Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

I’m liking the second season of True Detective—I’m on episode four. I resisted watching it for 3 years because so many people hated it. Yeah, its a little heavy on the tropes and cliches, but I find Rachel McAdams and Colin Farrell far more compelling than Woody and Matthew ever were. 

In contrast, I couldn’t get into season 1 at all. The first episode both repulsed me and bored me to tears. 

• Love 3

I'm 3 episodes into the first season of GLOW and there has been nothing about it that makes me want to keep watching.  Should I give it a few more episodes?  Does it take a while to really get interesting and funny?

• Love 2

Cooking/baking shows where taste and cleanliness are not the most important judged elements. I get something looking good is important, but when judges dismiss something they said tasted great due to presentation, I give them the side eye.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

I'm 3 episodes into the first season of GLOW and there has been nothing about it that makes me want to keep watching.  Should I give it a few more episodes?  Does it take a while to really get interesting and funny?

I tried watching it and got about that far, too. I gave up. I just didn't care about any of it. I'm old enough to remember the real GLOW, but I still didn't care. I felt like I should, so I watched. I still didn't. I don't like Marc Maron, so that didn't help the show's case.

Because I watch quite a bit of TV/streaming content/etc. I attempt to do a somewhat regular inventory (every six months at least) of what I watch and make a hard decision about what to cut or keep. If I don't love or really like the show, I cut it. The first week without watching feels like, "I can't believe I'm not watching The Show! What will happen to Character?" but I've forgotten about it the next week. Eventually I think, "Why was I slogging through that every week?"

Or I'll watch a first season of a show and when the next season is about to premiere, I just feel tired at the thought of expending energy on watching the show again. I know then it needs to be cut from the rotation.

• Love 5

I was around when GLOW was real! Also I was about 12 or 13 at the time, so thank you.  Because we didn't have internet. Tip your waitress!

I've been wanting to catch the show, but I have a long line of shows. 

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 8:50 PM, 2727 said:

I don't particularly like Alison Janney as an actor and am sour that she wins award after award (87 if I counted correctly) over more deserving people.

I like her okay as an actor, but I don't like when the same people win the same awards year after year. Same with JLD.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Sara2009 said:

I actually like Hilary and David on “ Love it or List It.” Their banter amuses me.

I don't mind their banter but every dang show follows the same script.  Hillary promises the moon and then because of unforeseen problems with the construction she must start slashing plans.  Meanwhile David shows the couple several homes that they immediately hate and recite scripted criticisms.  Most of the time the couple chooses to love it and Hillary gloats.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I don't mind their banter but every dang show follows the same script.  Hillary promises the moon and then because of unforeseen problems with the construction she must start slashing plans.  Meanwhile David shows the couple several homes that they immediately hate and recite scripted criticisms.  Most of the time the couple chooses to love it and Hillary gloats.

You’re right. In fairness, I don’t watch every single episode.

• Love 1

I just marathoned a re-watch of Burn Notice. I love how the series was wrapped up. Maddie sacrificing herself for "her boys" (Nate, Michael and Charlie) felt right inline with her character growth and redemption for the choices she made when Michael and Nate were younger.

• Love 3
On 7/29/2018 at 11:49 PM, SmithW6079 said:

I've been watching reruns of "Futurama," and the beginning of the recording usually catches the last minute or so of "Scrubs," and I've come to realize I hate the pretentious "ruminations on life as seen in this episode" as some whiny ballad plays. Specifically, I hate Zach Braff's JD, but it has since expanded to include any show that engages in this overused plot device (although I did make allowances for "The Expanse").

JD was easily the most annoying character on Scrubs, which makes me surprised the med schook episodes after he left weren't better.

On 8/2/2018 at 9:07 PM, kiddo82 said:

Bob's Burgers does the best tribute/nostalgia episodes of any show on TV. (at least of the shows that I watch)

Greg Daniels also co-created Parks and Recreation and you can really see a lot of similarities between Pawnee Indiana and Arlen Texas.

• Love 1

I just happened upon this the other day   but I don't get the thinking behind the title of the show Pickler and Ben. OK,  I know that Miss Kellie Pickler is likely more known than Mr. Ben Aaron but what's the deal with it having her surname and his given name instead of using both surnames or both first names? 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

I just happened upon this the other day   but I don't get the thinking behind the title of the show Pickler and Ben. OK,  I know that Miss Kellie Pickler is likely more known than Mr. Ben Aaron but what's the deal with it having her surname and his given name instead of using both surnames or both first names? 

Maybe so it doesn't get confused with Kelly & Ryan even though there's the Kellie/Kelly difference?

• Love 2
On 8/23/2018 at 3:50 AM, Jaded said:

Maybe so it doesn't get confused with Kelly & Ryan even though there's the Kellie/Kelly difference?

Possibly but wouldn't have using Mr. Aaron's surname as well as Miss Pickler's also done the trick?

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I don't understand when people ask, "how can these people afford this house/car/life?"  People usually ask this regarding House Hunters.  I don't get it, do people want to see tax returns?

When it's an under 30yo couple buying a $million+ house?  Yes, yes I do. ;)

• Love 24
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

When it's an under 30yo couple buying a $million+ house?  Yes, yes I do. ;)

When it's a couple with them wanting a four bedroom house with granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, double bathroom sinks, a full sized pool and each bedroom having its own balcony overlooking the beach and the house itself being right smack on the beach- yet the couple's currently unemployed but plans to eventually open a yoga studio/ taco stand to somehow maintain payments on all that, I think the realtors and audience should be curious about whether they have any idea of if their water fountain budget can support their champagne dreams!

• Love 15
6 hours ago, Blergh said:

When it's a couple with them wanting a four bedroom house with granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, double bathroom sinks, a full sized pool and each bedroom having its own balcony overlooking the beach and the house itself being right smack on the beach- yet the couple's currently unemployed but plans to eventually open a yoga studio/ taco stand to somehow maintain payments on all that, I think the realtors and audience should be curious about whether they have any idea of if their water fountain budget can support their champagne dreams!

It also makes me fantasize about them having a trust fund or rich parents who still support them. I have a friend whose parents AND uncle gave her and her husband large lump sums of money as wedding gifts—and it made me jealous. LOL. 

• Love 7
On ‎08‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:33 PM, Neurochick said:

I don't understand when people ask, "how can these people afford this house/car/life?"  People usually ask this regarding House Hunters.  I don't get it, do people want to see tax returns?

It's the ridiculousness of freelance yoga teacher & person who sells his/her art on Etsy buying houses costing several hundred thousand dollars that make us question it.

• Love 15

I liked the second season too. The storytelling got a little wandery at times, and I don't think LA was a great choice for the locale, but it was just fine. People were expecting the same thing as the first season, which wasn't ever going to happen. It's not even remotely as bad as it was made out to be. 

I hope season 3 is nothing like the other two either. 

• Love 1

I didn't think the second season of True Detective was bad so much as it was boring which is worse to me. I made it through about 3 or 4 episodes, I can't remember. I honestly fell asleep during every one, and I love Colin Farrell. I'll give season three a try someday, I don't get HBO anymore.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ganesh said:

I like watching Better Call Saul. It's a really good show. But wow it is overscrutinized.

Ever since social media EXPLODED, I find every single show and movie, past and present and those not yet shown, overscrutinized as well as being nit picked to death.

• Love 24
19 hours ago, ganesh said:

I like watching Better Call Saul. It's a really good show. But wow it is overscrutinized.

6 hours ago, ganesh said:

This is another level though. 

It really is.  I can't read anything about the show anymore.

• Love 1

I find it astonishing how, in this "woke" day and age, where we're so much more aware and critical of sexual harassment, bullying, and toxic masculinity, there isn't a total backlash against characters like Mal and Jayne on Firefly

I just... I can't... short-circuiting here...

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I find it astonishing how, in this "woke" day and age, where we're so much more aware and critical of sexual harassment, bullying, and toxic masculinity, there isn't a total backlash against characters like Mal and Jayne on Firefly

My, I'm sure, extremely unpopular opinion is that I don't care.  I love Firefly.  I like Mal, although he's a very flawed person.  Jayne isn't mean to be anybody's hero, so that fact that he's often a creep isn't a problem for me, either.

• Love 10
12 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

There is a backlash with some sectors, and their is a resurgence in others. The "red pill" and Men's movement to name a few. Speaking as a girl (because I am one) "toxic masculinity" is too encompassing of traits that are positive. Mal was rough around the edges for sure, but even watching clips now, he trusted Zoe implicited, and had no problem dumping his male mechanic when he saw that Kaylee was far more talented. Jayne was no hero, and the dandy Simon and religious Book was there to balance him out. 

• Love 9
On 8/31/2018 at 4:42 PM, Ohwell said:

It really is.  I can't read anything about the show anymore.

Sometimes the dialogue is just dialogue. If TPTBs put hidden meaning into every single line there wouldn't be a show. 

It speaks to the larger context of not letting a show just be a show. Either it has to be the greatest in the history ever or it's absolutely terrible.

It seems like so much effort. I don't watch mindless shows, I like smart shows. But I also like to enjoy watching the show too. 

• Love 9
14 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

My, I'm sure, extremely unpopular opinion is that I don't care.  I love Firefly.  I like Mal, although he's a very flawed person.  Jayne isn't mean to be anybody's hero, so that fact that he's often a creep isn't a problem for me, either.

I haven't watched Firefly (out of protest that it was cancelled even though I hear it's amazing and I should watch it) but this is my overall thoughts on older shows. I can't even get worked up over the constantly re-surging "Ross and Rachel are the worst!" or hop on the "remove the Confederate Flag and rename the General Lee" from the Dukes of Hazzard band wagon. I know I ranted about this before but I don't think shows from 'back in the day' shouldn't be viewed with the 'current day' filter, unless it's in some sort of TV and Film analysis class. It doesn't mean what happened was right, or wrong but they were products of their time.

• Love 15

Firefly is a good show. It's not nearly the best thing ever as it's made out to be, and I think it's early cancellation gave rise to some legend that never was. Farscape was way way better so I do have some bias there. I thought Fringe and Dollhouse were better than Firefly.

I don't think you can beat the opening theme though. 

• Love 7

Re: Firefly -- I think I can overlook some of the things Mal and Jayne do and say because of all the strong, independent, downright badass women on the show.  I would not want to be on the bad side of River (who can kill you with her brain), Zoe, Kaylee or even Inara.  They were all forces to be reckoned with in their own ways.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ganesh said:

Firefly is a good show. It's not nearly the best thing ever as it's made out to be, and I think it's early cancellation gave rise to some legend that never was. Farscape was way way better so I do have some bias there. I thought Fringe and Dollhouse were better than Firefly.

I like Firefly a lot but I adored Dollhouse.  In terms of pure enjoyment, I place Dollhouse second to Buffy on my list of favorite Whedon projects.  It brought Enver, Dichen, and Fran into my life, and their characters were awesome, and I liked seeing Eliza leave her comfort zone (Faith type characters).  Oh!  In addition to the UO about Dollhouse the show, another I have is that I thought Eliza was solid as Echo.  She did seem a bit raw at the beginning but it was clear she worked had and I thought she grew into the role quickly and very well.  If it had gone beyond the second season I think she'd have continued to improve. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ganesh said:

Really? I never was on those boards. I watched after it was cancelled. It was on the same time as Farscape.  

Yeah I remember people hating on the song. I thought it was awesome and fit the show very well. I know both of my sons will bust out that song every once in a while and they were young when Firefly was airing. So it obviously has some staying power anyway.

• Love 1

I thought disliking Firefly was the UO? Well, in any case, my opinion earlier was short-sighted, and I apologize to anyone I may have offended.

I will never apologize for disliking Firefly and everything about it, though. That UO I will defend to my last breath. :)

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 6
On 9/2/2018 at 10:18 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

The backlash against that show, Mal in particular, happened a couple of years ago but people kind of shouted the backlash down. The worst of the misogyny on that show thankfully never aired. According to Tim Minear, Joss Whedon pitched the show to him ("these are the kinds of stories we're going to be doing") by telling him about a scene where Inara would inject herself with a drug when the ship is boarded by Reavers and they abduct her. When Mal and the crew tracked Inara down they were going to find the Reavers laying dead on the floor. Inara had been gang-raped by the Reavers. The drug she used weaponized her vagina. Mal is so blown away by Inara's sacrifice that he kisses her hands and for the first time calls her a lady (after having spent the entire show calling her a whore). Tim Minear thought this was so amazing it's why he signed onto the show.

Honestly, I'm happy the show got cancelled before it could do that.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, slf said:

The backlash against that show, Mal in particular, happened a couple of years ago but people kind of shouted the backlash down. The worst of the misogyny on that show thankfully never aired. According to Tim Minear, Joss Whedon pitched the show to him ("these are the kinds of stories we're going to be doing") by telling him about a scene where Inara would inject herself with a drug when the ship is boarded by Reavers and they abduct her. When Mal and the crew tracked Inara down they were going to find the Reavers laying dead on the floor. Inara had been gang-raped by the Reavers. The drug she used weaponized her vagina. Mal is so blown away by Inara's sacrifice that he kisses her hands and for the first time calls her a lady (after having spent the entire show calling her a whore). Tim Minear thought this was so amazing it's why he signed onto the show.

Honestly, I'm happy the show got cancelled before it could do that.

Same here, slf. Same here.

• Love 7