Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

Out of that group,  in my opinion,  only Abbie could get good, gainful employment.  Maybe JD. The others? Not so much, and I'm pretty sure they'd think themselves above "menial" employment,  even though that's more than likely all they'd be qualified for.

• Love 23
1 hour ago, Tuxcat said:

Oh yes absolutely. I didnt mean Derick directly. He doesn't have as much power as he thinks. My point is that stuff is thrown at them from every direction and of course Jessa was a a victim too - whether she believes it or not. I just hope they find a way to raise those 4 kids.  

Jessa has been one of the most smug and arrogant of the bunch. I don’t feel any worse for her than I do for any of the others.

• Love 11
(edited)
On 5/1/2021 at 2:11 PM, Tuxcat said:

Thank you! Very interesting. I had no idea as my experience is watching Law and Order SVU. LOL.

LoL, me too! Who do you think would play Josh, JB and Michelle if Law and Order SVU did a show about this? Love, love that show.

Edited by mittsigirl
spelling
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, mittsigirl said:

LoL, me too! Who do you think would play Josh, JB and Michelle if Law and Order SVU did a show about this? Love, love that show.

They did an episode loosely inspired by the Duggars! "Patrimonial Burden."

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, mittsigirl said:

91F753C1-17F0-41EC-9B2E-1367E77D607C.jpeg

1034A9EA-5365-4A8C-B2A3-525B419DADFF.jpeg

7A0658B8-81D1-4471-98FE-0EFEC1C9A8E7.jpeg

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
Just now, Oldernowiser said:

The Duggars never looked half that good on their best day ever.

Those people clearly do not subsist on a diet of tater tot casserole and BBQ tuna. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, Zella said:

I wondered about that while watching that episode, would like to see it again.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

What should they do? What most American parents do. Get jobs to support their kids

They were raised by parents who failed to offer them the chance to learn skills or further their education. Kendra with three kids under 3, and Jessa with 4 young kids, are both married to husbands who have little to offer.

Not any of those 4 adults are able to walk right out and earn enough to support such young families right off the bat.

Sure life isn't easy. But its not entirely  their fault that they are in this situation. Their counsel is JB.

32 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

They should ALL have been thinking of what would happen when the show ended. This is not on Derrick, imo. I don’t feel sorry for them for having to support their kids without exploiting them. Their kids deserve better

Not saying its on Derrick at all (who incidentally also exploits his kids <youtube, instragram>  and gains attention and followers by exploiting his in law grievances). Just saying that he seems like a hypocrite to call for an end to jill's sbling's current mode of support -- .

6 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

This was their ‘Josh’ character!

D5D4FC63-C6EB-4BF0-B327-F437D474BDFC.jpeg

LOL, I definitely remember this one!

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

The Duggars never looked half that good on their best day ever.

Duggar’s don’t shower daily. Showers and well fitting clothes help. And obviously a decent diet helps. 

• Love 5

If the finances dry up and the show is cancelled, is JB going to find ways to support all the kids he's been supporting? Maybe take out loans (gasp!)? Help them get financial aid for tech school or community college (real education)? Would any of them take government assistance to help feed their young kids? I'd like to see where their morals and religion and politics go when reality hits them and they're all back to poverty (except for Derrick, who has actual education). 

I would like to see in a few years after the end of Counting On (whenever that may be) a follow-up where Jill and any others who broke out (knock on wood) will share what really happened during their upbringing, if they want to share. None of the money goes to JB and Michelle; each Duggar who is on the show gets their own check. It's the least TLC can do after their parents sold out their kids' lives and childhood for fame and worldly materials. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Trillium said:

Banking on never having to get an actual job was never a smart play and now it’s biting them in the ass and I do not feel the least bit sorry for them. None of them are incapable of working. Yeah it’s going to be low skilled, low paying jobs, but again don’t feel badly for them. Maybe they’ll realize for their kids a real education is a necessity because being an influencer doesn’t pay for the lattes.  

YES!!! Fuck them all (except Jill) and the Bible they rode in on. I won’t lose a wink of sleep over any one of those kids losing their lifestyles, welcome to the real world!

• Love 13
22 minutes ago, NotthebadVictoria said:

YES!!! Fuck them all (except Jill) and the Bible they rode in on. I won’t lose a wink of sleep over any one of those kids losing their lifestyles, welcome to the real world!

Maybe some of them can join the military, since they seem to fetishize it so much. They can pull themselves up by their bootstraps, EXACTLY as they preach others should.

• LOL 9
  • Love 14

I think that part of the reason to encourage them to marry young and start the baby train asap is to get them into this situation. Maybe you start to grow up a bit, and get a little itch that maybe being under your father's thumb for the rest of your life isn't what you really want,  but you're 26 years old with 6 kids and no skills, and no friends outside of the cult. You don't have the life skills to go out and find a job and a place to live -- and you have a wife who doesn't work, and 6 kids. You're pretty stuck.

• LOL 1
  • Love 11
6 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Maybe some of them can join the military, since they seem to fetishize it so much. They can pull themselves up by their bootstraps, EXACTLY as they preach others should.

And I'm Beyonce. 😂

• Useful 1
  • LOL 14
  • Love 3

It's important to remember that even though Abbie has a nursing degree she CAN'T get a job according to the Duggar beliefs. Women can't work outside the home. SO getting a job for the females is a non-starter.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

None of them will ever join the military. They fetishize guns, and insist that they are uber-patriots, and are involved in that psuedo-military ALERT organization, but I don't think that any of the Gothardites have ever joined the military (maybe someone knows of a Wisdom booklet that explains this?).

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

It's important to remember that even though Abbie has a nursing degree she CAN'T get a job according to the Duggar beliefs. Women can't work outside the home. SO getting a job for the females is a non-starter.

I thought Jill was working as a midwife type assistant (albeit uncertified)? That was when she was still a Duggar.

• Love 3
Just now, Tuxcat said:

I thought Jill was working as a midwife type assistant (albeit uncertified)? That was when she was still a Duggar.

Remember that was before she was married, and before she was a mother. Derick has to push her to finish her certification, because it was clear that once she popped out a baby, her plan was to rest on the glory of her motherhood for life.

Given all the changes she's gone through in the past couple of years, I could actually see Jill getting a part time job once Sam is in school.

• Love 10
Just now, cmr2014 said:

Remember that was before she was married, and before she was a mother. Derick has to push her to finish her certification, because it was clear that once she popped out a baby, her plan was to rest on the glory of her motherhood for life.

Given all the changes she's gone through in the past couple of years, I could actually see Jill getting a part time job once Sam is in school.

I know but the OP had said Duggar women aren't allowed to work outside the home. I didn't think that was a rule. Although of course, they don't work - they have babies. But still.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, cmr2014 said:

None of them will ever join the military. They fetishize guns, and insist that they are uber-patriots, and are involved in that psuedo-military ALERT organization, but I don't think that any of the Gothardites have ever joined the military (maybe someone knows of a Wisdom booklet that explains this?).

Looks around to make sure no one can hear, leans in, whispers…”they might have to take orders from a woman!!!!!!”

Or a heathen or someone of another faith or creed or race. Or someone who doesn’t understand how SUPER SPECIAL they are!!! The horror…

That and there are those pesky things like waking up on time, being accountable, working hard, and learning skills. Not going to happen.

• Love 16
Just now, cmr2014 said:

I could actually see Jill getting a part time job once Sam is in school.

I'm not an Amy fan, but I think a part-time job at Amy's store would probably be the best gateway drug into employment for Jill if both of them were interested/agreeable to that. Not modeling clothes on social media but actually having shifts you have to show up for. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 17
7 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

Then they can pull themselves up by their bootstraps some other way. They have literally preached this about other people for years. At least they have boots to start with, unlike many.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Zella said:

I'm not an Amy fan, but I think a part-time job at Amy's store would probably be the best gateway drug into employment for Jill if both of them were interested/agreeable to that. Not modeling clothes on social media but actually having shifts you have to show up for. 

That's actually the exact part-time job I was envisioning. That assumes, of course, that there will still be a shop in a few years.

• Love 5

I seriously doubt Derick will want Jill to work outside the home. Who would take care of the youtube channel and the 2 million social media followers? He wouldn't want to give that up.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

She might be able to do some clerical work if Derick works in a smaller law firm. 

I am not sure Jill would be ready for work at a law firm of any size in any capacity as a first job. I truly don't mean that rudely, but I think something lower stakes would probably be a better fit for starters. 

• Love 9

I remember speculation back in the day about how much they got per episode.  The range was 10k to 25k per episode, and at the height of the show’s popularity, there were over 30 episodes per year. So at most 750k before taxes, but I am guessing it was closer to the lower end.  That was for the original family plus Anna and a couple of M kids.

Last year there were only 11 episodes of Counting On, and the family has grown to include 9 more spouses and 20 grandchildren.  Even if you remove Jill, Jinger, and Joy’s families you are talking almost double the mouths to feed and a third of the income.  The money from the show may pay for some extras but it is not their main source of income.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I remember speculation back in the day about how much they got per episode.  The range was 10k to 25k per episode, and at the height of the show’s popularity, there were over 30 episodes per year. So at most 750k before taxes, but I am guessing it was closer to the lower end.  That was for the original family plus Anna and a couple of M kids.

Last year there were only 11 episodes of Counting On, and the family has grown to include 9 more spouses and 20 grandchildren.  Even if you remove Jill, Jinger, and Joy’s families you are talking almost double the mouths to feed and a third of the income.  The money from the show may pay for some extras but it is not their main source of income.

Admittedly, it's been a while since I poked around looking at property records for these folks, but Jim Bob (as of early 2020) did own several commercial properties that were being used by other businesses that I am pretty sure had no other Duggar ties. I think one was a Hertz car rental place and the other was a doughnut place. 

In any event, I do suspect he gets some rent out of those properties on the regular in addition to show income, but I'd be surprised if it is enough to support all of them. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Agreed. But for the adult kids, as long as it stays on air - it keeps them relevant. You need the exposure and the press to build and hold the followings, so that your social media and youtube income can continue. Jessa and Jill both have 2 million followers. Ginger and Joy over a million. All the others are at least mid level with the capability of monetizing the brand.  Jill has a solid way to stay relevant and keep building as she is the anti-duggar. But the rest, don't have any such path (maybe- yet??).

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

Agreed. But for the adult kids, as long as it stays on air - it keeps them relevant. You need the exposure and the press to build and hold the followings, so that your social media and youtube income can continue. Jessa and Jill both have 2 million followers. Ginger and Joy over a million. All the others are at least mid level with the capability of monetizing the brand.  Jill has a solid way to stay relevant and keep building as she is the anti-duggar. But the rest, don't have any such path (maybe- yet??).

They all (including Jill) need to stop exploiting their kids for money. If they can stay “relevant” without doing that then more power to them.

their “headships” are supposed to be providing, though. Tv and SM won’t help them gain useable skills. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 18
(edited)
6 hours ago, Zella said:

I love that one!  Olivia’s baffled expressions at all the patriarchy crack me up. 

6 hours ago, mittsigirl said:

So this episode was about them? I would like to see it again now!

It’s streaming on Peacock & Hulu if you have access. Season 17, episode 7. Patriarchal Burden. It’s enough of the Duggars so you see where they got the basis for the episode, but different enough so the Duggars couldn’t sue. LOL. 

Edited by Tdoc72
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
34 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I'm sure that if the show gets canceled Boob is going to stop doling out 'his' money to the kids. Boob loves money. 

Boob will always find work for his worker bees sons.  They will flip houses and do grunt work so JB can sell them for profits!

Lining his pockets with gold!

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

I seriously doubt Derick will want Jill to work outside the home. Who would take care of the youtube channel and the 2 million social media followers? He wouldn't want to give that up.

Derick grew up in a home where his mom worked.   He would have zero issues with Jill getting a job outside of the home.  The Dillards YouTube has always read to me like a way  for Jill to still be filming something.   Jill did spend a good chunk of her adolescence with a camera crew in tow.  They don't post enough to make any money off of their channel.  

The 2 million Instagram followers dont need that much work.  Jill can use her Instagram like any other person and they will stick around and also still send her family stuff.  

• Love 8

4 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Derick grew up in a home where his mom worked.   He would have zero issues with Jill getting a job outside of the home. 

He grew up in a home where his mom worked, and yet he still found JB and his spiel so appealing that he married his uneducated daughter.

I actually don't have an opinion on how Derick would feel about Jill working a full time job, but having grown up with a working mom doesn't mean anything in light of his decisions as an adult.

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, lascuba said:

He grew up in a home where his mom worked, and yet he still found JB and his spiel so appealing that he married his uneducated daughter.

I actually don't have an opinion on how Derick would feel about Jill working a full time job, but having grown up with a working mom doesn't mean anything in light of his decisions as an adult.

JB's mom worked. And Michelle worked prior to marriage and during the first few years of their marriage.

Did Ethel Ruark work outside the home?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Derick grew up in a home where his mom worked.   He would have zero issues with Jill getting a job outside of the home.  The Dillards YouTube has always read to me like a way  for Jill to still be filming something.   Jill did spend a good chunk of her adolescence with a camera crew in tow.  They don't post enough to make any money off of their channel.  

The 2 million Instagram followers dont need that much work.  Jill can use her Instagram like any other person and they will stick around and also still send her family stuff.  

Derick's past comments include a lot of references to "women's work." He 100% buys into the traditional roles - the man rules the roost -  regardless of his mom working. I know he's doing a rebranding of himself but that is to stay in the limelight - his "values"
haven't changed. And managing social media is a full time job for true influencers.  So its a win win for him to keep her home and churning out those kid photos, sponsored ads, new recipes. Swipe up to the blog! Swipe up to the channel! 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

Derick's past comments include a lot of references to "women's work." He 100% buys into the traditional roles - the man rules the roost -  regardless of his mom working. I know he's doing a rebranding of himself but that is to stay in the limelight - his "values"
haven't changed. And managing social media is a full time job for true influencers.  So its a win win for him to keep her home and churning out those kid photos, sponsored ads, new recipes. Swipe up to the blog! Swipe up to the channel! 

Jill really has not been relying too much on churning out content for her SM or Youtube in the last couple of years.  Ever since Derick started really getting into law school, their focus has shifted.  Jill posts on Instagram at the same frequency as any other mother in her age bracket.  It's been a long time since she was shilling a product.  Her sisters are the ones doing that now.  Jill has also backed off of the questionable recipes.  Something has changed in the Dillards household.  I can very easily see Jill entering the workforce once Sam is in Kindergarten or going back to school.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 13