various crew members for their help along the way so I don't think he intended to come off as a jerk trying to claim he got there all on his own.

I was a fan of his long before I could remember his name (I referred to him as "Mono man" until the top ten shows started or thereabouts) and I was rooting for him but didn't pay much attention to anything beyond what he was doing on show night. Since the win, I have watched a few of his Periscopes from throughout the season and it does seem like he was constantly in work mode, letting fans know when he would be back on Periscope or Facebook Live (and it seems like he was on nearly every night at the same time to connect with the fans). Very often, he'd be in a group setting with everyone and then go off somewhere more quiet to answer fans' questions. I think it was all very strategic on his part and it worked for him in the end.

Basically, I guess I am saying that maybe he didn't work harder so much as he worked more strategically than some of the others who may have only focused on learning their songs week to week.

• Love 3

Somebody way back a few pages mentioned Taylor Hicks' jacket. I remember reading about that jacket during Season 5. The contestants apparently had a clothing budget and he blew it all on that purple velvet Versace jacket. Ironically I went to the Season 5 touring concert and he was wearing the jacket there too. 

Back when Idol was huge back in the day (seasons 3-6) I used to print pictures of the Top 10-20 on the office computer and we would post them on the inside door of our office and cover their pictures with Post-Its each week when they were eliminated (we felt it was cruel to cross them out lol). My supervisor ended up becoming a huge Lambert fan (I can't remember the term but it's akin to being a Claymate- was it Glamberts? lol). She and her friends even had special glittery T-shirts made to wear to one of his concerts. It was such a big deal every week. Good times. 

• Love 6

Somebody way back a few pages mentioned Taylor Hicks' jacket. I remember reading about that jacket during Season 5. The contestants apparently had a clothing budget and he blew it all on that purple velvet Versace jacket. Ironically I went to the Season 5 touring concert and he was wearing the jacket there too. 

Back when Idol was huge back in the day (seasons 3-6) I used to print pictures of the Top 10-20 on the office computer and we would post them on the inside door of our office and cover their pictures with Post-Its each week when they were eliminated (we felt it was cruel to cross them out lol). My supervisor ended up becoming a huge Lambert fan (I can't remember the term but it's akin to being a Claymate- was it Glamberts? lol). She and her friends even had special glittery T-shirts made to wear to one of his concerts. It was such a big deal every week. Good times. 

Awww that's great and sounds like great times. ! I  liked Tay and loved Adam. Nuff said.

I almost expected LP to win. Her voice is nice; if she didnt' do all the runs I'd have been a fan. I"m not a falsetto male voice lover, so there's that. Trent seems polite. I liked "MIss Jennifer" and whatever else he said.  

Edited by ari333
  • Love 2

A coworker and I used to print out the pictures of the Top 24 and make predictions week to week. We kept our own charts and crossed them out as they were eliminated too! It was a lot of fun. Our other coworkers thought we were crazy.

• Love 3

Excellent post, TeeMo, explaining some of Trent's "working" backstory.

And shame on me for ranking on any of these contestants and what they might have said/not said during a live broadcast. Congrats to them all for making the last season a good one, IMO. I hope they all have success, and can ignore nay-sayers on social media. (Me included!) I wish they were going on tour though. That could have been such fun.

• Love 2