Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E03: Week 3

• Start Topic

(edited)

What are I not seeing???  but I just don't care for Ginger Zee.  Bleahhh.... Plus it didn't help that I hate that song.  Is she the only one who's ever had a baby.  Give it a rest.  Ugh

Edited by Fishy
  • Love 8

At least find some baby headphones for the five month old baby, Ginger and/or her husband. Geez. And then there was Witney in the background doing the shush motion to the baby. He's not screaming to annoy you personally, Witney!

Mischa just can't help herself with the bitch comments. She was "better" this week, but it was still nothing more than very simple club dancing at one-fourth speed. She clearly doesn't like Artem and isn't having much fun doing this show. At least she is leaving. She looked thrilled and relieved about it. Lol

• Love 2
(edited)

They should have let Kermit sing Rainbow Connection.  The arrangement was just too disjointed for me.  

Also, dancing to the National Anthem?  Should the audience have been standing?  

That set for Kim Fields was very cool--took me back. I liked their fox trot as well. 

Nyle always surprises me in how handsome he is...Rowr! And, also, a rowr for his interpreter as well.  I hope Peta works more light/shade into their routines.  He can handle it. 

ETA: I am tired of contemporaries, but at least there was no "riding a bicycle leg motion" while being lifted tonight. I don't know why but that move just annoys me to no end. 

Edited by gryphon
  • Love 10

Sigh … contemporary … blah. I’m so tired of contemporaries in general, but especially on “most memorable year” night because it’s always the same story-of-my-amazing-life dance. Other than Alexa’s dance against her eating disorder it’s always either about meeting their spouse/getting married/having a child or a lift-a-palooza and both are getting boring and played out. And really, it’s starting to seem like a cop out.

Can we start a “down with contemporaries!!” petition?

Also, was Ginger’s husband wearing a sequined baby carrier? On one hand I admire the guy for playing along, but on the other I think bringing out the new baby with husband might be a new low for DWTS.

Mischa’s not-samba was her best dance, in a Bristol Palin type way. It wasn’t good and the judges were probably coached to not give her 5s, but Mischa did look like she was having more fun and Artem looked waaay less annoyed than last week.  I think she’s a great example for what (the better) pros are looking for; if they know you’re not going to win the whole thing, they want you to learn and have fun. I think that was what was most frustrating for Artem last week because Mischa was the epitome of DGAF. I’m glad he called her out on it.

I’m kind of disappointed Peta seems to want to excuse Nyle’s shortcomings because he’s deaf. I think that’s shortchanging him, because he seems smart and capable and she should be able to teach him musicality. Because there’s a big difference in mood between, say Beethoven’s 5th Symphony and Mozart’s Eine Kleine Nachtmusik and I expect her to convey that to him so he can in turn show me. I believe he can. But I also believe she’s gotten lucky in that two of his three dances so far were fast and hard and fierce, but if she’s not careful she’s going to fall into Allison territory where every dance becomes flat and unappealing because it’s so frantic and harsh. Nyle deserves better.

Jodie and Keo in jeopardy is interesting. Seems like even a good dancer can't break Keo's curse.

Can we still vote for #JodieArtem for the switch up? Because that’s all I really want to see. At the very least, come back with Edtya, Artem! <3

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm not a big fan of the Most Memorable Year theme, but tonight's wasn't nearly as weepy as last season's.

Jodie, Wanya and Nyle remain my favorites, and I thought they all danced well tonight. I liked Aaron's dance, too (his son is adorable). And points to Von for going shirtless. He knows his audience!

Mischa looked relieved when she and Artem were eliminated.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 2

Did I sadly predict what Doug's year would be?  Yes.  Did I also cry like an idiot during his dance?  Damn straight.  (Lacks Kermit though.)

Grandpappy Len was extra grouchy tonight especially when he was yelling at Carrie Ann before she really started commenting on Mark/Paige.  Yeesh.  Though I saw his point: if this was a contemporary dance,  this would have been awesome.  For a paso...it had the strength and aggression, but where was the cape and bull aspect?

I think Nyle's problem is going to be learning songs that don't have a noticeable rhythm.  Tonight and 2 weeks ago had songs that had strong and fast beats that Peta can translate to visual cues easier.  Last week didn't have that.  I am happy they scored the first 9 of the season.   

Mischa?  Meh.  Her attitude after her dance last week did her no favours and I think Artem knew to make an easy dance to make her happy since they were toast.

The right person left tonite.  It struck me when watching that Antonio and Sharna have zero chemistry..whether it is simply Antonio's ego getting in the way or some other factor, they just don't seem to mesh. 
I was totally weirded out by Wayna dancing to the National Anthem.  It really detracted from the dance.  

Ginger has new momitis....hopefully she will get over it soon..I doubt it though

The Facts of Life foxtrot made me smile.  Jodi is showing why she has the potential to win.  Von was throwing Witney around like she was a doll.  He comes across far more likeable than Antonio.  Douh may have stumbled but I thought he came across as totally authentic which may save him next week.  Nyle dances better than many who can hear the music.  Marla is totally forgettable.  Her daughter Tiffany sounds like her half sister Ivanka.

• Love 2

I think Mark killed it with that choreography tonight.  I really thought that was a great dance.

Kim's dance was fun for me because I love "Facts of Life".  And how sweet that Charlotte Rae was there supporting her.

Marla continues to impress me, and I enjoyed Wanya and Vonn also.

• Love 3

Didn't Jodie go first last week and second the first week? I would think that's more playing into the "in jeopardy" then her relationship with Keo. With Mischa gone, Jodie should soak up some of those votes.

My problem with Nyle is that his dancing still looks like he is performing from rote memorization. He doesn't feel the music like the others do, so the performance falls just flat. I noticed it more when he was in group shots. He just could not feel the beat and move like the others were until he copied. He's pretty to look at, but his dances still feel dead to me. I think that's what Carrie Ann was trying to explain, but it's hard to do without calling out the deafness.

I'm really not sure who is going to be eliminated next week. Maybe Marla or Von (nooooooo...)? Everyone seems so similar in ability, except for Paige and Wanya.

Ginger the first ever working mom, yo!

Did you know she just had a baby?

I said this last season too: when they say most memorable year, I thought they had to dance to a song from that year. Although I guess Marla was "Happy" about her most memorable year? Maybe I just don't understand the theme.

I was surprised Jodie was in the bottom 3. I thought she did well tonight so maybe that will help. I really like Wanya, too. He has a lot of charisma. I did not think Nyle deserved a 9. I thought his footwork was a little messy.

(edited)

Thank gawd Mischa has been put out of her misery (and ours).

The Star Spangled Banner? I guess I should be grateful the split up to here dress wasn't flag themed.

It surprised me that Marla brought up when she met "Tiffany's father", not due to any current poliical controversies, but because the...overlap with his first and second wives was pretty tawdry and notorious, and there's a segment of DwtS viewers who've gotten pearl-clutchy over much, much less. In contrast, Antonio highlighted his kids without bringing their mother(s? not sure) into it.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 4

I said this last season too: when they say most memorable year, I thought they had to dance to a song from that year. Although I guess Marla was "Happy" about her most memorable year? Maybe I just don't understand the theme.

I think they used to do a song from that year that the star picked, but backed off. Iirc, they were having licensing issues since stars wanted stuff that wasn't pre-cleared. That was also around the time when DWTS really started picking viral celebrities over seasoned stars, which meant everyone was picking a year within the previous three years.

• Love 1
(edited)

I have never seen someone look more relieved to be eliminated. This show is just not a good idea for some people and that was most definitely the case for Mischa. I kind of knew she was heading home once the judges pulled out those very generous 6's and were so nice to her. It totally felt like "you're leaving anyway so here's a gift". Poor Artem though - he didn't even compete last season after a clusterfuck that left him without a celebrity and then to come back with a celebrity who was an awful dancer and lacked the motivation and confidence to want to get better. 

The rest of the night was interesting (not sure that's actually a good interesting). I'm surprised the scores were so middle of the road considering it was Memorable Week, but seems like the judges weren't playing around tonight, especially Len (seriously how many times did he get booed tonight). Thing is I can't say they were unfair in most of their scoring. There were very few wow moments tonight in my opinion. It's late and I'm too tired to go through everyone so I'll just mention the ones that immediately come to mind. 

Val and Ginger - Well that was incredibly boring. First of all, I don't know who that was singing in the band but they need to never sing that song again. It took at least two/three lines for me to really tell that was Home and I love that song. Dude sounded awful. But back to the actual dancing - um Val, what happened there buddy? Because that was some mediocre ass choreography. You know it's bad when the judges pull out 7's for a contemporary, considering how they love to over-score those on the show. But that was really bad and really, really freaking boring. Nothing really happened. They just ran around, stopped here and there, he sort of held her a few times and then there was some barely there lift or or two and it was over. Weird...the whole thing felt very, very amateurish to me and I know Ginger is capable of much more than she was given there and I know Val can do better than that. 

Von and Witney - I continue to be completely and utterly unimpressed with Witney's choreography and while I get what Carrie Ann is saying about Von, the thing is dance, at least this type of dancing, is not natural to him and so yeah it's kind of normal that there is some restraint and maybe a lack of full confidence from him. That said, I do think that could hurt him because right now it's making him come off incredibly bland and Antonio is likely winning on the personality front. And personality on this show, can take you far. 

Wanya and Lindsay - Speaking of personality, boy does Wanya have it. I wanted to see him perform a ballroom standard dance because I wasn't sure if he was just a one trick pony and would only be great at the Latin dances, because of all the rhythm. But he proved me wrong. There were some parts that were a little shaky and awkward but Wanya is most definitely in this to win it. And I definitely see him making Top 5, if not the Final 3. At this point, on dance ability and performance, I'd say this is a race between him and Nyle. 

Nyle and Peta - Speaking of Nyle, he did an amazing job and I give him all the props in the world but was I the only one who thought that choreography by Peta looked an awful lot like Maks' tango with Meryl, even down to Peta's costume? Seriously, when they moved from the stairs and the chair, I literally got the image of Maks and Meryl in my head and it totally weirded me out. And then the whole ending of walking away holding hands into the light - um yeah. So it's like on the one hand I'm happy for Nyle because he's just doing the choreography he's taught but on the hand, I'm side-eyeing Peta. I don't think getting engaged means it's okay to just jack Maks' choreography for her dance with her celebrity. 

Jodie and Keo - Poor Jodie. It's entirely possible that the "in jeopardy" call was just a scare but I would not be surprised if she really was and I partly blame the judges for that. I think Jodie has been way underscored for the first two weeks and both times she also went really early. In a sea of bigger names and more inspiring contestants and those getting showered with love from the judges, it's easy to get lost and I think she's getting lost right now. And the reality is Keo is in no way a Pro that's popular enough to carry them for a number of weeks of average scores. She needs that huge breakout performance or she will be the season's big shock boot and that will suck because I think she's a really great dancer. Her dance tonight was gorgeous and I liked the vulnerability and honesty she showed. I also have to give props to Keo who I've admitted not being the biggest fan of but I think he's really trying with the choreography and really trying to step up his game. 

Paige and Mark - Glad to see Mark dancing and hopefully all is well with his physical health. And it wouldn't be Mark without the costume and makeup. I knew as soon as I was watching the dance that Len would not love it and I think Mark knew as well. At least he had a good attitude about it this time as opposed to his whinging at other times when Len slams one of his more unconventional choreography. I will say it wasn't personally my favorite Paso Doble but I do think Paige nailed the actual Paso steps that were in the dance. Paige is clearly a really good dancer and I think this may end up being a fight between her, Nyle and Wanya, with Ginger maybe rounding out the Top 4. Not because the latter's that great in my opinion, but because she's on GMA, the judges clearly seem to like her and she has Val. 

Did Peta and Nyle just recreate Maks and Meryl's Tango?

Yup, what I just said. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2
(edited)

Well, let's get "personal story" week over with.  I really dislike this theme week.

Ginger - Well, at least they started dancing when the music started but that was very simplistic choreography.  There was also a bit too much stop+smile pauses. No flow. What is going on here? Ginger is an experienced dancer. I realize she's recovering from having a baby but Val is really holding back.  The scores are probably fair but I kind of feel it was too high since the choreography is so below what I believe is her skill level.

Doug - I love this song but not this particular singer's performance.  You're looking for smoothness in the dance while listening to a very unsmooth, broken vocal.  It struck me as cruel to have the judges babble on about Doug's story/dance (and yes, I do think the story affects the comments and scores).  Doug is still a little stiff and there was a little stumble but he did a beautiful job - I don't know how they held it together.  I wish they'd given all 7s.

Kim - Very cute foxtrot, light on her feet. Kind of a "standard issue" dance but it was enjoyable.  She's still seems stiff from the waist-up but not as bad this week.  A little OTT at Len's comments.  That was not an 8-level of choreography or performance. All 7s would have been right.

Von - He's fairly light on his feet but I didn't care for the choreography.  It seemed more for and about Witney.  Yes, he's big and strong and throws Witney around with ease but what part of that was about Von?  Scores were fine.

Marla - good effort but it looked labored. The kicks + flicks were noticeably abbreviated.  I think the Jive is hard for the tall ones with their long legs.  Agree with the scores.

The show seems quite dull so far.

Antonio - Antonio's best dance so far - but - I think he still has posture and shoulder problems. (Hard for the judges to comment with his little mini-me standing right there?)  I wonder if he put in more rehearsal time & effort since his son was there.  Agree with the scores.

Paige - Finally! A little excitement on the dance floor. I loved it. Len needs to loosen up - I saw plenty of Paso elements. Underscored. Should have been at least all 8s.

Jodi - That seemed more like a contemporary/foxtrot fusion, but it was performed well.  But I guess Len didn't have a problem with the choreo this time. Agree with the scores.

Mischa - She's blaming Artem for HER attitude?  Oh well. I think she made a real effort to look happy during that dance.  A very rudimentary  Samba, but I think she's leaving tonight and it would be nice to go pleasantly so I'm ok with the scores.

Wanya - Very fast for a waltz but performed well.  I saw posture and shoulder problems.  I'd never heard that rendition of the anthem before - is it normally that fast? Or did they speed it up to fit the dance?  Anyway, very nice dance.  Agree with the scores. (I thought they might have popped a 9 for that, but glad they didn't.)

Nyle - The audience all have ring lights? Again very fast! Are these singers on speed or something?  It just didn't feel like a tango - there wasn't any heat or emotional tension. Agreed with Len on that.  Overscored. The 9 was way way too much, even all 8s seemed a bit high.

No surprise at the elimination. I was a little jarred by Jodi's big smile at Mischa.

Did I hear correctly - Zendaya is going to guest judge?  I don't know, I find that a little offensive. But I guess Val & Ginger don't have to worry about their score next week.

Edited by Uke
  • Love 1
(edited)
I’m kind of disappointed Peta seems to want to excuse Nyle’s shortcomings because he’s deaf. I think that’s shortchanging him, because he seems smart and capable and she should be able to teach him musicality. Because there’s a big difference in mood between, say Beethoven’s 5th Symphony and Mozart’s Eine Kleine Nachtmusik and I expect her to convey that to him so he can in turn show me. I believe he can. But I also believe she’s gotten lucky in that two of his three dances so far were fast and hard and fierce, but if she’s not careful she’s going to fall into Allison territory where every dance becomes flat and unappealing because it’s so frantic and harsh. Nyle deserves better.

I don't think she was shortchanging him as she was pointing out that it's difficult for any non dancer to learn musicality in week two. I don't think it's insulting to note that it's even more difficult for Nyle because he is deaf. To me, it sounded like she was saying he could learn that musicality, but it's going to take time since it had been only week two. Carrie Ann should just be more careful in how she phrases things. Don't use words that don't adequately convey what you're trying to say. She tend to be outrageous and dare I say misinformed. Critiquing musicality for a deaf dancer does seem ridiculous. I don't think that means Nyle won't get better at it, but I think it was important for Peta to acknowledge that someone who can't hear music, will have a hard time expressing musicality. I personally think she's doing a great job with him. I think credit goes to both of them, because he looks awesome out there. IMO he appears to move naturally. I'm impressed that he doesn't look stiff and robotic. I am excited for them to get more ballroom dances. I think Nyle has a lot of potential and the sky seems to be the limit for him. I loved how emotional Peta was when they got their scores. It seems like a genuine partnership where she's invested and wants him to succeed. A real contrast to the Mischa/Artem pairing.

MIscha leaving is good for everyone involved. Artem is relieved of that...duty and Mischa doesn't have to feign enthusiasm. It was painful to watch her dance, because not only was she an awkward dancer, but she didn't appear enthusiastic to be there at all. I really wish Artem had been paired with Jodie. Height wise, I think it would have made more sense to pair them together and Keo with Mischa. 

Regarding the similarity between the Nyle/Peta and Meryl/Maks tango i went back and watched both to see if I was missing something and honestly besides the ending, I didn't see a blatant ripoff. Of course there's going to be similarities in all tangos because of techniques and moves, but the tone felt slightly different. They did have similar music, but nothing felt blatant to me.

Edited by SophiaPehawkins
  • Love 2

I hate "Home". I thought we were rid of it- it was literally everywhere for awhile, like in dog food commercials. Also Phillip Phillips is a stupid name. Re Ginger's dance: eh. I thought ABT or something might be part of the contemporary routine since they met up at Lincoln Center, but I guess it's too early to have that kind of filler. Kind of into Val's man bun.

"I'm 4 foot 7, but I'm still above ground!" Love you Mrs. Garrett.

I'm glad Tony has a decent partner this season. It's about time. She's the oldest woman, but unlike past seasons, she's not too old to function. I love that Marla danced in honor of Tiffany since Trump forgot about her completely last week during his speech. Not sure what the song had to do with her favorite year of 1993, which makes the whole theme week pretty pointless.

I think UFC is stupid and I think I can't get past that and like Paige. Mark's (hopefully fake) neck tattoo was grotesque.

Of the 3 football players, I'd like Antonio to be the last one standing. I can see Doug going home next week.

I spent Wanya's whole dance trying to figure out Lindsay's dress. It had upside down cleavage with underboob on one side. And a string holding it together? So weird. It doesn't even look sexy or alluring, just weird.

Glad Peta called out CAI's comments about Nyle musicality. That's like complaining about Amy Purdee's leg extension or that Noah's arm wasn't in the correct position for the waltz. I know the deaf community doesn't view hearing impairment as a disability, but with dancing, they are at a disadvantage when it comes to interpreting the tone music they can't hear- on top of learning to dance, on top of learning to dance through an interpreter. Give the man some time to progress. CAI practically creamed herself every week over Noah and Amy overcoming obstacles, but because Nyle has all his limbs, it suddenly doesn't count?

I wish the judges would prepare their comments for Nyle a little better so the interpreter doesn't have to fumble over their nonsense words.

It was interesting to see the preview commercial for next week's Disney night and see all the 10s from past seasons. We've only seen one 9 thus far and it was in the last dance.

• Love 1

I really don't like them dancing to the National Anthem. And yes- why wasn't the audience standing? Doug made me cry. Jodie made me cry. Tootie made me grin! How cool to see Mrs. Garrett, Aunt Becky, and Danny again? Nyle is just yummy. And a good dancer.

I guess they decided Erin talked to much. I noticed they cut her out of most of the second half of the show. I don't dislike her, but I'd be okay if it was just Tom.

Anyone else remember when he and Jeff Probst were hosts on FX, introducing shows like Hart To Hart, Dynasty, and Trapper John, MD?

• Love 1

I was glad to see Mischa looking relatively happy, and they had a decent dance tonight, but I'm glad she was the one sent home.

Doug has virtually no chance of winning, but I'm glad he's still around. I liked the dance a lot, but then Karina rules the waltz. She's just a beautifully fluid dancer, and I don't think I've ever seen one of her waltzes that I didn't enjoy.

Tiffany Trump looked like a mashup of her sister Ivanka with Mackenzie Phillips. Marla is a pretty good dancer, but what's nice is seeing Tony so happy.

Agree that the national anthem was an odd choice for Wanya's dance, and that it seemed disrespectful that the audience wasn't standing.

One of my favorite dances tonight was Mark and Paige's. I guess if the judges said it didn't have much paso content, they know what they're talking about, but as a viewer, I thought it was great. I really admire Mark as a choreographer. He always seems to find a creative way to express who his partner is and what she wants to say. He's grown on me a lot in recent seasons, and I'm glad he was well enough to dance tonight.

Critiquing musicality for a deaf dancer does seem ridiculous. I don't think that means Nyle won't get better at it, but I think it was important for Peta to acknowledge that someone who can't hear music, will have a hard time expressing musicality.

I think if Nyle is literally taking most of his cues visually from Peta she needs to take a step back from Allison-land and tone down her attack on the steps and work with him on mimicking her expression. I think that's what Carrie Ann meant by her blanket term of "musicality". Or at least, I think that's what would help Nyle the most at this point. If he's got a weak spot that's going to be it.

• Love 2

I think if Nyle is literally taking most of his cues visually from Peta she needs to take a step back from Allison-land and tone down her attack on the steps and work with him on mimicking her expression. I think that's what Carrie Ann meant by her blanket term of "musicality". Or at least, I think that's what would help Nyle the most at this point. If he's got a weak spot that's going to be it.

Yeah, I thought Nyle actually seemed less frantic and in your face than Peta in the dance tonight. Peta dances very in your face at all times and if he is taking all his cues from watching her style, it is going to become very overwhelming for both of them to be dancing at that high intensity at all times. There were a couple of moments tonight when she had an Allison style flail.

The paps have photographed Maks outside the studio basically every day and he was in Texas with them as well for part of last week so I think she may be using Maks as a model to teach him some moves which may balance her intensity out a bit. Maks dances strong but not quite so forcefully as Peta does.

• Love 1
(edited)

I won't disagree with you. Personally, if felt like a strong and harsh criticism so early on considering Nyle's deafness. It's certainly a learning process for both him and Peta. I think it could have all been avoided if Carrie Ann had expressed herself more clearly.

Edited by SophiaPehawkins
  • Love 1
(edited)

I’ve stated that TPTB want a male winner this season. Only two men have won since season 14 and in an effort to even up the balance that’s what they want to happen. They seem to be backing Wanya and Nyle. Wanya because he’s an entertainer and has gotten good treatment thus far. Good packages, his placement in the order each week is in the second half and nothing lower than a 23, plus a full on “AMERICA” themed dance tonight. Nyle because they’d love to have the first ever winner with a disability. He probably has the votes and also notice how he’s been in the second half each week as well.

The two strongest women, Paige and Jodie, are creeping up so they naturally wanna knock them down a peg, more Jodie than Paige. They want a female in the finals for sure, just not to win. Paige has gotten good scores and good packages, but her downfall in the placement. 2nd, 4th, and now 7th, which isn’t bad but still her dance was right at the start of the second half. Jodie has gotten horrible treatment. Each dance underscored, bad placement overall (4th, 1st, 8th), and tonight’s in jeopardy. They want to make it seem like she doesn’t have the votes, and the “in jeopardy” gives off a façade of “well she’s going home soon” type of thing. No one has won being in jeopardy this early before, 2nd and 3rd yes, but not winning.

Edited by PBGamer89
  • Love 1

I feel like by week three you really start getting a sense of who is going to separate themselves from the pack and if I were picking the F4 based on dance ability it would be Nyle, Wanya, Paige and Jodie. Of course that rarely happens, but those are the four best dancers IMO.

I still love Kim and I thik she and Sasha are a great match. I also want her flawless skin. I really like Doug, though not necessarily as a dancer. I just like him. I think he will be safe next week due to his story. I'm actually not sure who I think will go next week...maybe Marla? She's not bad at all, but I feel like she's a bit boring and forgettable and I can't imagine what sort of fanbase she has.

I don't mind the judges giving out lower scores. It beats that season when the judges were handing out perfect scores in week three to mediocre dances.

Though I have to say, what is it up with Val's choreography this season? Does he not know how to showcase Ginger or does he just not care? I'm not sure I've ever seen him produce such blatantly bad choreography.

• Love 2

Most Memorable Year week is usually my least favorite theme because of all the weeping and handwringing. Tonight wasn't too bad all things considered though it was a little boring. 

I want to like Ginger more than I do. Every week I get excited to see her dance and then I am underwhelmed. I don't know if it is her dancing or Val's choreo or some combo of the two that is lacking but they are missing something. 

Of the two current football players, I far prefer Antonio but I think that may be a product of their partners. Witney's choreography hasn't done much for me this season and the size difference with Von is distracting. Antonio and Sharna seem better matched so I always end up enjoying their dances more. Von's dance tonight was especially snooze worthy. 

I have a soft spot for Doug and loved the feeling of his dance but he should be the next one to go.

Marla has been a really pleasant surprise to me this season. I think her week 1 dance is still my favorite of hers but she is doing an admirable job and I do really enjoy her partnership with Tony. 

There aren't enough words to express my feelings about Mischa. 

Even though it was relatively simple and straightforward, I think Kim's dance was one of my favorites tonight. It was cute and appropriate for her theme and she danced it well. Plus I am a sucker for that theme song. 

Jodie's dance felt like it was about half as long as everyone else's. I really, really liked the dancing she did do but it felt like she didn't do very much. 

I hated dancing to the National Anthem but Wanya made me like his dance anyway. He is absolutely my favorite so far this season. I love his attitude, I love his style, I love his dancing, I love his partnership with Lindsay. 

Nyle danced really well but I agree that Peta needs to slow it down or add some nuances to her choreo to make it all a little less forceful. I thought the 9 was an overscore for sure. He had some posture and footing issues at various points. All 8s would have been fair. 

• Love 1

Though I have to say, what is it up with Val's choreography this season? Does he not know how to showcase Ginger or does he just not care? I'm not sure I've ever seen him produce such blatantly bad choreography.

I really wonder if it's a body thing with Ginger. She had a c-section and she's probably got very uncomfortable boobs. Val's choreography feels held back more then lazy and I'm beginning to think they are running into problems with how Ginger is feeling. I noticed tonight especially that she seemed hunched over when she stood, like she was protecting her incision. I also think the work and travel schedule might be getting them down as well.

• Love 2

And I just realized that I totally forgot about Paige. This happens every week. This does not bode well for her. She is a great dancer but I seriously never remember that she is on this show until she is on the screen dancing. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I have hated the inclusion of contemporary since day one. One of the reasons is because the judges don't know how to critique it or score it. Once they had given those lackluster contemporaries 7's they were in a bind how to score people who had ballroom . I think although far from perfect, Kim, Jodie and Marla deserved better scores than the contemporary because I think theirs was a more difficult task between being in hold and doing specific steps.

And I usually agree with Len, but I saw quite a bit of Paso in mark and the fighter's dance,

Edited by Packerbrewerbadger
  • Love 4

Bye Mischa. There was a small part of me before this season begun I had hoped she would do better than what she did. She was bad and then she was also pretty miserable throughout the whole process. I don't know if that's just her personality or if it was that hard for her to take.

I thought Jodie's dance was good and I am impressed with Nyle. It also makes me mad that CIA fangirled over Noah every week and ignored many of his shortcomings in dance-I distinctly remember him messing up a little and not one of the judges would bat an eye- and overscore him for...reasons. 

I won't disagree with you. Personally, if felt like a strong and harsh criticism so early on considering Nyle's deafness. It's certainly a learning process for both him and Peta. I think it could have all been avoided if Carrie Ann had expressed herself more clearly.

I think CAI brought it up early so that Peta could work on it now, while there's still bad dancers for cover. If the first time this comes up is two or three weeks from now it gives Peta far less time to come up with ways to tackle the issue. I thought already tonight, Nyle was a little better. His sharpness matched the music and his expression matched the lyrics. Its not perfect but I think it's a solid start.

I loved Paige's dance and I thought there was a lot of Paso content, but what it was really lacking was the Paso character. I normally hate contemporary but I'm looking forward to her contemporary. It better not happen during switchup week. Mark getting to choreograph a contemporary dance with someone with Paige's abilities would be kind of amazing.

Wanya's dance was nice, but the feel was weird because it was to the anthem. 

Jodie was actually inspiring. I love Andra Day so much so I was predisposed to like it, but she had a lovely lyrical movement and I think Keo finally choreographed something more to her level and personality. 

No one else was bad except Mischa. Even Doug with his stumble was still okay. He got into the dance and connected with Karina. Von disappointed me a little. I agreed that there wasn't much energy in the first half of the dance.

Still, I though this was a better Most Memorable Year week than others. Very little dead family members and nothing that felt like obvious pandering for votes.

• Love 2

Other than Doug there were no dead family members, right? (I was only half paying attention.) And even his story was more about his parents and the connection they had, not just that they had died. So all in all, that's a pretty successful "most memorable year" show because honestly, after having Bindi dedicate everything to her dad all last season if they do another teary dead family member tribute like that again it'll be too soon.

I loved Paige's dance and I thought there was a lot of Paso content, but what it was really lacking was the Paso character.

I feel like this about a lot of Mark's dances. He gets so caught up in his theme a lot of the time that he forgets it's still a ballroom dance.

• Love 2

I don't think she was shortchanging him as she was pointing out that it's difficult for any non dancer to learn musicality in week two. I don't think it's insulting to note that it's even more difficult for Nyle because he is deaf. To me, it sounded like she was saying he could learn that musicality, but it's going to take time since it had been only week two. Carrie Ann should just be more careful in how she phrases things. Don't use words that don't adequately convey what you're trying to say.

What I recall CAI saying was that he didn't match the TONE of the dance. I didn't think her comments were that unclear or inappropriate for week 2. I thought she was saying the overall feel of the way Nyle danced last week didn't quite match the song, and honestly I think bringing up something like that should happen. (I also agreed with her. He was great, but it just wasn't quite the right emotion conveyed.) He's good enough that that CAN be addressed, and letting it go on without mentioning it is doing him a disservice. If I were Peta, I'd have a number of people I trusted listen to the music and write down adjectives or impressions that it gives them, then show him/tell him the ones she agrees with to help get across what the song feels like. I can see why CAI would have trouble succinctly explaining it, because I'm still not sure I've managed to do so clearly. :P

I almost flipped to The Voice when I saw this week's theme, but I stuck it out. I'm glad I did. It seemed less full of death and sobbing than usual. I give Doug a pass for the parental love story (and because losing both your parents the same day has to be really, really tough.)

• Love 1
(edited)

Whomever handles Mischa should never have allowed her to do this show, knowing how mentally fragile she is. I mean, you just don't get committed on a 51/50 if your mental health is normal.

Having that baby on was stupid. I'm sick of the manipulations.

My apologies to anyone who likes them, but I just can't stand full body tattoos. Von has a killer body, but way too many tats.

Poor Doug Flutie. Such a sad story about his parents. Totally heartbreaking.

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 8
(edited)

So outside of Nyle (and Mischa who is mercifully gone)....everyone got between a 20 and 23?? It does feel like there is a muddle of dancers that are in a very narrow range even if certain individuals have more performance quality, or quality of movement, or something else that jumps out in a positive way.

I enjoyed Mark and Paige's Paso fight dance, although I knew Len would underscore it (only 1 point...I was afraid he might give them a 6). I think Wanya was exposed a little bit (and if he gets a quickstep he might be again), but I still enjoyed Lindsay's choreography and his movement. He is just so fluid for a bigger guy, it's fun to watch. I really liked Jodie tonight, if only Keo would have laid off the shaken baby parts of the dance. One maybe....but not three!

Thought Antonio was a little more engaged, but man was his hold with his arms and hands just weird. I can't quite figure Von, for a guy with a striking physique and some genuinely elegant movements......he always seems like he's dancing small. And he has no noticeable connection to Witney at all (maybe the height difference?) it seems like they are like ships passing in the night on every dance.

Doug, Marla, and Kim are better than your average 10th, 9th, and 8th place finishers in a given DWTS season. But that's what they pretty much are going to be barring injury and something very surprising.

Ginger's crying baby wasn't great TV.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15

Can't stand Ginger. There's something about her I don't like. I dislike her name, her smile, her face, and the fact that she brought her baby out for votes. Gross.

Loved Peta going off on Carrie Ann. Was surprised there since she's normally calm but Maks definitely taught her well. Her tears at the end was sweet.

Also love Sharna's little faces at Len, only Sharna could get away with that.

Thrilled that Alan was no where to be seen on stage. He helped Paige rehearse in the package but I didn't hear Paige or Mark thank him for his help. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Val's done three totally forgettable dances in a row now. What's the deal? I'm not always a fan of his choreo, but he usually comes up with things better than that. Is it the travelling, does Ginger have some limitations they don't want to disclose? Is he burned out? What?

Paige was awesome. Mark took a calculated risk that not everyone would like that sort of heavily theme inspired paso, so the scores were good considering and it made her stand out. Nyle was great again, as was Wanya. Jodie was strong. Kim was cute. The rest of them dropped off a little, but still decent. No terrible dancers left. Mischa obviously wasn't a good fit for this show, nice that she went home with an okay-ish dance.

ETA: The pros are probably happy that there aren't any clunkers left for switch-up week. No one will get saddled with an unteachable and totally untalented celeb since all those have left by week three! The depth this season is pretty good.

Edited by katha

Val's done three totally forgettable dances in a row now. What's the deal? I'm not always a fan of his choreo, but he usually comes up with things better than that. Is it the travelling, does Ginger have some limitations they don't want to disclose? Is he burned out? What?

Paige was awesome. Mark took a calculated risk that not everyone would like that sort of heavily theme inspired paso, so the scores were good considering and it made her stand out. Nyle was great again, as was Wanya. Jodie was strong. Kim was cute. The rest of them dropped off a little, but still decent. No terrible dancers left. Mischa obviously wasn't a good fit for this show, nice that she went home with an okay-ish dance.

ETA: The pros are probably happy that there aren't any clunkers left for switch-up week. No one will get saddled with an unteachable and totally untalented celeb since all those have left by week three! The depth this season is pretty good.

BTW, Val didn't choreograph that number himself. Jenna and Alan Salazar did- according to Alan's IG.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BDzp17voLOV/

I sort of doubt that Val has ever choreographed any of his contemporary numbers. I think he gets help every time he has to do that dance style. I don't think he has enough contemporary dance vocabulary to be able to construct a well formed contemporary dance. Not that his dance with Ginger tonight was all that great. So not sure why he was gushing about it on Twitter.

My favorite dance of the night belonged to Mark and Paige. What a fantastic way to create a new take on a Paso that also reflects her specialty. Mark's creativity has been hitting the mark time after time. I hope he gets an Emmy nod this next year.

To me, the front runners are Wanya and Nyle. Nyle bc he's attacking every single dance he's given and Wanya bc he's feeling every dance he's been given. They are worthy finalists- i hope they make it through injury free until the very end.

• Love 1