Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

(edited)
6 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Jill really has not been relying too much on churning out content for her SM or Youtube in the last couple of years.  Ever since Derick started really getting into law school, their focus has shifted.  Jill posts on Instagram at the same frequency as any other mother in her age bracket.  It's been a long time since she was shilling a product.  Her sisters are the ones doing that now.  Jill has also backed off of the questionable recipes.  Something has changed in the Dillards household.  I can very easily see Jill entering the workforce once Sam is in Kindergarten or going back to school.  

No problem we can agree to disagree. Their youtube channel is hopping. And when their videos include content like ----Derick:  "Izzy, do you know how you got in Mommy's tummy? Mommy and Daddy had a date and then you were in the tummy." Then Derrick proceeds to boast about having "4 dates in one day." Cool dad. 

8 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

They should realize that, hey, they're just regular people. Like everybody else.

They're not some super-ooper-dooper special breed -- best beloved of God who "do things a little different" and therefore don't need educations or jobs or connections or cooperation with a broader community but can live off the sweet money-manna that falls from celebrity heaven and Daddy's big fat inexhaustible wallet.

And, having realized that, they can start developing a little damn sense and look for regular jobs, figure out how to develop job skills, practice super frugality at this moment including putting a temporary halt to the baby train, start making connections with more people in their communities, and start getting their children educated in a more useful way. 

In other words, they should do what other people all have to do. Because nobody deserves a tv show -- especially people who have no discernible talents or skills that make them tv-show worthy -- just because they've always had one. And nobody can be sure that Daddy's wallet really is inexhaustible. 

Eventually, this day was gonna come. No matter what. And even if they dodge this particular bullet, this day is gonna come eventually. 

The sooner they realize that, and stop imagining that they're so very special-ecial and extra-extra-deserving and start preparing themselves -- and their children -- for that day, the better off they'll all be in the end.  

Painful and difficult as they may find it in the doing. 

Unfortunately, they'll get no help from their parents in this. And that is a problem not everybody has to face. But that may be the thing that finally teaches them that the whole supposedly foolproof system their parents have told them to live by was a crock....all along. 

Agree, but it's hard to "realize" that when you're entire existence and upbringing says otherwise.

Edited by Tuxcat
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

I know but the OP had said Duggar women aren't allowed to work outside the home. I didn't think that was a rule. Although of course, they don't work - they have babies. But still.

In Gothardland it is a rule, unfortunately. And despite the molester unchained and rampant liar and grifter of theirs and others' money that Gothard himself is, JB and M still firmly embrace Gothardism, apparently. And Gothardism is (stupid, insane) rules rules rules, including this one. 

• Love 2

It will be very interesting to see what jobs the adult Duggars eventually find.  I suspect there will be a canyon-sized gap between the jobs they think they deserve and the jobs they're actually qualified for.  They might have to lower their standards - instead of, say, "working" at questionable used car lots and flipping houses for their own use, they stock grocery shelves or deliver pizza or take a cleaning job at a hospital - legit hard work for a legit paycheck.

• Love 19
Just now, Churchhoney said:

In Gothardland it is a rule, unfortunately. And despite the molester unchained and rampant liar and grifter of theirs and others' money that Gothard himself is, JB and M still firmly embrace Gothardism, apparently. And Gothardism is (stupid, insane) rules rules rules, including this one. 

Definitely seems like the rule and the pattern. I'm just confused about how they "let Jill" go out and pursue the midwife thing - since that was before her liberation?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Tuxcat said:

Definitely seems like the rule and the pattern. I'm just confused about how they "let Jill" go out and pursue the midwife thing - since that was before her liberation?

There are still ways for a woman to earn money in Gothardism.  Being a midwife is one of them.  The women are supposed to be pumping out babies for Jesus and that requires assistance.  A like-minded midwife is a necessity for them.  No way one of their women can see a male OB/GYN, and they cannot have a secular woman spending time with their women.  Who knows what ideas may be put into her head.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

Agree, but it's hard to "realize" that when you're entire existence and upbringing says otherwise.

I completely agree with you. I've been one who's stressed here and over again how very hard it is. Much harder than anybody who hasn't experienced something similar may think.

BUT...that doesn't mean it isn't an absolute necessity for them, sooner or later. And perhaps today. 

And it's terrifying that they've had wakeup calls before and they've ignored them. And that's just not acceptable.

Especially now -- when they can look at their children...and, if their brains are operating at all, ask themselves: "Hey, in 20 years, will the kids have a tv show with a paycheck, whose fame allows them to make additional money too on social media...And will be a Daddy Duggar with an inexhaustible wallet from which I can dole out food and utility money to them?" 

The answer to those questions is so clearly NO!!! And the children are in front of them right now. So they can see it if they open their eyes just a little bit.....

And surely seeing the mess that's now coming down on them because of the Josh issues should wake them up at least a little bit to the notion that "Oh, could godly mama and godly daddy and godly Bill Gothard have been slightly wrong about some things???" I mean, if they don't vaguely glimpse that now, I don't know what help there is for them in any case. 

People can say all they want that for humanitarian purposes they oughta be allowed to continue having a tv show. But that's obviously not how the world generally works. And if we're choosing worthy humanitarian causes, are they really anywhere near the top of the list? 

It's because I know how hard this is that I so badly want them to fucking wake up and wake up now. Before it's too late to materially change things even for their children! 

When I'm yelling here I'm yelling at them. I hope there's somebody in real life for whom they at least have some shred of respect who's yelling the same stuff at them that we all are right now......But unfortunately that may not be the case. 

• Love 23
(edited)
46 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

Well, I'm not sure she was getting paid, for one thing, although she may have been. It may well have just been pure helping out other faithful mamas thing, which we know is okay for them because we've all seen sister moms. 

I think what she was doing may be on the far, fading edge of acceptability, not quite into the "verboten" category. Because she only went into environments where there were probably no men even present at the event. And because everybody she worked with was a super-cuckoo-fundie just like them. So she wasn't going to be contaminated. And she wasn't taking a job away from a fundie man, and she certainly wasn't going to be any position where she might have given orders to a man.

So there was no danger she was going to be exposed to any other kinds of ideas and actually do the non-woman things that they hate. 

And, of course, this is a job that they do not want men doing. And they also generally don't want outsiders who may have different beliefs involved in their family lives either. So having women of the cult doing this is pretty much the only option. 

And then what she was really doing was observing childbirth -- and as you see they've used that supposed skill she developed (only not -- because she was 'learning" it from crazy people who didn't know anything, even though Jill didn't realize that) to help out the other women in their family. So it was a learning situation in which she brought home skills that they needed and they probably figured they could keep her busy with in later years -- with so much Duggar bithin to do -- so that she'd never go outside their homes after a while. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4
10 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

When I'm yelling here I'm yelling at them. I hope there's somebody in real life for whom they at least have some shred of respect who's yelling the same stuff at them that we all are right now......But unfortunately that may not be the case.

Agree.

5 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

And then what she was really doing was observing childbirth -

When still a dagger, she did say she was training to be become a professional midwife (it was Jana who was just doing the helper thing). She eventually did complete her certification (when she was married to Derick) (and that is certifiying professional midwife, but not nurse midwife which is the more reputable of the two credentials). but by that time she had the kids. 

I tend to agree that this particular job is probably okay in the gothard world because they are bringing in more babies.

• Love 4
(edited)

Jill completed the minimum to get the lay midwife certificate, but she never completed getting a state license.  She was a student midwife so would not have been paid.  Yes, fathers were present at the births.  Several were filmed for the show or shown on Venessa Giron's facebook page.  

She did begin studying to fulfill the SBC requirements for a missionary wife, but that dropped very quickly.  

As far as working, the Bates daughters and at least one daughter-in-law are operating their own clothing business.  Eventually they plan to have a store front. 

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 10
1 minute ago, Absolom said:

Jill completed the minimum to get the lay midwife certificate, but she never completed getting a state license.  She was a student midwife so would not have been paid.  Yes, fathers were present at the births.  Several were filmed for the show or shown on Venessa Giron's facebook page.  

She did begin studying to fulfill the SBC requirements for a missionary wife, but that dropped very quickly.  

As far as working, the Bates daughters and at least one daughter-in-law are operating their own clothing business.  Eventually they plan to have a store front. 

Gothard has always been ok with wives working from home at their own businesses to augment the family income.  There are a lot of them with Etsy stores or other online operations to make some extra dough.  He mainly railed against women working outside the home away from her husband's control.

And, yeah, Jill never even got to the point where she had a state license as a direct-entry midwife, so she was hardly prepared for an actual career.  Even if she and Derick had stayed in the fold, I don't think she would've worked outside the family and close Gothard contacts.  She also, being unlicensed, wouldn't be able to charge for her services or accept payment.  Not that that would've stopped her if Derick or JB wanted her to collect.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, FizzyPuff said:

I haven’t seen this show was this character as arrogant as the real Josh? 

I haven't seen it either. But probably not. They'd've accused him of overacting. 

• LOL 9

Josh's court case is slated for July. Of course if he's out on bail his lawyers could request postponements to drag it out. It seems at this point the timing couldn't be worse for TLC. I think the last season of Counting On started in July of last year and I'm assuming that's the plan for this year.

So far they've distanced themselves from Josh, but if the trial is in full swing it might get messy.

Does anyone have any idea how long the trial may take? Even if the trial only lasts a week, they'll be a couple of days of prepublicity and a week or two of post publicity depending on the verdict.

If Counting On really is a money maker, TLC must be kicking themselves in the ass for allowing JB & M back on the show.

• Love 4

Can somebody post whether Josh is released or not, here in this thread. And what his conditions are if he is released? I can't handle re-reading the absolutely awful charges over and over again.

Thanks in advance!

• Love 9

Providing they knew the arrest was imminant, I wonder if Boob and JShell flew to TLC headquarters to negotiate their contract and how to handle this.  Like, let's do an uber-Christian-centered episode and then lay low for a while until it all blows over/Pest is declared innocent......  Just a thought

• Useful 5
(edited)

One thing people keep talking about is how he's kind of gotten away with something by being allowed to live with the Rebers.  But I wonder - is their house as isolated as the Duggar compound?  For some reason I got the impression it isn't.  Add to that this means the media will have much easier access to watching every move that is made by people coming and going from that house.  Even if the feds aren't watching him (and I'm sure they are) the members of the media must be salivating at the chance to be the one who catches Josh making a McDonalds run, let alone making a run for it period.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 4
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, WinnieWinkle said:

One thing people keep talking about is how he's kind of gotten away with something by being allowed to live with the Rebers.  But I wonder - is their house as isolated as the Duggar compound?  For some reason I got the impression it isn't.  Add to that this means the media will have much easier access to watching every move that is made by people coming and going from that house.  Even if the feds aren't watching him (and I'm sure they are) the members of the media must be salivating at the chance to be the one who catches Josh making a McDonalds run, let alone making a run for it period.

I got the impression that the Rebers have some acerage, so they may be a bit isolated. I think Smuggar is going to lose some weight. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

I got the impression that the Rebers have some acerage, so they may be a bit isolated. I think Smuggar is going to lose some weight. 

The picture of it shows it is set pretty far back. It was cropped so close it was hard to tell how close any neighbors may be.

15 hours ago, WinnieWinkle said:

But I wonder - is their house as isolated as the Duggar compound? 

It’s not. The house is in an area with many businesses. The lot is 0.24 acres. An example of that (not knowing the shape of that lot) could be a lot size of 85 x 121.

• Useful 3
(edited)
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

It’s not. The house is in an area with many businesses. The lot is 0.24 acres. An example of that (not knowing the shape of that lot) could be a lot size of 85 x 121.

That's interesting! I looked at their property records since I didn't have enough info for voter. I'd read on the reddit summary that the wife said they lived on about 10 acres, so I'd assumed the Goshen house was where they lived since it was the only property of that size, especially since they also had a Goshen PO box. 

Is this other house in actual Springdale or Fayetteville?

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Zella said:

That's interesting! I looked at their property records since I didn't have enough info for voter. I'd read on the reddit summary that the wife said they lived on about 10 acres, so I'd assumed the Goshen house was where they lived since it was the only property of that size, especially since they also had a Goshen PO box. 

Is this other house in actual Springdale or Fayetteville?

This has me soooooo curious. I don't think they live at the current address shown in Fayetteville, as the house is a tiny ranch and looks nothing like the picture of the home that was published in an article.

If they do live in Goshen, when did they move? And who did they buy the house from? Like was this moved planned? With the help of JB?

It seems they've lived in quite a few houses since they moved from the WA area 15 years ago.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

This has me soooooo curious. I don't think they live at the current address shown in Fayetteville, as the house is a tiny ranch and looks nothing like the picture of the home that was published in an article.

If they do live in Goshen, when did they move? And who did they buy the house from? Like was this moved planned? With the help of JB?

It seems they've lived in quite a few houses since they moved from the WA area 15 years ago.

The Goshen house was purchased by them in 2005, so that tracks. The other property they owned was purchased more recently, like 2018 and 2020, I think. I can sleuth more when I'm on my laptop! 

• Useful 4
2 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Fayetteville.

Thanks! I was poking around the real estate records, and it looks like they have an Elkins property, a Fayetteville property, and a Goshen property. The Goshen property is the most sizeable (both building size and acreage-wise. 

I wish I had a birthdate for one of them, so I could check to see where they are actually registered to vote on the state's website. Not that that has always helped with the Duggars since they don't always live where they are registered. LOL

• Love 1

I was able to access their voter registration records on the state website, and they are registered at the Goshen address. It has an Elkins zipcode, but the actual location is nowhere near Elkins, but I think that may be the source of some of the confusion. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

I was able to access their voter registration records on the state website, and they are registered at the Goshen address. It has an Elkins zipcode, but the actual location is nowhere near Elkins, but I think that may be the source of some of the confusion. 

Is that the large house on a large lot? 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Zella said:

I was poking around the real estate records, and it looks like they have an Elkins property, a Fayetteville property, and a Goshen property. T

Man do I live in the wrong place!  How does a family on one income (presumably not affluent people)  afford 3 properties?  

• Love 10
Just now, WinnieWinkle said:

Man do I live in the wrong place!  How does a family on one income (presumably not affluent people)  afford 3 properties?  

No kidding. I live in a place where it usually takes 2 incomes for 1 property. 

• Love 11