Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E17: Manhunter

• Start Topic

As far as I could tell, Alex passed the lie detector test, the other dude was ready to let her go and then Lucy just got a gut feeling??  What was the proof?

What is this "proof" of which you speak?  The gut feeling of a not quite so detached officer is more than enough to send an agent off to the government's little shop of horrors.

Although now that Alex is officially a fugitive will Kara be concerned that government agents will be monitoring her?  Does the government have that level of common sense? 

• Love 2
Speaking of Lucy getting all upset about Alex knowing about Hank, can someone explain to me how that exactly happened?  As far as I could tell, Alex passed the lie detector test, the other dude was ready to let her go and then Lucy just got a gut feeling??  What was the proof?
Yeah this certainly bothered me too.  Her only evidence was that Alex continued defending J'onn.  That was somehow enough to give her an potential death sentence.  Not cool.

Now that Lucy knows Kara is Supergirl, she should realize that Clark is Superman, right? And I wouldn't be surprised if she gets back with James after this because it makes everything from his time in Metropolis to now make a lot more sense to her.
If this was Kara Kent then sure I could see her making the connection, but the Danvers have no relation to Clark and he appears to keep his distance.  So there is no real connection that she would likely know about between Kara and Clark besides the fact that both are friends with Jimmy?

As far as getting back together with Jimmy, I don't see it.  Lucy's initial issue with Jimmy was that he had a Super fetish, combine that with the fact that she believed he was in love with Kara and it means that knowing the truth just means she now knows why he has feelings for Kara.   Knowing does not change the fact that his feelings for her were not enough for him to open up to her about personal matters, nor does it change the fact that he has feelings for Kara.  So I do not see why she would consider re-entering a relationship with him at this time.

I'm still curious how Harper was able to get the boys in the lab to whip up this suppression field for J'onn J'onzz so quickly.  How would they even know it would work ?
Well I mean they seemingly already had some kind of power suppression field at work inside of their cages otherwise the White Martian would have easily escaped.  So really it was just a matter of making it more portable.  Of course that doesn't explain how they managed to make or test the cages suppression powers unless J'onn secretly helped design them and tested them with their inventor...
  • Love 2

Given what a hotshot Cat is supposed to be, you would think her personal assistant would have her computer, if not her frikkin' email, password protected.  I'm pretty sure that is SOP in every company.....

People don't like having to type passwords, so they'll often have their computer remember their email password, never deliberately lock it, and have the auto-lock set really high, so they only have to unlock it in the morning, if at all.

De-lurking to say: When Lucy was going off about how Kara (and all of the other aliens) hide who they are and lie about it and that she hated them for it, I just wanted Kara to tell her "Well we do that, because when you do find out about us you run experiments on us!". Of course they wouldn't be shouting it from the rooftops because as soon as the government found out they would be pretty much dead.. 

• Love 9

Cat telling Kate that she should tell her (grand)mother-in-law that she should give Damerys to American women is why I love to hate Cat.  Willing to go back on the American revolution so she can get a title.

I liked Jeremiah and Alex referring to J'onn as a refugee. I wonder if that word would have been used if not for Mr. Trump and various other member of the Republican Party.  Certainly Pete's description of Cadmus as "it's a necessary place, a place where we can unlock secrets to save American lives ... I'm protecting the world" sounds a lot like Guantanamo.

Now I want a B story of Hank and Alex looking for Cadmus and freeing Jeremiah.

.And aren't they some kind of news/media outfit?   TV and movies always taught me that there was always someone on duty or working late. 

I once worked in a newsroom (ironically the one of the station that now airs Supergirl) and there was always one poor copy clerk on the overnight shift, calling police and fire stations to see if there is anything happening so they can get a camera crew out there.

Speaking of Lucy getting all upset about Alex knowing about Hank, can someone explain to me how that exactly happened?  As far as I could tell, Alex passed the lie detector test, the other dude was ready to let her go and then Lucy just got a gut feeling??  What was the proof?

That bugged me too.  Pete okay'd her as passing and then Lucy gets a feeling that she's lying and that trumps any solid evidence?  Yeah, no bias there.

And I wish Lucy would just shut up about aliens getting what they deserve because they lie. They lie because when they tell the truth, like J'onn did, humans try to kill them.

I don't want Lucy back with James because their relationship was a mess from the beginning even without Kara/Supergirl being added into the mix.  

When Lucy came on the screen, my daughter said "She's Laurel x 10." Lucy is like Laurel in that it seems that someone likes her so much they're willing to bend the show to write her in (e.g. becoming the head of the DEO when she's a lawyer with no combat or administrative skills).  But at least she's working with Kara instead of against her and there was a moment of vulnerability at the end.  It seems someone has learned that it hurts the character to be anti the fan favorite.

• Love 1

Okay, riddle me this (I know, wrong superhero...) BUT if crime is up 40% in National City, just how much of that is due to Supergirl's Very Bad Day? Had she dropped the crime rate by that much? (I think not, since she hasn't been around THAT long and local crimefighter not her main flying-around role). So if there's suddenly a crime spree in the city, it's either because law enforcement is sitting on its hands, or it's more of a scare tactic by some aspect of the local government (or media that is not-CATCO-related, if there is such a thing).

• Love 2

I missed it because it was so quick, but Lucy mentioned something where Alex had contradicted what Hank/Jon told her. I have to rewatch to see what it was, but she had evidence against her - which btw shouldnt have been enough to take her, a human, to Project Cadmus. Also, they didn't interrogate Kara at all, werent they supposed to investigate her next? Why were they transferring Alex and Hank before getting testimony from Supergirl?

On a shallow note, Melissa gets prettier every episode. 

Oh gosh yes! She has officially crossed the cute threshold to the hot threshold. Melissa in the motorcycle outfit was super sexy.

The thing with Siobhan writing that email drove me crazy too. I mean, c'mon, it's CatCo Media. How was it that easy to enter the building?! A terminated employee like Siobhan, especially with the way she was terminated, should be completely blacklisted from that building and should not be able to walk amongst the halls freely. If she actually had to crawl or climb or pick locks, etc., it would have been more believable.

Edited by slowpoked
  • Love 2

Certainly Pete's description of Cadmus as "it's a necessary place, a place where we can unlock secrets to save American lives ... I'm protecting the world" sounds a lot like Guantanamo.

Now I want a B story of Hank and Alex looking for Cadmus and freeing Jeremiah.

And I wish Lucy would just shut up about aliens getting what they deserve because they lie. They lie because when they tell the truth, like J'onn did, humans try to kill them.

I had to look up who Cadmus was in Greek mythology -- a great hero and slayer of monsters, per Wikipedia.

As for Harper and Lucy going on about the aliens lying, like the military has never lied about anything ever -- or done secret covert stuff that they lied about as a coverup when it inevitably goes sideways.  Just a few episodes ago when that nuke was diverted by Supergirl and crashed in the waters offshore from National City, didn't the media report that NASA called it a Soyuz replenishment rocket destined to re-supply the ISS ?  No, that's not lying at all.  Can't have it both ways people.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 4
I missed it because it was so quick, but Lucy mentioned something where Alex had contradicted what Hank/Jon told her. I have to rewatch to see what it was, but she had evidence against her.

Nope...

"She's lying.  He told you he tried to rescue your father.  He told you he's protecting you.  He made you believe he was the father you lost.  And now you're under arrest."  Pure gut based on the fact that Alex was defending J'onn.

Edited by Xenith22
  • Love 3

While I get why Harper might have an issue with aliens and particularly with J'onn being one, especially one in the form of his best friend, I thought his accusations rang kind of hollow. He mentioned how 'Hank' had been to his house, near his kids...and? Did he eat them? Scare them? Hurt them in any way? Just because he is an alien doesn't automatically make him a monster or a threat. The only thing J'onn has ever done is help people. He had to be compelled by Alex, a human, to go against Lord and refused to fight the DEO when they realized what he was. J'onn didn't even kill the real Hank, Jeremiah, a human, did.

• Love 5

As for Harper and Lucy going on about the aliens lying, like the military has never lied about anything ever -- or done secret covert stuff that they lied about as a coverup when it inevitably goes sideways.  Just a few episodes ago when that nuke was diverted by Supergirl and crashed in the waters offshore from National City, didn't the media report that NASA called it a Soyuz replenishment rocket destined to re-supply the ISS ?  No, that's not lying at all.  Can't have it both ways people.

Isn't the DEO a super sekrete agency?

• Love 2

Does anyone know if a military officer can quit the armed forces and just a couple weeks later change their mind and return to their previous rank as if nothing ever happened? This aspect of the episode mystified me but the characters barely blinked at this sudden turn of events.

• Love 5

Does anyone know if a military officer can quit the armed forces and just a couple weeks later change their mind and return to their previous rank as if nothing ever happened?

In a word, no.  A military officer can resign their commission, but it's a very long process. Generally officers "drop their papers" 8-12 months before they actually get out. And they are on duty and employed by the military during that time.

Of course, officers don't wear their full dress uniforms on a daily basis, or run around indoors with their cover (hat) on, LUCY. I also love the fact that Pete (don't know his character's name, don't care) apparently has EVERY medal in the PX. I have a feeling if I got a screenshot he'd have Army, Navy and Air Force ribbons on there. ProTip--Marines don't hand out medals like candy.

The guy who played Pete played a former Marine on Warehouse 13, and THAT show was much better about getting the military details right. I wonder if the actor tried to correct the writers/costume designers/everyone and got shot down. 

J'onn didn't even kill the real Hank, Jeremiah, a human, did

I wondered about that--J'onn clearly told them that he didn't kill Hank, and yet later the two doofuses were still accusing him of that.

• Love 4

Does anyone know if a military officer can quit the armed forces and just a couple weeks later change their mind and return to their previous rank as if nothing ever happened? This aspect of the episode mystified me but the characters barely blinked at this sudden turn of events.

I was pretty outraged at Lucy torpedoing her entire career because she Wuved James but then they had her working for CatCo like ten minutes later and I just put it down to the stupid that is this show. But they have outdone themselves.

So here's my fan wank for the people who are enjoying this train wreck and not just watching for the hair (like me):

Lucy decided to resign her commission and took an extended period of leave while she began the process that would take up to a year. She wouldn't be allowed to take up employment elsewhere during this period but this is a fan wank so just overlook that. When she realised it wasn't going to work out with James, she rescinded her resignation and came back from leave into the job she still had because she was just on leave from it.

I hope you enjoyed this fan wank.

• Love 8

I didn't know how they would reveal Siobhan's comic alter ego, but I thought it was one of the better reveals I've seen lately.

Wait, didn't "Hank" tell Alex that she wasn't recruited because of her sister (in the Pilot?), but here, it one of the first things he mentions when he's recruiting her.

Yeah, I also need an explanation for Alex being arrested.

I guess since "Hank" and Alex are out of the DEO, Kara needed an ally in the organization; but I still don't like that Lucy knows Supergirl's identity. On the other hand, congrats on confirming your ex's fetish!

I thought the scene with Young!Kara rescuing the mother and baby was well done.

• Love 1

I can understand how inconsistencies and nonsensical setups can put people off a show. God knows it's happened to me before with other shows that shall remain nameless. But personally, I will usually forgive a show a lot as long as they keep serving up emotional pay-off and emotionally resonant moments that let me connect with the characters and feel for them and with them. And for the most part, I think that’s something the writers and actors have done quite well (thus far) on this show. (It also doesn’t hurt that this show has had some really fun fight scenes and stunts. I don’t think I’ll ever tire of watching Kara, Alex, and Hank kicking ass :D).

IMO, the show so far has done a solid job of addressing the characters’ headspace and let’s them actually talk to each other about how they’re feeling, what they’re thinking, where they’re coming from emotionally. Whether they’re pissed at each other, disappointed, freaked out, simply giving each other some emotional support, or whatever, the characters talk to each other and react to each other and it matters. Their emotions and the decisions derived from those emotions impact the story, and so for the most part* it doesn’t feel to me like the plot is driving the show. (*Obviously, the show isn’t perfect and there have been times where things have transpired Because PlotTM)

I think this show has a great cast with fantastic chemistry, particularly between Melissa Benoist, Chyler Leigh, and David Harewood, and also Benoist and Calista Flockhart, and these relationships for me are the core of the show. So as long as the writers keep them talking to each other, connecting, and having meaningful conversations that let the characters and the story breathe (and not just spouting plot points at each other), and conversations that (to me) feel emotionally honest, then I’m going to let all those inconsistencies and setups that are total nonsense slide right off me. (And to be honest, there have been several head-scratchers, and “Hold up…that doesn’t compute” moments that I’ve been handwaving away.)

So, in this episode where Lucy somehow regains her commission, is that realistic? Nope. Do I care? Meh, not really because despite that we got: 1) a (IMO) cool motorbike stunt scene with Kara, Alex, and Hank kicking ass, taking names and wiping memories; and 2) Kara and Alex have a really sweet moment after Alex and Hank have been sprung from the Cadmus Express and fugitives Alex and Hank are about to part from Team Supergirl.

That Lucy was suddenly appointed, with no oversight and without a formal hearing, to run an elite and powerful organization doesn’t seem legit to me, but I’m choosing to let it go because, to be honest, it was a nice touch that Lucy, concerned about her new position, turned to Kara for help and Kara was just wonderfully supportive. Look at that, folks — Women in powerful positions supporting each other instead of trying to stab each other in the back. I’m here for that.

Now, with all that said, the moment this show loses the characters as cornerstones and instead all of the show’s focus is on fueling a plot that runs roughshod over everything else, then I will take the show to task for the inconsistencies and plot points that don’t make sense, even for a fantasy show.

I guess, right now, I'm happily forgiving the show a lot because I find Kara, Alex, and Hank (and even Cat in her own bitchy, snarky way at times) endearing and the writing focuses on them enough to keep me content and coming back for more. All in all, I’m really enjoying the show and especially the last two episodes, which I find have been really on point; both the writing and especially the actors have been skillfully executing some very poignant scenes (e.g., Benoist in last week’s episode, Falling, absolutely nailed her performance, as did Chyler Leigh). 

After this episode, my main concerns are that the writers not break up my band (Kara and Alex) because for me their relationship is the cornerstone of the show (Alex and Hank are coming back soon, right, writers? Right???) And also, I think the writers need to calm down — stop shifting the character dynamics so much — and let the character relationships settle into a rhythm first before mucking about with their interpersonal dynamics. I’ve noticed that over the course of the season the writers have shifted the dynamics between the characters hither and thither. And while that can be, in general, a good thing because it helps keep the story fresh, I think it works better when you’ve let the characters settle into a rhythm before you change things up. But that’s just my two cents. (And oh, I want Astra back. Yes, I know it’s not gonna happen, but I’m putting it out there in case the writers are ever taking input on that topic ;)

Edited by regularlyleaded
  • Love 8

In the real world? No. In this series where she's the daughter of General Lane, who is apparently the highest ranking person in the Army and can do whatever the hell he wants? I guess so. He probably didn't clear her paperwork and then said he'd placed her on leave for a few months while he waited for her to come "to her senses." So the job was still waiting for her when she came back.

• Love 3

Of course, officers don't wear their full dress uniforms on a daily basis, or run around indoors with their cover (hat) on, LUCY. I also love the fact that Pete (don't know his character's name, don't care) apparently has EVERY medal in the PX. I have a feeling if I got a screenshot he'd have Army, Navy and Air Force ribbons on there. ProTip--Marines don't hand out medals like candy.

Someone must have dissected this, but you are absolutely right on the medals.  

didn't "Hank" tell Alex that she wasn't recruited because of her sister

He told her she was recruited because of her sister but that she(Alex) was the reason she got to stay. 

Pretty much everything Lucy does is annoying. I was hoping we were done with her when she broke up with James...again...Her being in charge of the DEO better not last long.

Edited by miracole
  • Love 5

I wondered about that--J'onn clearly told them that he didn't kill Hank, and yet later the two doofuses were still accusing him of that.

They'd already pegged him as an evil alien infiltrator so why would they believe his claims of innocence about that? 

Speaking of which, the newscaster did quite a bit of editorializing in his report.  J'onn was credited with stopping the rampage of National City's least favorite Kryptonian but he was still referred to as a monster even though he peacefully surrendered.  That's kind of harsh, especially since J'onn isn't some sort of tentacle creature - he's a green, bald humanoid who has the grace to wear (shapeshift?) a nifty outfit rather than walking around naked.  I wonder if Superman had weighed in: you'd think that anyone trying to get his opinion about his cousin going nuts would also ask him about the green guy who can match a Kryptonian.

• Love 2

Siobahn's scheme unraveling was stupid, well, the way it was unraveled. A major worldwide media outlet like CatCo, would have round the clock security and cameras. It wouldn't have been that easy for Siobahn to sneak in unnoticed.

If the DEO doesn't bother having security cameras monitoring visits to their highest-security cell, why should CatCo care about their offices?

Seriously: if anybody had security cameras (and microphones) recording conversations in any building we've seen in the DC TV multiverse, they'd make a fortune in either blackmail, or reality TV.

• Love 1

I agree that they're getting (almost all of) the character beats right. But the easily-fixed slips still bother me.

J'onn didn't even kill the real Hank, Jeremiah, a human, did.

As Jeremiah, who is in Cadmus custody, would presumably be willing to tell them.  If they were at all interested in the truth, that is.

I also wondered about the number of medals on Lucy's chest, a lawyer who presumably has never seen active duty.

Wait, didn't "Hank" tell Alex that she wasn't recruited because of her sister (in the Pilot?), but here, it one of the first things he mentions when he's recruiting her.

I can't remember what he told her but from the scene in the jail, I got the impression that he recruited her to give her a purpose in life other than feeling sorry for herself and getting wasted.

Edited by statsgirl

People don't like having to type passwords, so they'll often have their computer remember their email password, never deliberately lock it, and have the auto-lock set really high, so they only have to unlock it in the morning, if at all.

Worse than that, in my office, the agents regularly use communal/shared computers to access their personal information and then leave the screens up and walk away.  I can't tell you how many times I've sat at the front desk computer and had complete and total access to email, which often includes banking information.  My favorite is when they call me to ask me what their passwords are because, among my many jobs I get to play IT occasionally, they seem to think I can magically know their password.

And as far as I know, studying/recording keystrokes (keylogger) isn't something that is easily done even for a mega-news firm like CatCo.  It generally works in a closed system, where the IT dept has total control of the system (software, hardware, etc. & limited Internet access) you are using, like a hospital.  Also, it would have been something mentioned in when the employee was hired, as recording keystrokes can be construed as a violation of privacy since it's often a type of malware.

I hate when writers overcomplicate things. "Siobhan, we know it's you because I analyzed the typing speed and keystroke pattern and it's identical to yours." 

How about, "I looked at the time stamp on the email and we checked the security cameras and saw it was you?"

Indeed.  My reaction was "We GET IT, Winn is super smart and had to go overboard to prove it.  How lax is your security sys- Wait, this is DCTV universe.  Security is an afterthought and secret identities mean jack."  

• Love 1

I also wondered about the number of medals on Lucy's chest, a lawyer who presumably has never seen active duty.

Actually, I found a good screenshot, and her ribbon bar doesn't look so bad. Most of them are "thank you for playing" ribbons  (the kind you get routinely) rather than combat medals. She's also Army, which tends to be a bit more generous with awards. The only two that don't match up with a desk jockey are the Afghanistan Campaign Medal and the Overseas Service Ribbon, and it's possible that she was sent over to do a tour there as a lawyer.

This is really strange...her ribbons are appropriate, and even in the right order (although a couple of them have some weird devices on them), which indicates someone paid attention to detail. And yet, the show has basic errors like her running around in dress blues in every circumstance, leaving her cover on while indoors, and the whole thing with "I resigned/never mind!". 

Ah well, maybe I should just watch for the hair porn. :)

• Love 4

In a word, no.  A military officer can resign their commission, but it's a very long process.... I also love the fact that Pete (don't know his character's name, don't care) apparently has EVERY medal in the PX. I have a feeling if I got a screenshot he'd have Army, Navy and Air Force ribbons on there. ProTip--Marines don't hand out medals like candy.

The guy who played Pete played a former Marine on Warehouse 13, and THAT show was much better about getting the military details right. I wonder if the actor tried to correct the writers/costume designers/everyone and got shot down. 

I have developed the notion that every. single. military. character on this show is a caricature. While teamSupergirl is able to take stereotypes and turn them on their head (Cat Grant is the most awesome of the awesomest anti-stereotype evah), the obstructionist establishment characters are all outlandishly flat parodies. Thus, why stop at one branch of the mean ol' military... let's plaster stuff from ALL of them on his jacket-sees.

I finally had a chance to watch this and... I felt really bad for Siobhan! I don't think that's what I'm supposed to be feeling, but IMHO, Cat was really horrible to Siobhan. Not with the initial firing--that was fine and justified for Siobhan trying to sell a scoop to a rival company--but for the blackballing afterwards and the everything that led up to the scoop selling. Cat used Siobhan as revenge against Kara and never seemed to consider Siobhan as an actual potential competent employee. Once Kara was back in Cat's good graces, Cat just seemed to view Siobhan as an annoyance rather than an employee to be mentored, even as Siobhan was demonstrating a lot of good traits that just needed a bit of direction.

Cat was supposed to have learned a lesson about better mentoring in the Livewire episode, but she really hasn't. I like her a lot as a character, but her rudeness only works with Kara because there's a counterbalance. When that counterbalance isn't there, Cat's just a capricious, bad boss. And also, I know she has a soft spot for Supergirl because she named her and Supergirl helps the city and all that, but IMHO, she's demonstrating bad judgement as a media magnate by squelching stories that are likely to come out anyway.

Also, Cat really does need to either replace Kara or have a back up assistant because Kara keeps falling down on the job. 

• Love 1

I wonder if Superman had weighed in: you'd think that anyone trying to get his opinion about his cousin going nuts would also ask him about the green guy who can match a Kryptonian.

I have come to the conclusion that this Universe's Superman is a bit of a dick.  He keeps his distance from Cousin Kara (yeah, I know franchise rights, etc.) but how about bi-weekly phone calls or mentions of Skypes?  What sealed the deal for me was Jimmy's "He (Superman) knows about Project Cadmus, that's why he refuses to work with the Government" comment.  Hey Clark, what ever happened to "truth, justice and the American way?"  The Supes I grew up with would actively protest Cadmus, if for no other reason than he, Cousin Kara and friend J'onn are friendly refugees that, clearly, could win up there at any given moment if public sentiment goes far enough in the other direction.  Yeah, this iteration of Kal-El seems to be a major ass-clown, sorry.

Also, Cat really does need to either replace Kara or have a back up assistant because Kara keeps falling down on the job.

Like other posters, I believe Cat has figured out the truth about Kara and is playing along now.  Especially now that Cat knows that SG has been working with a shape-shifter.   The season finale will likely feature a conversation between the two about the secret identity thing.

On a shallow note, Melissa gets prettier every episode.

Oh gosh yes! She has officially crossed the cute threshold to the hot threshold. Melissa in the motorcycle outfit was super sexy.

Co-sign.  She is incandescently hot in a charming "girl-next-door" kind of way.  I've seen Melissa on a few talk shows and she's got a dynamite personality, funny, down-to-earth and totally unaffected.  She was so adorable on James Corden's show awhile back, pretending to be one of Charlie's Angels (complete with a pose) along with Olivia Wilde and Saoirse Ronan (now there's a movie I'd go to).  Plus, Melissa seems like she would be really, really cool to hang out with.  As you can tell, I'm smitten.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 1

I have come to the conclusion that this Universe's Superman is a bit of a dick.  He keeps his distance from Cousin Kara (yeah, I know franchise   I've seen Melissa on a few talk shows and she's got a dynamite personality, funny, down-to-earth and totally unaffected.  She was so adorable on James Corden's show awhile back, pretending to be one of Charlie's Angels (complete with a pose) along with Olivia Wilde and Saoirse Ronan (now there's a movie I'd go to).  Plus, Melissa seems like she would be really, really cool to hang out with.  As you can tell, I'm smitten.

Agreed.  Kara still tends to dress (and act) as though she's about 16 years old, but in those few episodes where she does dress more like an adult (particularly in "Falling") she looks smoking hot -- the dress she wore in that episode in the scene where she turns the tables on Siobhan, the way she had her hair done up, and the way she was really using her makeup to full effect made my jaw drop, and I'm a gay man!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2

James awkwardly picking up the phone in front of Cat was the most I've ever liked him.

And Lucy driving up on a motorcycle to help Kara was the most I've ever liked her.

Too bad I'll probably never like James again... Jury's still out on Lucy, but PLEASE, don't make her tell Kara "go for it". I've seen it enough on Arrow. Exes don't do this, as a rule. 

Overall, an OK episode. I liked the flashbacks, and Hank's actor did a great job - real!Hank had very different mannerisms, I've recognized him in a second. 

Alex/Kara is still the emotional heart of the show and I love it. I hope it never changes. (I still have horrible Nikita flashbacks when a really fun show centered on the friendship between two women became all. about. love interests. Ugh.)

Maybe there will be another spinoff: Agent Danvers and J'onn J'onnz: Manhunters!

(Hey, I'd watch it.)

I actually had a though during the "Hank recruits Alex" flashback that I would enjoy such a show immensely more. They could have left Kara superpowered, just not a superhero, while Alex learns the ropes, and do it as a more of a spy show. I think I actually identify with Alex more than with Kara. She feels more... real, to me, and more flawed.

Edited by FurryFury

There was of course, the now obligatory writer's glitch.  If in fact Superman told the original Hank Henshaw that J'onn J'onzz was the "most powerful being on the plant," wouldn't he also have disclosed that the Martian Manhunter meant Earth no harm?  I don't get it.

I agree that Supes saying that could make someone think that he's even more dangerous. To paraphrase Batman from Batman v. Superman, if there's even a 1 percent chance that he could be a threat, Henshaw could think that it must be treated as an absolute certainty.

Speaking of the real Henshaw, why on earth is Superman telling people about how powerful J'onn is? 

I assume it was in a context such that he said "He's so powerful but he's not a threat so you should rethink this whole stance on aliens."

I co-sign the notion that the SG-verse Superman is kind of a douche. The notion that he would know about a government operation that dissects sentient aliens and a) not protest it beyond refusing to work with the government b) not actively dismantle it to free the alien captives who have likely done nothing wrong and c) not told Kara of the project's existence and it being the reason for not working for the government are all problematic IMO.

I swear he's impossible not to like as Barry Allen. 

I think the writers do Grant no particular favors when they have Barry be a) indecisive and in need of at least a pep talk an episode b) unwilling to focus on what needs to be done c) make choices such as risking literally the entire universe for a chance to save his mother.

That said, Grant (and Jesse L. Martin, and for that matter Melissa on SG) are charming enough to elevate their characters well past the stupid behaviors the writers put on the page.

While I get why Harper might have an issue with aliens and particularly with J'onn being one, especially one in the form of his best friend, I thought his accusations rang kind of hollow. He mentioned how 'Hank' had been to his house, near his kids...and? Did he eat them? Scare them? Hurt them in any way? Just because he is an alien doesn't automatically make him a monster or a threat. The only thing J'onn has ever done is help people. He had to be compelled by Alex, a human, to go against Lord and refused to fight the DEO when they realized what he was. J'onn didn't even kill the real Hank, Jeremiah, a human, did.

We know that, but Harper can't. What he does know is that J'onn has lied for 10 years and has had access to all the DEO's information about aliens, and to its alien prisoners. There really is no good reason he kept up the charade for 10 years (and really, the DEO kind of sucks that it was fooled for 10 years, what with "Henshaw's" random eye flashes. And that's even putting aside the personality change, and that J'onn would not fully be in a position to know everything the real Henshaw knew.) If he really wanted to help, there's probably a half-dozen ways he could have done it without impersonating Henshaw. He could have approached in his true form, had Supes vouch for him, and partnered with the DEO much like Supergirl does, for example.

• Love 1

I co-sign the notion that the SG-verse Superman is kind of a douche. The notion that he would know about a government operation that dissects sentient aliens and a) not protest it beyond refusing to work with the government b) not actively dismantle it to free the alien captives who have likely done nothing wrong and c) not told Kara of the project's existence and it being the reason for not working for the government are all problematic IMO.

Let's not forget that Kara never even gets to see Supes' Fortress of Solitude until freaking James takes her there.  What's up with that?

If he really wanted to help, there's probably a half-dozen ways he could have done it without impersonating Henshaw. He could have approached in his true form, had Supes vouch for him, and partnered with the DEO much like Supergirl does, for example.

Yeah, another of the writers' gimmicks that don't make a whole lot of sense.  Maybe they were concerned that J'onn's many powers would have upstaged Kara if we saw too much of him?   The Smallville writers used MM in a very natural and organic way so that he didn't upstage Clark, SG's writers should be able to do the exact same thing.

Edited by Winston Wolfe

Let's not forget that Kara never even gets to see Supes' Fortress of Solitude until freaking James takes her there.  What's up with that?

Kara explained that Clark had offered many times to take her, but she turned him down each time, worried it would make her homesick.

• Love 2

I have come to the conclusion that this Universe's Superman is a bit of a dick.  He keeps his distance from Cousin Kara (yeah, I know franchise rights, etc.) but how about bi-weekly phone calls or mentions of Skypes?  What sealed the deal for me was Jimmy's "He (Superman) knows about Project Cadmus, that's why he refuses to work with the Government" comment.  Hey Clark, what ever happened to "truth, justice and the American way?"

As Max Lord said, "The American Way" is now about imprisoning people without trial for indefinite periods of time.

That said, I can see why the writers would want to keep Project Cadmus a secret until the big reveal in this episode. Too bad they didn't realize how it would make Superman look bad.

I don't want Kara phoning or messaging Clark though. Part of the show's progress is Kara growing into not just her powers but also her maturity and the constant mention that she has a more powerful, more adult cousin who has been through all this already would detract from that for me.

Edited by statsgirl

It's not just "one guy." Did you see all those medals? :)

Seriously, the dangerous alien was contained (albeit in the most obvious of ways) with the stasis field and remote. One should think they should not include the remote in the truck, or at least, not in the same cabin where the dangerous alien could get ahold of it. 

But then, one would think that no one would be able to track the truck, because precious few knew about the cargo. This should feed directly into the paranoia about the dangerous alien having moles throughout the DEO. And since Lucy is one of what I presume a handful of people who knew the route the truck was taking, one would think she'd have to come under suspicion.

As for Superman seeming douchey, that's the writers fault. I'll take my complaints to another thread, though.

I had no problem with the way the military was trampling all over Alex's rights. The entire point of it was that rampant fear and paranoia were causing Harper and Co. to sacrifice due process for expediency. There are a lot in this world who would agree with him, but only as long as it's "those people" over there getting their rights trampled ('cause they're not like us so they can't think like us and it must be assumed they have the worst motives instead of, y'know, just trying to get through each day like we do). Unfortunately, fear and paranoia don't stay within the walls some people would so obviously like to build. It makes total sense that once Harper dealt with J'onn he would start on anyone else in the vicinity who didn't denounce him. I just wish he'd gone off on someone who had up to that point been supportive just because they ended up connected in a small significant way - "by the time they came for me there was no one left to speak up".

Anyway, that's enough of that. But I enjoyed seeing those points made in a superhero show.

The last two episodes have not diminished the sense that Harewood and Leigh are *not* playing their scenes as father and daughter, whatever they might say in interviews. Now they're on the run together! Like Patch and Kayla! /datingmyself

I've binge-watched every episode in the last three days and I am LOVING it!

• Love 1

I've binge-watched every episode in the last three days and I am LOVING it!

Welcome aboard!

This made me ridiculously happy. BWAHAHA!

I'm holding out hope that, over on Gotham, young Bruce will flatten some obnoxious red-headed oaf sporting a mushroom cut with... wait for it... ONE PUNCH!  :)

• Love 2

I really like that they gave a reason why Kara wears glasses other than a disguise. In the pilot I wondered why she was wearing them when she wasn't even Supergirl yet!

I think that scene (explaining the glasses) was supposed to be shown in the pilot and was then cut for time. Most of the flashbacks were cut from other earlier episodes.

Young Kara being overwhelmed by her senses could count as a reference to Man of Steel; so I think theyhave had references to most of the recent and/or popular incarnations of Superman. The only one missing, as far as I can tell, is a reference to the animated series.