Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

(edited)

I honestly didn’t know that canned cabbage exists until Jenelle posted about it. Sauerkraut, sure, but not canned cabbage. So I guess Jenelle has taught me something, although the value of that information is questionable.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • LOL 7
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

What does "cooked from raw" even mean? As opposed to warmed up (reheated)? So is she implying she's been eating only raw food up to now, since moving onto "the land"? (I sometimes have a salad with avocado, carrots, tomato etc for dinner in the hot weather, especially if I've had protein at breakfast and lunch.) Why doesn't she just say this is the first meal she's cooked there? I just don't get the "from raw." Or maybe she considers microwaving a frozen dinner to be cooking, but just not "from raw." 

Savanah would be better off with Christine's tater tots and mock tapioca.

I think she means "not microwaved from frozen and not reheated takeout."

• Love 11
23 hours ago, Sandy W said:

You are not alone.  Just the other day, I saw a guitar and randomly wondered if Janelle would acquire one, learn a few chords, and sit around a campfire on the Plains of Plague warbling out plaintive, hurtin' cowboy songs.

Weird huh?

I would think it might be everyone sittin' there around the fire with their own open cans of cabbage and beans, maybe even potatoes and play out their own version of the campfire scene from Blazing Saddles...

• LOL 17
23 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

The only intervention that I see as potentially successful in her future is gastric bypass. So far, she has shown zero success on her own. 

KODY!!!! ARE YOU READING THIS????!!!! Money opportunity and tv show boost here! Contact dr Now in Houston and TLC and enlist Janelle for my 600lb life...

image.png.74075e9551e93d7cf2391e1dba478c70.png

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9

@CouchTater, that’s what I say too, and I don’t think we are unusual. Either Jenelle couldn’t remember the phrase when she posted, it’s a regional saying that I’ve never heard of (quite possible; I’ve never lived that far west), or it’s one of the weird Brown sayings, like “pink elephant.” My money is on the last one.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I honestly didn’t know that canned cabbage exists until Jenelle posted about it. Sauerkraut, sure, but not canned cabbage. So I guess Jenelle has taught me something, although the value of that information is questionable.

That brand that she was feeding Axel is actually a pretty good brand and it has a southern seasoning flavor.  Great if you don't want to buy a head of cabbage.  I like cabbage but don't want to eat it multiple times a week, trying to finish it off.  

6 hours ago, CouchTater said:

I think her "from raw" is my "from scratch?"  I've never once used or heard "from raw" before.  

True, I think she meant from scratch.  People always complain about the cost of food.  But cooking everything from scratch will save you some money.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, Roslyn said:

I would think it might be everyone sittin' there around the fire with their own open cans of cabbage and beans, maybe even potatoes and play out their own version of the campfire scene from Blazing Saddles...

Oh dear god.

• LOL 7
(edited)

I just read an article about a girl in Colorado who died of prairie dog plague: The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment is urging the community to be cautious after a 10-year-old girl died in La Plata, Colorado from the plague — the state's first death from the disease in six years. 

Be careful Savannah, Truely and all.  If you drop a toasted marshmallow on the ground, don't stick it in your mouth!  And don't dig around in the ground or sit outside when the wind is blowing prairie plague dust in your eyes, mouth & nose.  Who flattened the ground for the RV "pad"?

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Roslyn said:

The amount of farts 💨 that will produce 🤣

It will be heard a mile away 

and the smell 🤢

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, deirdra said:

I just read an article about a girl in Colorado who died of prairie dog plague: The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment is urging the community to be cautious after a 10-year-old girl died in La Plata, Colorado from the plague — the state's first death from the disease in six years. 

Be careful Savannah, Truely and all.  If you drop a toasted marshmallow on the ground, don't stick it in your mouth!  And don't dig around in the ground or sit outside when the wind is blowing prairie plague dust in your eyes, mouth & nose.  Who flattened the ground for the RV "pad"?

I watch a woman RV dweller on YouTube that lives and travels mostly in the desert Southwest.  She got an URI that wouldn't go away and was having a lot of problems.  They finally determined it was from all the dirt/dust she was around all the time.  People who live in their RV's open the windows for air and ventilation.  So it gets every where on the inside of your rig and then you also bring it in on your body and any pets you might have.  It didn't go away until she got her rig cleaned well and went to stay in a hotel for several weeks. 

So yes you could easily pick something up being around it all the time.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, deirdra said:

Sadly, the Browns were the first thing I thought of when I read that story.  So sad that poor child had to die.  I hope the Browns take their land use serious in regards to these prairie dogs. I know, it’s the Browns 🙄  I mean I guess it will give Robyn a reason to tell Kody he can’t enjoy al fresco dinners anymore, but hoping Janelle is taking precautions and keeping everyone out of the “pond”.

• Love 9
(edited)

You guys have really done it.  Now I cannot use the stove without thinking of Janelle. This morning I poached a bunch of chicken "from raw" to eat some and portion off the rest to eat cold or rewarmed in the microwave rather than heat up the kitchen later this summer. Buying raw 1-ingredient real foods when they are on sale rather than processed or take-out foods is how I save a lot of money and eat healthfully. 

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, deirdra said:

This morning I poached a bunch of chicken "from raw" to eat some and portion off the rest to eat cold or rewarmed in the microwave rather than heat up the kitchen later this summer. Buying raw 1-ingredient real foods when they are on sale rather than processed or take-out foods is how I save a lot of money and eat healthfully.

This is logical.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, deirdra said:

You guys have really done it.  Now I cannot use the stove without thinking of Janelle. This morning I poached a bunch of chicken "from raw" to eat some and portion off the rest to eat cold or rewarmed in the microwave rather than heat up the kitchen later this summer. Buying raw 1-ingredient real foods when they are on sale rather than processed or take-out foods is how I save a lot of money and eat healthfully. 

Be careful! You may find yourself suddenly needing a metal wall sculpture of fire-farting horses soon!

I am a very lazy cook, because I have dealt with the two pickiest eaters on the planet for the last 27 years. Now I'm down to one, but he's the worst in the critiquing dept, though he doesn't cook. (He can, he just doesn't, except for rare family events. He makes the best chicken fried rice!)

I loathe cooking now, but I still do it daily, and definitely don't make a big deal about it-ok, maybe inside my head I do-but it's really not that hard, or really all that time consuming, and I don't yet have an instant pot like Janelle! She makes everything sound like she's climbing Everest sans oxygen tanks.

• LOL 9
  • Love 4

I can't figure out what she did to that salmon. If she breaded it and then put the lid on the pot, the moisture stays in and turns breading to mush. Maybe it's some kind of sauce. A photo like that begs for an explanation. 

Successful weight loss surgery takes tons of self-discipline from months before surgery to the end of one's life. My dear relative has been successful, but it's a daily struggle. He told me the required counseling group was mostly depressed women, who spent the sessions wanting to complain about the people in their lives.  Most didn't make it to the actual surgery. If Janelle couldn't get a lump on her face taken care of before it got huge, she's not going to be looking for major surgery as a fix. An overpriced vitamin powder isn't going to do much either, and drinking up your inventory is expensive. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

I don't think Janelle knows what monsoon means...

And I told my husband about the "from raw" cooking revelation that Janelle had.  Now he can't stop using the reference.  He is now asking about dinner...and will it be from raw??

😂

• LOL 19
15 minutes ago, deirdra said:

How did the monsoon create hills of dirt?  It looks more like it has been dumped by a truck.

It's a before-and-after, the mounds of dirt are in both. Her attempt to show how much greener it is since the rain.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 7/23/2021 at 7:05 PM, Pickleinthemiddle said:

This. I can eat very cheaply on a vegan diet—but I get what’s in season or on sale, not fancy-pants food. Freezing and canning what’s in season is useful, too, as is having a garden/bucket plants (for those who have the space) to freeze and can those veggies. 

edit: I don’t know where the quote went

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

It's a before-and-after, the mounds of dirt are in both. Her attempt to show how much greener it is since the rain.

Ah, thanks.  Or winter brown vs. Spring/Summer green.  From "Monsoon" I was assuming she'd witnessed some of the major Arizona flooding seen on TeeVee, not just "rain".

• Love 3

These are some convoluted questions, but most things involving the Browns are so anyway:

• If Janelle continues to live in the RV, does she get a homestead exemption for it and the land it’s on up to $150,000 even though it’s an RV?  I’m not sure if Janelle owns the RV alone or at all, but for this question I’ll say she owns it alone.
  • If the exemption exists for Janelle, what happens if somebody say Kody owns the prairie dog plague lot with Janelle, and Kody files bankruptcy?Does the homestead exemption still apply for Janelle for the exemption value of the RV and whatever amount of land would equal in total that exemption value?
  • Since this is all undeveloped land would they just tell Janelle to take her trailer and beat it?

Thanks for any answers, my only legal knowledge comes from Law & Order reruns 😔

• Useful 1
  • LOL 5
6 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I cropped out the rest of the post. It’s just Plexus babble.

I thought this was interesting coming from Janelle:

3AA7E9BF-DBB8-4BCA-9157-DE52848D1872.jpeg

CA6697D9-5852-4E34-9C12-6547E0FACE99.jpeg

She’s got to be trolling us, right?  Could ANYONE have that little self awareness?  The irony, it burns. 

• Love 15

For as fair and pale-skinned as she is, if Google is correct and she's 52, she's not too bad.  Though, I'm a year older and look a lot younger, even with a lot of  health issues. (Pain ages you so fast!)

If I did something about the gray's that are taking over my dark brunette hair, I'd look even younger, but I am lazy and don't want the upkeep, and don't want to look like Maddie or Mykelti with their many shades of color. (I also kind of like them in a weird way. I also like blaming the gray on my son and husband, lol)

• Love 12
12 hours ago, WhatAmIWatching said:

For as fair and pale-skinned as she is, if Google is correct and she's 52, she's not too bad.  Though, I'm a year older and look a lot younger, even with a lot of  health issues. (Pain ages you so fast!)

Yeah, I looked a lot younger at 52 myself, but it doesn't help that she takes closeup pictures of herself in THE worst possible light with zero makeup and hair a mess either.  But it doesn't surprise me that she can't even bother to take a good selfie.  Why does she insist on bombarding us with lousy photos of herself?  I don't get it.

I just caught up on this thread and think her defensiveness about choosing to live in the RV is telling and I'm not buying it.  I do think it was voluntary but she's probably doing it to be a martyr and/or to thumb her nose at all the other wives, like she's showing them up with her non-materialism.  She also probably thinks it pleases Kody that she is like the opposite of the rest of them and will martyr herself to please him.  Yes, she CHOSE to carry that cross to prove herself to everyone.  Kody didn't make her do it, yeah, OK but in the end she's still doing it because she thinks it wins his favor, I'm sure.

And the "cooking from raw" thing - I take that to mean that it's the first time she cooked something from scratch using raw ingredients, as in not out of a frozen bag of semi-prepared or already cooked food.  Which could mean anything from a frozen fish filet and steam bag veggies to frozen lasagna and breaded chicken patties.  But leave it to her to use her "instapot" (gag) to make the most unappetizing salmon I've seen in a long time.  Whatever unidentifiable stuff is on top of it looks like mush.

• Love 11
On 7/22/2021 at 2:18 PM, Sandy W said:

You are not alone.  Just the other day, I saw a guitar and randomly wondered if Janelle would acquire one, learn a few chords, and sit around a campfire on the Plains of Plague warbling out plaintive, hurtin' cowboy songs.

I am teaching an adult how to play guitar.  She is highly motivated, but the struggle is real, and the fingers are not wanting to make the right shape at the correct angle to make a fairly simple chord.  However, she is determined to stick with it and keep practising slowly, consistently, every day until it starts to stick.

All that to say - Janelle will never learn to play a few chords.   🙄

• Love 12
20 hours ago, Yeah No said:

But leave it to her to use her "instapot" (gag) to make the most unappetizing salmon I've seen in a long time.  Whatever unidentifiable stuff is on top of it looks like mush.

The crazy thing is it's so easy to make delicious baked salmon with any kind of glaze on top. I've been doing it with mango chutney, and I'm no sort of cook.

• Love 8

My SIL makes a marvelous macadamia glaze.  I wonder if I can pry the recipe from him.

Janelle never seems to make any effort to make food look palatable much less interesting or pretty.  

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

The crazy thing is it's so easy to make delicious baked salmon with any kind of glaze on top. I've been doing it with mango chutney, and I'm no sort of cook.

Yup I do similar with Kikkoman Takumi Teriyaki sauce or sweet chili sauce mixed with soy sauce.  So easy and looks and tastes restaurant quality too.  One of my favorite easy dinners in the rotation.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Yup I do similar with Kikkoman Takumi Teriyaki sauce or sweet chili sauce mixed with soy sauce.  So easy and looks and tastes restaurant quality too.  One of my favorite easy dinners in the rotation.

When my daughter cooked a lot she often made her and her husband salmon with a honey mustard sauce or a smoked teriyaki sauce. 

• Love 5

I'll eat salmon any day of the week, any time, but I would not eat Janelle's version.

Wouldn't an insta-pot or however she cooks it, make it soggy and gross?  It certainly appears like that, to me.  Kind of like pureeing it or something?  Like overcooked broccoli?  Ew.

• Love 7
On 7/30/2021 at 12:51 PM, ginger90 said:

I cropped out the rest of the post. It’s just Plexus babble.

I thought this was interesting coming from Janelle:

3AA7E9BF-DBB8-4BCA-9157-DE52848D1872.jpeg

CA6697D9-5852-4E34-9C12-6547E0FACE99.jpeg

Gee, such words of wisdom, what's next. Don't be surprised if you go outside when its raining, because you will get wet? 

• LOL 9
8 minutes ago, Teafortwo said:

She's gonna need transportation to get up that Main Street - it's very steep!

She probably won't get past the first "cute shop".  She will spend several hours deciding whether to buy the pink or green candle.

• LOL 8

Wouldn't an insta-pot or however she cooks it, make it soggy and gross?  It certainly appears like that, to me.  Kind of like pureeing it or something?  Like overcooked broccoli?  Ew.

I made salmon in the crock pot one time and it was fine - but kind of pointless since fish cooks so quickly anyway...

• Useful 3
  • Love 6