Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E17: Manhunter

• Start Topic

J'onn J'onzz reveals the details of meeting Kara and Alex's father, Dr. Jeremiah Danvers, and assuming Hank Kenshaw's identity. Meanwhile, Kara considers confiding her secret to someone new; and Siobhan plots to bring Kara down.

J'onn J'onzz reveals the details of meeting Kara and Alex's father, Dr. Jeremiah Danvers, and assuming Hank Kenshaw's identity. Meanwhile, Kara considers confiding her secret to someone new; and Siobhan plots to bring Kara down.

Oh, for Heaven's sake, Kara -- just tell Cat once and for all and be done with it.  If she fires you, you can always remind her that it's not a good idea to piss someone off who can literally toss her off a balcony any time she feels like it!

• Love 1

Oh, for Heaven's sake, Kara -- just tell Cat once and for all and be done with it.  If she fires you, you can always remind her that it's not a good idea to piss someone off who can literally toss her off a balcony any time she feels like it!

I'd like it to be Cat, but I was actually thinking it might be Lucy.

Wouldn't Lucy find out soon enough anyway? I'm pretty sure everyone at the DEO base knows Kara and Supergirl are the same person.

Do they? Alex and Hank both usually refer to Kara as "Supergirl" when they're at the DEO or out on DEO business.

This has always been unclear. Although, with Jimmy and Winn waltzing in and out of the DEO whenever they please, I'm sure many people have figured it out.

This show is finally found its' groove.  Best episode yet.  And with one mention of Chocos - which I guess everyone knew was coming eventually - Berlanti has made me his bitch for life.

There was of course, the now obligatory writer's glitch.  If in fact Superman told the original Hank Henshaw that J'onn J'onzz was the "most powerful being on the plant," wouldn't he also have disclosed that the Martian Manhunter meant Earth no harm?  I don't get it.

Kudos to those of you that suspected Jeremiah Danvers was still alive.

Hank and Alex rolling out all Bonnie and Clyde like, I approve.

Straight up Gangster, word.

Next week looks like fun!

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 2

OMG!!! Jeremiah Danvers is alive?!!

Siobhan has powers?!!!

Lucy is okay with kara and has become the new DEO director?

Where's Hank now?

So the Flash comes next week?

Apparently the Alex/Kara ,Kara/Jeremiah flashbacks were originally shot for earlier on in the show and got cut for time,

Bets on Jeremiah being Cyborg Superman ?

Edited by Humbugged

Didn't Alex have a broken arm?  I guess it took them a few weeks to decide who the interrogation team would be. 

So the real Henshaw fell off a cliff?  That means no body, so he'll probably show up one day to get revenge.

Speaking of the real Henshaw, why on earth is Superman telling people about how powerful J'onn is?  It would be kind of funny if Alex, J'onn, and Superman had some grand offscreen adventure that involved breaking into Cadmus and rescuing Dean Cain.  It is indirectly Superman's fault that he got mixed up with the DEO, after all.

• Love 1

A few more things...

I liked the flashbacks for Alex and Kara-it seems Alex was a tad self-destructive 10 years ago. I liked how Kara was initially overwhelmed by her senses, able to hear what everyone was gossiping about. I liked how she was fascinated by the seagulls. It also seems she'd been repressing the "be a hero" urge for quite some time.

I liked how Jeramiah made the lead glasses, so Kara so it could block her enhanced vision so she could more "nornal".  Which explains why she 's lways needs to pull the glasses down to do her x-ray vision thing. It didn't occur to me her glasses would be made for that purpose.

I'm glad Siobhan didn't get away with trying to get Kara fired. So she's had powers this whole time and has never known it until now?

• Love 2

I'm not so sure of where this is headed.  For now it's fine that Lucy is in charge of the DEO but the best part of this show was the relationship between Kara, Alex and "Hank".  They better not be sidelined for long. 

Next week looks incredibly fun. 

• Love 6

Not surprised that Jeremiah is still alive, but it was still a nice reveal.  Have a feeling though that he will be very different once Alex and J'onn finally find him, assuming they are the ones that do it.  The flashbacks to how Jeremiah and J'onn met were cool, although the real Hank's "death" being by falling off a cliff makes me very suspicious.

Damn, for a second, I wondered if James Harper is actually the bastard child of General Lane, because he's just as obnoxious, arrogant, and pompous as he was.  Scratch that, I think he's worst, since he seems to actually enjoy dissecting and tearing open aliens, while General Lane just seems to be content with hating them. Either way, I'm glad he got taken out of the equation for the time being.  And Lucy's now the head of the DEO!  That could be fun.

Glad Cat saw through Siobhan's attempt to sabotage Kara.  More then makes up for her being stunned that the city was still holding a grudge on Supergirl.  Come on, Kat, you've met people.  Of course they would hold a grudge for that long.  But I guess Siobhan is a metahuman or something, since she apparently has badass screaming powers.  I'm sure she'll use it well!

Jeremiah's "You have to hide your identity" scene with Young Kara was at least way better then when Pa Kent did that on Man of Steel.

So, next week is the big crossover, so I'm really curious to see if TV can handle the overload of peppiness, smiling, puppies, and sunlight, with both Kara and Barry in the same room. And if the show is going to find some way to get them in a karaoke bar, so Melissa Benoist and Grant Gustin can use those singing pipes of theirs.  

• Love 3

Best episode by far! I had a good squeee at Lucy being the new head of the DEO and then another squeee that Cat didn't believe the email. So many well acted scenes. On a shallow note, Melissa gets prettier every episode. 

• Love 2

I wonder if Ill like Flash. I hated Grant's character on Glee.

By the way - I have a strong, strong feeling that Cat Grant really knows that Supergirl = kara and is playing along. It makes little sense otherwise. She's very protective of Supergirl now. And is turning a blind eye to Kara shirking her assistant duties.

• Love 6

One spot that I was giggling at the absurd was when J'onn "saved" Jerimiah from the non lethal albino python.  Pretty sure it's the same kind of snake Bindi Irwin daughter of the Crocodile Hunter was snogging with on Dances with the Stars last season. 

I hated him on Glee as well.  He's a totally different character as the Flash.  I swear he's impossible not to like as Barry Allen. 

• Love 3

For now it's fine that Lucy is in charge of the DEO but the best part of this show was the relationship between Kara, Alex and "Hank".  They better not be sidelined for long.

I worry about that too.

It's almost like a reboot/restructuring of the show.

That said, I liked the ep.

• Love 1

I hated him on Glee as well.  He's a totally different character as the Flash.  I swear he's impossible not to like as Barry Allen.

Well we were supposed to hate Sebastian (Grant's character) on Glee. He was an Warbler schmuck who was out to steal Blaine away from Kurt. 

Barry Allen, on the other hand is the role Grant was born to play. He's been nothing but awesome since Barry was introduced in the second season of Arrow.

Edited by madhacker
  • Love 5

Tonight was eventful for advancing plots on geek-friendly shows. Gotham jumped four weeks, and Supergirl managed a major shakeup. Not that I'm expecting Alex and Hank ("H'ank"?) to stay away for long, but I was genuinely surprised.

Nice that Kara is still dealing with ramifications from her exposure to Red K. And Siobhan's big revenge plan was . .  . sneaking into CatCo and writing a scathing letter in Kara's name. Did Cat really need Win's geek expertise to solve that mystery?

On some level, I'm not surprised Jeremiah is still alive. You can't waste Dean Cain on a Super-show. And he's with Project Cadmus. Anybody else hoping for Dubbliex? Or does J'onn max out the CGI/makeup budget?

This show is so unrealistic...like Kara knows how to ride a motorcycle...

Kara doesn't have to drive it. She could have flown and made the bike appear to be moving.

Can't wait for next week. Gonna watch the episode "live" and DVR Gotham.

• Love 2

Gustin's Barry is adorkable so that should be fun to see two adorkable superheroes together.

They finally have J'onn eating "Chocos"(the DC equivalent of Oreos).

Kelly Clarkson's "Since U Been Gone" being used in a flashback to indicate a time period? Way to make me feel old show!

It took me a while to realize the "Kate" Cat was talking to on the phone was Kate Middleton. I'm slow.

Glad that Siobhan already has her powers. I don't need another weird origin story.

I was hoping we'd see Barry meet J'onn next week but since he and Alex are going on the run it seems unlikely.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2
There was of course, the now obligatory writer's glitch.  If in fact Superman told the original Hank Henshaw that J'onn J'onzz was the "most powerful being on the plant," wouldn't he also have disclosed that the Martian Manhunter meant Earth no harm?  I don't get it.

It's not necessarily a glitch. Superman might very well have told Henshaw that J'onn was both powerful and no threat to Earth, but since Henshaw was apparently a major league racist who hated aliens he probably wouldn't have believed it. He didn't seem to like any aliens, including Superman, so if Superman is saying the green guy is the most powerful that would, to Henshaw, also make him the most dangerous.

Kara and Barry together will be so sweet I anticipate many new cavities in the viewers. 

I like the fact National City isn't just ignoring or forgetting the fact Supergirl did some real damage. It will take time for them to trust her again. Probably about the time of the season finale, I would guess. Unless Lord or someone points out the fact Non and his gang are only able to whatever they're doing because of Kara inadvertently giving them a ride to Earth.

You just can't keep Dean Cain down. This should be interesting.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 3

I hate when writers overcomplicate things. "Siobhan, we know it's you because I analyzed the typing speed and keystroke pattern and it's identical to yours." 

How about, "I looked at the time stamp on the email and we checked the security cameras and saw it was you?"

• Love 20

Every time I saw Hank locked up I got misty. So glad he's out of there. Crazy that Jeremiah is being experimented on. The flashbacks were good.

Shut up Sioban. If you weren't such a bitch none of this would have happened. I hate characters that aren't self aware of how much they suck. Winn deserves better. Now she's going to have powers and be a Supergirl nemesis- how original.

Glad Lucy has more to do than be jealous of Kara and James. Hope she stays good.

A double dose of Flash next week? Woo hoo!

• Love 1

I really loved Hank and Alex this episode and I even kind of liked the Lucy / Kara bonding.  I actually kind of hope that now that she knows Lucy and James give it another go because while I see the chemistry between Kara and James - I still don't like them as a couple. Odd I know but true.

Anyway - I hope they bring Hank and Alex back quickly because they make the show for me.  In the meantime, Kara and Barry really should be fun.

• Love 3

I hate when writers overcomplicate things. "Siobhan, we know it's you because I analyzed the typing speed and keystroke pattern and it's identical to yours."

How about, "I looked at the time stamp on the email and we checked the security cameras and saw it was you?"

Thank you! Right? I was thinking to myself, "all Kara has to do is say 'it wasn't me. Where was it sent from? My computer? Check the security footage.' " If she was really serious about getting Kara fired she should have come up with a better plan. I am glad Winn outed her and wasn't conflicted about it. If anything he seemed angry with her.

Other then that it was an awesome episode. I loved learning about how J'onn came to be Hank and seeing him connect with Jerimiah. Also loved Lucy's turnabout after Kara revealed herself to her. Seeing her all upset about Alex knowing about Hank made me wonder how she would react to learning her sister is dating/engaged/married to freaking Superman. That would be an interesting Thanksgiving. Ha!

• Love 1

A couple of things got confirmed for me tonight.  I always figured the real Hank was an asshole, and I always thought that Dean Cain was alive somewhere.  And I really hope Lucy Lane running the DEO isn't some permanent thing.

• Love 2

Siobhan has powers? Well that was interesting.

Lucy is working with Kara and running DEO. She's still useful. Unlike Jimmy who has no purpose at all and only thing he really did this episode is answer the phone. 

Loved seeing Dean Cain  and his giving Kara the glasses! So great since he was Clark for so many years.

• Love 1

Now wait a minute....

Was that scream at the end supposed to mean she's the Black Canary??? I'm so confused.

This is just speculation and I don't even remember where I saw this (maybe in a post on last episodes thread?) but I think someone mentioned she was a character called Silver Banshee, whoever that it...

So apparently the US military is like a fast food joint. You can quit, get re-hired and pick up the odd shift whenever you want. Resign your commission then pop back in and get back your rank in a week. It's amazing. I guess they're fine her career choices change based on whether or not she had a fight with her boyfriend. In fact, that's probably on a recruitment poster somewhere...

• Love 9

On some level, I'm not surprised Jeremiah is still alive. You can't waste Dean Cain on a Super-show. And he's with Project Cadmus. Anybody else hoping for Dubbliex? Or does J'onn max out the CGI/makeup budget?

Personally, I'm hoping for Kon-El (i.e. Superman's imperfect/hybrid clone; a.k.a. Superboy) because that would be a way to shake up Kara's life in a way that wouldn't require a lot of ongoing makeup or any more effects than they've already been using with Kara and Astra/Non/other Kryptonian criminals).

It would also tie back to Kara's original mission on Earth; taking care of her younger cousin (or his clone as the case might be). They already have an actor in the right age range from the Black Mercy episode and they could play up the Young Justice show angle of Superman being really uncomfortable about his clone and thus continuing to keep his distance. If they wanted to limit it to guest appearances then have him go live with Kara's reunited foster parents.

Edited by Chris24601
  • Love 3

This is just speculation and I don't even remember where I saw this (maybe in a post on last episodes thread?) but I think someone mentioned she was a character called Silver Banshee, whoever that it...

Considering that her powers appear to be exactly like Banshee in the X-Men: First Class movie.  Exactly the same, including the pseudo-flying/repelling.

Thank you! Right? I was thinking to myself, "all Kara has to do is say 'it wasn't me. Where was it sent from? My computer? Check the security footage.' " If she was really serious about getting Kara fired she should have come up with a better plan. I am glad Winn outed her and wasn't conflicted about it. If anything he seemed angry with her.

Given what a hotshot Cat is supposed to be, you would think her personal assistant would have her computer, if not her frikkin' email, password protected.  I'm pretty sure that is SOP in every company.....

And aren't they some kind of news/media outfit?   TV and movies always taught me that there was always someone on duty or working late. 

• Love 2

Now that Lucy knows Kara is Supergirl, she should realize that Clark is Superman, right? And I wouldn't be surprised if she gets back with James after this because it makes everything from his time in Metropolis to now make a lot more sense to her.

I didn't notice until it was pointed out here but Winn did figure out it was Siobhan in the most complicated way possible. Do they routinely monitor how fast employees type and which keys they hit in which order? Kara must have a really odd (though probably easily recognizable) pattern, come to think of it, since she has to go really slow and soft to keep from shattering the keyboard.

I'm thinking the real Hank is still alive too, since as has been pointed out we never see the body. Whether or not he comes back as his comic book counterpart is still in question. I'm thinking Jeremiah might turn out to be

Guardian

, since the character Eddie McClintock (who will always be Pete to me) was playing, Jim Harper, was in the comics but doesn't appear to be here.

• Love 1

By the way - I have a strong, strong feeling that Cat Grant really knows that Supergirl = kara and is playing along. It makes little sense otherwise. She's very protective of Supergirl now. And is turning a blind eye to Kara shirking her assistant duties.

I love the Flash and just hope he's just as good on this show.

Re: Cat knowing about Supergirl, I also think it's possible and she's just playing along. Especially since she knows there's a shape shifter out there and could explain away her doubts. She now knows how Kara and Supergirl could be in the same room at the same time.  I hope she's figured it out.

• Love 1

I'm still curious how Harper was able to get the boys in the lab to whip up this suppression field for J'onn J'onzz so quickly.  How would they even know it would work ?

ETA:  And if Arrow can be stabbed and fall off a mountain and survive, I'm sure the original Hank Henshaw is just fine.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 4

Dean Cain as Jeremiah Danvers is the Jonathan Kent we need, not Kevin Costner in Man of Steel.

Loved everything with Hank, and the Danvers family.

I was disappointed in Pete.  How could you do that?  Artie, Myka, Claudia, and Jinks would not approve of his actions in this episode.  Sorry, it's just that Eddie McClintock will always be Pete as far as I'm concerned.

Siobahn's scheme unraveling was stupid, well, the way it was unraveled.  A major worldwide media outlet like CatCo, would have round the clock security and cameras.  It wouldn't have been that easy for Siobahn to sneak in unnoticed.

And Project Cadmus?  We better be getting Connor Kent, and then later on Wonder Girl.  Hey, if we can't get Superman or Wonder Woman, bring in Connor and Cassie.

Edited by Jediknight
  • Love 2

Also loved Lucy's turnabout after Kara revealed herself to her. Seeing her all upset about Alex knowing about Hank made me wonder how she would react to learning her sister is dating/engaged/married to freaking Superman. That would be an interesting Thanksgiving. Ha!

Speaking of Lucy getting all upset about Alex knowing about Hank, can someone explain to me how that exactly happened?  As far as I could tell, Alex passed the lie detector test, the other dude was ready to let her go and then Lucy just got a gut feeling??  What was the proof?

I was disappointed in Pete.  How could you do that?  Artie, Myka, Claudia, and Jinks would not approve of his actions in this episode.  Sorry, it's just that Eddie McClintock will always be Pete as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, Pete was being mean.  Someone bring out the purple goo.  Do you smell fudge?

ETA:  And if Arrow can be stabbed and fall off a mountain and survive, I'm sure the original Hank Henshaw is just fine.

Only if there was enough penicillin tea. 

• Love 5