Type keyword(s) to search

Party of One: Unpopular TV Opinions

• Start Topic

38 minutes ago, hoosier80 said:

LOGO has started showing Laverne and Shirley.  How I ever watched that dreck is beyond me now.   I'll watch a few minutes, then eventually turn the channel.  I've had the show on longer than I wanted sometimes as I'm busy and can't get to the remote right away, or I decide to give it another chance.  The shows where Shirley was written out, the last season, are really bad.  They had to have some of the supporting characters carry a show or two.  Lenny & Squiggy were good as supporting characters, but no way were they good as lead characters.  

I was like how did this get to be a hit show?  It's slightly a rip off of I Love Lucy - the two girls get in madcap adventures ala Lucy and Ethel.  Instead of singing at the club, they're looking for the rich guy who will take them out of their blue collar existence (or for the great job, or earning money quickly to get that dress that will land the great guy, etc.).  

Thank you! I thought the show had its moments in a 'show that might have been' way  via L&S alongside their friends, coworkers and family  in a workaday environment interacting trying to make the title characters' dreams come true- yet not realizing that they what they HAD (supportive if kooky friends and family) was something many of those folks in picket-fenced suburban houses WISHED they had!  I also think they should have ended it with a double wedding of L&S marrying Lenny and Carmine and NOT moving to LA (with Laverne having to deal with having Squiggy for an in-law the rest of her life but loving Lenny's other qualities to make up for it).   I've never heard of anyone who said they'd avoided the show until the LA move but virtually everyone I've met who remembers it said that they thought it was a big mistake for them to move there.

Oh, and it was totally unwatchable when Shirley left . After one episode acknowledging this, they pretended she never existed and redid the opening credits to solely feature Laverne's stuff- yet STILL called it Laverne&Shirley (not even Laverne&Shirley's Pals).

Ironically, Laverne was the more openly abrasive of the two yet ultimately was MORE likable than Shirley who was a bit saccharine and patronizing and nowhere near as sweet as she wanted others to think she was.  Yet, the show still was better when it was the two of them trying to make their dreams come true rather than Laverne solo going nowhere fast!

Yeah, they flattered themselves if they thought they were anywhere near Lucy and Ethel. Even Eve Arden and Kaye Ballard in Desi Arnaz's one post Lucy production The Mothers-in-Laws got closer to the mark!

• Love 6
(edited)
On 6/20/2018 at 1:47 PM, AntiBeeSpray said:

I didn't love Lucy (meaning I Love Lucy). It's ok, but after learning she stole from Red Skeleton (the Vitameatavegamin routine), it left a bad taste in my mouth.

I didn't know that, but I still love Lucy. However, I've never liked Red Skeleton. I never thought his shtick -- especially the clown character -- was funny. 

I liked Laverne & Shirley, and I'll stay and watch episodes when I catch them. The LA episodes were awful (they'd grown too old for that shit). I agree that Shirley should have married Carmine and Laverne Lenny. 

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 4

And Carmine should've dropped Shirley's sorry butt long before she was written out.  He was her plan b always.  .

The last show of the series was a semi pilot for Carmine to have his own show.  Sadly, that show was boring.   If they'd been creative, they could have taken the Carmine character into his own show, like MTM show did with Lou Grant, and make it a drama.   Do a realistic show about people trying or working in theatre in NYC.  It may have been close to the time that the Fame tv show or movie hit, but this would have been more at the 30 something's who needed (desperately) to get in a hit show or realize it was time for a career change.  Might have worked, but the comedy show definitely wouldn't have worked at all.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Blergh said:

Thank you! I thought the show had its moments in a 'show that might have been' way  via L&S alongside their friends, coworkers and family  in a workaday environment interacting trying to make the title characters' dreams come true- yet not realizing that they what they HAD (supportive if kooky friends and family) was something many of those folks in picket-fenced suburban houses WISHED they had!  I also think they should have ended it with a double wedding of L&S marrying Lenny and Carmine and NOT moving to LA (with Laverne having to deal with having Squiggy for an in-law the rest of her life but loving Lenny's other qualities to make up for it).   I've never heard of anyone who said they'd avoided the show until the LA move but virtually everyone I've met who remembers it said that they thought it was a big mistake for them to move there.

Oh, and it was totally unwatchable when Shirley left . After one episode acknowledging this, they pretended she never existed and redid the opening credits to solely feature Laverne's stuff- yet STILL called it Laverne&Shirley (not even Laverne&Shirley's Pals).

Ironically, Laverne was the more openly abrasive of the two yet ultimately was MORE likable than Shirley who was a bit saccharine and patronizing and nowhere near as sweet as she wanted others to think she was.  Yet, the show still was better when it was the two of them trying to make their dreams come true rather than Laverne solo going nowhere fast!

Yeah, they flattered themselves if they thought they were anywhere near Lucy and Ethel. Even Eve Arden and Kaye Ballard in Desi Arnaz's one post Lucy production The Mothers-in-Laws got closer to the mark!

I think Laverne and Shirley had more in common with the Odd Couple than I Love Lucy. Two roommates with opposite personalities living in the city. and trying to find love. It would have been expected for Laverne and Shirley to find husbands since that was expected of women in the fifties. It was actually groundbreaking to have women living on their own instead of living with family. I thought Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley went on too long.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I think Laverne and Shirley had more in common with the Odd Couple than I Love Lucy. Two roommates with opposite personalities living in the city.

The only difference is that Laverne & Shirley also went to high school together, I think. 

• Love 1
23 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I didn't know that, but I still love Lucy. However, I've never liked Red Skeleton. I never thought his shtick -- especially the clown character -- was funny. 

I liked Laverne & Shirley, and I'll stay and watch episodes when I catch them. The LA episodes were awful (they'd grown too old for that shit). I agree that Shirley should have married Carmine and Laverne Lenny. 

Ah I'm pretty much the reverse there, I've never found her to be all that funny. Sometimes, sure. Guess their humor is subjective.

• Love 2

Lucy did a lot of things that reminded me of Red Skelton - she had a vagabond character that was very like his (including similar clothes and makeup), for example. That period, coming from vaudeville, comedians often developed numerous characters they would return to frequently (see also Carol Burnett's charwoman). I never liked her actual sitcom that much, but I greatly admired her skill - even more so when I realized she started as a dramatic actress (see her work in WITHOUT LOVE or STAGE DOOR). I'd class this as a bit different from a writer plagiarizing another's joke - it's more like a magician copying another magician's trick, in that she still had to perform the skit and make it work. Skelton *didn't* sue her, after all, perhaps because he recognized that as well as their friendship.

• Love 6
(edited)

Charlie Chaplin could've sued them all, then. Sid Ceasar also had a hobo character, and you could probably throw Emmet Kelly into the mix as well. I think it was a common vaudeville trope and everybody had their own take on it. As a stock character, though, no one owns it. although they could have IP rights to a specific appearance, the way Disney can't sue you for using Snow White unless it looks like their Snow White because she is a fairy tale character in the public domain. 

Edited by ABay
  • Love 7

Nothing is truely  original though. Every current show gets its bones from a past show that gets its bones from an even pastier show that probably gets its bones from a old play that gets its bones from an old old story.  

• Love 8
On 6/26/2018 at 7:06 AM, wendyg said:

Lucy did a lot of things that reminded me of Red Skelton - she had a vagabond character that was very like his (including similar clothes and makeup), for example. 

I don't recall Lucy's "vagabond" character, but her famous "Vitameatavegamin" ad in I Love Lucy was very much like Skelton's "Guzzler's Gin" ad, which he first performed in 1935. 

• Love 1

Well...YouTube has a clip of Lucy doing Freddy the Freeloader with Red Skelton:

And also performing the famous DUCK SOUP mirror scene with Harpo Marx:

She clearly studied comedy!

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, wendyg said:

Well...YouTube has a clip of Lucy doing Freddy the Freeloader with Red Skelton:

And also performing the famous DUCK SOUP mirror scene with Harpo Marx:

She clearly studied comedy!

And she studied it from HIM:

Here's their only known filmed clip of them together.

I guess my UO is that it's too bad that she didn't have Mr. Keaton as a regular on her shows (and even sadder that in less than a year afterwards, Mr. Keaton would be no more).

• Love 1
On 7/2/2018 at 7:18 AM, GreekGeek said:

I don't recall Lucy's "vagabond" character, but her famous "Vitameatavegamin" ad in I Love Lucy was very much like Skelton's "Guzzler's Gin" ad, which he first performed in 1935. 

IMO, I think it was a coincidence, Lucy getting into hijinks by getting drunk from what was supposed to be a vitamin drink isn't so unique that it had to have been stolen from somewhere.

I didn't think this is a UO, but I guess mine is that I think the 1st season of most shows usually end up being among their worst.  When I say most, I do think there are exceptions.  For example, I quite liked the 1st season of Revenge & thought it went totally off the rails subsequently.

• Love 4

Ah but what made the classic 'Vitameatavegamin' bit stand way above the crowd was the fact that not only was a woman doing the 'funny increasingly tipsy' bit but that Lucy managed to do it without trashing her character. I mean, then even more than now, it was downright TOUGH for a woman to pull this off (far more than for a male comedian) but even when Mrs. Ricardo was tipsily openly hugging +kissing Ricky at the end of the skit (on national television) , Lucy didn't lose the audience's sympathy.

My UO re I Love Lucy? While Miss Ball's and Miss Vance's crazy stunts and comedy were highlighted and were a great boon, I wished they'd have let Mr. Arzaz and Mr. Frawley be more than foils or straight men more often!

• Love 4

I never understood all the adoration that Sandra Oh got when she was on Grey's Anatomy and, more recently, on Killing Eve.  I don't think she's that good of an actor at all. 

The only movie I've seen her in was Sideways and I thought that Thomas Haden Church should have called the police on her ass when she almost killed him by beating him upside the head with the motorcycle helmet.  Sure, he lied to her but he didn't deserve that.  She should have just left him alone. 

• Love 9
(edited)

Not only do I have zero desire to watch Dr. Pimple Popper (or surf onto that viewing site) , I hope I never have to  have to be subjected to fan gushings by anyone I've ever actually met. BLEAH!!!

Edited by Blergh
duplicate 'never'
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I never understood all the adoration that Sandra Oh got when she was on Grey's Anatomy and, more recently, on Killing Eve.  I don't think she's that good of an actor at all. 

The only movie I've seen her in was Sideways and I thought that Thomas Haden Church should have called the police on her ass when she almost killed him by beating him upside the head with the motorcycle helmet.  Sure, he lied to her but he didn't deserve that.  She should have just left him alone. 

Sandra Oh beat Thomas Haden Church with a motorcycle helmet or her character beat his character with a motorcycle helmet (presumably because it was in the script and the director told her to do it)?

Until recently, I did not realize she was the principal in "The Princess Diaries." That is still a weird disconnect for me.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, auntlada said:

Sandra Oh beat Thomas Haden Church with a motorcycle helmet or her character beat his character with a motorcycle helmet (presumably because it was in the script and the director told her to do it)?

I referenced the movie so, of course, it was in the script.  I used their real names because I didn't remember the characters' names. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Ohwell said:

I referenced the movie so, of course, it was in the script.  I used their real names because I didn't remember the characters' names. 

I've never seen the movie, and since you were talking about not liking the actress and that seemed to be a reason why, I wasn't sure if it was the actress or the character who did it. (The movie never looked remotely interesting to me, and Thomas Haden Church will always be Lowell to me. I can't take him seriously.)

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

This is just a personal opinion of mine but I think HBO shows and movies get nominated because they are HBO shows and movies.  It really doesn’t matter how good they are.  If HBO produces them their chances of being nominated automatically doubles.  If they are actually good triples.  Even a badly written HBO show or movie  has a better chance of winning an award then an amazingly written show on any other network.

Yes, I agree. They have more money to throw at their shows for one thing. A show like The Magicians which has had some really great writing this year is never going to get nominated. I feel like any fantasy shows pretty much have to be on HBO or Showtime or they will be overlooked no matter how good the writing or acting is.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, festivus said:

Yes, I agree. They have more money to throw at their shows for one thing. A show like The Magicians which has had some really great writing this year is never going to get nominated. I feel like any fantasy shows pretty much have to be on HBO or Showtime or they will be overlooked no matter how good the writing or acting is.

Definitely. 12 Monkeys just ended and I can look back on it now as a whole and believe that it was one of the best written shows I've ever watched -- just the groundwork they laid down from the beginning and how they were able to use stuff that they'd set up several seasons ago and tie back into it in the end -- but no, I have zero expectations about its Emmy likelihood.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, festivus said:

2 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Definitely. 12 Monkeys just ended and I can look back on it now as a whole and believe that it was one of the best written shows I've ever watched -- just the groundwork they laid down from the beginning and how they were able to use stuff that they'd set up several seasons ago and tie back into it in the end -- but no, I have zero expectations about its Emmy likelihood.

There is also The Americans.  If it wasn’t competing in the same category as both Game of Thrones and Westworld I have no doubt it would have won serveral awards.  There is no reason why both Noah Emmerich and Holly Taylor have been overlooked except the Emmy’s needed to make room for HBO shows.  

Although nominating three women from Handmaids Tale is ridiculous.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6

Honestly no matter how good a show is nominating more then two people in any category is ridiculous.  You are basically double dipping at that point.  Just nominate the damn show...which you are more then likely doing.   There are so little spaces and if three are being used for a single show that just seems like it is just hogging the spotlight away from shows that genuinely deserve the praise.  And yes it has happened before and sometimes on shows I do and did like..I still found it ridiculous.  Not everyone on a show  even a popular one like Game of Thrones and yes the Handmaids Tale (neither of them I watch for different reasons so maybe I am not one to judge) deserves the same amount of praise or even to me nominated for awards.  Then again there have been several shows that have been snubbed over and over again simply because there is no room to put them in once these popular character heavy shows get in there two and three actors.  

• Love 6

One of my biggest gripes with the Emmys is that it's really hard to break into an acting category (or any category) with a show that has already fallen out of favor overall with the voters.  For example, just about everything that gets nominated is either a shiny new toy or an old favorite/"prestige" show that has yet to be displaced.  Now, Grey's Anatomy, for example, a former Emmy darling that has seen its best days come and go, is never getting back on top of that mountain.  Let's say for the sake of argument it has an outstanding season next year (it's 37th season if I'm not mistaken) and Pompeo blows the roof off the place.  It still wouldn't be enough because....it's just not an important show anymore and they don't seem to pay attention to that.  The only time you really see an older/out of favor show break back in is in the guest actor or actress categories.    

I don't do a lot of lamenting about snubs but the fact that Callie Thorne wasn't even nominated for the Rescue Me episode where they're doing the 9/11 interviews and she does this monologue about the character's late husband all in one, close take has to be up there on my list.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, kiddo82 said:

One of my biggest gripes with the Emmys is that it's really hard to break into an acting category (or any category) with a show that has already fallen out of favor overall with the voters.  For example, just about everything that gets nominated is either a shiny new toy or an old favorite/"prestige" show that has yet to be displaced.  Now, Grey's Anatomy, for example, a former Emmy darling that has seen its best days come and go, is never getting back on top of that mountain.  Let's say for the sake of argument it has an outstanding season next year (it's 37th season if I'm not mistaken) and Pompeo blows the roof off the place.  It still wouldn't be enough because....it's just not an important show anymore and they don't seem to pay attention to that.  The only time you really see an older/out of favor show break back in is in the guest actor or actress categories.    

I don't do a lot of lamenting about snubs but the fact that Callie Thorne wasn't even nominated for the Rescue Me episode where they're doing the 9/11 interviews and she does this monologue about the character's late husband all in one, close take has to be up there on my list.

That's why I don't care for awards shows in general.  While I understand that a good script will give you better opportunity to act well, if you act the crap out of a bad script, you deserve to be at least considered for best actor.    And just because hardly anybody watches a certain movie or TV show doesn't mean that the awards people shouldn't.  

• Love 9

I am not into awards show but my UO is people who claim something was robbed when something they have never seen or listened to has won the award. If you have never seen it, how do you know that? Even if what you have seen was great. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

I am not into awards show but my UO is people who claim something was robbed when something they have never seen or listened to has won the award. If you have never seen it, how do you know that? Even if what you have seen was great. 

I felt the same way when I used to watch Dance Moms.  People will post the dance on YouTube and if it didn't come in first, people will say "that should have won."  Now, sometimes, we do see the winning dance, but even then, we're not comparing apples to oranges because it's an edited version.  But, more often than not, we don't see the winning dance.  I'm always like "Oh, what was the winning dance like?" and am, of course, answered with the sound of crickets.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Enigma X said:

That's why I've always said that Kevin Spacey better have given the performance of a lifetime in American Beauty in order to deserve the Oscar over Russell Crowe's performance in The Insider.  I've never seen American Beauty, so I can't say he didn't deserve it, but Russell Crowe was fucking brilliant in The Insider.

• Love 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

That's why I've always said that Kevin Spacey better have given the performance of a lifetime in American Beauty in order to deserve the Oscar over Russell Crowe's performance in The Insider.  I've never seen American Beauty, so I can't say he didn't deserve it, but Russell Crowe was fucking brilliant in The Insider.

I have seen American Beauty (which I think is overrated, pretentious, soulless junk), and Kevin Spacey spends two hours being a vile, hateful, punchable lecher who talks like Inspector Gadget, so, no, I don't think he earned the Oscar. At all. 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 13
9 hours ago, Enigma X said:

<raises hand> I'm one of them!

Babe was robbed of EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!  

Ryan Gosling was far better in Blue Valentine than the Oscar nominated Michelle Williams.

Belleville Rendez-Vous from The Triplets of Belleville deserved the Oscar over Into the West from Lord of the Rings.

And there's more . . . but I won't list them (Emmanuelle Riva. ROBBED).

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Couldn't agree more.  The first VHS tape I ever bought! People will still be loving it in 50 years.    

I still can't believe Empire of the Sun won the Oscar instead of E.T. or Shakespeare in Love instead of Saving Private Ryan.

• Love 6
(edited)
10 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Couldn't agree more.  The first VHS tape I ever bought! People will still be loving it in 50 years.   

I still cry when I watch Babe.  Plus,  if the Academy had awarded James Cromwell Best Supporting Actor, they wouldn't have to skip showing the winner in retrospective award ceremonies (although Kevin Spacey was excellent in The Usual Suspects).  

Edited by MissAlmond
  • Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

I have seen American Beauty (which I think is overrated, pretentious, soulless junk), and Kevin Spacey spends two hours being a vile, hateful, punchable lecher who talks like Inspector Gadget, so, no, I don't think he earned the Oscar. At all. 

I once would've said "but if he made you believe it, then it is a great performance", but now it sounds a lot like it's just his real personality, so maybe not.  I will confess to still thinking he was really terrific in LA Confidential.  Which was robbed of that Best Picture Oscar.

8 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I still can't believe Empire of the Sun won the Oscar instead of E.T. or Shakespeare in Love instead of Saving Private Ryan.

Gandhi won Best Picture the year E.T. was nominated.  Which leads me to express two very unpopular opinions: 1) I hate E.T., and 2) I think Shakespeare In Love is a much better movie than Saving Private Ryan.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 8
On 15/07/2018 at 12:19 PM, Ohwell said:

That was a heck of a good movie.  Haven't seen it in years.  She went to Sir Robert Borden H.S., so she must be a good actor.  LOL

56 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I think Shakespeare In Love is a much better movie than Saving Private Ryan.

Agree!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Which leads me to express two very unpopular opinions: 1) I hate E.T., and 2) I think Shakespeare In Love is a much better movie than Saving Private Ryan.

Completely with you on point 2.

• Love 3

Regarding award ceremonies, the nominating committee seems to nominate from a pool of about 6-8 TV shows/films/albums. It's the same works getting all the nominations, actors/artists from those, etc. It gets very repetitive. There are hundreds of movies/TV/albums every year, mix it up a little. And yes, someone can give a great performance in an otherwise not-that-great show/movie. I wish those would get some recognition.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ChromaKelly said:

Regarding award ceremonies, the nominating committee seems to nominate from a pool of about 6-8 TV shows/films/albums. It's the same works getting all the nominations, actors/artists from those, etc. It gets very repetitive. There are hundreds of movies/TV/albums every year, mix it up a little. And yes, someone can give a great performance in an otherwise not-that-great show/movie. I wish those would get some recognition.

Yep.  My point exactly.  Every movie and TV show needs to be watched by at least one person on the committee.  Maybe not every episode when we're talking TV shows, but at least 3 epis.  And acting should be judged on the acting, not on the script.  Although, as I mentioned before, a better script will very likely bring out a better performance and I'm not trying to deny that.

And, just a quibble on the guest actor on a TV Series.  Gerald McRaney won the emmy in that category last year for This Is Us.  And he's nominated again for This Is Us.  I don't think that should happen in the guest category.  You should only be eligible for an emmy in the guest category for your first year on a show.  Otherwise, I feel you're getting an advantage as the other nominees didn't have prior year's experience as the same character on the same show.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

And, just a quibble on the guest actor on a TV Series.  Gerald McRaney won the emmy in that category last year for This Is Us.  And he's nominated again for This Is Us.  I don't think that should happen in the guest category.  You should only be eligible for an emmy in the guest category for your first year on a show.  Otherwise, I feel you're getting an advantage as the other nominees didn't have prior year's experience as the same character on the same show.

I'm not too upset about the guest role nominees, but the "limited series" is the one that has me scratching my head.  To me, that means a short, 1 season series--what used to be called a mini-series a couple of decades ago.  Last year, Big Little Lies won, which seemed right--until it was announced that BLL was coming back for a second season.  I fail to see how "limited" that is!

• Love 8
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I once would've said "but if he made you believe it, then it is a great performance", but now it sounds a lot like it's just his real personality, so maybe not.  I will confess to still thinking he was really terrific in LA Confidential.  Which was robbed of that Best Picture Oscar.

Gandhi won Best Picture the year E.T. was nominated.  Which leads me to express two very unpopular opinions: 1) I hate E.T., and 2) I think Shakespeare In Love is a much better movie than Saving Private Ryan.

1. I totally agree. I wanted L.A. Confidential to win so bad I think I held my breath the whole time they were announcing the nominees and winners. 

2.  I think Elizabeth was better than both of them.  I don't usually like movies based in that time period, but that one had me riveted. 

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Shannon L. said:

1. I totally agree. I wanted L.A. Confidential to win so bad I think I held my breath the whole time they were announcing the nominees and winners. 

2.  I think Elizabeth was better than both of them.  I don't usually like movies based in that time period, but that one had me riveted. 

My problem with Elizabeth is that I'm far too familiar with the time period to be able to just sit back and enjoy.   I do, however, think Cate Blanchett should've won Best Actress, even though I liked Gwyneth Paltrow's performance.

• Love 10
11 hours ago, WarnerCL45 said:

I think Shakespeare In Love is a much better movie than Saving Private Ryan.

I don't like either of them. It was just too much of everything. Utterly unsubtle.

Shakespeare in Love is just boring and bland. I can't remember anything about it but I'm fairly certain I saw it.

• Love 1