Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Pilot Part 2

• Start Topic

The fuck was Damien Darhk doing in 1975?!? And why was he looking the same he does in 2016?

He's got magical powers, possibly access to a Lazarus Pit, and Neil McDunnough doesn't age.

Another fun episode, granted we saw the death of a character but a fun episode.

Victor Garber getting his Jack Bristow on to get into the auction, Stein's reactions to his younger self, Jefferson is improving, Cold and Heatwave continue to be themselves with Cold continuing to show that he does want to be a hero, they're playing to Ray's strengths and letting him joke, and Sara giving Stein crap, there was so much to like about this episode. Keep it up guys.

About the only bad thing is that with the music, I'm afraid they won't release this on Blu due to licensing rights being too expensive.

• Love 9

Apparently Darkh was planning to buy some weapons for H.I.V.E.  Also, as per Arrow Season 3, Darkh has access to water from the Lazarus Pit.  He's not quite as immortal as Savage, but pretty close.  Ah well.  Hi, Damien, bye Damien.

And yes, if you're going to do professional crime stuff, you should probably listen to the professional criminals, Ray.  And Stein.

High, ass-kicking Sara was awesome and so was young Professor Stein.

Meanwhile, I'm cool with Carter going out a hero since it means he's going.  Here's hoping that after 4,000 years, Kendra gets a truly awesome rebound romance.  I hear Cisco's still single...

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 4

Meanwhile, I'm cool with Carter going out a hero since it means he's going.  Here's hoping that 4,000 years, Kendra gets a truly awesome rebound romance.  I hear Cisco's still single...

Cold might try to sabotage that relationship though.

RIP Hawkman . . . for now, anyway. If there's an incarnation that lost a Hawkgirl but survived, I'm sure he'll make it on the show. Wasn't the cowboy Nighthawk one of Carter's prior selves?

Liked the bonding between Cold and "Raymond." Also liked Marty Stein: Young & Stoned Douchebag. It's a shame we won't see more of him on this show.

Anybody else expect Kendra to wonder how Ancient Egyptians could speak English? Here's hoping her character gets improved, because I reckon she's the weak link on the team. We got two guys who can fly already, and she doesn't know how to tap into the other 205 lives. Wouldn't blame her if she left to team to move to Central City full-time and date Cisco. She's probably better for him than Golden Glider, and I think Cold knows that.

• Love 1

I'm sure we will see other incarnations of him, but I'm so very excited that Hawkman is out of the equation for the time being.  I was very excited when they announced Hawkgirl and I really want to see her without him.

I loved almost everything and I think this cast really does play well off each other.  I also like that they are showing consequences and that the team can't just be cavalier about this whole thing.  I just wish they had hinted to what period next week's episode is visiting!

• Love 4

Wentworth every week: "Mmm, that's good scenery I'm chomping on."

Since Carter was a dud to me and kind of a creep, I'm glad he's gone (for now.)  However I hope in his next life time he takes it down a few notches.

• Love 4

Hey there Damien Darhk! Fancy seeing you here. I had to laugh at the auction of evil where people bid by shooting their guns. Who organized this thing, Yosemite Sam? 

I really like seeing the team play off each other, and its good to see them mixing up the pairings already. 

Victor Garber is so channeling Spy Daddy here and there, and its making me so happy. He really is a gift. And I loved young Prof. Stein. 

Sara is wonderful, as always. She is just such a great character, kicking ass, smoking pot, and rocking the gogo boots. 

I liked seeing Cold and Ray together. Cold and anyone really. His reactions to all the bizarre stuff happening around him is always fun.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 9

Bye Carter! I will not miss you. I can't wait to see Kendra without the millstone.

The amusement on Sara's and Jax's faces mirrored my own. Both versions of Stein were delightful and I agree that it would be great to see the younger again.

Sara having fun, kicking ass and knowing just how awesome she is is my everything. And she stole a couple of younger Stein's joints. Atta girl.

Excellent follow up.

• Love 5

Bye Carter! I will not miss you. I can't wait to see Kendra without the millstone.

I hope she becomes much more interesting now that she isn't tied to hanging out with Hawkman all the time. I want to see her interact with others. But it sucks that she's two for two in losing people close to her every episode.

• Love 3

This episode was a ridiculous amount of fun.  Seriously, how did they not give Legends of Tomorrow a two-hour pilot to kick off the start of the show?

Absolutely loved the various interactions between the characters.  Heatwave and Stein, Snart and Ray, Sara with both versions of Stein, Stein and young Stein...it led to some wonderful moments between the various characters.  Loved seeing VG get a chance to bring back Spy Daddy and he was highly entertaining during the auction scene.  Did Snart call Ray a "shiny smuck"?

I was kind of amused when they put the three weakest characters together, Jefferson and the Hawks.  Jeff works well with Stein though.  Was surprised when Carter bit it but for a bunch of reasons, that was probably for the best.

Love this show.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 4

Wow the Hawks were even worse but Kendra and Carter were both shirtless so whoever had them in poll for the win.

I loved Sara as always :)

You can tell this was a continuing of last episode. I liked it a lot. I did want to be Cold and punch Ray. He's trying to be that know it all from Arrow and it needed to be punched out of him fast. 

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 1
The fuck was Damien Darhk doing in 1975?!? And why was he looking the same he does in 2016?

He's got magical powers, possibly access to a Lazarus Pit, and Neil McDunnough doesn't age.

Yeah, the DC universe is lousy with immortals, people living for millennia due to various types of age and death defying means. Makes those long living mutants over at Marvel seem like pikers by comparison.

Makes one excited for a possible cameo by The Phantom Stranger. A DC dork can hope.

• Love 2

I loved stoned Sara saying she could fight those guys while unconscious. I'm kind of digging Sara's new F it attitude. As well stealing Marty's joints and knocking him out with bong. 

Seeing Cold and Ray team up was interesting. Ray you should probably let the criminals do the breaking and entering stuff. I do like that we are seeing different character interact with each other and learn things about each other. It seems like Cold is starting to like being part of a team. 

Bye Hawkman. He was starting to come off really creepy. I know they were past loves but he needed to let her make that choice. I now hope we don't see him for awhile so Kendra can try to mesh with the rest of the team. With him gone, she's the weakest link. Jax is okay with Stein even if the actor isn't the strongest. 

• Love 5

This was definitely a better episode than the first half of the pilot. I was more invested this time around in all the characters.

Bye Carter/Hawkman! You might be missed, mostly by just Kendra. But hey, the girl this time is the one that is destined to kill the bad guy. That's a...different take, at least. That's about all that's interesting about Hawkgirl at the moment. I'm glad that they slimmed down the cast by at least one male. Too many males, not enough females. At least we have Sara.

Sara/Stein/Jax: Now THAT is a good trio, just as solid as Team Rogue (Sara/Cold/Heatwave). It was highly entertaining and it was fun not only seeing Stein interact with his younger self, but seeing Sara flirt with younger Stein. And yes, she does look like she could have easily been born in the 70s. Plus, Jax was more likeable! When he loosens up and isn't angry, he's fun! Stoned!Sara was great! Man, they are definitely changing Sara up, but in a way that I think works for her. She needs to have some fun. Jax needs more fun, and I'd love a solo mission with him and Sara. They interacted well. 

Ray/Cold/Heatwave: That was good too. I enjoyed Ray more. I think my initial hesitance about him, due to Arrow, is wearing off. 

Rip was put more in the background this episode, but I'm ok with that. I get that they needed to not listen to Rip, mess up and then have him try to help salvage the mess that they created. Ok, Carter's dead, but Rip showed Stein that his marriage is still existent! 

Overall, I love that they're showing us mixed pairings. I know there'll be the standard Heatwave/Cold and Jax/Stein for obvious reasons, but the fact that they're up for mixing them around makes this show pretty solid for me thus far. 

Some pairings that I'd love see interact more: Rip/Sara, Sara/Jax, Ray/Stein, Ray/Cold, Heatwave/Kendra (maybe he'll help her loosen up too), and just a little more Kendra with everyone else. It'll be easier now that Carter's dead. But I imagine they'll probably be visiting the Hawks' past lives, so he'll reappear. I hope it's with a different actor, but I have a feeling that won't be happening.

• Love 2

On that DC thing the EP's said the most interesting relationship to develop was between Rip and Sara. So I'm looking forward to that. This new Sara seems to have a much stronger personality and won't just sit in a corner listening to orders. 

• Love 1

Sara is different, but she is in a different situation. She is part of a large team she doesn't really know, chasing a villain she has no personal connection too and dealing with coming back from the dead.

She is definitely more relaxed and with a more "whatever" attitude, but I think it suits her and works

With what she has been through.

• Love 1

Good things:

1. Nice bit of rotating the usual groups around, allowing Ray to play off Cold and Sara to play off Stein. That was fun.

2. And whoa, the show that wasn't going to have crossovers has crossovers with Arrow already. Guess it was a good thing that Damien didn't get that close of a look at Ray and Sara - or did he, explaining his later interest in Ray?

3. Nice handwaving for how the show is going to handle the costume issues later.

4. Caity Lotz is getting to have a lot of fun with this, which is nice to see after the way her character was taken through the emotional ringer on Arrow.

Questionable things:

1. So, does time travelling Victor Garber now have memories of meeting up with a cranky old guy back in college? And do any of the rest of us have a chance to improve our current cholesterol ratings by heading back in time to warn our past selves about potato chips?

2. I was about to say that Victor Savage took management lessons from the example of Darth Vader, but then I remembered that this episode was set prior to Empire Strikes Back.

Bad things:

1. Please say this is the end of the Egypt flashbacks, because they're awful..

2. Nice of Vandal Savage to hole up in some of the Arrow sets, wasn't it?  And for young Professor Stein to lead the other characters to a location Flash has occasionally filmed in?

3. I hate to be cruel to Hawkman since he's dead, but wow, hands down weakest part of the show tonight. Part of that was, admittedly, that he was stuck in those awful flashbacks, but putting his dull love scenes with Kendra in between the much more entertaining stuff happening elsewhere did him no favors.

4. I know they have to work together because, well, show, and Vandal Savage certainly wasn't winning any friends in tonight's episode, but I still feel that the "For Carter" motivation at the end there was pretty weak.

• Love 9

I have the feeling I wasn't supposed to be happy when Hawkman died, and yet... YES! Now I don't have to look at his wooden face. Fingers crossed that no one thinks of bringing him to the Lazarus Pit.

Nice moment between Heat and Stein when Heat said he loved Stein's crazy. Also liked it when Cold let Ray know he's not all that. So far Heat and Cold working with the heroes is my favorite part of the show.

Edited by Athena5217
  • Love 5

You know, quarks, if you need a "And now..." section in your recaps, you could focus on identifying the sets. Your annoyance is just hilarious.

Well, I did manage to refrain from complaining - much - about the sets on Arrow and Flash this week. One of the three was bound to get to me!

• Love 1

I'm surprised they didn't get Marty stoned and leave him wondering if the whole thing wasn't a hallucination. And I keep hoping they do something with Firestorm other than make him a poor man's Human Torch. The character is the most powerful character on this team, and his powerset isn't supposed to be "fire shooting guy"- he can transmute molecules. Plus, they've already got a fire guy.

I thought this show was weaker than last week's; it just seemed like a real mess to me. They sort of kind of tried to explain some of the time travel stuff (like handing us a good explanation of why the team couldn't just pop off to times when Savage killed the Hawks because they were participants), but then got itself bogged down in a lot of the other time stuff. So Savage's scientists won't be able to destroy Central City in the future unless they have enough time to reverse engineer Ray's little chip set? Okay, but techically, didn't they have 40 years to do it? Oh, you mean it can only solidify as a timeline if our team doesn't do something about it now? Sure. But then, hasn't Rip's timeline with his dead wife and kid already gotten beyond the "gotta stop it now" point? Ack.

Then there were fun moments with Ray and Snart; with Jax, Sara, and the two Martins; with Heat Wave and everyone. 

This show is much better when it's not stepping over its own toes making things overly complicated with these "timey wimey" shenanigans and trying to explain them and generally anything dealing with the overarching plot, and better when it just focuses on smaller moments dealing with lower stakes scenarios.

Hopefully next week will be better. This was really just part of the same pilot, so maybe they get up and running when they really start into the series proper.

• Love 1

Loved Sara flirting with young Stein and older Stein's reactions.

Of course Damien Darhk is around in the 70s and dressed like a Bond villain.

As great as Victor Garber was on Alias it's great to see him so fun on The Flash and now LoT.

I was shocked that Hawkman got killed so early.

• Love 3

They didn't have a scene where we saw all the characters chasing each other in and out of random doorways in a hotel corridor. I don't know whether to feel cheated or spared.

The overarching time travel plot has already disintegrated. I fear this will quickly leave most of the action pointless, hence dull.

I'm losing track. Captain Cold/Heatwave are a couple because the actors were on Prison Break, right? But what's the in-universe justification. Why are these guys so committed to each other? Especially when they are fighting for the White Canary, why won't they just kill each other?

As for the execution of Hawkman...it occurs to me that Hawkman/Hawkgirl over the ages operates like an open marriage. No wonder they wanted to kill one off!

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 2

In Flash, Cold was the beneficiary of a theft of weapons from Star Labs that included his cold gun and the gun he eventually would give Heatwave. They apparently had been partners in crime prior to that. Cold's sister Lisa also is romantically involved with Heatwave. 

So I don't know if they are necessarily both "fighting" for White Canary.

• Love 3

This show is a lot of fun. Arrow could use some of this lightness and they do a good job of mixing up the team members so far which is nice.

And they killed off one of the worst actors on the show instead of letting them hang around for 4 seasons like Arrow has down with Katie Cassidy. Now, if they kill off Hawkgirl, the show will be perfect.

• Love 1

Damien Darhk in 1975 I was not expecting! Also wasn't expecting Hawkman to die in the 2nd part of the pilot.

Funny one by Ray talking about Cold being a criminal.  "In a different life you could have been an engineer." Wentworth Miller's character in Prison Break was an engineer.

I'm losing track. Captain Cold/Heatwave are a couple because the actors were on Prison Break, right? But what's the in-universe justification. Why are these guys so committed to each other?

From The Flash. They used to be partners doing robberies together. Heatwave was introduced when Cold went to him and asked for help. 

Now, if they kill off Hawkgirl, the show will be perfect.

I was kind of disappointed when she was saved. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 3

I thought that was quite a bit better than last week's, after getting the clumsy intro and set up out of the way. Not perfect by any means, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Hawkman is gone....good. Now let's get Kendra interacting with someone besides him. I'm enjoying the way they're mixing it up with the team-ups. Last week the most fun was Sara/Cold/Heatwave. This week both the Sara/Stein/Jax and the Ray/Cold/Heat team ups were great. And I think Ray's being handled so much better here than on Arrow.

• Love 1

In Flash, Cold was the beneficiary of a theft of weapons from Star Labs that included his cold gun and the gun he eventually would give Heatwave. They apparently had been partners in crime prior to that. Cold's sister Lisa also is romantically involved with Heatwave. 

Heatwave and Lisa were never involved romantically.

• Love 3

2. Nice of Vandal Savage to hole up in some of the Arrow sets, wasn't it?

I was wondering why the house seemed familiar, then Savage was blasted onto the porch and I remembered last week's Arrow episode. Why do they have to destroy a lovely home? As Chicago Redshirt noted, Jax could have carefully changed the wall's molecules to air, zapped  Savage away, then replaced the wall. Then he could have phased through the wall or something equally simple, molecularly. 

I enjoyed this hour  a lot also, which also makes me wonder why the show couldn't get a two-hour premiere. Hopefully, the numbers were up for this episode. If they were, I'd Monday morning QB that the CW should have gone that route. If Part 1 was the highest in two years, this episode might have really put the numbers over the top. We don't have the Waverider and Gideon, so it's just a 'what if' currently.

While I wasn't a fan of Carter, Mr. Hentschel was nice to look at on my TV. I agree that we aren't done with Carter entirely, but maybe Kendra can build on that standing-on-my-own thing she started. (Obviously, Kendra was okay on that score, but she did let Carter bulldoze her in the crossover eps and the first part of the pilot.)

Was I the only one hoping that Ray or Leonard were going to present Carter with the morning star that was in the display case?   Are we going to learn how Kendra "earned" her wings? She was originally a human priestess of Horus, I get that. As a "normal" human, she didn't have wings that just popped out. I really hope Kendra remembers. ( And hopefully, it's not traumatic.)

Ray and Kendra could bond and become friends, due to their respective losses. I don't want Kendra to fall for someone right this minute, but Ray did seem to be feeling something other than "useless" in the sickbay. I watched his reaction to Kendra's "I didn't tell him I loved him!" and there was something.  They could be an interesting pair of buddies.

Now that everyone's gotten their "you lied to us" jabs in ( not unreasonably), maybe they can have Rip tone down the smug? That last, non-speaking image wasn't the greatest look, imo. I like Arthur Darvil and would like to like Rip.

The crew is fun and there's enough through story to play with between Situation of the Week.  I am in for now.

• Love 1

I knew there was a lot of speculation that probably someone from the team will die early on (to set up a "Anything can happen!" feel to the show), but it being Hawkman certainly delights me, since I still think the Hawks dull as hell, but I at least have Kendra around to look at (well, when I'm not staring at Sara, of course...) Plus, maybe this will make Kendra more interesting and have her bond with some of the more fun characters on the show.  I can only hope.

Anyway, I thought this was better then the first hour and overall, the show is just fun, which more then makes up for some of the more questionable stuff.  I also like how they keep changing it up, and I'm enjoying some of the new pairings like Ray/Snart and especially Martin/Sara.  Plus, this was easily the most entertaining Jax has been.  The cast already seems to be geling pretty well together, which is kind of impressive.

Loved Martin acting all big and bad at the terrorist meet, because Victor Garber was totally channeling Jack Bristow in a couple of those scenes.  And all of his scenes with Young Martin was equally awesome.  Always glad to get some high quality Garber action!

I have to say, while I still prefer my normal favorites like Martin, Sara, and Snart, Mick is kind of being the surprise MVP on this show.  Some of his one-liners are just slaying me.  Dominic Purcell might not exactly be a strong actor, but with the right material, he can kind of steal a scene.

Even amongst all the explosions, flying, and fire, I'm still more impressed with watching Sara just beating people down and it being obvious that Caity Lotz is doing at least 99% of her own stunts.  Damn, that woman is good!

Damien Dahrk cameo!  I almost wish he was the big baddie since I don't care about Vandal Savage and Arrow really isn't using him that well yet.

Getting a kick out of how Rip has almost become the father of the ship and is just trying to keep the kids (and Uncle Martin trying to keep up with the cool kids) from ruining their road-trip.  Arthur Darvill sure knows how to act exasperated.  Again, another thing I'm sure he perfected during his time on Doctor Who.

Ok, show, you've got me.  As long as you keep the Snart/Mick snark, Martin delivering lines in the way only Victor Garber can, and Sara/Caity Lotz being the ultimate badass, I think you'll succeed.  Don't fuck it up.

• Love 6

Was I the only one hoping that Ray or Leonard were going to present Carter with the morning star that was in the display case?   Are we going to learn how Kendra "earned" her wings? She was originally a human priestess of Horus, I get that. As a "normal" human, she didn't have wings that just popped out. I really hope Kendra remembers. ( And hopefully, it's not traumatic.)

I don't think it's been said out loud, but the wings are a manifestation of the blessing/protection of the god, Horus.  Presumably they appeared during the Hawks' next life at some point and kept doing so in each following life.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed it.

Goofy, perky Ray is the best kind of Ray. When he told two thieves what type of security system his parents use, and then bounded right up to the alarm box, I laughed. He's such a schmuck, but actually kind of an adorable schmuck.

He and Cold were great together, too. It was pretty funny when that old-timey jail cell fell onto them. But Ray was being so condescending with his, "you could have been an electrical engineer!" thing, and between that and him generally FUBAR-ing everything...well, I was surprised at how patient Cold was with him.

I agree, I don't think they're fighting for White Canary. Cold seems like he's interested in her, but that seems like pretty much the extent of the "love triangle." And with Cold being the way he is (i.e., cold-blooded), maybe he's more interested in using her than in being with her, anyway.

As far as I know, Heat Wave is what's left of Cold's "crew." They're partners in crime, so they're loyal to each other.

Leonard's sister Lisa (aka, Golden Glider) was the other member of the crew, but I don't think she was romantically involved with Heat Wave. Honestly, I'm not caught up on The Flash, so I'm still confused as to why Cold and Heat Wave were fine leaving Lisa behind in 2016.

OK, I feel bad, but Kendra was awful in this episode imo. Her storyline just seems kind of dry-yet-silly to me. This show is such a sausage-fest that I want to give her a chance -- I don't want Sara to be the only woman on board the ship! But now that Carter's gone, she's the worst character by far...I don't know.

• Love 2

Haha Caity said you can hold a joint on the CW but you can't put it in your mouth. What is and isn't allowed on US tv always amuses me. You can stab and murder people left and right but you can't do drugs on screen. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

Down a legend, and the most expendable one at that. While I don't think Cold or Heat particularly care, I get why the others were doing the "for Carter" thing at the end. Ray, Stein, Jax, Sara and Hunter had nothing against the guy and he was part of their team, even if it's still new, and Kendra has long standing feeling for him that are only now starting to come back.

Damien Dark, 41 years later, has probably never seen any of the others, with the possible exception of Cold and Heat since, as criminals they could conceivably have traveled in the same circles. He might not remember Ray's face but I'll bet her recognizes the suit, which might explain why he was so interested in getting it when he captured Ray. 

So now that Savage knows he has time travelers after him, he'll be more prepared from 1975 on. In fact their activities could, in part, be what helps him decide to consolidate his power and take over the world. This episode basically shows if they want to take him by surprise, then each time they attack him and fail they are going to have to continually go earlier and earlier in his timeline or he'll be prepared for them.

I quite liked the second part, even if we had literally everyone acting recklessly and giving Savage way too many advantages over them in this one.

Hawkman's death didn't affect me but it was done well enough and without him, it can only be good for Hawkgirl to stand out a bit more on her own, character wise.

Sara, Jackson and Stein dealing with the latter's younger self was hilarious. I also liked Ray with Heatwave and Cold in this one too.

Nice cameo from Damien in this episode. I wonder will we get a Flash villain in another episode.

Not much of Rip in this one but that wasn't strictly a bad thing, 8/10

Heatwave and Lisa were never involved romantically.

My memory may be bad, but I thought that there was a scene with an on-scene kiss between the two of them. At a minimum, there was a fair amount of flirting.

On another topic, as they go earlier into Savage's timestream, the older Savage should remember their previous interventions, should he not?

It is going to be hard to swallow the lack of teamwork and common-sense if it continues. In both melees (at the weapons auction and Chez Savage), people barely kept their eyes on the prize (Savage). A nuke was set off (which, by the way, seems like a super crazy move by Savage since he can't know that anybody can stop it and as immortal as he is, there's no guarantee that he can survive a nuke) and people are not acting like that's urgent to stop. Also, no one seemingly tries to track down Savage directly or learn about him, despite numerous unconscious goons to interrogate or records to pursue. Given that Savage had killed the Hawks 206 times and killing them empowers him, it seems like having him confront them alone is a big mistake.

• Love 2