Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

Felicity from Arrow. I liked her initially, but the strong love for her and how everything she does is awesome made me dislike her. Also, I could care less about Olicity. For me less is more with Felicity. To be fair I am not a Laurel fan either. 

It's funny how that works.   I think I would probably enjoy Arrow more if I never read anything about it online.  

I hate Neil Patrick Harris and Joseph Gordon Levitt.   In anything.  And everything.

I hate Neil Patrick Harris and Joseph Gordon Levitt.   In anything.  And everything.

Heh---I actually dislike EVERY character from How I Met Your Mother except maybe Marshall. 

Gilmore Girls: In addition to the aforementioned dislike of the widely loved Luke, I can't stand most of the 'townies'---Babette, Kirk, etc. I totally get the argument that the excessively quirky, maddeningly LOUD minor characters are part of what makes Gilmore Girls the show that it is, but it's a part that I feel compelled to fast forward through :) 

I wouldn't say I ever disliked Chuck's Sara, but I never got the incredibly deep love for her, either. Actually, none of the characters on that show are in the 'love' category for me (and I never bought Zach Levi's Chuck as a genuine geek/nerd), though I did  enjoy Casey. 

• Love 1

He doesn't seem to be quite as widely disliked now as he was when Gilmore Girls first aired, but I love Jason (aka 'Digger.') I thought he was more intellectually and emotionally compatible with Lorelai than any other love interest, he was one of the only GG significant others with an actual personality, he fit very well into GG's quirky, witty, amusingly neurotic little world, and he's probably the only one of the largely unappealing male characters on that show who I'd like and click with in real life. 

Felicity from Arrow. I liked her initially, but the strong love for her and how everything she does is awesome made me dislike her. Also, I could care less about Olicity. For me less is more with Felicity. To be fair I am not a Laurel fan either. 

You know, I liked Felicity is S1 as well.  But you are right about the "less is more" because I think we had just the right amount of her in S1 which is probably why I liked her.  Now?  I loathe her.  And it isn't just because of the fan-overworship.  She is a walking talking quirk.  I've never seen the actress in anything else so I don't know if this is a deliberate with the character, but I find her stutter-stop line delivery annoying.  And yes, the fan overworship take me to my contrarian place.  The odes to her awesomeness when she guested on The Flash was just too too much.

• Love 6

I'm not sure that she herself was hated so much as her storyline was, but I liked Karen on The Office. She was career driven, sarcastic, and for the most part dealt with the situation in a mature and adult way compared with Jim and Pam. I was a Jim/Pam shipper at the time, but I still thought she was a cool character who was treated like crap by Jim and the writers. In fact, I was downright annoyed that one of the few characters on the show who was relatively normal and still entertaining at the time was sacrificed for a love triangle.

• Love 3
(edited)

I think I made mention of being entirely more tolerant of females on tv then males. I tend to give them a wider birth and like the hated ones fore entirely weird reasons. I think the most reacent example is Barbara Keen on Gotham . I was tolerant of her for a long time and then the last few episodes I actually loved her.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

I've been watching Mad About You lately and realized I like Ursula so much better then Phoebe on Friends.

Ursula was wonderful on Mad About You but a complete bitch on Friends. I remember being so disappointed about how she changed into a completely different character.

• Love 2

Ursula was wonderful on Mad About You but a complete bitch on Friends. I remember being so disappointed about how she changed into a completely different character.

I think they implanted the best of Ursula into Phoebe, then, for the sake of comedy, or perhaps fearing that viewers lacked the ability to distinguish between twins, they made Ursula the antithesis of Phoebe.  

That's actually happened to me a few times too. I thought this thread was more of a place to kind of ramble on, so it didn't matter what's posted. 

Maybe it's time for a "Really Unpopular Opinions" thread.

I love Brenda Leigh Johnson from the Closer. I don't care what she did to T Ball considering he was a gang member who murdered a elderly man and his grandson. Brenda cleaned up a lot of messes for the LAPD.

• Love 7

I love Brenda Leigh Johnson from the Closer. I don't care what she did to T Ball considering he was a gang member who murdered a elderly man and his grandson. Brenda cleaned up a lot of messes for the LAPD.

Is she widely hated? Probably the people who most hated her were the writers!

I don't care what anyone says, Dick York was ADORABLE as Darrin 1.0 on Bewitched. One of my first crushes as a kid when I watched the reruns on Nick at Nite in the late 90's. I couldn't believe it when TV Tropes listed his Darrin and Samantha as an example of "Ugly Guy, Hot Wife." EXCUSE ME? Dick York was HOT, in my book. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I've hated Darren ever since that early Bewitch episode where Samantha nearly gets

raped by his client. Seriously, theonly thing that kept that from happening was her turning

him into a dog. When she tells Darren he's more worried about the client and blames

Samantha for it. I'm sorry, but what? I don't care what the era is, that's not the reaction

a husband should have to hearing his wife was almost raped. Sure he punches the guy

later for once again hitting on Samantha. But for me it hardly made up for what being

more worried about his client and blaming her. It got blown over and forgotten but I

was never able to forget it. Or let it go.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 1

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but I think all modern sitcoms suck, and have sucked for the past ten years or so.

I just don't think today's shows are very funny.

For me, the greatest generation of sitcoms -- from Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, M*A*S*H, Happy Days, and All in the Family in the 1970s,  through the Cheers and Family Ties, etc. in the 1980s, and Seinfeld, Friends, Frasier, etc in the 1990s -- finally ran out gas and came to a rolling stop with the end of Everybody Loves Raymond in 2005. 

It's like good comedy writing up and died.   I've tried newer shows but they don't cut it.   No matter how many episodes of The Office I watched, it left me cold and bored.   How I Met Your Mother is lame, more dependent on risque material and innuendo than actual humor.  Big Bang Theory doesn't do it either, in part because so much of it is dependent on the character of Sheldon (full disclosure: I'm close to someone with Asperger Syndrome and it's really not a laughing matter -- and yes, I know the show creator denies Sheldon was modeled after Asperger individuals but that's bullshit).  Two and a Half Men?  Um, no.  And so on.

I remember a time when there were four or five sitcoms every week that were "must-see" TV.   Now I don't follow even one.

Oh well.

• Love 3
  1. I still like "The Good Wife."
  2. I liked "Nurse Jackie" all the way to the end.
  3. I liked the male clones and S3 of "Orphan Black."
  4. I think Kerry Washington is awful on "Scandal."
  5. I like Ricky Gervais. But his show "Derek" -- and the oversappy promos and pictures he uses to promote the show -- still feels like some kind of cruel inside joke to me, like eventually we'll learn it was all just parody. I love RG but simply cannot accept him  in that role.
  6. I hated the final few episodes of Kimmy Schmidt.
  7. I think Amy Schumer is pretty, smart and charming. I find her funny when she's just being herself (on "Graham Norton" for instance). But in her comedy, I think most of her most popular sketches are overpraised and forced, especially when she's attempting to be edgy and topical. The FNL sketch ("don't rape"), the Cosby trial, etc. -- they're just all so clunky and obvious. The sketches start and end in the same places. The ideas are more clever than the executions.

I like both Derek and Julianne Hough.  They're great dancers, choreographers and teachers and seem like nice people

I love both of them, especially Derek, who I think is a really talented choreographer.

My UO on Outlander is that I liked the last episode.

I totally agree. I loved the show, and the finale.

I just watched a video on Gawker that was a 5 minute supercut of how [Letterman]'s interviewed the women on his show over the years and it's creepy and lecherous as shit. I definitely wasn't upset to see him leave before, and now my only thought is "Good Riddence".

I thought Letterman was brilliant. I agree that he flirted occasionally with female guests, but it never really struck me as creepy so much as a kind of awkward and charming. For instance, with Julia Roberts (whom I usually don't find all that likable in real life), it was like both of them were constantly playing an extended sketch in which they were both in a kind of screwball comedy.

I also liked the way Letterman was totally willing to risk real talk with his guests -- there was an edge and unpredictability. He could certainly be unlikable, but this also occasionally made him moving and likable to me -- like his post-911 speech, his philandering admission, or the incredibly awkward yet touching interview he did with Lindsay Lohan in which he basically said to her everything a parent would want to say -- and an average citizen. The interview was supposed to be fluff but it ended up being truly sweet, kind, tough/scared and poignant.

My UO, I loved the Sopranos finale.  I thought it was brilliant. 

I loved it too. I thought it ended perfectly.

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure this is a massively UO, but Daredevil wasn't that impressive to me. My biggest superficial complaint was how dark the show was visually. To try to see a large percentage of it I would have to mess with the settings on my tv & even then it wasn't easy to see. Eventually I quit messing with them for the show. It seems this has become a thing lately. It's one of several reasons I gave up on The Following. I hate the visually dark trend. Additionally it took me a longer than expected to connect with or care about the characters. By the end of the season I was tepidly involved but spent the majority of each episode playing a game on my iPad or reading these forums. It wasn't like I could see much of what was happening anyway. I started the season & was determined to see it through but I don't know if I'll bother with the next.

• Love 4

Team Sara all the way.  Felicity was a great idea... for a minor character.  For someone who's practically a co-protagonist now?  Blech.  Too much.

• Love 1
(edited)

My hatred for TV characters is mostly reserved to what I like to call the cuddly psychopath - Spike, Logan, Helena from Orphan Black, Alison from Pretty Little Liars, etc. The Karma Houdini treatment they get in-show is bad enough but the way much of the respective fandom gushes incessantly every time the psycho decides to do something not so horrible for a change can be even more annoying sometimes.

Also - Boyd Crowder. Not quote as much of a psycho as the above and generally not nearly as annoying as them but I have had so many moments when I have wanted to yell at my TV "Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!". As another character put it, the guy never missed an opportunity to use ten fancy words when one simple word would suffice. Also, I never could buy the idea that Boyd with his gang of about two henchmen (who keep on betraying him to boot) would ever be allowed to control so much of the Kentucky drug market.

Gilmore Girls: In addition to the aforementioned dislike of the widely loved Luke, I can't stand most of the 'townies'---Babette, Kirk, etc.

Isn't hating Kirk the popular opinion? :)

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 3

As a reminder, this thread is here for personal unpopular opinions.  It's not here as a platform to attack other posters unpopular opinions.  If that becomes an issue, or if it becomes apparent to other posters and then gets reported, then protocol is for the post to be hid, discussed by the mod team, and then dealt with.

Your mods for the EETV Forum are The Crazed Spruce and myself, if you are in need of clarification, it's always best to either report, which will go to the Mod Team, or you can PM TCS or myself.

• Love 5

It's like good comedy writing up and died.

I can't decide if this the case or laziness or if networks think everyone is in the one hour dramas because there really doesn't seem to be much of a focus on sitcoms. The ones we get are well...not very good or very funny. Or filled with people who really well to nicely put it jerks or gross. Or both. If these shows at the best scripts their getting for sitcoms I'd hate to see what the ones they rejected were. Mike and Molly was a cute sitcom before they decided to turn Molly into a jerk. I thought in the beginning Two and Half Men wasn't too bad until they upped the grossness and made everyone a jerk. The same with Big Bang Theory, it started out as a funny

show about nerds, then they upped the jerky level on everyone. Whether Sheldon has problems or not its really hard to see why anyone puts up with him. Why it took Amy so long to break up with him despite her needs changing and getting treated like crap. Howard and Bernadette seem to take turns from being jerks. And Raj, has been a jerk for awhile now. Penny became a drunk bitch who mooched off everyone and treated her boyfriend like crap. Leonard switches from being treated like dirt to being whiny.  Where is the funny and humor?

• Love 1

Donna Noble. I hate her so much and I admit to feeling personally satisfied with her ending.  I get that it was refreshing to get a companion who didn't have the hots for the Doctor but did it have to be her?  A loud, extremely unfunny moron without two brain cells to rub together?  I think Tate did a surprisingly good job at the dramatic moments (like the Pompeii episode) but on the whole, I just wanted to toss her ass into deep space.  Never understood the attachment fans have to her.

• Love 1
(edited)

Not sure if this is a an opinion of one, but I really didn't like Locke from Lost . He was okay in the first few seasons but by season 4 or so I was so sick of the "poor me.. I would believe anything".  His past sucked and it he never learned from any of it. I was so happy when Ben killed him.

Edited by blueray
  • Love 3

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but I think all modern sitcoms suck, and have sucked for the past ten years or so.

I think there have been some good ones, or ones that had a lot of potential, but they now need to be instant hits or they are toast.  I loved Enlisted, The Crazy Ones, Wedding Band and Battle Creek (maybe dramedy is a better description for that) and they all only had 1 season.  Enlisted amd Battle Creek were in the No Man's Land of scheduling.

• Love 1
(edited)

For me, the greatest generation of sitcoms -- from Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, M*A*S*H, Happy Days, and All in the Family in the 1970s,  through the Cheers and Family Ties, etc. in the 1980s, and Seinfeld, Friends, Frasier, etc in the 1990s -- finally ran out gas and came to a rolling stop with the end of Everybody Loves Raymond in 2005. 

It's like good comedy writing up and died.   I've tried newer shows but they don't cut it.   No matter how many episodes of The Office I watched, it left me cold and bored.   How I Met Your Mother is lame, more dependent on risque material and innuendo than actual humor.  Big Bang Theory doesn't do it either, in part because so much of it is dependent on the character of Sheldon (full disclosure: I'm close to someone with Asperger Syndrome and it's really not a laughing matter -- and yes, I know the show creator denies Sheldon was modeled after Asperger individuals but that's bullshit).  Two and a Half Men?  Um, no.  And so on.

I remember a time when there were four or five sitcoms every week that were "must-see" TV.   Now I don't follow even one.

Oh well.

I'll admit that there are some modern sitcoms that I've seen that can be funny, but overall, I tend to like the older ones FAR better. In fact--and this is a BIG UO--I tend to only like watching most sitcoms/dramas after they have gone off the air and have completed their runs (with the exception of daytime soaps). I don't know if that makes me look like a selfish viewer or a special snowflake of some sorts, but maybe I just like knowing I don't wait for the next episode or something, lol. It's a shame, because I would love to be involved in ongoing conversations here about current shows, but I guess I'm just too lazy to actually go ahead and watch them while they're currently on the air. Oh well, more reruns for me! :P

Edited by UYI

I can't decide if this the case or laziness or if networks think everyone is in the one hour dramas because there really doesn't seem to be much of a focus on sitcoms. The ones we get are well...not very good or very funny. Or filled with people who really well to nicely put it jerks or gross. Or both. If these shows at the best scripts their getting for sitcoms I'd hate to see what the ones they rejected were. Mike and Molly was a cute sitcom before they decided to turn Molly into a jerk. I thought in the beginning Two and Half Men wasn't too bad until they upped the grossness and made everyone a jerk. The same with Big Bang Theory, it started out as a funny

show about nerds, then they upped the jerky level on everyone. Whether Sheldon has problems or not its really hard to see why anyone puts up with him. Why it took Amy so long to break up with him despite her needs changing and getting treated like crap. Howard and Bernadette seem to take turns from being jerks. And Raj, has been a jerk for awhile now. Penny became a drunk bitch who mooched off everyone and treated her boyfriend like crap. Leonard switches from being treated like dirt to being whiny.  Where is the funny and humor?

You know there are still a few sitcoms that aren't produced by Chuck Lorre, right?

• Love 1

Robyn How I Met Your Mother.  Actually liked her at the beginning of the series but towards the end she was so unlikable JMHO. She came across as the mean girl.  Although she was very pretty never understood her "have to be the prettiest women in the room" thing or why someone would pay her rent since she was so hot ?? That was all odd.  In the end of the series (before finale) we find out she is alone, lonely with only her dogs.  That ending made sense to me since she become such a shrewd not because she was a strong/career women.

• Love 2
(edited)

The more "Popular" ones are pretty bad.  Then again I have never been a sitcom person so I am not a good judge but I do like CBS's Mom.  Which I actually find kinda funny and I Appreciate and almost entire female cast.  .  And Netflix's Grace and Frankie which is less funny and more wistful.    A few years ago there was Reba which I liked.  There are probably more that I can't think of right now that I did like at one point or another.  Big Bang Theory is hit and miss with me.  (Hit when Penny is treated like a functioning human being - miss when she is treated like a blonde bimbo)  But like I said sitcoms were never my thing so you can't go with me as a judge.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
(edited)

Marge Simpson. She was ok in the early seasons of The Simpsons, but I have come to hate her. She's such an annoying, embarrassingly ignorant, passive aggressive goody goody ninnybitch. And what makes it worse is how the other characters constantly praise her as a paragon of virtue.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2

I would have put the cutoff before Friends, Frasier and Seinfeld, myself. Well, maybe early Frasier, before Kelsey Grammer decided he was the Republican Alan Alda and started slopping gravitas all over everything. Friends and Seinfeld were poster children for the unlikable POV characters from the beginning, JMO.

I seriously can not stand Faith from BTVS. Her tough girl from "the streets" act grates on my nerves. The only time I like Faith was when SMG played her  when the two characters switched bodies. It's the way Eliza Dushku plays Faith I guess. I can't even watch reruns when Faith is featured. I just hate her.

I also can't stand Fred from Angel. I hated her Mary Sueism.

• Love 5

Agreement, although I might quibble with one or two of the shows you listed as good. I've noticed that the only time lately that I seem to have sitcoms on is when I leave the TV on while I'm waiting for something else to come on afterward. Makes me wonder how many sitcom ratings are being boosted by people like me who just don't bother turning the set off for half an hour.

I think part of the problems is that modern sitcoms are rather sanitized, and the older ones just had better material. Could you imagine Maud getting an abortion as an episode of TV now?

To be fair, this is limited to broadcast networks. The cable and premium channels have wider latitude, but the trend is sitcoms with characters who are jerks now, so there is a sameness too.

• Love 2

I like Rusty from Major Crimes and have since he was introduced. It never bothered me that he was hostile towards authority since it's a huge change from the streets to being a Catholic school student. Rusty's father didn't know he existed and his mother was a selfish bitch. Rusty had no chance for a normal childhood.

• Love 1
(edited)

My knee-jerk reaction was "nuh-uh," but I looked at my DVR and the only sitcoms are You're the Worst and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1

I think part of the problems is that modern sitcoms are rather sanitized, and the older ones just had better material. Could you imagine Maud getting an abortion as an episode of TV now?

Yes, this. I was spoiled by watching shows like All in the Family and Maude on Nick at Nite and TV Land in the late 90's. Not that every sitcom needs to be about hot button issues, but when you've seen ones as good as the two above shows were in their day, it could leave your standards very high.

Then again, I'm not above cheesy family shows either, so don't go by me all the time. :P

Actually, maybe a UO: I wish TV today had more room for sillier, cheesier scripted shows, family sitcoms, sci-fi shows, AND the critically acclaimed sitcoms and dramas of today. There should be a room for a bit of everything; the first two categories shouldn't have to be reduced to reruns. Then again, it may be very difficult for certain genres to exist today. 

• Love 1

I for one am glad that SciFi has embraced the cheese that is Sharknado.    Every scifi show doesn't have to be "dark" and "edgy" with deep ramifications for mankind today.    Sometimes you just need to disconnect and watch Ian Zering cut his way ouf of a shark with a chainsaw.

• Love 11

You are right, but isn't that insane? I mean, shows in the 70s were more risque and edgy than now? It's supposed to go the other way. We're supposed to be more progressive now.

UO: I hate sitcoms that take a dumb situation that the person could have easily avoided, and try to make it funny. By this, I mean shows like Seinfeld or King of Queens, where all of the "humour" is based on the character pretty much being too stupid to just say no to something, stop doing something or anything else like that. Prime example is a show like Seinfeld. A specific example would be the famous Soup Nazi episode. Okay, the "no soup for you" was funny - the first time. But honestly, no soup is that good. Here is a concept - instead of stepping on pins and needles to get this food, just don't go. Don't go, and you don't have to get upset over not getting the food, you don't have to get angry over the whole situation. No one is forcing you. Just DON'T.

I just don't find it funny at all. Another example is a show called King of Queens. The main character Doug doesn't want to go to the opera with his wife, and instead comes off with this convoluted song and dance just to get out of it. Again, here is a concept. Why don't you stop being a dick and do something your wife wants. If not, then just say no. That's it.

I find this with a lot of shows - they make their own misery and put themselves into stupid situations by making stupid decisions. It is not funny at all.

• Love 7

Sitcoms like It's Always Sunny, which I like, tend to get away with more, overt conduct than in the 70s. There's others that do too. I mean, Three's Company was kind of edgy with the implied sexual content, but was fairly banal compared to All in the Family. 

The broader sitcoms of today all tend to have the same characters, but the content is static. It's the typical stuff described above.

I'll give Seinfeld some credit though. They were really the first successful "bad character" cast on tv. Something like the Soup Nazi is more about them being so neurotic that they can't just let it go. No surprise, Larry David on CYE does the same thing because he can't get over it. 

The family sitcoms really haven't changed much since the Honeymooners. All in the Family is just an update of that, but they were so smart to really ground the show in the times and wrote really good content. 

Even the Cosby show, which ruled the 80s was fairly bland. Cheers never tackled any big issues, but they created really grounded original characters and the show just drew you in. 

• Love 2

Team Sara all the way.  Felicity was a great idea... for a minor character.  For someone who's practically a co-protagonist now?  Blech.  Too much.

I don't agree with you about Felicity, but there are other characters in that category that I dislike. That category being minor characters whose roles became bigger because of their popularity when they really only worked as minor characters with limited amounts of screentime. I once watched an early episode of Family Matters and felt that way about the character of Urkel. So when I found out that he became basically the main character I decided to never watch another episode of that show.

I guess several of the other mentioned characters also fall in that category: Spike, Logan Echolls, Dick Casablancas and not mentioned before, but Claire from Degrassi falls in that category for me. I liked her in her first appearance as Darcy's sister, but I quickly stopped liking her when she became a regular character.

• Love 1

Hey if you can like Connor. I can like Dawn. I know from your previous post Cobalt Stargazer that you don't like Spike (and I get why). but I actually enjoyed Spike's relations with Dawn. I thought it was weirdly cute.

Add me to the club that like Dawn. And Spike's relations with her.

And like amensisterfriend I liked Elena Gilbert. Even as a vampire Elena had some good moments, mostly when she wasn't around Damon.

And since I'm talking about hated female characters, if I remember correctly, Liz Parker on Roswell also falls in that category. I always liked her.

• Love 1

Brenda from 90210.  Her best friend & boyfriend get together and I am suppose to not feel sorry for her? Her brother isn't even on her side to comfort her.   

• Love 9

I'll echo the Will Schuester from Glee love. He's one of my favourites, even though his character got the short end of plotlines in the last two and a half seasons (and especially that horrible 'Will can't speak Spanish after all' retcon).

I'll also say that I've seen a lot of hate toward Finn, but he was also one of my favourites. I know there had been some Finchel fans, but I saw a lot of hate for Finn as an individual and I just thought he was no worse than half of the characters, Rachel and Kurt included. Also, I loved Cory Monteith so that may influence why I loved Finn so much. I actually hated when his role got reduced in the fourth season and the only true plotline he got, besides being a coach for Glee Club, was kissing Emma and fighting with Will about it for two episodes. I thought Finn could be used in a much more effective way before his sad death, and I wish he had gotten the chance to go to New York. Out of all the characters, his was the one most vocal about leaving Lima and not becoming a Lima Loser. That was the basis of his whole character, actually. You'd expect Rachel and Kurt to get out, but Finn had to fight harder and it's a shame they never let him leave. 

I'll say that human Elena from TVD was my favourite, though vampire Elena was frustrating at times. I thought human Elena, though, was fantastic, strong and a really strong example of a role model to young girls. She may have been boring compared to someone like Caroline or even Katherine, but as a human, she showed that she was a fighter, was passionate and cared about the people around her. She sacrificed herself a lot of the time to save her friends, something that was lost when she became a vampire. Elena had some boring qualities, but Nina brought it and made her likeable, despite all of that. 

Thirteen from House. I was surprised to hear how many people actually disliked her, at least from many online forums that I scoped. I thought Thirteen was a good character, though I disliked her and Foreman together with a passion (I've always hated Foreman though, just behind Taub). 

I've been rewatching some Friends episodes and I forgot how much I actually liked Ross. David Schwimmer definitely has the type of comedic style where it can either be annoying as hell, or you can't help but love. I'm definitely in the latter; David has this perfect comedic timing where he could hit certain notes perfectly for me and make me burst out in laughter. I didn't love the whole Rachel/Ross drama but outside of that (and outside of some of his other relationships), I liked Ross a lot. At least, I liked him more than Phoebe sometimes. I guess I don't mind the slightly shrieking, high pitched, shouting type of comedy. It was endearing for his character, and I think it fit him very well. 

• Love 3

Oh, this feels like more my thread.

Santana Lopez from Glee. I actually do not, and have never liked the character. I know Naya's talented, though I've never fallen in love with the actress either, but Santana is the one character I can't stand. I think she was always a major bitch and I never got why Rachel and Kurt were friends with her. She was never nice to them, and they always tried too hard to be her friend in the college years. I only liked her when she was with Brittany, and I'm ok with the fact that they got married. Brittany was never much better, either. 

Helena from Orphan Black. Like, really? I know she's your sister, Sarah, but she killed your bio mom, killed two of your clones and would have killed you too if it wasn't for the fact that she discovered that you two are twins. Why do you keep her hanging around? My least favourite clone, for sure. Though...damn, her and Jesse and her and Donnie have had some cute moments together. Other than that, I'm rooting for Helena to be the clone to die, if they ever wanted to get rid of a main clone. 

Spike from Buffy. I don't understand why he and Buffy ever became a couple. I honestly still scratch my head on why they made him a good guy. I just don't think he was a redeemable character, and I didn't mind that he was pathetically in lust with Drusilla. It was much better than him and Buffy hooking up. 

Sawyer from Lost. Ok, granted I haven't seen all the seasons of Lost, but he never ever appealed to me as a character.

• Love 3

Thirteen from House. I was surprised to hear how many people actually disliked her, at least from many online forums that I scoped. I thought Thirteen was a good character, though I disliked her and Foreman together with a passion (I've always hated Foreman though, just behind Taub). 

Well the ultimate "Widely Hated Characters Who You Like or Even Love" from House was probably House himself. Some people hated him from Day 1 (no idea why they watched then) and others simply let some kind of frustration build up and then hated him.  

For me, although a few plot elements from the later seasons (Huddy) really put me off, I never really went off the character himself. He was a jerk, heck, in some ways kind of a monster, but a conssitently entertaining one. We may not be able to comprehend why anyone in his world put up with him, but frankly it's people like Cuddy and Wilson who look like fools for doing so, not us in the peanut gallery. 

It's a tough one, these types of characters, and I've been right down the line over the years with them.  I always like Dabney Coleman, for example, in his roles like this (most of them on TV back in the 80s), but consistently have loathed Charles Grodin (mostly in the movies, but really in anything and everything he's ever been in). I kind of hated Rainn Wilson in Backstrom last year, but loved Dwight from The Office. 

I'm on the fence, for example, with Matthew Perry's version of Oscar Madision, who I know from posts here so many people hate. I won't quite say I LIKE the character, but I don't mind that he's a jerk.  Perry's comic timing and line delivery has been completely off on that show, admittedly, but I don't think it's the unredeemable mess some say it is (nor is the character). 

• Love 1

Santana Lopez from Glee. I actually do not, and have never liked the character. I know Naya's talented, though I've never fallen in love with the actress either, but Santana is the one character I can't stand. I think she was always a major bitch and I never got why Rachel and Kurt were friends with her. She was never nice to them, and they always tried too hard to be her friend in the college years. I only liked her when she was with Brittany, and I'm ok with the fact that they got married. Brittany was never much better, either.

This so many times. I always thought her character was a bitch as well. I could tolerate it more when she and Brittany were background characters with a line here and there, but when TPTB made them a bigger part of the show. I hated her. I will add that I also hated Brittany. She is a character where less is more. I really did not ship Brittany with anyone, because they made me question how the character functioned on a day to day basis by making her so stupid. 

• Love 6

Oh, this feels like more my thread.

Santana Lopez from Glee. I actually do not, and have never liked the character. I know Naya's talented, though I've never fallen in love with the actress either, but Santana is the one character I can't stand. I think she was always a major bitch and I never got why Rachel and Kurt were friends with her. She was never nice to them, and they always tried too hard to be her friend in the college years. I only liked her when she was with Brittany, and I'm ok with the fact that they got married. Brittany was never much better, either. 

IMO Brittany was worse. Far worse. 

With Santana you could spin her behavior as a defense mechanism combined with some ridiculous exaggeration of "tell it like it is"/stab you in the front rather than in the back.

Brittany was someone who SHOULD have understood being misunderstood and had compassion. And she was shown to have almost none. But the fans/viewers loved her.

• Love 5
(edited)

UO re Arrow (aside from thinking it's always taken itself way too seriously in a 'someone's watched too many Christopher Nolan superhero films' sort of way---and, yes, I also hold the UO of not liking Nolan's grim, joyless take on superheroes!): The only character on that show who I ever truly liked a lot was Sara. Felicity was fine, but never as great as she's generally made out to be---even back in S1, IM(U)O :) And Oliver Queen is such a douchebag that I wouldn't even want my worst enemy to date him, much less view him as some sort of prize who some 'lucky' woman will eventually win. (And he sleeps with every woman he encounters along the way anyway) I didn't even muster up affection for the popular Thea. Sara, though, was awesome IMO...so, naturally, she's the one who was killed off! I have bad TV-related luck :)  

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 1

I have some Unpopular Opinions I'd like to share if you fine folks don't mind.

ER:

1. I don't like Carol Hathaway. At all.
  2. Mark and Elizabeth were cute together.
  3. While I didn't enjoy every storyline, I don't think the later seasons are bad at all.

Doctor Who: NuWho, because I haven't finished the older series yet.

1. I really didn't like Rose with Ten and loathed Amy after about three episodes. I would have rather had Mickey and Rory than those two.
  2. I often found Ten completely unlikable. He had his moments of charm, and I can't knock Tennant's acting, but Ten really rubbed me the wrong way at times.
  3. I hated Eleven being so intertwined with various and sundry Ponds for the majority of his run.
  4. Donna's departure was awful. Especially when she regressed to her previous personality. I would have rather had her killed off than that.
  5. I liked Martha.
  6. I wish Clara had a full season with Eleven.

Friends:

1. Ross/Rachel should have been done after their first break-up.
  2. Phoebe is one of my least favorite characters on television.

Breaking Bad bored me to tears.

• Love 3