Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

I think it was this thread where I brought up not wanting to see Game of Thrones, but watching it anyway because my husband wanted to see it.  I'm also pretty sure that this is where the sex scene conversation happened (which I didn't respond to).

We just finished episode 7 of the first season and I'll admit that I'm becoming intrigued by a few characters.  I still don't love it and I'm lost on what's happening, but I'm coming around a little bit. Having said that:  I don't mind sex scenes.  In fact, some of them I actually enjoy.  Even if they are gratuitous, I've been known to enjoy them.  But, I have my limits when it comes to gratuitous sex scenes and I'm about there already with GAT (which doesn't bode well for me, does it?  :)  After the one early in episode 7, I was rolling my eyes thinking "Oh for God's sake.  Seriously?"  *yawn*

• Love 1

"Slide to open" was arguably the best sight gag on tv this decade.

And completely improvised too, by Tom Mison, which is awesome.

Sometimes you get a talented actor who throws in something (action, dialogue or response) of their own making and it totally makes the show/episode/whatever 100+ better.

UO (I think this is one): I get a kick out of seeing an actor break character or address the fourth wall. Seen in comedies usually. I know many have complained about Horatio Sanz and Jimmy Fallon always giggling on SNL, for example, but I think it's hilarious. It makes me laugh more.  Especially when they are trying to deliberately cover it up or are pretty creative in quickly finding a way to incorporate it into a scene or make the transistion smoohter.

You tend to see it more in live-taping shows (The Big Bang Theory is one that comes to mind, that I've seen this occur several times) but there have been some shows that kept the take of the actor losing it, because to me, it really makes the scene hilarious.

• Love 7

I think Tatiana Maslany is amazing in Orphan Black, but the show itself is a muddled messI usually don't have trouble following shows with complex storylines, but most of the time I have no idea what is happening on that show and that's why I lost interest in it and have not watched beyond the first episode of season three yet.

I agree, but I'd encourage you to try to keep watching season three. The plot remains complex, but things become more clear in the last 4 (or so) episodes. And Tatiana remains amazing, of course.

UO (I think this is one): I get a kick out of seeing an actor break character or address the fourth wall. Seen in comedies usually. I know many have complained about Horatio Sanz and Jimmy Fallon always giggling on SNL, for example, but I think it's hilarious. It makes me laugh more.  Especially when they are trying to deliberately cover it up or are pretty creative in quickly finding a way to incorporate it into a scene or make the transistion smoother.

I watch old Martin episodes from time to time, and it becomes obvious how much improvising Martin Lawrence did on the show when you see Tisha Campbell-Martin struggling to keep a straight face in so many of their scenes together.

• Love 3

For me it's the beloved character who starts out endearing but whose popularity apparently necessitates the writers turning up his "funny" character traits a thousandfold until I can no longer stand the sight of said character.  Sheldon Leonard and Barney Stinson come immediately to mind.

• Love 9

UO (I think this is one): I get a kick out of seeing an actor break character or address the fourth wall. Seen in comedies usually. I know many have complained about Horatio Sanz and Jimmy Fallon always giggling on SNL, for example, but I think it's hilarious. It makes me laugh more.  Especially when they are trying to deliberately cover it up or are pretty creative in quickly finding a way to incorporate it into a scene or make the transistion smoohter.

I love it, too.  I'm getting a little tired of the "interview" style of comedy, but something like you described is almost always amusing to me.  Don't forget The Carol Burnett Show where it happened fairly regularly (Unless you are a youngster who has never seen the show before :)

• Love 5

For me it's the beloved character who starts out endearing but whose popularity apparently necessitates the writers turning up his "funny" character traits a thousandfold until I can no longer stand the sight of said character.  Sheldon Leonard and Barney Stinson come immediately to mind.

See also Joey Tribbiani.

• Love 2

I watch a clip of them (Carol Burnett) all on a couch where Vicki Lawrence was "Momma." They were all barely holding it together when Tim Conway was talking about an elephant, and VL busted out just one line and they all literally feel over. Harvey Korman looked like he was choking. 

• Love 8

What does "oh the dialogue was *so* bad!" actually mean? Because it's another cliche pile-on for True Detective and I'm not really having a problem with the show. Both seasons were B grade crime noirs and I just don't mind. 

I think people tend to complain a lot when the show they are watching isn't the show they want to be watching. 

• Love 1
UO (I think this is one): I get a kick out of seeing an actor break character or address the fourth wall.

I always die seeing actors trying not to laugh. Some of my favorites:

The episode of Friends when Ross is playing the bagpipes, you see Jennifer Aniston absolutely on the verge of losing it, meanwhile Lisa Kudrow is next to her, earnestly playing her part, and I never fail to fall over laughing when I see it.

The first time that Chris Farley did his Matt Foley character, David Spade and Christina Applegate are struggling to not lose it onscreen.

Then on the X-Files episode Bad Blood, you see a scene where Gillian Anderson has to pause and cover her face because she's trying not to laugh.

• Love 2

Well, I think that XF scene is just as likely to be Scully cringing as Gillian covering her laughter (she broke character many, many times and they just used other takes; not sure why this would make it in).

But, to the general point, it doesn't tend to bother me, either.  Jerry Seinfeld took all manner of crap for his inability to listen to/deliver a line without laughing, no matter how many takes they did, but it almost always worked for me on the grounds TV Jerry would, in fact, laugh at such a thing.  Same with Roseanne Barr in the early seasons of Roseanne.

• Love 4

I watch a clip of them (Carol Burnett) all on a couch where Vicki Lawrence was "Momma." They were all barely holding it together when Tim Conway was talking about an elephant, and VL busted out just one line and they all literally feel over. Harvey Korman looked like he was choking. 

For your viewing pleasure, the elephant story.

• Love 10

I LOVE that episode! And I think that's Dick VanDyke in that skit, not Harvey Korman.

Saw the clip from my phone and it doesn't look like Korman.

Tim Conway was the instigator a lot, and he could usually keep a straight face.  My UO is why the heck are these shows not on TV.  Same with Johnny Carson.  I think both Burnett and Carson own the rights.

They are doing us a disservice though I have a soft spot for both.  That's why so many young people know so many TV characters over movie stars.  I love to watch reruns of Match Game because of all the nostalgia.

• Love 6

For me it's the beloved character who starts out endearing but whose popularity apparently necessitates the writers turning up his "funny" character traits a thousandfold until I can no longer stand the sight of said character.  Sheldon Leonard and Barney Stinson come immediately to mind.

See also Joey Tribbiani.

And Brittany S. Pearce and Sue Sylvester.

• Love 4

Tim Conway was the instigator a lot, and he could usually keep a straight face.  My UO is why the heck are these shows not on TV.  Same with Johnny Carson.  I think both Burnett and Carson own the rights.

Does it have something to do with the box sets that are being sold? Maybe there are copyright issues. I get so upset when I see "The Carol Burnett Show" on my Guide, turn to the station, and realize it's only an annoying infomercial. For some reason, I know I wouldn't enjoy the show as much on DVD as I would if I were watching "live" re-runs on TV.

• Love 2
(edited)

"Are you sure that little asshole's through?" DEAD.

ETA: Never mind, you guys got there first! 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2

I really liked Thirteen from House. What? Come at me, you wanna fight?

Seriously though, of the New Ducklings Olivia Wilde was one of the better actors, and since I started watching the show during Season 4 I never had issues with new people replacing the original team. Plus, she was a part of the Season 4 finale "House's Head"/"Wilson's Heart", which was easily the best season finale out of the run.

Sure, the always uneven show put her in some shitty plots (ahem, Foreteen) but she never got so fucking annoying as Taub (I don't give a shit about the adventures of his magical dick), Masters, or Park. And she had some great chemistry with House, in a platonic way. I still pull out "The Dig" from time to time just to remind myself what an amazing hour to television that was. It's a damn shame that Olivia Wilde left to do shitty movies because I could've used some more House/Thirteen palling around.

• Love 3

I'll go big here and say "Rachel Berry".

Rachel's job on Glee was to keep getting knocked down, then get back up again. It was done ridiculously, and written to make Rachel look stupid, and again I think there was a fan confusion between hating the showrunners and hating their flawed toy, Rachel. And maybe hating Lea Michele too, who in the real world started coming off more like an egotistical flake. But I never totally went off Rachel.

Rachel was the character who really drew me into the show and pretty much the only thing that kept me watching for as long as I did (I quit sometime during Season 4).

I'll also agree with those who say Brooklyn Nine-Nine's Gina. I think she's hilarious and while it's nice to see her be human every now and then, I hope they never feel the urge to soften her up too much.

• Love 1

Oh that was awesome.    Vicki Lawrence stayed totally in character when she busted out "sure that little asshole is done?" line.    That's why its so great.   Man they do not make jokes like that anymore.   The part about the siamese elephants had not on "below the part" part in it.  Proof you can be funny without being crude.

• Love 3

I always liked Jonas on SG1.  It seemed like viewers dumped on him simply because he was replacing Daniel.  I thought he was cute and funny and there was a lot of potential there.   Conversely, I could not stand the character that Beau Bridges played.  Heck, I can't even remember his name now.  He just grated on my nerves every time he was on screen.

• Love 3

I always liked Jonas on SG1. It seemed like viewers dumped on him simply because he was replacing Daniel. I thought he was cute and funny and there was a lot of potential there. Conversely, I could not stand the character that Beau Bridges played. Heck, I can't even remember his name now. He just grated on my nerves every time he was on screen.

I liked Jonas, too. And no one could replace General Hammond - not even if Colin Powell played the a character.

• Love 5

I always liked Jonas on SG1.  It seemed like viewers dumped on him simply because he was replacing Daniel.  I thought he was cute and funny and there was a lot of potential there.   Conversely, I could not stand the character that Beau Bridges played.  Heck, I can't even remember his name now.  He just grated on my nerves every time he was on screen.

There was no simply replacing Daniel about it.  The writers couldn't have set up a new character to fail on the departure of a popular character better had they tried. 

How to introduce the character replacing Daniel on SG-1? Have Daniel save a planet from a nuclear holocaust and then be accused of sabotaging the experiment causing the accident.  Then have the new character, responsible for the experiment, watch and do nothing while Daniel saves his planet, refuse to clear Daniel's name because planet destroying experiment might get cancelled, and then have an 11th hour change of heart.  The short is that Jonas 'killed' Daniel in a lot of viewers minds.  Not a great way to overcome resistance to the new character.  

Then add insult to injury by having Jonas be such a special Snowflake that he can read a couple books and master Daniel's expertise in history and role on the team.

But then they got the bright idea of using Jack to get the viewers through some kind of 5 stages of grief thing by having him resist Jonas being on the team and then come around which I think just cemented first impressions instead.

The show runners definitely took a lesson when they had to replace Jack by making Mitchell the biggest SG1 fanboy ever who got to lead the team because of flashback that revealed that he once saved all of their lives.  Frankly, they went too far in the other direction on that one.

• Love 1

On BSG it is a toss up between the much loved Col. Saul Tigh and the even more loved Kara Thrace. Both characters kept fracking up without learning their lessons until it was too late.

On Firefly I could never truly get into the Kaylee character and wasn't a big Wash fan either.

But the biggest ones for sure are the titular characters Buffy and Angel. I cannot rewatch either show due to my loathing of both...

• Love 3

Some of my favourite characters are ones that are generally disliked including:

ER - Lucy and Morris. I truly loved both these characters and their storylines.

The Middle - Axl. I do not get the Axl hate. He is a pretty good human being all things considered. But then again I do not understand the total adoration that Sue receives either.

BSG - Dualla. I really liked Dee and her relationship with Lee. (Until Lee turned adulterous asshole)

• Love 2

But the biggest ones for sure are the titular characters Buffy and Angel. I cannot rewatch either show due to my loathing of both...

I can ignore Angel and focus on everything else since David Boreanaz is such a block of wood on screen. So, the first few seasons are fine until Fred shows up and makes me throw things. And then at the end I'm ok again when she becomes Illyria.

However, it's hard for me to ignore Buffy. It's the voice, the mannerisms, everything. I still don't know how I watched all the seasons of Buffy to find out what all the fuss was about. I kind of get it but it has absolutely no rewatch value. Every time I hear that voice I have to turn it off. Doesn't help that the forced clever dialogue does NOT hold up.

I adore Drusilla, though.

• Love 3

I don't know popular it is, but I preferred Romana 1 to Romana 2- I actually liked the tension between Romana 1 and Four, and feel like they lost something by having Romana 2 mellow out as a consequence of her regeneration.

I don't think Romana 1 is hated, but there does seem to be a general preference for Romana 2 amongst Doctor Who fans.  However, like you, I prefer Romana 1.  I like how she tended to call the Doctor out on his superiority complex.  The dynamic of having another Time Lord in the Tardis was very different from the Doctor's interactions with other companions, and I appreciate it.

• Love 1

My UO:

I can't stand Empire. It's overrated and awful not to mention the music is brutal. Just awful.

Co-sign (well except I actually kind of like the music). But I finally gave in after just about everyone in my life asking me if I was watching and did a binge watch before the season finale and while it was okay, I was really baffled by all the buzz and especially all the critical love. The writing is very amateurish I found and it's pretty much a glorified soap opera in my opinion and in no way one of the best dramas on television. I am thrilled to see it wasn't nominated for the Emmy even though I'm sure some will be outraged and make it about the Emmy's never wanting to nominate anything different. But I'm sorry that show is not that great. Incidentally, after my binge watch, I never even bothered with the season finale. I just didn't care. 

• Love 3

Neal Cassidy from OUaT is a big one for me.

Same. I've been a very vocal Neal defendant since halfway through season two. I didn't like where they took his character in the second half of that season, but I never hated his character. I just found it unfortunate because the writers and showrunners wasted the character and I thought if the writers actually cared about writing for Neal, his path would have taken a different turn. I think his attitude toward magic and how it slowly changed was a good way to take things. But again, the writers didn't care about Neal. To them, he was 100% a plot device for Rumple's angst and Emma's as well. And then they wasted any Rumple/Neal growth and had the ridiculous triangle that can make me see why people didn't like Neal. But I don't blame the character because he was wasted potential and, at times, out of character from what Neal could have been like as a bitter adult. 

• Love 1
(edited)

My UO:

I can't stand Empire. It's overrated and awful not to mention the music is brutal. Just awful.

I gave up after the eighth episode.  Couldn't take the awful characters and the awful music so I won't be watching anymore. 

It wasn't nominated for an Emmy? I'm so glad. 

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 4
(edited)

No, the only nomination was for Taraji for Best Actress like many expected and I'll be annoyed if she wins. In my opinion, Viola Davis was far more impressive on How To Get Away With Murder. Yes, that show definitely had its issues as well but Viola knocked it out of the park every single time. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

No, the only nomination was for Taraji for Best Actress like many expected and I'll be annoyed if she wins.

In defense of Empire, even the diehard fans who love it and consider it must-see TV agree that the show is campy and soapy. And they enjoy it mainly for Taraji's performance and for the music. They recognize the drama among the brothers, the wives, girlfriends, and Terrence Howard for what they are: hacky plot points.

(I'm saying "They" because I'm only a casual viewer).

• Love 1
In defense of Empire, even the diehard fans who love it and consider it must-see TV agree that the show is campy and soapy.

Interesting because I've read many comments about the show deserving recognition but many expecting it not to get it because the Emmy's would never honor a show like Empire. There also many television critics and television publications declaring the show a deserving nominee for Best Drama so it seems there were many who thought it was award worthy. 

(edited)

I like Viola Davis a lot, but I could never get into her portrayal of Annalise Keating.  No doubt that the writing didn't help, but so often, I found her scenes...perplexing. I don't have to like a character, but it helps to find them intriguing.  Ultimately, I wonder if she was a miscast.  Though on a shallow note, I really wish we could have gotten more hot Billy Brown/Viola Davis scenes, and more of their relationship in general. 

ETA: As for Empire, I gave up around episode 5.  There was some discussion on how well done it was, which confirmed I needed to move on.  For me, there can be a distinction between entertaining and well-written, and even then, I didn't find it entertaining.  Empire is an example of a show with a (relatively) talented cast, but the writing is so ridiculous or tedious that I can't hang (see also: Orphan Black).   

Edited by ribboninthesky1
  • Love 2

I gave up after the eighth episode.  Couldn't take the awful characters and the awful music so I won't be watching anymore. 

It wasn't nominated for an Emmy? I'm so glad. 

I've seen one scene of that show. The one where Terrence Howard is telling his family they need to start contributing to the business, and then a woman walks in doing the most stereotypical 'sassy black woman' act I have ever seen (seriously, she might actually snap her fingers and bob her head, like she's in a Destiny's Child video), demanding to know where her slice of the money is. I don't know who any of the characters are, but assume she's Howard's ex-wife. I don't know what the background is or who's in the right and who's in the wrong. It doesn't matter. That clip made me laugh so much, and I'm just staggered that it's from a successful show.

• Love 7