Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars: In the Media and TLC

As a reminder, the site's Politics Policy remains in effect.  Yes, Jim Bob is apparently running for office again. That does not make it an acceptable topic of conversation in here - unless for some mysterious reason, TLC brings the show back and it is discussed on there. Even then, it would be limited to how it was discussed on the show.

If you have any questions, please PM the mods, @SCARLETT45 and myself.

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Man do I live in the wrong place!  How does a family on one income (presumably not affluent people)  afford 3 properties?  

Arkansas property prices can be pretty low. I have a friend who lives in Oakland, and I still have residual trauma from when she told me about real estate prices where she was. LOL 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1
(edited)

Since this is the media thread, I would like to share today's video from Fundie Fridays. 

Jen Talks About TLC

Description of her channel: 

Hi, I'm Jen, I am fascinated by the world of Christian Fundamentalism. On my channel I talk about different topics while doing my makeup poorly. Disclaimer: I am an atheist and the opinions expressed on my channel are my own.

Edited by Clawdel
additional info
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

He said  DUggars always saw Josh as a person with a very big destiny for God

I agree, it’s just it the destiny is to destroy the empire!

• LOL 13
  • Love 2

While I don't think any type of extremists should have a platform, I don't see a lot of folks scrambling to be like to Duggars. The viewers seem to fall into three categories: like minded, meh and haters.

I see families like the Kardashians as doing more widespread damage, especially to women. Because folks do scramble to be like the Kardashians and I'm guessing they have way more fans.

I'm not saying the Duggars are harmless, I just think they make far less of an impact as many think they do.

• Love 2

The problem is the Kardashians don't think they need to control everything and those of the Duggar ilk do. Look up the Seven Mountains Mandate.

Now the Kardashians have tried to wreck fashion (someone please explain them and Kanye to me) and have tried to convince their followers that if it didn't get documented on social media it didn't happen so yea they have influence. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Chicklet said:

The problem is the Kardashians don't think they need to control everything and those of the Duggar ilk do. Look up the Seven Mountains Mandate.

Now the Kardashians have tried to wreck fashion (someone please explain them and Kanye to me) and have tried to convince their followers that if it didn't get documented on social media it didn't happen so yea they have influence. 

I was more talking about body image, sex, privilege, etc. 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I was more talking about body image, sex, privilege, etc. 

Well yes they do that. But Duggars subvert societal (non-religious) norms. Or attempt to. 

Maybe the Kardashians do that also considering the acceptance of sex tapes by young people. Ok they are both horrible people.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

Well yes they do that. But Duggars subvert societal (non-religious) norms. Or attempt to. 

Maybe the Kardashians do that also considering the acceptance of sex tapes by young people. Ok they are both horrible people.

IMO, the Kardashians have more 'success' at influencing folks' behaviors. The Duggars, not so much, they can barely sell a book, never mind their brand of Christianity.

• Love 2

I suppose this should go in the Old Time Religion thread, but I'm so curious to know how the Duggars deal with the cognitive dissonance of "God has great things planned for Josh, so the devil is targeting him" and "Clearly, with these past revelations, the devil has won and God hasn't gotten out of the tub". Do they try to convince themselves that they never believed that Josh was super special and chosen (we have always been at war with East Asia) or that he's somehow going recover from this?

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
49 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

I suppose this should go in the Old Time Religion thread, but I'm so curious to know how the Duggars deal with the cognitive dissonance of "God has great things planned for Josh, so the devil is targeting him" and "Clearly, with these past revelations, the devil has won and God hasn't gotten out of the tub". Do they try to convince themselves that they never believed that Josh was super special and chosen (we have always been at war with East Asia) or that he's somehow going recover from this?

Oh I wouldn't be surprised if they think he is still being targeted. Like he's walking around with the devil's bullseye on his back. 

• Love 10
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Zella said:

Oh I wouldn't be surprised if they think he is still being targeted. Like he's walking around with the devil's bullseye on his back. 

I think JB and M have come too far to turn back now.  They will continue to insist that the devil is torturing poor Joshy because he is so special and destined for greatness.  To admit that they were wrong about him and that they spent decades favoring him and buying his way out of trouble for no good reason is not going to happen. I would hope that some of the older kids have gotten a clue, especially those with spouses and are no longer buying the myth that Josh is God's chosen.

Edited by doodlebug
  • LOL 1
  • Love 19
54 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

Have the Duggars ever read about the lives of the first century Christians post-Pentecost? Nothing in Josh's behavior remotely resembles them. Wouldn't a follower of Jesus bear a greater resemblance? 

• Love 12
1 minute ago, doodlebug said:

I would hope that some of the older kids have gotten a clue, especially those with spouses and are no linger buying the myth that Josh is God's chosen.

Aside from being born first what on earth did Josh Duggar ever do to give him this golden child status?  I mean was he healing lepers?  Speaking 5 languages at the age of 3? Solving world hunger?  I just do not get it.

• Love 21
3 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I think JB and M have come too far to turn back now.  They will continue to insist that the devil is torturing poor Joshy because he is so special and destined for greatness.  To admit that they were wrong about him and that they spent decades favoring him and buying his way out of trouble for no good reason is not going to happen. I would hope that some of the older kids have gotten a clue, especially those with spouses and are no linger buying the myth that Josh is God's chosen.

Yep! They have doubled down for him so many times that I don't think they will ever admit they were wrong. 

2 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

4 minutes ago, WinnieWinkle said:

Aside from being born first what on earth did Josh Duggar ever do to give him this golden child status?  I mean was he healing lepers?  Speaking 5 languages at the age of 3? Solving world hunger?  I just do not get it.

My phone screwed up my reply. What was interesting to me in the Reddit AMA with the verified childhood friend of Josh is that Jim Bob and the other elders in the church apparently really liked that Josh was "a good talker" and felt that would be an asset. 

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 9
9 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I think JB and M have come too far to turn back now.  They will continue to insist that the devil is torturing poor Joshy because he is so special and destined for greatness.  To admit that they were wrong about him and that they spent decades favoring him and buying his way out of trouble for no good reason is not going to happen. I would hope that some of the older kids have gotten a clue, especially those with spouses and are no longer buying the myth that Josh is God's chosen.

BBM, thus enhancing their ego-centric views of self. 

• Love 4

JimBoob ever admitting he is wrong about anything seems highly unlikely. They will continue to “pray on it” and do whatever it takes for Josh. Meanwhile they barely know a thing about their other kids or grandkids. I have little hope that the grown kids who depend on JB for everything will have any other thoughts but what JB tells them.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, ozziemom said:

JimBoob ever admitting he is wrong about anything seems highly unlikely. They will continue to “pray on it” and do whatever it takes for Josh. Meanwhile they barely know a thing about their other kids or grandkids. I have little hope that the grown kids who depend on JB for everything will have any other thoughts but what JB tells them.

Agree they will never admit publicly. Agree also that JB is just the center around which the other kids orbit. He doesn't know them and I think that was true of Michelle when she was still birthing.

Though now, I think she is closer to her adult girls. I also think she still secretly talks to Jill. Michelle's world view was funneled to her through JB. But now the adult daughters might be opening up different discussions and ideas for her. If true, that could be pretty interesting down the line - though we would never hear about that publicly. Over time, these new exposures might also cause her to feel guilty about choosing the Gothard ways.

They say a parent is only ever as happy as their least happiest child. Not true for JB. But perhaps devastatingly true for Michelle.

• Love 5
On 5/9/2021 at 11:16 AM, WinnieWinkle said:

He was the first loin fruit of JIm Bob Duggar (who I think also believed for a long long time that he might be the person sent by the correct Jesus to save America from its heathen satanic modern self) and Meeechelle, the cheerleader Jim Bob Duggar snagged. 

I have a feeling that's all it took to make Josh a Very Special Episode from birth. 

• Love 13

Amy's probably reading message boards and selling the tabloids what she thinks people want to hear most. Lol at the picture JB looks like he's taking a dump.

• LOL 4
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Some good news: Amazon has removed all seasons of 17-19 Kids from their show selection. Not sure if they carry Counting On.

This is probably related to it going onto discovery’s own service, Hulu did the same to counting on.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

This is probably related to it going onto discovery’s own service, Hulu did the same to counting on.

Counting On remains on all platforms. 

eta X Kids had never been on Discovery + just CO.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Not really sure where to put this:

40F24909-A24C-4208-8B6C-659D21CF7CBB.jpeg

In what way could they possibly help India with COVID?  They wouldn’t even mask, limit travel, or social distance to help keep their own families and friends safe. 

• Love 20
1 hour ago, awaken said:

In what way could they possibly help India with COVID?  They wouldn’t even mask, limit travel, or social distance to help keep their own families and friends safe. 

I would imagine that the lion's share of the money will go to "administrative costs," but there will be some left over to buy Bible tracts to mail to someone in Dehli.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I would imagine that the lion's share of the money will go to "administrative costs," but there will be some left over to buy Bible tracts to mail to someone in Dehli.

They could send blatant covid denier Lawson Bates over to deliver the tracts personally. He still wouldn't put on a mask. 🙄

• Love 10
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

They could send blatant covid denier Lawson Bates over to deliver the tracts personally. He still wouldn't put on a mask. 🙄

I might have coughed up a couple of dollars to see that happen, but then I decided I do not want this asswipe representing my country.

• Love 11

I have no idea how legit (or not) the Duggar/Bates organization is, but what makes me suspicious is, for the last year many US states were suffering and clamoring for help. Where were they then?

I guess it could be because there wasn't enough supplies and donations to go around during that time, but it seems to me MedicCorps only show their faces when its other countries.

Or is it a white savior thing? Or maybe they 'help' unsuspecting countries that initially appreciate the help. Help that turns out to be a Mickey Mouse operation?

Or maybe they're legit?

• Useful 2
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Chicklet said:

I wouldn't trust a Duggar or Bates with any amount of money and I would demand transparency which is not going to happen as Grift is their blood type.

My guess is that it's partly a fundraising scam and partly a clumsy attempt to deflect attention away from Josh and all the bad publicity he's brought down upon them: "See, no matter what Josh may have done, we're all really good people! We care about human suffering!".

• Useful 2
  • Love 15