Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, madpsych78 said:

One might have nothing to do with the other. As another poster indicated, Lawson was the only one from the Bates who posted anything on SM lately. Wouldn't he be the quiet one if he was in a courtship?

Lawson is incapable of staying off SM.  He has to constantly promote himself.  I don't know if he thinks it is essential to his "music career", or if it's  just because he's a narcissistic douchebag. I suspect it's a combination of the two.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Lawson is incapable of staying off SM.  He has to constantly promote himself.  I don't know if he thinks it is essential to his "music career", or if it's  just because he's a narcissistic douchebag. I suspect it's a combination of the two.

i vote narcissiistic douche canoe

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Who would we say is the biggest jackass narcissist?  Jeremy V. or this Lawson guy?

All of you know how much I dislike Jeremy, but my God, I think Lawson is even worse. The most ignominious of sweepstakes to win, but there it is. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

I'm not sure what Tennessee's mask rules are but they acted like this was the first time they wore one.  I know I would be wearing a mask 24/7 & doing as much social distancing as I could if I was Layla's parents. 

Tennessee doesn't have a mask mandate, but Nashville, Memphis. and I'm pretty sure Chattanooga do. In Nashville, it's masks required unless you can social distance (like solo exercise). But apparently Carlin posted several pictures of them in Nashville, and no masks. Tennessee has a good chunk of people who think it's a human rights violation to ask them to wear a mask.

8 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

The Duggars will have some real competition come August. This family, the Derricos have 14 kids - quintuplets, triplets and two sets of twins all, conceived naturally. The mom said she's not sure they're done yet.

https://people.com/tv/doubling-down-with-the-derricos-tlc-new-series-first-look/

I’m actually looking forward to this show. It’s nice to see a family of color on again after Six Little Magees got cancelled on OWN, and since they’re African-American they won’t be fundie.  They could still be uber religious though.

• Love 7
On 7/14/2020 at 2:39 PM, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I’m actually looking forward to this show. It’s nice to see a family of color on again after Six Little Magees got cancelled on OWN, and since they’re African-American they won’t be fundie.  They could still be uber religious though.

Are they polygamists'? Looked like there were two adult women on ether side of the husband unless one is an older daughter? 🤨

43 minutes ago, xls said:

Are they polygamists'? Looked like there were two adult women on ether side of the husband unless one is an older daughter? 🤨

I think she is an older daughter. 

The article doesn't explain it well. According to the article:

"Karen and Deon share 14 children, comprised of quintuplets, triplets and two sets of twins"  

This literally doesn't add up.  5(quintuplets) + triplets (3) + two sets of twins (2x2) 4 = 12

There must either be two non-multiples or they only have 12 children. Since they say they have about 14 kids, there must be two more nonmultiples. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 7/14/2020 at 2:39 PM, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I don't know how religious they are, but the dad has definite JB vibes with his shady real estate projects and push to get famous for the number of kids he has. (He also has a kid from a previous relationship he refuses to talk about). I've been trying to find the article detailing it all but google is clogged with TLC stuff.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, lascuba said:

I don't know how religious they are, but the dad has definite JB vibes with his shady real estate projects and push to get famous for the number of kids he has. (He also has a kid from a previous relationship he refuses to talk about). I've been trying to find the article detailing it all but google is clogged with TLC stuff.

Found this https://www.live5news.com/2019/02/28/kingstree-native-husband-have-children-counting/  

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Temperance said:

There must either be two non-multiples or they only have 12 children. Since they say they have about 14 kids, there must be two more nonmultiples. 

They had two singletons first. 

I can imagine there will be a lot of comparisons between this family and the Duggars. 

• Love 3

I'm skipping them.  I saw the promo and wasn't impressed plus I made a vow to myself not to be pulled in to any more TLC shows.  They all start deteriorating in season two.

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Kind of odd that they named the non-surviving triplet with a C name and the rest of the kids have D names.

I noticed that too, it is odd.

• Love 4

Has anybody else watched the Duggars by the Numbers thing? I found it on TLC's website. I believe it is Season 11, Episode 103.

It seems to be a series of flashbacks going all the way back to the earliest specials...basically surmising what the Duggars are about.

My question is:

image.png.748e3bc461d62e4505e7c484a95ee4ad.png

• LOL 6
38 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Except this child, Carter, was conceived after 9 children had already been born and named with D names. 

Yeah. Little Carter apparently died very shortly after birth. So I'd guess they did it because even at the time they named the triplets they already knew he was their child but their child living in another world -- so they gave him a name in a different category from the names their in-this-world children got. 

(edited)
On 7/25/2020 at 5:17 AM, Churchhoney said:

Yeah. Little Carter apparently died very shortly after birth. So I'd guess they did it because even at the time they named the triplets they already knew he was their child but their child living in another world -- so they gave him a name in a different category from the names their in-this-world children got. 

Or, they are running out of D names they like.  So maybe they reasoned "Let's give him another name we like but couldn't use because it doesn't start with D."

It happens.  My in-laws had a son that died shortly after birth.  They'd planned on giving him a family name that was traditional for the first born son.  But when their first was born and they were told he wouldn't survive, they gave that child another family name.

My ex has the name that was intended for a different child, and that child was buried under the name that my husband would have been given, if both children had survived.

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 5
On 7/26/2020 at 9:57 AM, Zahdii said:

Or, they are running out of D names they like.  So maybe they reasoned "Let's give him another name we like but couldn't use because it doesn't start with D."

It happens.  My in-laws had a son that died shortly after birth.  They'd planned on giving him a family name that was traditional for the first born son.  But when their first was born and they were told he wouldn't survive, they gave that child another family name.

My ex has the name that was intended for a different child, and that child was buried under the name that my husband would have been given, if both children had survived.

This makes sense to me. I don’t think it’s odd the non surviving triplet got a different lettered name. 

I wonder if the mom(sorry I can’t remember her name right now) has any Yoruba ancestry- the Yoruba ethnic group has the highest incidence of spontaneous twinning (as in “the old fashioned way”) in the world. 

• Useful 7
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

This makes sense to me. I don’t think it’s odd the non surviving triplet got a different lettered name. 

I wonder if the mom(sorry I can’t remember her name right now) has any Yoruba ancestry- the Yoruba ethnic group has the highest incidence of spontaneous twinning (as in “the old fashioned way”) in the world. 

Could be.  Overall, women of African descent have a higher rate of twinning than women of other ethnicities.  Twins occur about 1:80 births in African American women, 1:100 in Caucasians and 1:120 in Asians.  Fraternal twins account for the difference and it is genetic, of course, although, in some parts of Africa, the locals attribute it to eating yams.  The more yams a woman eats, the more likely she has twins, in their estimation.

There are some remote villages in Africa where the rate of twinning is around 20% of all births.  This, of course, comes from the fact that the villagers have limited options for a spouse and end up marrying someone who is more closely related to them genetically than in other parts of the world which has amplified the risk of twinning.

• Useful 18
49 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Could be.  Overall, women of African descent have a higher rate of twinning than women of other ethnicities.  Twins occur about 1:80 births in African American women, 1:100 in Caucasians and 1:120 in Asians.  Fraternal twins account for the difference and it is genetic, of course, although, in some parts of Africa, the locals attribute it to eating yams.  The more yams a woman eats, the more likely she has twins, in their estimation.

There are some remote villages in Africa where the rate of twinning is around 20% of all births.  This, of course, comes from the fact that the villagers have limited options for a spouse and end up marrying someone who is more closely related to them genetically than in other parts of the world which has amplified the risk of twinning.

Yes I know. 😁

I started a thread for that family and their show here. (if anyone is interested)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm guessing this has been posted since it's from 2017, but I thought I would drop it off in case anyone hasn't seen it.  This YouTube video popped up in my recommended list this evening, but I didn't realize who it was about at first.  The lovely Duggar fam pops up along with old footage of other IBLP families.  It was absolutely disgusting to listen to Gothard and the victims of his cult.  

• Useful 3

Per Reddit

...TV Guide has confirmed that a TLC “Counting Now” episode will debut on September 22 entitled “A Quarantine Courtship.” The episode and a vague episode description now appear from a perfunctory Google search, which was not the case before.

They seem to think it's not Jana. So one of the J'boys is probably falling dick first into an ill-advised marriage. Yay?

Edited by JoanArc
  • LOL 13
  • Love 6

I think it's a Howler who is courting, not Jana, although I don't think it is Jed!, even though he has IG. That was put up for a different purpose. Otherwise, it honestly could be any of the Howlers (except for Jackson). 

James and Justin were both photographed with other girls (one of them being Lauren Caldwell). Jason has an IG. There were rumors with Sinner Twin and a girl.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
30 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Once again, everyone forgets there’s a Justin.

I love you.

Here's the full photo; there are distracting reflections in the glass but you can see why poor Michelle the cat looks ready to hop the next freight train outta town - alone. Those kittens are big!

michelle1.thumb.jpg.98e6d9ec54854fa305a128d76a6fbcf8.jpg

• LOL 6
  • Love 9
32 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I love you.

Here's the full photo; there are distracting reflections in the glass but you can see why poor Michelle the cat looks ready to hop the next freight train outta town - alone. Those kittens are big!

michelle1.thumb.jpg.98e6d9ec54854fa305a128d76a6fbcf8.jpg

Those kittens don't look as though they still need to be fostered for another 6 weeks...They look big enough to be adopted out, and give poor Mama a break! I also only see four kittens, so I wonder whether this is even the litter the post is talking about. Though, of course, not all the kittens are going to be nursing at the same time 24/7. 

I do love that they gave such a huge litter Duggar names, though! 😅

• LOL 2
  • Love 12
7 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Those kittens don't look as though they still need to be fostered for another 6 weeks...They look big enough to be adopted out, and give poor Mama a break! I also only see four kittens, so I wonder whether this is even the litter the post is talking about. Though, of course, not all the kittens are going to be nursing at the same time 24/7. 

I do love that they gave such a huge litter Duggar names, though! 😅

Lots of creative naming at that shelter. Bunch of Lord of the Rings names, cloud names, Huey/Dewey/Louie siblings.

• Love 10

I think there's a good chance the new courtship will be announced at the end of this week after Tuesday's episode (so either Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday). 

The show airs Tuesdays, but I think they'll want to get the announcement this week for maxium media coverage before next week. 

Of course they could want to "surprise viewers" with the new couple as the show airs. But the episodes tend to be on-line early so people who watch on-line will know who the new courtship is. 

This week's episode is all about Jana. 

• Useful 2

Churchies post from the Joy thread ...

In my opinion, being a "reality tv star" is good for no one. And it's especially not good for people who were introduced into the public media by their parents as children, with no right of consent. As well as even less good for people who already have troubled histories of cult involvement, problematic families that isolate them from the general society, and parent-exacerbated possible traumas that their parents continue to paper over a decade-plus down the line! 😁

Of course, I'm sure it's also true that the question of cancelation's effect on molestation survivors had zero role in TLC's deliberations. I'd be shocked if anybody at the network mentioned it in a single meeting! They cared about one thing: What the hell were they going to do if they had to lose one of their more popular shows forever and ever. 

Luckily for them, the ignorance, laziness and greed of multiple generations of Duggars meant that they didn't need to worry about that. These people wanted to be on TeeVee to get some cash and ego strokes. So in my view no TLC rock and hard place ever materialized!

I agree that TLC isn't concerned about exploiting children on TV. I also agree that TLC's main concern was their reputation and income. That's why I don't think they cancelled the show. Like you said the Duggars wanted to be on TV, which makes it odd that some folks have no problem with InTouch writing the story, but have a problem with TLC airing the show.

To me the rock and the hard place was their reputation. Cancelling the show would have looked good because of Josh, but look bad (IMO) because of the girls. I'm guessing they circled around that more than a few times. 

• Love 8
15 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I agree that TLC isn't concerned about exploiting children on TV. I also agree that TLC's main concern was their reputation and income. That's why I don't think they cancelled the show. Like you said the Duggars wanted to be on TV, which makes it odd that some folks have no problem with InTouch writing the story, but have a problem with TLC airing the show.

To me the rock and the hard place was their reputation. Cancelling the show would have looked good because of Josh, but look bad (IMO) because of the girls. I'm guessing they circled around that more than a few times. 

Yeah, I'm probably being a little too hard on TLC. They probably did discuss the girls.

Although I'm still willing to wager their discussion had little or nothing to do with any principles they themselves have related to helping or harming the girls but, as you mention, a huge huge amount to do with how viewers were likely to think of the network in the various scenarios! 

• Love 10

I don't have a problem with the story breaking, but I do have a problem with whoever did the redactions. (And I think if the police department wasn't going to do that, then someone on InTouch's editorial staff should have.)

And I've thought that ever since I read the police reports. It wouldn't have taken much more effort for that someone to have redacted a little more information to protect the identity of Josh's sisters. What was really telling--beyond ages--was the family address. If that had been removed, people may have speculated (and the report would have been harder to follow), but there wouldn't have been confirmation of who the victims were or the information to play a guessing game to narrow it down.

As far as I know, the non-family victim--whom the Duggars liked to pretend didn't exist--has never been outed. (I could be wrong on that, but I hope it stays that way.) 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 8
22 minutes ago, Zella said:

I don't have a problem with the story breaking, but I do have a problem with whoever did the redactions. (And I think if the police department wasn't going to do that, then someone on InTouch's editorial staff should have.)

And I've thought that ever since I read the police reports. It wouldn't have taken much more effort for that someone to have redacted a little more information to protect the identity of Josh's sisters. What was really telling--beyond ages--was the family address. If that had been removed, people may have speculated (and the report would have been harder to follow), but there wouldn't have been confirmation of who the victims were or the information to play a guessing game to narrow it down.

As far as I know, the non-family victim--whom the Duggars liked to pretend didn't exist--has never been outed. (I could be wrong on that, but I hope it stays that way.) 

I think Pickles outed the non family member.