Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

Somewhat along the lines of 'hate watching' was this odd cable show called Whatever, with Alexis and Jennifer in which Martha Stewart's daughter Alexis and her friend would watch episodes of the former's mother's program and make fun of it. I admit that I never saw it nor had any real interest in it. However; the fact that it was produced by her mother herself actually gave me the idea that the elder Miss Stewart had to have enough of a sense of humor about herself to actually greenlight a show that had her daughter and pal making fun of her. It wasn't as though Martha Stewart had no other venues to pitch her wares.

My UO is that I preferred watching Sue Ann Nivens on the old Mary Tyler Moore Show because that character hilariously showed the shadowside of domestic 'perfection' y!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Somewhat along the lines of 'hate watching' was this odd cable show called Whatever, with Alexis and Jennifer in which Martha Stewart's daughter Alexis and her friend would watch episodes of the former's mother's program and make fun of it. I admit that I never saw it nor had any real interest in it. However; the fact that it was produced by her mother herself actually gave me the idea that the elder Miss Stewart had to have enough of a sense of humor about herself to actually greenlight a show that had her daughter and pal making fun of her. It wasn't as though Martha Stewart had no other venues to pitch her wares.

That show was hilarious!

• Love 2

It's especially fun to watch with the closed captioning on, when they tell you it's "stirring music" or "sad music" or what have you. (insert eye roll)

It's funny when it's just a music note. Like, if your hearing is compromised or nonexistent, how does that help?

• Love 4
Just now, bilgistic said:

I wonder about that. If one was born deaf, how does one interpret captioning that says "stirring music"? I've never known any deaf people to ask.

I've taken ASL 1 and 2 recently, so while I can't give you a personal account of how they understand music, I have an idea based on things I've been taught and have witnessed in class.  Deaf people can feel the vibrations/beat of music through speakers, so in that sense, they can get an idea of the type of music that's playing.  I think over time they recognize slower songs are for certain types of situations, as are faster songs.  My teacher, while not totally deaf, is profoundly deaf, and has learned enough over the years that with the help of a hearing aid, she can get a good enough  idea of the type of music that is playing that she can even easily translate the songs in real time, going right along with the beat.

• Love 8
(edited)
On 5/13/2018 at 9:08 AM, Miss Dee said:

It becomes a kind of groupthink, I think - a shared experience of all suffering together. Therefore even if, on our own, we might dislike a show we're watching, we probably wouldn't be so over-the-top vocal about it if we weren't secretly enjoying the experience of savagely tearing it apart with likeminded people and the consequence of it drawing us closer together as a community. That's a very, very old evolutionary instinct that's pretty much the basis of a lot of Internet (not to mention real-life) interaction. Human beings have always found it easier to be cruel or angry in groups.

And here in the PT forums we are more like a MOB of angry people! Lol! But that was a great post MissDee!

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 3
On 5/13/2018 at 12:08 PM, Miss Dee said:

It becomes a kind of groupthink, I think - a shared experience of all suffering together.

Makes sense. According to at least one famous study, people do tend to bond more over shared antipathy than common interests!

• Love 1

Unpopular Opinion: I hate it when fans compare subsequent seasons of shows to their initial seasons. Of course the first season was good. You had nothing to compare it to!

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Dee said:

Unpopular Opinion: I hate it when fans compare subsequent seasons of shows to their initial seasons. Of course the first season was good. You had nothing to compare it to!

Or when they say an episode is "filler" because there is no concept of background or foreshadowing. 

• Love 17
3 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Or when they say an episode is "filler" because there is no concept of background or foreshadowing. 

Or when it’s a stand alone episode in the midst of a serial or anthology story.

• Love 8
(edited)

I think people are way to aware of tropes for their own good.  Personally there are only a handful I hate out of spite and I understand it is impossible to avoid them all.   So I don’t care how tropey a show gets as long as it’s entertaining.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 16

I put the bedside table drawer front on backwards and some other goofs that I had to fix mid-construction because I wasn't paying close enough attention to the instructions, but I've been able to build everything myself.

I have three little tables that comprise a "deconstructed" coffee table. I also have a sizable bookcase and a metal tower/bookcase/etagere kind of thing that was intended for the bathroom, but it takes up too much room in my small bathroom, so I'm using it as a receptacle for shoes and bags at the front door.

I also have two small bench-like structures; I'm using one as a side table for the couch and the other is beside the bedroom window serving as a step for the cats to jump on first before getting into the window seat. I have a bigger bench that I use as a TV stand/entertainment center.

I have the aforementioned bedside table. I also have a big wooden outdoor chair and foot rest. I have a second outdoor chair I haven't built. I have an excellent wooden stepstool that I use pretty often. Its regular location is at the foot of the bed for the cats to use to walk up to the bed.

I love IKEA!!

• Love 6
21 hours ago, roamyn said:

Or when it’s a stand alone episode in the midst of a serial or anthology story.

Which means that a show on a show like "X-Files," more than half their episodes were nothing but "filler" because they didn't deal with the mytharc. Except that the "monster of the week" episodes were the best ones, and with very few exceptions, the mytharc episodes were complete garbage.

9 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I think people are way to aware of tropes for their own good.  Personally there are only a handful I hate out of spite and I understand it is impossible to avoid them all.   So I don’t care how tropey a show gets as long as it’s entertaining.

I confess to not knowing may TV tropes (other than things like, for instance, "boy meets girl/boy loses girl/boy finds girl"), so when they pop up, I don't really notice or mind.

• Love 8

It's interesting with all the various 'classic' television shows and actors facing assorted 'reckonings' in recent years that Friends has largely gone unscathed.

• Love 1

Ziggy Sobotka was one of my favorite characters on The Wire (not in the sense of being likeable, but in the sense of being a great/interesting character and one of the realest characters).

Degrassi (at least the earlier seasons; I've only seen the first two seasons) was the most accurate and realistic show about teenagers ever. Even more than My So-Called Life.

Gilmore Girls is boring and basic, the titular characters are way too in love with themselves, and the dialogue is like how a sheltered high schooler in the gifted program thinks people talk. (Ok that one's not that unpopular of an opinion.)

Friends is terrible.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Season 2 of The Wire isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. 

I'm not sure if people really think Season 2 is bad, just not as good as the other seasons. I mean, it's still The Wire. It's definitely the most polarizing season though. The change in the characters' situations and introduction of a whole host of new characters was a big risk for the show.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ganesh said:

I agree.  I admit in my first viewing of it, I characterized it as a bad season.  But upon repeat viewings, I put it down to being a bit of a shock to the system because of the abrupt tonal shift going from all things Avon and Stringer in S1  to the waterfront and the Sabotkas in S2.  It isn't til we get to S3 and realize that each season has a different focus, circles that ripple out and examine all the different 'broken' systems.

Honestly if I had to rank the seasons, S5 would come in as my least favorite of the 5 seasons of the show. S1 and S4 run neck and neck as my favorites with S2 and S3 coming next.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, ganesh said:

I love season 2. David Simon says he was inspired by Greek Tragedy when he was writing the The Wire. I think season 2 is the purest evidence of that. In the waning episodes of season 2, Frank realizes that all of this is going to end badly for him no matter how hard he's tried to avoid it. It's so clear that he just has to let everything play out in the way that he's been trying to prevent because there is no other way any of this could have ended. And Ziggy is the prince of hindsight. Everyone knows someone like him. If he had only stopped to think for a second, he could have prevented a ton of heartache.

11 hours ago, BuyMoreAndSave said:

Friends is terrible.

I agree.

I also have this weird issue with Julie. I remember my friends thinking I was a weirdo because I thought how Ross and Julie got together was ridiculous. He's on a trip to China and runs into his former college friend, Julie, a Chinese American paleontologist who lives in New York. I mean really?!?! The show had the chutzpah to play it like "guess who I randomly reconnected with" instead of it just being the right time and place for their chemistry to work. Ross should never have been surprised to see her on an excavation because they work in the same small field in the same city, went to the same grad school and knew each other in school.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I agree.  I admit in my first viewing of it, I characterized it as a bad season.  But upon repeat viewings, I put it down to being a bit of a shock to the system because of the abrupt tonal shift going from all things Avon and Stringer in S1  to the waterfront and the Sabotkas in S2.  It isn't til we get to S3 and realize that each season has a different focus, circles that ripple out and examine all the different 'broken' systems.

Honestly if I had to rank the seasons, S5 would come in as my least favorite of the 5 seasons of the show. S1 and S4 run neck and neck as my favorites with S2 and S3 coming next.

When I first watched S2E1 I was actually pissed off like "Why did they ruin this amazing show?!" But of course David Simon was a man with a plan and now it's probably one of the most devastating plotlines in TV for me.

I like the first three seasons about equally. S4 has great aspects but honestly I really wasn't interested in Marlo Stanfield and his crew as characters so that weakened the show a bit for me. I know that they existed for a reason like everything in this show, but I felt like the gang members of previous seasons were a lot more relatable because it was like "this could be any of us if we had grown up in this environment." Pretty much everyone agrees S5 was the weakest. I read somewhere that there was originally going to be a S6 focusing on illegal immigration but I don't know how true that was.

30 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

I love season 2. David Simon says he was inspired by Greek Tragedy when he was writing the The Wire. I think season 2 is the purest evidence of that. In the waning episodes of season 2, Frank realizes that all of this is going to end badly for him no matter how hard he's tried to avoid it. It's so clear that he just has to let everything play out in the way that he's been trying to prevent because there is no other way any of this could have ended. And Ziggy is the prince of hindsight. Everyone knows someone like him. If he had only stopped to think for a second, he could have prevented a ton of heartache.

I agree.

I also have this weird issue with Julie. I remember my friends thinking I was a weirdo because I thought how Ross and Julie got together was ridiculous. He's on a trip to China and runs into his former college friend, Julie, a Chinese American paleontologist who lives in New York. I mean really?!?! The show had the chutzpah to play it like "guess who I randomly reconnected with" instead of it just being the right time and place for their chemistry to work. Ross should never have been surprised to see her on an excavation because they work in the same small field in the same city, went to the same grad school and knew each other in school.

Yeah that's exactly why Ziggy is one of my favorite characters...we all know a Ziggy (or maybe we even are one!)

I admit I haven't watched enough Friends to actually know about many of the plotlines.

• Love 2
On 2018-05-09 at 5:15 PM, WarnerCL45 said:

And dig out the nail clippers!   That woman is so loathsome, there are no words.

This! I can’t watch this show because all I can think about is all the bacteria and crap that may be stuck under those nails.

(edited)

I liked Courtney in season one of 13 Reasons Why.

13 Reasons Why is the best teen show of the decade so far.

I got Netflix for a free month just to watch the second season of 13 Reasons Why. I normally wait for shows to go on DVD and rent them at the library. I still prefer network tv. I like watching one episode per week. 

ETA I have heard a lot of sympathy expressed toward the cast and crew of Roseanne (who is not Roseanne) for their loss of their jobs. While I do not want people unemployed, I guess I don't see the difference when it is them, or the kids of Rise, or when a show is done because the producer and lead actors think it is just time to go. People lose their jobs, kinda the nature of the business.

Edited by memememe76
  • Love 6
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:54 PM, Dee said:

Lots of the shows I like best were better in subsequent seasons than in their first.  The Magicians, The Expanse.  

I think there is some legitimacy to griping about subsequent seasons compared to the first.  Some showrunners are just not cut out for more than a limited run.  I'm sure they spend a ton of time working out the first season and then get a summer hiatus to figure out the next season and face plant. Despite not liking the shorter seasons and longer hiatuses for a very long time (11 months between each half of a BSG season was awful way back when), I'm finding now that 13 episode seasons, once per year seem to be much tighter and better quality.  With the exception to the rule, iZombie.

Some of the griping is fandom working out what they want the show to be in the first season and then complaining about the show failing to deliver its potential.  That isn't really a fair comparison because a lot of the time the comparison is to something the show never really was. (And yes, guilty of that).

• Love 5
(edited)
13 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:

Lots of the shows I like best were better in subsequent seasons than in their first.  The Magicians, The Expanse.  

Same. I do tend to love the first seasons of my favorite shows, but yeah, many of my favorite shows had their best seasons midway through their run, around season 3, 4, 5 or so (the number can vary depending on how many seasons the show ran/runs). 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, memememe76 said:

ETA I have heard a lot of sympathy expressed toward the cast and crew of Roseanne (who is not Roseanne) for their loss of their jobs. While I do not want people unemployed, I guess I don't see the difference when it is them, or the kids of Rise, or when a show is done because the producer and lead actors think it is just time to go. People lose their jobs, kinda the nature of the business.

I think the fact the cast was so thrilled to work together again, and revisit iconic characters, and was looking forward to doing more of that given the audience reception, heightens the emotional response, but it's also that they had already been renewed for a second revival season - in fact, the writers were gathered for their first brainstorming session for that season when the cancellation news broke - that may be causing a bit more "I feel sorry for them" sentiment than a normal scenario when a show gets canceled.  That plus the fact that it was canceled not because of low ratings or one of the "yep, saw that coming" reasons, but because the star/executive producer of an eponymous show finally went so far that even a network walked away from the money the show brings in.  And because the racist shithead who caused all this is someone with whom they have a longstanding relationship, dating back to the many years she didn't exhibit this kind of behavior (in fact, the opposite).

Cancellation is indeed the nature of the business, but this happened at a different time than is typical, and it thus won't be as easy for the crew to get hired for something else and they thus may be out of work for at least part of a season.  (The cast and writers are somewhat the same boat, but some of them have contracts guaranteeing they'll still get paid for the episodes they were slated to do, plus crew members are especially divided between TV and film, and will thus have a harder time getting a film gig to tide them over until next season.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 21
(edited)
On 5/31/2018 at 7:15 PM, memememe76 said:

I think the difference is that when a show usually gets canceled it's because of low ratings, or the star has said it's there their last season, or something that usually gives everyone a clue that the show might be getting canceled. In this case, the show had really strong ratings & was even renewed for the 2nd season before the 1st was done. Having the star of the show tweet out racists comments is not usually one of the reason for canceling a show & it was completely unexpected.

Whoops @Bastet posted some of this already while I was still typing

Edited by GaT
  • Love 7
(edited)
21 hours ago, Bastet said:

And because the racist shithead who caused all this is someone with whom they have a longstanding relationship, dating back to the many years she didn't exhibit this kind of behavior (in fact, the opposite).

I think this is what some younger people may not realize.  She was solidly on the left/liberal side of things.  She ran for office as a Green and later as a Peace and Freedom candidate.  She went to Zuccotti Park and went up to the mike and supported Occupy Wall Street. She had a fucking talk show on KPFK (part of the Pacifica Network, the first public radio network, founded by left-wing pacifists).   Her friends were shocked when she came out for Trump. God knows what's going on in her tortured mind but it's painful to have a friend who you know can be wonderful - and then pulls shit like this.   I also have friends who suffer from mental illness and unfortunately this is something that happens.  For those of you who don't have any mentally ill family or friends - great, you are lucky.  But please know that mental illness is a real thing, as real as cancer.  Cancer patients can be racist assholes, too, you know, the same as anybody else might be - but that doesn't change the fact that cancer sucks and FUCK cancer.  And FUCK mental illness.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 15
On 5/30/2018 at 12:55 AM, Dee said:

It's interesting with all the various 'classic' television shows and actors facing assorted 'reckonings' in recent years that Friends has largely gone unscathed.

Speaking of classic shows, I've been watching The Golden Girls again on Hulu.  Ironic, but the show...has not aged well at all. I have no idea how or why these women were friends. I lost interest in the middle of season 3.  

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/31/2018 at 12:31 PM, DearEvette said:

Season 4 was my all time favorite season of, not only The Wire, but of most any TV drama, because it explained to us, the audience how and why people become the characters in season 1.  I remember someone on TWoP said how after watching season 4 of The Wire, they really understood how and why people become drug addicts. 

Season 2 was good because I believe it showed how not only are poor blacks screwed by the system, but poor whites are as well.  There was a scene in that season where a white couple go to an open house.  The neighborhood has become gentrified.  One of the characters mentions to the realtor that their grandmother used to live in that house.  The realtor asks if it was the previous tenant and the character says no, their grandmother lived in the area pre-gentrification and had to move out due to high crime in the neighborhood.  That scene spoke volumes, especially when the couple learn they cannot afford the house.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 6

Golden Girls was best in its first four years but remained watchable to the end, IMO even though they probably should have ended it roughly after those first years and NOT attempted that awful Dorothy-free spinoff!

However; Empty Nest was only fun the first year or so but even  by the end of the second year Carol and Charlie devolved into grating caricatures and even Nurse Laverne Todd became lost her spunk before it was all over. Kristy McNichol's character was okay but nothing memorable and before too long  I wish Harry would have just let the girls have the house but have him and Dreyfuss move into the clinic.

Nurses barely started out tolerable but wasted little time into becoming a rather coarse, juvenile cartoon.

It's telling that out of all the above shows  living cast members only Betty White has stayed in the spotlight since then.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

I refuse to let my enjoyment of 90s and early 00s TV shows be ruined because of the problematic story-lines and character traits that were acceptable then but not acceptable now. They are shows of their time, and times change. 

I'll second this and also add my refusal of shows from the '50s-'80s for the exact same reasons.

And here's another one for me, and it's based on shows I've watched: I don't think Valere Harper's firing is any way comparable to the cancellation of Roseanne. Valerie was fired due to a pay dispute; she never uttered or was accused of saying blatant, offensive racist comments. 

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 16
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

However; Empty Nest was only fun the first year or so but even  by the end of the second year Carol and Charlie devolved into grating caricatures and even Nurse Laverne Todd became lost her spunk before it was all over. Kristy McNichol's character was okay but nothing memorable and before too long  I wish Harry would have just let the girls have the house but have him and Dreyfuss move into the clinic.

I found the whole concept of Empty Nest bizarre.  Was the title meant to be ironic?  I always found the show to be just OK. Didn't love it.  Didn't hate it.  Was a perfectly fine watch if there was nothing better to do.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I found the whole concept of Empty Nest bizarre.  Was the title meant to be ironic? 

Yeah, it was ironic. I believe the original premise of the show was that the youngest daughter had just left for college, leaving an Empty Nest, but then the two older daughters both moved back in. 

• Love 2

I thought Jon Stewart's version of The Daily Show was repetitive and tiresome. I'd try to watch sporadically over the years but his comedic mugging and repetitive bashing of the media was very one-note.

Trevor Noah's Daily Show is much more interesting and inclusive to me.

• Love 5
On 6/8/2018 at 6:11 PM, 2727 said:

I thought Jon Stewart's version of The Daily Show was repetitive and tiresome. I'd try to watch sporadically over the years but his comedic mugging and repetitive bashing of the media was very one-note.

Trevor Noah's Daily Show is much more interesting and inclusive to me.

I really like Trevor Noah, and think he has such an interesting perspective on a number of issues, but it does become samey when there's simply no way of wading through all the Trump insanity, to get to any other issues. The best parts of the show are the Between the Scenes bits of Trevor just riffing to the audience during ad-breaks.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/2/2018 at 2:32 PM, ribboninthesky1 said:

Speaking of classic shows, I've been watching The Golden Girls again on Hulu.  Ironic, but the show...has not aged well at all. I have no idea how or why these women were friends. 

If I recall, they weren't friends until they answered an ad to rent rooms in Blanche's house.

On The Expanse, I've never thought Steven Strait was a bad actor as James Holden. His acting ability strikes me as on par with his castmates'.

RE: the same show, I think it's hilarious how people are condemning David Strathairn's Belter accent for not being "real," considering it's a nonexistent patois of a nonexistent society set several hundred years in the future.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 4
(edited)

I didn't love Lucy (meaning I Love Lucy). It's ok, but after learning she stole from Red Skeleton (the Vitameatavegamin routine), it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Skelton, 76, sold out venues in Cleveland last week and Merrillville, Ind., before that and Phoenix before that, and he played Atlanta's Fox Theatre last Saturday night. Old comedians like Skelton, who Tuesday night was presented a lifetime achievement award at the Third Annual American Comedy Awards in Los Angeles, are swimming in money. They do it for the laughs, but the money is how they keep score. As George Burns once put it: ''I'd do it for nothing - if they paid me enough.''

For his part, Skelton has copyrighted every joke or skit he has written since he was 10 (''or maybe not until I was 12''), when he wrote down a joke and sent it to himself by registered mail to have proof of when and where he wrote it. He once was going to sue Lucille Ball (''a dear friend'') for stealing a skit, the one in which she drinks some tonic and gets drunk. But then he figured, ''The hell with 'em.'' He did sue Keenan Wynn. ''But like my mother said, you can write 'em faster than they can steal 'em.

Source:  http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1989-05-27/lifestyle/8905270148_1_red-skelton-jokes-lucille-ball

Wasn't thrilled about Rocky and Bullwinkle doing that with Bullwinkle as well. He's a rip off of Clem Kadiddlehopper.

http://jimhillmedia.com/alumni1/b/wade_sampson/archive/2006/05/09/wednesday-with-wade-more-quot-making-fun-of-the-mouse-quot.aspx

https://books.google.com/books?id=2KvcAgAAQBAJ&pg=PT259&lpg=PT259&dq=clem+kadiddle+bullwinkle&source=bl&ots=1ArwVu_yxn&sig=xVmZWArES6lxLh9WSm2R1UCmPSw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwir-pe25uLbAhXsz4MKHaJEDUcQ6AEIUDAJ#v=onepage&q=clem kadiddle bullwinkle&f=false

Can still watch the cartoons since I love them... but it sucks that they ripped off Red Skelton.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

I didn't love Lucy (meaning I Love Lucy). It's ok, but after learning she stole from Red Skeleton (the Vitameatavegamin routine), it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Source:  http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1989-05-27/lifestyle/8905270148_1_red-skelton-jokes-lucille-ball

Wasn't thrilled about Rocky and Bullwinkle doing that with Bullwinkle as well. He's a rip off of Clem Kadiddlehopper.

http://jimhillmedia.com/alumni1/b/wade_sampson/archive/2006/05/09/wednesday-with-wade-more-quot-making-fun-of-the-mouse-quot.aspx

https://books.google.com/books?id=2KvcAgAAQBAJ&pg=PT259&lpg=PT259&dq=clem+kadiddle+bullwinkle&source=bl&ots=1ArwVu_yxn&sig=xVmZWArES6lxLh9WSm2R1UCmPSw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwir-pe25uLbAhXsz4MKHaJEDUcQ6AEIUDAJ#v=onepage&q=clem kadiddle bullwinkle&f=false

Can still watch the cartoons since I love them... but it sucks that they ripped off Red Skelton.

Well, he evidently forgave  her enough to appear with her and do a clown skit with her  on the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour. Of course, it wasn't so easy for him because she was a huge believer in rehearsing to the nth degree while he believed in ad-libbing whenever possible.

Moreover, she told the tale of how Mr. Skelton walked into a house barefoot in his swimming trunks for a tour like he was a lord of the jungle- and wound up lord of the manor when he BOUGHT the place on the spot with several $$ thousand in cash he'd carried in said trunks!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Blergh said:

Well, he evidently forgave  her enough to appear with her and do a clown skit with her  on the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour. Of course, it wasn't so easy for him because she was a huge believer in rehearsing to the nth degree while he believed in ad-libbing whenever possible.

Moreover, she told the tale of how Mr. Skelton walked into a house barefoot in his swimming trunks for a tour like he was a lord of the jungle- and wound up lord of the manor when he BOUGHT the place on the spot with several $$ thousand in cash he'd carried in said trunks!

Cool. That had to take a lot for him to do so.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Blergh said:

If I ever become a bazillionaire, I'm totally going to do that.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
(edited)

I  am actually kinda happy actors/actresses on teenage shows aren’t actually teenagers.  Just finished watching season 2 of Riverdale (I dont know why I didn’t watch it live that is a different conversation) and I am currently obsessed with Cheryl.  I checked and the actress who plays her is 23 and that isn’t quite jail bait so I feel less like a dirty old woman for having a crush on her.    

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 6/2/2018 at 2:50 PM, theredhead77 said:

I refuse to let my enjoyment of 90s and early 00s TV shows be ruined because of the problematic story-lines and character traits that were acceptable then but not acceptable now. They are shows of their time, and times change. 

Sorry for the double post but just saw yours but it’s weird but a lot of shows seem vaguely wrong but if you look at them they are all so ahead of their time.  I am watching Charlie’s Angels which has a vague  misogyny to it but there is a lot of #MEtoo to it as well.  Night Court also deals with issues before it’s time and so did MASH.    

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6
43 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I am watching Charlie’s Angels which has a vague  misogyny to it

I still love the show; and one of the greatest things about it is, none of them needed no stinkin' man to save them. They saved themselves out of sticky situations. I may cringe over the B-movie style screaming, or roll my eyes in certain episodes where Kelly is being manhandled and she doesn't flip them over like she's shown to do in the opening credits, and is made to look like the weak female, but more often, she's shown to use those skills and save herself and her friends/other victims.

• Love 7

LOGO has started showing Laverne and Shirley.  How I ever watched that dreck is beyond me now.   I'll watch a few minutes, then eventually turn the channel.  I've had the show on longer than I wanted sometimes as I'm busy and can't get to the remote right away, or I decide to give it another chance.  The shows where Shirley was written out, the last season, are really bad.  They had to have some of the supporting characters carry a show or two.  Lenny & Squiggy were good as supporting characters, but no way were they good as lead characters.  

I was like how did this get to be a hit show?  It's slightly a rip off of I Love Lucy - the two girls get in madcap adventures ala Lucy and Ethel.  Instead of singing at the club, they're looking for the rich guy who will take them out of their blue collar existence (or for the great job, or earning money quickly to get that dress that will land the great guy, etc.).  

• Love 5