Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

Sing it! GF and CR were great. And while we're wishing for things we won't get, maybe they could run Brilliant! and The League of Gentlemen again, instead of all those Star Trek TNG marathons.

Even better, some new stuff from British television!  I mean, if we're going to dream, might as well dream really big.

• Love 6

I actually stopped watching Game Of Thrones after the first season. It wasn't the rape that bothered me. It wasn't the gore or the violence. It was the depression. The outright saddening "You might as well get some Zoloft because this isn't going to get better" depression.

• Love 3

BBC America runs all their reality shows too damned much. But then I remember when they ran a variety of shows, and not just Top Gear and re-runs of the shitty American Kitchen Nightmares episodes. What I wouldn't give for Changing Rooms, Ground Force, or a re-run of Footballers' Wives.

That's not an UO in the BBC America thread.

Ovation, PBS, HBO, and Sundance air some British shows. Even E! has The Royals, and IFC The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret. I can't stand Cash in the Attic, but at least it's British. Does BBC America show Star Trek: The Next Generation all the damn time just because Patrick Stewart's English?

• Love 1

The problem with GOT is it completely lacks humor. Any kind. Dark, slapstick, anything. Dinklage has a few zingers, and Bronn can be funny once and a while. You look at Outlander, which is really dark and it's laced with humor. I think that makes a big difference, considering the kind of show you're producing. 

• Love 2

You look at Outlander

I'd rather not, thank you very much.

But I do agree that GOT could stand an injection of a little humor.  Just not too much, because, you know, the night is dark and full of terrors.  ;-)  Seriously, though, GOT is set in a very dark and troubled world, and more than an occasional touch of humor would spoil the atmosphere.  It's quite grim by design, and therefore I completely understand how that could be too depressing for a lot of people.  There were times in the past season where I thought about packing it in with the show (not the books because I have questions and I want answers, damn it) but I'll probably still be there next spring.  I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

• Love 1

It's unintentional though. The White Walker "come at me bro" to Jon Snow wasn't meant to be actually funny even though the entire internet was laughing at it. Even though it was hilarious. There's plenty of me laughing at the bad things happening because people are stupid. "You going out that hole, lady!"

I mean, some organic humor. I use Outlander as an example because it's a similarly brutal world, but there is that. GOT has some quips from Bronn or Dinklage, like once a year. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't know, comedy is so subjective. Personally, I found Outlander's humor somewhat charming, but not really funny per se. I think there's quite a bit of intentional dark humor in GoT and I find myself laughing out loud quite a bit when watching it. But, then again, I'm kinda twisted and weird, so...

ETA: I'm not really drawn to the zingers and stuff like that. One of the funniest scenes that sticks out in my mind from GoT is when they were having some sort of King's cabinet meeting and Peter Dinklage drags a huge chair across a room because there was no place for him at the table. For me, those are the kinds of things that are hilarious.

Edited by DittyDotDot
  • Love 6

Oh yeah, but it's few and far between and very lacking in this past season, which is why many people are dumping on the show suddenly. And only what? 4 characters get any actual humor in there? 

I'm defining humor broadly. The humor on Outlander is there though. Funny or charming. There's humorous aspects to some of the characters. If you're making shows like this, I think you need to inject some aspect of humor. I mean, the show is barely watchable. Everyone's like, ugh, I can't believe I made it through the season. 

It's been awhile since I've seen season 1, but the only rape I remember in the first episode was Dany's wedding night.  The dancers at the wedding seemed to be willing participants to me.  But I might be forgetting something.

Season 1 was Dany turning her RapeMarriage  (and I am not just blaming her husband for this her brother basically sold her into a loveless marriage for power)  into a RealMarriage.   It was a lot of rape but that was the storyline.   I'm an not sure how to put it and not sound offensive but turning a marriage based on  marital rape into something real which she did.  I actually liked the storyline and found it one of the more fascinating ones of the first season which is why I say I don't mind rape as a story device when it is used correctly.  I think the season 1 Dany storyline used it very effectively.  Which may actually be an unpopular opinion.  It never condoned it.  It just was.  

I don't care about Shark Week and am sick of all the ads for it.

But but the Sharknado movies are awesome!  Don't take them away from me.  

• Love 3

Despite not getting around to watching season 2 until a month ago (and not even all of it) and generally not liking the direction the USA network has taken and this show being the one that turned the tide....

I'm looking forward to, dare I say eagerly anticipating, the season 3 premiere of Graceland tonight.   That's got to be unpopular because no one has posted over there since November.

I think I'm coping with the recent rash of 'they killed him/her! or did they?'  Graceland is going to give me an answer to that question tonight, even if its about the wrong character(s).

I think GoT had bits of humor in the earlier seasons, but the problem is that for the most part there are just too many depressing things happening to all the characters for any of the humor to really last long. Hell, some of the more "humorous" scenes in the last season were between Tyrion and Jorah and that was right before they were sold into slavery. It's like the moment a character has a slightly light-hearted scene, things just get worse for him. And especially at the end of the last season, I don't think ANY of the characters are in a spot where humor is even possible. Which is unfortunate, because I need humor in my shows.

Despite not getting around to watching season 2 until a month ago (and not even all of it) and generally not liking the direction the USA network has taken and this show being the one that turned the tide....

I don't watch Graceland, but I'll piggyback off of your statement here and say that I hate the direction USA is taking, in that they're focusing more on drama instead of their comedy/drama shows. I know people made fun of how simple the premises of their shows could be and how the shows were fluff for the most part, but you know what? Sometimes I like fluff. I liked having something that was between drama and comedy, cause it's hard sometimes to go from soul-sucking shows like GoT and True Detective to pure comedy sitcoms. Don't get me wrong, I like watching drama and comedy, but it's nice to have an option that's in between. Sometimes I need to put a comfort show on like Psych. 

• Love 4

How's this UO.. I'm looking forward to the new season of Under The Dome...... I'm not even kidding.

I'll sit and have a beer with you at the unpopular table, I am too!  I adore Dean Norris, and I can't stop looking at Rachel Lefevre, desperately trying to figure out what they do to make her hair look so damn good!

I have what I think is a very unpopular Sopranos opinion: I don't hate AJ. Quite the contrary, I find the character intriguing and really enjoy his plots, especially in Season 6b. I actually think Rob Iler did a brilliant job, and managed to perfectly capture a very specific type of privileged teenage angst in ways that were at turns hilarious and moving. I was far more interested in AJ than Meadow, and thought Rob Iler was a stronger actor than Jamie Lynn Sigler as well. (To be fair, some of that was Meadow's know-it-all/sanctimonious tone, which I recognize was how the character was scripted.)

I'm watching on Amazon Prime and I'm now up to the middle of season 5, but so far I don't dislike AJ, I just dislike how Carmella coddles him then gets offended when he doesn't listen to her.  I really can't stand Meadow, and part of it has to do with Jamie Lynn Sigler's horrendous voice.  I do have what I think is a very unpopular Sopranos opinion...I like Janice.  *Whew* it feels good to get that off my chest.  Yeah she was manipulative, but I couldn't help but think that deep down she really did care about her family.

• Love 1

Yest. 5:29 pm

Oh yeah, but it's few and far between and very lacking in this past season, which is why many people are dumping on the show suddenly

I've read many reasons offered by viewers (both Sullied and Unsullied) for why they found Season 5 unsatisfactory, but this is the first time that I've seen lack of humor mentioned.  I'm not saying that you are in any way wrong to have your opinion, just that it's interesting. 

• Love 2

Here's a possible UO:

I have always, always liked Pamela Anderson. There is something about her that suggests that she's smarter than a lot of people would give her credit for due to her association with Playboy, and she's always come across as a very nice person in interviews, with a great sense of humor. She's okay in my book. 

I have always liked her.  Thought she was sweet & funny on a show where she worked in a book store.  Since I liked that show it was canceled.

• Love 2

I never made it more than five minutes into an episode of Baywatch, but loved her in V.I.P. which she coproduced and starred in. She was definitely in on the joke with that show, which was supposed to be silly camp humor. There are people out there who thought it was supposed to be serious drama, which I really don't get.

VIP was a fun series.

I have no idea what Jeremy Clarkson did. I don't really care. I just wish whatever it was, it was serious enough to make BBC America cancel the reruns of Top Gear too. 

Jeremy Clarkson is a racist, anti-American asshole.

• Love 1

I've had episodes of Friends on in the background lately and it's reminded me of a couple of opinions about that show. I didn't find the Joey character remotely attractive (thanks but no thanks on dumb guys), I loathed the Ross and Rachel relationship right from the beginning, before they even got into the "we were on a break" crap, and of all the bits on that show that didn't land, Fat Monica was consistently the laziest, least funny of them to the point that I dreaded an episode that put Courtney Cox in a fat suit. I thought that Fat Monica really showed off Courtney Cox's limited comedic skills. She did really well when the comedy was in her wheelhouse or when she was just playing the straight woman, but when she was going for the joke it seemed like she only had one volume and that volume was "ON AS HELL." In general I think that jokes about people's appearance are hackneyed, but she wasn't able to add any subtlety at all to her acting and so when combined with lazy writing, it just made Cox look incapable as a comedic actress.

• Love 11
(edited)

I've had episodes of Friends on in the background lately and it's reminded me of a couple of opinions about that show. I didn't find the Joey character remotely attractive (thanks but no thanks on dumb guys), I loathed the Ross and Rachel relationship right from the beginning, before they even got into the "we were on a break" crap, and of all the bits on that show that didn't land, Fat Monica was consistently the laziest, least funny of them to the point that I dreaded an episode that put Courtney Cox in a fat suit. I thought that Fat Monica really showed off Courtney Cox's limited comedic skills. She did really well when the comedy was in her wheelhouse or when she was just playing the straight woman, but when she was going for the joke it seemed like she only had one volume and that volume was "ON AS HELL." In general I think that jokes about people's appearance are hackneyed, but she wasn't able to add any subtlety at all to her acting and so when combined with lazy writing, it just made Cox look incapable as a comedic actress.

Mind if I sit at your table, BabyVegas?

I stopped liking Joey after the third season or so, when he went from being doofy but street smart to almost nightmarishly stupid. Not only was he dumb, but he was a jerk. He could dish out insults but never take them, and went through women like rubber bands. I hated the episode where he got on his high horse when Chandler kissed his girlfriend (you know, the one Joey was planning to unceremoniously dump anyway). Not that I'm saying that Chandler wasn't in the wrong, but admit it, can't you all see Joey doing that exact same thing, and all the time, as well? But the show later tried to paint him as some kind of secular saint, which annoyed me to bits.

On top of all that, Matt LeBlanc just isn't that physically attractive to me, and, boy, did he age badly, which made it even harder for me to believe any woman would give Joey the time of day. Bulging eyes (LeBlanc really overdid the mugging as time went on), over-tanned skin, pot belly, ill-fitting flannel shirts in addition to being a verbally incontinent buffoon (seriously, Rose from The Golden Girls would mock him), how in the hell did he get women to date him?

Giant word on Ross and Rachel. In the immortal words of Professor Proton from The Big Bang Theory, "What do you two talk about??" Yeah, sex is wonderful and all, but guess what? Somewhere down the line you get too old and tired for that shit, and then what do you have left? You have someone you've stupidly put on a pedestal and with whom you're completely incompatible! I'm usually a romantic, but I gotta say, I don't believe Ross and Rachel have any kind of a future (yes, that's a dumb thing to say about fictional characters, but I don't care).

The older I get, the more I agree that "Fat Monica" was a silly, lazy, and, yes, kind of offensive gimmick (especially since LeBlanc let himself go later on and no one called him on it). Courtney Cox was funny as prim, sensible, uptight Monica, not the shrilly unrecognizable, dimwitted shrew she later morphed into. Honestly, why did she scream "I KNOW!" at every opportunity? Why would practical, prudish Monica do stupid, embarrassing things like get cornrows, or go braless in public (uh, didn't she used to mock Rachel for dressing like this?)?

I also just want to state that I will always love Chandler, my favorite of the Friends... before he became an unfunny, Renfield-like whipped puppy in later seasons.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 6

Matt LeBlanc just isn't that physically attractive to me, and, boy, did he age badly, which made it even harder for me to believe any woman would give Joey the time of day.

That's interesting, because I think Matt LeBlanc aged into a fine silver daddy, or did you mean on the show? Matthew Perry, one other hand, just looks dissipated and tired.

However, Chandler was my favorite "Friend" too. I liked Fat Monica in the alternate universe episodes.

• Love 5

That's interesting, because I think Matt LeBlanc aged into a fine silver daddy, or did you mean on the show? Matthew Perry, one other hand, just looks dissipated and tired.

However, Chandler was my favorite "Friend" too. I liked Fat Monica in the alternate universe episodes.

On the show. LeBlanc has lost a little weight, and men can get away with the salt and pepper look, but he's still not my type in any way. However, LeBlanc on Friends?  Badly dressed, spiky-haired, beer-bellied, orange skinned, bug-eyed, dumber than a box of nails Joey? Are women in NYC really that desperate?? Don't you think wardrobe and make-up should have fixed him up a little to maintain the "Joey the Ladies' Man" image?

Matthew Perry, God love him, I think his past drug problems can be blamed for his current appearance, which is sad. But no one can take away my memories of the adorable, floppy-haired, sweater vest-clad Chandler from the early seasons.

• Love 4

It was also kind of unpleasant seeing fat Monica as a human punchline while Courtney Cox went from being the lovely girl she was when we first saw her to the extremely thin woman she became while she was making Friends. She says now that looking back she kept herself way too thin, but at the time she thought it looked great. I just can't twist the pieces of that in my head in any way that doesn't make it kind of a meanspirited joke.

• Love 5

My UO that will piss folks off.

I really like Poldark 2015.  I'd like to talk to people about Poldark 2015, not how it compares to the 1970's version or the book version.  If you don't like this version, then don't watch.  If you liked the book better, read the book; if you liked the 1970's version, then watch that one.  Don't go on and on and on about, "her hair's the wrong color" or some shit like that.  It's like GOT, people who complain that the TV show is different from the books.  If you want to read the books, then read the books, goodness.  

• Love 7

I just got my hands on Poldark because I liked the actor on Being Human. I think you also recommended Forever, which I ended up really enjoying. So I know I'll probably like this show too.

One thing about this place that is really good is that there's separate threads for book talk. 

• Love 1

Chandler annoyed the hell out of me, a lot of the time. There was a sharp edge to his humour that felt a little mean, when aimed at Joey or Ross. Monica was even worse. I actually genuinely disliked that selfish, neurotic, manic, shrill woman, for about the last four seasons of the show.

When I look back now, the only characters I liked consistently throughout were Joey, Rachel and Ross. And even Ross was barely tolerable when he was mooning after Rachel for the first few years of the show.

Giant word on Ross and Rachel. In the immortal words of Professor Proton from The Big Bang Theory, "What do you two talk about??" Yeah, sex is wonderful and all, but guess what? Somewhere down the line you get too old and tired for that shit, and then what do you have left? You have someone you've stupidly put on a pedestal and with whom you're completely incompatible! I'm usually a romantic, but I gotta say, I don't believe Ross and Rachel have any kind of a future (yes, that's a dumb thing to say about fictional characters, but I don't care).

I was never on board with Ross and Rachel. Didn't get it, found it tiresome, and I agree that they seemed totally, completely incompatible. The fact that the writers just threw them back together, in the final episodes, just to placate fans, really soured the finale for me. They made no sense at all. I thought that the writers had managed to do really well in moving both characters on from one another, to a place where they could have other relationships without being weird and jealous. Then... they were just back together again. Sigh.

• Love 3

I really like Poldark 2015.  I'd like to talk to people about Poldark 2015, not how it compares to the 1970's version or the book version.  If you don't like this version, then don't watch.  If you liked the book better, read the book; if you liked the 1970's version, then watch that one.  Don't go on and on and on about, "her hair's the wrong color" or some shit like that.  It's like GOT, people who complain that the TV show is different from the books.  If you want to read the books, then read the books, goodness.

This. I also really liked Poldark 2015. I watched during the UK run so there wasn't a whole lot of action in the forums then. I agree it is like GoT, which I have read the books, but I like that the show changes it up. I guess I wasn't really attached to the books that much. I get sick of the complaining also.

• Love 5

My feeling on Ross and Rachel is that while I didn't ship them, I felt once the writers knocked her up with his kid, they should have just put them back together. I mean for crying out loud at that point they'd been married (and annulled) and then were having a kid together. Just wrap it up. But instead they just kept dragging shit out, going as far as to pull that Rachel/Joey nonsense.

Now once they didn't put Ross and  Rachel back together at that point, then yeah the 13th hour reunion was just lame. But really shows, no matter how many complain, keep doing this same predictable, cliche shit. Mess with a couple repeatedly and show all the ways they're horrible together but once the end come throw them together in some half-assed, rushed reunion. 

• Love 6

But really shows, no matter how many complain, keep doing this same predictable, cliche shit. Mess with a couple repeatedly and show all the ways they're horrible together but once the end come throw them together in some half-assed, rushed reunion. 

And from there to an eternity of entertainment magazine thumbsucker articles about the perils of getting a couple together, as if it was the humans having a relationship that made people sour on the show and not, say, the years of watching them toss the idiot ball back and forth to each other while the writers found more and more ridiculous reasons to keep them apart.

Practically always because they learned the lesson of the last ninety seven shows which dragged out getting the couple together into an iron man event, which lesson clearly was that the people who make television don't find adult relationships very interesting and have no idea how to write them. Um. Moonlighting.

• Love 2
(edited)

And from there to an eternity of entertainment magazine thumbsucker articles about the perils of getting a couple together, as if it was the humans having a relationship that made people sour on the show and not, say, the years of watching them toss the idiot ball back and forth to each other while the writers found more and more ridiculous reasons to keep them apart.

Practically always because they learned the lesson of the last ninety seven shows which dragged out getting the couple together into an iron man event, which lesson clearly was that the people who make television don't find adult relationships very interesting and have no idea how to write them. Um. Moonlighting.

Ha! I'll raise you Warehouse 13 and How I Met Your Mother two of the worst cases I have ever seen. Warehouse 13 where the show spent the majority of the show outright saying how Myka and Pete had a sibling relationship and not a romantic one but then the final season how they were secretly in love and HIMYM had the entire show set around how Ted and Robin were wrong for each other but of course they were meant to be. Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4

I can't figure out if this is truly a writers' issue, or viewers' general preference for romantic angst.  Perhaps it's both.  I often read how established relationships are boring, but those are often my favorites.  I HATE romantic angst - cue Madeline Kahn! It's the major reason why I had to quit soap operas way back in my college days. The women in my family loved soaps, so I grew up watching them. But I just couldn't do it anymore.  

It may be that I'm not much of a shipper - I'll go with whatever pairing as long as there is reasonable chemistry and writing. The vacillation of TV romance is one of the few things I truly hate about the medium.   

Regarding Friends, I never thought any of the men were all that attractive.  But if I had to choose, David Schwimmer was the most attractive, especially when his hair was a little longer and wavy. I always thought Joey being a ladies' man was meant to be a joke.  But the character who ultimately annoyed me the most (which  surprised me): Phoebe. There's quirky and there's stank-y, and Phoebe crossed that line more than once for me.     

• Love 2

I like/love Fat Monica. I liked how Courtney (and the writers) played her as being quite happy. She wasn't some sadsacked and lonely person. I liked her feistiness. Anyways, I like that Monica wasn't one of those skinny female characters who ate all she wanted and was still skinny, i.e. that Gilmore Girl, Tina Fey, Grace on Will & Grace, etc. She worked at it--a lot.

• Love 4

I was never on board with Ross and Rachel. Didn't get it, found it tiresome, and I agree that they seemed totally, completely incompatible. The fact that the writers just threw them back together, in the final episodes, just to placate fans, really soured the finale for me. They made no sense at all. I thought that the writers had managed to do really well in moving both characters on from one another, to a place where they could have other relationships without being weird and jealous. Then... they were just back together again. Sigh.

I used to say this on the other site but the perfect place to close the book on Ross and Rachel as a couple was when Rachel "congratulated" Ross on his impending marriage to Emily. (It's actually one of my favorite serious moments of the series. I tear up when I see it.). Anyway, Ross was ready to move on and Rachel was ready to accept it. I believe the rest of the series still could have played out as it did without the all the will they/won't they drama as true love is not a prerequisite for getting married in Vegas or even having a baby together. They would always have baggage with one another, but "Ross and Rachel" as we knew it should have ended in London.

• Love 6

The reason why they pulled that garbage on W13 was because fandom was massively slashing Myka and Wells, and TPTBs hated it. imo

I literally had no idea that Pyka as a ship existed until after they shoehorned them together in the last episode. Up to that point, it was canon that they thought of each other like siblings.

I've always wondered since if the network didn't make a weird Pete/Myka hookup the cost of renewing for that last bit of a season.

• Love 1
(edited)

I used to say this on the other site but the perfect place to close the book on Ross and Rachel as a couple was when Rachel "congratulated" Ross on his impending marriage to Emily.

I thought that about that moment too. And was actually kind of happy they were "closing the book" and moving on. A similar one on Gilmore Girls in the last episode of Season Three Rory and Dean have a nice moment where she's showing him a catalog for him and Lindsay to pick out as a wedding gift. It was a good scene and a good, their both moving on. She's going to Yale. He's going to college and getting married. Sometimes, well many times shows don't know when to stop and move on.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 3

I loved Warehouse 13 but hated the finale so much. I'll never believe Myka would fall for a man child like Pete. I think Myka saw HG as a role model instead of a lover. I always thought that Myka was related to HG and that's why they were so alike. 

• Love 6

I loved W13 until the finale because until that last bit, they had great male-female relationships. Not just Myka and Pete as nonromantic partners, but the Artie-Claudia dynamic, and Claudia-Jinx, Artie and his age-appropriate girlfriend, Pete and Claudia, Myka and Artie...they all worked for me.

• Love 4

Re "Friends"- Just ONCE I'd have liked someone to have called them out on their nonexistent 'parenting'! Man do I hope those kids grow up to dump ALL the Friends in the cheapest nursing home they can find and show them all the love and attention they gave them growing up- NONE!

• Love 1

I loved Warehouse 13 but hated the finale so much. I'll never believe Myka would fall for a man child like Pete. I think Myka saw HG as a role model instead of a lover. I always thought that Myka was related to HG and that's why they were so alike. 

I stopped watching Warehouse 13 because of what an idiot manchild Pete was. I think it was an early season 2 episode, that began with them in a museum and he was just picking up everything and playing with it, doing stupid bits and using priceless antiques as props. And I just thought, 'god, this guy is developmentally impaired. He's a complete and utter moron'. I couldn't stomach watching him any more.

• Love 1

I literally had no idea that Pyka as a ship existed until after they shoehorned them together in the last episode. Up to that point, it was canon that they thought of each other like siblings..

It's kinda one of the few cases where I do think homophobia came into play and usually I baulk when others call writers and show runners out on it. I mean I understand that Wells and Myka were not the intended ship but a decade earlier Xena had Xena and Gabriele become a massively popular ship and instead of denying it the show played it up. They came damn close to making it cannon. A decade earlier. With Warehouse 13 they didn't have to make it cannon if they didn't want but my issue was they went in the other direction an made Pyka cannon.

• Love 1

Gray-Haired Matt LeBlanc: "I Dyed My Hair the Whole Time on Friends"

But LeBlanc has a big secret bottled up. "I dyed my hair the whole time on Friends," he admitted Thursday at a Television Critics' Panel in Beverly Hills for his new Showtime series Episodes. "I just was sick of doing it," LeBlanc explained of darkening his locks.

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't like Chris Colfer. By all appearances, he is a multi-talented young man, so I'm sure he'll go far (and already has), but there's something about him I don't like. I might be equating the real-life actor with the character -- Kurt -- on "Glee," but knowing that doesn't change my feeling. I hated Kurt on "Glee" (although not originally). I think it started when they started shoving "St. Kurt of Lima" down our throats and kind of capped off when they paired him with Blaine. Sorry, but Blaine was way out of his league.

I don't think you should judge a movie/show/book set in another time period by today's standards. Nothing makes me laugh more/annoys me more than people screeching about something that happened because what's unacceptable in 21st century society's "politically correct" environment was accepted or tolerated in a prior era. Also, the "word" "rapey" as used by some special little snowflakes to express their displeasure at some pairing or another diminishes the very real crime of rape.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 8

Speaking of period productions, I'm always amused that the protagonists often seem to be particularly progressive or enlightened.  They can be a little ignorant, but they will generally not reflect common attitudes of their time, especially racism or sexism.  But then, I think the past is romanticized a lot on TV, and it's why I've never been much of a genre fan. 

• Love 9

Speaking of period productions, I'm always amused that the protagonists often seem to be particularly progressive or enlightened.  They can be a little ignorant, but they will generally not reflect common attitudes of their time, especially racism or sexism.  But then, I think the past is romanticized a lot on TV, and it's why I've never been much of a genre fan. 

Outlander is the one where this made me crazy because you've got two people from the past and not the same era and both of them are acting enlightened vs. their own time period and a large portion of fandom gets up in arms about anything that even hints that modern attitudes aren't the norm in a period piece.  I'm going to caveat this to say that I don't have Starz so I'm only as far as free weekends allow which is

Jaime spanking/beating Claire and her 'I'll kill you' response after he rescues her from Blackjack in the 1B premiere

and not what I generally got a gist of happening later in the season which is likely a whole different thing. 

Speaking of that, the constant dirges over sexism on Game of Thrones is kind of the same thing to me.  GoT is basically a hodgepodge of medieval and ancient Western European history + dragons + abominable snow zombies.  Its not really a surprise that the show is sexist and female characters are getting abused.  Queen Elizabeth and Cleopatra only come around so often and not a great time period for women.  Yes, the show is fantasy and not historical but once GRRM didn't go completely original in his world building, the female characters' in large part were bound to get abused to a larger degree before everybody died.

• Love 5

I don't have a problem with GOT either from that pov because I think TPTBs for the TV show have played fair with the audience. However, I'm not privy to the books, but it seems like GRRM is really over the top on it. So I can get book/TV people being fatigued.

(edited)

GRRM can be OTT, but the showrunners go that extra mile. Honestly, sometimes to me it feels like the "different era" is just an excuse for the writers to get away with being gross, and I think Game of Thrones suffers from this. And while women seem to be affected the most, occasionally it goes in the other direction. The whole Margaery/Tommen bit creeped me out in particular. It wasn't even in the fucking books, for crying out loud. And I feel like they recast Tommen with an older-looking actor to make it seem less icky, but that mission failed spectacularly. Natalie Dormer apparently felt uncomfortable enough with the bedroom seduction scene from season 4 that she asked for some lines to be changed, and the young actor for Tommen expressed how uncomfortable he was with some of the season 5 stuff as well. It was all just so unnecessary. They should have kept Tommen little and had Margaery ply him with kittens, like it was in the books. Except that would violate D&D's prime directive, which is apparently "the more creepy sex and rape and bouncing boobs, the better."

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 7

My massive Friends UO is that my favorite character is Ross, and that's reinforced whenever I rewatch an episode.  I think David Schwimmer was always criminally underrated as a comedic actor, because Ross usually didn't get the best one-liners or the flashy things do to, but he consistently cracks me up.

• Love 8

Daredevil UO: Vincent D'Onofrio was the worst part of the show. About halfway through the season, I joked to my husband that he looked like a giant angry baby, with that bald head and big face. We couldn't stop with it. Awww the Baby Man Villain is mad! Wah wah.

• Love 5