Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

54 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

The only thing missing from my market is paper towels. Otherwise, it's like the pandemic shortages never happened. It got back to normal fairly quickly here. 

The boy twins live together in a house in Springdale so Jed! can actually live in the district in which he is a candidate.

Just paper towels missing here, too. And Lysol sprays. Not sure what’s up with the damn paper towels.

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Just paper towels missing here, too. And Lysol sprays. Not sure what’s up with the damn paper towels.

I managed to get a case of Lysol from Office Depot online. Keep an eye out there. 

ETA:It was $60 for a case of 12 cans so I split it with my sisters.

Edited by Ijustwantsomechips
  • Love 3
57 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Haven't watched to show yet, just the clip of Jana's art class.

Everything is available around here, with the exception of disinfectant wipes - those are hit and miss.

I haven't seen antibacterial wipes since March here in the DC area. Everything else seems to be available now for the most part. Staples also has cleaning stuff too, such as shower cleaner. I had to order the stuff I like from there a couple months ago. 

Topic? Is the new episode going to be available online somewhere? Hulu or something?  I've only seen the previews for it. 

• Love 1

I watched the whole clip of the show. The crew was there and this was not filmed with their phones.  That stupid 'game' they all played through video family night was ridiculous. Of course, they had to include a Noah's ark question. Can't these people do anything without including the bible or religion and just have some fun? There is no reason to continually pit the children against each other to compete. They are not each other's best friend. That is baloney if you ask me. 

• Love 8
27 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I am thrilled that Anna is NOT in that photo.

No Joy either.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the in-laws are more prominent than the daughters. Why are Jessa, Jinger, and Jana relegated to the ends of the photo?

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

No Joy either.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the in-laws are more prominent than the daughters. Why are Jessa, Jinger, and Jana relegated to the ends of the photo?

Yes, and that seems like a weird decision from a marketing standpoint. In much the same way that I don't think viewers really care about the horde of indistinguishably bland boys, I don't think genuine fans of the family or show care about the in-laws as much as they do the daughters. 

Did Jessa pick out Abbie's dress? Why was that dress even a choice? The fabric, the print, the quality, the fit, the belt-like-thing.

The photo must have been taken a little while back because Jing has her short blonde hair.

I am about as far as one can get from being a fashion example, but Abbie's dress is going to give me nightmares.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 7/4/2020 at 1:17 PM, MsJamieDornan said:

oh wow. Lauren doesnt look good.

That dress looks like Fraulein Maria stitched it up from the old drapes.

Jessa looks like she's wearing a 1980's lampshade as a skirt.

The negative: That photo. Everything about it. Jana looks as exciting as a Saltine.

The postitive: Abbey's curls. I love real curls.

• LOL 3
  • Love 10

That background is terrible, and the picture is tragic. Did no one give them any instruction on what photographs well? I’ve done a couple of promotional video shoots for my company and each time I’ve been given a list of suggestions for clothes, jewelry, etc. 

• Love 11
(edited)
54 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

That background is terrible, and the picture is tragic. Did no one give them any instruction on what photographs well? I’ve done a couple of promotional video shoots for my company and each time I’ve been given a list of suggestions for clothes, jewelry, etc. 

Yes!  They look terrible.  Considering how often their picture is taken and how much media they do, there is no reason for them to look so awful.  All they needed was a color theme for the photo.  Everybody in a white shirt with a denim skirt or pants would've looked coordinated and cohesive.  And, considering the background is photoshopped in, the person who did the art direction for it must be color blind.

My employer takes photos of all practitioners for an online directory and we receive specific instructions about what to wear and how to get the most flattering photo.  

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Maybe TLC is out of effs to give about the Duggars and assigned the promo photo duty to the intern nobody else wanted for their project. Or to some guy they found on Craigslist. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 1

I think for photo shoots TLC would typically show up with a rack of clothes for them to pick from. Maybe they didn't this time, or maybe they weren't shot together and they're photo shopped in?

Although I just rechecked the photo and there does seem to be a theme of teal and salmon, at least for 4 out of the 6 of them.

• Love 1
On 7/2/2020 at 8:49 PM, DangerousMinds said:

Off topic:

Feel free to blame the paper towel shortage on Mr.Barb. Well at least ordering them on line at the beginning. He went wild & there seemed to be paper towels included in every Sam's Club or Amazon shipment we got (& he ordered.)  I think we've worked our way down to a normal range but for a while our dining room looked like a maze of paper goods.  (He also went wild buying cases of the cheap underpads I use underneath my leg wounds during dressing changes.  There was a good sale on them at Sam's way before Covid started so I do give him a pass on those. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 7

Jana did interview with US Weekly that was published on July 2, 2020. It was called Making the Most of Her Single. Michelle was there, but isn't quoted or anything. It was mostly filler and possibly an ad for Jana. Definitely an ad for Counting On.

It proves Us Weekly will pay the Duggars for almost anything. If there is no courtship or pregnancy, the next article could be about the garden or TTH lawn growing. 

• LOL 7
4 hours ago, Temperance said:

Jana did interview with US Weekly that was published on July 2, 2020. It was called Making the Most of Her Single. Michelle was there, but isn't quoted or anything. It was mostly filler and possibly an ad for Jana. Definitely an ad for Counting On.

It proves Us Weekly will pay the Duggars for almost anything. If there is no courtship or pregnancy, the next article could be about the garden or TTH lawn growing. 

What a ridiculous headline in 2020, even for an article about a Duggar. Shame on Us Weekly.

• Love 11
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

What a ridiculous headline in 2020, even for an article about a Duggar. Shame on Us Weekly.

I only quoted a portion the full headline is:

Jana Duggar Longs to Be Married But Is ‘Making the Most’ of Her Single Years: ‘I’m Not That Worried’

I posted the full article in the lonely J thread. It's on page 311 of the lonely Js. Or you can read on the Us Weekly website. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, SMama said:

I wonder why Michelle had to be there. Isn’t Jana 30?

Accountability partner?

And now all the other females (and almost all the males) among the older half of Duggarlings are married and, sort of, gone, and thus above and beyond fulfilling such a workaday chore for an inferior being  old spinster?" 

• Love 2
On 7/2/2020 at 4:53 PM, madpsych78 said:

I watched the special. It's basically COVID-19 stuff. 

I did LOL at Ben calling Jessa a "ninja" when she had her mask on. Also, I noticed that while Ben was wearing his wedding ring, Jessa was not wearing a ring. I'm also not surprised at all that Jessa was the one who drove the family to Wal-Mart.

Evidently, Ben is the homeschool teacher for the Duggar kids. He also looks like he has aged a lot!

Oh, and hey, Ben is apparently in school himself. 

I was actually impressed with Jenni's artwork! But the Jana/Josie interaction...ughhhhhh

I see that you didn't include "talking viruses" in your #sayingsofSpurgeon, Jessa.

If you notice on the Brady Bunch-type shot of their family fun night, most of the non-married kids (Jana, and James on down, including Tyler) are in one shot, Jed! and Jer are in another shot, and Jason's in a shot by himself. Have Jed! and Jer moved out of the TTH? And, even though Jana said Jason was doing tornado relief, I call bullshit. Oh, and there was a shot of Anna with all the M kids but no Josh. And no Dillards, of course. Totally just for show!

That mask didn't look sufficient.  Is a thin layer of polyester going to do anything?  Not a mask expert.

• Love 2

There seems to be radio silence in both the Duggar and Bates camps, with the exception of Jeremy and Lawson. Maybe the Duggars are waiting until later today to push the show, but combined with the Bates, it makes me go, hmm.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

There seems to be radio silence in both the Duggar and Bates camps, with the exception of Jeremy and Lawson. Maybe the Duggars are waiting until later today to push the show, but combined with the Bates, it makes me go, hmm.

So are we gonna call them Janason or Lawna? 🤒

• LOL 4
(edited)
9 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

So are we gonna call them Janason or Lawna? 🤒

Where is this new rumor about Jana and Lawson coming from? I’ve looked everywhere. 

Edited by Fallacy
Spelling
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Fallacy said:

Where is this new rumor about Jana and Lawson coming from? I’ve looked everywhere. 

Because neither of the families have been on SM much in the past few days.

• Love 1
(edited)

I really can’t see a Lawson/Jana pairing. She just isn’t young enough or “hot” enough for him and he’s not the hard-working, salt of the earth type she’s always said she wanted.

I can see Jana agreeing to marry him if Jim Bob pushed her to, but JB has never seemed to be interested in combining the Duggar and Bates dynasties. The Bateses are almost as famous as the Duggars and I think JB prefers in-laws he can feel superior to. Plus, a courtship, wedding and marriage between families on two different shows on competing networks would probably be impossible to pull off.

The only reason I could see Lawson being interested in Jana would be if he realized that his music career is going nowhere and saw how Jeremy was able to successfully commercialize his marriage to Jinger. But even then, he’d probably prefer one of her younger sisters.

Edited by Albanyguy
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Albanyguy said:

I really can’t see a Lawson/Jana pairing.

I actually can sort of picture this working. Neither Lawson or Jana wants a ton of kids. they have tons of posts showing their own interests,(sarcasm for the fake posts) so a marriage of convenience and they both go on living their separate lives. he runs off to bulldoze trees and houses in disaster areas and post pretty pics singing and merica etc. she stays home and decorates, gardens, travels with laura while he is away and posts pretty pics.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
(edited)

The irony is, I actually think Lawson would go for Jana. Speaking from personal experience, all the handsome, self-absorbed guys I've ever known have always ended up with Plain Janes. Jana is attractive but not outgoing or va-va-voom sexy like say, Gabby Barrett. I think Lawson would love the idea of playing Prince Charming to Jana's Cinderella. His fans would eat that shit up and it would give him a bigger platform for his singing "career."

Edited by BitterApple
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3

A few days off social media doesn’t seem like enough of reason to believe a courtship announcement is forthcoming. Still, I do have to wonder how the networks would work out a deal that would allow them both to appear on each other’s shows. I feel bad for Jana though because folks have repeatedly tried to pair her up with Lawson, and for all we know, she thinks he’s a jackass. I think if Jana and Lawson were going to hook up, it would have happened long before now. I suppose one could play the “last fundie standing” game with them though and assume they’re meant to be. 

• Love 6

One might have nothing to do with the other. As another poster indicated, Lawson was the only one from the Bates who posted anything on SM lately. Wouldn't he be the quiet one if he was in a courtship?

• Love 4
On 7/7/2020 at 5:23 PM, Natalie68 said:

That mask didn't look sufficient.  Is a thin layer of polyester going to do anything?  Not a mask expert.

I've been watching too many Duggars & Bates recently so I'm not sure what couple I'm talking about but I think it was Carlin (Bates)& Evan at the airport flying to see Joy.  They made a big deal out of wearing masks but at least Evan had his on correctly.  Carlin had hers pulled down with most of her nose exposed.  I don't think she realized it was this way but maybe one of the UP crew could have mentioned it. They were walking through an airport & have a sick* infant daughter they left home with Evan's family.  I'm not sure what Tennessee's mask rules are but they acted like this was the first time they wore one.  I know I would be wearing a mask 24/7 & doing as much social distancing as I could if I was Layla's parents.  But I know God saved them from Evan's scare with Covid so they're good.

*I used the word "sick" but Layla has more serious problems than a cold. I don't know specifics except she has a hole in her heart & a breathing condition.  

Sorry I keep referencing this couple & their stupidity but it really upsets me especially when their followers call them a great little family and want to be like them. 

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I've been watching too many Duggars & Bates recently so I'm not sure what couple I'm talking about but I think it was Carlin (Bates)& Evan at the airport flying to see Joy.  They made a big deal out of wearing masks but at least Evan had his on correctly.  Carlin had hers pulled down with most of her nose exposed.  I don't think she realized it was this way but maybe one of the UP crew could have mentioned it. They were walking through an airport & have a sick* infant daughter they left home with Evan's family.  I'm not sure what Tennessee's mask rules are but they acted like this was the first time they wore one.  I know I would be wearing a mask 24/7 & doing as much social distancing as I could if I was Layla's parents.  But I know God saved them from Evan's scare with Covid so they're good.

*I used the word "sick" but Layla has more serious problems than a cold. I don't know specifics except she has a hole in her heart & a breathing condition.  

Sorry I keep referencing this couple & their stupidity but it really upsets me especially when their followers call them a great little family and want to be like them. 

I so agree! Even more so when Evan was travelling during a time when he should have been isolating, due to exposure to a sick co-worker.

• Love 11
(edited)
43 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I so agree! Even more so when Evan was travelling during a time when he should have been isolating, due to exposure to a sick co-worker.

Also, he got tested the day he got sent home from work, got a negative result, and thought he was fine.  He could have still tested positive any time during that 14 day period, and the likelihood of him testing positive right after being exposed , while possible, was not probable.  At the very least he should have stayed home for the full 2 weeks and had a second test on the 14th day just to be sure.

@Barb23:  No need to apologize for referencing this couple.  They ARE stupid and reckless and need to be called out. They are responsible for a helpless infant with significant health issues and that should influence every decision they make.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Love 16