Type keyword(s) to search

S32.E01: I'm A Mental Giant

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Starting next week, I'm going to watch "live" and record Arrow. I'm thinking the episode would've been cut to sixty minutes (mild chuckle) had Brawn not needed the revote. And I knew they would tie because there was too much time left. What did the seasoned viewer expect to happen? "Well, good news is that you guys get flint. The better news . ..  [reaching into a trunk] . . . you're about to see Lil Jeffery." And then the ventriloquist act would begin.

As somebody who identifies more with intelligence than strength and looks, I'm glad the Brains tribe isn't a total clusterfuck. Or they could have been cast better this time. J'Tia probably would have sent Koror to TC before the merge. And it looks like Jason and Scot-With-One-T have a monopoly on ugly tattoos. Maybe that's the real reason Darnell got voted off over Alecia/"Blondie." Meanwhile, I'm somewhat happy that I don't have to look up names right now. Most of the 20 and 30-something white people are usually a blur for me.

So .. .how bad is Caleb? I know Big Brother doesn't cast for intelligence, so my expectations are low.

Maggot in the ear? Ew. Might have been fun if it steered its host (damn . . . lost with names) throughout this season. Great . . . now I'm wondering how Shinichi and Migi would fare on Survivor. </animegeek>

I'm glad Tai is still in the game. Not a bright move digging up an idol at the dead trees, but he does have the potential to be the cuddliest older Asian male this side of Yau Man.

ETA: Might have made more sense if this was a "collar" season, because Tai is totally "No Collar." Maybe Burnett isn't going back to that well again.

• Love 4

I like the idea that there's one mismatched person on each tribe.  Would make sense.

In regards to Jennifer and the bug; not that Survivor is short on showing us medical personnel coming into camp, but I wonder if they did edit any of that out.  That, or I remember during WA when Max had that wart on his foot, and he said that medical was standing to the side giving them advice for how to get rid of it.  I'm guessing that might have been the case here.

• Love 5

Whoa, Tai... you can't win on the first day but you sure can lose... and what's with this "I'm a gardener I respect all life... unless it might have an idol at it's roots!" Those grubby hands I think are the Survivor version of being caught red handed. Not good.

I think that Liz is stunning, and easily the best looking woman on the cast and she's on the once-again-destined-to-fail Brains tribe? Ugh. I hope she stays around.

Good ole B-Smoke Cowboy (as I thought he was saying the first 50 times on Big Brother instead of 'Beast Mode') is looking good, I am curious to see how he does and what kind of an edit he gets. He seems to be playing it smart on what looks like the frontrunner tribe. If his issues with women don't rear their ugly head again he could be a contender... or an at-the-merge boot if they're looking for a threat to vote out. Dunno.

Jennifer, I've got an idea for you... shake your head!!! If you've got a bug in your ear GET IT OUT! Duh... Pour some water in your ear, do something beside sit there and agonize about some zombie bug eating your brains!! Now that it's daytime get your head under water!! At least it wasn't that neon leech that they used to make the guards in Beastmaster! But, oh deer gahd... Welcome to the Brawn tribe!

Jeff's sitting on a log people!! Did the tribal council area burn down pre-production or something?? They are usually so built up and ornate and here Jeff's sitting on a log with no shelter in sight. The hell??

That is officially the first time we've seen someone not figure out the CAP on the voting marker, right?? Oh Alicia, not the sharpest knife in the drawer, huh? It's amazing they kept her.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 7

I know they probably don't ask people on how to spell their names for TC but the butchering on spelling of these names are just flat out hilarious. Are they getting tips from Rodney "The Name Butcher"? That guy who wants to form multiple alliances on Brawn spelled her name all kinds of wrong. IDK who taught him that's how Alicia is spelled but her name is spelled Alecia.

OMG and that worm in that woman's ear was just disgusting and when the others saw it, they didn't immediately grab it, they just stared at it. I wonder why she didn't ask for a medic right away? If I felt something in my ear and it was causing me great pain, I would ask for a medic ASAP.

They mostly got the brawn tribe right with the exception of Alecia. She's proven to be useless. Only beauty is Caleb and I question the rest but I can see the Asian being on the tribe for having inner beauty. The rest don't have outer beauty.

At least the brain tribe don't have a J'Tia on their tribe. They seem capable.

No eye candy at all this season, most of them look like they got off the set of Jerry Springer. At least when they did do brains, beauty and brawn there was eye candy in Jeremiah, Woo, & Spencer.

• Love 4

Great premier. So much to say so I'll just hit it with some bullet points.

*Aubrey....I thought we were looking at a Day 2 Quitter. Also her being a "social media marketer" made me realize a single day doesn't go by that I don't hear the words "social media". Makes me sentimental for the days when that term was not yet coined.

*Hooray for the CETI EEL....after over 30 years since it's last appearance it gets to dust off its SAG card and make an appeareance in the contruction worker's ear!

Seriously...forgive the pun but I thought it was "all in her head" as in psychosomatic....so I was surprised when there really was a bug...blood and all.

*ObamaWannabe....freaks me out. That dude should try and get the voice down and make an fortune as an impersonator.

*Debbie is playing wayyyyy to hard wayyyyy to fast....she's giving me a Shereen vibe.

* I was groaning when I heard "professional poker player" with Vanessa still fresh in my mind...but all was forgiven by may admittably shallow appreciation of how her massive fakes fill out a bikini.

*Youman Light seems interesting but I'm wondering what was up with the producers planting people like him on the beauty team and blondie on the brawn team. There must be a method to their madness.

*I don't know how many more seasons will run but I could have gone everyone of  them without ever seeing a castaway drop a deuce in the ocean.

*Will Beastmode Cowboy go full on stalker mode this season?

*Neal is smarmy and I want him gone sooner rather than later. Go suck on a pudding pop icecream man.

And then we have NICK who I have saved for last because he is loathsome. He thinks he is all that but he's the opposite. As a straight guy I can admit there have been contestants that could make me temporarily switch teams (Woo I'm looking at you) but Nick ..no way. He's not all that good looking and his height just make him looks gangly and awkward. But what really bugs me is....you can tell the character of a person by the way they treat the Humane as in animals and birds.

The way he savagly grabbed that chicken by the NECK when it was loose told me all I need to know about him. The way he roughly handled it reminded me of an inlaw I have who cruelly has no problem grabbing a grown cat by the scruff of its neck and carrying that way. Just cruel....so Nick the douche can't exit stage left fast enough for me.

• Love 17

I agree with voting out Darnell over Alicia. Darnell didn't prove himself to be particularly useful, and he did make the mistake of losing the mask. Had he not lost the mask, they would never have been in the position they were of almost catching up. Plus, he's just weird. No one would have known he was taking a dump if he had actually gone farther out into the water. Instead, he stands in water a foot deep, drops his shorts and then crouches down. Yuck. At least wait to drop the shorts until further crouched down in the water.

I don't get the "I'm better looking than most people and my looks have made things easy for me". Do people find him attractive? I would think most women (and apparently Tai) would find Caleb more attractive.

I wanted so much to like Tai. He doesn't fit in because he's old, Asian, not pretty, skinny, and apparently gay. I always like to root for the underdogs that don't fit in. But he completely lost me when he was bitching about "I disappear for 30 minutes to look for the idol and all of a sudden they are all looking for me and talking about me, it's like high school." Well, DUH. Of course everyone is paranoid. If you're going to look for the idol, pretend like you need to take a dump and only look in 10 minute increments. He's on a game show that is very much about social interaction and he's complaining that it's like high school? Lost me.

I haven't seen Big Brother in ages so I'm not familiar with this Caleb, but it seems the hate is strong. Honestly, I didn't think he was bad. He seems to work hard and have a good attitude and got along well with his tribe mates.

I don't understand why ear bug girl didn't ask medical to flush her ear. Was she afraid they would pull her? I doubt they'd pull her for a bug. I saw blood on the outer ear, was that from the bug biting or was it from her scratching? I hope she got it looked at because that could get infected.

• Love 5

Ugh.  Hate the ER doctor and Nick from Beauty right away.

Tai is on Beauty?  Okaaaaay.

Scot Pollard is an asshole, and I don't watch Big Brother, but I understand Caleb is an asshole, too? At least Pollard admitted right away that he's a retired basketball player.

So many ugly tattoos.

Don't like Debbie.  She's too full of herself.

So people don't trust Tai because he was looking for an idol.  Wouldn't they all?

How is Jason still so pale after everybody else is sunburned so badly?

Why would Alecia not say if she had an idol when directly asked?  I mean, just lie, if you have one, but don't be dodgy.

Was Peachie lobbying to keep Darnell?

So the only thing the Beauty team got was a flint, and now Brawn has one too, so the only benefit Beauty got from coming in second was not going to Tribal Council?

Did Tai say something about having a boyfriend?

• Love 4

OH oh oh when Nick said life is easy for him because he is so good-looking I had to look again to see if someone else was talking because I find him fug as hell.

I thought the same thing- he isn't attractive to me at all, he looks like an ostrich.

• Love 15

Scot Pollard is an asshole, and I don't watch Big Brother, but I understand Caleb is an asshole, too? At least Pollard admitted right away that he's a retired basketball player.

Pollard may be an asshole, but he played for a number of years on our local NBA team. It was a great team and a lot of fun to watch, and Pollard was one of the reasons why, so I have a bit of a soft spot for him.  I hope he doesn't blow it.

Was the ice cream guy the mismatch on the Brains tribe? Not that guys who own ice cream stores can't be brainy, but I must have otherwise missed whatever it was that made him brainier than the average Joe.

• Love 2

Was the ice cream guy the mismatch on the Brains tribe? Not that guys who own ice cream stores can't be brainy, but I must have otherwise missed whatever it was that made him brainier than the average Joe.

I scanned his bio, and I think he doesn't just own an ice cream store like he went out and bought a Cold Stone franchise... he started his own brand from scratch and built it up into a success. That would require some smarts and business acumen.
  • Love 7

Did Tai say something about having a boyfriend?

I just found this on the Entertainment Weekly website:

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Okay, Jeff, tell us about the big theme for season 32.What made you want to return to the Brains vs. Brawn vs. Beauty theme that you did in season 28 for Cagayan?

JEFF PROBST: It was during casting. As we started seeing people, it became obvious we had another really clear division of brains, brawn, and beauty. For instance, a woman who scored a perfect SAT, a former NBA bruiser, and a Vietnamese gay gardener who loves all living things.

Soooooooo, I guess that's exactly what Tai said.  I thought I heard him say that too

yay.  beast mode caleb...helllooooo nurse.  i guess there will be a lot of mute watching or survivor till game of thrones comes on.  caleb is so yummy to look at but not much to listen to, bless his heart.  i wonder if he can grow a beard.......and how he looks 30 days of limited eating.  i need to revisit those naked pics of him online, lol.

On keeping Blondie... if you are the dominant three in a tribe of five it is a lot more comfortable if the other two hate each other (Cydney and Alecia) than if the other two are strongly allied (Cydney and Jarnell). Who did what in the challenge is fluff.

• Love 8

I actually feel sorry Alecia. She's obviously on the wrong tribe. Probst & Burnett had a cute blonde and needed to mix it up bit and said lets screw her and everyone else up. So she's on the Brawns Tribe?!? I didn't hear Probst assessment why she is on Brawn but I'm sure it's BS. That said, she might be so grateful to the other three who kept her that she might be in a good spot now.

• Love 3

I actually feel sorry Alecia. She's obviously on the wrong tribe. Probst & Burnett had a cute blonde and needed to mix it up bit and said lets screw her and everyone else up. So she's on the Brawns Tribe?!? I didn't hear Probst assessment why she is on Brawn but I'm sure it's BS. That said, she might be so grateful to the other three who kept her that she might be in a good spot now.

Jeff's explanation was that her father was a boxing promoter and I guess she grew up around the sport (so it supposedly makes her a no nonsense badass).  Typically there is usually one or two individuals that are a stretch on these themed seasons, but Alecia is quite a stretch.  

• Love 6

Nice comeback from Aubry.  Looked like she was going to be the first vote or even an early medivac, and then she stormed back to own that challenge --- between diving for all four oars and then crushing that puzzle with Liz, Aubry was the brain tribe's MVP.

Part of me thinks that someone going off to look for idols shouldn't be as big a deal since, c'mon, they all know they're there and surely everyone is curious.  That said, there are so many recruits within these casts who might only have a cursory knowledge of the game that they actually would take idol-searching as an affront and a breach of trust.  So the moral of the story is....be subtle about it, Tai!

• Love 9

I guess survivor has gone mainstream PC.....Tai, beauty tribe....mmmkay.  and half of those girls (yes, they are girls, at least the mental capacity of girls) got thrown in the beauty camp cause they neither fit the brawn or brains category....mmmmkay.

same goes for the brain and the brawn....mishmashed PC casting. 

i guess the yummy caleb can go either beauty or brawn.....but never brain........

nick...great body...he really should be in the brawn camp cause i see no beauty on that face....hey, just being honest.  screw being PC.

i saw about half an episode of vanderpump rules before i had to drive a knife through my skull and change the channel, the girls on "beauty" camp (using the word loosely there) should fit right in there.

joe, the former fbi agent.......hot dilfity doo.

debbie...for someone that old not to have the common sense to shut up.......mmmmkay.

first impression, the ice cream guy looks like the front runner.

Edited by lovebug1975
  • Love 1

Kudos to the cameraman who was on the spot the instant the bug crawled out of that girl's ear.   I know it's the cameraman's job to remain professionally detached from what's happening, but how cold do you have to be to keep filming as the critter turns around and starts back in?   It was the larva of some insect; she's lucky it didn't cocoon up in there and go to sleep after its meal.

I know cockroaches crawling into ear canals is a fairly common thing in housing projects and third world countries, but they're just seeking warmth, not supper.   Usually they can be compelled to leave with a spritz of lidocaine.    But this island thing was eating into her head, just like in Twilight Zone's "The Caterpillar."

The lack of empathy shown by her tribe mates was disgusting.   She was crying in agony and they seemed annoyed with her.  Their concern for her welfare extended only as far as it might affect the challenge.    Their loss was karma.

• Love 23

Not totally jumping on the Tai bandwagon . . . but didn't he say that he was tearing up dead trees while looking for the idol?

Looking up Wikipedia to confirm . . . the Brawn tribe is officially "To Tang." That looks a little like "Toetag" if you squint a little.

ETA: Looks like Cyndey and Jason flipped on Darnell. Also forgot about Pete's resemblance to the President. I guess he could make that grade, but I'm spoiled on Jay Pharaoh and Jordan Peele's portrayals.

• Love 1

they seriously need to make survivor naked, like in naked and afraid.....just because ;)

if you poop in the water and lose the mask a day later, it will be hard to justify the race card as a defense to stay in the game.  the mere thought of having "your shit" on their eyes, though silly, is still disturbing.  swimming with their eyes unprotected from your poop, lol......ugh.

Edited by lovebug1975
  • Love 2

No problem with the vote. Either was an understandable choice. The team only needed to catch up because of Darnel, so "they caught up" doesn't do anything for me. They were half-second behind. Without all the lost time, they don't lose.

I am also thrilled that "keep the tribe strong by keeping a penis" didn't rule the day for once. Lots of dudes on Survivor have been useless in challenges. Keeping a dude simply because he is a dude doesn't automatically mean your tribe is stronger.

I found myself liking everyone. Or, at least, not disliking anyone. I hate the theme of the season, but I like the cast. Well, except for the sharp-nosed manscaper on Beauty. He is kind of an ass. Not terribly attractive, either.

I felt the editing was solid this time. With all the time spent discussing why people on Brains should go, I thought they would lose. I think the Tai misstep was used to set up his ouster down the road. There wasn't an obvious second choice on Beauty, though, so I wasn't too convinced they were headed for TC tonight.

• Love 7

Apparently the Brawn tribe was nowhere near close to finishing that puzzle and it was not the close match with Beauty as it appeared to be in the edit, atleast according to Eliza who I am sure was told this by Liz. 

I think the women on the Beauty tribe are the ones to watch this season as the edit clearly shown them to be the players on that tribe forming a tight alliance and deciding who among the men on the tribe that they would pull in to their alliance.  I don't think we got a real strategic thought from any of the men in that tribe.

Edited by LanceM
  • Love 6

I can't get it out of my head that this was filmed BEFORE the season we saw end back in January. When we see the finale it's going to have been like a year since the final tribal for this one.

And I think all of the build up about how brutal this season was is them hinting to us another part of the reason this was... deferred. I bet the edit/talking head selection/crafted storyline had to REALLY be tweaked a lot.

Oh, also since it can't be said enough. Fuck Big Brother Caleb. Fuck him. And I don't mean literally.

• Love 2

Honest to God, Beast Mode Cowboy was almost likeable tonight.

Hmm. Subjective I guess. I thought he was the same irredeemable jackhole as always. I mean, for example, it wasn't enough for him to say he was confused why Tai was on the Booty Tribe... he had to elaborate in depth on EVERYTHING that was wrong/different about Tai.

That's Beast Mode Asshole in a nutshell.

*ObamaWannabe....freaks me out. That dude should try and get the voice down and make an fortune as an impersonator.

I've been calling him "Nobama". Edited by Kromm
  • Love 8

I'm ok with the vote, either one could have gone and have it make sense but they lost because of all the time they lost with Darnell not because the girl couldn't do the puzzle which she tagged out of doing pretty fast.

After watching Caleb during his Big Brother season I was expecting him to be more like how he was in the house, but he seems better. May be he's more in his element, or he's grown. I don't know, but I liked him.

• Love 3

My guess is that both Cydney and Kyle both switched their vote to Darnell on the revote. Otherwise, I feel like we would have seen any votes for Alecia on the revote.

Er - I'm pretty certain bounty hunter dude voted for blondie on the revote.

Nice comeback from Aubry.  Looked like she was going to be the first vote or even an early medivac, and then she stormed back to own that challenge --- between diving for all four oars and then crushing that puzzle with Liz, Aubry was the brain tribe's MVP.

You're half-right: she got the first two paddles, then swapped with bounty hunter who got the remaining two (which were both the two deepest)

Is it me or are the producers trying to make it not quite so cushy and luxurious out there, at least to start out?

It IS just you!

Kidding!

But joking aside, they didn't have to do anything deliberate. Nature took care of it for them. And remember, since this was filmed BEFORE the season that just ended (and was actually their first season in this setting), they a.) weren't yet aware of the thorns/brutality of the local environment and b.) were in an even hotter time of the year

• Love 4

Well, I'm unenthused, but it's Survivor, I'll watch.  I can tell I was not quite able to keep my interest up, because some of the things you guys have mentioned (especially the blondie-basketball googly eyes) passed me by.  I think maybe the bug-in-the-ear scenario may have finally cured me of the sadness that I will never play Survivor.  I honestly thought she was just losing her mind or something, but the reality was even more horrible!  I don't know how much "THE MOST BRUTAL SEASON EVER" I can take, I just do not watch the show for that.  Give me a cushy, professionally built shelter any day, with no bugs burrowing into brains.

susannot, on 17 Feb 2016 - 6:28 PM, said:

I never watch Big Brother but I am disturbed to say that I find Caleb hot.

I was going to post this in his thread.  I have gathered from this board that he's some kind of stalkery feller, so it was a bit funny that the girls were like "He was on Big Brother, that means we can trust him!"  But mostly I was just thinking, "that is a pretty man."  He's so chiseled though that I feel like he has like no body fat and may suffer out there without food etc.  I guess he did OK at the challenge though, this time.

zoological, on 17 Feb 2016 - 9:58 PM, said:

On keeping Blondie... if you are the dominant three in a tribe of five it is a lot more comfortable if the other two hate each other (Cydney and Alecia) than if the other two are strongly allied (Cydney and Jarnell). Who did what in the challenge is fluff.

Though I'm not sure the Brawns are this clever, I'd like to think this is the reason.  It's an actually good one, whereas "he blew it in the challenge!" is always, to me, a dumb reason.  If you think "he will blow it in the next challenge," then fine, that's a reason.  But what's done is done, who cares about the previous challenge.

lovebug1975, on 17 Feb 2016 - 10:40 PM, said:

if you poop in the water and lose the mask a day later, it will be hard to justify the race card as a defense to stay in the game.

Where is this "race card" stuff coming from?  When did anybody say anything about race?  Did I miss that too?

Nashville, on 18 Feb 2016 - 12:46 AM, said:

You're half-right: she got the first two paddles, then swapped with bounty hunter who got the remaining two (which were both the two deepest)

You're thinking Bug-In-The-Ear Lady, but Aubry is Dehydration-or-Anxiety-Freakout? Lady, on the Brains tribe, who got all the paddles (and I think did the puzzle too??).  I was glad she managed to pull through it and do well.  My feeling is that most people who have a breakdown have it in the first week, and then they can bounce back, maybe she was just getting it over with.  (I was yelling at the screen in the prelude to her attack or whatever it was, because why on earth would you be weaving palm fronds out in the sun like that, when you're dying from the heat and sweating so much it's dripping from you?  It just makes no sense)  Although I find Debbie as annoying as anyone (I think she's more like Phillip than Coach, personally) she seemed to be doing a good job of taking care of Aubry there, so I'm willing to wait and see.  I don't think she'll win in a million years, but she might at least turn out to be less irritating than she seems.

Who do I think will win?  No idea.  I wasn't really getting any winner vibe off of anyone.  Maybe that ice-cream dude?

• Love 10

Quick post before work mad right out of the gate!   I hope the Brawn tribe gets pagonged one by one no matter how boring it is (except for the black woman) because they are too stupid to play. 

You don't punish someone for a mistake if that person can move you forward in the game.  Seriously!?!?!!?  Send someone much bigger and stronger home to keep a 90 lb lazy can't do anything person??????     She is  so clueless, laughed when they were at the puzzle and was just standing there till the other girt yelled at her to get some pieces.

No No Jeff, we send people home as punishement. Screw game strategy.  ARGH!

Especially one who did something in cages with tigers which sounds like swimming with dolphins all of which I hate with all my heart so Blondie was my most hated player right out of the gate.   I was so psyched she was going home first.  Dumb Asses!

I hope they lose every challenge. 

And they have given the reins of decidemanship to Mr. I wear plastic furniture coasters in my ears without even speaking up!

Edited by marys1000
  • Love 12

I got the feeling that someone from medical or production instructed bug lady to lay down and have someone watch to see if it crawled out for food/air. Dunking your head in the ocean isn't going to accomplish jack, though she may have tried that too. I mean, people have to have bugs surgically removed from ear canals sometimes, so it's not always as easy as giving it a shake or trying to drown it out. That probably makes it cling even harder. Ugh!

All in all, I thought this was a good premiere. I like more people than I dislike so far.

• Love 9

Honest to God, Beast Mode Cowboy was almost likeable tonight.

My husband and I have a theory that each team has a "wrong" member. Tai should be on brains or brawn and that trainwreck of trash Alicia should be on beauty. If we're right, somehow this "twist" is going to show up later in the season. But, we're usually wrong.

The way Blondie and the NBA player threw looks at each other through the episode was weird. I think they have mutual crushes.

NBA guy is Scot and he almost booted Alecia last night that doesn't say crush to me

Blondie and NBA guy are smitten with each other and I don't think the bounty hunter cared much either way, so he just went with the only other guy he felt was on the same level physically. I would imagine that now the body builder girl and the woman who kicked ass even after having a bug in her ear are out for Blondie. She grabbed onto the 2 big guys and is going to try to ride them all the way to the end.

Scot almost booted her last night and didn't show any signs of liking her from what I seen.

• Love 1

Jeff's explanation was that her father was a boxing promoter and I guess she grew up around the sport (so it supposedly makes her a no nonsense badass).  Typically there is usually one or two individuals that are a stretch on these themed seasons, but Alecia is quite a stretch.  

Ha!  Like the brothers on TAR who claim they are smart because their mom went to Harvard?

I agree Debbie is giving off a Shirin vibe.  Quit trying to be a character!

I sympathize with the cast having to wait a year or so for the results.

I can't figure out why Tai is on Beauty and Alecia is on Brawn. Not the first word that would come to mind looking at either of them.

No one really stands out yet as someone I want to root for. They all seem kind of dumb and/or annoying. Can I root for the worm?

This question is brought up numerous times on this thread and I'm surprised no one has figured out the answer. Alecia is on Brawns and Tai is on Brawn because there needs to be a male-female balance on the tribes. If they were on the tribes they really belong, the male-female ratio wouldn't be equal. That's all.

Did they explain why Jennifer didn't have a medic look at her?  When someone is curled into a fetal position and screaming in pain for any length of time, a medic isn't unwarranted.

I'm pretty sure medical did look at her. Surprised though why they didn't help her. Maybe they couldn't; the maggot was too deep inside and it would require a real doctor's visit with instruments. I assume the medical team acts as first responders out there, that's why they don't do anything that requires more intervention that just some first aid. (Which also confuses me why they refuse to provide ointment/bandages/burn cream for all those horrible injuries we'll yet get to see this season.)

I love how every time Debbie got a confessional, she had a different occupation in her graphic. I kept waiting for Pirate Master's hilarious "Scientist/Exotic Dancer" to show up.

Jeff confirmed on twitter that they keep mixing her professions on the screen, for fun.

The lack of empathy shown by her tribe mates was disgusting.   She was crying in agony and they seemed annoyed with her.  Their concern for her welfare extended only as far as it might affect the challenge.    Their loss was karma.

To be fair, I'm sure they showed her plenty of sympathy; she was probably carrying on like this for hours, and it wears on a person, esp when y ou can't help them. And remember, this is editing; they focused, on purpose, on the moments of annoyance and anxiety about the challenge: foreshadowing.

Apparently the Brawn tribe was nowhere near close to finishing that puzzle and it was not the close match with Beauty as it appeared to be in the edit, atleast according to Eliza who I am sure was told this by Liz. 

Unless there was some very clever editing, you can clearly see that Brawn only had one puzzle piece left to put in. So maybe that shot was from rehearsal or from Dream Team...?

This occurred to me while reading this thread. I firmly believe a lot of the storylines-that-didnt-pay-off that were focused on in the episode, is foreshadowing to a bigger story arc. They do it on Survivor all the time. Tai looking for the idol and not finding it but painting a target on his back will pay off later. He'll eitehr find the idol, or be voted out for being shady. Jennifer being the first person with a real medical situation - which btw could've totally been edited out of the story - makes me wonder if she'll be one of the eventual medevacs. The three beauty girls teaming up - I think that'll be a big story arc this season. I won't be surprised if one of them wins.

Last but not least, I have never been as shocked with a misdirect towards the boot. Alecia was so clearly getting voted out, with Darnell getting the redemption arc with all of his apologizing, and a nice showing at Tribal. Alecia was digging her grave deeper and deeper. I was disappointed and surprised when Darnell went home.

I think I'm going to enjoy this season more than I had expected.

• Love 9

I'm so thrilled to see another B-B-B season, because I really enjoyed the last one. Although, it always tickles me how there are people who seem like they'd be a good fit for several of the tribes, and some who seem like they shouldn't be on their tribe at all. Like Tai - why is he on Beauty? I mean, he's not a hideous troll or anything, but he is older, short and skinny, with glasses. Not someone you would typically look at and think "beauty". And Alecia really does not seem to qualify for the Brawn tribe at all. 

I was also happy to see another option in the challenge, like they did in the first incarnation. Although, it was a bit disappointing since nobody chose it. They kind of let that idea die by the wayside last time, but I hope they don't this time. I think it could be really fascinating if utilized well. 

So I'll do a little breakdown of what I think about the three tribes, or various individuals who stood out to me on the tribe. Being so new, there's still some people I don't have an opinion one way or another. 

Brains - I thought it was interesting that the younger 4 immediately grouped up and wanted to oust the older two, given that Debbie and Joe seemed to be doing the bulk of the work around camp. Debbie seems like someone who could easily grate, but she's a workhorse for sure. And Joe...dude is incredibly fit for someone over 70. Hell, he's more fit than some 20-somethings we've seen on this show. I just think it was a bit premature to think he's going to drag you down at challenges. 

I also found it interesting that Aubrey had her little breakdown and it possibly painted a target on her back, but then she really kicked ass at the challenge. Didn't she pull up all 4 paddles? And she did the puzzle too. I was not expecting that kind of effort from her, and I was very impressed. 

Beauty - I'm probably in the minority, but I was thrilled to see Beast Mode Cowboy! Dude has some issues for sure, but he makes for some great entertainment. 

The one who really stood out to me, though, was Tai. His story about leaving Vietnam gave me chills. And I just love his perspective out there. He is someone that truly appreciates the opportunity he's been given and is going to soak up every minute. He also seems very knowledgeable, but also helpful. A lot of people with certain skill sets go out there and just want to boss people around or dominate. But Tai was happy to try and teach other people in a very kind way. 

I'm just afraid he screwed it all up with his Idol search. Too soon? Maybe, maybe not. But the way he went about it.....You can't just go off on your own that long without some plausible excuse. And WHAT was he doing??? Pulling trees up, roots and all? Did he think the crew went out there 10 years before, buried an idol, and planted some seeds so a tree would grow over it??? I was so confused. 

Brawn - I was actually pleased when they lost the challenge because they were the only tribe who I thought had someone expendable. I still want to get to know everyone on the other tribes better. But Alecia...One and done for me. Again, not sure how she is qualified for the Brawn tribe. She doesn't appear very physically strong. Maybe she's mentally tough, but to me, she just seems like a loaf. She seems to loaf around camp and she gave very little at the challenge. 

I get that Darnell was directly responsible for losing the challenge. But I still would not have voted him out. That was a mistake. It sucked, but it wasn't really a reflection on him as a player, IMO. He seems like a guy who is going to give his all at challenges, and has a lot to give. So now they've voted out a physically fit dude who has a lot of heart, and are left with this meandering girl who I don't have a lot of confidence in. I just thought it was a colossally huge mistake for their first vote. 

I think I'm going to like Cydney. I don't think I'm going to like Jason. For one, he is the almost identical twin of someone I used to know, and subsequently can't stand. But even though I'm not impressed with Alecia, at all, I didn't like him calling her "Blondie". He just gives off a nasty attitude. We shall see. 

I felt so bad for Jenny and that bug!!! Ewwwww. I am glad it came out. I contemplated driving to the store right after the show was over to buy some earmuffs. I was petrified all night that a bug was going to crawl into my ear and burrow into my brain. 

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 5

Like Tai - why is he on Beauty? I mean, he's not a hideous troll or anything, but he is older, short and skinny, with glasses. Not someone you would typically look at and think "beauty". 

With his fluffy geometric eyebrows and very round glasses, I looked at him and thought "muppet".  

Yeah, I know, hell, handbasket, check.  But muppets are also cute, kind of goofy, often well-intentioned and good-hearted, but frequently a little "off" and don't always read situations correctly, so....

Eh... I like the guy.  The preview has me a bit concerned, though.

(And as for the "inner beauty"?  Yep, that's Survivor, known for its subtlety, focus on inner beauty, and nuanced social commentary!)  

• Love 12
OMG and that worm in that woman's ear was just disgusting and when the others saw it, they didn't immediately grab it, they just stared at it. I wonder why she didn't ask for a medic right away? If I felt something in my ear and it was causing me great pain, I would ask for a medic ASAP

I said the same thing. In fact, I was yelling at my TV - "Get it! Get it! It's going to crawl back in!!!!"

As for medical, I wonder if people don't get scared that a call to medical might get them removed? "I'm sorry, but this insect is now inside your brain and we will have to perform surgery to get him out. We must remove you from the game". 

I don't get the "I'm better looking than most people and my looks have made things easy for me". Do people find him attractive? I would think most women (and apparently Tai) would find Caleb more attractive.

I don't find Nick attractive at all. Caleb is definitely better looking, not even a contest - but he needs to lose the rhinestone jeans. 

So many ugly tattoos.

Ugh, right? And I'm a tattoo girl. Nothing I love more than a fully sleeved guy. But wow. Jason looked like his daughters had just scribbled all over him. And Scott had some horrible placement issues. Also none of his crap looked like it belonged together. This is why it's wise to do your research, pick a good artist, and stick with them. You want your work to look cohesive. Not like the art wall outside the Kindergarten classroom. 

I love how every time Debbie got a confessional, she had a different occupation in her graphic. I kept waiting for Pirate Master's hilarious "Scientist/Exotic Dancer" to show up.

Oh my gosh, her running tally of odd jobs (didn't see say "Caretaker for Nuns"???) is the only thing that makes me hope they keep her around. 

The lack of empathy shown by her tribe mates was disgusting.   She was crying in agony and they seemed annoyed with her.  Their concern for her welfare extended only as far as it might affect the challenge.    Their loss was karma.

That really bothered me right now. Maybe I'm naive, but I would like to think that medical situations like that would make people forget the game for a minute and pull together. I'm currently watching One World on my Kindle and while I couldn't stand Colton, I was disgusted at how mad Alicia got at him for leaving the game. His freaking appendix ruptured! Sorry to go off on a tangent, but the ear thing really made me think of that. It really seemed like they were all just annoyed with her, or even thought she was making it up. I don't think the Brawn tribe is showing much cohesiveness so far, and it might not bode well for them. 

I was glad she managed to pull through it and do well.  My feeling is that most people who have a breakdown have it in the first week, and then they can bounce back, maybe she was just getting it over with.

I agree. I'm sure it must be quite a shock to the system to be out there. I'm an emotional person, and I cry a lot. But that doesn't make me weak or anything, it's just how I get almost all emotion OUT - happiness, anger, frustration, fear. The way she powered through at the challenge makes me think she just had to get it all out and hopefully she'll be good to go now. 

She is  so clueless, laughed when they were at the puzzle and was just standing there till the other girt yelled at her to get some pieces.

THAT, right there, was the most telling thing about Alecia - and the most egregious thing she did. It's one thing if you try, but just suck at something. She was just standing there!!! She has zero motivation, zero common sense. I have no use for her. 

• Love 12

Does anyone else get super geeked when Jeff does his intro at the beginning of a new season?  Just me?  I mean, I was smiling like a damn fool.  I don't know what it is about this show, but I love it so.

Caleb was a stalkerish nutjob on Big Brother, but still fine to look at.  I'm hoping that the fact that he's engaged will tone down the crazy.  I'd like to see him go far.  At heart, he does seem like a decent guy.  And I'm sorry, but I laughed when he said he was "murdalizing" the tree.  Let's see how long he goes before he starts "judy-chopping" everything.

Debbie, between her 37 jobs, also works as a server at Red Lobster?!  LOL.  She annoyed me immediately.  How can she not know that the bossy people are usually the first to go?

Nick?  You're only sizzzling hawt when you look in the mirror.  Move along.

Did Scot have some weird tattoos circling his belly button?  Not attractive.

Voting off the lifeguard to keep the Mental Giant who forgot that you have to take a cap off of a marker before you can write with it?  Good luck, Brawn.  I am not feeling any of the Brawn tribe right now, except Jennifer, for hanging in there during what must've been a scary and excruciatingly painful experience.

I'm so glad my show is back.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 5