Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Katy M said:

I have honestly never even heard of this show, but I'm surprised, if it was popular with women that some other network didn't pick it up.  Advertisers love advertising to women.

I was talking about the Dresden Files on SyFy so its happened at least twice.  The demo for young men is the hardest to reach (supposedly).  So there are shows that have been cancelled because they didn't delver that demo and the audience they did deliver was thought to be reachable a different way at a cheaper cost.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

At least it doesn't come with a high-decibel  wrapup show conducted at a breakneck pace by a feverishly overexcited host with guests, call-ins, contests, prizes and  a screaming live audience.

You mean there's no Talking Saul?! What a shame. 

1 hour ago, ParadoxLost said:

I was talking about the Dresden Files on SyFy so its happened at least twice. 

It's happened on that network like 572 times. 

• Love 3
On 9/10/2018 at 10:43 PM, Madding crowd said:

On top of that, most discussion has to be about some connection to Breaking Bad and if you forget one little thing about a show you saw years ago, you are judged as not knowing enough and are referred to a  Breaking Bad Wiki Page.

I loved B.B. and it was a wonderfully written show. But there were a lot of characters and I can’t remember the life story of every one. And I think you can have an opinion on Saul without it having to refer back to B.B.. 

So much this. To be honest, I don't believe that all these BCS watchers remember every single character and their story arc (if any), I think they look it up after the ep so they can come to the boards with all their knowledge!!  I'm annoyed every time I read something similar to "I was so excited when I saw Big Dude!  He was the one in season 4 episode 7 who saw Walter and Jesse doing something something and then got killed!" Obviously, my unpopular opinion is I'm far less interested in the story lines on BCS that are not about Jimmy.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, MaryPatShelby said:

To be honest, I don't believe that all these BCS watchers remember every single character and their story arc (if any), I think they look it up after the ep so they can come to the boards with all their knowledge!! 

There's no question. It's a good show, but I'm flummoxed as to why there is so much obsession over every line of dialogue. It is inevitable that BCS is going to overlap with Breaking Bad, and I do appreciate TPTB maintaining a strong overall continuity in the universe they created. But, hey, just watch the show. 

• Love 4
On 9/5/2018 at 7:36 PM, ParadoxLost said:

I'm not sure which season was the last watchable season of Great British Bake Off was but the show has sucked for several seasons now.

The challenges got much less impressive.  They either changed the time constraints on the bakers of they are running out of talented home bakers.

They changed the channel, changed the hosts, changed the judges.  Still plenty of home bakers, but no-one wanted to watch anymore.

On 10. 09. 2018. at 3:43 AM, roamyn said:

Yeah, I never “got” him, either.  To me, Jimmy Fallon is the same...”me, me, me” and seems snobbish.

I also heartily dislike Conan.  Not the man, but his ‘comedy’.  He’s not the least bit funny.

Then again, I like Jimmy Kimmel (have since The Man Show), and most people dislike him.

I find Fallon intolerable because he’s such an ass kisser. Most hosts flatter their guests, but he takes it to a whole new level.

I gained appreciation for Kimmel when he was dealing with his son’s health issues and spoke eloquently and from the heart about a huge problem.

• Love 16
34 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I find Fallon intolerable because he’s such an ass kisser. Most hosts flatter their guests, but he takes it to a whole new level.

I am right there with you.   Was purely flummoxed how he got the Tonight show gig.  He comes off as rather juvenile to me. 

And I don't know if it this is unpopular opinion or not, but I also hated how he'd constantly break on SNL during a skit.  I know some people found it charming or just funny in a "well it is Jimmy Fallon' *shrug* way.  But I found it annoying.  The 'More Cowbell' skit, I can forgive because that shit was funny.  The sight gag of Will Farell's gut hanging out of that too tight shirt all by itself is funny.   But there were times when he'd break and what he was giggling over wasn't even remotely funny.

By contrast,  I loved it when somebody like Tim Conway or Carole Burnett would break because they were so top tier and when they broke it felt so organic that it became part of the bit itself.  But for Fallon it seemed after awhile to be disingenuous and a little too precious.

• Love 14

I don't know how unpopular these views are, but since they are on popular shows that someone must be watching :

Steve Harvey sucks.  In everything.  Especially as host of Family Feud, but also in pretty much everything he hosts.  And has nothing to do with mixing up the name of a winner.  He is just awful, dull, not funny, bland. 

Bill Maher is not edgy or original in any way.  Most of his views are standard liberal viewpoints, or at least anti-Republican, even if he claims to be libertarian or some such nonsense.  Even beyond that though, this is the format of his show :  invite on one guest he knows will disagree with him, then have 2 or 3 other guests he knows will agree with him and all just beat up on the one person by sheer volume.  I pretty much don't like either major party.  But I also don't like Bill Maher and find nothing of interest in what he says. 

In terms of Better Call Saul, its a good show.  I live it.  But its far from the best or most interesting show on TV.  Plus from the beginning I just imagined it in a whole different way and I am disappointed in what they have done.  Its not my show and obviously its doing well, so who cares about my opinion, right?  Well I will give it anyway, have mentioned it on the discussion boards before.  I don't need the whole backstory of Saul Goodman.  Saul worked on Breaking Bad because he was the spunky comic relief, a big of light heartedness and breath of fresh air in an otherwise very serious show.  On Better Call Saul, now admittedly I have not watched this season so maybe I am wrong lately, they pretty much bottle that up and keep it from happening.  The first few seasons, sure I could see that, give it some time for him to grow into Saul.  By now, though,  I imagined he'd pretty much be Saul, we could enjoy the Saul we knew from Breaking Bad and he would have all these crazy new and interesting characters cases he would be running into and dealing with because that is who he would attract to his law practice.  Instead, we get a 4 season feud with his annoying brother and more of the same characters from Breaking Bad.  I loved Breaking Bad, but I really don't need much more of it.  Probably why I am not watching this season. Better Call Saul pretty much just takes the great character we know from Breaking Bad, sucked us in, but then has made him into a different character from before he evolved that I don't find nearly as interesting or as much fun. Which I think is why they have to depend so much on the Breaking Bad connections because otherwise, I would have little interest in the show. 

I thought BCS would be much more of a, even though I kind of hate the word, Dramedy, rather than more pure drama.  And they had the opportunity to expand the Saul universe much more than they have so far, quite easily, rather than relying to heavily on Breaking Bad callbacks.

And on that note as well, I like the show Atlanta, but I don't consider a comedy or that funny. If its supposed to be a comedy, and is getting nominated in the comedy categories for awards, then those are bad choices.  And yes, I know its more a dark comedy.  And I am not asking for a laugh track and yuck yuck jokes.  I know subtle comedy and complex comedy.  I watch plenty of shows.  But I also know just from a comedic standpoint, Its Always Sunny in Philapelphia, which has never been nominated for any major awards, the show or the actors, is much funnier than anything I have seen on Atlanta. 

• Love 6

Hmm Dr. Spaceman,

Too bad there's no way for me to 'like' just the first half of what you said (re Steve Harvey and Bill Maher) but reserve   'disagree/no comment' options re Better Call Saul and Atlanta. IOW, I'd like to give you a 'half like'!

• Love 6
15 hours ago, bijoux said:

And look out if the guest says something even remotely funny. Fallon finds it so hysterical that mere laughter isn't enough. He spins in his chair , doubles over and is almost in tears.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, Blergh said:

Hmm Dr. Spaceman,

Too bad there's no way for me to 'like' just the first half of what you said (re Steve Harvey and Bill Maher) but reserve   'disagree/no comment' options re Better Call Saul and Atlanta. IOW, I'd like to give you a 'half like'!

That's a bit half-hearted of you . . . 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Brookside said:

That's a bit half-hearted of you . . . 

Well, isn't half a heart better than none? In any case, I did agree with the doc's assessments of Messrs. Harvey and Maher.

Oh, Orillia you sound a bit spot on re Mr. Fallon! He makes Arsenio Hall seem to have been downright frosty to his own guests (and Ed McMahon's 'chortles' to even the lamest of Carson's puns seem genuinely spontaneous).

• Love 3

I remember that Arsenio was always acting intensely interested in what ever the guest was saying no matter what the subject. He'd be on the edge of his seat , leaning right in so he wouldn't miss a word. You'd think he was hearing the meaning of life instead of the finer points of watching paint dry or some equally exciting subject.

• Love 7
On 9/6/2018 at 6:23 PM, Hanahope said:

I just started a free Hulu month, so watching The Handmaid's Tale.  I reached the episode where she's in the old Boston Globe offices and finds a DVD of Friends.  It reminded me how I hated that show.  I would literally scream if my only form of 'entertainment' was a Friends DVD.  

That made me laugh. And then realize that it there was no TV anymore I had access to, I'd be crying grateful tears if I had the opportunity to watch any episode of Friends. Or of anything, really. It's all relative.

• Love 8

I still like Conan, but I swear his interviewing skills are getting worse with age (dude, let your guests finish a damn sentence!). Also, is he legally obligated to have Bill Burr as a guest every week?! I liked Bill Burr a long time ago, but now he's one of those insufferable, middle-aged white dude bros who piss and moan about how hard it is to be a middle-aged white man in America nowadays... while in same breath bitches about how women and other "snowflakes" need to stop complaining so much. Shut up, asshole! 

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Blergh said:

Hmm Dr. Spaceman,

Well they are unpopular opinions, so 2/4 isn't bad. 

Obviously BCS is doing just fine despite my view of how the show should have gone. 

And no one asks my opinion about the Emmy's either.   But that gripe about "best comedy" goes back a long way.  It started when The Simpsons was never allowed to be nominated in the category back in the 90s despite being, at the time, at the very least the both the second most critically beloved and commercially successful comedy behind Seinfeld. (Some would say it was even better than Seinfeld at the time, but whatever, doesn't matter).  Cartoons were not eligible.  At the time, that was just the Simpsons, there were no others. 

Then Ally Freakin' McBeal comes along and wins an emmy for best comedy.  And the actors/actresses get nominated in the comedy category.  You can't tell me Ally McBeal was better than The Simspons, in any way, shape or form, or was any more of a comedy than the Simspons at the time.  But cartoon, sorry, no nomination.  What a joke

I wouldn't even argue about the actors/actresses.  I know voice acting is not the same. 

So its more about just the general problem with the category going way back than just Atlanta and its recent wins. 

Again though, no on cares what I think.......so not like me whining will change anything.  And The Simspons did win Emmys in the Animated program category. 

I just always found it odd, to win the Best Comedy award, it was more important that you not be animated than it was to be funny, which most people would consider the essence of comedy

• Love 4

I absolutely detest all the Netflix superhero shows like Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, The Defenders, & Iron Fist. I hate them so much they actually make me angry, but my SO watches them all the time. I don't understand how anybody could like them, they're badly written, badly acted, & so many actors on the show speak in the same whispery low voice it drives me crazy. 

• Love 6

I didn't realize this was an unpopular opinion until recently... 

I don't correlate how a character dies to how showrunners feel about the actor. There was a season premier where a character was killed off screen in what would be a terrifying way IRL but I didn't think the writers hated the actor and gave them a terrible off screen death. I figured the actor wasn't available and this was an interesting, albeit very sad way, to write out the character.

I also didn't think Zara's death in Jurassic World was sexist or uncalled for. Horrifying, yes. In a movie about dinosaurs attacking and eating people it fit. If it was random pterodactyl that appeared in the middle of The Notebook I'd wonder WTF but I enjoy the shock of a non villian tertiary character not making it to the end in these movies. It's a nice change from the obviously gonna happen Hoskins death by raptor. Then again I'm also the person who bawled during Fallen Kingdom (the entire movie) over the [CGI] dinosaurs [in a fictional movie] being mistreated.

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I didn't realize this was an unpopular opinion until recently... 

I don't correlate how a character dies to how showrunners feel about the actor. There was a season premier where a character was killed off screen in what would be a terrifying way IRL but I didn't think the writers hated the actor and gave them a terrible off screen death. I figured the actor wasn't available and this was an interesting, albeit very sad way, to write out the character.

I also didn't think Zara's death in Jurassic World was sexist or uncalled for. Horrifying, yes. In a movie about dinosaurs attacking and eating people it fit. If it was random pterodactyl that appeared in the middle of The Notebook I'd wonder WTF but I enjoy the shock of a non villian tertiary character not making it to the end in these movies. It's a nice change from the obviously gonna happen Hoskins death by raptor. Then again I'm also the person who bawled during Fallen Kingdom (the entire movie) over the [CGI] dinosaurs [in a fictional movie] being mistreated.

I also don't feel like on particularly violent shows where tons of people die, it is misogynistic when women die, or racist when blacks die, or just simply shouldn't be tolerated when women of color are killed.  I also don't think it's misogynistic when women on shows make decisions that aren't in line with current feminist thinking.

• Love 13
58 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I also didn't think Zara's death in Jurassic World was sexist or uncalled for. Horrifying, yes. In a movie about dinosaurs attacking and eating people it fit. If it was random pterodactyl that appeared in the middle of The Notebook I'd wonder WTF but I enjoy the shock of a non villian tertiary character not making it to the end in these movies. It's a nice change from the obviously gonna happen Hoskins death by raptor.

IIRC, the actress wanted a big, awful death scene and had fun filming it. 

My UO of the day:  I don't care if a show runner doesn't get every single little thing about a particular decade right.  So what if a song is played that wasn't released in real life a couple of years later, or a minor bit of slang or a saying wasn't used then, etc.?   As long as most of it is true to life and as long as the mistakes aren't glaringly obvious, I can hand wave it.

• Love 19
3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

My UO of the day:  I don't care if a show runner doesn't get every single little thing about a particular decade right.  So what if a song is played that wasn't released in real life a couple of years later, or a minor bit of slang or a saying wasn't used then, etc.?   As long as most of it is true to life and as long as the mistakes aren't glaringly obvious, I can hand wave it.

I don't either. Since I grew up in ye olden times, I do like comparing to my memories and seeing what they get right and wrong but when it comes down to it, it does not affect my enjoyment of the show.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, festivus said:

I don't either. Since I grew up in ye olden times, I do like comparing to my memories and seeing what they get right and wrong but when it comes down to it, it does not affect my enjoyment of the show.

It only affects my enjoyment if it's something truly egregious. IE, someone taking a flight to Europe in the 1850s.  OK, I don't think I've ever seen anything quite that ridiculous unless it's sci-fi and an AU.  But, I can't think of any actual examples, but I know that there have been sometimes when something was just too anachronous. 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

It sure looked like it would have been fun to film. . If I was ever in a Jurassic Park movie I'd want a big memorable dramatic death too.

3 hours ago, festivus said:

When watching Stranger Things or the Americans I couldn't tell you if a song from the 80s was happening during the right year. It would stand out if Nirvana or Pearl Jam was on the soundtrack for a show set in 1985 but other than that? Bring on the nostalgia. I posted in The Americans thread that the one thing that bugged the crap out of me was the obviously new McDonalds building. The bag and containers were accurate but the building interior and exterior down to the painting on the carpool lanes was current.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

It only affects my enjoyment if it's something truly egregious. IE, someone taking a flight to Europe in the 1850s.  OK, I don't think I've ever seen anything quite that ridiculous unless it's sci-fi and an AU.  But, I can't think of any actual examples, but I know that there have been sometimes when something was just too anachronous. 

Tom Hanks had to stop filming the variety show scene in That Thing You Do, in order to explain to the young extras playing the audience that in the 50s, head banging wasn't a thing.  Had he left it in, that would have been a good example. 

• Love 17
3 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

Tom Hanks had to stop filming the variety show scene in That Thing You Do, in order to explain to the young extras playing the audience that in the 50s, head banging wasn't a thing.  Had he left it in, that would have been a good example. 

That's pretty funny, actually.  There's a clip on YouTube with the kids from Young Sheldon, and the host is asking them if they know what the props on the show is used for.  They largely did not.  And, this has nothing to do with TV, but along the same line when I was in HS, the minister of our church was having an anniversary, so our Youth Group put on  a little skit about how he decided to go to seminary and our group leaders had the kids playing his friends giving him a hard time about his future and one of them said "what are you going to do?  Work at McDonald's?"  And the leader said "That wasn't really a thing back then?"  I think we left it in, though, because the way the kid said it was just perfect.  

• Love 2

The guys that make Stranger Things are on the younger side but they obviously love the 80s so it doesn't really bother me the things they get wrong and they do a really good job with the show. I can remember clothes and food and music like it was yesterday but slang, not so much. I will pretty much use any slang I like, I don't care if it's from yesterday or 1930. I also steal from British slang so everything has become muddled for me over the years. So if they get slang wrong, I'm not likely to notice. Also there are young people like my son who watch it and to them the 80s is the 80s. Like it's just one thing so they don't really care if the song doesn't go with the year. They're just happy when they can catch a reference they know from some "old" movie or something. ;)

I like the head banging story, that is funny.

Edited by festivus
Something didn't look right.
  • Love 2

Another "period" show I totally fell in love with, through reruns is The Goldbergs. I couldn't tell you if the song they play or the fashions they have line up with the year but I can tell you that I had the same posters, same video games, same outfits in the 80s and it makes me happy.

8 hours ago, Katy M said:

I also don't feel like on particularly violent shows where tons of people die, it is misogynistic when women die.

I'll go one further. I don't think it's misogynistic to have a woman brutally attacked at the start of L&O SVU. The entire premise of the show involves dealing with "especially heinous" crimes.

8 hours ago, Katy M said:

I also don't think it's misogynistic when women on shows make decisions that aren't in line with current feminist thinking.

Same. And not all yelling / snippy behavior is being a harpy shrew or turning a character into a harpy shrew.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

When watching Stranger Things or the Americans I couldn't tell you if a song from the 80s was happening during the right year.

I'd say just keep it divided between early 80s and late 80s and it's good enough. It's not so hard to figure out what song was what year generally. You might not know when Flock of Seagulls was hot, but you hear it and it's clearly early 80s. 

I think the slang would be a challenge. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

Another "period" show I totally fell in love with, through reruns is The Goldbergs. I couldn't tell you if the song they play or the fashions they have line up with the year but I can tell you that I had the same posters, same video games, same outfits in the 80s and it makes me happy.

I'll go one further. I don't think it's misogynistic to have a woman brutally attacked at the start of L&O SVU. The entire premise of the show involves dealing with "especially heinous" crimes.

Same. And not all yelling / snippy behavior is being a harpy shrew or turning a character into a harpy shrew.

The Goldbergs helps themselves because they make it clear that its just set "in the 80s" but leave it very vague when in the 80s.  They even say its "1980-something" and jump around in pop culture time.  They aren't trying to make it 100% accurate. 

I guess some see that as bad, but I don't mind it. 

• Love 3

IMO, if a program of any kind is to be retro, PLEASE pick ONE year to start it out on then add to it as time goes on because if the show lasts more than one year, things can get quite muddled re timelines of characters, outside world,etc.

Case in point: Happy Days. It was initially supposed to be set 'in the 1950's' but in the first season, they bounced around back and forth from one episode to the next going from having the Elvis and Rock & Roll being a brand new phenom (c. 1955) to Hawaii being admitted as as state (1959) then back again. Meantime, Richie and his pals were supposed to be high school sophomores who'd just gotten their drivers licenses. THEN the show went on for   twelve years with Richie barely making cameo appearances  but having graduated high school, then college then the Army and the timeline supposedly sometime the mid 1960's but everyone in 1980's feathered hair (and virtually nothing mentioned about pop culture or world events whatsoever) .

• Love 2
16 hours ago, memememe76 said:

I like Jennifer Love Hewitt and enjoy her on 911.

4 hours ago, WritinMan said:

I have not seen 911, but I also like Jennifer Love Hewitt. People seem to give her too much crap.

We're friends with someone who worked on the crew of Ghost Whisperer and he said that everyone, himself included, loved working with her.  Said she was really nice and had a great sense of humor.

• Love 11

I have not seen 911, but I also like Jennifer Love Hewitt. People seem to give her too much crap.

Me, too.  She's not the greatest of actresses but she's far from the worst either, and she always comes across as likeable.

• Love 14

I've always liked her, too. I remember her being everywhere in the late '90s when I was a teenager :). I thought she fit in really well on "Criminal Minds" a few years back. 

• Love 5

I've only seen Hewitt in a few things, and nothing in quite some time, but I've never understood the strength of sentiment against her.  She's no master thespian, but she certainly doesn't make me think, "Why on earth do people cast her?!"  She's just sort of there, so I don't understand getting worked up about her. 

At the time she was becoming well known, I was friends with someone who had known her back in Texas and whose mom was still friends with Hewitt's mom.  He said she was nice.

And I like the way she handled herself with all the body shaming that got thrown her way, and at a young age.

• Love 16

I don't watch any of the shows she's been in beyond maybe a few episodes of some of them but I did like her in the movies she did in the 90s. She seemed perfectly pleasant to me, I never understood the hate. She was the Jami Gertz of the 90s.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, festivus said:

I don't watch any of the shows she's been in beyond maybe a few episodes of some of them but I did like her in the movies she did in the 90s. She seemed perfectly pleasant to me, I never understood the hate. She was the Jami Gertz of the 90s.

I figure that why Jami Gertz never got the JLH treatment  is because of her non threatening body and the prejudice that JLH only got her initial push because of the shape of her breast.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Blergh said:

the timeline supposedly sometime the mid 1960's but everyone in 1980's feathered hair

Like Margaret on MASH.  It always bugged me that they didn't even try to look like they were living in the 50s.

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

Canned laughter doesnt  always bother me.  It depends on the show.  A good show you actually don’t notice it.  A bad one or when the jokes don’t hit...you do.

I think I'll agree with that.  If you're laughing along, or at least think it's funny, it seems natural. Otherwise, you hear the stupid laughter, and you're like "how is that funny?"  Also, I think shows where they have  the laughter every other line is kind of noticeable.

• Love 9
On 9/4/2018 at 10:18 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I think I finally pinpointed why I really hate Mike from Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul: nothing ever goes wrong for him. He plans something, it works. He wants something, he gets it. He does something, it goes off without a hitch (or the hitch is small and easily corrected). 

I liked Mike on BB, but his portrayal on BCS is now making me not care much for him on BB...his saving grace for me is that I like the actor.  

On 9/11/2018 at 1:41 AM, Anela said:

I haven't watched BB for five years, but rest assured, there will always be someone with a seemingly photographic memory, to correct my mistakes, if I quote something wrong, or just have a bad memory.

I have done probably 5 or 6 rewatches of BB & I still remember things wrong :)

• Love 3
On 9/26/2018 at 6:57 PM, theredhead77 said:

I don't like The Goldbergs, but I'm with you about the 80s stuff.  My teenage years were during the 80s (graduated HS in 1986), and I can not remember enough to nitpick about something like "hey, they didn't wear those jeans in 1983, they were popular in 1984!"

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Canned laughter doesnt  always bother me.  It depends on the show.  A good show you actually don’t notice it.  A bad one or when the jokes don’t hit...you do.

Most of the time I don't notice the laugh track. I actually find it a lot less irritating than the "live studio audience". 

On 9/26/2018 at 10:44 AM, Shannon L. said:

I think I mentioned it before, but the worst example of this was the scrutiny over whether the logo on a grocery bag was accurate for the year in Better Call Saul.  I just can't care that much. I will say sometimes the shows do it to themselves, like Mad Men would make a point over demonstrating that it's say November 3, 1966 by showing something on TV or referencing an event. But a show that's generally evoking a time period like Stranger Things, I don't think they are going for such accuracy. Even with Mad Men though, as long as the song was around that year and not super out of place, I'm good.

• Love 4