Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

For instance, if a Bachelor lead says, "I really enjoyed getting to know Suzy better this week," I don't think it's reasonable to protest that he only talked to Suzy for two minutes, or complain that he didn't ask what she did for a living. I recognize that there's probably some dull footage on the cutting room floor.

Holy shit, man--the things so many people "know" in all the Real Housewives threads...it can be infuriating. "She didn't do THIS because we didn't see her do it!" (duh, in the all of 90 seconds she was shown on TV. I mean, I didn't see my coworkers brush their teeth this morning, but I am not about to assume none of them did). Between that and not outright hating Housewife A means you obviously must support everything she does ever, and/or that you must then hate Housewife A's nemesis--you cannot feel multiple things toward multiple people. Oh, and if someone does Bad Thing X, that someone clearly and obviously never ever could possibly do Good Thing Y. 

• Love 1
I know this has gotten OT, but I also really hate when you are talking to another adult and they call their parents "mom" and "dad" instead of saying "my mom" or "my dad." I don't know why but this enrages me. We all have moms and dads, yours aren't the supreme ones who own those monikers Lol.

Haha! I hate when my sister does the opposite when talking to me! Just what is she trying to imply? Also, it would explain a great many things. To add to this--and I hope I do not come across as awful because I assume it's a regional thing: I always laugh when I hear an adult man on TV refer to his "daddy." It's usually Southern characters. I mean, I don't really care what people call their parents and I don't mean to judge; it just makes me laugh. 

EDIT: Dammit, I thought I was adding to my last comment--sorry for the double-post. Don't tell mom on me.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

Abby from NCIS. She was all right at the start, but then they started making her more and more like an infant. She's supposed to be this amazing scientist, but she's never found accountable for any of her actions. She had a crazy ex-boyfriend after her, so Gibbs makes her stay with McGee. She leaves her toothbrush in the car, McGee goes to get it and tells her not to open the door for anybody, so of course someone knocks on the door ten seconds later, she opens it and boom: crazy ex-boyfriend. Gibbs punishes McGee by taking his chair away for the day.

Then there was the time she got obsessed with a missing scientist. She strong-arms McGee into taking her downtown DC, then he turns around for 30 seconds and she hops aboard a Metro bus. The look on his face was sheer "Oh, shit; Gibbs is going to annihilate me."

The thing that pissed me off the most and go off Abby completely was when she gave McGee shit for shooting and injuring an attack dog that bit and attacked him. She was such a bitch to him and never asked about his injury. The cherry on top was then she made him adopt the dog because she wasn't allowed to have dogs at her apartment.

I know she's supposed to be a sort of stand-in for Gibbs' dead daughter, but it just got really ridiculous. And why was McGee always her chew toy? I stopped watching a few years ago, but seeing this thread brought it all back.

• Love 4

Haha! I hate when my sister does the opposite when talking to me! Just what is she trying to imply?

You're adopted. :-)

To add to this--and I hope I do not come across as awful because I assume it's a regional thing: I always laugh when I hear an adult man on TV refer to his "daddy." It's usually Southern characters. I mean, I don't really care what people call their parents and I don't mean to judge; it just makes me laugh.

I'm a grown man, but when my siblings and I talk about our parents, we still refer to "Mommy" and "Daddy." We're not Southern.
  • Love 1

I'm a grown man, but when my siblings and I talk about our parents, we still refer to "Mommy" and "Daddy." We're not Southern.

I don't mean to siblings, or as a proper noun--I mean using the word "daddy" in place of "father." In the scenario you describe, you're not using a possessive pronoun; you're using "Mommy" or "Daddy" in place of real names, which I do hear people do here in NJ. I meant more like, "My daddy had a saying..." or "My daddy could buy and sell you!" (With a lowercase d).

ETA: Right after I posted, Cam on Modern Family did it!

As for adopted, haha! Like I said, it would explain so much. My unruly hair for one thing, when all those other jokers have hair that is smooth, shiny, and perfectly straight! What gives?!

Edited by TattleTeeny

I am so with you about Abby. She is the reason I could never really get into the show. Plus, the fact that she is wearing the same outfit. It may have looked cool as a teenager but as the winkles are beginning to show, she just looks stupid.

• Love 3

I don't know how widely loved this character was but I cannot stand Lt. Kenneth "Lou" Shea from Rescue Me. Flames! Flames, I tell you! How do I hate thee, let me count the ways:

First (and probably foremost and where he lost all benefit of the doubt with me) was the way he treated Laura. Yeah, all the guys were dicks to her because "Eww! Girls!" and they were all extremely juvenile and off putting but Lou was on another level with his treatment of her. Then there was the "twat" incident for which she gave him every chance to apologize before she complained to the higher ups and he still acted like an entitled child. THEN!! He gives a speech to her about how they're "just words". Like, fuck you, for telling someone else what should or should not offend him or her especially when he knew exactly what he was doing when he called her that in the first place. It wasn't a case of semantics, or her being too sensitive, or a misunderstanding. Not that she didn't mess up, but he chose that particular word (and probably because the show couldn't get away with using the "c-word") because he knew it would hurt.

The time he poured Tommy a drink and told him he liked him when he drank. Now, Tommy is a whole other story but the show (a) was based on the premise that Tommy was damaged as well as arrogant and selfish (b) showed Tommy getting his comeuppance every once in a while and © never really emotionally manipulated the audience into feeling bad for him. So anyway, Lou, knowingly enables his best friend's alcoholism right as Tommy was falling back off the wagon. Nice.

The hypocrisy. Oh man, the hypocrisy. Going full circle, one of the reasons he was such an ass to Laura was the whole "Can you rely on a tiny woman to help you out during a fire?" thing. Now towards the end of the series, he's had at least one heart attack, he's hiding how bad his health is from the rest of the ladder, and he's refusing to quit active duty and/or change his lifestyle. Tommy even confronts him about dieting and instead of acting like a big boy about it (see what I did there?) he again gets all juvenile and pissy. I know body image can be a touchy subject, even for men, but his entire job relies on him being physically fit for duty. And he was right about one thing, if an active fireman can't do his or her job then the odds of someone losing a life or becoming gravely injured increase. And guess what, he became such a burden that that very thing happened. And guess what else, never after the fact did he exhibit the self awareness to acknowledge that what happened was on him, even after Franco called him out on it, which of course made Franco the bad guy.

And on a petty note, he was never as funny as the show wanted us to think he was.

Now don't get me started on uncle Teddy...

Edited by kiddo82

Haha! I hate when my sister does the opposite when talking to me! Just what is she trying to imply? Also, it would explain a great many things.

My brothers and I do that to each other just to be childish.  If I am visiting and Mom makes a family favorite meal, I can't help but text my brothers what "my" Mom made me!  Of course, they do it right back to me.

I usually call my parents Mom and Dad, but sometimes use Mommy or Daddy - it isn't conscious.  I've been at work before in a cube farm when a call came in from them and I naturally answer "Hi Mommy" or Hi Daddy".  It resulted in a lot of abuse by the co-workers who overheard me, but a lot of them thought it was sweet.

• Love 4

It is sweet, I think--that's not what I'm talking about though. It's not the proper-noun usage that makes me laugh, it's the other way.

I think my sister just slips up when she does the "my mom called and said..." or whatever to me--or she wants me out of the picture so she can have the whole inheritance to herself! 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6

In the age of instant streaming and DVR's (both of which I partake in routinely) I still think there is a place for syndication. There's a simple pleasure in the "discovery" process of it all like getting lost in 3 hours of the Big Bang Theory when your plans fall through on a Saturday night or finding that SVU marathon when you are looking for white noise while you clean the house. Sure, I can watch my favorite episodes of Friends whenever I want to but it's unexpectedly finding them at one in the morning when I can't sleep that is part of the fun.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 12

In the age of instant streaming and DVR's (both of which I partake in routinely) I still think there is a place for syndication. There's a simple pleasure in the "discovery" process of it all like getting lost in 3 hours of the Big Bang Theory when your plans fall through on a Saturday night or finding that SVU marathon when you are looking for white noise while you clean the house. Sure, I can watch my favorite episodes of Friends whenever I want to but it's unexpectedly finding them at one in the morning when I can't sleep that is part of the fun.

Oh my god, you don't even know how much I wholeheartedly agree. Even when I own the DVDs, finding it on TV is much better. For instance, shouldn't damn Jesus Christ Superstar be on sometime this weekend? I couldn't find it listed, and got all mad about it. My BF was like, "Calm down! You have your own!"

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3

I'm going to jump back on Daredevil, since I just finished watching the season yesterday, and will say that I am not looking forward to the return of Fisk next season, if they renew it. I liked Fisk when I first watched season 1, but got annoyed with Vanessa and his relationship by the end. Now, with the introduction of Frank, I couldn't care less about Fisk and his return to New York and his building of a prison empire. Like Jessica Jones' Kilgrave, I prefer when villains are a one and done. But I'd welcome Frank back any time because he's not a full out villain, just in a grey area. Also, Fisk's storyline is boring and predictable. I HATE predictable, and I find Frank more unpredictable than Fisk, even if his storyline is also steering toward tropes I am familiar with. 

I don't think it's unpopular to dislike Matt/Karen, but if it is, then I am on board with that. They're just a boring and predictable couple. I much preferred Karen and Frank, even if that is also easy to see. Plus, Karen seems less in love with Matt, judging by the quick way she dumped his ass after finding Elektra in his bed (she made no comment about Stick, an old guy, chilling in his apartment either). I may see attraction, but Frank's totally wrong about the love aspect. 

Also, I enjoyed Claire and Foggy's interactions so much that if they became a couple, I wouldn't argue against it. I just want Claire to come back, since she does well against Matt. 

About the new Netflix series Luke Cage? I am not planning to watch it, because I detested Luke Cage in JJ. I just found the character of Cage absolutely boring and I felt myself dragging through his scenes with Jessica. Why do we have to get a series on him, of all people? All he's going to end up doing is fighting people and not dying/almost dying and then easily coming back to life. He has nothing to him, except for his unbreakable skin. That's it; that's the only semi-appealing thing about him, but even then, we've seen indestructible people around all the time. 

I also predict an Elektra series sometime in the next two years, but even though I didn't particularly love her in Daredevil, I think she's more interesting than Luke. 

Oh, and I also learned that I didn't like the two male love interests on Jessica Jones. Everyone else was wonderful, but if I have to see Will and Luke in supporting roles again, I might be tempted to quite JJ after season 2. 

I don't think it's unpopular to dislike Matt/Karen, but if it is, then I am on board with that. They're just a boring and predictable couple. I much preferred Karen and Frank, even if that is also easy to see. Plus, Karen seems less in love with Matt, judging by the quick way she dumped his ass after finding Elektra in his bed (she made no comment about Stick, an old guy, chilling in his apartment either). I may see attraction, but Frank's totally wrong about the love aspect. 

Based on many comments I've seen, I'll have to say that my unpopular opinion is that the idea of Karen/Frank is awful.

She's not going to fix him and make him a good man, as is the common trope with this sort of story. She's not going to change him one little bit. He is an unstable, dangerous, ruthless psychopath. He's shown it again and again, killing without mercy. Just because he limits himself to killing people he thinks deserve it doesn't make it any better.

This isn't a good girl/bad boy romance, and it never will be. The idea of Karen being involved romantically with Frank Castle sickens me, because she would be enabling or condoning a remorseless murderer, and it would be a horrendous compromise of her as a human being. Fortunately, it's not going to happen. And it's something that even the Marvel comic book writers appear to have always understood, because I'm not aware of any romantic interests the Punisher has had in his publishing history, other than his dead wife.

• Love 2

Based on many comments I've seen, I'll have to say that my unpopular opinion is that the idea of Karen/Frank is awful.

She's not going to fix him and make him a good man, as is the common trope with this sort of story. She's not going to change him one little bit. He is an unstable, dangerous, ruthless psychopath. He's shown it again and again, killing without mercy. Just because he limits himself to killing people he thinks deserve it doesn't make it any better.

I don't know who you're talking about when you say Karen and Frank, but what I will say is that you have to remember that fandom is where a character can be forgiven for being a cold-blooded murderer before they can be forgiven for almost anything else. You can slaughter as many people as you like with a song in your heart, but God help you if you should occasionally happen to speak too sharply in an argument, because that gets you labeled as "cruel" and possibly even "hypocritical" if you should mention that maybe having a blood-spattered history is not awesome. I don't pretend to understand it, but that's just how it is.

• Love 4

This isn't a good girl/bad boy romance, and it never will be. The idea of Karen being involved romantically with Frank Castle sickens me, because she would be enabling or condoning a remorseless murderer, and it would be a horrendous compromise of her as a human being. Fortunately, it's not going to happen. And it's something that even the Marvel comic book writers appear to have always understood, because I'm not aware of any romantic interests the Punisher has had in his publishing history, other than his dead wife.

I agree. They have a good chemistry and I like them in scenes together, but not that way. I read a comment that said Karen was a strong and admirable character and Frank deserved someone like her in his life, as if her being a strong character was worth nothing by itself but meant that she would be a good reward for Frank after losing the last female archetypes in his life.

So incredibly true.  I have discovered some of my favorite shows, like The Middle, while remoting randomly through the channels.  I would never have even started watching these shows if I'd had to stream or rent DVDs, mostly because I might not have known they existed.

• Love 2

From the TV Rules thread:

Bad example: Big Love. Sorry, TPTBs, you can shout from the top of the mountain about an LDS polygamous family lioving openly is the same as gay people being able to live freely in modern society, but that wasn't the show that aired even remotely. 

I'm going to be fairly circumspect here, but this kind of thing has been an irk for so long that I have to say something.

For all that we're not supposed to talk politics on this site, and for all that I appreciate that since God knows my Facebook feed is full to bursting with political talk lately, I really wish there wasn't some insatiable need for TPTB and whoever else to turn everything into some kind of social statement. One thing is never going to be exactly like something else, because everyone has different experiences, even among whatever group they belong to. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone specifically, but perhaps the reason showrunners make annoying statements about X being just like Y is because the general public insists so strongly on grand, sweeping statements about society. I'm not saying viewers should always sit mindlessly in front of their televisions or whatever other device they use to watch, but there's a reason the later years of M*A*S*H aggravate so many people.

Oh my god, you don't even know how much I wholeheartedly agree. Even when I own the DVDs, finding it on TV is much better. For instance, shouldn't damn Jesus Christ Superstar be on sometime this weekend? I couldn't find it listed, and got all mad about it. My BF was like, "Calm down! You have your own!"

YES!!!! And I get mad when I miss The Grinch and It's a Wonderful Life. Yes, I could stream them or whatever but it's not the saaaaame. My husband won't watch JC Superstar with me. He doesn't understand my love of it. 

I have fond memories of watching L&O TBS marathons while I was pregnant on bedrest. This was before the age of Netflix. I also could totally waste an entire Saturday watching stupid MTV and VH1 marathons of The Real World or I Love the 80's/90's or Behind the Music.

• Love 2
My husband won't watch JC Superstar with me. He doesn't understand my love of it.

Literal sacrilege! Haha, I know nothing of sacrilege--JCS is probably my only exposure ever to anything remotely religious. But I did send my fairly devout grandma Easter flowers the other day...and signed the card "My Name (and Jesus!)."

My BF is not a musical kind of guy (not musical movies, that is; he's actually a working musician) but even he can't deny the awesomeness that is JCS! THOSE SONGS! I prefer the original cast recording, but the movie will definitely do in a pinch (plus it has songs that weren't in the original).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1

And too, maybe it's because I am An Old, but there's something about experiencing the same thing a whole bunch of other people are experiencing at the same time. Although I'm pretty sure a lot of people here are younger than I am, and the bulk of the conversation seems to be about things which were broadcast one way or another, within a few days of when they're broadcast, so maybe it's actually a thing?

Edited by Julia
  • Love 5

Parks and Recreation is a sweet show but extremely unfunny. Sometimes the humor is just incredibly dumb and the same things over and over, like yes we get that Ron hates big government and likes to eat red meat without you telling us that every time he opens his mouth, and other times I don't even think the show is even trying to be funny, just a sugary lovefest. It's the kind of show that makes me happy sometimes because everyone always has their dreams come true, but I really don't think it's smart and witty AT ALL and am so surprised by how many critics think it's one of the most humorous and clever shows. Like replying "it's in your mother's butt" when someone asks where something is passes for wit on that show. That's an actual line from it, and for some reason the show mentions butts all the time like the showrunner's kindergartner hijacked the script. And other times it's just characters telling each other many times that they love each other and hugging and exchanging a bunch of gifts, which is sweet but gets a little much after awhile and just isn't funny. Or maybe I just have the unpopular opinion that Amy Poehler isn't funny. I haven't seen her in a lot of other projects, so I'm not sure. 

I agree with the people a few pages ago who said that Gilmore Girls' Luke is the WORST. I hate him so much and don't even get why his temper issues and the fact that he never stops criticizing and complaining for one single second are supposed to be cute. Luke and Lorelai had such a terrible relationship and are so mismatched in every way that it surprises me how many people want them back together. But I think almost all the guys on that show are terrible, which seems to be unpopular...? Nearly every male seems to have a serious mood disorder and needs major anger management. I actually think the show in general is overrated. 

Angel is my favorite show and I really like most of Buffy, but I'm not someone who thinks Joss Whedon is a demigod who can do no wrong. Case in point is that I don't like Firefly at all and think it's one of the most overrated things I've ever seen. The dialogue is a disaster. Trying to blend slang from old westerns and modern English while incorporating some Chinese might SOUND like an innovative idea, but the result is a mess. I didn't love any of the characters and disliked two or three of them. And the romantic pairings that Joss Whedon tried to force together were just terrible except maybe Zoe and Wash. There are a few people on other sites will always steer any conversation back to what a tragedy it was that Firefly was canceled and how anyone who doesn't appreciate its greatness just didn't get it, but I think it's awful and am legitimately surprised it made it to TV in the first place.  I didn't like Dollhouse much but think even Dollhouse is better than Firefly. 

Edited by EternallyCharmed
  • Love 2

Luke from Gilmore Girls. It needs no explaining.

Joey from Dawson's Creek. Just too Mary Sue-ish for my personal liking.

Noel from Felicity. What's the male version of Mary Sue?

Angela Chase from My So-Called Life. Jordan Catalano from the same show. They piss me off tremendously.

Marissa and her gal pal Summer from The O.C. I didn't watch that show just because of the general stupidity, but because of the stupidity of the two girls, too... I came back in the last season - all credits go to delightful Taylor Townsend.

Edited by decembar13
  • Love 1

I'll start with the biggest one first: Matt Saracen from Friday Night Lights. I literally have not found more than one person who disliked Matt Saracen (and, trust me, I searched!). His accent annoyed me, I was not taken with Gilford's acting, I didn't think he was "OMGZ the sweetest guys ever!!!111!!!!" All in all, I just didn't get the hype. And don't get me started on Matt/Julie. Ugh. Honestly, since his character was such a big part of the show, I can't even say I loved the show like most people did. I really want to know if anyone agrees with me on this one!

OMG I thought I was alone! I never liked Matt that much and I pretty much hated the Matt/Julie ship. Julie deserved better tbh.

Maya on Girl Meets World. I liked her during the first season and still like her friendship with Riley and those moments, but everything else just bugs me. I do not think she has charisma or generates chemistry with every character, except for inappropriate chemistry with Shawn. I think it is too much of a good thing, since I liked her at first, but this season seems to be overkill. I think Sabrina Carpenter is on par with the rest of the actors on the show and Disney Channel.

I 100% agree with every single thing here. And I'm glad someone else sees the chem with Shawn. At least I don't feel alone in that particular squickyness now!

• Love 2
Rory Gilmore: (and a touch of Lorelai). I kinda get over Rory after season two and totally over her by season four when she basically decides she gets to have Dean because she loves Dean first. (generally in any Lorelai/Rory fight I'm on team Lorelai because Rory is just dumb and stupid). kinda over her and her special snow flakeness (why is it that everyone loves her in Stars Hollow? I mean. Lane is the same age? Why does Rory get the special snowflakedom and Lane is the side kick?)

This so much. I have discovered it's probably best to not re-watch a show you once loved, once you're older, because things you thought were so great and awesome, suddenly just seem very, very annoying. Gilmore Girls is the epitome of that for me. I totally fell for the Lorelai and Rory are just the greatest thing since sliced bread when I originally watched the show. However, watching it years later, a little older, I now realize that I actually cannot stand Rory and think she was an overly pampered entitled little snot and the "every guy who comes within a one mile radius of her must fall in love with her" was particularly gag-inducing, particularly considering how little personality she had.

But where my Rory hate really spiraled was definitely the college years where let's see, she fucks married Dean once she's feeling a little low and lost, then proceeds to make no apologies for it because well, "he was my boyfriend first." Okay then. Never mind that he was her boyfriend until she left him for Jess. Yes I know he initiated the break up but that was only to salvage his pride since it was clear as day that Rory was hung up on Jess. Then dumb-ass Dean breaks up his marriage to be with her (and note that I had no sympathy for him because I couldn't stand him either) only for Rory to later get caught up in her Yale life and her new rich, privileged friends and life per Logan, who she was already clearly interested in. So oops, sorry Dean, you were no longer interesting to her. 

Then Logan's dad later gives her some brutal honesty about her future as an investigative journalist and her response is to prove him right by having the most over the top melodramatic meltdown, complete with quitting school for awhile. All because ONE guy told her she didn't have it. And why not, when her whole life Rory was treated as the most special, precious, perfect, most amazing snowflake ever. Then her grandparents welcome her in while she's supposedly figuring stuff out and finding herself because again one guy told her she couldn't hack it. Yet as soon as Emily finally shows some tough love, she decides that they are awful and starts going on about how her mom was always right about them. Then when Christopher comes into his inheritance and offers to pay for the rest of her college, Lorelai is the one who has to practically plead with her to call her grandparents and let them know that Christopher would now be taking over her college payments. And little miss entitled acted so put upon and annoyed because apparently Emily and Richard didn't even deserve that. Never mind that were it not for these people she wouldn't have had her privileged Chilton education that allowed her to get into a prestigious Ivy League like Yale. Honestly, I have zero interest in that Netflix reboot because I don't care about Lorelai or Rory and never really cared that much about the secondary characters. 

Damon and Elena (TVD) - I never really cared for Elena because her Mary Sue-ness was kind of annoying but I found her somewhat tolerable in the early seasons. However, once she became a vampire and the writers went full speed ahead with her and Damon, I loathed the character because her entire identity and life became wrapped in that toxic gross relationship with Damon that was supposed to be so passionate and powerful and soul baring....but again was just disgusting and disturbing on every level. All the so called passion and soulmate shit was basically just Ian and Nina having a bunch of semi-raunchy sex scenes that was supposed to be so hot and supposedly mean true love. As for Damon - I could have been fine with Damon had the writers kept him the evil, unrepentant asshole who got off on torturing everyone, including his own brother. As soon as the retconning started to justify the eventual coupling with Elena and the woobification began, I just plain hated him. Hated him because I knew he would never actually pay for his shit or even get called out for it. And I don't care how much his stans hate it because "yawn, that was so long ago..." I say he's still a rapist who raped Caroline and the asshole who deliberately murdered Jeremy just because Elena wouldn't fuck him, which only makes her later falling in love with him even more pathetic. Finally, I don't now and have never found Ian Somerholder hot and those crow's feet are really starting to make it hard to buy him as a vampire in his early 20's. Also his acting is average to mediocre at best. 

Not sure if this is related solely to television characters, since I know it is the Everything Else TV thread but let me just say especially when it comes to widely loved characters, I cannot freaking stand Ron Weasley (and well hell most of the Weasley family save for the twins who were kind of cool and the older brothers we really never got to know) from Harry Potter. Another example of re-reading when you are older being a bad thing. Reading the series now just makes me even more annoyed that Hermione and all her brilliance and awesomeness got saddled with that whiny and annoying brat. Yes he could crack some jokes and had his moments but in my opinion, Ron was a whiny, petulant brat for much of the series who spent a lot of it resenting Harry for the fame Harry didn't even want and wealth he had because his parents were dead. And I never found him and Hermione adorable and "passionate". I thought they were both incredibly nasty to each other at times and seemed to just bring out the worse in each other. The bickering was maybe cute for one or two books but by the last damn book when they were almost 18, it was just annoying and tired. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

And too, maybe it's because I am An Old, but there's something about experiencing the same thing a whole bunch of other people are experiencing at the same time. Although I'm pretty sure a lot of people here are younger than I am, and the bulk of the conversation seems to be about things which were broadcast one way or another, within a few days of when they're broadcast, so maybe it's actually a thing?

I think Twitter (or "the Twitter" as I like to call it) is helping to keep regularly scheduled programming relevant. I can't keep up with live tweeting a show (too distracting unless it's something I've already seen or a sporting event) but there is that "we're all going through this together" thing which you can't get with streaming. Last Christmas season I was scrolling my tweets to find Mike Golic, a national sports talk radio host, was randomly live tweeting the broadcast of Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer for the hell of it and it was pretty awesome, like MST3K-ing it with a buddy.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 1

I'll start with the biggest one first: Matt Saracen from Friday Night Lights. I literally have not found more than one person who disliked Matt Saracen (and, trust me, I searched!). His accent annoyed me, I was not taken with Gilford's acting, I didn't think he was "OMGZ the sweetest guys ever!!!111!!!!" All in all, I just didn't get the hype. And don't get me started on Matt/Julie. Ugh. Honestly, since his character was such a big part of the show, I can't even say I loved the show like most people did. I really want to know if anyone agrees with me on this one!

Mad Men: Rachel and Peggy. Just completely overrated, in my opinion. 

Walking Dead: Carol and Glenn

Me, I've disliked Don Draper from the start. Fascinating, yes, liked, never. I'm also not a big fan of Peggy's, althought I have a soft spot for Joan and Pete, warts and all. And I'm a huge fan of Betty's (but that's off topic here as she's not a widely loved character). 

Regarding Orphan Black, I do love the Helena character, because she is one of the most complex of all clones - from the start it was, what will win at the end, the nice nd fuzzy feel of belonging or the upbringing of kill or be killed? I like what we've seen of her so far, and that she herself is conflicted between both. I would be scared shit of her in real life, but on my screen? she can stay as long as she wishes.

And lastly, the characters I liked the most on Friends were Phoebe and Joey. Given the vibe here, I feel that I should move these last two paragraphs to the UO thread, but I do not know how :(     

Not sure if this is related solely to television characters, since I know it is the Everything Else TV thread but let me just say especially when it comes to widely loved characters, I cannot freaking stand Ron Weasley (and well hell most of the Weasley family save for the twins who were kind of cool and the older brothers we really never got to know) from Harry Potter. Another example of re-reading when you are older being a bad thing. Reading the series now just makes me even more annoyed that Hermione and all her brilliance and awesomeness got saddled with that whiny and annoying brat. Yes he could crack some jokes and had his moments but in my opinion, Ron was a whiny, petulant brat for much of the series who spent a lot of it resenting Harry for the fame Harry didn't even want and wealth he had because his parents were dead. And I never found him and Hermione adorable and "passionate". I thought they were both incredibly nasty to each other at times and seemed to just bring out the worse in each other. The bickering was maybe cute for one or two books but by the last damn book when they were almost 18, it was just annoying and tired. 

This happened to me as well during my latest revisit to the series last year. The turning point was Half-Blood Prince. With each page that Ron was mentioned, I just ended up liking him less and less. It's such a shame, because when it first came out, it supplanted Goblet of Fire as my favorite in the series, but I was probably busier paying attention to other details, but last time I spent most of the time rolling my eyes and internally screaming for Ron to get the hell over himself.

• Love 1

Speaking of opening credits; I loved the opening credits to The Leftover's first season. Absolutely hated the song for the second season. The imagery was good, but OH GOD that song.

OMG I thought I was alone! I never liked Matt that much and I pretty much hated the Matt/Julie ship. Julie deserved better tbh.

No. Freakin. Way. You do exist!

So what was it about him that you didn't like? And how did it impact your love of the show?

Opening credits are so important. I hate that shows have moved away from them. (I get it because that's limited run time that could be used to further the plot and all but I don't like it) They're like the overture at a musical; they get me in the right headspace for the show. Game of Thones is all dramatic, Big Bang Theory is silly fun, True Blood was all dark and sexy and Buffy was a cross between gothic and modern. I don't need that time to enjoy a show, but it does help. I've been rewatching House on Netflix (Canada) and the theme song is different. I feel it every time because "Teardrop" worked to tell me something about the show that this replacement music just doesn't do.

• Love 1

After the first couple of times, I find opening credits annoying, so I usually fly right by them.  However, I really liked the Game of Thrones opening credits, even though I didn't care for the show itself.  I know...weird. 

Edited by ribboninthesky1

Opening credits are essential to a show, IMO. That might be why I don't watch much modern TV; it's not the same without a good theme song involved! 

(That, and at 27, I'm a grumpy old person in training. :P) 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3

After the first couple of times, I find opening credits annoying, so I usually fly right by them.

It depends - if I'm watching several episodes in a row on DVD or on-demand, I'll fast forward through them, otherwise I'll usually let them roll.

• Love 1

Opening credits are so important. I hate that shows have moved away from them. (I get it because that's limited run time that could be used to further the plot and all but I don't like it) They're like the overture at a musical; they get me in the right headspace for the show. Game of Thones is all dramatic, Big Bang Theory is silly fun, True Blood was all dark and sexy and Buffy was a cross between gothic and modern. I don't need that time to enjoy a show, but it does help. I've been rewatching House on Netflix (Canada) and the theme song is different. I feel it every time because "Teardrop" worked to tell me something about the show that this replacement music just doesn't do.

I wish that were the reason.  I think it's so they can squeeze in more commercials, though, not more show.  That's how it feels, so I end up ff'ing a lot. 

I mean, is there anyone who watched tv in the 80's who doesn't know the theme song to Dallas?  The Brady Bunch?  The songs become part of the brand of the show, and just a note or two of the theme song is often instantly recognizable.

• Love 7

After the first couple of times, I find opening credits annoying, so I usually fly right by them.

That is EXACTLY how I felt about that horrific "Forever Young" that Parenthood used...and the more I disliked the show, the more I disliked that damn song!

Heh.  There is a funny article I read calling out Ron for being relentlessly mediocre even though he had a level of   privilege and access that Harry and Hermione never had.  Here is a quote:

Hermione was an all around badass. She was smart as a whip and knew it, she had wit for days, and she had a mean twist out. Ron, on the other hand? Nice enough dude. But ultimately all around middling, in talent and ability. What he DID have over the other two, however, was access. Ron was born in the wizarding world, molded by it, and ultimately had a leg up on minor things that Harry and Hermione could never intrinsically know. And even with that reinforcement, he still occasionally gave into his worst characteristics. Namely, being deeply envious of the competencies that Harry and Hermione had, even while receiving benefits they never had.

• Love 1

I don't really watch Supernatural much anymore but I caught a few recent episodes while home with the flu and realized that I've come to dislike Dean Winchester. If you know anything about that fandom than you know that is as unpopular an opinion as you can get! I always thought Dean was not much more than the typical bad boy hero, the tough hard drinking wiseass who of course is the bravest guy in the world, has a special connection with kids and has what is supposed to be the greatest heart in the world underneath the snarky front. I didn't really get why so many loved him but he was entertaining and enjoyable to watch sometimes before the whole show became so terrible. Not that it was ever as good as some make it out to be but that's a separate opinion!

But now that the show's been on for eons and repeating itself over and over to the point of exhaustion, Dean just seems so pathetic to me. He's this alcoholic horndog who lusts after everything that moves and he sounds like he smokes a carton a day. His jokes are unfunny and so immature that it sounds like a preteen wrote parts of the script. He tries to talk macho but sounds like a little boy trying to sound a lot tougher than he is. He makes fun of other people all the time for not being cool enough which again makes him seem like a teenager. Everything that used to be only a little annoying when he was younger or even a little charming to some is now just pitiful. I know he's one of TV's most popular characters but I really don't like him much at all.  As you can probably tell, English is not my first language so I'm very sorry to readers and moderators if this post contains errors! 

Edited by EternallyCharmed
  • Love 2
I hate that shows have moved away from them. (I get it because that's limited run time that could be used to further the plot and all but I don't like it)

I've heard that the reason they decided to skip the opening theme song/credits is because they feared that people would switch channels and they'd lose viewers. They want to really hook the viewers into the episode before that first commercial break and opening credits you see every week won't help them do that.

I think the advent of DVRs hastened the death of opening credits. If people are just zooming past them, then why waste money on them? I'm sure it's gotten worse with binge watching of shows. The first few episodes I might watch opening credits that I really like - after that, I'm zooming.

Movies used to have long opening credits too - watch an old movie and they'll run through the entire production staff over title cards before they show you anything. Some movies still have some opening credits (mostly directors, producers and major actors flashed over establishing shots), but often we are right into the action. Of course, back then the production staff would consist of maybe 60 names. Now, there are probably 60 names just for the F/X team for a romantic comedy. Maybe that is another reason to move the TV credits to the end of the show (lots more names to get through).

I do think a good theme song does set the tone for the show, so I do miss them. That doesn`t mean I wouldn`t channel surf away from a boring one.

My UO: I want an award show for Broadcast Television shows. Yes, I know there are already too many award shows, but I`m tired of watching the Emmys, Globes, whatever and see all these shows nominated that I`ve never seen because I won`t pay for cable. Now Netflix and Amazon shows are getting nominated! I`m not made of money. I just want to find out what the best of the best shows I might actually watch are. And I want to have some skin in the game by having a show or actor I can actually root for. Yes, I know my cheapness and bad taste should not be rewarded, but I want what I want. The Emmys can keep giving awards to some show that only airs to 12 subscribers of some obscure premium channel that is only available in three states - I want my Broadcast TV awards. 

Also, the can trim an hour off the Emmys by getting rid of the movie/mini-series categories. They made sense back in the 80s when everybody was making TV movies and miniseries, but now the genre is too small.

• Love 1

I don't really watch Supernatural much anymore but I caught a few recent episodes while home with the flu and realized that I've come to dislike Dean Winchester. If you know anything about that fandom than you know that is as unpopular an opinion as you can get! I always thought Dean was not much more than the typical bad boy hero, the tough hard drinking wiseass who of course is the bravest guy in the world, has a special connection with kids and has what is supposed to be the greatest heart in the world underneath the snarky front. I didn't really get why so many loved him but he was entertaining and enjoyable to watch sometimes before the whole show became so terrible. Not that it was ever as good as some make it out to be but that's a separate opinion!

But now that the show's been on for eons and repeating itself over and over to the point of exhaustion, Dean just seems so pathetic to me. He's this alcoholic horndog who lusts after everything that moves and he sounds like he smokes a carton a day. His jokes are unfunny and so immature that it sounds like a preteen wrote parts of the script. He tries to talk macho but sounds like a little boy trying to sound a lot tougher than he is. He makes fun of other people all the time for not being cool enough which again makes him seem like a teenager. Everything that used to be only a little annoying when he was younger or even a little charming to some is now just pitiful. I know he's one of TV's most popular characters but I really don't like him much at all.  As you can probably tell, English is not my first language so I'm very sorry to readers and moderators if this post contains errors! 

That's not an unpopular opinion with me!  I never thought Dean was a great as some people did, but he was tolerable and somewhat amusing in the first three seasons.  For the last few seasons, he's turned into to a massive jerk who's borderline abusive to Cas and Sam.

• Love 2
I've heard that the reason they decided to skip the opening theme song/credits is because they feared that people would switch channels and they'd lose viewers. They want to really hook the viewers into the episode before that first commercial break and opening credits you see every week won't help them do that.
Don't the credits come after the cold open though?  It doesn't seem to me like the credits' fault if the cold open didn't do its job.

I think there are factions which fervently support both brothers, and both factions feel strongly about how much the other brother sucks, so disliking Dean is not an UO any more than disliking Sam is.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1