Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

(edited)
23 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

e, she's all, "Look!  What are all these round things that come in a variety of colors?  Apples!!  Have you heard of them?  They are delicious!"

But NEVER grapes or oranges, that way lies ruin.

Edited by Chicklet
  • LOL 15

I only buy salad kits if I am having someone over, otherwise they are way too expensive. If it is just me, I buy a head of lettuce, some tomato, red onion and a cucumber and always have some type of dressing in the fridge. For what she pays for one of these, I can do at least 5 salads. No wonder they are broke

• Love 12
On 2/18/2021 at 9:06 PM, Absolom said:

Anyone with an immune disorder should be cautious using melatonin.  Especially with lupus it can cause flare-ups.  It does help most people with sleep though.

So more of Janelle's kind of half-baked advice.

What is the research behind melatonin being a problem for those with autoimmune disorders? Melatonin is natural occurring hormone that diminishes with age. What cautions are to be considered?

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, OdinO. said:

What is the research behind melatonin being a problem for those with autoimmune disorders? Melatonin is natural occurring hormone that diminishes with age. What cautions are to be considered?

I'd say the best approach if one has an autoimmune disorder and wants to try melatonin is discuss it with the rheumatologist.  Mine said it was OK to try a half dose for a week and see what happened.  The bottles are labeled to be aware it can be a problem.  Three days in I popped a flare up.  

There are a lot of naturally occurring substances and even hormones that can cause autoimmune problems. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Love melatonin, but I can only take it a couple nights in a row, then I have to give it a rest for a couple of nights.  If I take it too long I end up having horrible nightmares.  It really works for me, though.  I have arthritis, but haven't noticed any flare ups.  However, I'm on Celebrex, so that may have something to do with it.  YMMV.  😁

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

I'd say the best approach if one has an autoimmune disorder and wants to try melatonin is discuss it with the rheumatologist.  Mine said it was OK to try a half dose for a week and see what happened.  The bottles are labeled to be aware it can be a problem.  Three days in I popped a flare up.  

There are a lot of naturally occurring substances and even hormones that can cause autoimmune problems. 

My 84  mother has sleep disturbance due to long hospitalization. She has Sjogren's syndrome but the doctor suggested melatonin to help reset her circadian cycle. Thanks for the info.

• Useful 1
7 hours ago, laurakaye said:

It's like every time this woman steps foot in a grocery store and ventures beyond the Salty Snacks aisle, she's all, "Look!  What are all these round things that come in a variety of colors?  Apples!!  Have you heard of them?  They are delicious!"

Froot Loops, more likely.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

I'd love one of Janelle's discount shirts or aprons...if my name was Janelle.  Why would I ever wear a shirt with her name on it?

Exactly.....It's like Amy Rollof of "Little People Big World", she sticks her name on her merchandise... her mugs and other items have her name on them.... I don't want "Gather with Amy" on my mug or a shirt with "Amy Roloff's Little Kitchen" printed across the front.

I also don't want a shirt or mug with "Strive with Janelle" 🙄

• LOL 2
  • Love 7
(edited)
On 3/4/2021 at 3:34 PM, MargeGunderson said:

Wait a second, did Janelle just invent putting cooked chicken breast on a salad? My god, she’s an inspiration!

And yet she doesn’t look like she’s lost an ounce! There’s gotta be a tub of ice cream hidden just out of sight. 

But seriously, if Janelle were eating JUST they kind of meals she shares with people, she would be 100lb lighter even with a poor metabolism. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • Love 5
45 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

And yet she doesn’t look like she’s lost an ounce! There’s gotta be a tub of ice cream hidden just out of sight. 

But seriously, if Janelle were eating JUST they kind of meals she shares with people, she would be 100lb lighter even with a poor metabolism. 

I can't speak for Janelle, but even if I posted a photo of everything I ate on the exercise thread and how many steps I did in a day people would accuse me of having a hidden tub of ice cream hidden out of sight.  When I did Jenny Craig 9 years ago I followed the diet to the letter (and it's mostly their food) and didn't lose a pound after 2 months.  The counselor started to insinuate that I was lying to her and after a while I got fed up with it and quit.  I said, "Do you think I would spend all this money on this diet just to sneak food and then lie to you about it?"  The manager actually apologized for the counselor's behavior, but I quit anyway because the diet wasn't working.  In fact since menopause most diets don't work for me.  The only one that worked was the near starvation diet I was forced to be on when they couldn't get the gallstones out of my bile duct for several months a couple of years ago (they finally did).  I lost weight rapidly and was actually successful at keeping most of it off until the pandemic hit.  Since the pandemic my lifestyle has been severely limited and nothing I have tried has worked.  I couldn't get the amount of exercise I once did for many reasons.  I feel like I keep cutting back and exercising more and the scale just keeps going up.  I was also dealing with the death of my father and his apartment last year which didn't help.  And I wasn't about to go on a starvation diet of less than 1000 calories a day, but on my own I think that's the only thing that would work at this point.  I am looking into a medical weight loss program at my local hospital that takes a wholistic approach to find the causes of your weight problem, then addresses each one, whether that means prescribing medication or diet or whatever.  I think at this point Janelle should be looking into that too because I get the feeling her issues are at least as bad as mine and might be medically based. 

For me I know that genes play a huge role in this.  What's happening to me post menopause (I was a normal weight before that) is exactly what happened to my mother, my grandmother and my great grandmother all down the female side of my family.  Everyone (including men) was fat in my great grandmother's family and I have the photos to prove it.  Even back in the 1930s in Harlem when food was scarce, they were incredibly obese - something that at that time was a rarity.  Again, I can't speak for Janelle but I am sure she needs to seek a medical weight loss program at this point - one that focuses on the root causes of your weight problem and helps you find multiple approaches to get it under control.  I realize I can't do this by myself and it's no reflection on me and what I have tried in the past.  I think Janelle needs to get to that point herself, but unfortunately she doesn't seem to get it.  She needs some motivation - She is at least 10 years younger than me - when her blood pressure and cholesterol start going up maybe then she'll wake up.  One can only hope!

• Love 15
12 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I can't speak for Janelle, but even if I posted a photo of everything I ate on the exercise thread and how many steps I did in a day people would accuse me of having a hidden tub of ice cream hidden out of sight.  When I did Jenny Craig 9 years ago I followed the diet to the letter (and it's mostly their food) and didn't lose a pound after 2 months.  The counselor started to insinuate that I was lying to her and after a while I got fed up with it and quit.  I said, "Do you think I would spend all this money on this diet just to sneak food and then lie to you about it?"  The manager actually apologized for the counselor's behavior, but I quit anyway because the diet wasn't working.  In fact since menopause most diets don't work for me.  The only one that worked was the near starvation diet I was forced to be on when they couldn't get the gallstones out of my bile duct for several months a couple of years ago (they finally did).  I lost weight rapidly and was actually successful at keeping most of it off until the pandemic hit.  Since the pandemic my lifestyle has been severely limited and nothing I have tried has worked.  I couldn't get the amount of exercise I once did for many reasons.  I feel like I keep cutting back and exercising more and the scale just keeps going up.  I was also dealing with the death of my father and his apartment last year which didn't help.  And I wasn't about to go on a starvation diet of less than 1000 calories a day, but on my own I think that's the only thing that would work at this point.  I am looking into a medical weight loss program at my local hospital that takes a wholistic approach to find the causes of your weight problem, then addresses each one, whether that means prescribing medication or diet or whatever.  I think at this point Janelle should be looking into that too because I get the feeling her issues are at least as bad as mine and might be medically based. 

For me I know that genes play a huge role in this.  What's happening to me post menopause (I was a normal weight before that) is exactly what happened to my mother, my grandmother and my great grandmother all down the female side of my family.  Everyone (including men) was fat in my great grandmother's family and I have the photos to prove it.  Even back in the 1930s in Harlem when food was scarce, they were incredibly obese - something that at that time was a rarity.  Again, I can't speak for Janelle but I am sure she needs to seek a medical weight loss program at this point - one that focuses on the root causes of your weight problem and helps you find multiple approaches to get it under control.  I realize I can't do this by myself and it's no reflection on me and what I have tried in the past.  I think Janelle needs to get to that point herself, but unfortunately she doesn't seem to get it.  She needs some motivation - She is at least 10 years younger than me - when her blood pressure and cholesterol start going up maybe then she'll wake up.  One can only hope!

I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be insensitive (I am a little towards Janelle) but I get it. I also have unfortunate genes. I work out 2 hours a day and eat just 1500 calories just to stay where I’m at. It’s a product of getting older and genetics. I’ll totally gain weight if I stray—some days I’m grateful for celiac disease and a dairy allergy. It keeps me on track. 

Janelle is clueless. In this last episode she said she’d never heard of the term “basement wife”. She’s also never heard of a lot of other things. I honestly don’t think she’s got a base knowledge of this health profession that she’s in snd she does not belong there. I’d have empathy for her if she’d stop the Strive shit. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to be insensitive (I am a little towards Janelle) but I get it. I also have unfortunate genes. I work out 2 hours a day and eat just 1500 calories just to stay where I’m at. It’s a product of getting older and genetics. I’ll totally gain weight if I stray—some days I’m grateful for celiac disease and a dairy allergy. It keeps me on track. 

Janelle is clueless. In this last episode she said she’d never heard of the term “basement wife”. She’s also never heard of a lot of other things. I honestly don’t think she’s got a base knowledge of this health profession that she’s in snd she does not belong there. I’d have empathy for her if she’d stop the Strive shit. 

Oh no, I didn't think you were being insensitive.  I am a little insensitive toward Janelle myself because she is so very frustrating.  One would think that after all this time getting nowhere with diets she would be looking for a medical weight loss clinic.  For someone that supposedly has some kind of certificate or whatever she has she seems to know next to nothing, and lack self awareness.  She is too complacent about everything.  She's not content, she's just deadened herself to wanting anything better for herself.  If anyone should be called the "basement wife" it's probably her, but she always acts like "oh, don't mind little old me, I'm fine".  At least Christine acknowledges that she's getting the short end of the stick and feels the pain of feeling neglected.  If Janelle really thought about it, she'd realize she isn't getting any stick at all (LOL, I realize how that sounds) and that would bother her.

• Love 7
(edited)

basal cell cancer is malignant- it just doesnt spread quickly but can spread and even kill you when idiots think its a growing scar, I've had a bunch removed as I am not an idiot. And to further clarify:

The vast majority of skin cancers are basal cell carcinomas and squamous cell carcinomas. While malignant, these are unlikely to spread to other parts of the body if treated early. They may be locally disfiguring if not treated early. The disfigurement can be related to the extensive surgery needed to remove the cancer, It's not pretty,

A small but significant number of skin cancers are malignant melanomas. Malignant melanoma is a highly aggressive cancer that tends to spread to other parts of the body. These cancers may be fatal if not treated early.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Useful 6
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

basal cell cancer is malignant- it just doesnt spread quickly but can spread and even kill you when idiots think its a growing scar, I've had a bunch removed as I am not an idiot.

Can be but is most often benign.  

THE DOCTOR'S WORLD; BASAL CELL CANCER: MOST BENIGN MALIGNANCY - NY Times

Basal cell skin cancers can be disfiguring and are costly to treat because of the time and effort that doctors spend in removing them, a step doctors recommend because when these growths are neglected, they can cause severe local damage. Left untreated, the cancers can penetrate to damage underlying nerves and bone and, depending on their location, can burrow through the skull and invade the brain.

Basal cells are not the same as the form of skin cancer known as malignant melanomas, potentially fatal malignancies that used to be rare...

Could Benign Skin Cancers Foretell Something Worse? - MedPage Today

Basal cell carcinoma (BCC) is most often a benign form of skin cancer caused by exposure to ultraviolet (UV) light. However, it’s the most frequently occurring form of all skin cancers, with more than 3 million people developing BCC in the U.S. every year.1

How do cancer cells grow and spread? - National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine - nih.gov

Benign growths can become dangerous if they grow a lot, or they might become malignant after a certain amount of time.  (bolding mine)

• Useful 3

As you said its a malignancy. Cancer. Even if slow growing and every dermatologist I work with removes them as soon as they are found. I wouldn't be a Janelle and ignore a growth.

• Useful 1
23 hours ago, ginger90 said:

5DD6807D-4EF5-44CB-B64E-93EE563C8960.jpeg

She’s a freaking moron. 🤦‍♀️

I saw this very product on sale at RiteAid today.  It was sitting on the bottom shelf.  I immediately thought of @ginger90's post and smiled.  In fact, I wouldn't had paid attention or known otherwise.  But, if it's readily available in WalMart and RiteAid, I don't think it can rise to the level of rockstar elixir. 

• LOL 4
(edited)
On 3/5/2021 at 7:34 AM, laurakaye said:

Oranges have to be peeled.  Too much work.

and the white stuff sticks under your fingernails and your hands get sticky. A pain if there is no water nearby. Mandarins/tangerines aren't as bad.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, Chicklet said:

As you said its a malignancy. Cancer. Even if slow growing and every dermatologist I work with removes them as soon as they are found. I wouldn't be a Janelle and ignore a growth.

The citations above indicate BCC is most often benign but yes, it can become malignant so there is no argument whether BCC should be removed once found.  Although generally, because it is slow growing there is not the urgency that one may assume.   Cancerous cells are cells that grow abnormally and uncontrollably, they form tumors, those tumors can be classified at any given time as benign or malignant.  Most often a malignant tumor is referred to in the general sense as cancer, while for accuracy a tumor that is benign is a carcinoma. This is a distinction that has been not been effectively relayed to the layman.  Additionally, for brevity, and over time, this has most often come across as malignant = cancer whereas benign ≠ cancer but technically both are tumors consisting of cancerous cells.

• Useful 3