Type keyword(s) to search

Past Contestants: Ins and Outs

• Start Topic

Bravo's rerunning 2008 (winner: Christian), and I'm remembering why it's one of my faves.  

The recycled-denim ep highlight: praise and success for Ricki and Sweet P (I'd KILL for her dress here!!), who had both been ignored/ridiculed by other designers.  When Ricki wept after the critical lauding on the runway, I teared up a little too (he went on to win the challenge).  Was glad to see the two cheered prior to their inevitable aufing.

Edited by voiceover

Omg. Watching a 1st season re-run. The tee-vee says S1/Ep01--- but No Way! Right?! I feel so old! It's an Unconventional Materials Challenge. Kara Saun running around on the street looking for a model, because the fabulous Morgan was MIA. She showed up late hot mess crying ("my agency dropped me!") utter chaos in her wake, but still turned it out on the runway.

Austin Scarlett, Daniel Franco out (whaat?!?), Wendy Pepper, Jay McCaroll taking cigarette breaks. (Ep02-- swathed in fur: "I didn't take the bitch's dye!") Parson's. Cut-throat model selections. Heidi & Tim look so young, how old does that make me? Lol. Good times.

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 8

Yass, honey! Guest judge: Patricia Field (from Sex & the City). Whaat! The gorgeous 16 year old model going on 36...! All the models lined up on the runway in nighties & bare feet.

If only the new reincarnation can capture this magic....

• Love 2

DAMN IT, BRAVO!!  Bravo had a PR marathon SEASON TWO scheduled for today ... I have a paperwork project to do at home, it's snowing, I had my coffee ... AND AT THE LAST MINUTE, Bravo redid the schedule FOR A MILLION DOLLAR LISTING marathon.  And Project Runway 2 is STILL listed on its schedule for today!!  

Why, Bravo, why??  Why change it at the last minute?  Did Andy call you up and say that Ben isn't into Runway, change it?  WHY?  

I'm so annoyed that I found the first six seasons on YOUTUBE and they're not the officially uploaded versions.  Take that, Bravo.  This isn't rocket science.  

• Love 5
On 3/7/2019 at 4:46 PM, chitowngirl said:

They are only showing part 2 of the finale. 😡

Thank you! I’ve been cursing my DVR for days! What also strikes me is how many of these people have died 😢 

The first few seasons of this show were THE  BEST. it’s also amazing IMO, how damn talented Christian was. 

Edited by DrSparkles
  • Love 1

Rewatching season one 15(?) years after I first watched it is weird because I was a college student back then and now I'm in my mid-30's, two years younger than Wendy was when she was on the show. Wendy was constantly saying Project Runway was her last chance and it's like, "Girl, you're 39, not 89." I think concepts of age have changed over time and being 40 isn't the same as it was 20, 30, 40 years ago (or maybe I just feel that way because I'm getting older), but I definitely don't feel like I couldn't change careers or become super successful just because I haven't accomplished that before age 40.

• Love 4

I watched parts of the season 1 finale today, too, and felt wistful and so sad to see Wendy, her mother, and her beautiful kid given Wendy’s death.   I am glad to read in a lovely, full, obituary, that Wendy handled her “villainy” with grace.   Thirteen years later, her comments about Kara Saun’s entitlement unfortunately are bang-on.   I’m sure it meant not so much to either of them, but some part of me wishes they hugged it out at some point.

https://middleburglife.com/remembering-wendy-pepper-fashion-icon-free-spirit/

Finley is a beautiful young woman now.  I’m so sorry she’s lost her mother.

Edited by Midnight Cheese
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Midnight Cheese said:

I watched parts of the season 1 finale today, too, and felt wistful and so sad to see Wendy, her mother, and her beautiful kid given Wendy’s death.   I am glad to read in a lovely, full, obituary, that Wendy handled her “villainy” with grace.   Thirteen years later, her comments about Kara Saun’s entitlement unfortunately are bang-on.   I’m sure it meant not so much to either of them, but some part of me wishes they hugged it out at some point.

https://middleburglife.com/remembering-wendy-pepper-fashion-icon-free-spirit/

Finley is a beautiful young woman now.  I’m so sorry she’s lost her mother.

Totally agree...what a lovely young lady. Really, Wendy's villainy really was not that awful looking back on it. She simply came into the game with a strategy similar to Richard Hatch on Survivor. The first season is amazing just for the shock and awe of Jay's brilliant collection.

On 3/11/2019 at 5:38 PM, MerBearStare said:

Rewatching season one 15(?) years after I first watched it is weird because I was a college student back then and now I'm in my mid-30's, two years younger than Wendy was when she was on the show. Wendy was constantly saying Project Runway was her last chance and it's like, "Girl, you're 39, not 89." I think concepts of age have changed over time and being 40 isn't the same as it was 20, 30, 40 years ago (or maybe I just feel that way because I'm getting older), but I definitely don't feel like I couldn't change careers or become super successful just because I haven't accomplished that before age 40.

I remember watching this originally and now watching it again 15 years later. I am now just 2 years younger than Wendy Pepper. I don’t know why Wendy seemed so much older on the show. She just seemed much older than 40 year olds come of today.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 1
On 2/28/2019 at 7:05 AM, NowVoyager said:

Omg. Watching a 1st season re-run. The tee-vee says S1/Ep01--- but No Way! Right?! I feel so old! It's an Unconventional Materials Challenge. Kara Saun running around on the street looking for a model, because the fabulous Morgan was MIA. She showed up late hot mess crying ("my agency dropped me!") utter chaos in her wake, but still turned it out on the runway.

Austin Scarlett, Daniel Franco out (whaat?!?), Wendy Pepper, Jay McCaroll taking cigarette breaks. (Ep02-- swathed in fur: "I didn't take the bitch's dye!") Parson's. Cut-throat model selections. Heidi & Tim look so young, how old does that make me? Lol. Good times.

Watching the rebroadcast of Season One was incredible.  I wasn't watching the show back then and could not believe how wild, wild west everything seemed -- and really highlighted how much production buttoned things up subsequently.  It's amazing the designers were able to keep up with all of the partying they were doing that season.

I think the cherry on the sundae for me was the swimsuit/outfit for attending a fashion industry event.  They sent models, some not even 18 years old, out to a bar specifically on a mission to chat up a middle aged man dressed in a three-piece suit while models stood there in string bikinis that didn't cover top, bottom or sides of their breasts, left their behinds hanging out -- and in one case specifically allowed the model to attend in her own thong underwear as opposed to the thong the designer created .  It was so cringey to watch them stand there and attempt to get his attention as part of the challenge -- while he ogled them.  Ugh!   

Overall the creativity on that season blows away current seasons -- but also highlights the benefits of more time in the workroom for the designers, and more time to create their finale collections.  5 months! 

• Love 3

On this week's episode of American Beauty Star, the makeup artists were each given three outfits from a specific designer and a video message from the designer about the hair and makeup they wanted for their mini collection. Michael Costello was one of the designers!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I have Bravo on today and they are running a marathon before the new show tonight (squee!). I'd forgotten just how annoying Kenley’s voice is.

Fixed that! 😁

Edited by chitowngirl
  • LOL 7
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I have Bravo on today and they are running a marathon before the new show tonight (squee!). I'd forgotten just how annoying Kenley's voice is.

And they may want to do some editing of the final episode for future airings, since sitting in the front row is Harvey Weinstein and he appears on screen during Kenley's runway show, albeit briefly.

• Love 2
On 3/14/2019 at 6:45 PM, chitowngirl said:

I hate when Kenley argues with the judges. When Santino would do it, he was defending his creation. When Kelley does it, I get a “everyone’s picking on me!! Why doesn’t anyone like me?!” vibe.

I was watching that the other day and Kenley annoyed me so much I had to turn it off.  At the time, I could put up with it once a week; marathoning it? No!

• Love 3
On 3/12/2017 at 3:10 AM, Love2dance said:

?Lifelong teacher here.

You must not be an English teacher. 🙂

I know this is responding to an old post, but you questioned the phrase, “Those who can, do. Those who can’t, teach.” This is from a drama by George Bernard Shaw. I think it’s called “Man and Superman.” The sentiment may also be from another writing of his but I’m not sure. 

On 3/11/2019 at 2:38 PM, MerBearStare said:

I was watching Finding your Roots a few episodes ago, and Felicity Huffman (har) or Laura Linney (one of those actresses who look like an Afghan Hound) was shown a picture of a 3x great grandmother. She looked like she was pushing 90. She was 67.

• Love 2

Is season one available anywhere? You tube maybe? I missed it when Bravo re-ran it recently, and I'd love to see it again. Austin Scarlett is one of my top 5 PR designers ever. Austin, Laura Bennett, Kelly from the Deli, Korto Mormulu, Jillian Lewis. Not that you asked!

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Is season one available anywhere? You tube maybe? I missed it when Bravo re-ran it recently, and I'd love to see it again. Austin Scarlett is one of my top 5 PR designers ever. Austin, Laura Bennett, Kelly from the Deli, Korto Mormulu, Jillian Lewis. Not that you asked!

I share an affinity for most of them as well.  Recorded the recent rebroadcast of Korto's season and have been very surprised at how I'm finding her rather arrogant and a bit of a sulking pouter on rewatch.  I remembering really liking her when the season originally aired, not so much on rewatch.

I loved Korto's work--I recall that she was not a "pet" and was a bit peevish about it. I still like her though. I also am one of the 6 people in the world who loved Santino, and couldn't stand fan faves Nick Verreos and Daniel Vosovic, though. Other faves are Christian, of course, and Chris March from season 4, Fabio Costa from season 10, and Emilio Sosa from season 7 (another outlier!)

• Love 3

I liked Santino much better on rewatch, but that's probably due to the benefit of having seen his show with Austin Scarlett after his original season aired.  I also originally though C. Siriano was a bit of a brat, but I've definitely warmed up to him since and he seems lovely on the new season.  I, too, liked Korto much more on first watch, but I couldn't tell you why.  I always found Daniel V's clothes kind of boring and didn't get the love.

Highly unpopular opinion:  I can't stand Laura Bennett.  She always came of as entitled to me.  I started the recent marathon of her season, but after an episode or two of watching her and Jeffrey, I deleted the rest of the episodes.  I did hang in long enough to hear the blonde girl (?) comment "Good thing you wore your riding clothes, in case it's horses" in regards to Laura as they were on their way to an offsite challenge.

I love the dramatic and tend to appreciate "costume" adjacent fashion, so I love both Austin and Chris March. 

It's really been a treat watching these old seasons!  I hope to see more of them soon! 

Edited by leocadia
  • Love 1

Is any one else surprised that besides Christian, none of the contestants have become names in fashion, particularly from the original Bravo seasons? I remember being stunned by the genius of Jay’s season 1 collection and was sure he was going to take the fashion world by storm.

• Love 2

I still consider Jay's finale collection the gold standard. Our Jay was always a bit of a rebel. My opinion, direct from pulledoutofmyass.com is that he wants to do his own thing, unconfined by the strictures of Big Fashion. He did sell some stuff on QVC for awhile. 

And Austin Scarlett is a respected wedding dress designer these days. Michael Costello is pretty well known for his high end gowns. Dmitry apparently teaches at Parsons! 

yeah, other than that I got nothing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I can only imagine how difficult it would be to become a Karl Lagerfeld, Tom Ford, Vera Wang, etc.  I suspect that timing and accidental fortune plays a big role.  I've been wrong like 8 times already today, so...

Maybe some of them hook up with somebody with lots of money to help them along!

It has to be a really competitive business with soooo many designers!

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Maybe some of them hook up with somebody with lots of money to help them along!

It has to be a really competitive business with soooo many designers!

Yeah, I'd imagine contacts are as much a critical factor as talent. Just started reading Bad Blood about Elizabeth Holmes, and if she hadn't had the connections through family and other associations, she'd have never gotten anywhere.

• Love 3

I was just thinking of Austin Scarlett. Google says he's 36 and I was like, that can't be right. Then I looked it up and he was apparently just 22 in Season 1. At that age, all adults looked old but that's wild to me. Everyone always makes a big deal about Christian being so talented so young and I do love him but Austin was incredible and I feel like he doesn't get enough attention. 

I forgot about all my favorites... Austin, Rami, Dmitry, Chris March, etc. Season 14 was the last one I watched and it was on and off. The show had been declining. But thinking of those old favorites makes me want to jump back in... or at least find somewhere to watch All Stars.

Anyway, anyone know what Austin's up to? I can't find anything since his last bridal collection in 2017. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Season 17 reignited my passion for Project Runway. I loved so many of the designers like Sebastian, Bishme, Afa and sweet Venny.

I was looking at Venny's instagram and he designed a gown for Niecy Nash for his Levenity label.

I love the color and think she looks amazing. I'm happy he stepped away from the feathers. 😁

68816024_962286740790612_665956576467154

He's such a great guy. I hope he continues to grow his business.

Edited by charming
  • Love 7
On 8/22/2019 at 6:22 PM, charming said:

Season 17 reignited my passion for Project Runway. I loved so many of the designers like Sebastian, Bishme, Afa and sweet Venny.

I was looking at Venny's instagram and he designed a gown for Niecy Nash for his Levenity label.

I love the color and think she looks amazing. I'm happy he stepped away from the feathers. 😁

68816024_962286740790612_665956576467154

He's such a great guy. I hope he continues to grow his business.

I'll be Meana here: I question his taste level. The print and fabric are great, the design overall is cool (love the sleeves and the bottom "ruffle"), but all I see at first glance are boobs and way too much upper upper thigh.

Niecy does look fabulous and the colors and overall cut are so flattering. The problem for me is that I think the focus is taken away from her beautiful face and the overall look.

A little restraint with the plunge of the neckline, or a less aggressive pushup bra, plus moving the top of the skirt's slit down just a few inches, would make a big difference. As a practical matter, with that slit, it would be difficult to impossible to sit down without sharing everything with the world.

Clothes aren't just made for standing and posing. Or in the fashion world, maybe they are.

ETA: I'm a gal with "generous" upper arms, and the sleeves on this dress are a dream come true. 

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 6
On 8/30/2019 at 8:44 AM, Ashforth said:

A little restraint with the plunge of the neckline, or a less aggressive pushup bra, plus moving the top of the skirt's slit down just a few inches, would make a big difference.

Boobs or legs, darlings. Never both.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

He was one of my all time favorites, too. The sense of humor, the go for broke spirit, the patience and affection he showed the other contestants. I’m glad he got some mainstream success in his short life. He made Meryl Streep look more elegant and beautiful than she ever did before.

I’ll never forget the moment in All Stars when, upon being aufed he was assured by one of the judges that he was a very talented designer.

”I know, “ he said with quiet confidence.

And we did too.

• Love 15

Chris wasn't in a medically induced coma for two years; he was placed in one for a period of time about two years ago after he fell and suffered a critical head injury. After that, he apparently had a very difficult time trying to recover, but he wasn't comatose for two years. In fact, reports are that he was still designing up to the end.

One of the things I'll never forget is that he made garments that incorporated human hair for his shot at getting to Bryant Park in S4 of PR. It was definitely a bold statement, and kind of gross, but his creations were amazing. He always seemed like a thoughtful, funny, brilliant guy who wasn't afraid to go outside the norm.

If you watch this video starting at about the 29 minute mark, you'll see his mini-runway. Oh, how young Chris, Heidi, Tim and Nina look! Kors, well I think he's forever untouched by time, LOL.

Seeing video from these old seasons reminds me of why I loved PR so much.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 10