Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

So people have confessed how constant, excessive hatred for a certain character can dampen their enthusiasm for watching the show (or at least chatting about it!), and it's made me realize that constant, excessive LOVE for certain characters can have the same effect on me.

I agree. Usually, how things sour for me is that I'll start out liking a character OK, but after hearing him/her gushed over nonstop for a while, the character will start irritating me more and more. And then, since that character is getting so much traction with a big, vocal segment of the audience, she'll start getting a bigger and bigger role on the show, while I begin to get more and more fed up with her. And eventually, it feels like the fan-favorite character has consumed the show and I'm outright disliking her, and the whole show sort of loses its shine for me.

Off the top of my head, that evolution happened with: Chloe on Smallville, Caroline on Vampire Diaries, Felicity on Arrow. I can't really join in with the intense fan love for uptight, kinda nerdy, romantically-hapless-but-nevertheless-beloved blond chicks. Those characters all seem pretty similar to me, and while they're all OK and fine to have as part of a show's cast, small doses of them go a long way imo.

But Idk, I actually really liked Lana (on SV) and Elena (on TVD) and Thea (on Arrow), so I guess I have a "type," too, it's just not the same type as that particular vocal segment of fans. Apparently, give a ~lost soul~ orphaned brunette teenager a bar or coffee shop to run and/or a sweet, committed, semi-secretly superhuman boyfriend and I'm totally on Team [Character]. :P

• Love 3

So people have confessed how constant, excessive hatred for a certain character can dampen their enthusiasm for watching the show (or at least chatting about it!), and it's made me realize that constant, excessive LOVE for certain characters can have the same effect on me. 

I cannot agree with this any more profusely. Even with characters I've genuinely enjoyed and loved, other people constantly praising them to the stars, glossing over any flaws, putting them on the highest of high pedestals has resulted in me resenting the characters in the end.

Felicity Smoak is a stellar example of this. I love the character, I enjoy everything about her and think EBR's performances are so much fun and bring so much nuance to the character. But the people who love her so blindly that they'll write a thousand word analysis to explain away a tiny flaw in her character came so close to ruining her for me (though having said that, the entire show is beyond salvage anyway, so whatever). Kate Beckett was the same, although the schizophrenic writing of her being all things to all men went a long way to doing that too.

As for Laurel Lance? Yeah, couldn't stand her. I knew it from about two or three episodes in. She just never fit, as far as I could see. Felt tangential and inconsequential, seemed  and her scenes always slowed the show down. The more the writers tried to force me to accept her, the less I was prepared to. Plenty of characters like that, sadly.

• Love 1

I think ultimately, there is always a risk of boards sort of developing a group think mentality and I think part of the reason is that an opinion becomes the dominant one and people who don't feel the same start to feel uncomfortable to express that and so more and more they are silenced and those who agree with each other sort of take over. And that manifests in the intense love just as it does in the intense hate and both sides have the ability to become very over the top and I absolutely agree that it can become a turn off, whether it's effusive love or over the top hate.

I have definitely found myself pulling back from places when it starts to feel like one character and sometimes the actor is just all things perfection and every week its long essays about their amazing talent and how amazing the character is and how perfect and "OMG, I can't love him/her anymore." And it's the same with the week after week of how awful this character is, how sick everyone is of them, etc. I think ultimately, it's not fun basically reading the same thing all the time. After awhile it does get incredibly repetitive and frustrating. 

• Love 15
(edited)

Hmm, perhaps my unpopular opinion is that if I find that fandom is affecting my enjoyment of a show, my instinct is generally to disengage with that aspect of fandom rather than turn on the show/character in question. Maybe it's because I'm not that heavily involved in fandom anyway (I don't even have a Tumblr for crying out loud), but there have definitely been occasions where I've backed away from forums or other online discussion areas of certain shows because it just wasn't fun for me anymore. And it's not because I necessarily disagree with the talk either: the Arrow forum is probably the best example actually. Despite the fact that I'm actually with the majority there in that I love Felicity and don't particularly care for Laurel, I rarely visit anymore because I find the hyperbole and extremism displayed toward both the characters and the show (which, if you go by what's said in there, is basically the worst thing to ever air on television at this point) created an atmosphere that drove me away.

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 12

Hmm, perhaps my unpopular opinion is that if I find that fandom is affecting my enjoyment of a show, my instinct is generally to disengage with that aspect of fandom rather than turn on the show/character in question. Maybe it's because I'm not that heavily involved in fandom anyway (I don't even have a Tumblr for crying out loud), but there have definitely been occasions where I've backed away from forums or other online discussion areas of certain shows because it just wasn't fun for me anymore. And it's not because I necessarily disagree with the talk either: the Arrow forum is probably the best example actually. Despite the fact that I'm actually with the majority there in that I love Felicity and don't particularly care for Laurel, I rarely visit anymore because I find the hyperbole and extremism displayed toward both the characters and the show (which, if you go by what's said in there, is basically the worst thing to ever air on television at this point) created an atmosphere that just wasn't enjoyable for me to visit.

That's what Once Upon A Time has become for me.  

• Love 3

I have definitely found myself pulling back from places when it starts to feel like one character and sometimes the actor is just all things perfection and every week its long essays about their amazing talent and how amazing the character is and how perfect and "OMG, I can't love him/her anymore." And it's the same with the week after week of how awful this character is, how sick everyone is of them, etc. I think ultimately, it's not fun basically reading the same thing all the time. After awhile it does get incredibly repetitive and frustrating.

This is giving me flashbacks to TWOP's Supernatural board.  I quit watching the show, and reading anything about it since I lost interest.  But, back in its heyday, the fandom could be too damn much.  Actresses who auditioned for that show must've received warnings about how intense the fans were. I remember pages of discussion about whether or not Sam sleeping with Ruby was rape since Ruby's soul was in a dead girl's body.

(edited)

I like discussing my shows on groups like this.  Its interesting to find out what other people think and to say what I do.  Sometimes its just snarky comments.   Sometimes you even learn something or see something you missed watching yourself.   I agree certain fandoms  have gotten out of control.  Sometimes I just find another site to go.  Other times it does no good.  Personally I don't think a group disliking (or luuuving) a character is enough to get me to stop watching a show I love.  Now if its a show I am not sure about........ it may be the tipping point to deciding.

Is it an unpopular opinion that I always thought Supernatural was overrated.

Add Grimm to that too.  I tried I really tried but....no.   

And I like Laurel Lance from Arrow.  Honestly I think she is the only character I still like 

Both are usually  in my wheelhouse but....no.  

Edited by Chaos Theory

<Character> is awesome. <Character> is awesome because pretty much everyone on the show says so. <Character> is awesome because she's a mega super genius, she has all the mad skills, she clearly spends two hours a day at Pilates, she's got a BMI of 3 most of which is breast, she's a stealth badass, she's cruelly misunderstood by some of the people around her but only because they're not good people, and did I mention that pretty much everyone on the show loves her? 

Unlike you. You don't love her. But it's not because she's a blatant fanservice male gaze caricature of a woman played by an actress who struggles to express the concept of understanding her lines. You don't love her because you're a self-hating misogynist.

• Love 7

Sex scenes and expletives don't bother me much.  I'm way more disturbed by graphic violence.  I get that sometimes, there is a point to be made.  But often, it feels more gratuitous than sex or curse words.  

Seeing people kiss makes me more uncomfortable than seeing them have sex.

• Love 1

Speaking of violence, seeing people get beat up is worse to me than shooting or stabbing. All I can think is "Ow!" and then wondering how sore the person is, how are they functioning after the fight. Some shows got really bad with one character getting beat all the time. Seemed like Jesse kept getting beat every other episode on Breaking Bad at certain times.

(edited)

I think ultimately, there is always a risk of boards sort of developing a group think mentality and I think part of the reason is that an opinion becomes the dominant one and people who don't feel the same start to feel uncomfortable to express that and so more and more they are silenced and those who agree with each other sort of take over. And that manifests in the intense love just as it does in the intense hate and both sides have the ability to become very over the top and I absolutely agree that it can become a turn off, whether it's effusive love or over the top hate.

This 1000 times, is what drove me away from the Mad Men forums both at TWoP and here. Buck the hive and you were in serious trouble. It's as if there are some forums where the price of admission for being allowed to post is swearing an oath beforehand not to say anything that counters the boards consensus of what is an acceptable opinion.

Edited by Snowprince
  • Love 1
This 1000 times, is what drove me away from the Mad Men forums both at TWoP and here.

You'd think Jessica Pare singularly imploded the acting profession. Maybe the character she was playing was unlikable and kind of entitled? 

I'd really like to know exactly what "bad acting" is. Because I've never been like, "I can't watch this show because the actor is so bad."

• Love 2

I'd really like to know exactly what "bad acting" is. Because I've never been like, "I can't watch this show because the actor is so bad."

Watch Scott Elrod on The Young and the Restless and you will know exactly what bad acting is :)  He sounds like he's reading his lines, shows no expression whatsoever, and is EXTREMELY monotone.

• Love 1

Watch Scott Elrod on The Young and the Restless and you will know exactly what bad acting is :) He sounds like he's reading his lines, shows no expression whatsoever, and is EXTREMELY monotone.

But is he shirtless? The dude who plays Toby on Pretty Littlle Liars is a questionable actor but the first few seasons he made up for it with shirtless scenes which had their own hashtags,

• Love 1

But is he shirtless? The dude who plays Toby on Pretty Littlle Liars is a questionable actor but the first few seasons he made up for it with shirtless scenes which had their own hashtags,

haha not nearly enough ;-)

Personally I don't believe in calling anyone a *bad* actor especially if they are young and inexperienced. I call them "questionable." Many of them do improve with experience. Calling them *bad* actually hurts enjoyment of the show because when they do improve you won't let yourself see it because they are already bad actors in your mind.

I agree bad acting is somewhat in the eye of the beholder,  and shirtlessness or someone extremely attractive can distract from bad acting. Still, the latter doesn't work on me much anymore. I guess, in my age, shirtless 20somethings on TV are just a dime a dozen.

For me, the acting falls on its face when an actor delivers lines and they have no effect on me, when something is dramatic and I'm either not engaged or it has the opposite effect and I giggle. When the story the actor needs to portray doesn't engage me, when I go in my head, but what is s/he saying with this? Jim Cavaziel on Person of Interest is one of those for me. I sit there and  just go, huh? I can see how he is good-looking and all but he is about as engaging as white bread to me. I don't care about him, his struggles (does he even?) or anything. He's mildly amusing when shooting kneecaps but that's not acting. He seems more like set decoration for what really goes on.

Then you see someone like Walton Goggins on Justified who I don't find attractive at all but I can't look away. I've seen neither of them before but they are like night and day when it comes to how they engage me.

Good writing and direction can help somewhat lesser actors but overall, I don't find it that difficult to see when someone's line deliveries just sort of go......splat.

I've stopped watching shows right away when the lead actors were just not up to the job. Some just can't keep up the quality when they are in almost every scene in a show. Some rely on their looks too much and you can always tell when someone is very inexperienced.

Often it also helps when acting opposite another actor. For example, Jennifer Garner was pretty good in Alias and she managed to pull me in when she found her fiance in the bathtub even though I found her voice rather grating and the plot completely preposterous but when she was opposite Victor Garber, she absolutely shined. And over a very short time, she got so much better.

If you have to FF through someone's scenes, I question why even watching a show, especially, if it's a major character. I do suspect that some people just watch a show for some eye candy but I'd rather watch a show because I like the whole of it. Eye candy is nice, but I wouldn't keep watching if that was all there is.

• Love 1

I watched the first episode of Orphan Black, was singularly unimpressed, and never watched another episode.  My life doesn't feel incomplete.  (Or maybe that should be 'dually unimpressed' since the friend with whom I watched it felt the same way.)

• Love 4

The first character introduced on Orphan Black is my least favorite clone of all of them. She (Sarah) gets a little better but her speech habits really grated om me for over a season.

I would still highly recommend the show, though. The rest of the characters are awsome+++, at least through Season 2, and it is one of my favorite shows.

For truly bad, laughable acting, the woman who stars in Blacklist took the prize for me. I can only speak about her performance in Season 1; because I had to quit, but I would wager that if you chose any two random scenes from Season 1 with her in it, and played them back to back, you would not see any difference in her acting or get any context clues from her whatsoever.

• Love 2

I couldn't make it through the first season of Orphan Black.  Alas, not even nekkid Dylan Bruce was enough.  It's one of those shows where the actors, good as they are, couldn't save the writing.  I hope Tatiana Maslany has a long and prosperous career, but if I find a show tedious, I'm out.  

Thinking on it further, I'm much more likely to give up on a show if it seems poorly written, even if the actors are great.  Actors can elevate the material, but that only goes so far. I can overlook less than stellar performances if I'm interested in the story. Plus, acting is such a subjective thing - what is great to someone might be unimpressive to me, and vice versa.         

For truly bad, laughable acting, the woman who stars in Blacklist took the prize for me. I can only speak about her performance in Season 1; because I had to quit, but I would wager that if you chose any two random scenes from Season 1 with her in it, and played them back to back, you would not see any difference in her acting or get any context clues from her whatsoever.

Don't forget those Dog awful wigs!  I tried to watch Blacklist because James Spader chewing up scenery is quite the pleasure for me, but I could only make it through a few episodes because of her. 

• Love 2

I watched the first episode of Orphan Black, was singularly unimpressed, and never watched another episode.  My life doesn't feel incomplete.  (Or maybe that should be 'dually unimpressed' since the friend with whom I watched it felt the same way.)

The first couple episodes were pretty mediocre for me, as well. But I stuck with it and got drawn into watching one person play a bunch of distinctly different characters--I found it fascinating from that stand point--plot-wise the show is pretty so-so, though, IMO. I'm not sure how much longer the master acting class will keep me watching though, still haven't been motivated to get started on S3.

• Love 2

Megan Boone the lead female on the Blacklist is the prime example of a weak actor who I think gets better half way through season 1 and holds her own in season 2. She is a young actor with minimal experience and I think this is her first lead roll. She shows improvement which is all I ask for. Not all questionable actors do.

(edited)
The first couple episodes were pretty mediocre for me, as well. But I stuck with it and got drawn into watching one person play a bunch of distinctly different characters--I found it fascinating from that stand point--plot-wise the show is pretty so-so, though, IMO. I'm not sure how much longer the master acting class will keep me watching though, still haven't been motivated to get started on S3.

Yep, I struggled to get through the first two eps or so as well, mostly because the clones hadn't come into play yet. I said earlier upthread that I liked the show well enough, but that's all thanks to Tatiana. She freakin' carries that show; the writing OTOH is all over the place IMO. Great acting usually isn't enough to keep me hanging to an otherwise mediocre/badly written show either, but what Tatiana was doing was to me singularly impressive, I couldn't not watch. Even so, I'm with you, I don't know how much longer I'll tune in or when I'll even get started on the season 3 because the writing became even messier over the second season.

It does make me wonder how the show would have fared if someone else had been cast as the lead. 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 2

We just started watching The X-Files. I'm enjoying the story lines and characters, but, and I'm sure they improve over time, the acting is horrible.  Just....wooden.  It's not enough to make me stop watching, though (I would need a combination of bad characters and story lines as well as acting for me to give it up).

We just started watching The X-Files. I'm enjoying the story lines and characters, but, and I'm sure they improve over time, the acting is horrible.  Just....wooden.  It's not enough to make me stop watching, though (I would need a combination of bad characters and story lines as well as acting for me to give it up).

I shudder to think of going back and watching the first season of The X-files. In my mind it's very much a product of it's time (early '90s). As I recall, they find their legs fairly quickly, though and everything starts to gel by the end of the first season. There's some really cheesy stuff in the first season though. Oh hell, if I'm honest, they've got some really cheesy stuff throughout the whole series. Still though, I have a real stop spot for this silly show!

• Love 2
(edited)
I'm enjoying the story lines and characters, but, and I'm sure they improve over time, the acting is horrible.  Just....wooden.  It's not enough to make me stop watching, though (I would need a combination of bad characters and story lines as well as acting for me to give it up).

I shudder to think of going back and watching the first season of The X-files. In my mind it's very much a product of it's time (early '90s). As I recall, they find their legs fairly quickly, though and everything starts to gel by the end of the first season. There's some really cheesy stuff in the first season though.

These comments reflect exactly where I am vis-a-vis Farscape.  Somewhere on this forum (wish I knew where), people urged me to have patience with the first season.  It probably took me two months (?) to get through the first five episodes.  Even now, toward the end of the first season, I think there is some pretty horrific acting (although slightly improved) and some very cheesy stuff going on (a lot of which I attribute to the time).  Yet I've given up thinking that quitting is an option.  I don't know why, when, or how I started to enjoy the show despite the acting, but I do.

Megan Boone the lead female on the Blacklist is the prime example of a weak actor who I think gets better half way through season 1 and holds her own in season 2. She is a young actor with minimal experience and I think this is her first lead roll. She shows improvement which is all I ask for.

You sound so kind, Chaos Theory.  Certainly kinder than I.  There are a handful of people I won't give second chances to and MB makes the cut.  My UO about inexperienced actresses is that I never hated the woman who played Scarlett in Nashville.  I thought she showed signs of improvement over the 1st season.

I'm totally on board the Tatiana Maslany Orphan Black train, but I don't think she's the only talent.  I love, love, love Mrs. S for some reason and am trying to watch The Tudors because of her (Maria Doyle Kennedy).  I also love Felix (Jordan Gavaris).  I'm only in Season 2, though.  Maybe we should have a stragglers' watch party for Season 3.

Edited by ToxicUnicorn
  • Love 1

I'd recommend an Orphan Black second look. If the story line isn't what one typically goes for, I'd suggest looking at it as experimental television. Seeing one actor play 7 parts is certainly original. Plus, don't deny yourself some Fee. 

• Love 2

Everyone needs a little Fee.

I so agree with you all about Orphan Black.  The story is pretty ludicrous, especially season 3 with the Castors, but Tatiana Maslany is outstanding.  When you look at a character and know that it is not Allison (for example) but Sarah pretending to be Allison you know you are watching a superb actor.

• Love 2

Yeah, throughout the first season I kept thinking I should look up the actress that plays Allison or Cosima or Helena or....oh yeah, they're all the same actress.

I also agree with the poster above about the whole cast being great too. If the actual plotting could hold up to what the actors do with it, the show would be something mind-blowing, IMO.

• Love 4

I almost gave up on Orphan Black myself thinking it was just a cop drama with a interesting twist. But it quickly resisted that to my delight. The show takes a few episodes to find its stride but once it does it is well worth it.

• Love 1

Well, I think part of it was that I just wasn't particularly interested in the concept either.  It was on BBC America (after Doctor Who, I think), so I gave it a shot but it didn't grab me at all.

I'd recommend an Orphan Black second look. If the story line isn't what one typically goes for, I'd suggest looking at it as experimental television. Seeing one actor play 7 parts is certainly original. Plus, don't deny yourself some Fee. 

The whole concept is something that doesn't interest me at all, no matter how good the acting.  Plus, I found Felix profoundly annoying.  So I won't be trying again with Orphan Black.

• Love 5

Well, you're really missing out on a truly unique show. There's a lot of same on tv and this is in it's own universe. Not the best show ever. The plot is out there for sure, but the characters are one of a kind even if 10 of them is the same person. 

When you look at a character and know that it is not Allison (for example) but Sarah pretending to be Allison you know you are watching a superb actor

Or Alison being Sarah while Sarah is being Rachel. TM has this locked down, but I have to give due to AM for the Castor boys. What makes it work I think is Mrs S, Fee, Art, and Delphine being such grounding forces for the clones. Fee alone having to play off each of the different clones is a feat.

• Love 2

Eh, if people aren't into Orphan Black, they aren't missing out on anything.  If you like the show, that's perfectly fair.  But, and not just with this show, I have a serious aversion to the "best show you're not watching/nothing like this on TV/you're missing out" spiel.  Speaking for myself, I got through about 8 episodes, and Maslany's brilliant performances weren't enough for me. I don't like being told, whether implicitly or explicitly, what I (or anyone) should watch.

I'm open to recommendations, and willing to give a show a shot, but if I don't like a beloved show, I just don't, and I'm fine with that.  

But like I mentioned upthread, good acting on its own isn't always enough for me to stick with a show - a balance of storytelling and acting is key for me.  Either one being off-kilter can dissuade my interest.       

• Love 20
(edited)

Well, you're really missing out on a truly unique show

Maybe so, but truly unique doesn't necessarily mean good, or at least, not a good fit for everyone.  I don't like conspiracy shows - that's why I eventually drifted away from the X-Files, where I vastly preferred the 'monster of the week' type episodes - and don't find the clone thing all that unique, actually.  But other people like the show which means it's reaching an audience that appreciates it, so good for it.  It's just not my cuppa.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 9

Eh, if people aren't into Orphan Black, they aren't missing out on anything.  If you like the show, that's perfectly fair.  But, and not just with this show, I have a serious aversion to the "best show you're not watching/nothing like this on TV/you're missing out" spiel.  

[...]

I'm open to recommendations, and willing to give a show a shot, but if I don't like a beloved show, I just don't, and I'm fine with that.  

There's so much to watch out there anymore I just can't imagine feeling like I missed out on something. And, really, it's not like it won't be available at some point in the future if I change my mind.

• Love 1

It often just felt like the writers were mentioning things again (...and again...and again...) to remind us that they recalled former scripts.

This reminded me of my related unpopular opinion; I hate "callbacks" and I hate the culture of always finding callbacks to previous minor things. Big things OK, but the "oh that was a callback to that time in season 2 when he lifted that thing off the table, isn't that wonderful" just annoys me. Probably it's because I'm too stupid to remember every episode, line, and nuance of season 2 when I'm in season 7!

Seeing people kiss makes me more uncomfortable than seeing them have sex.

I don't mind watching the kissing, but I despise the sounds added to a kissing scene. I swear I've never kissed anyone and had it sound like it does on TV.

This is me, too. Unless it's particularly wooden, or different from something else I've seen the actor in (David Tennant in Gracepoint vs Broadchurch, for example), I can't tell bad acting. People say "he/she wasn't a good enough actor to pull off that scene" while I'm thinking "that scene was great!"

I can't tell bad acting. People say "he/she wasn't a good enough actor to pull off that scene" while I'm thinking "that scene was great!"

I do the other thing.  I think I can tell bad acting, but if the acting is good, I almost always am in a state of uncritical suspended disbelief.  Then I'll get to the forums and people will talk about this plot hole or that inconsistency and I'll have completely missed it.  But, hey, that's half the fun of reading the forums, for me.  I like being around so many smart people.

• Love 3

People say "he/she wasn't a good enough actor to pull off that scene" while I'm thinking "that scene was great!"

Same here.  It's also the same with me for the shows in general. I'll think "that was a great episode!" and get to the forums and almost everyone is talking about how much it sucked.  Oh well......

In regards to good/bad acting:  I give kids a huge break.  Yes, some young actors are better than others, and sometimes the writing for them is awful--they're either written too old or too young for their character's ages--but I don't hold that against them.  When I hear people going on and on about how bad kids' are in tv shows that center around kids or families with kids, I wonder why they are watching the show in the first place.

• Love 3

I am working my way through Better Call Saul, and my unpopular opinion is that I am fascinated by Chuck, Chuck's story, and Jimmy and Chuck's relationship. I think this is a UO because there is a lot of "Chuck is boring" on the forums I've read.

• Love 1

Part of the problem though is people are complaining in real-time about something, and then you look at the show as a whole, and the plot works. Everything must be summarily judged immediately and everyone has to have a opinion right now. 

Is it that much different than the water cooler, though? Granted people couldn't really seek out a real life water cooler where their own opinion prevailed, or spend all day hovering by the water cooler to respond to everyone who doesn't agree with them, but as long (long, long) as I can remember talking about it the next day was half the fun of TV.

• Love 3