Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Giants vs. Dwarves / S02.E06: About Last Knight

Episode Five:

Galavant is fed up with Richard after he trades the Jewel of Valencia for a dragon and travels to find the giants on his own. They are not at all what he expected but are willing to help under one condition – he must help them defeat the dwarves. When they met face to face, Galavant is in for not one but two surprises. Roberta steps in to help bring both men to their senses and attempts to resolve the issues between the dwarves and giants. Gareth tells Sid about his feelings for Madalena. Sid warns Gareth against confessing his feelings, but he is determined, which ultimately leads to a dangerous situation for one of the men. Woodworm sends Isabella to Princess Jubilee’s palace to hand deliver her invitation to her wedding. Things don’t go as planned especially when the crown on Isabella head is accidentally broken,

Episode Six:

Just as their travels hit a new low, Galavant, along with Richard and Roberta, stumbles upon his father, Sir Arnold Galavant. While Richard prepares for battle by training at Arnold's knight school, Galavant learns a few things about the man who abandoned him as a child. Madalena tries to make Gareth's birthday the best day ever, but his idea of a fun time is getting into a bar fight. Isabella returns to Hortensia and banishes Woodworm. Sid, now a wanted man in Valencia, flees to the Forest of Coincidence where he meets Woodworm. Their chance encounter sparks an evil plan. Sid stabs someone with his sword.

Literally impaled by your own sword! Poor Gal...

Love the homages to Les Miz and West Side Story! And Sid finally got a solo!

Isabella is back! Thank you, Princess Jubilee! And I'm glad that her parents finally owned up to their shittiness and that creepy engagement is off. But she still can't catch on that Galavant's message was botched?! Oh well, that's for another episode.

Boy, Galavant had a shitty childhood. Now I'm almost glad Giles didn't come back as his dad...

I knew Madalena would have Gareth whipped, LOL.

• Love 4

Love Tad Cooper! I'm glad he got mentioned in the 2nd episode too! i hope he reappears.

That dragon song was adorable.

The West Side Story and Les Miz songs were great too. Poor Sid, he probably should have worded his song better. Also the knight school was like a scene out of Oliver!, so that makes 3 broadway homages.

So glad that Izzy's back.

Wormwood can be mutilated, but not killed unless by the one king to rule them all. Check.

Lol at the giants and dwarves being the same height and fighting over a badly done bridge.

Laughed so hard when Gareth freaked out and started slaughtering people after that birthday surprise.

The Forest of Coincidence was great too.

Poor Galavant! If only he didn't get distracted by Richard punching those kids. I would have started punching them too if I were outnumbered.

Those poor Hobbits :(

• Love 2

I believe in Tad Cooper and King Richard. I really hope Tad does somehow become a dragon, even if a teeny tiny one.

Curious to see how Galavant gets out of this one. I mean, he was stabbed pretty squarely in the chest.

Loved loved LOVED everything about the giants vs dwarfs war. It was just perfect. As was the Forest of Coincidence. I quite want to go there myself. It seems like a lovely place.

My only complaint is that they didn't really bring up that Galavants dad is a totally different guy...well, actually, they kind of did in that he is now a nice guy when before he was a mean Giles. Hmmm, interesting.

• Love 6

A Les Miz number AND a West Side Story number? What have I done to be so lucky?

The giant vs. the dwarfs was hilarious. I hope we see them again, as they continue to work through their many, MANY differences in height ratio. 

Isn't the Forest of Coincidence where Once Upon a Time is set? 

Izzy is back! Finally! But throw him in the dungeon! The dungeon! 

• Love 4

Ok these 2 episodes were fantastic.

West Side Story - Jets vs Sharks number

Les Miserables - Do You Hear The People Sing

Oliver/Gigi - I swear the Galvant vs Kids song started out Oliver and ended up Gigi (and it was awesome)

The Princess Jubilee Rock song was great as well.

It was great finally getting real Izzy back. The Madalena/Gareth stuff was oddly adorable (altogether I think Princess Jubilee is a better match for Gareth). I also adored the Galavant/Father and Galavant/Sid reunions.

However, the best part was The Forrest of Coincidence. That whole sequence was hilarious.

Oh and I love Tad Cooper.

• Love 6

When the dwarves and the giants started running at each other to fight I thought "wouldn't it be funny if they couldn't tell who was who because 'holy freaking cow they're the same damn height'" and that's where they went with it! Loved it! I'm also going to be singing 'lets mess a whole bunch of dwarves up' forever. 

• Love 8

I'm in the minority.  I thought the whole Giants vs Dwarves episode was filler with a joke that got old fast, even if it did have "King of Bears" Nick Frost in it.  Also, I'm bummed that Princess Jubilee was just a punk (with perfectly shaved armpits, contrary to what she said, thank God) and we didn't get any X-Men references.

And of course the closing of the whole marriage plot would be closed in a juvenile fashion because there's a juvenile on the throne.  Kind of brilliant, actually.

I did like Gareth's reaction to the surprise party (those poor servants), along with Sid's Les Miserable pastiche song and Richard's song about his "dragon". 

I am actually hoping Gareth, Madalena, and Wormwood lay waist to Hortensia because the whole place (and wedding plot) really grates.  Chef and Gwyn have left, trouble is that the jester is still there.  I like him.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 2

Oh, Sid, didn't they teach you in Sword Handling 101 not to throw swords because, you know, you could kill someone?

I was a little disappointed that Anthony Head didn't return as Galavant's father.

Loved the shout-outs to West Side Story and Les Miz.

• Love 3

Unicorns? (Sort of) Dragons? Richard gets all the cool animals.

Loved these episodes, loved the shoutouts to west side story and les mis, espically loved Roberta trying to point out that THEYRE THE SAME HEIGHT! Did find myself missing the chef and Gwynne, though, i love those two. 

I'm echoing that it's nice to have the real Izzy back. her arc is a little bland compared to last season, but there is still time and now she has a weapon, so I'm hopeful. 

I love how they're constantly taking on new musical genres (waiting for the gospel number, tbh) and I espically loved Princess Jubilee's song. If Courtney Love were a princess...

Definitely digging Madelena and Gareth. Last week it was the ears, and this week it was trying to get him a new scar. Never thought I'd say this, but how adorable!?

I'm also glad the plotlines are starting to reconnect again, it was so nice to see Gal and Sid again until those last few seconds. He's the main character, though, he probably won't die.  

• Love 3

Galavant and Richard just wandered off and left Bobbi alone.

Loved the West Side Story song.

"musky"?

Poor hobbits.

"It's a birthday party for you, you kook."

It's a crystal nut bowl.  Nah, it'd never fit.

"It's not bushy, it's correct for the period."

Galavant has younger brothers?

"So many children.  Your wife must be so sore."

Damn, Sid, that was a stupid thing to do.

• Love 4

I couldn't stop laughing. I absolutely adore this show. I think Richard singing to Tad Cooper was genius, and the dwarves/giants mess was hilarious.

Poor Galavant. I would love for Isabella to save him again.

• Love 6

Timothy Omundson is amazing. I watched him sing to a lizard--er, dragon--and I was delighted.

I loved the Sharks and Jets business, especially the line about them both being 5'10''.

Crossing my fingers for heavy chain mail. Galavant is the title character, after all.

"It's correct for the period."

• Love 11

Hobbits! They ate a family of hobbits! What can any other show do that can top that?!?

Tad Cooper was adorable and who here wants to bet it really is a dragon? I think the eye color was off.

The Forest of Coincidence! Ha! Finally a show is honest.

I loved that even Wormwood couldn't keep straight which was the plot and which was the plan.

• Love 4

Hobbits! They ate a family of hobbits! What can any other show do that can top that?!?

That was pretty hilarious in a twisted way.

Bad Sid, you'd think he'd know not to throw swords...

• Love 1

For me, this was the best hour of Galavant to date. I enjoyed every song, especially the Sharks vs. Jets number. As soon as I saw the finger-snapping, I knew I was going to love it!

Even though it wasn't a musical number, I loved the Field of Dreams reference, with Galavant and his father having a game of toss with the cabbage head.

• Love 5

For reasons I won't go into here, I desperately needed last night's episode(s) and they did not disappoint. I can't believe how clever the music and lyrics have been for this show. I find CC to be a must.

Sid's Les Miz fight song, during which he scared off his entire army was amazing. When I saw the "giants," I laughed out loud. That whole sequence reminded me of the Stonehenge bit in This is Spinal Tap, with a whole lot of West side Story thrown in. 

I don't know why more people don't watch this show. It is so perfect and it's obvious that a whole lot of time and effort was put into it.The writers and composers wrote totally original music and lyrics and hilarious scripts..but then the actors also had to rehearse and learn songs and choreography..this isn't some improvised spur of the moment show. Then you throw in the "special effects," and you have a bunch of mini-masterpieces..that nobody is seeing! 

Edited by Jodithgrace
  • Love 13

The West Side Story and Les Miz songs were great too. Poor Sid, he probably should have worded his song better. Also the knight school was like a scene out of Oliver!, so that makes 3 broadway homages.

A Les Miz number AND a West Side Story number? What have I done to be so lucky?

Right?!? So much fun! I was already laughing on 'Do you hear the people sing?' and waiting for the red flag - and busted out laughing as Sid sailed by in a horse cart. tee!

That being said, these weren't my favorite eps if truth be told <ducks cabbage heads>. I'm not sure why. There were lots of parts to love (Roberta is MVP - and the actress is so startling gorgeous when she smiles!) but some of it left me wanting. Maybe I just need to rewatch. I *have been sick, and maybe I was too cranky to enjoy.

I'm glad the wedding s/l is over. I missed CHef and Gwynne. I did like how excited Sid was to see Galavant and the too-long hug. Hee.

• Love 1

I really enjoyed the Madelena/ Gareth scenes. I thought they were adorable. Gareth showering. Madelena wanting to throw Gareth a birthday party and then when he tells her what he actually wants she goes to a bar and tries to get into a bar fight with him. Then she starts an unprovoked war and makes them both happy.

Is it wrong that I am rooting for these crazy kids?

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6

As soon as I saw the giants were average size, that sort of telegraphed the dwarves would be too, but I liked it anyway. I especially loved seeing Nick Frost.

Gareth and Madelana are just so right to me.

The Forest of Coincidence was the best.

Boo to not bringing Anthony Head back as Galavant's dad.

Yay to the Les Miz/West Side Story/Oliver! references. Also there seemed to be a bit of a non-musical "I Won't Say I'm in Love" from Hercules moment when Galavant told Roberta he noticed that she cared for Richard.

• Love 1

I loved Sid's musical number even having never seen Les Mis, so I had no idea it was a reference. I loved every single bit of the giants vs dwarves war, it was so perfect, and every song.

In that pre-season interview with the producers, they said their favorite thing they did was a Gareth musical number 'Your mother's a whore' that ABC eventually said was too risque so it was deleted. Seeing this episode, it was obvious that song would have been during that bar scene (especially since this ep only had 2 songs), so I desperately want a taste of that song. Maybe we can dream of a DVD with bonus features.

I also missed the chef and his gal, but the producers unfortunately said they only had him for 4 episodes this year. Damn

Edited by TheRabbi
  • Love 2

I also missed the chef and his gal, but the producers unfortunately said they only had him for 4 episodes this year. Damn

I said this in Isabella's thread but I think that her storyline has been hampered by the lack of availability for Chef & Gwynne (both Darren Evans & Sophie McShera had limited availability due to other commitments). I'd have much preferred her striking out with them when they left at the end of episode 4 and encountering Princess Jubliee as a trio while adventuring to find Galavant or their way back to Valencia or something.  The whole enchanted tiara plot has fallen flat for me and having Isabella off by herself (thanks show for the S1 cliffhangers that split the main cast up), especially without the presence of the two strongest of the recurring characters has been rough.  It's not that Karen David is a weak actress but this show is, when it's at its best, an amazing ensemble with the various main cast members playing off each other.

• Love 2

Poor Sid - but he should have known better than to trust Gareth to follow the bro code.

IKR!  Especially since the woman Gareth is pursuing happens to be his best friend's current wife (unless the exile implied divorce, in which case my comment still stands).  I think the bro code is a pile of sexist bull, but even I could call that one, Sid!

• Love 1

Chin up...they're back for the finale!

TVLINE | You had a sleeper hit Galavant Season 2 Previewin the Chef character. How will you use him in Season 2?

Well, Chef and Gwynne are now over in Hortensia [where Isabella is being held captive by her young cousin/fiancé, Prince Harry]. Unfortunately, we couldn’t keep Chef just because [The Bastard Executioner’s Darren Evans and Downton Abbey’s Sophie McShera] have gotten so much work now. We had them through, I think, the first four episodes, and then we weren’t going to be able to get them back until the last two.

http://tvline.com/2015/12/30/galavant-season-2-preview/

• Love 2

I'm sad that the ratings are so dismal.  Even worse this season than last season.  It will truly be a miracle if this gets renewed for a third season, but I'm hoping.

The best parts of this episode were Sid's song and the Forest of Coincidence.  

"And the brave lucky few

Who somehow made it through.

Scarred for life and missing limbs,

And needing help to pee and poo!"

The miming of the actions here was just utterly hilarious.

Weakest part was the Princess Jubilee song.  I know it was supposed to be written as this crass song, but it wasn't entertaining at all.  I kept wondering if that was supposed to be a cameo by someone famous that I didn't recognise, a la Kylie Minogue.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

Right?!? So much fun! I was already laughing on 'Do you hear the people sing?' and waiting for the red flag - and busted out laughing as Sid sailed by in a horse cart. tee!

You have reminded me of another possible movie reference, although not a musical number.  The coincidences reminded me of the scene in The Princess Bride, where Wesley says, "Now if we only had a Holocaust cloak..." and one magically appears.  There is a cart in that scene, too!  

• Love 6

Weakest part was the Princess Jubilee song.  I know it was supposed to be written as this crass song, but it wasn't entertaining at all.  I kept wondering if that was supposed to be a cameo by someone famous that I didn't recognise, a la Kylie Minogue.

More pandering by the showrunners to get the show on the air in the UK, is my working theory at the moment.  Sheridan Smith (Princess Jubilee) is headlining the new West End production of "Funny Girl".  I'm assuming she can sing (haven't bothered to YouTube her previous work) but that song did not work - there wasn't enough of a set-up for the scene.  If we'd had any hint or indication that Princess Jubilee wasn't a regular princess before, or there'd been 30 seconds of dialogue prior to the song, the whole scene probably would have worked better.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

More pandering by the showrunners to get the show on the air in the UK, is my working theory at the moment.  

or the simpler answer is, they shoot in the UK, thus it is easy and cheaper for them to hire UK actors.

• Love 5

I loved the giants (well we're short giants) vs dwarves (we're tall dwarfs)

The dragon that didn't spit fire

Sid singing his supporters away

But I disliked the Princess Jubilee number. I figured she was only in the plot for Isabella to ditch the mind control tiara.

The first of coincidence was awesome

• Like 1
  • Love 1

It was clearly a tribute to Les Miserables, but Sid's song also reminded of the chorus from "The Worms of the Earth": They've beat us before and they'll beat us again, but we'll drink from their helmets tonight.

The first thing I thought on seeing Princess Jubilee and friends was Rocky Horror.

Edited by ABay

It occurred to me later what the tall dwarves and the short giants reminded me of -- The Phantom Tollbooth.  Milo encounters the tallest short man in the world, the shortest tall man, the thinnest fat man and the fattest thin man, and they're all the same, nondescript guy.

• Love 4

Let's get her expendable butt out of here!

http://previously.tv/galavant/nobody-on-galavant-needs-princess-isabella/"> Read the story

It's not that Karen David is a weak actress but this show is, when it's at its best, an amazing ensemble with the various main cast members playing off each other.

Yes.  There are certain attitudes I hated on TWoP that I see popping up here, every now and again.  I think it's fair to say that, in my opinion, Mr Blankenship has some biases that I do not share.  I think Ms David is fine (in acting, singing and appearance),and I appreciate having a few women among the main cast.

I loved that even Wormwood couldn't keep straight which was the plot and which was the plan.

We had just watched The Court Jester, which not only had similar jokes, but the "Get it?" "Got it!" "Good!" sequence.  They are certainly stealing borrowing from the best.

• Love 6

How was Simon Pegg not one of the dwarves?!

(I know, I know -- he's gone Hollywood blockbuster and is busy with Star Trek etc etc.)

I think Ms David is fine (in acting, singing and appearance),and I appreciate having a few women among the main cast.

Me too -- and a woman of color as well. I sure would like to keep her non-expendable butt-of-color around, aaaannnd that sounds creepy.

• Love 8

Yes.  There are certain attitudes I hated on TWoP that I see popping up here, every now and again.  I think it's fair to say that, in my opinion, Mr Blankenship has some biases that I do not share.  I think Ms David is fine (in acting, singing and appearance),and I appreciate having a few women among the main cast.

taking to Isabella thread.

Sid's song was all kinds of win. So hilarious.  I also loved the giants and Dwarves of equal height.

And the way Roberta kept rolling her eyes all through that Giants vs. Dwarves number as she tried to talk sense into both sides.

• Love 2

I didn't get the references to WSS and LM, though it's obvious now that it was mentioned, but I still was entertained. I also was glad the enchantment of Isabella was broken. It was getting close to being dragged out too much. This is a fun show, and there's just not many fun shows out there. TO is just going for it 100% too.

The Isabella scenes maybe haven't been as good as the rest of the show but I understand what they're trying to do as a whole this season, since Galavant needs a new quest. 

I have never seen Les Miserables so I didn't recognize the song as an homage/parody, but I certainly caught the West Side Story homage. In fact I can't even remember if I've ever seen West Side Story but that number is so iconic you'd almost have to live under a rock not to know it. It was definitely the highlight for me. The whole Princess Jublilee scene fell flat for me but at least Isabella finally got that damn tiara off her head. LOL at Wormword alternating between his retreating threats and advice about the wedding plans.

• Love 2