Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E01: Start Spreading The News

• Start Topic

Bethenny is excited living in a home she loves as she tries to balance her life in the Season 8 premiere. Also: Carole and her boyfriend are still going strong; Ramona adapts to newly single life; and a brunch turns from sweet to sour.

My eyes nearly rolled out of my head when Bethenny started talking about the new girl being too skinny...but then she admitted how crazy it was and I had to snatch them back. Love her hair, so great on her.

• Love 15
(edited)

This tastes like more of the same thing, maybe with different names.

But I want Dorinda's haircut this season. I do like Bethanny's short hair.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 5

Beth needs to spend more time in the doobievator so she can calm the fuck down.

A ride in a really tall building, like the one in Dubai. She is insufferably loud, rude and a fucking big mouth. But don't talk about HER problems.

The NYC. ho's are back! And once again it's the Bethenny show. I do like her hair, clothes and apartment though.

They talked a lot about what happened over the summer and in the Hamptons. Sounded wild. I wish they had filmed and showed all that.

I don't miss Heather and Kristin. So far all I want to say about the new girl is that here's another 'Mom' who says she's a stay at home mom doing it all, uh no, you have a live in nanny and a cook. And maybe I'm old school but if my son had acted that bratty I would have given him a kick in the ass.

I'll give you a popsicle, right in the ass.

And the dog on the fucking table, too.

• Love 14
(edited)

But, what of Kristen's Pop of Color? Heh.

Did Carole ever finish that book? And no one wants to hear about Adam and how you borrow his hairpins for lunch dates with Ramona.

Ramona did deliver the line "Is there something else you want to munch on?" Or whatever so I'm happy to see them back.

Edited by rustyspigot
  • Love 9

I was lol over Beth noting that the new girl is too skinny.

I don't get Dorinda and John. I agree with Beth that he is a chubby boy. He also tries too hard. But what I don't understand is why Dorinda is with him. She acts like she doesn't even like him when they are together.

I'm getting a Kristin vibe from there new girl. Hopefully her husband isn't a douche like Kristin's. That's was a weird ass meal she cooked. Meatballs, broccoli and chicken soup. And what is up with these NYC moms who don't cut their kids hair? I wanted to take that kid to a barber ASAP.

Moaner is same old. Good to see Lu and Sonja getting along.

• Love 8

I can't believe it took 8 seasons to add a person of color to the cast of this show.

Why did we keep Bethenny? She can't stop talking about herself, her products, and her business. She also can't stop negging her would be friends. Jules is too skinny and I know about being skinny because I wrote about it in my book. Dorinda is a sloppy drunk. John is a handsy, classless opportunist. Sonja and LuAnn are drunks. Who in this cast does she like, other than herself?

Carole seems intent on sleep walking through this season now that her actual friends are out of the cast.

Sonja's house looked nicer and cleaner than it has in a long time. Perhaps she needed to bunk with another howife years ago.

• Love 19

Somebody tell Romona that conversations are a two way exercise. I had to lol when she said Carole should talk more. But Ramona that would mean you need to shut up and listen for at least a few seconds. Never change girl.

Beth's face looks different to me and it's not the haircut which I do like. I also liked Dorinda's shorter cut.

Looks like it will be a fun season. I love the city of NY.

• Love 13

Oh how the mighty have fallen. Countess Laverne & Shirley rooming together in the Townhouse!

Bethennys jewel safe shown and a window with a very identifying objet d'art just outside her daughter's bedroom window. Does she even think?

I fell asleep. Booooring.

• Love 10

Love Bethenny's shorter hair and Dorinda's haircut. Ramona needs to chop some of her hair off. Jules playing with her hair in the restaurant---ick. Luann's voice sounds way, way gravel-y. Smoke much, Luann?

• Love 2

Welcome to season two of 'Bethenny Starting Over'.  OMG, shut up Beth.  You're not all that.  For a woman with a failed marriage, a divorce you just can't seem to settle, and a brand that is going nowhere with an office staff of three (?), who are you to judge everyone else around you.  Oh BTW, my closet is bigger than yours Beth (Sorry, I just couldn't resist because she's just thinks she's so much better than everyone and this is what I'm getting out of this show).  Her apartment is so dull.

And speaking of the show, it's a freaking train wreck.  I don't like anyone.  Carole is my favorite.  Everything is relative.  What does that tell me.

Other notes:

Dorinda's John is ....  Just can't stand him...or Dorinda.

Correct me if I'm wrong but did Beth say she 'had' a mother who had an eating disorder?  I guess from that statement she died or Beth divorced her.  Sad since the woman had a disorder and was a battered wife but....it's all about Beth's pain.  And then we have to listen to her complain about the electric bill.  Well, life is not all about 'winning'.  Build a bridge and get over it.  Settle.   Life isn't so bad for you Beth.  Yeah, the new boyfriend reminded me of Jason as well.  I laughed when Dorinda said that.

Shut up Ramona.

Watched Beth on WWHL.  I think the number one person who up Beth's butt is Andy.  I wonder what the 'female' problem was that she keeps mentioning the doctor asked her if she had a living will.  Doesn't seem like she went through chemo or anything so I can't help but think that this has been a Yo exaggeration.  The censors were busy tonight.  No chastising from Andy.  Cause she's Bethenny....

• Love 14

Welcome to season two of 'Bethenny Starting Over'.  OMG, shut up Beth.  You're not all that.  For a woman with a failed marriage, a divorce you just can't seem to settle, and a brand that is going nowhere with an office staff of three (?), who are you to judge everyone else around you.  Oh BTW, my closet is bigger than yours Beth (Sorry, I just couldn't resist because she's just thinks she's so much better than everyone and this is what I'm getting out of this show).  Her apartment is so dull.

And speaking of the show, it's a freaking train wreck.  I don't like anyone.  Carole is my favorite.  Everything is relative.  What does that tell me.

Other notes:

Dorinda's John is ....  Just can't stand him...or Dorinda.

Correct me if I'm wrong but did Beth say she 'had' a mother who had an eating disorder?  I guess from that statement she died or Beth divorced her.  Sad since the woman had a disorder and was a battered wife but....it's all about Beth's pain.  And then we have to listen to her complain about the electric bill.  Well, life is not all about 'winning'.  Build a bridge and get over it.  Settle.   Life isn't so bad for you Beth.  Yeah, the new boyfriend reminded me of Jason as well.  I laughed when Dorinda said that.

Shut up Ramona.

Watched Beth on WWHL.  I think the number one person who up Beth's butt is Andy.  I wonder what the 'female' problem was that she keeps mentioning the doctor asked her if she had a living will.  Doesn't seem like she went through chemo or anything so I can't help but think that this has been a Yo exaggeration.  The censors were busy tonight.  No chastising from Andy.  Cause she's Bethenny....

Bethenny's mother is alive and well and they hate each other with passion.

• Love 6
(edited)

OK, I guess we'll see how this season goes.  My hunch is -- it ain't gonna be great.  The Bethenny scenes were the least interesting/funny.  The one who I think looks incredible is Moaner.  I mean, seriously, the woman is nearly 60.  And she does bring it.  Carole was/is boring as shit.  But Moaner saying "Reggae" was a hoot.  Sonja & Lu talking about blow jobs, I coulda lived without seeing/hearing/picturing . . . ew.  Same shit from Sonja, but she can be a hoot too.  I don't get what's going on exactly with Lu.  Last season she showed a very nice place she claimed she had on the Upper West Side.  Did that disappear?  Is she marrying this supermarket guy for security, as is suggested on the Lu thread?

I found nothing funny about Bethenny's horrible comments on Jules.  It does seem to set her up as the new Kelly -- for Bethenny to pick on, pick apart & incessantly bully.  Hopefully, Jules is smarter than Kelly, but from what we heard from her about "raising humans" (oy, please), I'm not so sure about Jules' intelligence just yet & how formidable an opponent she'll be to Bethenny.  Anyway, I totally can't stomach public accusations of eating/body disorders -- and this coming from Bethenny, who has admitted she has suffered from them too?  Typical fuckin' Bethenny.  Nasty, nasty, nasty, mean, mean, mean.  Not surprising, but unpleasant as hell to watch.

Bethenny's comments on Carole & her relationship with Adam were telling.  The way it was going last season, it seemed a setup for them to be the stars of show.  And it probably woulda been that way if not for Adam.  Well, kudos to Carole, that she's doing what she wants to do & not letting Bethenny order her around or be her lackey.  Or will Carole turn into Bethenny's lackey as the season unfolds?  If that happens, I'm totally done with you, Carole.

Can't say I have any interest in Dorinda, BUT if she gives it to Bethenny but good for these endless digs on John, then I say awesome -- and that I'll watch & thoroughly enjoy.  Bethenny is acting like an ass when it comes John & she needs to be told off.  I might be in the minority, but I like John.  And Bethenny's & Moaner's constant nasty digs at him behind his back AND on camera make me wanna clunk their heads together HARD -- really, really hard.  They're being assholes.  Tell 'em both off, Dorinda.  But ease up on the drinking, hun, cuz we've seen what a sloppy drunk you are.  At least John seems dependable in picking her up off the floor & making sure she gets home safely.

Ugh, that scene in Bethenny's office with those, poor, poor, poor women who have to work for Bethenny made me cringe & shudder.  Oh my goodness, those women have my deepest, deepest sympathies having to endure working for Bethenny.  If they don't laugh at her stale jokes they must get fired immediately.

Oh, and for anyone who cares, I passed by Sonja's townhouse last night & all the lights were on, but her windows were closed.  Very cold night last night.  Hopefully she can afford heat.  Made me wonder if her finances have changed now that she's out of bankruptcy.  Does her fashion line still exist?  She didn't discuss it.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 20

Man, she really was nasty as shit to Satan Andy.  And he took it too.  Er, huh?  He merely asked her if she'd move back to the Tribeca place.  It was a legitimate question.  And one that, honestly, I wanted to know the answer to also.  But her reply was just so fuckin' snotty.  Well, I pass by the building her old place is in fairly often cuz my best friend lives a few blocks away from it.  The neighborhood is great & the building is great.  I mean, that apartment was & is awesome -- huge windows, tons of space, enormous closets.  Hey, that's pretty fuckin' special & unusual for Manhattan apartments.  This place in Soho?  It's OK, but I'd soooo much rather have the place in Tribeca.  But this is Bethenny.  She's her own worst enemy.  She holds grudges forever.  She probably has a grudge against the Tribeca place cuz shithead Jason held it hostage for so long.

Btw, speaking of shithead Jason, what was up with her date, Jason-alike?  WTF, Bethenny?  Did you kick the shit outta Jason-alike after the date, hun?

• Love 3

I'd like to know why Carole's dog is a service dog.  I am a huge dog lover, but not when people abuse the right for people with disabilities.   And I loved seeing Cookie!  

I felt bad for Avery's friend who Ramona didn't remember after spending a weekend with her.  

• Love 9

I almost died when they showed last season's drunken Dorinda meltdown, and Sonja staring in opened mouth shock. I image not much shocks her, and she was on Scary island, yet Dorinda rendered her speechless.

Forgive the crudeness of the question, but I've been wondering this my whole life. What's with the carrying home of the panties post-hookup? Don't most people remove their underwear before sex? And don't you clean up after? Is it really preferable to go commando rather than put on a few hours old pair of panties? And if you have a freakish aversion to a day's old thong, can't you store an extra in your purse for your walk of shame? Is there a genuine reason to walk home with your panties in a brown bag like Bethenny describes? Is she attempting to preserve DNA? I don't get up.

• Love 20

Yeah,  Beth's comments about Jules were just over the top for me.  Um.  Jules (so far) has a good relationship but Beth 'has' to comment about the height difference.  Jealous much Beth?  And who is Beth to judge anyone about their weight. 

The whole bribing kids is a different issue.  It's complicated with kids.  I don't agree with how Jules handled it.  Jagger had to do a lot more to earn the lollipop.  I hate judging kids but unfortunately, Jules brought him in.

• Love 6

Carole has had PTSD before and she might still have an anxiety disorder, so the service dog may have been for that.

Bethenny was bleeped on WWHL three times, and the third time was for potentially spoiling her own storyline.

• Love 2
(edited)

Dorinda and Ramona's twenty year friendship can bite me. They might have known each other that long and been casual friends but by their own admission they had never been to each others home so using the number to imply a deepness/closeness annoys.

I am glad Bethanny is experiencing the same sort of nonsense from Dorinda that Heather experienced last season.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 10
(edited)

I kinda liked Heather and Kristen, so I guess I'm glad they're off the show and the remaining harpies can squabble amongst themselves. 

Jules seems like she has a chip on her shoulder about being a SAHM, like she feels awkward about it or thinks she has to defend it.  Seemed weird to meet the group and lead off with where she stands on the "mommy wars" when no one was asking.

Otherwise, I was bored.  So much is the same, and much of it isn't that compelling.

Edited by izabella
  • Love 7
(edited)

Bethenny was bleeped on WWHL three times, and the third time was for potentially spoiling her own storyline.

On WWHL, I thought Bethenny said Jules was a JAP, meaning Jewish American Princess, which I thought was a dated (and somewhat offensive) term, not especially used anymore.  I could see her being bleeped for saying "Jap", referring to Jules.  It is racist because she is part Japanese.  Oh yeah, there's that nasty freakin' sense of humor of Bethenny's popping out in full force, eh?  Hey, you wanted her running this thing, Satan Andy & you seem to be A-OK with her talking to you in a rude & disrespectful way.  Hmmmm, is Satan Andy wondering if Jillzy is available to run the show?  Maybe not.  No, that would be far worse -- well, for him at least.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs
  • Love 1

Oh, she definitely said Jappy -- you could read her lips. And I am sure she meant it as the Jewish American Princess way, and since Bethenny identifies as Jewish, I don't think she saw it as harmful. But not only is it an un-PC term, she also said it about a half-Japanese woman and I am sure there were people watching who only know "Jap" as an anti-Japanese slur. I guess it's not a real Frankel WWHL episode without its own inanr controversy.

• Love 7
(edited)

This episode was a snoozefest.

But we'll talk about it:

Liked Jules is in the cast as the 1st woman of color. I can already see Bethenny is nitpicking about her weight(pot called kettle) and her being married to someone with a bank account.

I loved Ramona's little shade about Bethenny's on going divorce. "I wasn't going to drag my divorce on for years like Bethenny."

Edited by BlackMamba
  • Love 6

One thing I like about the NYC women is that, despite all the usual Housewives' cosmetic procedures they partake in, these ladies by and large don't cake on the black eyeliner and overly heavy fake lashes.  Sure, they use some lashes and definitely have makeup on, but they seem more natural in looks (as relative to the HWs universe) and, to my eye, more youthful.

So, was the point of Dorinda telling John to give money to the (apparently) homeless man some kind of redemption plan from last year's faux pas story of thinking a lawyer in a wheelchair was begging for spare change?

I'm glad these crazy chicks are back though; inasmuch as I think their fights get stupid, at least I know what they're fighting about, unlike that BH mess.

• Love 21
(edited)

Jules comments about her husband prefering Eastern European types made me laugh. Aren't there lots of Jews in Eastern Europe? My husband is Jewish and he has Russian roots. And he's tall and dark. I would think there are lot of tall dark Jewish ladies in Eastern Europe. Beth commented on WWHL that she sees lots of UES Jewish women who look just like Jules.

As for Carole and the dog, I think saying he was a service dog was a joke. I think they walked up to the store and there must have been a sign in the window that said service dogs only. So Carole said yeah he's a service dog and kind of laughed.

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 9

Carole has had PTSD before and she might still have an anxiety disorder, so the service dog may have been for that.

My take on that was that it was just a cute-ish attempt at an excuse to take the dog into the store...real therapy dogs usually have tags on their collars proclaiming 'therapy dog' or some such as proof. I know, I used to own a real therapy dog who visited nursing homes on an almost daily basis.

Bethenny...bored by her and her schtick is beyond old. Every 'witty' quip feels rehearsed in front of her mirror and revolves around sex, genitals and equally high school cleverness. 40-ish + year old women, supposedly sophisticated and reasonably educated virtually entire conversations revolve around their sex-lives, dissing everyone they know and drinking.

Speaking for myself, they're boring, limited as shit and need to get a hobby..several hobbies. They live in frigging New York City--do any of them ever hit a museum, Broadway, a restaurant which hasn't paid an appearance fee to them or do anything other than be self absorbed? Boring, boring, boring. And Bethenny can get off my TV now and forever; she's an obnoxious, self-centered mean girl who wallows in whatever it is she has over Andy Cohen and Bravo. Make her take her crappy products and go away. I'm a very long way from a prude but she might want to maybe get her fucking mouth out of the gutter and expand her conversational attempts beyond vaginas and blow jobs.

• Love 8

No fellow Hamilton fans?

"Talk less. Smile more."

--Aaron Burr

I definitely perked up when I heard that.  I'm obsessed with Hamilton.  And of course Carole would name drop it, and of course Ramona would have no idea what she was talking about.  

So, as suspected, this is full on Bethenny Starting Over, but now that Heather is off the cast, I don't care.  There's no one else I like, really, so if they want to decimate everyone else to protect Bethenny, have at it.  I can decide whether or not to watch.

Bethenny absolutely 100% thinks she is the Queen Bee.  There was a rumor that she is actually a producer; is that true, I don't know.  But she is acting like one.  She's narrating the show.  Her blog provides her rating of every other housewife and whether they are "clean" or "dirty" this season, including how much air time they're gong to get and what their storylines are going to be.  She's not even trying to act like anything else is going on.

I think the Carole dynamic is intriguing.  Clearly both Bravo and Bethenny thought they could make Carole Bethenny's new BFF (they even announced that Carole and Bethenny were BFFs in Bethenny's closing blurb last season). And Carole doesn't seem to be going along with that narrative.  She didn't even film with Bethenny for the season premiere. According to Bethenny, she is "sluggish" at returning calls.  And her blog is not negative about Carole; but not particularly enthusiastic.

After spending last season protecting Dorinda (for instance, downplaying the insanity of how she attacked Heather on vacation, and lowballing her drinking problems), the producers seem to have designated Dorinda as the villain this season.  Dorinda and Luann.  They both have it coming, so I'm not upset about it. I don't like Sonja either - I don't think she's nearly as nice as people say she is - so if they go after Sonja, also fine.  Wow, it's so relaxing not to have a housewife to care about!

The Bethenny thing is funny to me.  I do wonder if she's "on" something - she is manic and frantic.  And her so-called business acumen is, literally, laughable.  Her big insight is that you have to be disruptive?  Use social media? Not just have launch events and tastings?  Her strategic advice to her interns is to have sex in the office, as long as they're being creative? And to be more like a Kardashian?  Honestly - this is delusional.  At one time, she did seem to have genuine business savvy.  I don't know if this was just a bad scene, but - yikes.  (And of course, we have an entire scene about Bethenny building her brand, a full on commercial. It would bother me more if it weren't so incompetent!)

I actually liked the season premiere, more than it sounds like I did.  The relationships seemed more interesting (forced and silly, but interesting), and since I don't like ANY of them, then I don't have to worry about them being mistreated or thrown under the Bethenny bus.  And if I'm REALLY lucky, maybe they will overplay their hand to the point of creating a real Bethenny Backfire.  Yay!

• Love 17

I see Ramona is still the same old Ramona. She doesn't remember Avery's friend who spent the entire weekend with their family in the Hamptons. She goes on and on about herself, but never inquires as to how Carole has been doing. She can't remember the bartender's name (and the bartender knew hers, so I think she goes there a lot). How awkward for Avery to join her mother at a bar and watch her flirting and fumbling to pronounce words. I would pass on that. 

I see Sonja has her interns learning about the ever-so-important business skill of refurbishing furniture. With a Sharpie.

Could have really done without the BJ instructions from her and the Countess. 

John is really going to work my nerves this season. It's so tacky how he turns everything into a dry cleaning pitch. He also acts like a 10-year-old with his constant jokes and groping. 

It's interesting when Bethenny talks about him and Dorinda, she keeps using words like "messed up" instead of just "drunk". It made me wonder if she was implying that they do something more than just drink. At any rate, Dorinda clearly has an unhealthy relationship with alcohol if she can't have fun at a party without it. 

I'm not sure what to think of the new girl and her husband yet, but their kids are clearly very spoiled. Look, parenting is hard and meal time can SUCK. I know. But don't try to play off your son skipping dinner and still getting a popsicle as some brilliant negotiating on his part. More like a lack of backbone on your part. The woman had cooked like 10 different meals (Spaghetti plain and with meatballs, salad, broccoli - what? - soup), and she even said she made the noodles plain for HIM. So if it was something he liked, he definitely should have had some before getting desert. But whatever, just own that you indulge their every whim. 

And Dear God, WHY was Carole carrying her dog's poop around in a cup and taking it INTO stores and placing it ON their counters??? No. Just no. 

• Love 12