Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E03: Week 3

• Start Topic

(edited)

I appreciate that Ginger chose a year and song related to her family. Too often we get the typical "that's the year I won the Super Bowl" kind of story and while I totally get that reaching the pinnacle of our career is huge, it's nice to see someone choose something that is about her personal life rather than her professional life. And on top of that, she chose something in her personal life that was uplifting, not "that's when my mom died" or "that's when I was diagnosed with cancer" or something else devastating. For me, Ginger is a middle of the pack dancer. She is coordinated and she learns the choreography without looking like she's concentrating what to do next but she isn't someone who I think is a lock for the finale. Val Jenna and Alan did a good job creating a routine that made her dancing look good. I agree with Len and Bruno's critique about her arms, but as Bruno said that's common with beginner dancers. They place their arms instead of really reaching and extending.

My dad died almost exactly two years ago, so I could relate to Doug's story about his dad dying. When he said that his mom just fell forward and died, the first thing I thought was that she died of a broken heart. I know several instances where someone died of natural causes less than a year after their spouse died and every time I thought it was that they lost the will to live after losing the person they loved the most. This is the reason I dislike the most memorable week. It's hard to really criticize someone's dancing when you know that the dance is about something like losing both parents in one fell swoop.

I agreed with Len about Kim and Sasha being very synchronized. On a shallow note, that long skirt with her uniform kept making me think that she was at Hogwarts. Her foxtrot was smooth. And I love Mrs. Garrett coming to support her!

I love that Von chose "In the Air." Phil Collins, bitches! Of course, this song always reminds me of Miami Vice which imade me realize how many pros (like Witney) and celebs (like Von) this season weren't born when Miami Vice started airing and then I felt old. It's obvious that he's coordinated and I agree with Carrie Ann that he has potential but in his performance he looks like he's coasting. I think Witney can challenge him with more difficult choreography and that if she teaches him well, he could be the most improved this season. He has the basics and Len was correct that Von is very light for as big as he is.

Marla is similar to Von for me. She's coordinated and handling the choreography she's given but she's not polished. She seems a little tentative and clunky. To me, Ginger is a little more at ease and natural.

Antonio has a dazzling smile but he is another one of those middle of the pack contestants. He isn't tripping over his own feet but he isn't blowing me away either.

Paige is one of my picks for the finale. She and Wanya are the only two who, from a distance, are the ones who could be mistaken for one of the pros. She is a great dancer and she is a great performer. I am not a Mark fan but I think she is doing well with him.

Jodie's story is such a contrast from Mischa's. She has fought her demons and come out on the other side a stronger, happier person whereas Mischa seems like she's still miserable even though she's sober. I did plays in high school and I remember how rough it was each time a show closed because suddenly all of these people who had become my family and who I spent almost every waking moment with were dispersed from my life. I can't imagine how much more intense that must feel like to a 13 year old girl who had been working with the same people since she was 5 years old. Puberty is hard enough without feeling like you just lost your family. And sure, they didn't abandon her or anything so they could still see each other but it's not the same as being in the same room with these people for 8-10 hours, 5 days a week. Plus we didn't have skype, email, facebook, or texting back then to help people stay connected when they couldn't see each other. I'm not justifying her drug use, but I get how a long running show ending could really mess up a 13 year old kid. To me, Jodie is one of the better dancers, definitely above the middle of the pack. I would love to see a Paige/Wanya/Jodie finale. Jodie is a very good dancer and I think she was underscored the first two weeks. She danced smoothly and gracefully, and last week she had a great amount of sass and attitude and sharpness so I think she's just an all around good dancer.

Poor Artem. I couldn't believe that Mischa said she was relying on him to make their performance a positive experience. Girl, he can't do it for you and he's not a party planner! I think it says a lot that Peter Gallagher is impressed that she's just showing up. Way to set the bar low. She seemed to enjoy herself more this week (which isn't saying much because she looked absolutely miserable last week) but she is still not a very good dancer but she's not the worst celeb I've ever seen on this show. I'm glad that she was able to go out on a higher note so that she had a chance to redeem herself after last week. And it was nice to see that she was gracious about being eliminated (although it must be easy to be gracious about that when all you want to do is get the hell out). This routine is a perfect example of how I do NOT want the troupe used. I'm okay with them being used as glorified extras during the beginning messing around segment, but I don't want them dancing for the entire routine.

I liked that Wanya chose a moment that was related to his career but wasn't the equivalent of winning the Super Bowl. This wasn't his best dance but it was still head and shoulders above most of the other celebs this week. He needs to work on his arms and his footwork. Sometimes they're great and other times they look a little sloppy which I think happens when he isn't paying as much attention to them.

Nyle is another contender. He is coordinated and Peta is doing a great job giving him choreography that makes him look even better. His arms sometimes get a little awkward (like last week) and he gets a little flat footed sometimes, but he has great presence. Because he's so tall, he needs to also remember to keep his shoulders back instead of hunching down to Peta.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

<ducks>  I like Ginger.  I've watched her for years on GMA and she's super sweet and she'll do anything on a dare.  I can't hate on her for constantly talking about her baby, I think all of us moms were like her with our first babies, especially in the first 3 months.  

I'm also not upset about Wanya doing his dance to the national anthem.  Singing at the closing ceremonies of the Olympics is a pretty big deal.  I think I'd be distracted by my own voice though, if I was him.

Kim Fields needs to calm the hell down.

• Love 5
(edited)
Trotting out Ginger's baby in a sequined carrier?  Knock it the fu*k off, show

This "GINGER IS A NEW MOM!" stuff is already getting on my nerves. I get it. Can't they just let the woman dance without constantly referencing her motherhood?

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 2

Ginger can dance, but she is super annoying. I'm a mother as well, but even I can't stand people who act like they are the only people in the world who have kids.

Something about Paige bugs me as well. She just seems rude and bratty.

I just LOVE Nyle and Wanya!

• Love 1

<ducks>  I like Ginger.  I've watched her for years on GMA and she's super sweet and she'll do anything on a dare.  I can't hate on her for constantly talking about her baby, I think all of us moms were like her with our first babies, especially in the first 3 months.  

I'm also not upset about Wanya doing his dance to the national anthem.  Singing at the closing ceremonies of the Olympics is a pretty big deal.  I think I'd be distracted by my own voice though, if I was him.

Kim Fields needs to calm the hell down.

Haha can we take cover together?  I think I know too many new moms to be off put by her constant gushing. Her baby is adorable HOWEVER (now I am ducking) I am not voting for her baby...I get invested in the partnership the celeb has with the pro so I'd rather focus on that and the dancing vs. her baby.  Given the theme of most memorable year I can forgive the baby parade. This would be THE week to do it.  But I"m going to need them to focus on something else for the rest of the season.

Personality wise I like everyone else left too.  All the remaining pairs seems to REALLY get along with their celeb.  It's refrereshing. Well except for Antonio. I really just don't know what to make of his partnership with Sharna. I can't get a read on Antonio the person. He's a head scratcher. 

• Love 1

Paige - was awesome last night. I wished Mark would have limited the fake fighting to just the beginning. Whenever they would break from the paso to do the fake fighting it took me out of the dance. But I still forgive it because Paige was the best of the night for me. Her technique was excellent and the theme was super creative.

Nyle- Did good but that tango seemed rushed at times. Footwork and frame got kind of sloppy at the end for me.  He seemed hunched over for most of the dance and that was distracting. Not the best of the night but top 3.

Wanya- Dance wise he did awesome. Minor issues he needs to correct for his ballroom dances i.e frame etc. The dance was great...but I didn't love it for really shallow reasons....1. all red matching outfits was too much for my eyes and 2. I'm not into dancing to the national anthem.  I think Alex or Noah did it in the past and I remember thinking it was weird then too.

Jodie - I loved her dance. Too much hairography/hair whips at the end of the dance but I still loved it. It had a contemporary feel to it...but there was a lot of content in it.

Doug, Von, Kim, Antonio, Marla and Ginger all had "nice" dances....all slightly boring or just missing something to get me really excited about the performance. They are all middle of the pack dancers to me.

Ginger has the potential to break out of middle of the pack but she would need to put in way more hours to get the fluidity or grace of Jodie or Paige.  With her schedule I don't think that is happening.  She's really stiff in the upper body too. Her dance was standard fare...but so not exciting.

Marla will probably continue to really shine in the ballroom dances only.  I think she'll struggle with most of the Latin dances.  That jive needed to be tighter.

Antonio - dances really stiff. He's just not as fluid with his arms as Nyle & Wanya.

Von - there is some potential there like Ginger I"m left bored with his dances.

(edited)

I appreciate that Ginger chose a year and song related to her family. Too often we get the typical "that's the year I won the Super Bowl" kind of story and while I totally get that reaching the pinnacle of our career is huge, it's nice to see someone choose something that is about her personal life rather than her professional life. And on top of that, she chose something in her personal life that was uplifting, not "that's when my mom died" or "that's when I was diagnosed with cancer" or something else devastating. For me, Ginger is a middle of the pack dancer. She is coordinated and she learns the choreography without looking like she's concentrating what to do next but she isn't someone who I think is a lock for the finale. Val Jenna and Alan did a good job creating a routine that made her dancing look good. I agree with Len and Bruno's critique about her arms, but as Bruno said that's common with beginner dancers. They place their arms instead of really reaching and extending.

See, I don’t think fair and I don’t think Ginger did anything unique. Ginger was one of three people who did their dance about becoming a parent last night. In fact, I’d say the field was very evenly split between career stories and personal ones with a few strongly dipping their toes into both. Ginger, Doug, Marla, Antonio and Nyle told personal stories. Kim, Von, Paige, Wanyá told professional success stories and I’d say both Mischa and Jodie told stories that were about both. I think the night was less heavy but that’s because there were more career focused stories and fewer personal trauma stories. Even Jodie's very serious story was positive and not focused on the darker stuff. And I say all that as someone who isn't really a fan of most memorable year week. This year I think the balance was pretty good and because of that it wasn't a drag of a show.

Edited by vibeology
  • Love 2

Now that several weeks have gone by, I am using my right to change my top 4, LOL!!
My original were Nyle, Nanya, Antonio and maybe Jody or Ginger.

Now I think the top 4 will be Nanya, Nyle, Paige and ??
Number 4 may still be Antonio, or maybe Kim, Jody or Ginger will sneak in.

I won't be at all surprised with a top 3 of Nanya, Nyle and Paige.

(edited)
BTW, Val didn't choreograph that number himself. Jenna and Alan Salazar did- according to Alan's IG.

Wait, that boring mess last night was a three-person job? Alright then. Here's the thing, like it or not, and trust me, as I've said I'd be happy if the show did away with it, Contemporary is now a style on the show as much as Paso Doble, Foxtrot, etc. So why has Val not taken some classes and tutorials and worked on getting better at it in his free time? I mean that's how you learn and expand your vocabulary, if you will. Yes, I get that this is supposed to be an entertainment ballroom show but the fact is for right now Contemporary is here to stay. So be proactive instead of delivering whatever that dud was last night. 

After all the talk online last week, practically wanting to boot Mark off the show, I was thrilled to see him show up and kick ass in pure Mark Ballas style. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4
(edited)

Wait, that boring mess last night was a three-person job? Alright then. Here's the thing, like it or not, and trust me, as I've said I'd be happy if the show did away with it, Contemporary is now a style on the show as much as Paso Doble, Foxtrot, etc. So why has Val not taken some classes and tutorials and worked on getting better at it in his free time? I mean that's how you learn and expand your vocabulary, if you will. Yes, I get that this is supposed to be an entertainment ballroom show but the fact is for right now Contemporary is here to stay. So be proactive instead of delivering whatever that dud was last night. 

After all the talk online last week, practically wanting to boot Mark off the show, I was thrilled to see him show up and kick ass in pure Mark Ballas style. 

I'm all for pros expanding their dance vocab...but to be fair to Val...for the last several seasons he's done the DWTS live tour right after DWTS ended.  When the tour ended the new season would be just beginning. Not likely he would have had time to fit in serious classes in contemporary dance.  Whether he's taken a weekend workshop or contemporary crash course...who knows.  The smart thing to do is to get help if you don't have time to take such classes.  Which he did. I think he was being proactive....the result was a hot mess though.

I 1000% agree with you that he should get a refund on the dance that was produced because it was not impressive....rather boring actually. 

Both Witney & Lindsey have gotten help in dances (both have used Alan Salazar).  Both of them were trained in contemporary dance as well as ballroom. Being trained in the contemporary dance form still meant they needed help so they got it.  If all 3 pros felt they needed help in the choreo department by all means get the help you need.  That is being proactive IMO.

Also --- Agree - Mark dropped the hammer in case anyone forgot why he should not be replaced by Alan.

Edited by RemoteControl88
(edited)

I thought last night was missing a lot of emotion. Even though it's totally cheesy, MMY usually gets me right in the feels.

Ginger, Antonio, and Marla used their kids for votes. Ginger and Antonio more so then Marla (was Tiffany even in the audience? Didn't see her.) I knew they were going to bring out that poor baby when they were promoting Ginger dancing first this week. Ginger is also parading pictures of the poor crying baby around social media which is just sick to me. I don't think I could vote for her now. I thought the opening chair scene with The Antonios was appropriate, but the dancing at the end was obvious pandering. They really shouldn't let the children dance on stage.

Von could have had a way better story. He nearly quit football in college. If they started with that and then had him grow into the Super Bowl MVP, his story would have been a lot stronger. Right now, I really think Von is coasting on the fact that he's a football player and that he should get a lot of votes. Witney also seems to be regressing into Cody Simpson teaching territory. Emma would have been a better choice for Von I think. I also get the impression that Witney and Von aren't besties.

Jodie and Mischa got to talk about their struggles, but both were supremely white washed. I can't tell if their lack of connection to their story was just poor packages or poor dancing/partners/choreography. Jodie was really hurt by the shortness of the dance and focus on the guest singer who was not featured nearly as much with Doug.

Poor Nyle never really gets to sign anything when they're live, so all he gets to do is stand there with his blank stare. Even in the package he only got to sign a few sentences while the interpreter spoke over the rest of his package. He did have a good story and I wanted to hear more about how he traveled the world alone. Hopefully as the numbers dwindle Nyle will get more "talking" time because he's starting to lack a connection with the audience.

Paige had to give up some of her story to Mark's back. I would have liked to hear more then "I was bullied in high school, so I rose above it and became a fighter." It didn't have nearly the strength that Alexa's bulimia story did last season. It was a good dance though and probably the best of the night for me.

Wanya, Kim, and Doug I felt captured the essence of MMY without going too over the top. I kind of wish Wanya hadn't danced to the Star Spangled Banner, but it wasn't too bad since it was his own rendition. Kim had fun. Doug's story was appropriately sad and didn't have the obvious sympathy vote tactics like Bindi used (pictures during the dance, the fake ass crocodile tears, the never-ending eulogies).

I still think the bottom three this week will be Von, Marla, and Jodie with the elimination going to Marla.

I also think there are more commercials this season. I didn't start watching until almost 8pm CST and I was caught up by the elimination. There was definitely more then 42 minutes of commercial, which is standard for a 2 hour show. I'd put it closer to 50 minutes of commercials, which only hurts the stars.

Edited by Saylii
(edited)
If all 3 pros felt they needed help in the choreo department by all means get the help you need.  That is being proactive IMO.

For the record, I have no issues in the Pros getting outside help in styles they are not trained in, especially when they're totally upfront about it. But honestly that dance was so awful that I actually was positive that it was all Val. So to find out that it took three people to deliver, well...that. It makes me wonder how bad is he on his own. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

For the record, I have no issues in the Pros getting outside help in styles they are not trained in, especially when they're totally upfront about it. But honestly that dance was so awful that I actually was positive that it was all Val. So to find out that it took three people to deliver, well...that. It makes me wonder how bad is he on his own. 

I don't know who choreographed it, but for my money the absolute best contemporary ever done on DWTS was the one Val did with Zendaya.  It was light, refreshing, upbeat and utterly charming.  If he didn't choreograph that one himself, he should always ask for help from whoever did.

• Love 2

IMO I've never seen a good contemporary done on DWTS. Even Golden Boy's contemporaries were forgettable. Val's are no better or worse than anyone else's. And I totally agree with the poster that said they should lose the ugly bicycle move they always do.

• Love 1
(edited)

I still think the bottom three this week will be Von, Marla, and Jodie with the elimination going to Marla.

There is no way Jodie will be in B3 this week.  I don't even buy that she was B3 last week.  People are rooting for her and they probably are even more after last night.

Anyway, back to Ginger/Val for a minute.  First, Jenna was also responsible for the hot mess that was Rumer's Bootylicious routine so every time people tell me she should be pro, I'm like really?  I have yet to see a piece of choreography from her that wasn't completely generic.  But I do think another poster had a good point.  I wonder if part of the problem with Ginger/Val on the dance floor is that Val can't be overly physical with her.  I'm not sure how long it takes your body to heal post C-section and of course she's nursing, but Val is a very physical dancer.  When he dances with other pros, of course they can handle it.  But he's usually very physical with his celebs.  To the point that Danica, Janel and I believe Rumer all wound up with rib injuries.  The first two injuring themselves initially during contemporaries where they were being thrown about with a lot of reckless abandon.  I think Meryl got bruised up and injured more in her one week with Val than she did in her entire season with Maks.  I even remember Val beating himself up after Danica cracked her ribs about how he often forgets who he is dancing with and can be overly physical with his partners when they have talent, and he forgets that they aren't pros and aren't used to being handled like that.  Point being, I think he knows he can't do that with Ginger and so as a result we are getting sort of these weird tepid but cleanly danced numbers.

Also I have to say that last night is why I need Mark on this show.  I know he's not everyone's cup of tea, but at least you can count on the man to never produce the same old boring routines.  I would miss Mark more than I do Derek.  I think Mark brings a shot of creativity that is lacking from most of the other pros and I'm not sure who is going to fill that void when he inevitably leaves in the near future.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 6

Most Memorable Year is my least favorite theme so I'm glad they got it out of the way early. More dancers = more potential sob stories, but by doing it now, I think the dancers are less likely to pull out all the stops in terms of trying to out-trauma each other in order to get the edge in a smaller, stronger pool of contestants. And sometimes I'm surprised by people using actual special memories for this. Wanya's choice, for example. He got to sing the National Anthem at the Atlanta Olympics after a domestic terrorist attack there. That had to be a profound moment for him and the others in the group. I would think they'd want to keep that memory as it was and not ... cheapen it, I guess, by reimagining it on a cheesy dance show. And LOL at Carrie Ann's, "YOU are the rocket's red glare!" Um. Okay. Wat?

For her sake, I'm glad Mischa went home. I didn't think she was genuinely having more fun this week so much as she was trying to put a happy face on a bad situation that she probably knew was ending last night. Her enthusiasm seemed strained and false, especially when she and Artem were squealing over their scores. "Sixes! Eeeeeh!" and touching foreheads and both probably wishing a something heavy would drop down and kill them both where they stood. She did have a bad attitude, but I don't know how much control she had over that, given what looks to be a pretty deep-seated depression, but also, the show treated her terribly the first two weeks. I don't blame Artem; I blame the producers and the judges. I hope Artem gets a winning partner one of these days; these days he's my second favorite male pro after Sasha.

Jodie makes me worry for her too when she says that now that she's got Fuller House, her light is back. Maybe it was just awkwardly packaged, but it makes it sound like without some version of Full House, her life is meaningless.

I might like Ginger more if she weren't being so heavily presented as a front-runner despite only being competent. Her crying baby was adorable (Len: Seven! Baby: Waaaaaah!) but that atmosphere was no place for an infant.

Doug has really improved, but not so much that he should have been surprised by being in jeopardy. The way he kept questioning Karina all through the elimination reminded me of crazy Gary Busey.

Mrs. Garrett! So adorable. She looked like one of those dried apple dolls and I mean that in a complimentary way even though it sounds kind of mean. Kim Fields, OTOH, damn girl. Put pigtails on her and she does look the same as she did 25 years ago.

I wish the judges would prepare their comments for Nyle a little better so the interpreter doesn't have to fumble over their nonsense words.

When Carrie Ann makes weird noises instead of using words, the interpreter likely just signs: "babbling, about to fall off chair." And probably half of his signing while Bruno is talking is just him signing, "no idea."

Von has a killer body, but way too many tats.

I noticed he has the Miller Beer logo tattooed on his left shoulder. I know it's his name, but it's still an unfortunate choice.

When [Doug] said that his mom just fell forward and died, the first thing I thought was that she died of a broken heart. I know several instances where someone died of natural causes less than a year after their spouse died and every time I thought it was that they lost the will to live after losing the person they loved the most.

It's pretty common, especially with spouses who've been married a long time. Doctors even call it Broken Heart Syndrome, but it's stress cardiomyopathy; stress hormones cause part of the heart to enlarge and it damages the heart muscle pretty quickly. It's more common for women to suffer from it, but men can too. It happened to two older couples who were our neighbors when I was a kid. In one case the husband died and the wife died a few days later; in the other, the wife went first and the husband the next day.

• Love 3

I don't know who choreographed it, but for my money the absolute best contemporary ever done on DWTS was the one Val did with Zendaya. It was light, refreshing, upbeat and utterly charming. If he didn't choreograph that one himself, he should always ask for help from whoever did.

Agreed 100%. I love that dance and I was never a huge fan of Zendaya. It is one of my favorite Val dances ever. Contemporary on this show always tends to veer into dark and angsty which gets old. I loved the feel of that dance in comparison.

(edited)

Why would Von be on the bottom three over a bunch of has-beens and nobodies? It's not like most people vote based on dancing skills. Surely football fans are still watching.

Von wasn't in the bottom three. It was Doug, Jodie, and Mischa. (Or, at least those were the three called in jeopardy. No idea if they were the actual bottom three.)

Edited by fishcakes
(edited)

I'm not sure Doug was surprised about being in jeopardy.  It's notoriously hard to hear what Tom/Erin are saying when you are standing on that stage, as has been said many times by celebs/pros.  I think he probably just wanted to confirm what he thought he heard. 

I'm curious about who helped Val with the Zendaya contemporary that season too. 

Edited by spanana
(edited)

I think it's kinda funny that Lindsey is cornering the patriotism market, I guess as a result of her experience with Alex.  Given that it's not my national anthem (and I strongly prefer the 18th century drinking song on which it is based to the current version), I thought it was pretty spectacular.

Paige and Mark were all kinds of powerful.  I didn't mind the lack of bull/cape - the paso is about dominance and violence to me and they covered that off pretty well.  So nice that Alan was back-seated.

I ffed through a whole bunch of stuff.  Pretty soon it's going to take me 10 minutes to watch the show.

I hope that Zendaya is fun.  I always favoured her -- I think she's Val's best partner yet. Having her on for a guest spot is unfair, but Julianne Hough was way more unfair and for way longer (I so hope she gets successful at SOmeTHING and never comes back - can't someone write a Western sitcom about a dancing teacher mum or something?  One of those horrible lower-common denominator ones with a canned laugh track that just tickles people so that it lasts 7 seasons?)

Edited by crowceilidh
  • Love 1

Von wasn't in the bottom three. It was Doug, Jodie, and Mischa. (Or, at least those were the three called in jeopardy. No idea if they were the actual bottom three.)

I know, but some people were predicting he would be on the bottom three next week. I don't really see that.

• Love 2
(edited)
Having her on for a guest spot is unfair,

Genuine question but how is it unfair? Because she danced with Val and is still very close to him? Well Alfonso guest judged and I don't remember anyone worrying he'd overscore Witney and her celebrity and of course Maks judged last season and yeah he gave a 10 but that was Switch Up week so the 10 really only helped Bindi and Derek. Zendaya like Maks, like Julianne, is one judge's score. I don't think it will make that much of a difference but I have no issues with any of these people guest judging, so...

Edited by truthaboutluv

I have the feeling that CAI caught all kinds of shit with her musicality comment the first week regarding Nyle.  Not only did his partner call her out, but I would bet big bucks that she took a lot of crap on social media.  Hell, no one made comments about the musicality of other "disabled" contestants, but to say that to a hearing impaired dancer was just plain wrong.  CAI really had to cover her ass with the apology.  

Is Kim the female version of Dorian Gray?  She hasn't aged.  Gotta love Mrs Garrett and her piss and vinegar comment.  

• Love 4
(edited)

I think despite being deaf and knowing that he is, the judges probably sometimes look at Nyle and forget that fact and just see this young, attractive and able-bodied man as opposed to Noah who had very visible disabilities with the missing leg and arm and Amy as well with the prosthetic legs. And I think that may lead to their being less gentle with him as they were with the other two. And on the one hand, that's not a bad thing because I'm sure Nyle doesn't want to be condescended to and treated like some weakling.

After all, as he's said, his whole family is deaf, this is what he's known his whole life and it just is for him. Plus there were many annoyed comments on this very board about how Noah and Amy were treated and scored. So it's not necessarily a bad thing if the judges just treat Nyle like any contestant and expect more from him because they believe he can do it. But yeah I can see how that might start to annoy some who felt like they babied and over-scored Noah who did virtually nothing for most weeks. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

Nyle is doing so wonderfully so far! I also loved how Peta made a remark about how the judges criticized his musicality. I agreed that for week 2 that's not a great critique for a deaf contestant.

• Love 5

I know, but some people were predicting he would be on the bottom three next week. I don't really see that.

Everyone's pretty close in scores and there's no obvious loser. Antonio pimped his kid for votes and Doug had his parents' story which will get him votes. Von had a pretty unmemorable dance and the packages the last two weeks have been more negative then positive. He also got the "you're not trying" comments which is usually the start of the death toll for a star.

I think CAI brought it up early so that Peta could work on it now, while there's still bad dancers for cover. If the first time this comes up is two or three weeks from now it gives Peta far less time to come up with ways to tackle the issue. I thought already tonight, Nyle was a little better. His sharpness matched the music and his expression matched the lyrics. Its not perfect but I think it's a solid start.

I choose to believe that it was simply a live show poor wording critique. And though CAI was correct and had a right to give that critique, I'm still glad at how Peta went all defensive to the point of tearing up. She clearly cares about Nyle and wants him to succeed. As I saw it she addressed what CAI was talking about. Maybe they ad a chat and it was cleared up what exactly she meant, but Peta was correcting Nyle's movements, making them more staccato, as the dance requires. I'm sure she'll direct his movements to be more fluid when they get a dance that needs that.

I felt like his posture was lacking, but I'm not sure if it was mostly due to the speed of the dance. His butt was sticking out too much. And it's a nice butt, don't get me wrong lol it was just distracting on few levels hahaha

speaking of distracting... I could not take Wanya's dance in. All the time I was thinking "wait... it's anthem? why? ogh I hate when ppl change up anthem! omg they ARE dancing to the anthem? they are DANCING????? to the anthem? and people are sitting?" So between that and her weird dress I really don't remember anything about that dance. And I doubt I will go back to watch it again... Anything other than standing respectfully to the original melody of the national anthem just sits wrong with me.

ARTEM IS FREE!!!!

Though I will miss him... I hope he doesn't get discouraged by the last few seasons. I love his attitude and his choreo, and how elegant and dapper he looks in ballroom dances. I don't think anyone is more suited for fox trot or waltz than he. Those dances look perfect on him. And we need a partner for him to match that.

Ginger: I do not enjoy Contemporary. They all look the same to me. Run over here, pose, angsty face, run over there, lift, angsty face. Boring! The one thing I can say for Ginger's is it was a very happy dance and not all angsty and overwrought.

Kim: Her first two dances were big on performance and fierceness. This one lacked that a little. 

Von: I liked Witney with Alfonso, but her choreography is rather one note. She loves to throw in hip hop moves even to dances that should be elegant. (I'm also not a fan of hip hop. Yeah, yeah, get off my lawn.) 

Paige: I loved it! Len is right that there was a bit too much Contemporary, but there was enough Paso for me, and it was certainly entertaining and unique! Mark's concept dances are often spectacular, sometimes spectacularly disastrous, but always interesting to me.

Jodie: Beautiful expression of her story.

Wanya: I like Lindsey's choreo much better than Witney's. The National Anthem is not easy to dance to, but I enjoyed it.

Nyle: Loved him again this week. Len is right, Peta does have trouble adding light and shade, and this has been a common criticism throughout her DWTS career. 

So my thoughts this week were more about choreo than the contestants.

• Love 4
(edited)

LOVED:   Wanya, Nyle, and Jodie

REALLY LIKED:  Kim and Paige

EVERYONE ELSE:   Meh, not awful, but certainly not memorable

If Doug and Marla go out the next two, I wonder who the first "SHOCKING" elimination will be?

I so wanted to like Ginger and she seems like a very nice lady but she is so forgettable after she dances.  Not sure why.   Same with all three of the football players.   Nice guys, okay dancers but nothing outstanding, unlike Wanya, Nyle, Jodie, Kim and Paige.

I've never had so many to root for in one season!

Edited by penbrat
(edited)

Anything other than standing respectfully to the original melody of the national anthem just sits wrong with me.

Well, here you go - the original melody of the national anthem - I find American singers have difficulty getting across how jolly the original tune is, but I couldn't find a version with a bunch of drunk English frat boys singing it, so this will have to do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l-n64NWHS4

Wait, wait - here's a kinda fun version (although still too solemn):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqyQO3xhNx0

Re: Zendaya as guest judge...

Genuine question but how is it unfair?

I don't think it is, I was answering an upthread comment and did not clarify sufficiently.

Edited by crowceilidh
  • Love 1
(edited)

Can we start a “down with contemporaries!!” petition

Yes!!.Every single contemporary dance looks the same, no matter who is dancing.Ginger is getting too annoying for me and her husband-oh my! He is not all at what I would have expected with her. Five minutes with him would last a long time.

Marla was much better than all 7s.

Get rid of all the backup dancers. I swear there wasn't enough room on the dance floor for Mischa.

Edited by Vinyasa
(edited)

I don't know. I'm a bit tired of people overreacting to judge's critiques that are fair. A few seasons ago, CAI got crap for her comment about NeeNee needing to dance larger because she is a big woman, and people went apeshit. NeeNee IS a big woman. She is tall and carries some weight (in some very good places), and baby, she works it. I don't think CAI should have had to search for namby pamby words to state a fact, and neither did NeeNee.

I think it's the same thing here. The feel or overall tone of Nyle's movements last week didn't quite match the feel of the music. By all means she should mention that as something for Peta to work on conveying. Is it a lot to expect by week 2? Yes. But it was a critique she would give anyone, and I think most of us believe if the concept is conveyed to Nyle, he can dance it. (After all, don't models get told to give off certain emotions during shoots? I'm sure it's not a foreign concept.) Deep breaths and untwist the panties, folks.

EDIT: I should specify that people have been pretty reasonable on this site. A few other places I've seen some "get the torches and pitchforks!" kind of thing, which is what prompted the above.

While I find Ginger slightly annoying, I have to give her props for dancing three months after a C section while working. Most women I know are just trying not to kill the kid or husband at that point and possibly snag a nap occasionally.

Kim looks much better with her dark hair. Simplymom and I snorted in synchro when Marla claimed Donald Trump wasn't yet a household name when she knew him. He really was, Marla.

And I, too, continue to be underwhelmed by Witney's choreo.

I should add that despite all my criticisms, I'm fairly certain everyone except Mischa and Geraldo can outdance me. So good for them.

Edited by simplyme
  • Love 1

I find the general lack of actual ballroom dance steps really pretty annoying this season.  I have to give Marla Maples props for doing something very tough and full on dance steps. Todie from Facts of Life did fairly well again given more actual dance step work to do.  As for the rest, meh, yes they have good rhythm but the guy from boys to mend had incredibly horrible posture, the deaf guy I give him props but man that was an awful Tango, far too fast, he did not convey the character of the dance - it's not what it should look like at all, the football players are not finessing anything, the full house girl could have done more dance, I don't know why these teachers screw the pooch with the choreo.  

Although I really enjoyed the MMA style Paso Doble, I would have liked more Paso. That girl is capable of doing it.      

(edited)
I don't think it is, I was answering an upthread comment and did not clarify sufficiently.

Oh okay, thanks. 

I don't know. I'm a bit tired of people overreacting to judge's critiques that are fair.

What amuses me is when there will be all this outrage and the next week in the couple's package you see the Pro basically saying they agreed with the comments, just like Sharna did last night.  Now obviously that wasn't the case with Peta but I just think Peta is very sensitive and protective of Nyle because she's not one to usually get upset or angry about the judge's comments, far as I've seen anyway. 

Get rid of all the backup dancers. I swear there wasn't enough room on the dance floor for Mischa.

While all these mugging troupe members annoy me, I have to say I cracked up watching them attempt to do something behind Mischa. It's like Mischa was so awful, even the background dancing was lame. They were there trying to look "casual" and like they were just grooving to the music but the whole thing just looked really stupid and awkward. That was actually unintentionally hilarious. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
(edited)

While I find Ginger slightly annoying, I have to give her props for dancing three months after a C section while working. Most women I know are just trying not to kill the kid or husband at that point and possibly snag a nap occasionally.

Well, most women probably don't have a personal trainer, full time nanny and probably an ABC/Disney corp jet to fly them back and forth. Does she work 40 hours a week on GMA?

I don't watch GMA because it always seems like a baby shower with all those women.

Edited by Vinyasa
  • Love 3

Mr. MooCat and I rewound the DVR on Jodie's dance because it seemed like she was only dancing for 30 seconds.  We used a timer when she started and the whole dance took 56 seconds.  When we found out that Wanya was dancing to the National Anthem, we said, "there is no way you can dance to that in a minute".  Sure enough, his dance was a minute and a half.  So weird the difference...

• Love 2

I love Len, but I wish he'd stop overreacting to the booing every. single. time. The first boo was so half-hearted, and he stopped and waited until they booed more. "If you're going to boo, do it properly!" It just cuts into the flow of the already-too-much judging, and it's starting to seem like an attention hog from the one judge that's "supposed" to be above all that. I don't remember him doing that more than once or twice per show before. 

• Love 3

Ginger looked so awkward with her crying baby. Like it was someone else's crying baby that was just handed to her, not her own. She made no real effort to soothe him. I don't know if she didn't want her fake tan rubbing off on him or what. But she didn't snuggle him close to her, just kind of held him out and let him cry.

• Love 5

I wish they would eliminate contemporary from dwts as well.  Not because it all looks the same but because there is a certain artistry and athleticism that cannot be achieved within a few weeks.  Even the pros can't feel/show the contemporary movements properly which is probably why they have trouble choreographing it.  They just throw in a lot of lifts and poses.  Jazz, or more specific broadway, is a different story.  They've used this style in a cute way.

There are certain elements that make a routine a contemporary routine.  So you will see some of these requirements in each contemporary routine.  Just like ballroom. You can say the jives look the same, waltzes look the same, etc.  But there are certain requirements that should be there.  It relies on the choreography and performance to make it special.  And we know performance is subjective.  For instance, I didn't care for Nyle's posture/butt in the tango.  Nor did I care for Peta's non-tango feel.  But most viewers/judges loved it.

But I love this season more than I have any season in a long time.  After a couple of more weeks, each elimination will be hard.

• Love 1

I realized that Mischa had a positive intro package for the first time and was kind of excited, only to realize it was because it was narrated by Peter Gallagher who was impressed she was just showing up.  I don't think anyone has ever looked so relieved that they'd been voted off.  I don't know if she and Artem didn't click or what but she also seemed relieved to have the troupe as part of their dance so it wasn't just the two of them (and the camera crew).

I feel like Marla doesn't know how to plant her feet, they are terrible.  She floats through each routine, but the Jive last night (and thank goodness for a happy song and dance) really brought out that she wasn't pounding the floor like she needed too.  She's a little wisp of a thing but she doesn't stand very well on her feet-- she's wobbly and the routines aren't that difficult.  She just goes from pose to pose.

Someone needed to explain to Doug how he could have an ok dance and still be in jeopardy.  When he was revealed to be in danger he looked at his partner and asked how that could happen.

I'm hoping that Jodie wasn't really in jeopardy, but just taking her turn under the red light.  She really is one of the strongest female dancers.

I still get the impression that Mark's partner doesn't like him and the feeling is mutual.  Maybe he doesn't like that she's good?

I think Ginger is sweet, although I hated her costume, I thought he hair was finally well done.  Her husband seemed really touched by the routine.  They've both got to be exhausted at this point and the baby really is too young to be in the studio.  I'm sure it was scary for him.

I still get the impression that Mark's partner doesn't like him and the feeling is mutual.  Maybe he doesn't like that she's good?

If you watch their social media and the behind the scenes stuff, Mark/Paige are definitely getting along IMO.  He threw her a birthday dinner a few weeks ago, and they constantly look like they are having a good time.  At least when Mark isn't in pain from his injury.  He's far more into Paige than he ever was Alexa.  Now last season is an example where I don't think he liked his partner very much.  But this season?  No way.  Plus Mark is just a huge UFC fan period so getting a fighter is probably a dream for him.

• Love 1

"I'm 4 foot 7, but I'm still above ground!" Love you Mrs. Garrett.

Best line of the night.  And I adored seeing her in the audience.  Also loved Kim Fields modeling the old school skates before her dance. 

Love Flutie and Tootie, but I'll be surprised if either make the top half.  Love Wanya's showmanship and Paige's skill -- think they are my faves. 

Best dances of the night from my completely uneducated eye:  Paige, Wanya, Kim. 

(And was that a Miller Lite tattoo on Von?  Gross!)

Sorry, but Baby Zee was too much.  Can she be a surprising elimination next week so she can focus on home and family?

Ginger looked so awkward with her crying baby. Like it was someone else's crying baby that was just handed to her, not her own. She made no real effort to soothe him. I don't know if she didn't want her fake tan rubbing off on him or what. But she didn't snuggle him close to her, just kind of held him out and let him cry.

To be fair, babies don't need to be soothed literally every time they cry. We as viewers may find a crying baby annoying, but her not soothing him isn't necessarily awkward to me. Especially since soothing him would have probably involve whipping out the boob, which would have been way more awkward.

• Love 1

To be fair, babies don't need to be soothed literally every time they cry. We as viewers may find a crying baby annoying, but her not soothing him isn't necessarily awkward to me. Especially since soothing him would have probably involve whipping out the boob, which would have been way more awkward.

I assumed she was holding him that way so he would be seen on camera.

• Love 1
(edited)

I disliked Paige's dance and no--Dana just can't help himself w/ the hyperbole--she is not "one of the 10 best fighters in the world." (She's hanging on as one of the top 10 females in her nascent division.) Agreed with Len's comments entirely. I also didn't think they needed to incorporate so much of the fighting theme into it rather than the actual paso theme. Even the cage fence made it harder to see them in those shots.

This was the least entertaining episode of the season so far. I was most amused by Mischa's acting. Someone mentioned wanting to see her acting and we got it with her giant goofy grins about "having a blast" and loving those 6s. LOL. She didn't hide the huge sigh of relief when she was finally let out of her misery. I gave her the benefit of the doubt but when I saw she blamed Artem for their second dance I was glad to see her go.

Edited by anonymiss

This "GINGER IS A NEW MOM!" stuff is already getting on my nerves. I get it. Can't they just let the woman dance without constantly referencing her motherhood?

After Bindi and her dad references, I'd say "no" :)

• Love 3
(edited)

If you watch their social media and the behind the scenes stuff, Mark/Paige are definitely getting along IMO. He threw her a birthday dinner a few weeks ago, and they constantly look like they are having a good time. At least when Mark isn't in pain from his injury. He's far more into Paige than he ever was Alexa. Now last season is an example where I don't think he liked his partner very much. But this season? No way. Plus Mark is just a huge UFC fan period so getting a fighter is probably a dream for him.

I don't even think you need to look behind the scenes to see how happy Mark is with Paige. In the 2 dances he's performed with her so far on the show, Mark has been just BEAMING. So much, he was in good spirit even with Len's comment last night about the paso.

I don't agree that Mark didn't like Alexa, though. I think they really did have a connection, but there were other things that made aspects of their partnership challenging.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 2
(edited)

What she did made sense to me. I mean...what are you really going to do on national TV? I'm not surprised that people will judge her any which way she decided to handle that moment. It was awkward, but who cares? Not everyone needs/wants to speak to their baby in a baby voice or hold the baby up to their cheek.

Also, there are a few people each season who constantly talk about their families. It's not interesting, but it's really not a big deal. 

I hope Jodie goes very far.

Edited by Jal
  • Love 1