Type keyword(s) to search

Janelle Brown: Smarter Than Your Average Brown (Maybe)

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

Well. Janelle has come up with a way to keep herself "on track" and get the punters to pay her for it !!

Janelle is one of the conductors on the Crazy Train, going nowhere but in circles.

• LOL 8

I really wonder what Janelle’s useful contribution to the group is. I’m guessing it’s very little, and her partner and the participants are the ones that really supporting each other. (I don’t wonder enough to join; I haven’t lost my mind.)

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
12 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I really wonder what Janelle’s useful contribution to the group is. I’m guessing it’s very little, and her partner and the participants are the ones that really supporting each other. (I don’t wonder enough to join; I haven’t lost my mind.)

Janelle brings her "celebrity" cachet.  they couldn't get Whitney Thore.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Sandy W said:
11 hours ago, Roslyn said:

Well. Janelle has come up with a way to keep herself "on track" and get the punters to pay her for it !!

Janelle is one of the conductors on the Crazy Train, going nowhere but in circles

Circling from the drive-thru to the couch and back 

• LOL 11

If she needs to go somewhere else, she will stop at a drive through.  I remember one post where she stopped at two drive-throughs because one of the kids wanted a different brand of junk food. I think they were on the way home from supporting a local (closed) cinema by buying a monster bag of popcorn curbside.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Yeah right, look at that face, she's on a sugar and carb high. I'm usually on my phone but I caught this photo and one of Maddie on my PC screen, seemingly larger than life. Yowzer!

• Love 6
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Screenshot from a video, where Janelle states she feels so much better after cleaning out her cupboards, and not eating “crap”.

E51C7460-F158-4511-BCE3-250127849129.jpeg

The real issue isn't "celebrating" cleaning the cupboards, but buying the "crap" in the first place.  Supposedly Janelle is the frugal, conscious of finances wife and I abhor the thought of buying food to sit in the pantry and then get tossed to "rescue" you from eating it.  Change your shopping habits and you won't NEED to save yourself from eating "crap".

• Love 10
5 minutes ago, Roslyn said:

Change your shopping habits and you won't NEED to save yourself from eating "crap".

That's where dieting begins and sometimes ends.  If you don't bring it into the house, you aren't going to consume it, especially during the pandemic.  Janelle had world's most shining opportunity to change her eating habits by simply not buying "junk food" for the last ten months.  She could have easily shed 30 to 50 pounds over that time.

• Love 9

I find that if I have a shopping list with me, I'm a lot less likely to buy crap (although I've been known to succumb from time to time, particularly during the holidays). 

If I had adult kids living with me, I'd enlist their help in staying on track food wise. It looks like Garrison is living there now, along with Gabe. She should reach out instead of using the age old excuse "I have to buy this junk food for the kids".

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Elodia said:

Reminds me of the meme "I have removed all the bad food from my house. It was delicious" 

The challenge doesn't start until Jan 18th ... 10 more days to "clean" out the cupboards.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

You know, I wish she would just own it.  Admit she loves all the junk and is heavy and she’s happy that way.  So much more respect if she just owned it instead of acting like she’s all healthy. 

• Love 18
42 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Cue future gastrointestinal distress.

This should be good for several blogs about the effects of acidic vs alkaline products on the gut.

I wonder if she found these tucked away in the recesses of her cupboards when she did her recent purge.  They may have been hidden behind the 10 pound bag of peppermint tea and tins of canned cabbage.

• LOL 6
  • Love 4

::smh::  Why can't she stick to plain water, add a lemon slice if it's too boring?  She still hasn't figured out to cut the sugar and almost all empty calories.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 9
On 1/8/2021 at 12:01 PM, Absolom said:

That's where dieting begins and sometimes ends.  If you don't bring it into the house, you aren't going to consume it, especially during the pandemic.  Janelle had world's most shining opportunity to change her eating habits by simply not buying "junk food" for the last ten months.  She could have easily shed 30 to 50 pounds over that time.

Which is why she's so uninspiring. It's the same cycle every year around the holiday season which we all so accurately predict. It'll undoubtedly be the same next year after Janelle gives up in March and starts buying junk food again. 

I so want to be wrong because it would be great to see this woman finally succeed (but she'd need her 2 years to keep it off before I'd award her any credibility). 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, TurtlePower said:

Which is why she's so uninspiring. It's the same cycle every year around the holiday season which we all so accurately predict. It'll undoubtedly be the same next year after Janelle gives up in March and starts buying junk food again. 

I so want to be wrong because it would be great to see this woman finally succeed (but she'd need her 2 years to keep it off before I'd award her any credibility). 

I give her until February 15th when the half price Valentine's candy is available. 

That bottom photo looks like something my sister's dog threw up, and it IS possible to have a clean stovetop in REAL LIFE. She couldn't be bothered to spend 30 seconds with a towel? Please.

• Love 11

Those two dishes are actually pretty good for her.  They don't look appealing in her photos, but are things my healthy eating kids have made.  I've even made the second one.  The version I made was both healthy and tasty.

• Love 7

I just don’t understand what is so hard in her life that she doesn’t have time to make dinner at night. She doesn’t have a job, her kids aren’t young anymore, she doesn’t seem to have any hobbies (beyond whining about how hard everything is), and we all know that Kody doesn’t put any demands on her time. WTF does she do all day that take all of her time and energy?

• Love 18
38 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I just don’t understand what is so hard in her life that she doesn’t have time to make dinner at night. She doesn’t have a job, her kids aren’t young anymore, she doesn’t seem to have any hobbies (beyond whining about how hard everything is), and we all know that Kody doesn’t put any demands on her time. WTF does she do all day that take all of her time and energy?

That's what I always wonder too.  And a sandwich on whole wheat bread isn't that bad for you.  2 slices of Nature's Own bread is 120 calories.  Admittedly, I'm not tracking carbs.  It is still better and cheaper than getting fast food.

• Love 9
24 minutes ago, skipnjump said:

That's what I always wonder too.  And a sandwich on whole wheat bread isn't that bad for you.  2 slices of Nature's Own bread is 120 calories.  Admittedly, I'm not tracking carbs.  It is still better and cheaper than getting fast food.

Add some mustard, lean turkey, tomato, lettuce, cucumber, bell pepper, onion, etc, and it can be quite balanced.

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, DakotaJustice said:

I think her issue is portion control. It's probably 2 sandwiches. Or more.

I have a feeling that Janelle wolfs her food down before her stomach tells her she's full.  I could see her chowing down on a sandwich enroute from the counter to the table.  If she sat down at a nicely set table and savored her meal bite by bite, she would probably consume far less.

• Love 8

Carbs drive insulin release and insulin is the fat-storage hormone. They also tend to drive cravings for more and more carbs in those who are sensitive to them because grains contain gliamorphins. Janelle seems to avoid dairy, which is a good way to avoid adding casomorphins that drive cravings. too Fat people have more fat cells and the hormonal drive to keep them full is ever present.  These all affect me and caused me to gain 80 lbs over the years.  But grain-free dairy-free low-carb REAL foods have been my salvation. I have no cravings or compulsions to overeat, which I never thought was even possible  during my 40 years on every other diet (and non-diets.  COVID restrictions helped me lose the last 15 lbs because I only bought real foods when at the grocery store 2-3 times a month. I make a lot of ugly one-pot meals, but don't post pics of them on SM. Keeping only allowable food in the house is the way to go, and learn how to make treats that are not junk.  If Gabe wants junk he can drive.

9 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

I have a feeling that Janelle wolfs her food down before her stomach tells her she's full.  I could see her chowing down on a sandwich enroute from the counter to the table.  

Table?  I suspect she flops into her La-Z-Boy and uses it for a napkin.  Confession here, I do sometimes eat in my La-Z-Boy while watching TV, but DO use a proper-height table, napkin, real plates & cutlery.

Edited by deirdra
  • Useful 4
  • Love 5

"In line with my previous post about how much better I feel when I'm eating good (shocker - when I eat good, it doesn't automatically come out the other end) - managed to get a few things cooked this week (I had to use up the veggies in my fridge before they liquified).  If I don't plan ahead I end up defaulting to a sandwich or takeout (and I typically only plan ahead a couple of times a month when you people want another *&%^ Strive post).  And while sandwiches aren't bad (they actually pretty much suck unless I can load them with as much processed crap as I can fit on two slices of Wonder bread)  - they don't always digest well for me (digestion is such a b!tch, y'all.  You feel me?) and there is a good chance they will contain more carbs and fat than I am after (and I am only after like 75% of my diet to be made up of carbs and fat).  Yea (it's YEAH, Janelle) I know I can wrap in lettuce etc. (in other words - shut it about lettuce wraps, I literally don't even want to hear about it - the warm peanut butter melts right off the Fritos, slides through the lettuce and into my lap so again, SHUT IT) but honestly a warm real food meal works better for me (because who doesn't like a warm real food meal, amirite?  Like a few Filet-O-Fishes and fries....yummmm).  Made a low fat turkey burger pot pie (turned out pretty well) (the dog wouldn't even go near it) and a pot of curried butternut squash and lentils (this should satisfy you wacko Strivers who are actually paying me to give you health and nutrition advice - suckers.  Now get off my back for a few weeks).  (Excuse the dirty stove and crappy light - it's real life you guys). (Rather than take a couple of minutes to either clean my stove or crop the pictures so the stove doesn't show, I thought I would beat you all to the punch and comment on my disgusting stove and horrible lighting before you all have a chance to say anything.  Bet you feel pretty stupid now, don't you?  Jerks).

Make checks out to "STRIVE With Janelle."

Edited by laurakaye
  • LOL 19
  • Love 3
On 1/13/2021 at 12:21 PM, laurakaye said:

and there is a good chance they will contain more carbs and fat than I am after (and I am only after like 75% of my diet to be made up of carbs and fat). 

Numerous times I've asked Janelle (in my head) WHERE'S THE PROTEIN?, and where she gave a complete recipe I calculated the amounts of carbs, fat & protein.  Many of them contain a measly 2-14% protein, so they are 86-98% carbs & fat. She'd feel full sooner & longer if she ate at least 15% protein at a sitting.

• Useful 3
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

I often wonder if any of the Browns read here. 

3 hours ago, DakotaJustice said:

I often wonder if any of the Browns read here. 

My guess is not. I think they feel they are above any criticism and don't even read  the negative posts... What negative posts?? Yeah really!

• Love 4

Blah, blah, blah.... Janelle... "Queen of the freaking obvious". 

And after enlightening everyone with her knowledge of humidifiers and their benefits...she posts a picture of a diffuser. 🙄 

I have the same diffuser in my ensuite bathroom.

• LOL 17
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Bets on Janelle cleaning the humidifier.....

Someone asked what brand she uses, she replied, “ I usually buy one that has the easiest day to day maintenance:) “.

I'm surprised she didn't just tell them to Google it. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, suomi said:

She can really sling the bull. She could support herself in style by selling bull-slinging seminars.

The shocking audacity of her!  She has been involved with various health and wellness/weight loss programs since pretty well the start of the show...with NO appreciable results.  This program with Tricia has been in existence for at least year, I have not seen photos of Tricia, maybe she is a glowing picture of health and is of an appropriate weight for her stature.  Janelle isn't, and she has some nerve to call the troops to action to follow her to nowhere.

• Love 11